Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Deep in the Dark..... (Conan RPG)

Grim Troll

Star
Greetings ye wanderers of the sun-lit lands, where the winds flow freely, where the ceiling has been shorn off and the great torch scorches the blistering skin of the world. But here, so far away from all you know, all that you have talked the long days of your life, well, you are not prepared. For beneath your feet, lays a whole other world, that you have only glimpsed in the shadows of your nightmares.

Some small havens are much like the surface, their inhabitants hard to distinguish from those above. They tend to their mushroom fields, to their pools of fish. They delve into veins of ore, and carve stone for their homes. They live and love, raising children, worshiping their gods, and fear the dark beyond the walls of their small settlements.

For in the darkness, monsters and worse lurk. Some where once like them, but slid into depravity and from civilization into barbarism. Some ceased that downward spiral, and cling to the edges of the bright communities, to plunder, rape and fight. Others fell so far into the darkness that they have regressed, lost their former reason and knowledge, becoming beasts in loosely human shapes. Some of the things in the dark are animals, adapted by the ages for life under the stone. Still others are people far older then mere humanity, and have little enough love for that fledgling race.

But, no matter how you arrived, there remains one question.... how long can you survive, as you search for the way out?

Greetings all. So, I'm here looking for players for a Conan RPG game that takes place in a massive cave system, that should be enough to lose the players in quite effectively. But, what is the premise of the game?

All of the players, no more then four, shall begin play with a maximum of a loincloth and perhaps one weapon, on the shores of a small pond in a cave underground, with a waterfall splashing into the pool, and glowing moss on the sides of the cave. But, none of the characters will know how they arrived, particularly at the same place and time. This is due to the fact that I'm not requiring you to sync up your characters backstories.

So, the character creation details. Anything from here is fine.... with the following exceptions!

1) We are using the Temptress from the Core rules, but the multi-class options and special abilities are fine.
2) We are using the Savant class instead of Scholar. As it's a fixed version anyway....
3) Sorcery Feats you can look at and some Feats of Desire are in the second post
4) Nobles Wealth ability.... well, you are not starting with any extra items, but you can feel free to go high quality instead. As for wealth in later years? It'll take some set up, but it's more then possible to acquire yearly riches.

So......

Character Creation!

1) 5d6b3 (roll 5 six sided dice and take the best three) or 32 point buy
2) Starting level is 1, and you get max HP for your HD
3) Starting gear is a loincloth and one weapon that you can afford

Now, I'd prefer female/herm players, but... I'll see just who applies ;)

Submitted Sheets

Khan; Emanaia Lajaria, Zignarian Temptress that seems focused towards the social arts... and has plans for fencing skills.

Tenshi; Anita, a Zignarian Temptress that is currently a better fencer then Emanaia, and does have an advantage in the intelligence department.

Vallah, a Vanir Barbarian. Strong, tough, and deadly, also a brute force fighter rather then a finesse focused one.

kckolbe; Killian The Red, a Nemidian Scholar, that plans on taking the Observer multiclassing path. Has learned secret mystical secrets from the far east.

Hey, Troll. Where can I find Charismatic defense?

Edit: found it. (In with the Feme Fetalle variant.)

Soemwhat limited in that it's only effective against those attracted to your gender and species. :)

I'm working on a Vanir Barbarian as an alternative, Troll. Looks like we could use a strong front liner, and most of what Anita would do, Emenia would do better. (If only because Khan will play her so awesomely.)

I'm still developing Vallah as a character. She's the only daughter of a swordsmith named VÍÐARR and his wife Eira. she has exceled primarily at manly pursuits--including hunting, smithing, and swordmsanship, and may well inherit her father's forge if she ever gets home--but tends the family garden well enough. She has learned to dance from her mother, including a ritual dance to bless a newly forged blade. If charismatic defense is allowed to a barbarian, Vallah will have basicly picked it up by dancing. It will compensate for her not having fully overcome her people's lack of grace.

The only real requirement for Charismatic Defense is 13+ Charisma, so you should be fine. Also, The Warriors Companion offers some barbarian alternate features, including swapping out Versatile with Cultural Weapon. Really, depends on how you build her.

Added in all submitted sheets, regardless of completion, in the opening post. Also, feel free to ask me things, ways to help your characters. An important thing however, as I've noticed some codes of honor. I will hold you to them. At the same time, I will allow a small degree of flexibility, to try and prevent the need for atonement all the time.

Regarding codes of honour I do have a slight question when referring to honorable and dishonorable characters, does that only applies when such characters have demonstrated to have or lack a code of honour. For example say there is a helpless enemy who has a code of honour but hasn't proved to be honorable how is that considered? Can I freely kill him without any consequence?

For the most part, we can consider someone with three or more points of corruption to be dishonorable, as for others? So long as they do not violate, to the best of your knowledge, your own code of honor, they can be seen as honorable. However, one who knowingly violates their code of honor, even if it conflicts with yours, is dishonorable.

All in all, it is tricky. In part, it will also depend on what you have done to find said person helpless. Killing a random sleeping person for no reason at all? That might force a corruption save anyway. But... one that belongs to a known enemy force, or in the employ of an enemy? Feel free to slit their throat in their sleep.

Really, it's a complicated question, with few easy answers, a part of why I will allow a little bit of leeway before you lose your code of honor, to represent the slide as you begin to justify things that you would have been disgusted with before.

Grim Troll said:
For the most part, we can consider someone with three or more points of corruption to be dishonorable, as for others? So long as they do not violate, to the best of your knowledge, your own code of honor, they can be seen as honorable. However, one who knowingly violates their code of honor, even if it conflicts with yours, is dishonorable.

All in all, it is tricky. In part, it will also depend on what you have done to find said person helpless. Killing a random sleeping person for no reason at all? That might force a corruption save anyway. But... one that belongs to a known enemy force, or in the employ of an enemy? Feel free to slit their throat in their sleep.

Really, it's a complicated question, with few easy answers, a part of why I will allow a little bit of leeway before you lose your code of honor, to represent the slide as you begin to justify things that you would have been disgusted with before.
I think Killian is all set, personally. I would like to play him as kind of a thinking man's fighter, so would take any recommendations for feats that support that. I went with a Mercenary's Code to reflect all the guide work he's done.

Works for me, and sounds good. And we have three people.... so I'll say that you have until Friday to get everything ready, before I make the OOC, Profile Thread and everything else?

I'll look them over, but in general, the Combat Expertise line is always a good choice for a strategic fighter, and purely because you have the Savant Class.... I'm going to recommend Monastic Meditations. It's from The Warriors Companion, and I would recommend looking them up, as they would fit, both from a mystical and warriors perspective.

That said, will be looking over some possible feats. Not sure if there is one that would add your intelligence to attack/damage, but I know there is one that would allow you to use your Will save in the place of an attack roll, which, as one of your classes has good will saves, might be something you might want to look at.

Also, not quite feats, but I'm going to look for other fencing or fighting style skills.

Will save in place of attack roll would be amazing, as Will saves in this game can be quite high. Do you know where that is at? I looked at the meditations, and there are a lot of possibilities, but they require a feat just to get access to, and then require class spells to learn, THEN require power points and time, often a combat round, for usually a one round bonus. Also, some Oriental spells already offer stuff like that. It's just too big an investment for too little pay off.

Anything defensive would be nice, too, as I have low defenses and low-ish health.

Ah, Driven to Win from Argos and Zingaria. You can add your base will bonus to your attack instead of your strength or dexterity modifier. However, it does say that feats like Iron Will apply. As for Martial Meditations... due to the Savant changes, those are just a Arcana Check. Sure, 20 for most, 25 for some and 30 for the most dramatic ones, with your corruption score increasing the DC, but they do become what amounts to spells from a sorcery style. As such, I would allow you the Adept feat for Martial Meditations.

As for defenses.... I'll be looking into things. However, Counterspells offer some useful spells there that you may want to look at, though they are higher level. Ward by Permanent Will being the ultimate defensive spell. Same site as the sexy feats, in the scrolls section.

Also, for Driven to Win.... you only get the benefits for the Single Target Obsession if it is a Duel of Fate (Warriors Companion). Otherwise? You get the power point back afterwards, sure, but not two.

Okay, base will bonus would be lower than my Dex, so that would not help me (by high levels, I suppose it would, but we'll cross that bridge if we get there). I think I'll just go with basic combat feats once I get a BAB of 1 or higher like weapon focus and such, maybe two weapon combat.

Yup, not too much that would utterly transform a character, most things take a little time. Besides, at the lower levels... you are squishy and taste good with barbeque sauce.

I can recommend The Warriors companion, a few barbarian things there including Cultural Weapon. Might be some things elsewhere as well, depending if you plan to multi-class?

Actually, I'm going to have to stop you on the Fighting Frenzy part. She is a Vanir. Her racial bonus pretty much says that nimble and graceful/finesse fighters, they are not. Well, maybe not stop, but from a cultural standpoint? Crimson Mist would be the natural fit, while Fighting Frenzy.... not so much. So, explain why she has it instead please ;)

Fair enough all things considered. Looking forward to her backstory, and all I ask is that there is a reason behind some of the more... unusual choices for your characters. I won't stop you.... but I'd like for there to be more of a reason then 'it makes sense by the numbers'. Maybe build on those Preform (Dance) ranks, and her Charismatic Defense? A desire to be more graceful, instead of a plodding warrior?

Just put it on the sheet, and we are good. Will be setting everything up tomorrow, you just have to choose which submission you want to use.

Back
Top Bottom