Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yu-gi-oh 5Ds: Rise of Darkness and Corruption (Athene/ImaginaryMuse & Razgriz)

"No, sir. I don't mind at all. I ... kinda expected this, to be completely honest."

Unfortunately, short of going to the black market, this was the safest and fastest way to get Yuna everything she needed. And while yes, this would be risky for Soujin, the same dangers applied to Judai. If it was found out that it'd been him who came here and got the medicines for Yuna ... everything Hajime had been freaking out about could very well come to life. The fear of the Dark Signers barging in and finishing off a helpless Yuna. And even though everyone could fight ... the way Yuna looked when Aki and Takeshi returned with her proved they'd need a lot more than brute force to deal with these guys.

And even in his peak condition, with Yubel having full control of his body?

There was a good chance Judai himself wouldn't be able to handle these guys. That was how insanely powerful they had seemed to come off. So everything about Yuna was being kept as hush-hush as possible. If he or the others could have controlled the situation, they would never have left the Facility. Alas, the medicine wasn't self-refilling. It'd run out ... and as great as Mei was, she could only do so much by herself.

... You are gonna help, right?

Even without hearing, it was pretty simple to deduce he was getting details about the paper Judai had handed over to him. Which, by default, implied the patient it would be used to help out.

"Judai?" Ruka softly asked. "You okay?"

"Yeah. Just ... waiting."

"They're not for you, are they? You don't look ill to me, anyways."

Judai gently shook his head. "But the person they are for ... she's practically on Death's door. So waiting like this .... if I go back empty-handed .... "

Ruka tilted her head, clearly a bit confused. "It's his job to help out. Why are you worried about leaving without the medicine?"

"Not here. I'll elaborate when we're out of ear shot from people who don't need to hear."

Nodding in understanding and agreement, Ruka walked beside her brother and Crow. Judai visibly tensed as he saw Soujin holding a new bag in his hands. His head bowed lowly as he accepted the medicine. "Thank you ... truly. I was gonna give this over anyway; consider it more than financial payment." Keeping the bag tightly but carefully held in his right hand, his left dug into his pocket and pulled a tied-together bundle of yen.

With that, Judai pivoted around before the money could be handed back. "Thanks again. Take care, sir."

He would be the first to exit the pharmacy, though not for long. Soon, Crow and the siblings would arrive. Judai looked over to Crow. "So ... anywhere private we can talk more about this? That's another topic that can't be openly discussed, after all."

Soujin couldn't have taken the money...But it seemed the young man was adamant, not even getting a chance to protest before they were out the door. "Please...Just promise me you're going to use it for the reason you said." The elderly man pleaded mentally, sorting the money into his till. Might as well make it look a legitimate sale; at the very least Mei had used an official prescription form too, to help cover his ass. And whether the Director liked it or not, he did have a duty to help a medical patient in need of treatment. Convicted felon or not.

"I'm assuming you used the boat, right? We can talk there; we're headed into the Satellite ourselves, as you know." Crow said, keeping his voice low enough to not attract any more suspicion. "Those really aren't for you, Judai? Who are they for?" Rua would ask, Crow just patting the young man on the head, "He'll answer that in a bit, Rua...Just be patient."

===================================================================================================================

And soon enough, Crow was back on the boat, his own Runner stowed up on the side rail; he had a side car that he would attach once they were back to the wharf. It was stored just for the purpose of having Rua/Ruka ride comfortably. And as much as he hated Goodwin for putting kids in this situation? At the very least, the police would overlook his criminal status and no longer pester him. Which meant he could focus on.

"So...Guess this is private enough, huh?" Crow asked; he definitely wanted some questions answered. When they'd talked earlier, he definitely noticed Judai's hurried tone. "Ruka was right about one thing: If the pharmacist needed to confer with this 'Mei', then clearly those medications are for something serious. Was it....Was it the Fiend? Did he fight one of the Dark Signers and get her hurt?"

Rua's eyes widened, "The Fiend's there? Judai, you know the Fiend!?" Of course, neither Rua or Ruka would know anything about the Fiend except what the news outlets had reported. That and the very public trials of the recent batch of criminals to be locked. "Did you see him? Is he really as bad as people say?" the young man asked.

"Hmmm ... "

He hadn't originally thought about the boat. But ... Crow had a point. And if they were heading over there anyway, why not? That was where he needed to go, so ... it'd kill two birds with one stone. Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself, knowing the promised talk would be hard to do. Not nearly as much if Hajime had been asked ... but difficult all the same. These were ... well, they'd find out soon enough.

"Alright. Hope none of ya'll are sea or motion sick. Let's go."

The bag for Yuna's medicine would be carefully set in a corner not too far away from the steering wheel. If it weren't for the fact it included a few spare needles, he would have asked for anyone else to hold it. However ....

"Since I'm driving, just ... make sure it doesn't fall over and break. Careful though. If anyone has to touch it, I'd prefer Crow due to the contents. Namely the sharp ones. So ... "

His head moved from side to side, with Ruka adding, "Of course not. He said it was for a 'she', remember? The Fiend's definitely a guy; we've heard that much before."

"It's .... " Judai's teeth briefly latched onto his lower lip before finishing his sentence, "For Yuna."

Crow would definitely more immediately understand whom he was referring to. It took Ruka a while, but it clicked. "Wait! The same one that the Director used to justify Takeshi's arrest? That Yuna?"

When she saw Judai nod, she subconsciously took at least one step back. "What about her? Are they both bad people?"

"No. Complicated, yes. But bad ... no. If they were, I wouldn't stay with them -- or rather, with Yuna. Hotsuma, the Fiend, whatever you wanna call him ... he's .... he's been gone. In fact, before Yuna went out to rescue Takeshi from the Dark Signers, he had left the base. I guess ... he came back because one of his men plus Yuna were involved. But then, when that went south .... he left once again."

His hands gripped tightly onto the wheel.

"And now ... Yuna is literally on life support. I guess there's no point in sugar pointing it. When Aki and Takeshi returned with her, she was clinically dead. Chest still, color already drained from her skin. No pulse. But then ... Mei, our doctor, managed to find the faintest of a pulse. It was more than enough for Hajime to haul his butt and hoist Yuna inside. That same weak pulse? It's been the only thing that's made everyone agree .... we don't pull her plug. We keep having to remind the .... "

More because of realizing what he almost said aloud, Judai stopped.

... Well, no point, is there? You've already come this far.

"The demons that Hotsuma left behind to aid in guarding the place that she's not done giving up fighting. If looks could kill, then Hajime's given them quite a few that have driven any who've attempted to go through with it."

A hand absentmindedly rubbed his jaw, remembering the time he'd gotten struck there by Hotsuma.

"It is true that at worst, they can be .... hasty. And when their tempers get the worst of them? Don't be in their way, especially Hotsuma's. But I'd rather deal with that again ... compared to knowing I'm going back to a place that should be run by two people. But one has officially turned his back on his partner. Not just a business one either .... an intimate one."

His head lowered as he temporarily shut his eyes, feeling them wanting to change.

"As someone who has my own 'partner' of sorts ... I'd never forgive myself if I tried to abandon her. But the fact Hotsuma's perfectly fine doing just that?" Judai shook his head again. "I can't accept that. Given we haven't heard from him .... he's either dead or captured, just like Yuna was. God forbid either of those possibilities are true. It'll be a crappy awakening for Yuna to find out ... assuming she wakes in the first place. Alternatively, maybe he is safe somehow and just refusing to tell us. Annoying, but between those three possibilities, it's - hopefully - obvious on what I'm hoping for."

Then, another piece of the puzzle fit for Ruka.

"Umm .... was she the friend Fayth hinted being beat up by the Dark Signers?"

" ... Why'd ya'll have a talk about that?"

"It wasn't about that, per se. It was about the Dark Signers. But Fayth hinted these were people who had no qualms hurting non-Signers. She didn't give a name, but said a friend of hers had been taken and tortured by them. Is that the same person?"

" ... It is."

"So ... Fayth was telling the truth?"

"Mhm. The generous version, at that rate. Well ... since you've kinda gotten a glimpse about these people and how they act, I guess there's no point in keeping everything else I've had tucked away hidden. Kiryu ... you really need to watch out for that person. The others, sure, but he ... he's got a sick, morbid sense of what he views as 'fun' for him. He's the one who's behind a good deal of Yuna's physical pain .... and why she's battling Death now. If that name came up, it was for a very good reason. He is indeed dangerous. I haven't seen him myself ... but considering how Yuna looked when Aki and Takeshi returned with her? And even how she acted after her two week torture? That's all I need to see."

He rose his right index finger, hinting there was indeed a part two.

"It should go without too much saying, but this was why I was being vague and avoiding saying much out loud. And I need all of you to promise me ... that no matter what, you will not let it slip that Yuna's alive. Even if barely. But especially don't utter her name around any of those Dark Signers. As far as they know? They got what they wanted. Should they find out that's not true, though? They will come over and kill not just her, but all of us. And they would likely succeed ... especially since Hotsuma, who had the best and strongest powers out of all of us, is gone. I'm telling you all this, because ... I'd much rather you find out this way than walk inside the Facility with me and see her actual body. I don't know how Hajime can devote himself to watching her basically twenty-four seven. I can barely go inside myself, though I do from time to time."

Judai would go silent, allowing everything to sink in before asking everyone, "If you got anymore inquiries about this, get them out of the way now. Personally,, I wanna discuss more about the Spirit World needing help. My partner I hinted at? It's a Duel Spirit. Sorta like what Fayth has, but on a more permanent level. She did a pact with Morningstar. A deal. Me and Yubel ... we're fused. The only time our partnership ends is when we die, but never before then. Suffice to say, she's hinted she can't hear or sense much of anything in the Spirit World, so it seems like what Crow told me must have some truth to it."

"Wait, there's demons there?!" Rua asked incredulously, Crow adding after giving Judai a bit of a look that said 'Really, dude?' though more intensely, keeping his voice level, "Yeah...There's demons. I wasn't sure they were real; thought it was some kind of tactic to scare off Sector. But they're real; and though Yuna had good control of them, I could tell they were more than happy with cutting me and Yusei down when we got too close."

Though he was surprised to learn that it was this 'Hotsuma' was the one who left the demons behind; he thought Yuna was pulling their leg when she mentioned that the first time. He couldn't help but be wary of him now; what kind of power did he have that he could call demons to his aid? Just what had happened to the two of them? It didn't seem...natural to have such abilities. Then again, what was natural anymore? He himself was a vanguard to protect the planet that supposedly devastated the planet every 5000 years.

"She's that far gone...." Crow asked; a damn shame, she seemed rather likable. But he was still glad to hear that she was somehow clinging to life; even so, the fact that Kiryu had done such damage to her? It was more than enough proof that Kiryu wasn't worth the effort to save. He rarely thought that sourly, but there was a good reason he and Jack got out of Team Satisfaction when Kiryu started talking about murdering Sector police.

"We'll keep it secret, don't worry! Isn't that right, Ruka-nee!?" Rua shouted, Crow just smiling "Don't worry, I won't spill about it. Yuna's a friend; least we can do is try to make sure she stays safe." Crow couldn't promise much more than that though; he had the orphans to look after, and trying to prepare for when he had to fight....whoever he was supposed to fight.

But when Judai talked about the Spirit World, "Ah, right! Ruka-nee, tell him more about the dream you had! You saw monkeys attacking everyone, right? And Ancient Fairy Dragon and Regulus were in trouble too!"

Though poor Crow looked he was lost, "Wait...You mean Duel Spirits are a thing? What's the Spirit World have to do with anything?" Rua then looked at Crow, "I just know it's these Dark Signer punks! if they're even half as bad as Goodwin said they were, they've got their dirty fingers mixed in this somehow! And Imma go in there and kick their butts so hard they'll have to sit on their eyeballs!"

Judai merely shrugged, returning a 'Well, would it have done me any good to lie?' look right back to Crow. Maybe if Ruka were the only one of them here, sure. He could have kept that hidden. Unfortunately, Rua was here and the far more curious twin. He would have asked and pestered. Disregarding that possibility, it came down to what he said to them not long ago; better to find out this way than actually seeing them with their own eyes. The exact same reasoning he'd used with revealing it was Yuna very, very heavily applied even to that what-if possibility.

So no ... he didn't really regret it.

Maybe the fact at least one of these two preteens had to be designated a Signer and even worry about Kiryu and the others, yes.

But then ... all more the reason to give them a head start. Wasn't it?

For now, the fact Crow wasn't outright bitching at Judai was more than enough. He'd take whatever blessings he could get.

"Can we really do that though?" Ruka asked, looking uncertainly between the other three guys. "I mean .... you said it yourself. And we kinda got hints about it. But if these Dark Signers really have powers ... is it even possible to keep Yuna's barely alive status truly hidden?"

"Luckily, I realized that right after bringing it up. Probably not, but ... " He rose a finger, noting out of the corner of his eye Ruka wanting to protest. "There is something that's easier in concept to avoid. Especially if you are remaining with, or nearby, Crow ... he can help out with this. So, lemme re-word that promise. Don't worry about not revealing it, per se. The better bit of advice ... is avoid Kiryu at all costs. Not just for your sake, but it was literally his choice - and his alone, from what Yuna told us - that she was even held by them. Had he not acted? None .... "

He stopped, taking a moment to pause and dwell on his thoughts before finishing them up.

"Well, maybe it wouldn't have happened. I can't honestly say for sure if I know that much or not. But I do feel confident enough to feel that her own encounters would have been decreased had Kiryu not taken initiative. And she definitely wouldn't be in her state were it not for him. So, as far as we can surmise? He's the one who'd care the most about finding that information out."

Of course, it was only simple in concept. He understood exactly what he was saying. In a way though, this was more fair. It was to Judai, anyway. Yes, they had to be cautious about ensuring the most dangerous member didn't run into them. But at least it was only one instead of ... how many of those bastards there even were.

Ruka slowly nodded, seeming to agree that actually was a fair enough suggestion to heed and listen to.

"Y-Yes!" she quickly stated, feeling honestly relieved the topic had changed now. "Huge monkeys! Gorillas, even! They were everywhere. They acted ... as if .... they had been trained properly in warfare. There's no real way to explain it. The way they invaded ... it was flawless. There were no errors. They calculated everything, including how to perfectly disable Regulus and Ancient Fairy Dragon."

When a new thought entered the young girl's head, she looked nervously towards Judai, "You ... believe me. Right?"

"Yeah. Even before I came here, I've had my fair share of displays that I never would have believed nor thought possible before. And .... there's a very good reason I know Duel Spirits are real. Not just because I have one as a partner, but that helps. I've been in the Spirit World before."

"Really?!"

"Mhm. For a bit, I even lived there."

"Oh wow!" Finally, Ruka's eyes widened. This time, though, in awe and even some envy. "I bet it's amazing over there, huh?!" Not that she'd never been there. But not for an extended period of time like Judai had.

"Usually it is. But from what I've heard?"

His eyes narrowed at the thought, "It's ... probably gonna look ... grim. To be completely honest ... I'm hesitant about either of you going in with me."

"Huh?! But -- "

"Have you considered if this was a trap the Dark Signers came up with?"

"W-Well ... kinda. I guess ... yes all the same. Still --- "

Judai's head shook. "That's all I need to hear. If that was indeed done to lure you in? What better way to counter their trap than have someone they aren't expecting to come in and accept the bait?"

"That's not fair ... " Ruka whispered, actually beginning to sound something she didn't often display. Angry. "It's my dragon inside there! Don't I have the right to help her out?!"

"I'm not saying you don't," Judai calmly replied, "I'm just saying .... we need to come up with a very carefully thought out plan. I do think me going would throw them off royally."

"And ... if they hurt you like they did Yuna?"

A knowing smile crossed Judai's lips, "I'm willing to take that chance. But more importantly? Yubel isn't gonna let that easily happen."

"Damn straight I'm not."

What would have normally been words only Judai would hear would echo out loud, thus letting everyone hear them.

"Yes, I'm Yubel, his partner, whatever you want to refer to me as."

"Well ... since you're joining in, mind keeping whatever you say PG-13, if not more generous?"

" ... I suppose. Fine. You did ask nicely."

Though it was a bit of a strain, anyone peeking would take note Judai's eyes were still normal. For now, anyway. Another thing he didn't normally do; fight his transformation. All things considered though? It was probably for the best neither of the twins saw his usual form when Yubel spoke. Definitely not Ruka. It wasn't scary, per se. But she was already taking in a lot of information, none of which was pleasant in the first place. It was a favor for her sanity; or so Judai hoped that'd be the case.

The only reason Crow chose not to chew Judai out for his lack of tact was exactly because there were kids onboard; and besides, he knew deep down they would have found out eventually. It was more just his instinct to try and shield them from as much harm as possible. They were already being forced to hide out away from their home, to be away from friends and family that could give them an arguably more comfortable/fulfilling than Crow could ever hope. All for the sake of making sure these Dark Signers didn't rampage and just kill everybody in their way.

"I don't care how strong this Kiryu-baka thinks he is! He comes near me or Ruka, I'll break his nose and kick him between the legs!" Rua shouted energetically, making Crow raise an eyebrow. "This kid..." Crow said mentally, trying not to chuckle; honestly, he knew enough now that not being a Signer would put him at a huge disadvantage, especially since he was so young. "You really care about your sister, huh?" Crow asked, Rua nodding "I do! There's nothing I won't do to make sure she won't have anyone lay a finger on her!!"

Though that seemed to go out the window when Judai revealed something he'd shared to only a select few. "You lived in the Spirit World!? Cool!" Rua exclaimed, Crow's expression now expressing one of total and utter confusion. He was trying to keep a tally on everything; this guy Judai had a Spirit...As did Yuna and Fayth. And Fayth herself was a Signer...

This was starting to give him a headache, the young man rubbing at his hair as he tried to sort through it, "So...Wait, Judai, did you actually see who was doing this? Who was the leader of these apes?" Rua then spoke up, "Ruka, tell him about Zeman...That king-looking one! He held this staff that his soldiers seemed to wield too, turned all the Spirits there into stone statues or something!"

"Did he say who he works for for?" Crow then asked; maybe this 'Zeman' let something slip, could give them a better idea of how many there are. "No...But Ruka, that's why you can't go. We don't know what's on the other side...I'll go in your place. I'll promise to get Ancient Fairy Dragon back no matter what!"

He then looked to Judai, determination full in those bright young eyes as he declared, "And if this Yubel says you're alright, then I know we'll be okay! You sound strong! And I should know, Ruka's introduced me to a bunch of powerful Spirits! Regulus included! He's helped her through a lot, so I owe it to him and Ruka to get Ancient Fairy Dragon free!" And it was quite clear the young man wouldn't take no for answer, though it remained to be seen if he - not being a Signer himself - could even do anything about that.

"Rua, wait...You just said you don't know what's on the other side. You could get seriously hurt, and..." Crow started to say, placing a hand on the young man's shoulder, "I don't care what happens to me! The Spirit World was probably the only thing to help Ruka whenever she was really sick! They gave her friends she could count on; as a brother I have to make sure those friends are safe! I have to protect her, and just because I'm not a Signer doesn't mean I can't do it!"

Of course, one could argue it was also his tending to her in that state that helped her recover time after time...But Rua knew having those connections with Key Fairy, Kuribon and Regulus and the others did so much for her. How could he be her brother if he didn't make sure her own friends were safe?

Crow just sighed, "Well...It's clear you won't listen to me..." but Rua shook his head, "I don't know all the spirits like Ruka does, but I've met a lot of them! They might not help you because of all the chaos, they might think because you're a stranger you're not trustworthy! Let me go with you, Judai; I can vouch for you! If they see with you, we can get their help to get Ancient Fairy Dragon back!"

Judai also had to hide a laugh from Rua. It was cute to hear and see such devotion to a blood sibling. Not that he had any himself, nor had many people in the Academy had siblings. An odd thought, now that he pondered more on it. Either way, that sort of loyalty ... it wasn't something he saw too often. A lot had been towards him and, therefore, applied vice versa to the same people. The memories made him softly smile ... before his head shook and he went back to the current discussion at hand.

"No. Like I said, I haven't been to the Spirit World for a while. In fact .... that's umm .... that's where I came from. It's probably obvious, but I'm not from the Tops or Satellite. I just sorta ... arrived here on day. Yubel's been trying to help me pinpoint what even seemed to hurl us out to start."

"Suffice to say, I still have no clue. Another spirit is the best bet, but ... there's no definite proof to back that up. Definitely not why they made us come here of all places."

"Probably to help out."

"Hmph. That's the easy way out, boy. Don't forget --- "

"Yeah, yeah," Judai muttered, "Not everyone's as trusting. I get it now. Really, I do. But you ever think not everybody is out to get us?"

" ... Fine. Point made. For now."

Judai's head tilted when Rua brought up some 'Zeman'. "Ruler, huh?" he repeated.

"Y-Yeah." Ruka paused - mainly to think back on her nightmare for a few moments - before relaying what she'd seen, "He was ... I guess using magic? Muttering under his breath, but ... I didn't see him using a tome, staff, or anything that most other casters would use. He seems to have as much influence as he does soldiers."

"Hmmmm ..... "

"Guessing that means you know him?" Judai inquired.

"I do, but .... he's never made a hasty move before now. He knew better. Now though ... something clearly has changed. Weirder still is that he went further than even I would have guessed. He took over the same forest where Ancient Fairy Dragon rules and resides. That's more bold of him than usual. Something's gravely amiss, Judai."

He opted to nod rather than roll his eyes. That last sentence had honestly been a given since he got called up. "I'm not that naive," he murmured, not bothering to hide that Yubel had made him just a bit annoyed. "I can understand perfectly there's a lot messed up right now."

It was just ... this exact degree and extent that he hadn't guessed.

"Well ... there's only one obvious thing to do. And it is pretty much what came to my head once I got called up. We definitely need to go in the Spirit World .... somehow. See, there was a portal back in my original world. So ... unless there's one here ... "

And that was when Ruka spoke up again, "I umm ... I can teleport us there."

Judai sighed, clearly still not liking the idea of either twin putting themselves in such a risky situation. But with the way things were going? At least one, if not both of them, probably would end up going.

" ... We'll negotiate more on a later date who goes where, okay? Right now, I need to get back, and ya'll probably do also. But ... yeah. I am on a timer myself."

Not that he feared this conversation would make him late. Other factors, though ... that was another story. One where he didn't want to tempt his fate if it could be helped.

Another eight minutes would pass before finally, the boat landed beside the docks. With this, the four had officially arrived at the Satellite. Judai leaned down, carefully grabbing the bag with Yuna's medicine before stepping off and securing the large ship to one of the nearby wooden posts.

"For now ... this is where we part ways, I guess. Take care."

"You too, Judai! Help Yuna get well!"

Judai smiled at that, "I will. In fact, I'll tell her you said that when she wakes up. She'll appreciate that." With that, Judai turned on his feet, offered the three one last wave, and began walking away.

Ruka would stay close beside her brother. Even taking a hold of his hand. But she wouldn't move away until Crow began leading them to his haven.

Crow didn't know how to follow this at all; but that didn't really matter. It seemed like Judai didn't mind Rua tagging along; much as he wanted to make sure the little guy was going to be safe, Judai had noticed what he had: That Rua would stop at nothing, go to as far a length as possible to make sure Ruka could be safe herself. Even if it meant potentially putting himself in mortal peril.

And when Judai conceded, even if only partially? Rua just nodded, "No problem! You just say when and where, and I'll be there to kick Zeman in his monkey butt for hurting Ancient Fairy Dragon and making Ruka sad!" And based on his energy, it seemed Rua would do just that, no hesitation. Little did any of them know of the dangers that awaited...But that was neither here nor there. They would have time to figure this out.

Soon, the four unruly youngsters would disembark. "Ya, tell Yuna to quit being soft! If she's with the Fiend, she's gotta be strong! She'll beat this no sweat!" Rua shouted as Judai would then go on his way, Crow readying his Runner and a sidecar that attached to the side. "Come on you two; we've got a bit of a drive, so you two best buckle in." And Rua would take his time to make sure his sister was properly situated; even now of all times, he did everything he possibly could to make his family comfortable.

And with the cargo ready to go, Crow started up his Runner, Rua letting out a "WAHOOO!" as they took off back into the Satellite.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been a crazy few days for Finlay; between the attack on the theater, the crazy events and happenings inbetween and his own work, he hadn't had much time to contact Shivini. He couldn't help thinking about her though; he just hoped she was alright. And as quickly as his father had come home? He was gone again; apparently they had uncovered something new in Ica. Some kind of new marking; he'd overheard his father saying something about a 'geoglyph'. It was hard to understand, since the call had been short and it seemed like this time he was adamant on keeping Finlay uninvolved.

Something else that had struck the young man as odd; and what was worse? He hadn't heard from him in a while, and he couldn't get a hold of the man. It wasn't uncommon, since most dig sites rarely had any sort of reliable communication save for a satellite phone but it was kind of odd with the previous behavior. And now? There was virtually nothing to do.

He knew contacting Shivini wasn't a wise idea; but even still, he was in love with this woman. He'd be stupid to try and lose over something as stupid as who she knew and who she was affiliated with. Resolved in mind and body, he picked up his cell phone and scrolled to his entry for her. Letting it ring before she might pick up.

"Shivini? It's me, Finlay....Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing. I got some free time; Father's off in Peru again and work dried up. I was wondering if you might want to do something? I can come over, if it makes it easier."

How long had it even been since Mei hurried inside with a barely alive Yuna? Three days? Four? More? Less?

Shivini honestly lost track. Not just because it was emotionally exhausting, but physically some days. As it turned out, she and Eikichi were the only two people inside of the base whom could even give Yuna compatible blood. The third option would have been Yamichi ... but he was still out. Still being treated with his own problems.

He's gonna get a lovely 'welcome back' party when he returns, the Amazon user bitterly thought, rolling her eyes.

If Yuna coming back clinically dead for a few minutes hadn't been horrible enough to learn, the news of Hotsuma officially leaving only gave everyone a proverbial slap to their faces. And everyone agreed with basically what Judai had told Crow and the twins; the timing of his 'absence' was seriously the worst. Hell, forget the timing. That could be tolerated. Even if not intimate, he and Yuna were supposed to still be partners.

So .... why? How could he just turn his back on her like that?

And even if Hotsuma didn't clearly believe it, Shivini knew that Yuna wouldn't be the only one upset with him. It was actually why Takeshi rarely came out - partly the reason, anyway. PTSD from what he'd been forced to do to Yuna had been taking a toll on him. It was something Mei and herself had been working on .... but the poor guy would likely need more time.

Thankfully, Yuna had gotten enough blood recently from her that Shivini wouldn't be needed too soon.

So when Eikichi walked towards her with the phone in his hand, she didn't feel guilty about taking it. A bit taken aback though, as the raised eyebrows indicated. Rather than questioning if it was truly for her out loud, however, she simply spoke into the receiver. "Hello?"

The smile on Shivini's face was all Eikichi needed to see to know she'd keep talking to her lover. He turned away, allowing Shivini to have some privacy. Definitely a morale boost, if nothing else.

"I umm .... "

A frown replaced her smile, "I'd love to say 'yes', but the truth is .... " A frustrated sigh would be the next thing he'd hear. "Well ... I dunno if I'm ready, but it's not gonna make any sense. So ... here goes. I umm ... I'm with a crew. The same one Yuna Takeda leads. I can't really explain what exactly happened, because the only person who knows was ... forced. Manipulated. And they're still shaken about it, so .... we only have a few guesses. But our past four or so days have consisted of me and Eikichi taking turns doing transfusions while ensuring Yuna doesn't flatline. And on top of that? Double and triple checking word she survived this attack doesn't reach the ears of her assailants, because if they learn?"

She went quiet, feeling confident Finlay could fill in the blank on his own.

"It's complicated to explain who was behind this, but the simplest version is some sorta cult group. I know this is gonna sound weird, but they have supernatural abilities."

Thankfully, a better example returned to her mind as she recalled why Yamichi was in the hospital.

"They're the same people who attacked the theater during the Atlas Rising premiere, and did a separate assault against Ling. Another of ours is healing up from that attack because of them. They're really dangerous and .... we've been basically resorting to what medicine we have plus praying like nuts that Yuna even wakes up. If she even can, for that matter."

Her head shook, voice beginning to follow suit, "But ... it's honestly not looking like she even will. The only thing keeping any of us from just taking her off life support is seeing her still maintain a pulse. Not a great one, but one all the same."

Finally, a nervous chuckle passed her lips, "I'm sorry. You're not a doctor. But still ... with me being one of the few who can help here .... I can't leave. Eikichi already took the idiotic risk of giving too much blood away when that ... freak accident with the VR happened between me and Takeshi. He donated to us both ... simultaneously."

Her head moved from side to side, though this time wearing an amused smirk at the memory.

"I'm not letting him repeat that again. Not when he doesn't have to be the only option."

Finlay's smile faltered a bit as she said 'she'd love to'; oh no, did he do something wrong?! His mind instantly raced as he thought back to the times they'd shared, frantically poring over every detail of their dates. The bistro! It must have been the bistro! She'd had trouble with the menu; oh man, she must have thought him a special kind of dingus for doing that to her!

Only....It wasn't?

"Yuna...Takeda? So the story about the Facility...." he whispered, realizing that there was more truth to the going-ons about the Satellite than he initially thought. He'd seen the press conferences Goodwin offered, the one telling them about the situation where a group of thugs led by Yuna Takeda and the Fiend seized the Facility.

However, it seemed she wasn't done; she'd been attacked? The theater attack was indeed a public spectacle; it was supposed to be a huge night. A commemorative event to formally transfer the title of King of Games from Jack Atlas to Ling Xiu Tsou. "I'd heard about that...I'm sorry about your friend; I honestly wish I could help." he said; though he fussed over her words in his head.

Cult....Cult....

His mind raced as he picked up on a clue he'd seen, something his father had sent him to decipher from a small dig site just outside Ica in Peru. Shivini would the sounds of frantically shuffling papers, as well as hearing him mutter that one word 'Cult' over and over again. "Cult...Could it be...That was five millenia ago...Darn, this is too low-res...." she would hear him mutter into the phone, now fishing through some texts of old Incan he'd purchased with his wages. If she didn't know him as the very bookish sort, she might think of him as a bit 'unseated' mentally. But that wasn't the case...And soon he found it.

And then there were the two words that Shivini would never expect someone outside their circle to hear say:

"Dark Signers....Shivini, was it the Dark Signers?"

He paused for a moment, then continued adding "I might not be able to wake Yuna from a coma...But if you'll allow it, I'd like to come over and look at Yuna for myself. If it was them...I might be able to explain what your friend is going through." And much as she might come to expect of him, he didn't bring up her affiliations or even that she was part of a government-recognized criminal group.

"I apologize if I don't say more...But given how difficult this must be for you, I don't want to get your hopes up too much if that's what I'm thinking is happening. But if you could indulge me...I think you might find good news in this."

Last edited:

"Y-Yeah. So ... the real reason I was so upset during our first date with the incident regarding Takeshi is because .... he's a lot more than a person I met at the Fortune Cup. He's one of us. A comrade. Most of whatever you've heard Goodwin say .. it's a lie. Most, if not all, of it."

Shivini's head bowed as she expected her own worst case scenario to arrive.

"But ... if that's too much, I'll understand. I should have just come out and said this a lot sooner, really."

To say Shivini was shocked upon realizing it wouldn't cause Finlay to break up was an understatement. The poor girl damn well nearly dropped the office phone; something that the Amazoness normally wouldn't care about allowing to slip from her hand. But ... cell phones weren't something everyone had been able to afford. Just a small handful.

"You ... really are fine with this?" she managed to stammer out, her grip re-tightening to keep the phone from collapsing and possibly shattering. A smile spread over her face when she didn't hear any tell-tale signs of him hanging up. If he hadn't bothered with that, it seemed Shivini was in the clear.

Somehow ... she added in her mind, her voice getting serious as he began murmuring under his breath. Did he ... know these people? With how many times he repeated the word 'cult', it almost sounded like he'd had his own run-in. A terrifying thought, most definitely. She gulped while waiting, subconsciously pacing as he rummaged through all of his papers. Were this any other day, Shivini would indeed have wondered if Finlay was in his right mind.

But with even a slight chunk she'd seen happen to Yuna, Hotsuma, Hajime, or anyone from the Disciples or Yomi?

The concept of normalcy was truly, completely gone. Not that it hadn't been for a while. But now? It was way past the point of any ability to return, so to speak.

"Dark Signers?" Shivini repeated, her fingers tapping against the fabric of her clothing before slowly shaking her head from side to side. "Maybe? We ... honestly don't know. We just have a name of the assailant who has been the biggest thorn in our side, but if he's a Dark Signer? I don't know. The only people who have an idea of any kind - maybe even fully know - are incapacitated or still mentally distraught."

... With that being said, her head turned towards where Takeshi's room was. She hadn't forgotten her own words; however, none of the other guys had much, if any, success in cheering him up. Maybe a woman's touch would help?

Yuna would have done this ... if she could be alert and awake.

That was likely what everyone needed, when all was said and done. For either Death to fuck off and leave Yuna alone or hurry up and be merciful with her.

Tucking that as something to consider doing after this call ended, she turned her attention to the call again, "From what I know about what they do, though, I wouldn't be amazed if that's who they are. They're ... unnatural. I almost question if they're human, even. So .. until I can be proven wrong, assume that is who they are."

And then ... her heart stopped for a few seconds. Rapidly resuming beating after she took a few minutes to go over what Finlay had said a few times.

"You ... really may know what's going on?"

She'd even apologized for ranting about this largely because he wasn't a doctor. Or ... he wasn't supposed to be one. So ... why? How? Even Mei had been clueless on what to do aside from continuing to administer medicines to Yuna.

"If you have even a small idea of what's going on ... and are willing to come over, please do. Because ... we're all lost. We just know she's barely hanging on, and ... that's about it."

[BGCOLOR=rgb(37, 49, 58)]Finlay Cromwell [/BGCOLOR]:: Takeshi Yamaguchi
"I might....But unfortunately I doubt I can do anything to improve her condition." Finlay would say; he was no medical practitioner after all, and just hoped that whoever was there - as it sounded like they did have someone with medical training helping them out - would be able to work enough magic to give this Yuna a fighting chance. "Anyway...I have no idea how to get over there though; the only way I know about is the incomplete. And while I'm a competent swimmer...I'm afraid my talents lie more in my body than in my mind."

However, he would soon find out that they indeed had their own way...Something that made him raise a brow when she might explain it to him. "That so? Well...Suppose your friends had to get over here somehow; I'd heard rumors there was a pipe people were using to cross over, but that thing's almost always closed down now. They're actually opening facilities here to handle the trash; should help some of the poorer folks here find employment at least." Of course, Finlay was no idiot; this meant the facilites in the Satellite would likely suffer from the downturn in business.

"Well...Just tell me where to be and when. We'll meet up soon, alright? Love you lots!" Finlay said, hanging up only after she might. It was his first time going into the heart of the Satellite; it was both terrifying and exciting. A wondrous dichotomy that plagued his mind as he packed his Deck, Disk and a stack of tomes, cipher books and translation papers into a duffel-bag.

====================

"Maggot...Our Lord went through the trouble of liberating you and that bothersome Takeda, and you still whimper like a helpless child?"

That was what one of the demons snarled, under orders from the current temporary leader to check and watch over Takeshi. What a bothersome task; if only it could just wipe them all out. They had the numbers and the power; eliminating this ragtag bunch of worthless husks would be a trivial. Especially with a Commander here. "Go away..." Takeshi muttered, the demon growling "I've seen you battle...You fight with ferocity and tenacity! Takeda knew the risks fighting you, and it's not like she's dead...Yet. As you humans say...Get over it."

"What the hell would you know, you fucking abomination?!" Takeshi shouted, getting quite annoyed now with this demented...thing...doing a piss poor job of cheering him up. "You know how many of my brothers fell before me so I could stand where I am now, worm!? More than you would even think possible, and you don't hear me complaining like a toddler about it!"

"GO! GET THE FUCK OUT!"

Takeshi finally had enough, chucking his own Duel Disk at the wall, the device thankfully sturdy enough that it only got scuffed. "Feh...Your inaction will be the real reason Yuna dies, maggot. Sit here and fester for all I care." the demon growled, turning on his heel and marching off.

Takeshi just then curled back up on his bed, his Shiranui deck sitting on his bedside table; even with everything that happened, he did want to look through it. What was that encounter he had? It was...Strange. Was that what Yuna and Hotsuma got to experience? He didn't know if that was a blessing or a curse.

Kami-sama...If this is your some sick twisted idea of a joke, I just want to say....Fuck you. Fuck you so very much.

And though Hotsuma had left him in the care of the others to hunt down those that did this to him...He still couldn't help feeling a little betrayed. Not only did he find out they'd been overrun by demons - allies they might be - but now they were officially down two leaders. And Hotsuma still hadn't come back; and that honestly terrified him. What if he never did come back? What if those bastards killed him? It'd be his fault...Just like with Yuna.

Shivini felt her heart stop ... only to beat quickly within her chest. He was ... really fine? He wasn't mad or felt like he'd been deceived? Those would have been completely justified reactions; but hearing him seem to accept this explanation made pure relief surge through the Amazoness. Her head nodded as she wiped a few tears that had started trying to fall down her face.

"Thank you ... truly. This ... really means a lot. Umm ... "

She took a breath, trying to determine the best time ... and then, even at the expense of sounding selfish, voiced her reply.

"Sooner is much better. If you can get here in an hour, please do. I'll be there to pick you up. But preferably sometime today ... that'd really be great. I ... know and understand there's no guarantee, but that's fine. If there's even just a chance to find some sort of a hint, we need it. Badly." Finally, a smile emerged as she heard him utter three words that had never been spoken to her before. They were simple ... but held so much power and emotions in them.

"Love you lots!"

"I love you, too," she replied, hanging up after hearing those words. She'd needed them, to be completely earnest. The atmosphere and having to see Yuna in her state ... it'd brought everyone down. Takeshi and Hajime were likely taking it the worst was all, but no one was immune to the aftermath of her most recent fight. A shaky breath resounded from her as she finally stood up.

Her head turned ... originally looking towards the exit of the base.

However ... when a very loud scream from Takeshi rang throughout the halls ... it made her look the other way.

To be fair, that had been on her to-do list. No one had succeeded thus far in cheering him up, but ... if nothing else, she hoped to encourage him that she wasn't mad. Not at him, anyway.

But ... who in the hell is pissing him off?

Hajime wouldn't go that far.

It wouldn't take long for her to follow the voice and find the source. Her arms crossed in annoyance. These .. demons had been tolerable enough before. But now? They were becoming quite the nuisance, especially since Hotsuma was gone.

"Seriously, leave him be. No good words come from any of you."

And that was exactly why she felt confident Shivini hadn't needed to hear the conversation to know her words were right. Her eyes stayed narrowed, lingering on the demons. Only when they heeded her and left did her eyes return to a more gentle appearance as she knelt in front of Takeshi.

"Takeshi? I'm ... seeing about bringing someone over who might be able to help Yuna out somehow. I'm not upset with you. You do know that, right?"

Her head shook firmly from side to side as she added, "No one is. Eikichi and Hajime have both told me their frustrations are definitely not with you. Just .... whoever these pricks were. But not you."

"Shivini...Please..."

Those were the first few words he muttered as she might come to kneel before him; he knew she was just trying to help, but he didn't want anyone's pity. He didn't want anyone to feel sorry for him, to feel like they had to go out of their way to tiptoe around him.

"I know that's not true; Hajime is upset with me. I hurt Yuna...I nearly killed her. Because I wasn't strong enough..."

His voice faltered as he threatened to burst into tears, his once-dry cheeks now stained with shining trails of moisture as the streams began to flow; he felt sick with himself. "Some strong guy...Can't even stop himself from hurting the one woman who helped them. From nearly ending her life because he didn't fight hard enough against those robed fucks.

"Hotsuma's going to be fucking pissed if she dies...And..A-and it'll be my fault...If they get him too...."

Eventually he couldn't hold himself back anymore; muted sobs left him as he buried his head in his pillow. Hotsuma and Yuna been like brother and sister to him; there was nothing he wouldn't have done to make sure they were safe. That no one, Security or otherwise, would even be able to lay a finger on them.

And now? Yuna was inches from the Reaper's touch, and Hotsuma was off probably turning over every stone and brick to find those who did it. And here he was, crying his eyes out...Being a useless lump. The man, as Yuna correctly surmised, was a grudge-holder...Though he had a feeling few understood why he was that way.

Takeshi and Yamichi, and probably Yuna herself, were some of the select few that probaby understood the deeper reasons of his anger. His rage towards Goodwin and Goodwin alone; he often talked about taking revenge on the Topsiders, but that was just him blowing off steam. He knew the real problem: The Director, he was to blame for the Satellite.

"Shivini....Please just go...I wan...I want to be alone..."

"And you know that's not true. He would have been here alongside those demons, helping them make you feel guilty. You're ... not wrong to assume he is still upset. Very much so. But it's not at you."

She tapped her own forehead before proceeding, "Not ... not long after you and Yuna came back, he peered into her mind himself. He saw everything ... including that you were manipulated. Mentally and physically, literally coerced to stab her. He knows you didn't want to."

But ... she could hear that, for now, the words were falling on deaf ears. A bit annoying, but ... not overly amazing.

Fucking demons didn't help, she reminded herself, flashing a small smile as Shivini kept looking right at Takeshi.

"I know deep down that you know everything I'm saying is true. But ... "

She nodded in understanding, getting back up to her feet. "I'll give you exactly what you want ... and need. Time. Just ... at least promise me one thing. Don't give up on Yuna. The rest of us - at least who know about her state - haven't. So don't side with those demonic bastards and agree pulling her plug is the right move to make. It isn't ... and I'd like to think you do still believe that much is correct. You're smart. That's another reason why Hotsuma took you in as one of his own. Anyway ... I'll be back."

After letting Takeshi get any last words in, she began walking through the halls, though not before stopping and quickly relaying to both Eikichi and Hajime where she was going. It was very obvious that with the way he was? Takeshi wouldn't be in the proper mindset to watch over the Facility. Luckily, Eikichi had volunteered. The fact both herself and Hajime's aniki had gotten a break from having to give Yuna any blood made it much simpler for him to feel obligated to be beside Yuna and ensure she remained alive.

Hajime, naturally, had been found beside their leader ... still watching over her. Seeming to especially stare at her heart monitor. And even Shivini had taken a brief glimpse at it. It was the same as it had been since Mei got Yuna hooked up; weak ... but the pulse was still there.

Shivini took one last breath ... before grabbing the keys to the boat and pushing the doors open. She'd never really been on it ... not alone, at least. This would be the first time and that in itself was making her a bit nervous. But ... she couldn't hesitate. Not now, least of all when time really was of the essence.

A brief jog later and turn of the keys would be all Shivini needed to get the boat moving. With this, she headed off to the Tops, ready to pick up Finlay.

Hopefully he hasn't been waiting too long, she prayed, keeping her eyes cast towards the water as she began steering the boat.

[BGCOLOR=rgb(37, 49, 58)]Takeshi Yamaguchi :: Finlay Cromwell [/BGCOLOR]
Takeshi would say nothing as Shivini would turn to leave, still huddled in his bed. It was extremely clear he was still traumatized by everything that happened, feeling like he could do nothing, say nothing that would make this any better.

The normal him wouldn't give up on Yuna though...But it was unsure whether his current compromised judgment would think of allowing her to die. Just sit here and do nothing to aid her...Why not, right? It wasn't like he'd helped her any by nearly having her literally dragged down to her death.

As her footsteps faded, Takeshi would just pull his sheets tighter over himself...Wanting to just disappear.

====================

Indeed, Finlay would be waiting for a little bit; however, not nearly as long as she might think though. Partly because he got lost a little; this wasn't exactly an easy to access spot from what she'd told him. That and he wanted to be absolutely sure there wouldn't be too much traffic from Sector; while he was sure they wouldn't mind someone going INTO the Tops, he didn't want to get Shivini in trouble by having them learn they'd found another way into the Tops past the blockades.

He knew this wouldn't be an easy return trip; but if it was to help his girlfriend? Well, what man wouldn't jump at the chance? Plus...He found an odd thrill from this. He was skirting the bounds of the law so hard, it was quite invigorating!

And soon, he would see the small boat...Or rather, the large boat! Moreover, how did they install Runner Rails on it? Where did she get her hands on that? As she might pull up to the abandoned dock, he would climb aboard...And before she could greet him properly, she would find herself embraced in a hug. "I know it hasn't been long...But I'm really happy to see you." he would say, pulling away for a second to admire her before then asking, "I suppose...You had something to do with this? This is a rather nice boat; I had expected something...Well, more run-down. Nothing like this...Erm, no offense."

Shivini honestly didn't know what to say when she made the boat stop. She just ... stared up at Finlay, wearing quite the mixture of emotions. Happy to see him, apologetic she'd been forced to lie to him, uncertain if he still wanted to do this ....

And all of those would quiet down as he ran forward and hugged her. Her arms wrapped around him. Tension almost immediately began leaving her, a soft, content sigh passing her lips as she enjoyed the embrace. "It hasn't, but ... the past week has been ... "

Her head shook. It didn't matter in some respects and frankly? Shivini didn't want to talk more about it. More to the point ... they couldn't really dwell on the past. They were on a timer, and it was made more obvious as she let go of Finlay and walked back towards the wheel. A small smile passed her lips as the Amazoness shook her head, starting the ignition and beginning to drive away from the port.

"Actually ... this was Takeshi, Yamichi, and Hotsuma's doing. It was a surprise gift to Yuna and the members of Yomi."

Her head shook again, a low giggle eliciting as she added, "No offense. We were all pretty taken aback also."

The rest of the drive would be mostly quiet. It wasn't until they ceased at the port closest to the Facility that Shivini looked back at Finlay, wearing quite the serious look. "So .... "

She took a few moments, wondering how to explain what was about to meet his eyes ... before taking the route Yuna would; the direct and blunt way.

"You're about to see some really weird shit. Things that shouldn't exist - and I don't just mean Yuna's condition. Just umm ... stay close, and they'll leave you be." At this point, that was the primary saving grace regarding all of the demons still being around. They listened to anyone who gave them commands. Not happily, no, but it was good enough that it allowed Yuna to remain alive and any of the still living Disciple and Yomi remembers not to get killed off in their sleep. All because of the exact same reason that they found and were able to use against them, courtesy of Hajime.

"You defy any of us, and your Lord will be very unhappy with all of you."

Dangerous, no doubt. But it was the only way to even start keeping these unholy creatures even somewhat in check. And since it'd worked so far ... well ... it was the same route everyone continued taking. Even Shivini herself, despite it not being her typical way of speaking with anybody. But then again, she had never talked with actual demons. It was quite the way to get a very real 'Adapting 101' lesson.

As they got closer and inside the Facility, Finlay would finally see exactly what Shivini meant. She remained silent, not overly sure how to elaborate ... except finally muttering, "Yes, they are real. Your eyes aren't deceiving you."

And finally, they arrived in the room where Yuna was .... well, resting, as it were. Inside was a very worn out but equally determined looking Hajime, still adamantly staying beside Yuna. His head lifted as the two walked in, his focus going to Shivini.

This the one you hinted bringing over?

Though the question was directed at the Amazoness, both people could hear it.

Shivini nodded reassuringly.

"You sure you don't want rest? When's the last time you had sleep, even?"

Yes and .... doesn't matter. I'll live. We need to make sure she keeps doing just that. So ... Finlay I believe Shivini told us before leaving? After seeing Shivini give him an affirmative nod, he continued, Whatever you can try to do ... please do it. Or try, anyway. We just --

Shivini placed a hand gently on Hajime's shoulder, a silent signal that got the blue-haired lieutenant to stop. He understood even without digging into Shivini's thoughts; Finlay probably had enough pressure as it was. No sense making it worse.

So ... he took a deep breath, leaning back and beginning to watch ... whatever Finlay intended to do. It'd definitely be interesting, especially given Hajime couldn't pick up any psychic energy at all within this guy. So what did he have that no one else did? Well ... he supposed that would be the answer both he and Shivini would soon see for themselves.

"I could tell; you needn't explain it to me..." Finlay said, quickly wanting to avoid talking too much about it right now; they would have plenty of time to discuss it once they were on shore again. He would sit at the helm with her...Or rather stand, as the captain's cabin had no second seat. Probably needed it to make room for the rails to hook Duel Runners onto; just how much time did they spend modifying, repairing and polishing this boat? Moreover, how did Security not notice it?

He would get the answer to that question when they pulled into a partly destroyed harbor; no way Sector would think to look here, not for a boat of all things. "This...is actually ingenious. I'm sure the current administration wouldn't approve...But you won't find me spilling it to them, I promise you that." he would say; though he quickly shut up as she started to warn him about things he would see. About how it shouldn't make sense, but it apparently existed; now he was looking understandably nervous. Was she alright? Did whatever Yuna have affect the brain, and if it was contagious....No, she wouldn't dare bring him over if it was.

"Well...Hard to ask for a return trip now, I suppose. Kidding of course...But anyway, I trust you, Shivini. Whatever it may be...I'll be strong, I promise." he would say; and after climbing aboard her Runner with her, he would soon go into the Facility. His heart pounding with both excitement and dread; this must be what his Father felt like. Rumors of curse, of unholy things...Going somewhere that people had said was forbidden or dangerous. If anything were to cement his calling in life, it was definitely this moment that he firmly decided to follow his father's wishes and stay as an archaeologist.

However, those thoughts left him as he was brought to the Facility. Seeing the giant neon-lit sign that said in no uncertain terms the very group Shivini had told him about: YOMI. "Subtle...Guess if you managed to take this though, you're already a target." he muttered; though as he was led into the base, he soon was able to deduce what Shivini was telling him earlier. "Uhm...So they're real then..." he asked, only to receive the answer moments later; one of them noticed the boy staring and growled, Finlay huddling closer and sticking very close to his girlfriend's side.

But at least there would be a reprieve as he was brought to see a rather disheartening sight: A blue-haired young man, body thin and eyes worn from obvious stress, looking rather unkempt as he stayed by the prone woman's side. A woman in a lab coat and glasses drawing a blood sample to run for analysis, another member using his own limited know-how to assist with the bloodwork. Finlay jumped a bit as he heard a voice in his head, looking around for the source; though as Shivini might respond, he followed her gaze to see her talking with the very man that was sitting by the woman's bedside.

"How...." Finlay asked, the doctor speaking up, "He's a Psychic; don't feel bad, I didn't understand it either at first." Finlay just blinked, looking at the female attendant as she then clarified, "I'm called Mei around these parts, some just call me 'Doc' or even the combined 'Doc Mei'; any work, so pick your poison. And when Finlay tilted his head, Mei clarified, "I used to work here when it was under Warden Armstrong...But management changed, and I decided to help them out. You think this is bad...Should have seen the conditions before it fell. Could use less demons...But they drive off any Sector patrols snooping around. Plus...Provides me an actual place I can provide treatment for the residents of the Satellite. Much better than Puzzle Hospital."

Finlay seemed quite shocked by all this, and actually had to be snapped out of it when Hajime, as he was called, would prod him to see what he could do. "Ah...R-right, sorry...." the young man said, coming over to Yuna's bedside as Hajime would vacate his seat. "Can you tell me anything about her, Doctor? I have some basic theories based on talks Shivini and I have had." Mei nodded, "Well, I've tried drug therapy to help break her coma, but it's persistent. My gut tells me it's something different...She can apparently 'transform' into a Duel Monster." Finlay looked up at her in surprise, but Mei shrugged her shoulders, "Sorry, kid; wish I was joking, but it's tru...."

However, she didn't even get to finish her apology before Finlay shoved his bag down and started to rifle through it, Mei just blinking in surprise; what had she said exactly. "You said she could transform...Is it partial? Complete? Fused, any parts of her remaining during it?" he then asked, his eyes seeming to zip over the pages as he pulled out tomes, books and scrolls. Now it was Mei's turn to be stunned, "Uhm...I don't know, I haven't really seen it enough to make that call...I would imagine..." Finlay interjected, however, "That's fine...Crap, did I forge...Nope, it's right....Silly me, silly silly....Ka, Ba....Summoning, Summoning....No, no, that' s not it...Close, but not quite...."

And while Finlay indeed had no Psychic ability of any kind, he would prove himself in yet another way: Unloading his bag even more, he took out of it a small and clearly old book and started flipping through it like a madman. "Is he alright?" Mei asked Shivini, having come to stand by the Amazoness deck user; she knew some eccentric types in medical school, and this boy was very closely resembling a Doctor Solus she knew in post-grad. Genius...But often spoke faster than most humans should be able to. "Now...Shivini had said Yuna had a run-in...with some unnaturally able humans. I don't know the exact nature of their powers...Do you all know anyone who can provide more insight into who it was they were fighting?" Mei then nodded her head to Hajime, "Hajime's the only person I know who's still here that has any clue to what's happened."

Finlay would then come over and stand before Hajime, "Er...Hajime, was it? I apologize, but I'd like to ask some questions if it's not too much. The people that did this to Yuna...Did they have any symbols on them? Anything that looked like these?" He would then show a page of the book he was reading to Hajime, showing a page full of Peruvian geoglyph depictions...And if he looked closely, he would see a very familiar symbol in the middle of one of the pages. The Giant Geoglyph, the title would say.

Physical strength isn't the main concern, quite honestly ...

And it really wasn't. In truth, Shivini was a bit more worried about Finlay's sanity and how it'd be at the end of this trip. But once he said he didn't want to ask to get back on the boat ... well .... then there was no turning back. She gave a quiet but firm nod and began leading the way inside the relatively newly transformed Facility. When one of the demons growled at Finlay, she narrowed her eyes in response.

Not her typical reaction, but these fiends really had been trying almost everyone's patience as of late, including the normally calm and collected Amazoness herself.

"Yes. Yes, they're ... very real. But they can't do shit unless you stay near me."

It'd be pretty easy to figure her feelings about them out given she added a rare curse in her response. Her eyes softened as she turned and glanced back at Finlay, chuckling nervously. "I umm ... I promise, not everything in here is this ... weird. But umm ... yeah. They are gonna be around, somewhat unfortunately. It's kinda why I gave you the warning ahead of time ... "

Not that it had worked perfectly. Then again, she doubted anyone would have been able to fully prepare themselves for a sight like actual, literal demons. And it wasn't like Shivini could blame anyone. Especially since she'd lived with them since Hotsuma opted to create them.

After walking and navigating through the large halls, they would finally enter the same room, where Mei must have come in recently. All Shivini knew was she hadn't been there when she left to pick Finlay up. "Hey, Mei. Anything ... new?" she asked hopefully.

But even without Mei saying anything, it was pretty easy to notice the answer. No, no there wasn't. And it made her fret. Mei was a certified doctor. Had she really asked too much of Finlay? How was he supposed to figure this out?

She'd stay quiet, allowing Mei to relay everything she had taken note of thus far with Yuna's ... coma, more or less. And finally ... the first of many questions was answered. And luckily for Finlay, someone did have the correct answer.

Depends on what's needed. She's done partial and full. She never went full unless it was in a really desperate situation ...

He tilted his head back, letting him more easily see the faint - but still noticeable - scar over his neck.

Last - and only time I saw - she went full was when she bailed me, my aniki, and Yamichi outta Arcadia after they made me this way. She typically favors partial though. When she still has the capability to do so, anyway.

His arms crossed over his chest, an irked sigh echoing in everyone's minds.

For the past few months, she'd been stuck like me; mute but also unable to change. She literally just got her voice back recently before .... this shit happened. Probably could have asked Rose for help if she got the chance, but then ....

Shivini shook her head no, only for Hajime to look questioningly at her.

If he's gonna help, he's gonna need to know everything, don't ya think?

"True, but if it's causing you that much pain, then ---"

The main thing that's really annoying me is knowing I can't fucking join Hotsuma! Not with Yuna like this. Seriously, he thinks he's the only one wanting a piece of Kiryu?!

His eyes rolled.

Fuck no! We deserve as much of a chance to help him kill that fucker. But no. He didn't think of us. Just himself!

Another frustrated huff ... and finally, his eyes softened slightly.

I guess if he's gonna go down that route, he damn well better make it count. But if he fails ... I'm picking up where he left off.

"If he fails? I mean ... his own form .... it's not .... "

And yet, look what they did to YUNA! She's not weak either! They're barely human, if I had to guess! No, scratch that - they aren't. Not with Kiryu coming back from the fucking dead. They have .... I don't know. And I don't get it, but ...

Hajime stopped, hearing the next question and giving a quick nod to Finlay.

Takeshi ... they'd taken him a while back. Yuna tried to get a hold of Hotsuma to avoid going alone. But she couldn't get a hold of him. With any of us having finally gotten a lead though ... she didn't want it to go to waste. And so ... she left and found both Kiryu and Takeshi. Was coerced into a duel .... that had ....

A groan of frustration now reverberated. It was always hard to explain moments like these, because ... no one would - rightfully, mind you - believe these kinds of things would or could happen under normal circumstances. But these had been any factors but normal ones.

Excuse me ...

Without elaborating on why he said what he did, Hajime stood up and placed his hand atop Finlay's forehead. He wouldn't likely enjoy what he was about to see ... but it was the best way to truly dictate what had happened. But he wouldn't only use his powers to show the last fight. Hajime also added the two weeks of being stuck and tortured in as well; not out of hate or spite. Far from it.

But with Yuna having seen more than just Kiryu, it would give Finlay the chance to see their faces and powers.

The actual process would be brief, only lasting a bit over three minutes. And it'd all be like a set of books that Finlay could flip through to re-watch and replay should he need to see certain parts once more.

There. That's ... the quickest way to explain it all.

Shivini rose an eyebrow towards Hajime. "You really think that was wise?"

Actually, yes. No offense to your friend here, but he doesn't stand out. No one's gonna question him or even think he knows anything about Yuna. Look, you brought him over in hopes he could figure shit out, right? And you just said yourself I should fill him completely in so he's not left in the dark, so ...

" ... Okay. Fine. Fair points. Just ... careful who you give that sorta information to."

... Shivini, come now. You know I don't do this much, if ever.

Shivini nodded, holding her hands beside her head and going quiet once again before turning to look back at Finlay, smiling softly as she finally heard Mei's question. "He's fine, yes ... I think? Finlay, if this is a bit much, please do let us know though, okay? I did ask you to try and you're definitely doing that much, so ... "

But the room would go quiet as he finally held one book out and opened it to a page that, had Hajime not been up on his feet, would have made him quickly stand.

.... Wait a second. Why is that in the book?! Does this mean ... these symbols, these powers .... they're not new?! They've been around or some shit?!

.... That wasn't fair. Not at all. It only made his worries and concerns if Hotsuma could succeed in besting these people that much more valid.

.... That's the same thing Kiryu had. And used. It's ... in the last duel flashback I gave you ...

Finlay seemed to tense up as Hajime approached him; though he was sure the blue-haired young man had no intention of harming him...Well, it was kind of intimidating to have someone who freely associated with literal demons. He had no real idea what 'Arcadia' was; he'd heard of the organization, supposedly some kind of institute for exceptionally gifted people. He never understood what it was; whole thing gave off a creepy cult vibe to him.

And hearing him vent about this Hotsuma character? "Well...Not to intrude, but maybe he knows you want to stay by Yuna's side and wants to try and deal with him so you don't have to be in danger?" Finlay then said, being (probably very) naively optimistic. But then, he was just an outsider; he had no real clue what they endured, what types of hardships they've had to endure. And despite the gravity of Yuna's condition...With how they talked, it was very likely this was just the tip of the iceberg when it came to their troubles and woes.

Oh, how very right that was...Something he was about to see for himself as Hajime touched his head, soon seeing pictures flash before his eyes. No, more like a movie of memories, ones kept in extremely vivid detail. He could hear the howls of anger, the shouts of pain and desperation, the vile and utter atrocity from the man and woman in the dark robes...And more so than anything else, the violence of their aura. One that was closely contested by the one coming from the giant in the purple armor in the more recent memories; what in the hell was that, anyway?! It looked like the demons here...

Poor Finlay shook as Hajime halted the graphic experience, his mind desperately trying to play catch-up; he seemed about two shades whiter after that. His pupils were wide and dilated like mad, the eyelids pulled back from stress to reveal the whites in their near entirety, and was sweating profusely, hunched over on all fours and breathing harshly. It might have been more normal for Shivini and the others here to experience that...But this was literally his very first encounter with such a thing, and the experience was rather shocking to him. On many different levels.

"Finlay? Are you alright?" Mei asked, coming to kneel by the young man's side and helping to steady his breathing, a hand comfortingly on his back "It's alright...Just breathe in....Out...In....Out..." Mimicking the pattern, Finlay was quick to fall in line, his chest rising and falling less so now but still looking to be in quite the state of shock. Of course, no one could have predicted how he would react to such a potent sensory overload, but...It was for the better, as the memories were now his to peruse.

"There...Just take it easy..." Mei said, Finlay pushing himself up to sit on his knees. Seeming to have calmed down more, Mei then asked, "Better?" The young man just nodded, "Better....Thank you..." He then said to Hajime, "Sorry about that...Guess it shook me a little harder than I was expecting." Clearing his throat as he shakily stood up, he then replied too the bluenette's question, "Kiryu's the one with the silver hair, yes? Indeed, that was on his arm..."

He then went back over and retrieved a scroll from his bag, rolling it out on the ground so they could all see it. It showed pictographs and inscriptions. "Is that...Hieroglyphs?" Mei asked, Finlay replying "It's from an old quipucamayoc I met during a find from one of my father's explorations in Peru. Was the primary language of the Incan Empire, still used and spoken. It's a logosyllabic transliteration of artifacts and records we found. They communicated using knotted strings you see; patterns in the weave, colors and knot sequences produced a surprisingly accurate and colorful replication of their history. Even the direction and the composition of the fibers in the strings themselves holds information. A true language of three senses: Sight, touch and hearing. Admittedly the replication I made is imperfect, but I feel I managed to pick up fairly quickly over the years...Quite the system wouldn't you ag..."

However, he would soon be met with blank looks as he looked up on hearing only silence; giving a slight grin, he then said with a sheepish grin, "Erm...Sorry. Getting off-topic...My apologies" Mei placed her fingers to her lips in a bit of a stifled chuckle, stating "Shivini, you should introduce him to Yamichi; I get the feeling these two would get along great." Finlay smirked a little, just adding "Anyway...To answer your question...Yes. This has been around before; there's gaps in the records, but this isn't the first time they've showed time."

Pulling up another scroll, he then showed them a picture of a man in a dark cloak, wearing a symbol much like that of Misty's own...The geoglyph of the lizard. "Loosely translated, the older cultures - before even the Inca Empire - called them 'those who carry the crest of the evil gods', and they fought against 'those who carried the crest of the dragon god'. It seems to happen every 5 or so millenia...And they were said to carry vast power from their contracts. But that's for those who did this to her. Now for Yuna?"

He then showed them yet another tome, a series of hieroglyphs on the page as he stated, "During a dig in Egypt, we found ancient relics their society called 'Diadhanks'. Basically, they're supposedly devices that invested the user's life energy to command a monster sealed in stone. Kind of like how our Duel Disks work today...And it's said that if their Life Energy, or "Ba", is depleted, they can fall into unconsciousness, sometimes even die." He then pulled out a fourth book, showing the same transliterated language from the first scroll, "We see the same situations here; except instead their Ritual Duels did not involve those devices. Instead, they directed infused the stone sealing the monster with their own energy...Allowing it to be released and perform rites for almost everything." He then shook his head, "Now, as I have no way of actually measuring it, I can only give my evidence based on what you told me. I believe that Yuna used too much of her actual Ba, or Life Energy, in her duel against Takeshi. If the drain was too heavy, it could explain her resistance to the drug therapy, as her level of unconsciousness would be too deep to have modern techniques work."

Mei seemed to get serious here, her brow furrowing as she then asked, "Well...That certainly explains a lot, but how does that help her get better?" Finlay shook his head, "I'm not sure; I'm only going off theory here, as I've never encountered this up until now...And I don't even know if it's right." He then looked down at the ground, feeling like he didn't give an adequate answer, "I'm sorry....I wish I could give more..."

Both Shivini and Hajime looked at one another when Finlay brought Hotsuma up. They silently stared at one another ... before looking back over to the newcomer.

See, if he'd said literally anything before just vanishing, I'd buy that explanation a lot easier. But he didn't give any of us so much as a hint. And he knows the state Yuna's in. If word got out she's even somewhat alive and the place was overrun by those Dark Signer fuckers ...

He let it trail off there. The grimace on Shivini's face helped confirm where he had been going with that train of thought. "He's ... not completely wrong. Some sort of notification would definitely have been preferred. So now ... whenever Yamichi does get back ... we're going to have to give him that news. And ... " Her head shook. "He and Takeshi were, rightfully so, close with him. I won't blame Yamichi for not taking the news well."

Any of it, really, she thought, a soft sigh passing her lips. There was going to be a lot of bad shit Yamichi would return to. It made her wonder ... should she talk to Ling and see about keeping him from coming back?

She doubted that could be arranged, though. And even if it could ... well ... that didn't feel overly fair. One way or another, he would find out. It was a matter of when, not if. So ... perhaps sooner would be better over later.

Hajime would firmly nod when Finlay double checked whether Kiryu was the silver-haired male or not.

Yeah. That's the prick, alright.

And as the two got filled in on what details Finlay did have, Hajime's fists clenched. It only confirmed his earlier thoughts. That forced duel .... it was complete, utter bullshit. Even if Yuna had been able to tap into Rose ... there was a next to zero chance of that helping her out. These unholy fuck faces had literal gods and demons on their side. How was anyone supposed to fight them?

Could anyone even ... ??

Shivini may be 'normal', as far as not being a psychic went, but Hajime's expression made it relatively obvious to guess what was going through his head.

"So," she began to speak, "Our best bet is to hope that anyone who has the mark of this Dragon god is alive and around? Is that what you're saying?"

That sent a chill down her spine. One that made her visibly shiver.

.... They may be, Shivini.

"Huh? Why do you say that?"

We both watched the Fortune Cup, remember? We all did, rather. Remember Fayth's duels? Particularly when her arm seemed to act up?

"That could have been just -- "

But she stopped when Hajime shook his head from side to side.

I thought that too. And I'd be more inclined to believe you ... if I hadn't seen her shoulder glow a few times. When it seemed to get really bad, especially. And she also seemed adamant on keeping whatever was on her shoulder hidden. Like she was scared of the wrong people seeing .... whatever it may be.

"Well ... okay. Let's pretend you're right. That's only one anti-Dark Signer."

She wasn't the only one, if you think back. Hers just ... reacted the strongest.

Hajime's head moved from side to side again.

I can't explain why, but even I noticed that much. It was ... almost like a really strong reaction to ... something.

His eyebrows furrowed. There were far too many blanks that weren't filled in for Hajime's liking. Worse off, he could be completely wrong on his guess. But that was exactly why he was praying and begging that he wasn't wrong, because if he was? Then either no one to fight them was around, or ... worse. God forbid worse; hadn't enough shit happened already?

As Finlay went on about ... Ba? Was that really a thing?

Regardless, as he brought it up, it ... sounded really weird. Hard to believe under normal circumstances. But Yuna was in anything but a remotely 'typical' circumstance. And with them having failed to gather any leads at all, the best they could do was accept he knew what he was talking about.

Which made the end verdict he gave all the more disheartening.

"So .... there's nothing we can do in the end?"

Hajime's clenched fist met the wall, frustration visible in his eyes. A bruise was already forming on his fist, but he was beyond caring. No, the lieutenant was absolutely furious and upset with what he was hearing.

Then ... what?! We have to just pray like mad and hope she may wake up?! Is that all ... is there nothing more ... ??

Tears were already pricking at Hajime's eyes as he looked up. Pleadingly. Wanting to be wrong on understanding what he was hearing. There was no way Finlay had come out all this way ... just to say they had to wait even longer and keep a close on Yuna ... was there?

Finlay felt even worse now; he'd thought this news would give them some kind of hope. Something to pray for...To wish for, to hope.

But maybe that's just it...

Finlay started to see a fault in his logic; he still held the bias that these people - while different - lived no different lives than him. And when he arrived here, he did take note of the disarray. The destruction and disrepair of the island itself. Or what he'd seen of it anyway.

But now? Seeing Hajime upset? He realized hopes and wishes was basically all most of them had; there was little room to think of the future when the present was shoved in your face every waking and sleeping hour.

"I'm sorry, Hajime...I wish I could bear better news." Finlay said, now kind of upset with himself for thinking his rationalizing Yuna's condition would do anything for them. "Hajime....Try not to take your frustration out on Finlay if you can help it. The young man tried...And truthfully when dealing with comas that's about all we can do. There's no magic cure-all for this sort of thing; advanced as we are, there's still very little we know about the human brain. But given everything I've heard just now, it seems like her contracted spirit is partly the reason for her current state." he then heard Mei say, turning his head a bit to see the elder woman beside him, a hand on his shoulder. The good doctor had avoided using 'blame' in the sentence; if only because she herself wasn't sure if the spirit even knew the full extent of the consequences pertaining to overexerting its influence.

Hotsuma...Wherever you're at...Just be safe...And come back soon, for Yuna's sake. Mei then prayed internally; others might have given up on him, disowned him...But having a brother die in your arms could shock someone in different ways. While he might have been perhaps a bit, well unseated before...She'd seen similar reactions from those who had loved ones die in their embrace from wounds as well, so she knew he was likely in pain from loss. And here in the Satellite? With everything between rival gangs and Sector trying to imprison them for life?

"And...As far as I can tell, it's not a grim prognosis. You said that they sometimes fall unconscious, yes? That implies some of them would wake back up." she then said, a small smile on her face. Finlay nodded, "Quite; there was several instances of both Pharaohs and their appointed servants who could wield those ancient spirits comatose for days before they would awaken again. If the ancient texts hold any truth to them, that is...Similar phenomena were also observed in South America, though those seemed more...trial-like. As if they were experimenting how to bridge the gap between where these souls resided."

Mei nodded, "Well...Then whether it's permanent or not, just know I'm not pulling the plug then." At this Finlay raised his head a little higher, "If it's alright with you, Doctor...I'd like to stay for a while. Perhaps I can study her more closely, see if I can't pinpoint anything that might help us break her coma." Mei shook her head, "I have no problem with it...But it's not truly up to me. Hajime will have to be the decider on that."

At this Finlay paused; the young man wasn't happy with his news, would he even think to allow him to stay? He didn't know himself if he could help, but he would try. "Hajime...I realize you might not have the room or even want me here...But if you're willing to allow it, I would like to stay and help however I can."

Hajime shot Mei an irked glare, his arms going over his chest.

If I wanted to take it out on Finlay, trust me. I wouldn't have bothered hitting the wall. Don't talk to me like I can't handle myself. Divine wasn't that generous with these powers. They're weak compared to what Yuna has ... had ... whatever her status is.

"It's ... a bit of a fair concern though. And don't you dare say you're not justified. You are ... but it isn't just you. We all are as anxious as you. You've just ... been the most devoted to watching over Yuna. I'm sure she'll appreciate that when she wakes up. But calm down long enough to realize you're not the only one living each day and wondering if she'll ever come back to us or not. Takeshi has been in his own funk because he's shouldering the blame ... even though it's not at all his fault. I don't really wanna think how Yamichi is gonna react to any of this ... me and Eikichi have been doing what we can, all while wondering if it's even helping at all so .... "

A frustrated huff echoed in everyone's minds as Hajime's head fell against the wall, eyes temporarily closing. His head slowly nodded as he mulled over Shivini's words, realizing that this was one of her moments where she held a valid point.

.... Fine. Fair point. And I can at least hear he's not bullshitting me when he says he's sorry, so for that? I am genuinely glad.

When Finlay offered to stay, the immediate sight of Hajime's eyebrows raising initially gave a very strong indication he didn't like the idea. What good was studying if there wasn't really a way to reverse this?

But then ... his gaze shifted to Shivini and then Mei ... and upon keeping his eyes right on the doctor, another soft breath elicited.

She could use another assistant. We're duelists more than much else, so ... since you do seem to be the next closest doctor around, fine. There's only one condition, and I'd like to think it's pretty fair, all things considered.

The blue-haired lieutenant nodded towards the chair he was sitting in.

I'll stay out of your way when you work. But don't even think of asking me to leave Yuna's side. I'll do so on my own accord if I need to eat, shower, or whatever. But no trying to make me when I don't want to. Fair enough?

Shivini chuckled softly. "That umm ... well, that's just how he is. Yamichi's the same with Hotsuma, as he's his second. So umm ... he's not meaning to come off as too much of a hard-ass."

Not too much, no. Hajime admitted.

"Just .... well, as you've heard, everything we're dealing with is .... a massive mess. Something close to the image of several train wrecks, probably worse. Yuna's been out, we have no idea if Hotsuma's even alive or not, Yamichi is going to get dismissed and learn about everything, Takeshi's stuck in depression, and ... yeah. If you really wanna stay, expect tension to be in the air. It's not gonna go away until at least some of these negative factors start vanishing. So ... fair warning now. If you wanna change your mind, it'd be smart to do so now as opposed to later."

Hajime merely nodded in agreement, looking curiously up to see if Finlay's resolve would waver or not.

"Well, I'm no doctor...But hopefully I can provide Mei answers to help guide her treatments." Finlay then said; he was honestly hoping Hajime wouldn't be too hard on him. He was trying to be the bigger man here, but basically hearing him saying "Why can't you do more" and then have a problem with him being here at all?

He'd be lying if he didn't say if it wasn't getting on his nerves; as far as Hajime was concerned, he could just fuck right off. He wasn't asking to be praised or anything, but was a simple "thanks for offering" that hard to say? Maybe it was, given the state of the Satellite; the stories seemed to paint the picture of a cut-throat world. Everyone stabbing everyone else in the back just for a bit more to their lives.

"But no...I'm not leaving. I offered to help and I'm going to stay...Whether I'm wanted or not. I won't abandon someone I can help, especially so if she's close to someone I care about." Finlay said, kind of a silent and subtle 'Fuck you for being a dick' to Hajime. Mei just clapped her hands, "Very good...Shivini, why don't you see about helping him settle in? I think we still have some rooms just down the hall that he can choose from. Hajime, I could use your help to stabilize Yuna's arm; I have to be very precise with how I administer this injection..."

Finlay at this packed up all his texts, scrolls and items into his duffel bag, following Shivini as she might lead them out of the room. "Still kind of weird to be in the Facility itself...I'm kind of curious how they pulled this off myself. Must not have been easy." Oh how little he knew.

==========================================================================================================================

Yamichi sat up in the hospital bed, looking a good deal better than he had been after his Duel with Ryu. He and Ling witnessed the young man being led out in chains a few days ago, himself explaining and crying out he hadn't done anything. What a load of crap that was.

"Well...Hopefully your parents will lay off a bit yeah? Kind of hard for them to deny things now, hehe." Yamichi joked, sitting with Ling as he waited for the final examination that would allow him to be discharged. They'd talked about what happened in the immediate aftermath; he was just glad her parents seemed to turn about on their opinions. Xen had even come by once to check in as well, and even offered to help in negotiating any deals with sponsors. Given his profession and being her father, it was honestly fitting...And hoped that despite what happened, Ling would consider it as a way to 'let bygones be bygones'.

Still...Yamichi knew the man was only trying to look out for what he believed were her best interests. It was nice, seeing a parent care, even if it was in an extremely roundabout way. And he himself had perhaps misjudged her parents; he'd been an orphan for so long that he forgot how strict parents could be.

He'd had a few visitors, some of which had seen the news vids from The Dueling Network channel about the attack on Ling and came to wish him well in his recovery. He had yet to be visited by Goodwin; something he was more than grateful for. This was probably the worst time for that garbage.

However, both of them would get a welcome surprise as they heard a knock on the door. Yamichi looked up and saw a face that nearly gave him a heart attack.

"Yo, Yamichi...Or should I say, Scrap Dealer-san?" said Shimoda with a smile, coming into the room. "Sh-shimoda? But...how..." Shimoda cocked his head, then eyes widened at the realization, "Ah...That Ryu asshole, right. Bragged about killing me...Saw him being processed when I went to get my Deck back from the police impound. But...No, I ain't dead, and this isn't a hallucination." Yamichi just looked up at the young man, "Then..." Shimoda sighed, "He cold-cocked me with a bat to the back of the head, split it open. Last thing I remember was him taking my Disk and deck, then waking up in a hospital room. Probably thought he killed me, that's why he left me be."

At this Shimoda turned around and parted the hair near the back of the cranium, showing a two-inch wound with several staples in it. "Thankfully no concussions...But these staples suck. But you got it worse than me from the sounds and looks of it; how did he mangle you so badly?" Shimoda asked as he turned around; Yamichi fell silent here, not sure how to reply, before long deciding to be honest.

"You know how when Shivini and Takeshi dueled and they got hurt for real? Basically...That." Yamichi said, Shimoda letting out a 'Tch' and replying, "And he used my Deck to do it...The prick. I'm sorry..." Yamichi cocked his head, Shimoda saying "If I hadn't been so careless..." but the tech just said, "If it wasn't your Deck, it would have been someone else's...Besides, I got out. That's what matters."

Shimoda just chuckled, "You're a weird guy, Yamichi...But I'm glad you're alright." He then turned to Ling with a smile, "By the way...Congrats again, Miss Dueling Champion. You definitely earned it, no matter how much the crowd was booing you." He then asked her sincerely, "But how's everything? You know...Besides this current mess."

It wasn't hard to read the mood in the room. So when Mei asked Shivini to help Finlay get situated, she more than eagerly took that opportunity up. Her head quickly nodded as she walked out with Finlay, taking a gentle but firm hold on his right arm. Only when they were out of earshot and sight did she speak up again.

"I'm sorry about that. It's ... it wasn't acceptable, no. But ...."

Her head moved sadly from side to side.

"Nothing involving this place has been easy. It doesn't excuse Hajime's words, no. But just ... give him - all of us, really - time."

Shivini finally moved a hand up towards her eye and removed some concealer that had been very carefully applied. Underneath was a dark circle, and even though he wasn't a doctor, Finlay could determine it wasn't due to being hit, but lack of sleep. "We're all living on an almost literal edge we'e never had to deal with before. Or, in the case of those of us who haven't even returned yet, we're going to be living on one hell of a cliff. And we're all just ... barely hanging on. All of us." A defeated sigh passed Shivini's lips as she glanced towards the direction where Takeshi's room was.

"I don't know if any of us are going to even revert to the slightly more typical version of ourselves, and that's including the possibility of Yuna waking up."

Her head turned back towards Finlay as she looked right into eyes with a saddened, but still determined, look.

"But damned if at least I'm not gonna try. Some of the others though ... aren't, haven't been handling this bullshit nearly as easily. And it's understandable in quite a few regards. So ... I'm not saying forget what he said or did. But eventually ... forgive Hajime. Please."

Hajime, meanwhile, had been following Mei's instructions. Compared to the harsh nature of his tone to Finlay moments ago, he was very gentle with Yuna's body. Were it not for the fact Shivini had hinted she had been an item with Hotsuma, it'd be easy to think her and Hajime were lovers. And that assumption would get stronger after Mei left.

Please wake up ... sometime ... he pleaded, gently moving onyx bangs away from Yuna's shut eyes.

It wasn't much - but a faint glimmer of hope came as Yuna's head turned away. She didn't utter any sounds, nor move afterwards ... but the fact was, her body had finally moved! On its own too! All things considered, this was a very good sign in Hajime's eyes. His head silently nodded, as if approving of the simple gesture, as he let his head fall against the wall. All the while, he never let go of Yuna's arm ... even though it wasn't necessary to keep it still or exposed for Mei.

Regardless of her boyfriend's answer, Finlay would be led into one of the many spare bedrooms within the Facility. At this rate - annoying as it was - she could only continue to do the same she'd been resorting to. Expecting the worst, but praying for the best possible outcomes.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

The entire duration of Yamichi's hospital stay had been tough. Mainly with watching him recover. Ling had found herself balancing her emotions; never wanting to come off as if she pitied him, but definitely voicing concern and worry for him in the right situations. It was odd - and that was a generous understatement - for Ling to consciously take note of her emotions and keep them in check.

But all in all?

She felt like it had worked out pretty well.

"They've already agreed to. That, unfortunately, was something that me and dad talked about when you were being driven to the hospital, and were thus already unconscious. But ... yes. They will."

A genuine, if not slightly tired, smile crossed her face as she gently took a hold of one of Yamichi's hand.

"Father agreed ... we can be an item. You definitely proved yourself in that duel. He even bought my cards that got lost. He had a lot of epiphanies that evening. He's still gonna be a bit protective, but that's over the more ... intimate matters. But that's also fair enough for now."

The knock was honestly a bit of a relief, because her face was getting a bit too crimson for her own good. Ling's head lifted ... and eyes also widened as she saw a face that ... was he even supposed to be here?

"Shi...moda? Is ... that really you?"

Apparently, yes. Her eyes softened as her heart felt just a bit more complete than it had over the past .... had it even been a week? Almost? Ling had no idea, but frankly, some part of her didn't care. This was a great sight, in all honesty. No, she hadn't been overly close with Shimoda. But knowing he had never been dead prior to Yamichi arriving here? It certainly took a weight off her own shoulders, and she could only guess how relieved Yamichi was feeling.

She gently rubbed his back, hoping it'd help reassure him should he still need it in any form or fashion, only giving Shimoda her full attention when he spoke to her.

"O-Oh, please ... you don't need to be so formal with me. Just Ling will more than suffice. I already got a lot of agencies who have been contacting me doing things like that. Miss Dueling Queen, especially. I suddenly see exactly what Jack meant about needing patience when it came to this position. He was definitely not kidding."

A soft laugh passed her lips as she grinned at Shimoda.

"Much better, actually. It's been hectic and stressful, sure. But umm ... everything that went ... well, to shit ... has been fixed in some form or fashion. Not perfect, of course, but improvement has definitely been in the works."

"Shimoda-kun! Why are you out and about?! What have I told you! You need to be resting!"

Behind Shimoda was one of the many nurses currently on duty in the hospital. In her hands were papers - likely the dismissal ones for Yamichi - and a scowl was on her face.

"If you're really going to stay and visit here, then at least sit down and take it easy. But I'm not going to just let you carelessly wander around in your state. Is that clear?"

The woman would wait for him to answer, then move, before entering herself. "Okay, Yamichi-kun ... let's see ... " Vitals were starting to be jotted down ... and when she noted his pulse was just a tad bit higher than it should be, she looked back to the young man ... and finally noticed Ling's hand. "Miss? Please don't. Even the simplest of gestures can influence the human body. That's the simplest explanation for an otherwise long and complicated lecture that, frankly, I doubt you want."

"Huh?"

A quick following of the nurse's gaze helped Ling realize she was, indeed, still holding Yamichi's hand. The red she'd been trying to hide finally emerged on her face as she swiftly, though somewhat reluctantly, complied with the nurse. "Sorry, ma'am," she muttered, allowing the nurse to continue her exam.

It would only take about five more minutes ... but they likely would feel so much longer to everyone in the room. Finally, though, the nurse would speak up once more.

"Well, Mister Hizumara ... it seems like you can finally leave today. You'll have to keep taking it easy, just as a precaution. Dueling is something that I don't overly recommend; however, if you truly must, use vigilance when you do so." And with that, the papers were handed over. "Sign anywhere an X is marked beside, please. After that, you're free to go."

Back
Top Bottom