Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forgotten Realms (Pathfinder)

Rivine

Supernova
New_Forgotten_Realms_logo.png

Hello! If you're viewing this thread I assume that you're drawn in by one of three things; D&D, Pathfinder or the lovely setting known as the Forgotten Realms. The purpose of this thread is to gather like minded people who are lovers of at least one of the aforementioned things, if not two, or better yet all three! I am interested in getting a group together to run a game based in the Forgotten Realms setting. We would use either D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder classes and rules, which we go with is up for discussion.

As for the game itself I am more than willing to act as the DM, but I'm also open to having a co-DM or someone else running it if they so desire. Honestly I'd love to have someone else as a co-DM, since that would make moving the plot along a bit easier and it wouldn't be entirely dependent on me.

There are a few pertinent details about the setting that I'd like everyone to know. First, our RP will be set before any of the events that take place according to 4th and 5th edition D&D timelines. Therefore we will be sticking to the 3rd edition geography. Some of the plots may even take place before the Time of Troubles.

For the plot I have a few different ideas right now.
  • Our characters have been hired to investigate odd happenings in the small city of Loudwater. But when they reach the outskirts of the town they discover that a pale mist has fallen over the place. Motes of “dust” float through the air and horrors out of nightmares haunt the streets. The party find themselves thrown into the midst of this and must figure out what is going on.
  • Thousands Away From Home : The Thousand Spears (a mercenary band of which are character are members or hire ons) find themselves far away from their normal territory the Dragon Coast hired by a prince of Mulhorand to help him overthrow the pharaoh. But in their first battle against the pharaoh's armies their patron is slain and his army disintegrated, save for the Thousand Spears. Stranded now many leagues from home, surrounded by enemies, the Thousand Spears (and our characters) must find a way to return home.
  • By Fire or Ice : A caravan moves slowly up the steep slopes of a pass, moving deeper into the mountain range known as the Spine of the World. Our characters are guards who have hired on to protect the merchants, clerics and settlers who are attempting to reach the Ten Towns. But disaster strikes and an avalanche sweeps most of the caravan away. The survivors are faced with a choice; it is impossible to return from whence they came, so they must either brave the cold frozen glaciers of the valleys or the caverns warmed by the fiery heart of the mountains.
  • The Temple of Sharess : Our characters are adventuring companions who are investigating some ruins (location to be determined). Little did they know that a temple dedicated to the goddess of hedonism, Sharess, was located within. Upon stepping into the blessed halls they feel a pull toward one another. Will this deity induced lust change how they view each other forever or create a schism that cannot be mended?
  • More to come!

So it looks like I'll be spamming Cure Light Wounds scrolls and... Grease. Or this. Or maybe combine Grease, Memory Lapse, and Unnatural Lust into a one-stop shop!

The rules are kind of odd. But eh - I get a buff to Caligraphy so I won't complain.

One thing I really like about this group is that there are no designated healers, and we have 3 people that can heal (me, mystic and Tenshi)

Depending on how the DM ruling for spell creation goes, I'll see if I can make a positive energy based necromancy spell. There ARE rules in Pathfinder for spell creation as a downtime activity, so might be one more ;)

Just a heads up, Kelamorn is supposed to hunt necromancers. Positive necromancy, though, that might be worth allowing for the sake of magical exploration if a good argument is made. He has a +10 for identifying spells via Spellcraft, btw, +8 normally. Despite being a divine caster, the arcane just intrigues the shit outta him.

An interesting D&D historical fact. Before the Conjuration (Healing subschool bullshit, all healing spells were necromancy spells, as it dealt with the energies of life AND death, instead of just the undead. It's like restricting evocation to lighting or fire, or conjuration to celestial creatures only.... and then from then on, creating subschools that make little sense from a lore and context situation.

Really, just a little pet peeve. She would see no issues with manipulating positive and negative energy, and looking at it, she would question if making a golem or animated object is any different then creating a mindless undead creature.

I think that division arises from the need to NOT make mages all-powerful. As in, if mages can heal, then basically the rest of us are useless.

Speaking of useless, I _think_ my character sheet is done. I bought a crossbow and a sword so I'm not entirely pointless.

Yeah, but the thing is, they were never shy about allowing divine casters/healers necromancy spells, and those where never on the Arcane class lists, outside of bards. My problem is less on the not allowing wizards/arcane casters the ability to heal, but more or less on the school/label... particularly as the change came about because of morality issues. Necromancy was 'evil' and healing was 'good' after all, so healing could not be necromancy after all.

Wow, those are some ridiculously good social skills. Forget changing disposition. With rolls like those he can up and change your alignment.

And HGG, that makes sense. Do you know if that history is at all affected in the lore? My char would definitely want to learn about that.

And thats the thing. There was no history/lore change... it was more or less an arbitrary mechanics change that came out of left field. Really, the best way of looking at it is that it was rebranded/relabeled. However, looking at it, they removed all the positive energy based spells aside from Disrupt Undead from the wizard.... but left the negative energy spells.

Update on characters:

Sune'lel (Dancrilis): Aasimar Paladin, light melee fighter, support
Horatio Lee (Mystictiger): Human Bard, amazing social front man, nimble ranged fighter
Talinda Embersong (Tenshi): Human Cleric, similar role as Sune'lel, more versatile offense, less knowledge
Name Pending (Khan): Human Barbarian, tank-y front line damage dealer, danger to everything around her (can anyone slow her down once she goes wild?)
Lyre Gilrel (Hyborian Gamer Girl): Elf Wizard, fragile but extremely talented caster w/spells for days
Kelamon Milner (Kckolbe): Tiefling Inquistor, insignificant ranged support, decent skill support
Unknown (Lilithsboy): (Race?) Witch
Unknown (Rivine): (Race?) Lore Warden Fighter

So we have a solid tanky type, then 3 melee fighters who can hold their own, then 4 non-physical combat types. It's a very well-rounded and extremely adaptable group. Roles, with few exceptions, are fuzzy and could evolve a lot based on what the group experiences and how comfortable different characters are with others.

Sorry for my absence yesterday. Between lack of sleep and work I was wiped out. However, I have responded to all of your PMs!

A lot of discussion going on here! I like it, but it how about we take it over to our OOC chat?

In case anyone is interested my lore warden is going to be a dwarf by the name of Beldar Fatecarver. He's going to be fairly tall compared to most of the stout folk (over 5', perks of being a shield dwarf) and will be quite open minded and willing to experience new things (pansexual!).

Back
Top Bottom