Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yu-gi-oh 5Ds: Rise of Darkness and Corruption (Athene/ImaginaryMuse & Razgriz)

Oh yay!

It was a really small thing. But sometimes, it was the moments that would seem minor that mattered the most. This especially held true for someone such as Shivini. So upon hearing she wasn't completely wrong in her guess made her happier than it probably should were anyone in her shoes.

Just like before, the Amazoness user would keep the figurine held firmly in her hands. They would be about halfway to the docks when Finlay offered his proposal.

"Hmm ... if no one would mind, sure."

He would at least be able to hear that truly was her concern and not being afraid she would get bored or something. Because even for Shivini, the same would technically apply if roles were reversed and she was making that offer to Finlay. Except it'd be more like she would need to try to decide when a decent day to introduce him to Yuna would be.

And then there were other factors, of course.

Namely finding some middle ground. She doubted - nor wouldn't blame Finlay - for not wishing to go into the Facility. Even with it under Yuna and Hotsuma's control.

... Well, that's why she was waiting her turn, as it were. Finlay would have a much simpler time getting his next date figured out before she ever took a chance to host anything.

"Indeed. We got time, so --- "

A smile appeared, but so did copious amounts of crimson tinges all over Shivini's face as the kiss reached her cheek.

"I'll talk to you later!"

Before she pivoted on her feet, Shivini leaned down and returned the favor, giving Finlay a kiss on his cheek for the second time that day. She giggled softly before finally hurrying back to the boat. All the while, she waved ... something Finlay would see before she eventually vanished out of sight.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

As great as the hotel had been - as well as the Fortune Cup - it was time for everything to come to an eventual halt. Back to .... actually, even the thought of her typical life may not be true anymore. She hadn't bothered checking her cell phone. Not yet. But if Jack's words were as accurate as Ling was assuming, she likely had quite a few voicemails from more than just her parents. Sponsors, as the former King had hinted.

Well ... those could wait at least ten more minutes.

More than anything, she was trying to hurry to get her Wheeler back.

A coy grin appeared on her face as she would arrive back with Yamichi at her residence. The outside would make it look rather typical. Large - but not too much. At most, it only had an extra story. More for her parents' sake than her own, as they tended to use it for work or social parties that were sometimes hosted. It all depended, really, on the occasion.

It would be the inside that would separate her house from almost any other in the Tops.

"You'll be fine. Honestly? There's a higher chance they're still out and about. A rain check's probably gonna have to be made. Work keeps them away from here, so ...."

Ling casually shrugged, opening a small pad and rapidly typed some numbers for a code in. Soon, the garage door opened.

"Here. Feel free to park your Wheeler here. We've been lucky to avoid any burglaries, but it has been a problem in this area."

After the two vehicles were stored away, the door would be re-locked. Ling would proceed to pull a spare key out from the pocket of her outfit and open the front door.

"We also practice this habit," she hinted, slipping out of her shoes while fumbling around for the lights. "So, this is mostly pretty similar to other places. The main difference is the decor."

Sure enough, instead of white like Yamichi may expect, crimson painted the walls, as did various paintings. A few yin-yangs, some dragons, and anything else Chinese in nature. Even had some incense burning.

Wait, what?!

Why was that happening?

A concerned look crossed her face as the first thought that entered Ling's head was they'd been too late and the place got broken into anyway. Holding a finger up to her lips, she guided Yamichi out of the hallway and into the living room.

... And wasn't sure if she was relieved or not to see her parents already there. Sitting on the couch. Arms crossed over their chests .... wearing the angriest looks she'd seen in years. Maybe ever in her whole life.

"O-Oh ... hi. You're back early .... "

Yamichi would note the expressions on their faces weren't changing.

"Wǒ yù dàole máfan, bùshì ma?"

He wouldn't need to know Chinese to understand one thing; Ling's tone. She was nervous. Which implied the question somehow matched how she sounded.

"Even so..." Yamichi would say as he dismounted his Runner; it was nice of her to let him use their garage, especially if the aforementioned burglaries were truly an issue. "Thank you, but still...I don't think this is a good idea yet." He knew part of him was likely just being a worrywart...But the last thing he wanted to do was land Ling in even more potential trouble than she might already be in.

However, that thought soon left him as she motioned for him to be quiet after he removed his shoes. Doing so, he followed closely behind her...And as she opened the door, he was met with what was likely the scariest sight for any child to behold: The furious gaze of slighted parents. And even as Ling addressed them, the words incoherent but her body language telling more than enough, neither one moved an inch; it was all too eerie. The odds of this happening...It was so astronomically low that he found it ridiculous he was even here in the first place.

And even still, Yamichi just gulped as the father's gaze shifted to him, then back to his daughter; even if the man was fairly diminutive - standing probably around 5'4", wearing a traditional light-blue button-up long-sleeved shirt with red necktie and black slacks, his onyx locks parted neatly at the side and his amber eyes framed by small squared, meticulously clean eyeglasses - he possessed an air that he was a man of a seeming short temper. Especially when it came to his family; Yamichi couldn't help but wonder if the rumors he'd heard around the strictness of Chinese parents was anywhere remotely true.

"U-Uhm, S-sir...I..." Yamichi started to say, but the man held up a hand calmly; Yamichi, needless to say, clammed up quickly. "Ling Xiu Tsou...." he started off coolly...Almost too coolly, carrying the tone that weighed on crushing disappointment. "To say you are in trouble, young lady, is the very least of your concerns. Your mother and I were very clear on where we stood with you and this 'Dueling' nonsense." His gaze then returned to Yamichi, "And above all else, you bring a stranger into our home. Without informing us. Or even letting us know that you are seeing someone; do you have any idea how this will make the other kids think of you? How this will affect your academics? Your secondary education choices? Your future employment prospects?"

Yamichi wasn't sure what to say here, only that he was getting a bit annoyed; wasn't the fact that their daughter won a World Title a huge accomplishment? Any other parent would lose their minds with joy, he imagined, if they managed such a prestigious honor.

"So then....Ling Xiu Tsou, do you care to explain yourself? As your parents, you owe us that much at the very least." he would then say finally; though it wasn't likely he would take her explanation very well, he figured at least she should get a chance to reveal why she went against very simple, very direct orders to abandon and leave behind such a childish and unproductive game.

Ling

Ling crossed her arms over her chest, clicking her tongue in annoyance.

"Don't talk like I've dropped out of school or anything," she mumbled bitterly.

"Your tongue, young lady. Watch it."

Beside Shen, Ling's father, was a woman that was a few inches smaller than her spouse and child. In almost any other situation, it could be easy to mistake Ling for the mother and her mom as the teenager -- were it not for the fact they looked their respective ages. Whereas her husband wore a furious - but oddly calm - expression, hers was, in a word, disappointment. Like they were still in Feudal China rather than The Tops.

"It's true though! Nor did I skip school! What will the other kids think of me?! That it was a really awesome display. And that isn't just to sound like I'm spouting nonsense. I had to tell my teachers and even the principal why I needed an extended leave ... although, given my securing a spot into the Fortune Cup was televised, it wasn't hard to inform them. Their response? They encouraged me to go."

A brief pause hovered before Ling added.

"I mean ... you saw me guarantee myself a spot in this tournament, didn't you? So why now? You never argued about the Fortune Cup - let alone getting into it - until now, when it's already ended."

" ... You know that's not true. It's as your father says. We've never been fond of this 'dueling'. Not since day one, not now."

"So ... I give up one of the few things that actually makes me happy?"

Ling scoffed, shaking her head.

"Not happening! Seriously, I haven't dropped out of school or anything. I'll resume going tomorrow. Job wise? I ... don't really see myself doing much more outside of dueling. I kinda want to become a pro."

Of course, there was a high chance she had done exactly that the moment she beat Jack Atlas. It just hadn't become official since she didn't answer any calls or voicemails that may still be on her phone. But it had otherwise occurred.

"Don't avoid your father's questions."

"I'm not. I was getting there .... though most of the answers have been given. Why'd I enter? Because I wanted to. And as I advanced further ... "

Ling's hands rose beside her hips, only to fall atop them.

"By the time I got to facing Jack, it would have looked stupid to back out. Besides, who gets that sort of chance?"

Xue shook her head.

"Fine. I'll reword that for your father. Why didn't you tell us this sooner?"

It took Ling every ounce of will power not to face palm in front of her parents.

"Why?" she repeated. "Listen to yourselves! Would you have approved even if I asked for consent?! It doesn't help I almost always end up playing phone tag with you guys. I've tried to call you about a lot. Previous boyfriends, things I want to do that aren't ... I guess what you expect of me. I never get in touch with either of you, and by the time the messages are received? It's too late. Just like now. In fact, check your phones. You both should have quite a few messages."

Xue rose an eyebrow, heeding her daughter's words. She turned it so Shen could see that at least with that part, she had been honest. Granted, lying was never an issue with Ling - something they'd made damn well sure of. But it was a bit odd the messages had been so delayed. Likely due to being in an area with bad reception till now.

"And he is?" Xue finally added after a few moments of silence. The shift in topics seemed to imply she would leave the end verdict on Ling going out and dueling to Shen. But it was safe for everyone in the house to assume that discussion was far from over.

"Yamichi Hizumara. We're ... going out."

"Ling! Jì zhù nǐ de jǔzhǐ! (Remember your manners!)" Shen barked as she retorted about never being able to contact them; needless to say, even with the proof, the tone she was taking did not sit well with him. And while he would never dream of striking his child - a barbaric practice that his own parents never shied away from - she would see a vein twitching in his forehead. A duelist....She would give up her education, everything they had done for her? Just to play a card game?

Yamichi couldn't help but move his eyes back and forth as each took their turn trying to convince the other that they were in the right. And he was seeing that this was a stalemate; Ling wouldn't back down from her dreams, that wasn't her style. But it was clear her parents were not thrilled with her declaration of choice.

Taking a small breath, Shen looked back from the phone and just said "Ling...You have to understand that we want what's best for you. And you're such a bright young woman, you could be anything you want. A doctor, a programmer...But It's hard to see you throw that away for some silly card game. How can you even be sure you will be Champion long enough to make a living off of it?"

Now that was a low blow, prompting Yamichi to speak up, "Because she's a fantastic Duelist, that's why! Anyone would be hard-pressed to beat her one on one! She won against Jack Atlas, and that guy held his title for almost three years! If it's money you're worried about, she'll do more than well enough for herself!"

Shen raised an eyebrow, giving the young man what was obviously a very disapproving look. "So...You date my daughter." His chin came down to rest on his overlapped hands, supporting his head as he looked over the blonde haired tech. "Yamichi Hizumara...Sounds Japanese. Am I wrong?" Now Yamichi's turn was to be the surprised one, replying with a nervous swallow "No..." A snort of derision blew from Shen's nostrils, the sour look on his face intensifying.

"I see...And what exactly do you do, young man? For employment?" Shen then asked, Yamichi looking down to the ground for a few moments before replying, "I don't...really have an official job. I do some freelance computer work...But that's about it." Shen scowled, then asked, "You don't seem like a Topsider. Most kids accomplished by your age...Have decent job working with parents." Yamichi swallowed a little bit, stating as his fists clenched, "I...I don't have any family. I've been an orphan more most of my life."

This certainly didn't seem to bolster Shen's confidence, his questions continuing, "So...An orphaned Japanese boy with no means of income is dating my daughter." Yamichi then spoke up, "I...I did win a Selection Tournament, sir; I have a decent amount saved away." Shen seemed unimpressed, "And what if those savings run out? What will you do then?" And when Yamichi failed to answer, Shen snorted again and replied, "As I expected..."

And with that, he then turned his attention back to his daughter, "Ling Xiu Tsou, you are grounded for a month. No Dueling, you will go to school, do your extracurriculars and come straight home; your mother or myself will see to it if we have to drive you there ourselves. Your mother and I will confiscate all your cards, as well as lock down that ridiculous Wheeler - which we will discuss more after your friend leaves." Yamichi wanted to say more, but he felt that he would only get Ling in more trouble if he went too overboard.

Even so...This was so unfair! She'd just accomplished something hundreds of people have been trying for years to do! And her parents were going to just ground her?!

"And as for you, young man!" Shen then said authoritatively, the elderly male stating "You are forbidden from seeing our daughter again. If I see you near her, make no mistake: I will get Security involved." Now Yamichi couldn't be quiet, "On what grounds?! Because I don't have a job?! Or because of my nationality?" Shen was quiet for a moment, that stern expression unwavering as he then replied, "Neither; I'm merely looking out for Ling's best interests. And the fact that you are brazen enough to kiss my daughter and humiliate her on live national television shows me enough of your true colors. Your actions up to this point all say one thing: You are from the Satellite. You are not fit to date Ling...That is all there is to it. You will only drag her down in her path to success." Pushing up his glasses, he then added, "Perhaps it was you that got her to be so brazen and go against us...Nothing I would expect more."

Yamichi seemed absolutely stunned, his teeth set in a hard grimace as he tried (and barely succeeded) to stop himself from crying. "Now then...You may go, Yamichi Hizumara. Ling, her mother and I have a lot to talk about."

"Uggggh! I did not say I'd give my schooling up! Nor my future! I just right now, at this very moment, it feels more and more like dueling is the best path in my life to take. But ... "

Her hands rose, only to fall back down in frustration.

"Gods sakes, I still have time to figure this out! I'm not even a junior in high school, nor a sophomore ... "

"Ling. That's exactly why your father and I are worried. Time doesn't wait for anyone."

"I know --- "

"So act like it!"

Ling sighed again, crossing her arms over her chest. "You're both acting like I killed someone or did something much worse than partake in a card tournament."

There was another pause. And for a few seconds, it looked like finally, finally she had gotten at least one point across. But then .... her mom shook her head. "Actually ... you kinda did. Thankfully, not with something dire like murder, no. But you stupidly called Goodwin out. You know how much trouble that could have gotten you into? Do you know how lucky you were? I want you to apologize to him. Face to face. That will be on your to-do list in the near future."

Another moment of silence, this time with Ling gawking at her mom in disbelief. Her head shook as she chuckled lowly.

"Nope. Definitely not gonna happen. I did that for a damn good reason! He deserved everything I said!"

Her fists clenched tightly as she stared adamantly at her parents.

"The man's been a poison to The Tops for years now! It just hasn't been as obvious as it has recently!"

" .... You were never like this. Not until he came into your life."

"That's not his fault," Ling muttered. "Even if I hadn't met Yamichi, I would have done the same during the tournament."

The talking then shifted to Yamichi, making Ling narrow her eyes. "That's hardly fair. Jack's an orphan - and now no longer holding a title. You're being stupid with these judgments."

"And you're not listening. We've warned you about your tongue, young lady. Besides, it's just as you both said. He recently lost his title. At least before then, he kept it. He did something and he proved he earned it. So at least he's a competent orphan."

"And yet you won't me partake in the same activity Jack's in? That's fucking rich."

... It hadn't been intentional. But Ling was so furious that the curse had slipped anyway. And for a few seconds, it likely did look as if Xue may actually slap Ling. Instead, she pulled her into a tight hug. "My sweet girl. What's he done to you?"

"Nothing!" she protested, jerking away. "Okay, okay. That was an accident, but seriously. You two really are being dumb about this whole situation --- " Though it appeared very immature, she stomped the floor in frustration as her dad gave his verdict. But oddly ... it wasn't the grounding she was arguing about. Almost like she could have handled that well enough ... which was mostly true.

"Stop. Sounding. Like. I'm. Skipping. School. On. PURPOSE! Please! I said I was resume going tomorrow!"

Everything else Shen listed, however, were things Ling clearly wouldn't put up with.

"Nu-uh! Those are mine! I used my allowance on all of those! You're not taking what I've paid for and taken care of! I even acquired the license and everything on my own!" Her eyes rolled as she added. "And that kiss? At worst, it took me aback. But it didn't humiliate or degrade me! The only things doing that right now are you two and your attitude!"

"Our attitude?" Xue repeated incredulously.

Before she could get an answer from Ling, her daughter ran off, turning her back on her parents in the process. After she stopped in front of a door - the one to her room in fact - it all but slammed, followed by a quick click.

"She's never had that type of temper before. I don't care what she says. This is your fault somehow. You're no good for our daughter, and that display proves it. Get out, Satellite trash."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​
Eventually, the day would be replaced with night. A bit of moonlight hinted a figure standing mere feet away from Arcadia's base.

It had taken a while - a very long one at that.

But finally ... Carly had realized that even if she didn't like agreeing with the others, they were all right. She was stuck like this, and needed to accept that fact. She needed to help the few people who were genuinely trying to help her out by doing what was asked of her. Playing her role, so to speak. This included the voice in her head which constantly nagged her and insisted she needed to 'grow a backbone'.

All the same, the understanding of asking for a second chance translating into an unholy revival of sorts had been painfully clear. More so after she tried undoing her second life ... failing each time the entity within her kept her from succeeding in taking her life.

If one can even call it that anymore ... she somewhat bitterly thought, staring furiously at the building.

But it wasn't simply Arcadia she was pissed at. It was the man who shoved her out the window.

Her eyes tried to peek through the glass - and hell, who knew? Maybe Divine was actually in his office right then and there? In all honesty, Carly wouldn't mind. The better wording, really, was she hoped he was there. It would make everything she was about to do all the more sweeter. Divine could watch his precious empire crumble.

And .... get his own share of Karma in the process.

The thought of being able to get back at him caused an unorthodox smirk to spread over Carly's lips. No more waiting. Time to get this going, she decided.

Slowly, she closed her blue-grey eyes, focusing on the power within her. For the first time since her resurrection, Aslla Piscu would feel Carly calling him. Allowing him to manifest, permitting the power to flow through her.

And perhaps because it was the first time she accepted this, the surge of her supernatural abilities was violent. It was very akin to a vortex or a hurricane as a massive gust of wind began to form around her.

"Dào zhèr lái! (Come back here!) This discussion is not over, young lady!" Shen shouted as Ling stormed off, standing up to go chase after his daughter. He would be too late, having locked herself in her. His fist then proceeded to pound on the heavy slab, his voice raised as he again shouted "Dǎkāi zhè shàn mén! Huòzhě nǐ huì yù dào máfan! (Open this door! Or you'll have trouble!)"

Yamichi's eyes started to prick with tears as the mother then laid into him, blaming him solely for how Ling was acting out; as much as he wanted to shout back, to yell at them for berating their daughter and potentially shattering her self-esteem...It wasn't his place. He felt like shit for having to leave Ling...But what could he do? He could tell the father was dead serious about calling the police. He didn't have much exposure to the Topsiders until recently...But he was getting a fairly good dose of the xenophobia and bigotry first-hand; to call it a bitter pill to swallow was being too polite.

Wiping the back of his arm across his eyes, the tech just nodded and asked, his voice barely having that wavering of sadness, "Alright...I'm going. But your daughter let me park my own Wheeler in your garage; can I ask you to open it to let me get it out?" Xue seemed rather stern...But curtly nodded and after a few more moments, Yamichi was gunning away from the Tsou household. Finally letting the tears fall, realizing that so long as her parents had control...He would never get to see her again.

And that sucked...Like nothing else could have sucked before. His stomach felt like it was made of lead, and his heart pained him awful, like it was ready to just rip itself out. To think he'd found someone again...and Fate ripped her away again. He imagined Shivini wasn't waiting around after her date with Finlay; thankfully, he'd rigged the Runners with radios to connect to an encrypted channel that linked with the Facility. Some of Syd and Kohei's guys helped with the electronics, leaving him with the coding and receiver tuning.

He would arrive at the secret spot, having called back to the Facility to get a ride; this time it was Judai who picked him up. "Hey...Yamichi, everything alright?" the brunette asked, seeing the crestfallen expression Yamichi wore. Yamichi shook his head, "No...But I don't really want to talk about it..." Judai was about ready to argue, but seeing the despondence made him think this wasn't the best time; evening was setting in, and it wouldn't do them good to get caught.

Moments later, the pair was back to the Satellite...To where he could be as the mother referred to him, "Satellite trash". Yamichi sat on the stern seat, looking back to the shining metropolis that had been his home these past few weeks. "Ling....I don't know how, but I promise...I'm not going to stop loving you. I'll find a way back, this I promise." the tech mused to himself, wiping away a fresh set of tears.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It had taken some time, but the secondary location was settling in quite nicely; it wasn't as grand as their old tower, but it was still impressive. And still had plenty of room to get the facilities they'd had up and running, as well as house their members. Thanks to Hotsuma and Yuna's efforts, they had more than their fair share of new and quite strong recruits; he was sitting on a goldmine this whole time. The people from the Satellite, while not having the same level of development as Hotsuma or Yuna, showed remarkably faster development of their powers than Psychics raised in the Tops.

Perhaps conflict made them stronger? No...It wasn't just that. He was so close to finding out the answer too....

The final headcount showed that everyone was accounted, being told as such by his new number two; while a competent man, he wished he had some of Aki's flair. The woman had a knack for subtly spicing up her performances, making it more interesting to watch her work.

But...Beggars can't be choosers as they say, and the man was good at his job. "Thank you...You're dismissed" Divine replied to the robed individual, the man bowing and leaving his master's company. "Hmmm, perhaps she just needs some more time. Even so, it would be quite nice to have her back. Guess that was my mistake as well...Letting you go. Ah well, lesson learned." he smiled to himself, resting a hand on his palm as he sat at the giant mahogany desk of his office; there was nothing that could be done except move on.

However, he felt an odd sensation that pulled him his thoughts; he paid it no mind at first, but then it got heavy. Like the air itself was suddenly water or dirt; it was hard to move almost, but then the sensation passed. His eyes then widened in realization, muttering "This energy...No, it can't be!" He stormed over to the window, looking down to see a very familiar figure. A loud CRASH echoed through the bottom floors as he witnessed a car hurtling through one of the windows, the wind starting to make the building shake as it grew to easily surpass hurricane force.

And if Carly were to look...She would see Divine staring down at her. Immediately he ran back to his desk and picked up an announcer, "Everybody out! Senior members, get as many out as you can! No questions, just do it!" However....Another small explosion could be heard and he felt himself thrown back against the wall as the powerful torrent of air shattered his office window. His head smacked back against the wall, his Teleport card almost flying out of his grasp before he finally managed to escape....Leaving Carly to completely demolish the new headquarters he'd basically just set up for him and his group, however she might see fit.

And as Carly would use his power, the voice of her God echoed in her mind, "Good...Very good. Let the winds of hell rip through this false shrine to their ego. Let the speed of the Hummingbird carry them into the afterlife on Death's cursed wings! Sing the song of victory, and forever etch your triumph into this world's history, Carly Nagisa!"

And when she might finish with her work, Aslla then spoke once more, "Now...You have used my power for your purpose. Empowering, was it not? And just think...All those people that trampled you in your past life. Overlooked you, forgotten you. You are stronger than any of them now...And the Signers would see to it that you do not get a chance to live life again. Now my vassal...The horn of the end has been sounded. You must go forth...Fate calls to you, to answer its cry. Go now, and destroy the Signers!"

"Zǒu kāi!"

Ling hadn't yet plopped on her bed, though that would be the next step. Before that, she was taking steps. While she wasn't typically a rebel, Ling was protective when the right triggers were pushed. Hearing her father wanted to take what was hers? What she'd bought and purchased?

Unacceptable.

The Wheeler being locked down was .... annoying. But, for now, tolerable. She didn't envision herself riding on it anytime soon. Her cards though? No. She refused to let anyone touch those. At least anyone she didn't want to lay hands on them. Admittedly, she had wondered about slipping her deck into Yamichi's pocket in hopes he could leave and keep those safe.

But ... that wouldn't be fair. He was already getting his own lashing - something she could barely hear from her own room. It was good she ended up opting not to go through with that plan.

So, Shen would be able to hear his daughter moving very quickly around. Something occasionally opening would join in, though never a window. So at least he wouldn't have to worry about her running away.

"Qǐng bié dǎrǎo wǒ.... "

A low whimper accompanied that set of words. Were it not for the fact Yamichi had been here, it could have sounded like she was suffering way worse than simply being grounded.

There weren't many places her parents wouldn't look. But finally ... she found one that at least could work for a day, if not a few. Enough to ensure her father wouldn't be able to immediately take her dragons away from her. It wouldn't be until after she felt confident they were safe that she plopped onto her bed.

Although Ling still didn't outright sneak out of her window, she did move up to it. And managed to see Yamichi from her room. She'd give him a small, sad wave ... though whether he actually saw that or not was anyone's guess.

I hope you don't intend on giving up. Because I'm not gonna ....

As her lover vanished out of sight, Ling sighed, finally laying down. Her eyes rolled as she continued hearing her father's demands. "Yes, because I'm not already in trouble," she bitterly muttered, reaching over to the mantle beside her and drowning her dad out in the fastest and best way that came to Ling's head; with music blaring in her ears via an MP3 player.

She was done talking and having a fit. If she was grounded, so be it. But she wouldn't be forced in a state and die of boredom.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Carly would simply stare up at Divine as their gaze met. While he likely had a confused or irritated look - if not some combination of both - a sadistic smirk adorned her features. She even waved ... as if she were meeting an old acquaintance rather than destroying said friend's own building.

The winds would tear through the building, occasionally send debris in various forms through the numerous windows.

Whether anyone died from this wreck or not? Well ... that was honestly a bonus. Right now, Carly was on a makeshift 'search and destroy' type of mission. Just replace 'search' with 'arrive' and voila. That better fitted what she was aiming to do then and there.

Crash after crash echoed loudly throughout the Tops. As the last one ceased, her head lifted to see Arcadia barely standing. The amount of how much was still standing versus not was greater in the latter. Suffice to say, she was more than satisfied with the outcome.

It was definitely satisfying~ Pompous bastard! It'll be rewarding when I can find him one on one.

Given Divine had his own powers, it was fair enough to assume he'd ran away like the coward he probably was. But that was fine. This wasn't part of her mission tonight anyway. If she had to wait to kill him, so be it.

It's only somewhat of a shame Atlas ended up being a Signer. I have nothing personal against him. But ...

Carly shrugged, seeming to be done with caring or second guessing the Dark Signer's agenda.

Indeed, work calls. Before rushing off, though, he requires a plan. He may not be King anymore, but I imagine security is still rather tight around him all the same. Trying to just get to him without any train of thought would be suicide.

So, she at least partially heeded her God's advice. But compared to the past week or two? It was certainly a better start than when Aslla first revived Carly.

The next few days had been busy for Fayth and Jack.

Apparently, even before the Fortune Cup had started up, he had been in the midst of getting a movie made. Now, it was finished and ready to be aired soon. With the premiere of Atlas Rising came work. And one task that had been given to Fayth was to personally deliver Ling's invitation.

You should have kept quiet earlier .... she inwardly scolded.

The moment Fayth had asked where Ling even lived resulted in Jack offering to help her out. She'd tried. God help Fayth, she had tried to insist she'd be fine doing this alone. Unfortunately, Jack was as stubborn as Fuyu ... maybe a bit worse. So, he was accompanying her to do what seemed like an easy enough task.

Not that she didn't enjoy his company. It was the very opposite, if anything.

However, she was still residing in his place, eating with him ... it just felt like she was still being a bit of a burden. This would have been the perfect chance to prove she wasn't that ... even though the only person viewing Fayth as such was herself. At least that was what Jack and even Mister Evans assured her time and time again.

With her having gotten out of a shower about half an hour and finally choosing a casual outfit to go out in, she was ready to go.

All it would take was for Fayth to exit her room and walk down the hall, stopping after she felt four doors brush along her fingertips before knocking.

"You ready, Jack?" she called out.

Akiza had been toying over the past couple of days with the idea of going back to Arcadia; was Divine really going to let her though? As if nothing ever happened?

No, that was beyond doubtful. She had the feeling he was hoping Hotsuma and/or Yuna would finish her off; one thing the woman had come to expect was that the man rarely got his own hands dirty. And thinking back...She'd committed a number of heinous atrocities, the worst of which were relatively recent. Even so...She had nowhere else she belonged; ever since her parents drove her away, she was an outcast. Even people at Queen's Academy were afraid to go near her.

And that was an aggravatingly blatant paradox: Arcadia had been the only place she was accepted. The only place where she felt like she could finally let her mask fall, be herself...Or rather the self she was led to believe she was. Something Yuna - and to a far lesser extent Hotsuma - had helped her realize might not have been entirely true.

However...A dark disturbance ran through the air, a muted whimper leaving her as a surge of agony ran through her; it wasn't this damned Mark, though. It was something different...Something vicious. She knew of Divine's back-up location, and hurriedly grabbing her Teleport card she used it. Her form vanishing into the Aether.

And when she arrived, her amber hues widened in shock and horror: The building was annihilated, the area around it cloaked in a vast and heavy dark energy. It was as if some kind of demon had come through here.

She'd accustomed herself to the Emperor's and Rose's respective signatures; this was something different. Something more crushing than the latter, and more violent than the former. Whatever it was...It was gone. "Divine-sama!" she whispered in a panicked tone, before closing her eyes and reaching out with her energy. She couldn't sense him...But she could sense that several underlings were trapped beneath the rubble. All of them dead or wishing they were; the sounds of sirens soon broke her focus, realizing that it would look very bad if she was caught here.

"I'll find who did this...." Aki then muttered, resolution coloring her tone as she held her card against her breast. A flash of light accompanying her exit, leaving the emergency response teams to their work.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Because of that attack, the premiere was delayed by a day or two. Needless to say it had caused quite a stir; no one really knew what that building was for, as it had been long abandoned. But was even stranger that there were a number of bodies which were purportedly found, but the city came back from its panic relatively quickly when the Director spoke at a press conference to help everyone understand that there was no imminent threat.

Which, despite it being a lie, was just fine by Atlas because he still needed such a timespan to make sure everything was in order. And when the producer arrived at the house to inform them that he would like Fayth to invite Ling personally, Jack felt compelled to help her. There was no real argument, but it was the closest thing they had to one since they got on friendlier terms with each other.

It wasn't that he thought her incapable; it was just thought however Neo Domino City was in the Pendulum Dimension, it wasn't likely the exact same layout as here. He rationalized that even with GPS, he wanted to make sure she didn't accidentally take a wrong turn somewhere and get potentially lost.

He had just finished dressing when he heard the knock on his door, his voice replying "Ready". She would hear his feet padding across the floor before he opened his bedroom door. "Hopefully she accepts...And that she doesn't think I'm doing this to rub my former title in her face or anything." Jack commented offhandedly; in truth, he wasn't sure how she felt about him in particular. Did she still think him the arrogant King? Or just another Duelist?

Well...They'd find out soon enough. Moments later, Fayth would find herself on the back of Jack's Runner before taking off, a small entourage of private security following close behind. It wasn't long before they would arrive at the Tsou household. "I'll be right here if you need me." Jack would then say to Fayth.

Last edited:

"She doesn't come off as someone too judgmental. Not without a good reason, anyway."

But ... yeah. They'd find out soon enough.

The entire ride to Ling's place, Fayth tried to conjure a script that could be used. She only partially understood why she was doing this instead of Jack. At the same time, though, she kinda wished he was doing this. Wouldn't it make more sense? Well, that was why she was trying to come up with lines; to focus and not look like an idiot. Or, if absolutely nothing else, avoid sounding like one. She'd already look weird enough as it was - assuming Ling had parents.

"Thank you," she'd reply softly as they arrived at their destination.

And, of course, right after Fayth knocked, a good chunk of everything she'd mentally figured out disappeared.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, umm ....

"You are?" she heard in front of her.

Fayth had to fight the urge to raise an eyebrow; not only was the voice in front of her, but ... down? Was this person actually shorter or something this meant? Her mouth started to open, only to get interrupted.

"Wait a moment! You're that blind girl from the Fortune Cup aren't you?!"

... Well, aren't we off to a lovely start? Fayth internally mused, fighting off the urge to scoff or let an expression of disdain immediately appear on her face. Instead, she nodded politely.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm Fayth Milner, and I --- "

"Fayth? I thought the announcer said Celeste Belrose."

.... Goddamnit. As if forgetting the script she came up with hadn't been bad enough. She was so used to not needing an alias that only when Xue pointed out her mistake did Fayth barely hide a groan.

"It umm ... that's another story for another time if you don't mind. I promise, it was for a perfectly legal reason and all. Anyway, is Ling around? I wanted to give this to her personally."

Xue practically jerked the invitation out of her hand as Fayth stretched it out. Xue would shake her head quickly and put it back in between Fayth's fingers.

"She's grounded. Can't come."

" .... Grounded?" Fayth repeated. "Look, ma'am, is there any way I could actually come in and talk about this? It's kinda awkward being out in the open."

"No room for negotiation. Me and my spouse agreed and told her a few days ago after she came back with that Satellite trash she's grounded. Damn brat. He ruined our daughter! And you're not much different than that boy was."

"Excuse me?"

"You have a lot of things I'm not liking. And I don't just mean your handicap. That odd mark ... "

A slim fingernail ran over Fayth's criminal mark.

"The fact you redirected the talk, hearing you used a fake name, there's just ... too much about you I don't like. For all I know, you're part of why Ling acted up also!"

"H-Hold on, there's clearly a misunderstanding here --- "

"Leave!"

If ever there was a cue that signaled 'Help me, please!', there it was.

Jack just watched on as Fayth went to the door; he would have gladly done this in her stead, but for some reason the producer felt like her last opponent would be a 'more symbolic' gesture. Or maybe they thought that it was still beneath him...Or perhaps, more likely, they figured he might be bitter about her taking his title.

Regardless, he continued to observe as a woman answered the door...And immediately started laying into Fayth. Though he did cringe when she slipped up and used her real name; probably not something one should do when meeting another's folks. Especially if you yourself have never met them.

He did raise a brow when the elder woman mentioned Ling was grounded; sure, yelling at Goodwin probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but she didn't seem like that bad of a girl. He did't think long on who she might have been referring to as the 'Satellite trash', immediately pegging this woman - and likely her husband - as typical xenophobes. His body language did tense as she equated Fayth with the same as whoever she referred to; now that was fucking low.

And when the woman shouted at her to leave, Jack took that as his sign to intervene. "Ma'am..." he would then say curtly, his tone rather cold but not-threatening. "I take you at least know who I am, correct?"

"Xue? Who are you...."

A fourth voice would then enter the mix, Shen coming to see what was going on outside. His eyes widened as he saw the very man that his daughter had defeated now standing at their front door, but soon settled back into a serious expression. "Jack Atlas...To what do we owe this pleasure?" Shen asked shortly, Jack replying "I happened to overhear your wife talking to my friend here; I was about to inform her that I planned on inviting your daughter to attend the premiere of Atlas Rising. As a show of good faith and courtesy to the new Queen of Games."

Shen pushed up his glasses with one hand and stated abruptly, "There will be no new 'Queen of Games'; she will just be Ling Xiu Tsou. Freshman student of Neo Domino City High School. Her reputation and ours have already been shamed enough. Now...I apologize that you had to waste your time coming here." Jack seemed unperturbed, asking "You speak of her reputation...But don't you see that you're going to hurt it more by denying her the chance to attend?"

Shen raised a brow, "Explain..." At this Jack pointed behind him, "There are reporters hiding out of our line of sight. They have specialized microphones that can pick up conversations from hundreds of feet away. In fact, they're likely recording everything we just said right now." Ling's father seemed more than a little shaken by this, "W-hat are you saying? Get out of here!" The last sentence punctuated by him pointing his finger over Jack's shoulder, his expression positively furious.

Of course...Unknown to any of them, Angela Raines was indeed doing as Atlas described, taking pictures and recording audio for the Daily Duel. "Heh...Atlas, you make this far too easy, love. And you have the resident sightless angel with you....How very interesting to learn that her real name is Fayth." she mused to herself, brushing back a stray lock of blond hair as she continued to listen in on them.

At this Jack just heaved a sigh and crossed his arms, "I'm saying that reporters are often quick on the trigger; you've seen some of the headlines and press reports, yes? Many of them are curious as to why Ling has been so silent since winning the tournament. If it gets out that her parents are holding her back....Things could look very badly for you." At this Shen's brow twitched, "Are you blackmailing me?! You have some nerve, you brat!" Jack snorted derisively, "You're not worth my energy to blackmail; ultimately the choice will be yours...But if I can, I would like to come in. Help you see why refusing to let your daughter attend could be very bad for her...And your family."

Shen now was even more furious; even so, he was starting to see what Atlas was saying. Despite his own attitudes toward the game itself...It was heavily ingrained in today's youth as a social status symbol. "Very well...Xue, please make our guests some tea. Mr. Atlas, young lady....Please come in." At this Jack took off his shoes at the doorway, saying to his guard detail, "You know what to do" the black-clothed individuals nodding and taking up a perimeter.

And when they went inside, Angela just said, "Well...Regardless of whether she's allowed or not, I've got more than my fair set of pieces to use. Shame Carly hasn't shown up to work; not that it mattered." Patting the portable audio recorder on her hip, the woman finished with "She was horrible at getting real interviews in the first place...Perhaps she can go report for some nature magazine or something." And that was all she said before she would make her way to a concealed scooter, starting it up and taking off to get her newest pieces printed for the evening edition.

"Ling Xiu Tsou! Come down here! You have a visitor!" Shen barked, motioning to have his guests sit on the sofa. Jack looked around after taking his seat, "You have a wonderful home...thank you for the hospitality." Shen just nodded, "Well...I suppose I should at least give you a fair chance. I will give you one opportunity to convince me why Ling should attend...But I'll have you know, I am a strategy consultant for one of the largest energy core firms this side of the country. It is my job, in part, to help navigate negotiation meetings...That being said, go on."

Jack sat up straighter, "It's actually quite simple; the movie depicts my rise to where I was. How I started out, how I dueled the best to become the best there ever was. Many of the largest stars in entertainment will be attending, as well as company executives. I don't have a guest list, but I wouldn't be too surprised if your company Vice-President or even President was among the attendees. If you truly watched the Duel, you saw how the crowd reacted; do you really want to give them that much more ammunition to use against her? Even if it wouldn't affect her professional life much...Just think of how it could damage her social life."

"You deaf also?! I said leave!"

"Ma'am .... "

Fayth paused, trying to choose her next words very, very carefully. "Is there anything - aside from leaving - that I could do or say to change your mind and get you to hear me fully out?"

"No! You already showed me the invitation! Now, scram!"

Fayth narrowed her eyebrows, not overly liking this woman. Certainly not the way she was suddenly deciding to speak to her.

Scram? Fuck you, I'm not a goddamn stray ...

Each second that ticked away only further tempted Fayth to give up on playing the civil card. It wasn't doing her any good, after all. And hell, Jack couldn't say she didn't try. So why should it matter? Particularly when it was feeling as if he'd left her to deal with Xue alone. Thankfully, that theory got quickly debunked as Fayth heard his voice, eliciting her own gentle sigh of relief.

"O-Oh. Jack Atlas. Of course I know you ... "

Xue went from looking between one blonde to the other, her gaze stopping at Fayth.

"I didn't realize she was your errand girl as well as a duelist."

... How can such an amazing girl have god-awful parents?

The contrast was just ... holy fuck. Screw the usual night and day analogy, that didn't even begin to do justice when it came down to how incredibly different Ling was from her mother. And her father too, as he arrived - hinted by his voice. For the time being, however, her father seemed to be the tamer of the two. Only time would give away their real colors, though.

Xue looked about ready to argue the two being let in ... but closed her mouth and merely nodded politely, turning and heading to the kitchen to make tea.

"Thank you, sir," Fayth replied, slipping out of her own shoes and placing them neatly beside Jack's before following carefully behind. With this meeting being primarily a business one, she'd keep quiet unless spoken to. Jack knew the details far better than herself, anyway.

Ling, meanwhile, sat up with a bit of a start. Her earbuds were in place; but now less out of spite and more to help her focus on her homework. The moment she heard her father call her, though, she pulled the buds out and tilted her head. Had she really heard correctly? Someone ... was here? For her?

As amazing as it would to hope for Yamichi, she was doubtful. Very much so.

Of course, it hadn't stopped her from thinking or wondering about the tech the past few days. Hopefully he hadn't ceased either.

Her head shook as she forced her thoughts to remain on the here and now.

"Coming!" she called, taking a few moments to double check the math she'd finished up before walking down the halls and entering the living room. While she'd been right in assuming it was definitely not Yamichi, Fayth and Jack worked just as well.

"Fayth! Hey!"

Fayth grinned, turning but staying seated as Ling ran over and hugged the same woman she'd dueled mere days ago to face the former King. Her hand covered her mouth as she realized her mistake.

"It's fine," Fayth reassured, "I already slipped up on that behalf. But honestly? It was getting tiring using an alias. Better to do it on my own terms anyway."

"Heh .... okay. I feel a bit better. So umm .... this is about what now?"

"Something your father and I are still not sure about agreeing to. Some invitation or whatnot."

Xue walked out, carrying a tray with five cups of tea already filled. She'd place it in the middle of the table before taking her own cup. Though not before allowing Jack and Shen to get theirs first.

Fayth would bow her head politely, taking her cup in one hand while using her left to set the invitation down to look at himself.

Jack could already tell this was going to be a headache; it was likely he was dealing with very traditional parents. Ones who did not either fully understand or wish to accept how the world around them had changed. That wasn't to say they were wrong; he personally believed parents - so long as the kids didn't suffer lasting physical or emotional trauma - should discipline their children as they saw fit.

Did Ling mess up during her duel? Yes, but the crowds were not helping. Even so...Now he was kind of wishing that she had taken the hint he was giving her during that final match. To let him talk. But the past was done, and he could only do what he could do to amend and repair the damage. He knew he was unlikely going to budge them on the issue of attending the premiere, but he felt he owed it to her to at least try.

Jack pushed the invitation towards Shen after Ling would join them, "I'm extending a personal invite to the premiere of Atlas Rising, Ling. Please don't think of it as trying to rub my former fame in your face or anything like that. It's more an invitation to semi-officially induct you into the ranks of the Dueling Elite." Shen picked up the letter and read it, eyes glossing through the text. If there ever was a man with a face of stone, Shen Tsou was that man. Not one muscle moved as he read the document, before long setting it back down so that Ling might look at it if she so wanted.

The letter itself wasn't long...But its implication was quite strong:
On behalf of Domino Central Studios, at the behest of Dueling Champion Jack Atlas, we would like to extend a courtesy invitation to the premiere of our greatest achievement: Atlas Rising. Many famous celebrities will be there, and it will be a great chance to know other top Duelists and celebrities as you navigate your way through your new-found fame.

And because this is such a momentous occasion, we would also like to grant you the opportunity to bring one guest of your choosing. Please let myself or any colleagues know of your decision, so that we may do everything we can to accommodate yourself and whoever you might decide to bring with you.

Best regards and welcome to the Elite!

-DCS Production Manager, Takahiro Akikaze

Jack kept a straight face as he continued, "I was explaining to your father about how you not being able to attend might incense the dissenters." Shen scoffed, "She has gained enough of the dissenters' dislike for ten lifetimes. You were there during her Duel, yes? It is proof that she cannot handle the stress. As her father, I am only doing what is best for her: If she stays out of the spotlight, the attention will eventually vanish." Jack's gaze then focused even harder on Shen, "You think your daughter has it bad now? As I said, if it gets out that her parents are stopping her from doing what the Duel King is meant to do...You'll not just attract the dissenters, but her fans as well. She won over a lot of people when she defeated me...Even you, Mister Tsou, have to realize the gravity of your daughter's accomplishment."

Ling would read along with her father, smiling at the contents. Her head shook as Jack reassured her this wasn't an attempt to rub salt in any old and possibly lingering wounds.

"No, no. Not at all. That's not what this seems like to me."

That would be as far as she got before her father spoke up. Her head shook and, even if it wasn't wise, she chuckled.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up. I couldn't handle the stress, you say? Well ... that's only partly true. I guess there were some portions I didn't handle too well. Still .... "

She pointed between herself and Jack.

"How'd I overcome all of the obstacles? How'd I earn my spot to not only get to Jack, but just to the Fortune Cup, period? Do you even know the effort it took, considering I had to go into a second selection tournament to earn my place?"

Ling crossed her arms over her chest, looking seriously between her parents.

"You know, you've both gone on and on about how 'pointless' this game is. But have you ever stopped to realize it's got its own education within it? Ratios, proportions, and percentages for example. Even if only on a subconscious level, I used all of those when I re-formatted my deck. And I must have done something right, because it's been working much better. But no ... just criticism after criticism. You never look on the bright side with anything."

"Ling ... okay. Fine. Let's assume you're right about math being used. Is that really something you can use for the rest of your life?"

Ling groaned, barely stifling the noise by covering her mouth with a hand.

"See?! You don't listen! This is what I was trying to tell you when I attempted to introduce you two to Yamichi a few days ago. I'm not saying this'll be something I'm doing forever." Her mom opened her mouth, which resulted in Ling raising her right index finger. "No! No more interrupting! You both always do and it leads to me never getting my say out! I hear you both out, so now it's my turn! Forever? Not likely, and not just because the concept of eternity doesn't exist. Losses happen. I know this. Like I said, I had to go into two selection tournaments. So no, I'm not delusional or stupid enough to think I'm immune to losing. But with that being said?"

She nodded again to Jack.

"If you really wanna try to keep me here, okay. But it won't just be the fans or even the non-believers you'll have to worry about. I could go up to my room and bring my cell back. It has well over ... ohhhh .... two dozen numbers and voicemails from various agencies trying to get a hold of me. But you've insisted I can't use that even, so ... "

Ling shrugged in response.

"I've heeded your orders. For now. But they aren't going to wait. Not forever. Maybe it hasn't clicked in your heads because neither of you have even tried playing the game - or, if you have, it's never been around me. But the moment I made Jack's life hit zero, titles transferred. Regardless of who wanted to see that or not, I acquired it. I've been the Queen of Games since then. You grounding me isn't going to cancel that out. Not now .... not ever."

While Xue and Shen contemplated on this, Ling took a moment to add.

"Oh, and for the record? You two are literally the only ones who hated me participating in the Fortune Cup. Everyone else at school has been talking to me about it practically non-stop because they loved it! A good chunk of them are jealous! So what do they think of me? Well, definitely not ashamed like you were seeming to hope or assume.

Jack, to say the very least, was intrigued by Ling's parents. He'd seen several families who were against Dueling, calling it 'poisonous' or even 'a recipe for the destruction of society'. But this was the first time he was probably seeing this wasn't just random bigotry against Dueling; Ling's parents seemed to truly care about their daughter, even if some of their logic was flawed. And perhaps they did mean well; but it was the goal of the child to find their own way in life. To live apart from their parents.

Or at least, that was what he figured; having no blood family that he could remember, only the orphanage, he just made his own life as the cards he was dealt.

Shen then said as Ling backtalked once more, "Jì zhù nǐ de jǔzhǐ. Mind your tone, young lady; regardless of pressure or not, that does not give you the right to take that kind of tongue with your mother." To be honest Ling's responses were not placing much faith in him to be able to handle the pressure of being in such a spotlight-driven position; adversity would come from many angles, and if she reacted how she did out in the field?

Regardless of what her friends in school might, Shen knew from experience that almost never panned out well.

If anything, Jack was the one making the most sense to him; he knew how harping youngsters could be. He might be a strategy negotiator, but even he could see when the champion had backed him into a corner so to speak. Placing a hand on his wife's knees, he would give her a look of 'Let's give her a chance' and said to Atlas, "Very well; but just for that night only. And I will accompany her to the premiere. That is not up for negotiation". The last bit was to make sure she didn't get some foolish notion of trying to invite her 'Satellite trash' former boyfriend.

Jack raised a brow, "Well, I'm afraid that's really up to your daughter, Mister Tsou...The letter states it's a guest of her choosing, and if I can be honest..." Shen interrupted, "No; she is lucky I have conceded to allow her to attend the premiere. Either I go with her, or she stays home." Jack then just replied, "That's not a decision I'm capable of making....Ling, what do you say about this?"

Xue glanced up curiously as her husband's hands fell atop her knees. She even blinked a few times as her own eyes caught glance of the look she was seeing. Her mouth opened to consider trying to change his mind, but stopped. He'd likely come up with a plan ... if he hadn't already. It came with his line of work after all. That thought alone helped her decide to close her mouth and simply nod in agreement.

For a few brief minutes, Ling felt her heart happily leap!

... Only to quickly sink as her dad stated his condition. "Oh come on!" she whined, "You don't even care about the game! That'd be as productive as me going to one of your work meetings! I'd get lost so easily, it wouldn't even be funny!"

"You should be more grateful, Ling. He didn't have to say yes, nor did I expect him to."

"It's true though! Dueling's likely going to be another topic frequently mentioned and .... then what? What will you say when it gets to the technical questions? Like if I anyone asked of your own personal thoughts on any element or archetype? Saying 'I don't know' or 'I don't care' wouldn't really be the best options to dictate, even if they were honest."

By now, Fayth had rose her cup at the best time. Taking a sip of tea right when Ling had uttered those words helped her from snickering out loud because ... well, Ling wasn't completely wrong. It would be embarrassing if her dad went and couldn't contribute to such an important event due to lack of knowledge. Though she'd never admit it out loud, hearing Ling talk like this was satisfying. She was still pretty irked with all the bullshit Xue had said earlier, and just as confident that even Jack could agree with at least a few of those specific lines.

"Not the point, Ling. What's your answer?"

" ... You're both too controlling. Fine. I guess not." Pivoting on her feet, she stopped after taking five steps away and turned back to her parents. "I'm not going to be sixteen forever, you know? When eighteen rolls around ... all of this control?" Ling snapped her fingers. "Gone. You won't be able to tell me who I can or can't see or anything."

Her eyes would soften as she looked to both Fayth and Jack.

"Sorry you guys took this much time and effort. But thanks for coming to begin with."

And with that, they would see Ling disappear. The door wasn't slammed like it had been a few days ago; though it also wasn't a gentle motion. Another click signified she had once again locked herself inside.

Xue sighed, clearly disappointed at the outcome. She wasn't alone in that reaction; she was just the only one visibly showing or expressing it. Fayth had been hoping to hear an affirmative answer too.

While she didn't regret agreeing to be Jack's guest ... she was still unsure of how to deal with all of the guests. This event was going to be for him more than anything or anyone else, after all. A friendly face would have been more than appreciated cope with any anxiety that would very likely end up finding her.

Goddamnit, Fayth inwardly cursed, preparing her body to stand up and get ready to exit. They'd said and done all they could, after all.

"Your mother's right; be thankful I'm even entertaining this ridiculousness." Shen remarked pointedly, adding "Whether I possess knowledge of the game or not is of little relevance; I am going as an overseer, not as a participant. Therefore, I do not need to know anything about 'Duel Monsters'."

Jack could only watch on as Ling and her parents debated whether this was the right course of action; and when Ling answered in the negative...Well, Jack would be lying if he said he wasn't expecting it. The condition of her father attending wasn't unreasonable, but he could see how a young woman like Ling wouldn't want to be chaperoned to what was easily the biggest night of her life.

"It's fine, Ling; I just figured I would offer the courtesy." Jack replied, disappointment coloring his tone. And while his face didn't show it, he did internally laugh when Ling pointed out how she would be free of her parents when she was eighteen. Watching as she would ascend the stairs to her room and close herself in, Jack knew there was nothing he could do here. Not anymore.

"Well....I suppose you have your answer...Now can you both please leave?" Shen asked, Jack nodding as he stood up, "Yes, we're done here. Come on, Fayth; we have some things to take care of." And after giving a slight bow of his head, Jack turned to leave the Tsou household.

Soon enough, the pair would arrive back at Jack's mansion; needless to say, this was a definite let-down. Perhaps not so much for Jack, as he'd been expecting shortly after arrival to be rejected. It was really unfair to Ling, but realistically this was one of the things that even his title, former as it may be, couldn't fix.

Even so, he did hope that Ling wouldn't give up on her goals; if she did want to become Duel Champion, the Title Match was more than proof enough she could deal just as much as she take, perhaps more so.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Yamichi sat in the central server room, looking at his terminal with a despondent look on his face. No one had really come to bother him; which was fine. He needed to be alone anyway; what made this worse was that this was effectively he was dumped. And Ling wasn't even the one to do it.

A fist crashed down on the desk panel next to the embedded keyboard, his eyes threatening to tear up.

"So...This is where you're hiding out. Should have figured."

Yamichi looked up to see his - now former - boss standing in the doorway. His once brilliant blues now a lethal and gleaming red, a change that was likely permanent. "Yamichi...Come on man, what's the matter? You're usually cold and distant, not despondent and crying like a woman." Hotsuma teased, Yamichi looking down at his legs and muttering "Just shut up...Go away." Hotsuma raised a brow, "Damn...Something's really got you down in the shit-pipes." Instead of backing off though, Hotsuma approached and leaned on the desk that Yamichi just punched. "Wanna talk about it?" he then asked; he still had no real idea that Yamichi was seeing someone. A fact the tech was well aware of.

Letting out a sigh, he then said, "First...Some backstory. I'm seeing someone..." At this Hotsuma whooped, "Finally, bro! I thought you were a eunuch or something!" But at this Yamichi interjected, "She's from the Tops...I met her during the tournament." This made Hotsuma shut up, his eyes wide as he tried to process. "What?" he asked, Yamichi replying "She's a girl...From the Tops. But trust me, she's not like the others!"

Hotsuma stood up straighter and walked off a little ways, asking as he ran a hand through his hair "Did you tell her..." Yamichi's eyes widened; he was hoping to not have to answer that, but it was unavoidable now. "I....didn't have to. She pieced it together after Takeshi's identity was blown...But all she knows is I'm part of Yuna's group. That's it." Hotsuma sighed; damn it all...But, did it really matter? Sector couldn't touch them as it was.

"Can't say I'm happy about it...But if you like her, then go get her, tiger." Hotsuma finally said flatly; needless to say, the tech was more than a little surprised. Did...Did Hotsuma just say alright? Before he could clarify though, he felt his phone buzz and pulled it out to see a message from Ling.

"Hey Yamichi-san! You'll never guess what happened! Jack and Fayth stopped by! I got invited to see Atlas Rising and they said I could bring a +1! Naturally thought of you...But of course, mom and dad didn't like that I went behind their backs to get everything I needed to compete. Grounded for a month, and Dad says I can't go unless he goes with me...But I'm feeling rebellious. If you're feeling like being a bit of a bad boy, I'll text you the name of my school and you can pick me up, then we'll go together! You'll have to bring your Runner though; parents put mine on lockdown.

Anyway, let me know okay? I would really love to see you!

Kisses! <3
Ling

Yamichi paused, reading through the text a couple of times to make sure he wasn't misunderstanding; was she....Was she really asking him to break her parent's rules? "Oh-ho, little nerd is a player! Look at that!" Yamichi then heard, the tech slamming his phone down in embarrassment, "DUDE! This is private!" Hotsuma just laughed a little before then asking, "So...When's the movie?" Yamichi blinked, "W-why?" At this Hotsuma pointed at himself, "Come on, man, do I really have to spell it out for you? Who else is going to ferry your ass across the water?"

Yamichi floundered for a second, then was able to reply with "Y-you....Why would you help me...You hate Topsiders..." Hotsuma sighed, his crimson eyes closing as he retorted, "True...But I care about the Satellite even more so. And since Takeshi's still missing, I need to be the boots on the ground looking for him...I need someone dependable to mess with them. Besides...She's someone you love right?" Yamichi nodded, to which Hotsuma came over and knelt down in front of Yamichi, a hand coming to rest on the tech's shoulders. For a moment, the two only stared at each other, before long the former Disciple's commander saying,

"Don't do what I did, Yamichi...Don't throw this away...You love her, so go for her. Fuck what her parents say; you're a better man than they think you are. And...You're a better man than me. Remember...I want to make the people of the Satellite happy, when all is said and done. So if that means you go over to the Tops and meet a fantastic girl, then that means I'm playing taxi driver."

Even with all the changes that had happened to him, should anyone else be listening...It was clear that Hotsuma was still Hotsuma, deep down inside. And that Yomi, however much its other human denizens might be rejecting his presence, was the link holding him steady.

Yamichi was stunned speechless, but eventually smiled and after a firm nod, sent Ling back a confirmation message:

"Your parents picked the wrong nerd to say what they said to, Ling; come hell or high water we're seeing that movie. Lemme know the date and I'll be there!"

Yamichi

"Arigato, Hotsuma-san" Yamichi said, giving his boss a hug before running off; he had a date to prepare for after all. Leaving Hotsuma alone again....His voice saying "Well...Least there's one last mercy I can give...Because what I'm about to do, especially once Takeshi's back..." His fists clenched, feeling his anger start to boil again.

"Yamichi was right about one thing...I despise the Tops. They don't know what suffering is...But I'll be glad to impart them a taste of it." And within the depths of his mind, the Emperor smiled gleefully beneath that corrupted mask. Yes...It was nearly time. He could feel the roiling energies around him; the conflict was about to begin anew. And this time, oh this time....

Nothing would stand in his way.

Huh? Things to take care of?

Knowing either it'd come back to her mind or Jack would remind her, Fayth quietly stood up and walked outside with Jack. Her head shook and only when they'd gotten on the Wheel of Fortune did Fayth finally speak up.

" ... This may seem a bit random, but there is a point to this question. What was the first thing you noticed about me? I can figure with my real deck - probably Red Daemon's Dragon Tyrant, given your reaction from back then. So just ... me as a person. What'd you first notice? I won't be mad if it was my .... state. I'm just wondering if it's really that much of a standout feature on me or what."

No doubt a thought that Xue helped her contemplate on, as that was how she 'identified' Fayth.

It would be while waiting that the 'other things to take care of' came back to Fayth's mind.

.... Fuck, that's right. Getting a proper outfit.

She did have a small handful of skirts and blouses. Even still, those wouldn't suffice. Not with something as huge as the showing of this movie. No, she'd need to get completely dolled up. Which meant .... she would need to make a call when she got back. Not that she didn't trust Jack or any of the other butlers to help her out. But this would very likely need a woman's touch to help her find a decent - if not amazing - dress.

Sorry. I'll make up for it somehow ...

Unfortunately, that sorta assistance would have to come from someone who'd likely be exhausted as all hell. But that was why the Wheel of Fortune wasn't the only thing racing. So was Fayth's mind in an effort to figure out how to get Fuyu to agree to helping her. It'd likely be at her expense ... but an answer did pop into her mind soon enough.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Was that a bit too ... bold?

Well ... too late to take any of that text back. All Ling could pray was she hadn't scared Yamichi off somehow.

Focusing on homework was normally something she could deal with easily. But right then and there? Her gaze kept moving back to her phone. Waiting ... hoping ... and even partially expecting a response. After twenty minutes passed, she was convinced she'd royally fucked up.

Ling was ready to give up on ever seeing, let alone hearing, from Yamichi again before finally, her phone vibrated!

She happily opened it and grinned from seeing it was indeed from her lover. And as her brown eyes scanned the message? Her smile only further widened.

"Dinner will be finished in about an hour! Be ready!" she would hear her mother call out.

"I will. Almost done!"

... Funny how they could act with her. Although that would sound like nothing bad had recently happened, Ling knew deep down they were still pretty ticked at her.

Well ... tough shit. It's only gonna get worse tomorrow, she thought before hastily replying back to Yamichi.

Awesome! Glad to hear you're up for it!

It probably goes without saying, but this is gonna be a fancier event. I'm gonna take a detour and buy a dress after school tomorrow. But once I'm done with that, I'll meet you at the event!

See you tomorrow!

<3

Ling

Another silent prayer went up as she hit the 'Send' button; this one pleading that he wouldn't think she was doubting his intelligence. It was more whether he could find a place that would have anything appropriate to wear in the Satellite. Unless ... he would sneak over to the Tops to do that? Either way, it really was meant to be a hint-slash-suggestion of sorts more than anything. As well as reassurance she would definitely rendezvous with him as opposed to bailing.

With a sound plan now in her own brain, Ling got the rest of her assignments finished up. By the time dinner rolled around, it took all of her will-power to arrive in front of her parents and look as normal as possible.

But oh how part of her wanted to smirk and taunt them that she was about to defy them in a rather huge manner. In fact, for the very first time in her whole life. She knew and expected one month would probably turn to one year. But in a way? That was fine with her. It'd just bring her even closer to eighteen and then .... bam. Ling could move out.

She had won more than enough yen, and hidden the check along with her deck. Just to ensure they couldn't mess with her money also.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Even though it had been Judai who first saw Yamichi return from Ling's place a few days ago, Yuna - and basically everyone else - ended up hearing what had happened. Secrets seldom lingered around anyone who was part of the Disciples or Yomi. Yuna's previous identity as Yukio had been one of the rare exceptions.

She had been waiting for Hotsuma to speak with Yamichi. Mainly because even though Yuna was now in charge, Hotsuma knew the tech much longer. Plus, Yamichi probably would have appreciated the sight of Hotsuma a bit more so.

Not to mention I don't wanna always drag Hajime around just to speak with others, Yuna inwardly added, a defeated sigh echoing after her thoughts finished. It'd been so long ... now, she really was certain she was permanently mute.

It'd be something she could more easily accept ... if it had given her a way to remove Hajime's predicament. Or make up for anyone else in some form or fashion.

Ah well.

Her head shook as Yuna started to wander through the new Facility and seek Hotsuma out. Thankfully, she found him finally speaking with Yamichi. Rather than step forward and showing she was near, Yuna listened from near the door frame leading into the room Yamichi had been hiding away in. She likely wouldn't be needed ... but that was why she was eavesdropping. In case something gave her a cue to walk inside.

Nope. On the contrary ... that was the closest to the 'old' version of Hotsuma she was hearing.

And that made Yuna smile. A few tears even formed as he advised Yamichi not to make the same mistake he did.

Her arm rose to wipe to salty droplets away. Even if nothing between them would happen, that confession alone was significant in its own rights. It helped her feel ... justified. Like she hadn't been a complete idiot in trying to wait while simultaneously denying Hajime.

Maybe he's not too far gone? she wondered, briefly biting on her lower lip.

.... That may be a tad too hopeful, yes. But any sliver of hope would be nice. Especially because there still hadn't been any luck in finding Takeshi. There was, however, one saving grace; they also hadn't found a body. Which meant he was more likely still alive than dead. All the same, something had to give. A confirmation of any kind, though preferably with finding him mostly well, was essential to the morale of everyone.

Nodding to herself, Yuna began walking back to her own room.

With or without Hotsuma, she was going to ride out pretty soon. She just needed to pinpoint exactly when to do just that, be it in mere hours or tomorrow evening.

On both sides of the incomplete bridge, gears were set in motion for the upcoming events, going on into the night. Both the good and the and; Jack would talk with Fayth for a little while. He suggested a tailor that he used for his suits to make her a dress, but Fayth would insist she had it covered. Something he would honor; after all, she was her own person. He could only offer help, not force it on her.

In the Satellite, Yamichi and Ling would text back and forth, the latter informing him how she was sneaking her phone to do so, as well as general information about the movie premiere. He would need to go buy a tuxedo for such an event; even if she hadn't informed him it was a high-class event. Thankfully, there were a plethora of shops within the fashion district that could accommodate his needs. And with the rest of his tournament earnings, he could afford at least one decent suit and a haircut/styling.

Something he would inform to his former boss; Hotsuma just laughed and told Yamichi not to worry about it. He'd get his butt over to the Tops to go attend his fancy movie party.

And with that, the night in the Tops came and went....Leading to the next day, where new surprises awaited everyone.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When Yamichi woke the next morning, he would send a message to Ling that he would be over in the later afternoon. Around when she might get out, so that she could hop in his Runner and ride with him to the premiere. He had planned to spend the early morning before cleaning it...But when he went down to the storage bay to work on it, he found more than a few people working on it...Including Hotsuma.

"Morning, geek!" Hotsuma joked upon seeing the tech, Yamichi blinking as he saw a familiar crew: Syd, Roro, Tai and Jung Leng. "Uhm...Morning? What's going on here?" the young man asked, Hotsuma shaking his head, "Man...You're going to a Tops gathering and you're gonna ride this rustbucket? Hell no! If you're representing me, you gotta blow them away!" Syd chuckled, "That's right, kid; and ain't no one better at fixing these things than me or my crew! Ain't that right, boys!?" Syd's men jeered as they put the finishing touches, a taller beefier man with short-cropped hair and a rough beard saying "And don't you worry; you're gonna blow your lady-friend away when you pick her up in this bad boy!"

At this Syd then motioned to Hotsuma, "Since he's your guy, care to do the honors?" Hotsuma laughed and walked up to the Runner, its entirety covered by a plain black tarp. And when Hotsuma pulled it back, Yamichi nearly fainted: The once-dull color was now replaced with a sterling silver paint-job, its shine almost blinding. The rims were finely polished, and the decals and spoiler fins were all redone, yellow-white racing stripes running down its length. And on the side, blazing yellow letters reading "Scrap Dealer" - in honor of his tournament nickname MC had come up with - were painted on, the edges bold-white to add more contrast. The headlights too, were changed out to be more reddish-white, in honor of the 'eyes' of his signature Synchro - Scrap Dragon.

"Well...What do you think, man? She's beautiful now, right?" Syd asked, grinning at seeing the shocked reaction. Yamichi walked forward a few steps, still in disbelief...Before long collapsing to his knees as he said "Words....I can't think of anything to say that would reflect my gratitude...But why?" At this the bald-headed male snickered, "Your boss told us what was going on; and since we got to use this bay as your main HQ now - thank God we're off that shitty ass boat - figured we'd do him a solid and help his main man." At this Hotsuma just spread his arms out and replied, "Hey, that's what we do, right? Look out for each other, 'cause we know those Security bitches ain't gonna do it for us!"

At this Yamichi stood up, wiping away the tears from his eyes as he looked to both Syd and Hotsuma before saying "Seriously...Thank you, all of you." Syd waved nonchalantly, "No sweat, little guy; even did you a solid and tuned the engine. She ran really good before...But I had Roro here fine-tune the throttle and gear-changers, and Sai recalibrated your gyroscope. Even that overblown Atlas couldn't touch you in speed now...But uh, don't mention that to him if you run into him." Syd then shifted his attention to his gusy, " I still can't believe they made a movie about the guy...What a bunch of tools."

At this Hotsuma just said, "Hey Syd....Thanks again, but now we gotta this cargo to the Tops. He's got a hot date after all; besides, he's gonna need all the time he can get!" Yamichi was about to argue, but it made sense; he had no real idea about what a tuxedo was, nor how it was supposed to fit. "Oi, come on, dude! We gotta go before Sector finishes their morning donuts!" Hotsuma joked, hopping onto his own Runner and firing it up. "Oi, Oboro! You should've let me detail yours!" Syd shouted, Hotsuma laughing "Would've just been wasted effort! Sector loves playing demolition derby with these guys; don't know why, because I always trash 'em! Figured they'd learn by now!" And with that...Yamichi and Hotsuma would be off to the wharf.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And about an hour later, Hotsuma steered the boat to the usual spot, allowing Yamichi to disembark. "Just remember the little people while you're living it up, Yami!" Hotsuma jeered, Yamichi waving as his boss would take back off to the Satellite; Yuna was already gone, having taken off to look for Takeshi on the far side of the island, and he was to meet up with her when he got back...Carefully guiding his Runner up the rickety gangway, he double-checked to make sure there was no one there before he took off. Riding through the streets of the Tops...Heart pounding with both fear and excitement at what he was about to do.

As childish as it sounded? This was fun; he was helping a Topsider defy her parents...A stupid grin was plastered on his face as he jammed the accelerator; he'd followed the directions to the nearest barbershop, where he'd get his unruly hair styled and trimmed - along with a hot towel face shave, despite the fact that he was far too boyish to grow any facial hair - to be more appropriate.

Over the course of the next few hours, he would go from store to store, trying to put together a decent outfit; mostly it was just to kill the time until Ling would be out of school, which wouldn't be until later. He had to wonder what she was going to look like; just about anything would look good on her, but he could tell that if she really put all her effort into it...She would be easily mistaken for a top-tier supermodel.

But it was here he realized something...And he didn't even know where it came from, but he recalled one distinct portion of the conversation before he was chased out: She'd mentioned not being 18....

"Wait...How old is Ling then?!" he asked himself incredulously; was she younger than him? Older? The same age? Shaking his head a little he would say, "No man...Don't think about it that way! She's too responsible to be that kind of girl....Right?" No, she absolutely wasn't and he knew it...Though if he had to be honest with him, even if she was just a year older, it was actually kind of fun to think about. He was dating an older woman...

"Oi, keep it together, stupid! You're going to a movie! Put your little fantasies on hold!" he then heard himself say, snapping him out of his temporary stupor once more as he would stop at a sitdown diner for breakfast. This would be a good way to kill some time before going in to be fitted...Or so he thought; he did some research and found it took about twenty minutes to get fitted properly for a tuxedo. He'd probably have to pay out the ass for a really good one...But he had the funds, and especially since it was Ling?

He was definitely going to do it.

Sure enough, Fayth succeeded in persuading Fuyu to help out. It was a tad last second .... but it had been appreciated all the same.

"You're not holding back, I see. Not that you do with duels, but .... damn. This is very different."

"Fuyu, don't --- "

"You do, don't ya? You got a thing for Jack, eh?"

Fayth sighed softly, crossing her arms over her chest as the two continued walking towards Atlas's residence. "I mean ... you're not completely wrong ... " Before Fuyu could speak up, Fayth swiftly rose her right index finger. "However, you do realize who you're talking about, right? Jack freaking Atlas. My chances were better with Yusei in starting anything intimate. Jack's so .... focused on dueling. Even with having lost his title."

"Well ... I'll say this much for free, then. If he doesn't react in any form or fashion tomorrow evening, there can only be a few reasons for why. He's more blind than you somehow, he's gay, he's insanely clueless or - in the worst case scenario - all of the above. That's ... damn. Probably one of the best articles of clothing I've seen you choose."

Fayth blushed at the praise.

"W-Well ... I had a bit of help."

"Pfft. Only with the color. But, yeah. I'll take what credit I do deserve, at the very least."

Finally, the two would arrive. Fuyu would look up and down Fayth a few times, grinning widely before hugging her. "You'll be fine tomorrow. Don't panic, okay?"

"I'll try not to," Fayth replied.

Before Fayth got too far away, Fuyu called out, "Get a pic of yourself in that dress! I wanna see it, and I'm pretty confident Reiji would wanna also!"

"Umm ... sure. Alright! Sleep well!"

Luckily, Jack was asleep or otherwise occupied by the time she got inside and entered her room. The dress was pulled out carefully from the bag and hung up in her closet.

"She was right. That is a very gorgeous dress you picked out."

Fayth gasped, turning around as a soft chuckle was heard, followed by a hand gently landing on her shoulder.

"Forgot me already?"

"N-No. Just ... you've been silent for the past ... how long now?"

"Fair. That was to give you time. Plus, you've been busy. Don't worry, I realize you need sleep. That's why this visit will be brief."

"So .... what are you here for, anyway?"

Morningstar merely smirked. Down to business. Actually ... he appreciated that trait in a person, regardless of gender.

"I just wanted to extend an offer to you. Think of it as similar to what Yuna has, yet different." Before she could ask 'how', he lightly tapped the side of her head.

"You're practically an open book to me, my dear. You have been since adding me to your deck, really. It just got stronger when I manifested."

"Okay. So ... if it's the same but not, how do you mean? What'll separate it from being the exact same as Yuna's powers?"

"Well first and foremost, you won't change into the exact card you focus on. You can, however, give yourself wings if you so desire. Even your sight back. It'll all be temporary, of course. But --- "

"W-Wait a minute. Wings I could believe. But ... my sight? I'm sorry if that sounds impossible to believe, but that's .... "

"Impossible?" Morningstar inquired.

"In its own rights? Sorta. Isn't it also rather taboo for an angel to allow such things to happen? I mean ... it doesn't seem like it's much better than reviving a dead person."

Morningstar chuckled softly again.

"I get where you're coming. You're somewhat right. I am defying certain laws. Unwritten ones, mind you, but laws all the same. And at the same time, you answered your own question. It's not resurrecting someone, no. Two, I am fallen, sweetie. We're prone to manipulating and bending rules every now and again. Three ... well, that's where the drawback of it being temporary helps balance the power out. If it were permanent, then yes. It'd be a lot worse for me to allow such a deed to happen. Come now though; don't even try to deny you've wanted your sight back. Most prayers you say involve wanting that back. Why me? Why'd it have to be me? Why in such a brutal manner? I've legitimately lost count of how many times I've heard you ask those questions and many more."

Fayth latched softly onto her lower lip. All chances she could have had to deny how right he was vanished when Morningstar repeated all of the pleas she had mentally recited. A few more minutes would pass before Fayth would slowly nod. "What's the catch? You're not doing this for free, I doubt."

"Fair assumption. I may not be a demon or devil, but you're right. I can let you try it out for free. But after that? It will come with a price. And, I'd like to think, it's a pretty generous one. Just keep us as your primary deck."

That made Fayth blink under the blindfold.

"Really? That ... is all you want?"

"It wouldn't do me any good to ask for anything dire like your soul. Not for something simple to give, anyway. So yes, truly. Your thoughts on shelving us haven't gone unheard. So ... I'm using that. But that's where the keyword comes in; primary. If you get in a desperate situation, then feel free to switch if absolutely needed. But not before then."

Fayth would feel herself turned around, her head tilted up to signal she was now facing Morningstar. Fingertips would gently brush against Fayth's hand to signal his own was nearby.

"So ... what say you?"

"I ... can I try these powers out first before agreeing?"

"Of course. Stay still."

His hand would move up and rest atop the blindfold. When it moved away .... there it was. Faint, but still noticeable light peeking out from under the cloth.

No way ...

Fayth's hands shook as she pulled the blindfold off ... and fell to her knees. "Oh god," she whispered, looking quickly around the room. It was real! For the first time in months, she could see again! "I .... I umm .... "

"Just enjoy it. No need to say anything."

Tears torn between happiness and sorrow in knowing this wasn't permanent fell from her face as she nodded and heeded Morningstar's advice. Her head first lowered to gaze at herself. She didn't look overly different - something that only slightly irritated her in one specific area. But .... she did have a few more years, and thus chances, to have those grow.

Aside from that? No complaints.

Fayth then proceeded to lift her head and look up to Morningstar himself. And .... she couldn't help but blush a bit.

"Why, thank you. I'm flattered. You do have good taste in men, even if you haven't known it."

"Umm ... "

"It's fine. You're only human, after all. This is one of those natural desires for you, is it not?"

"Well ... yeah. I suppose it is."

Any tears that remained were wiped away as Fayth finally stood up and, after some thinking, turned her disk on, although with the volume muted. Just in case everyone else was asleep. She rewound to the Fortune Cup and used the footage from back then to actually see everyone. Finally, she was able to put names and faces together. Thus, when Jack came around .... she was definitely surprised.

Whether it was more at the fact he, too, was a blonde or seeing he had violet eyes was anyone's guess.

Not that appearances mattered. She'd told people before even if she could judge by that, she wouldn't. But ... damn. That combination was actually really exotic.

Fayth managed to walk close to the closet and get a decent peek at the dress meant for tomorrow. Barely a minute would pass, however, before everything faded to black once again.

"I did say sample," Morningstar reminded Fayth.

"N-No. I understand."

"So? What say you?"

With this, Fayth didn't seem to need much more incentive. "I'll do it. I accept." She would turn around - this time on her own - and extend her hand out. Morningstar would intertwine his with her own .... and it may have looked like a fluke, given no immediate changes occurred.

"The next time you wish to use it, it'll be more obvious I kept my word. Just remember, you need to keep your part of the deal to ensure it continues to work."

"I definitely will! Thank you!"

And without thinking much on her next actions, she hugged Morningstar - which made him smirk in amusement as he returned the gesture.

"That'll be all for tonight. You have a special evening tomorrow, even if it's not for you. Enjoy it to the fullest, Fayth."

Within seconds, Morningstar would vanish as suddenly as he'd appeared. Only when Fayth was completely sure he was gone did she change out of her civilian clothes and into pajamas. Her head would only need to find the pillow before she passed out.

Ling was usually very fond of school. But the next day? She was all but eager for the end of school to arrive.

"Wow! Where are you off to in such a hurry?!" one of her friends would ask as the Chinese duelist all but ran out the doors when the final bell echoed throughout the halls.

"Date! Gotta get ready for it!"

"Ohhhhhhh?! Who's the lucky guy?!"

Ling merely smirked in reply, resulting in a chorus of groans. "Tease!" she heard shot back at her. She only felt slightly bad as an idea came to her. Mainly because it had a small amount of manipulation. At least, some people could argue it did. But it'd depend on whether Kyoko would willingly agree or not.

"So ... I need to hurry off. But since I'm in a rush ... would you mind dropping my stuff off at my house? I wouldn't feel right carrying it around. If push comes to shove, I guess --- "

"No, no! That's more than easy enough to do! I still have the extra key to your place. I should be able to slip in and out no problem."

"Awesome! Thanks so much!"

A quick exchange later and Ling darted out, now only carrying her current outfit and wallet in her hands. Forty-five more minutes would disappear - most of them used because she took a taxi to get to the mall, which did have several stores with fancier clothes inside. Before getting the dress, however, she stopped at a hair stylist and got her hair washed and put up in a neat bun.

Ling would use the same taxi to stand outside the doors leading to the premiere of Atlas Rising.

And when Yamichi would finally arrive? He'd see what exact dress Ling chose to wear. All for him, too.

Fayth, meanwhile, was much more nervous about how she'd turn out than Ling. It was stupid. Deep down, she knew that. She was just going as Jack's guest, after all. But after the talk between herself and Morningstar last night, even Fayth couldn't deny some part of her wished it wasn't only for business reasons that she was accompanying him.

Then again ... it wasn't something she was going to force Jack to accept. Hence why she hadn't tried doing anything with Yusei since he refused to return her kiss.

Not now! Really, not the time!

Her head shook as she sighed softly. In all honest to gods truth, she had been mostly dressed and ready for at least five minutes, if not ten. She just had been stupidly scared to walk out. Between time ticking away and simultaneously getting closer to when they would need to leave and Fayth steadily feeling foolish for standing despite technically being done, she finally forced herself to focus.

Even if it wasn't likely needed, her hands flowed over the fabric of her dress in an effort to straighten it out. Fayth then lifted them and lightly checked the braid she made. Not easily, no. In fact ... she had allowed Morningstar to briefly manifest long enough to assist with that, as well as getting her dress zipped up.

Suffice to say, Fayth was relieved no one walked in on her getting ready. It would have been the weirdest and funniest sight for anyone in this mansion to behold, no doubt.

A soft breath passed her lips. Gently, she turned the knob and exited her room, clad in her own dress she bought last night. Fayth would carefully descend down the flight of stairs - keeping to a slower pace due to the heels she was wearing more than any other reason - and waited at the bottom for Jack to hint he was ready to head out.

Yamichi was just about done with his own shopping; he would soon leave the mall in a very spiffy grey tuxedo, an elegant chrome watch adorning his right wrist. The last shop was a small mom-and-pop shop that sold quality tuxedos at fairly decent prices. While he was walking out, he took one last look at himself to make sure everything was in place. Thankfully, the premiere was not too far away; he could see the massive spotlights flashing into the sky, waving back and forth like a giant signal flare.

"Well...Least it won't be hard to find the place" Yamichi thought in a bemused tone, mounting his Runner once more and heading to where all the action was. Unaware of just how true that was...And how even more true it was about to be.

He would arrive to see Ling being hounded by a group of paparazzi, the cameras flashing like a bad light show. The reporters closing ranks and asking all sorts of questions, demanding that she smile for the camera.

"Miss Ling! Miss Ling! Smile here!"

"Fans everywhere want to know where you've been hiding!"

"It's rumored that several sponsors tried to reach you, but couldn't! Any comment?!"

Scowling a little, he was quick in finding a spot up-front but a fair ways down from the entrance; he'd forgotten his desire to flash off his new Runner to her and ran to her side. "Hey, hey! Give the lady some space!" Yamichi shouted as he came to her, one of the reporters shouting "Hey, it's that kid with the Scrap deck!"

"Are you Ling's date for this premiere?"

"What's it like to date the new Queen of Games?!"

Now it was his turn to almost have a seizure; man, the fuck was wrong with these people?! But then a third voice would join in, one that sounded fairly effeminate.

"Back off, you animals! Security!"

"All of back up, move it, move it!"

"Behind the barricades, now!"

At this, a medium-statured man would approach as a small legion of Sector officers helped give the duo a wide berth, helping to clear the way for them to the front of the theater, where a literal red carpet stood rolled out from the entrance. Standing at just a hair over Yamichi in height, the main seemed like a beanpole with how skinny he was, his form covered head to toe in a brilliant crimson suit, his neck-length hair styled into a loose pompadour. "Please forgive them, Miss Ling and Mister..." the man said, Yamichi adding "Hizumara...Yamichi Hizumara" The man then clapped, smiling "Excellent! This way you two!"

Soon enough, they would be led over to a smaller area just off to the side of the red carpet. "Uhm...What's this for?" Yamichi asked, the man saying "Why presentation of course! This event is huge; believe me, young man, that this is where magic happens! And I'm here to make sure it all goes off without a hitch! As Event Coordinator, I have to make sure the press captures the former King and new - and if I may dashing - Queen meet with each other! Besides...Rather rude to just go in without him, don't you agree?" At this Yamichi couldn't help but wonder if this guy and MC were related, himself about to say something when the Coordinator clarified, "Oh dear, that came out rude! Sincerest apologies! I'm sure this must be new to you, Miss Ling, so don't think I'm trying to belittle you! Now...I do believe Mister Atlas and his guest will arrive any second!"

With the two now having a moment of peace and a chance to catch their breath, Yamichi did look over to Ling and almost turned more red than the dress she wore. Well...He was expecting her to look good, but hot damn! That dress hugged her in all the right places! And she had such a glow about her; was this really the same Ling he met? She was already a knockout before in his eyes...Now he had more than a few rather impure thoughts running through his mind.

"H-he is right though, Ling...You...Wow, you really...U-uhm..." he started to say, quickly faltering as the shock made him lose his nerve. But he was finally able to say it clearly after a couple of seconds, "You look...really...REALLY incredible! And...I mean in the way that words couldn't possibly describe it..."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jack had gone to bed early the night before; granted, he didn't have nearly as much shopping to do as Fayth did, nor was she very forthcoming about what she brought. Even so, the eve of the premiere, he had gone to make sure his own tuxedo - a simple outfit that complimented his violet irises and fair skin tone - was cleaned and pressed, ready to be worn. His hair styling was a simple affair, something he had had more than enough practice with when dealing with coordinators for book signings, television commercials and guest appearances on talk shows.

He did take a little bit longer than usual, but not because of fright or anxiety. More trying to come to grips with - what was in his mind - a literal passing of the torch. His eyes looked at himself, seeing the well-dressed man in the reflection...But the fire of conflict raged in his eyes. One could argue that had been done when his Life hit zero in the Title Match...But when people would see him and Ling talking with each, attending a movie event? That would more than certainly cement in their minds that Jack Atlas was no longer the King. That he was no longer the King.

And...Despite his relatively maturity up to this point, that was a little hard to stomach. All his life he'd worked to build himself on a path of power...The Path of the King. But...Even the mightiest of rulers fell: Charlemagne, Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar. All of them were long gone, but their legacy and their fame lived on as Kings of their eras and empires. And really...That was all he really wanted, now that he thought about it.

"Okay...That's enough stalling." he then said to himself, taking a deep breath to calm his mind before stepping out his room. He walked with confidence, getting to the top of the stairs before his eyes would land on Fayth...And practically lock on.

To say she looked incredible was an understatement; Fayth would likely hear his breath hitch in his throat as he was caught off-guard. Gone was the relatively plain-looking girl...To say she cleaned up nicely would not do her justice. He had to take a second to steady himself, but then proceeded down the stairs. "Fayth...You look amazing." he would compliment her, a gentle smile on his face.

"You're no slouch yourself, Mr. Atlas...But he is quite right, Ms. Milner. You look rather fetching in that attire" complimented Mister Evans, coming to stand at the door to hold it open for them. "Your driver is awaiting you and Miss Milner in the driveway sir; an escort will see you get to the premiere post-haste." the butler continued, Jack just nodding and saying "Thank you...Shall we, Fayth?" He would hold out his arm, ever so gently touching her with his elbow to let her know of the gesture.

Once at the limousine, Jack would then open the door and help guide her inside; the seats were comfortable, clearly quite expensive leather and the temperature kept perfectly at such that it would not induce sweating nor make the occupants shiver with chill. The faint sound of sirens could be heard as Sector patrolmen would provide an armed escort for their car, the vehicle lurching a little as it left the mansion grounds and headed towards the active theater.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"It's Atlas!"

That was what one reporter said, causing those that were trying to get pictures of Ling and Yamichi to suddenly divert their attention, watching as Jack's limousine would pull up to the front of the red carpet. Stepping out as he casually addressed the crowd before reaching down with a hand and helping Fayth exit the vehicle. Cameras going off around the pair now, Security now forming a tight group to help keep any overzealous fans from jumping the barrier.

"And it seems the King has his own special guest tonight! It's none other than Celeste Belrose, the Fallen Angel of the Fortune Cup! They're of course joined by the new Queen of Games, Ling Xiu Tsou, as well as her own date!" would say a blonde-haired woman; Jack instantly recognized the voice as belonging to that of a chipper red-headed reporter. At least it wasn't Angela this time; of all the reporters, she was one of the most aggravating. Privacy did not exist for the woman, and she seemed absolutely hellbent on trying to figure out whatever loopy theory someone thought of him or the Director. Granted, he knew it was her job...But still, a little space would be nice. Thankfully, the heavens seemed to have granted that unspoken wish.

"Alright you two! You're up! Go out and greet your new fans!" said the Coordinator, ushering Yamichi and Ling to rejoin the fray once more.

"Ling?" Jack would say incredulously, more than a little surprised to see her here; he'd thought she was grounded. But when he saw Yamichi by her side...He couldn't help cracking a smile. "Yamichi...Did you..." Jack would say, a light teasing tone on his voice before Yamichi would flush again, "N-no! We uhm...We agreed to meet her, that was all!" He was trying to play stupid, but he could tell Jack wasn't falling for it. Jack knew that they had planned, but he was sure Ling snuck out of her own volition.

"But...You both look great...Have to say though...This is all kind of overwhelming." Yamichi commented meekly, Jack replying "This is probably about mid-range what you can expect for celebrity status...And now that your face is seen with hers, you might as well be one yourself." Yamichi scratched a cheek, speaking softly "But I lost..." Jack shook his head, "Doesn't really matter; you made an impact with your Deck choice and got fairly far. And now that the paparazzi's seen you with Ling...Well, I'm sure you can figure that much out."

Huh. Odd. I would have expected Jack and his guest to arrive first.

Ah well. It gave Ling a chance to truly take in her surroundings. From the theater to the lights to the cameras and then the paparazzi.

Wait, what?!

Ling felt her face quickly pale in color as she looked very close to a doe caught staring at the headlights of an incoming car. She had figured everything else would be here. For some reason, though, reporters hadn't been part of the equation - something she was repeatedly scolding herself for not considering.

"U-Um, well ... "

Luckily, she wouldn't be alone to deal with this for long. Granted, she wasn't wishing that Yamichi would be caught in the midst of this mess. But it did make things just a bit easier to try to reply to. Her voice at least resumed functioning properly.

"My phone got misplaced for a few days. My bad~ Buut ... I promise they won't have to wait too much longer. So no need to fret about that."

Yeah, it was a lie. But in Ling's eyes, she was doing her parents a favor. If she'd said the truth? There would be a lot of attention. Even with how irked and frustrated they had made her, they were still her parents. It just wasn't in Ling to wish them any dire ill will. At worst, they did need to understand what she'd told them last night was very true; she wouldn't remain sixteen forever. They didn't have to like it, but come eighteen, she would be free to do whatever she wished.

A coy grin appeared on her face as she tossed caution to the wind and hugged Yamichi as he arrived.

"Miss me?" she whispered softly, purposely lowering her voice to keep anyone else from hearing.

The same person whom Yamichi believed to be related to the MC came forth and ...honestly? He certainly gave even Ling the very same idea; that he was the MC, or a twin of said announcer. Her head bowed politely as she moved aside, relieved to get a reprieve from the crowd. It wouldn't be forever - Ling knew that. But she should get enough time to gather her bearings and wits properly.

Ling would shake her head, first taking a time to reply to the event coordinator. "No, sir. I didn't think you were belittling me at all. But I appreciate the reassurance."

She would then give Yamichi her full and undivided attention, grinning as she took advantage of the break from the paparazzi so she could keep her focus on her lover. "You look really nice in that tux. I'm ecstatic you could make it here tonight."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Fayth, meanwhile, was torn. Part of her really wanted to use her powers; even if just to sneak a peek in at the real Jack. Seeing him on her duel disk was one thing. In person? That was a whole different ball game, and probably a more significant one.

But .... that would lead to questions. Far too many of them.

And even if he wouldn't care about her explanation, others would. It'd be more trouble when all was said and done.

Maybe another day when she wouldn't have to worry about being around so many people, especially reporters. But not tonight ... somewhat sadly. The best Fayth could do was use the images she'd seen and create a decent picture in her mind.

A few more minutes would go by before Fayth's ears picked up on footfalls approaching ... only to stop. His breathing temporarily ceasing did catch her ears, and it took every bit of Fayth's will not to shoot Jack a knowing smirk. Since she'd seen and confirmed how the dress looked for herself, Fayth had a decent idea on what had made him literally stop in his tracks.

"Evening, Jack."

Her face flushed as she bowed her head.

"Thank you. I'm certain you look handsome as well."

Fayth would nod, linking her arm with Jack's and followed him outside to the limo. "You nervous? You kinda feel it."

The rest of the drive would be mostly quiet. Sure enough, just as everyone had warned, reporters were there. And .... so was .... Ling?! That certainly earned a smile on Fayth's face.

"Well now, Ling ... I didn't really deem you a troublemaker."

"You haven't known me long enough then. No, for real, you're .... mostly right. I don't typically, buuuut .... " Ling shrugged. "This seemed like a time I could make an exception."

There would be a brief pause before Ling added, "Is .... that really you, Fayth? It's hard to recognize you."

Fayth giggled softly, nodding. "Yes, yes it is. I admit, this is ... new for me. Dressing like this, I mean. Even I feel kinda like a new person. Yamichi, glad to know you could come here also."

Hearing Jack hint both she and Yamichi would gain a certain amount of notoriety made her face turn a bit red.

.... Ah well. She certainly didn't regret it, and it appeared as if Yamichi agreed enough not to turn and run away.

"I'm honestly a bit embarrassed at myself. I got a decent idea on what to expect ... save for the cameras from the reporters. This ... is gonna definitely require a lot of getting used to."

"Well in any event, I'm glad you could make it." Jack would say to both Ling and Yamichi; while he wasn't sure if it was wise to let her stay here, trying to send her home would do only more damage at this point. Besides...He was kind of glad she disobeyed her parents, if only because she did deserve to be here. And when she mentioned not expecting the cameras and reporters, Jack chuckled, "Trust me, it was an adjustment when I became the King. It'll get easier I promise; plus, with the sponsorship deals you'll have set up, you can afford things like people to screen any visitors who might want to visit."

At this, a third limousine would pull up, Jack's having pulled away a short while ago; out stepped a man few would have expected to be here. "Director?" Jack asked, the crowd shifting their attention to the tall burlesque male as Goodwin smiled. "Jack...Ling. Glad to see the two of you on friendly terms; will make for good headlines and press for the both of you." Yamichi was speechless, his face blanking a little as Goodwin then turned his attention to the blonde. The Director, however, seemed to possess no intent of causing trouble, "Ah...Yamichi, wasn't it? I see Ling has good taste. You're her plus-one for this event then?"

Yamichi just nodded quickly, "Yes...She invited me." Goodwin's smile persisted, "Very good. I'm glad she was able to find someone. Now, I think the premiere's about to start, but we should go in and mingle with some of the other celebrities." Honestly, Rex wasn't here to cause trouble at all; if anything, this was one event he wanted to go off right after everything that happened so far. Ling, despite her dubious ascent to the throne, did deserve recognition for her tenacity and skill. And Jack, despite the fact that he was no longer King, would still be very much useful in the events to come. Ones he knew would happen, but not quite when.

Inside was a regular cacophony of gentle talking, adults in attire very much like that of Ling, Yamichi, Jack and Fayth attending the lobby; due to the nature of this film, the first showing was restricted to the A-list celebrities. Soft classical music played in the background, the lobby done up with warm lighting and even a couple of chandeliers. Waiters in proper suit attire waltzed around, carrying flutes of champang. And once inside...All of them would see a very familiar face, dressed in the same suit as he had been since announcing the Selection Tournaments and the Fortune Cup.

"Jack! Ling! Celeste! Yamichi! So good of you to come!" said MC, smiling widely as he approached them, offering each of them a handshake. He seemed...toned down, compared to how he usually acted. "I'm surprised you managed to find time; you're usually so brilliant researching other duels to best improve your announcements." Jack then said, having followed the group after they were allowed inside; the Director had said nothing else, parting off to go see about security matters. "Director you give me too much credit; even I know when to take a break. That being said, I would be more than happy to announce and commentate on a Duel between Ling and Jack right here; would make for quite the pre-attraction show, would it not?"

Jack just smiled, "Some other time, Miyako...Tonight's just about a movie." "Miyako...?" Yamichi blinked, the MC smiling as he said, "Ah yes, I've forgotten; MC is merely my stage name, as it were. Adds an air of mystique when you don't know the true identity of the people competing, does it not? Miyako Chinen. Pleasure to finally meet all of you." Jack smiled as MC would then start to talk with the others; yeah, he was glad he was able to attend this.

It was here that a loud clinking could be heard, the attention turning as Goodwin and a lean but well-dressed man would call the attention to themselves. The latter then spoke, "If I may have your attention? The movie is about to start, but first I would like to thank all of you for attending. In many ways, this night is symbolic: Never before have we had a champion so young, both former and current. We're here tonight to celebrate one King's rise to power before stepping down, and to welcome a new Queen who might bring even more glory to the competition of Duel Monsters!"

At this Goodwin stepped forward, "Indeed; this is a momentous occasion! Jack...The thrills you've brought to the game of Duel Monsters will go down in legend for years to come. And while tonight you may feel it marks the end of your Dueling career, I pray that it is not. You can forge a new path, one set in glory and victory as you had done for." The audience would then start to clap softly, respectfully loud but not quite underwhelmingly either. "And Ling; if you can perform as well as you had throughout the Selection Tournaments and the Fortune Cup, I believe you'll show everyone that you've more than fully earned your right to be called the Queen of Games." At this Goodwin then raised his own drink, "To a new future, for everyone!" This was met with more applause, as well as several other celebrities coming over to finally introduce themselves to Ling. Unlike the stadium, she would be met with approval and praise, not condescension and judgment.

"Well...Wasn't expecting that...But he is right Ling. You do deserve this night...No matter what anyone says." Yamichi would then say, Jack just replying "Sometimes the Director like to help boost people up, even if his demeanor doesn't always show it."

When Goodwin arrived, both Ling and Fayth looked visibly nervous. As such, the two women were equally stunned when his words all but revealed he wasn't here to make this evening tense. Quite the opposite, he seemed; he was here to make sure it went smoothly. It was definitely appreciated, particularly by Fayth.

.... Had she gotten dressed up so well he didn't recognize her or did he purposely fail to address her?

Ah well. It was probably for the best. Just in case; that was what the runner-up insisted to herself, anyway.

"Heh, thank you, Mr. Goodwin."

It wasn't his words, per se, that made Ling chuckle. It was the irony; while one person complimented her taste on men, her own parents were across the way, believing the very opposite to be true. And .... by now, they likely had ..... well. No matter. This night was one to enjoy, not spend fretting about how her mom and dad were reacting. That could wait until the night came to a close.

Ling would softly gasp as they entered.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Fayth asked.

"Definitely! I don't think even the hotel we stayed in had this kinda feel to it."

Fayth shook her head, "Though it certainly wasn't horrible, either. But no, you're right. This is ... far more than an environment for people residing in the Tops. It's ... closer to an elite type of sensation; yet, despite whom it's for, it's also welcoming to those who can earn a place inside."

Ling had to stifle a chuckle; all of that just from walking inside a theater? Far more descriptive than she would have guessed. But then again ... it made sense, considering Fayth couldn't use her eyes like she could. Ling lightly squeezed onto Yamichi's hand, feeling herself steadily getting a bit nervous. Not so much from the crowds nor even the people. Fame wasn't something she ever expected to experience, least of all as the Queen of Games.

It was as overwhelming as it was amazing to feel.

Fayth, meanwhile, had re-linked her arm with Jack's to ensure she didn't get lost. The numbers had dwindled, since only select people could actually see the film. Still, even with the decrease, there were more individuals than she was used to being near.

It took a bit for Ling to realize and Fayth to recognize the respective face and voice that soon approached the group. They would comprehend seconds later, however, it was the MC.

Ling's face flushed slightly at the offer of a duel. "It's not with me," she mumbled sheepishly. Thankfully, Jack managed to convince him not tonight. Another time could work and, quite frankly, she was more than fine with that arrangement. "I still owe you your own rematch, eh?" she whispered to Yamichi, rolling her fingers gently over his hand.

Every now and again, some people would approach the quartet. Most seemed to do a double take, but they all managed to take note of whom Jack had chosen as his plus one. Apparently, even Fayth had some celebrity status, which was .... interesting. Runner-ups tended to get forgotten. But ... maybe she was an exception, and not just because of her blind state, though that certainly helped. How many other blind duelists could have done so well? Hell, how many other blind people even dueled?

None, as far as she knew.

When the last of the talks came to an end, another foreign voice that neither Ling or Fayth would recognize started giving a speech. They didn't remain as the primary speaker, however, as Goodwin soon took over.

The praise made Ling blush a bit.

Fayth, meanwhile, grinned and looked right over to Jack, waiting to talk until Yamichi had finished relaying to Ling she did deserve this evening. "Goodwin's also right about you too, Jack. It hasn't gone past me your mood's sometimes been ... like you've been permanently defeated. Sometimes, the end of things - reigns in this case - are opportunities for newer and better ones. Precisely as Goodwin himself said."

Considering it was no secret she had never been overly fond of the Director, it'd likely be a surprise for Jack to hear that sort of agreement from Fayth.

Ling merely smirked as she snuck a glance out of the corner of her eye. Fayth may have insisted she was truly just friends and comrades with Jack. But especially in that dress and even hearing her try to keep Jack's spirits high? It was very, very easy to think they were much more than that.

Wouldn't be the worst woman to be with Jack, either, she mused.

With the end of the speech came the unspoken hint that soon, the movie would begin. And so, all four moved forward, finding and taking seats to enjoy the film. It would barely begin when Fayth bit on her lower lip to hide a pained wince.

.... No! God, no! Seriously?! Now?!

"Fayth?" Ling whispered, staring at her friend's shoulder which was steadily glowing. Just like it did back during the Fortune Cup.

"Damnit," Fayth muttered, pressing herself closer against Jack in an effort to hide her mark. And when that failed, she opted to cover it with her left hand, which was beginning to shake. "You two ... should leave."

"Leave? Why? What's that mean?"

"Trouble ... nearby .... major, too. Ngh ... "

Jack - and even Yamichi - were both surprised that Fayth agreed with the Director; even so, Jack found it hard to refute the man's words. This was a new beginning...And he intended to make the most of it. "You're right...I don't quite know what I'll do. Still likely be Dueling-related, but I'll have to look into it more."

At this the movie was then announced to start, Yamichi replying "Yeah...But you don't have to figure that out tonight. Besides...I'm curious to see how you became Dueling King in the first place." Yamichi had heard plenty of people say he was an uppity Tops snob that bought his way to fame, or that he somehow paid off his opponents to let him win and that he had no real skill. But watching him Duel in person? Yamichi himself wondered if Jack wasn't from the Tops; not many Topsiders ran Beatdown decks like Jack.

But soon enough, the movie was to begin; the crowd filed in silently and calmly, ushers guiding the guests to their assigned seats. Of course, Jack and Ling would get the best seats possible, being seated up on a balcony overlooking the rest of the theater, with seats for their guests on the outsides. As it was, Jack and Ling sat next to each, with Fayth directly to Jack's right and Yamichi to Ling's left, all four having an unobstructed view of the screen. "So...This is going to be life for Ling at some point. Am I even still right for her, being from the Satellite?" Yamichi thought to himself; the more he saw the splendor of Neo Domino, the less he felt like he belonged. He did want to be with Ling, that was unshakable...But should he be with Ling? Even with what Hotsuma said earlier...He still had his doubts if he was the best choice for her.

However...Those thoughts would get pushed aside as Fayth and Jack's arms started to glow, the former King grimacing as he tried to bear the pain; both of them had a red glow around their forelimb, the Signs reacting and burning harshly. Jack felt it too...But he felt something else: Dread. If there was ever a time where he felt true impending peril, it was now. "S-She's right...Run...Security! Escort Ling and Yamichi out of here, immediately! Evacuate the building!" Jack shouted, but they would find it was much too late.

"AWWW....YOU GUYS SPOILED THE SURPRISE! Partypoopers! No cake for you! Hehahahaha!"

A loud booming laugh echoed across the entirety of the theater; a heavy presence filled the air, enough for Yamichi to feel more than a little panicked. "Jack..What the hell is going on..." Yamichi muttered; his face looked about as pale a ghost, and he seemed near ready to keel over. And when the source was revealed, Jack and his entourage would see only a robed figure standing in front of the screen, hood covering his face, the rest of the crowd frozen silent from the strange and eerie appearance

"And here I had gone through all the trouble of setting up a grandiose reunion tour!" the cloaked man said with more than a hit of sadistic glee, golden eyes peering from under his hood to see the rest of the populace. "Man...You Topsiders are a bunch of weaklings. Scared near shitless...This is nowhere near what I can really do." he sneered; moments later, about twenty Sector officers burst through the bottom sets of door, the lead officer - his stripes showing him as a Field Sergeant - shouting as he and all the others leveled their firearms at him. "Freeze, punk! Hands where I can see them! Don't move!"

The robed figure seemed to comply, his voice low as he replied, "My, my, such aggression! But then...That's to be expected from Sector. You guys think you're big bad wolves, don't you? Flashing your badges and your guns at anyone who tries to oppose you...But really, when you strip that power away, you're nothing more than scared little pups!" At this, a reviling energy rolled out in a wave as the cloaked male threw his hands outward; the crowd immediately collapsed from their seats, the Sector officials doing the same. All of them having bulging eyes and more than a few clawing at their throats, almost as if something were smothering and suffocating them.

Yamichi immediately followed suit, but the reaction wasn't nearly as violent; the tech would clutch his chest as he felt a crushing pressure all around him. As if someone had taken the gravity and turned it up to eleven. Jack and Fayth's mark immediately activating even more to produce what appeared to be a translucent sphere of red energy, actually serving to lessen the burn; Yamichi would feel the pressure lessen, allowing him to catch his breath as he tried to recover from the ordeal. "L-Ling...Ling...You okay?" Yamichi wheezed, Jack's attention still focused as he stood up to get a better look at the intruder.
At this the robed figure just said, "Now then...Jack Atlas! Let's reveal the real star of this show! Lights!" At this, unseen figures would alter the direction of the now-active spotlights - as this theater was also used to stage live performances - to reveal the robe being almost all black with indigo accents and trim, a strange alien-esque symbol of the same color on the chest of it and around the front clasp. "Camera!" continued the robed figure, a hand coming up to grip the hood covering his face before he would finally shout "ACTION!" and rip the hand back with his arms spread in a dramatic flair...Revealing to Jack a very familiar face, one possessing a very sinister grin.

"Kiryu....Kyosuke....So you really did come back...." Jack muttered.

"Fayth?! Fayth?!"

Even without seeing a full expression, the pained sounds were more than enough for the new Queen to worry about her much more than the warning. Although hearing Jack agree with Fayth - as well as his own mark burn - made her mouth fall agape.

Wait, he's got one too?

He'd definitely hidden his much better. Yeah ... re-looking between the two, this was really hurting Fayth for some reason. "You can't ... what, just leave you two? Fayth, you need to get seen --- "

"I will afterwards! Go, please!"

The sadistic voice that filled the room made Fayth sick. Almost literally. Her right hand fell atop her midsection as she tried to keep herself from legitimately wanting to vomit. Of course. Of fucking course it would have to be him. Fayth felt tears begin to form under her blindfold. Did this mean tonight would be her last night alive?

Well .... if that was the case, then she'd go out doing something properly.

Ensuring at least Jack stayed alive. Not all of the Signers could be killed, after all. Some had to survive ... and if not her, any of the others would work just as well.

"Yamichi ... "

Ling slumped onto the floor, clutching at her own chest.

"Can't ... breathe well .... "

By the time Fayth managed to get her body somewhat under control, she was breathing and panting heavily. Her head bowed briefly before lifting as she shakily stood up. Even if she could have tried to convince Sector to focus on the evacuation part instead of fighting Kiryu ... the words got stuck in her throat. There was time ... enough to determine if now would be a good one. If ever there was a moment to even consider using her new powers, now would be it. Right?

"Wrong. Didn't Yuna say her own got sealed?"

Yes, but -- !!

"I won't be of any use to you if I meet the same fate. Wait. Keep the fact we made a pact a secret for a bit longer. If he tries anything lethal ... I'll help you as effectively but discreetly as I can."

..... I'm holding you to that.

Fayth gulped, knowing and realizing there was only one thing to do. Heed her original train of thought. Use her own loyalty, bravery, actions, words ... and not much more. This was going to be all her, in the most literal and purest displays. Fayth wouldn't need to do much more than reach out with her arm and feel Jack hadn't moved too far away. She stood beside the former Champion, eyebrows narrowed as Jack confirmed himself it was, indeed, Kiryu.

"Are you here for my life? Or to put me in Yuna's place when you held her? I know that's one thing you want."

And in case it hadn't clicked, Yamichi would realize this was the same person she'd shown to the others after returning from her captivity. If he stopped to focus on the wording of her questions, Kiryu would pick up on something too - and that would come in the fact Fayth had mentioned things she wasn't supposed to know about.

Unlike when she spoke with Xue, however, that wasn't a slip-up. She meant to reveal that.

Hotsuma and the other Disciples or Yomi members weren't the only ones proud of Yuna for holding out against this son of a bitch. Fayth was too. Letting him know he'd failed in keeping her mute was a nice way to jab at his ego. Dangerous, yes.

But Fayth was already ordering her feet, preparing to move in front of Jack if Kiryu started moving forward. If things were already going to get really bad ... then why not? At this rate, there may not be much more left for Fayth to lose.

Back
Top Bottom