Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

MURPG

lilithsboy

Star
I would like to see about playing (or GMing if no one else wants to though I would like to play) an MURPG game. If you are not familiar with this game it is a diceless Marvel game that lends itself well to play by post particularly on here since there is no on-site rolling.

I would prefer to be able to play OC and have this be adult in some fashion but please let me know what people want.

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO FEEL! YOU DON'T KNOW ME! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MILDLY IRRITATING IT IS TO LET GO OF THE SHIFT BUTTON TO TYPE THE APOSTROPHE EVERY TIME! I COULD USE CAPS LOCK, BUT THEN I HAVE TO HOLD DOWN SHIFT FOR THE EXCLAMATION MARK, SO EITHER WAY IT'S A BIT OF A MOMENTUM KILLER! I SUPPOSE THE APOSTROPHES AREN'T THAT IMPORTANT, BUT I CARE ABOUT GRAMMAR, EVEN IN TEXT MESSAGES! I GET SELF-CONSCIOUS ABOUT HOW LONG AND PROPER THEY ARE WHEN EVERYONE ELSE'S ARE SO CASUAL, BUT I CAN'T HELP IT. BUT THEN, HERE'S THE FUCKED UP PART, I STILL LEAVE OFF THE FINAL PERIOD AT THE END, SO WHAT WAS ALL THE WORK FOR? I DESTROYED THE GRAMMATICAL INTEGRITY OF MY TEXT, ALL FOR ONE DAMN BUTTON! IT MAKES NO SENSE!

...at any rate, Happy New Year to you, too.

Panabaker_frost_fan.jpg

Name: Niobe Daniels
Pseudonym: Winterstar
Concept: Ice Girl
Faith: Roman Catholic
Origin: Hereditary Power
Race: Caucasian

Birthday: November 11th
Sexuality: Bi
height: 5’10”
Weight: 155lbs
Measures: 34”C, 24” 30”
Skin: Creamy fair.
Hair: White gold.
Eyes: Luminous Azure
Style: See Image

History: The second daughter of Kevin and Rosemary Daniels--successful lawyers living in Washington, DC--Niobe and her elder sister Margaret had the freedom and resources to pursue their dreams growing up. Both girls were self motivated go getters who loved reading, arts and crafts, and clothes.
Margaret excelled in both school, then college, ultimately pursuing a career as a social worker. She also loved music and had some renown as a chorister.
Just as intelligent and gifted as her elder sister, Niobe didn’t do quite so well. Though extremely motivated, she lacked her sisters focus. Her grades in school bounced chaotically--showing straight As one month, barely passing the next. She started and then dropped fan fiction projects as soon as the next book caught her eyes. Her (much older) cousin Gabriel--a professional fantasy novelist--told her she had the potential for professional level work, encouraging her where others who took her writing seriously never got past chiding her for never finishing a project.
Niobe bounced around in athletic fields as well, Soccer, Gymnastics, Acrobatics, Tai Chi, and Wu Shu, she spent a year or more studying each of these before her 21st birthday, but only ice skating could really hold her attention.
Indeed, it was only when gliding over the ice on a cold winter night that her mind really went quite.
After washing out of a prestigious college at 19, Niobe’s family finally took the idea that something might be wrong with their daughter seriously. Taken to an expert diagnostician, ADHD flags went off in the doctor’s mind almost immediately, but he took his time to run all the proper tests before declaring the diagnosis and prescribing a careful regime of advanced medicine and cognitive therapy.
After the initial period of adjusting to the medication was past, Niobe complained to her loved ones that it was too strong, she was having trouble getting any motivation at all.
Gabriel Brewer invited her to spend some time at his home outside of Seattle. During those years, her cousin--17 years older than she but not really showing it--instructed her in meditation and martial arts--things he used to help cope with his schizophrenia--and asked her to workshop his writing, offering to do the same for her.
In celebration of Niobe’s first publication, Gabriel took her to a ski resort. They spent several weeks enjoying winter sports, and each noticed that the other had an uncommonly high tolerance for cold.
Niobe was almost twenty one on the seventeenth day of their vacation. The two were skiing down a difficult slope when a minor earthquake sent a massive avalanche down the mountain. Displaying superhuman strength and speed, Gabriel grabbed Niobe and leaped with her onto a high, solid rocky outcropping, then reached out with iridescent auras too snag fallen skiers up there with them.
Niobe was shocked to recognize the powers of the costumed hero Dragonline. She could also see that it wasn’t going to be enough. She had an intuitive understanding of snow and ice and knew that this was going to crush the resort below was going to be smashed to flinders with everyone in it if the snow had time to build up speed.
As if flexing a muscle she’d always had but never thought to use, Niobe raised a great wall of ice before the avalanche, halting most of the snow and shifting the rest clear of the resort!
She didn’t see the full of it. What seemed so easy at first strained her so much she fainted and fell off the rock.
“It runs in our family,” Gabriel explained when she woke the next day. “It always skips generations. It’s always accompanied by some form of usually minor mental instability--my schizophrenia's a little on the harsh side compared to your ADHD, but nothing modern medicine can’t handle. During World War Two, our grandmother donned the mantle of Mariah to fight crime on the home front with the power of the wind. We suspect her grandfather fought for the Union during the civil war using biomagnetic powers like mine. It seems you have the gift too.”
He offered her a blue half mask adorned with crystal snowflakes. “Shall we see what you’re capable of, Winterstar?”

Intelligence: 2 2r
Strength: 2 2r
Agility: 3 1w
Speed: 2 2r
Durability: 3 3w
Subtotal 6w

Acrobatics 3 1w
Black Ops 2 1w
- Covert Ops
- Bribery/Blackmail
Close Combat 3 1w
- Martial Arts
- Kickboxing
-
Social Skills 5 3w
-
-
-
-
-
Subtotal 6w

Mastery of Cold 6 12w
- Immune to effects of element (+1 CL)
- Create/Manipulate element (+1 CL)
- Ice Blast (+1 CL)
Psi-Weapon 5 9w
Flight 4 3w
- From Ice Mastery (-1 CL)
Toughness 4 6w
Subtotal 30w

Wealth 4 2w

Being a mutant -3w
Looking non-human -2w
Psychological -1w

Total 38w

Finish up with your specializations and you are good.

Character profile thread going up in a few moments.

Basically yes.

the reasons are this

Original character.
If there is ever a need to revisit totals then you still have a baseline to go off of, it helps prove cheating and not cheating in case someone decides to be an asshat (lets face it it happens and in a game like this where balance is secondary you would not believe the number of times this becomes useful)

Current character
because you have to have something to play off of

LOE/Change
You will have numbers thrown at you in this game if you do not keep track of them it will become very difficult to understand how something happened it also helps with audits as seen in original.

Journal
Because the LOE system is actually just that Lines of experience it is best to detail your character's adventures. I do not remember where but in the books it uses an example of wolverine having to fight underwater and incurring a -2 penalty because he never has fought underwater before, which is mitigated when the player is able to prove that they actually have. The journal also helps with character development and to keep track/reference how your characters personality is progressing.

Thanks thinking about the following.

Anna Scott
Abilities
Intelligence: 6(4WS)
Strenght: 2(2rs)
Agility: 2(2rs)
Speed: 2(2rs)
Durability: 3(3WS)
==WS TOTAL:9WS

Actions
Close Combat: 1(1rs)
-MMA
Combat Ranged: 1(1rs)
-Handgun
General Knowledge(+1 cost): 1(2rs)
-Politics
Social Skills: 3(1WS)
-Streetwise
-Persuasion
-Blue Collar
Technology: 1 (2rs)
==WS TOTAL:3WS

Modifiers
Bad Luck (+6 cost): 7(30WS)
Reflexive Dodge (+3 cost): 3 (4WS)
==WS TOTAL:34WS

Wealth: 0 (Broke) (WS0)

Mutant: (3WS)
Conflicting Interests: (3WS) (Family)
==WS TOTAL:-6WS

Anna was born into a family with deep anti-mutant sentiments they passively supported more or less every anti-mutant non-terrorist cause that came there way, from financially support to engaging in marches and picketing pro-mutant businesses.
Despite the families leanings Anna had a good life and was loved by her parents and siblings, in her early teenage years her intellect began to shine through and she started going on debates arguing that mutants were a menace and making her family proud.

She was on the fast track for a while winning debates with ease, her opponents slipping up and forgetting words and coming across as moranic - she was something of a golden child for the movement showing who stupid mutants and there supporters were.

Than her world was shattered - in a debate with a prominant mutant sympathiser in a live hall the woman slipped on her words multiple times, and than actually fell off the stage as she tried to give her counterpoint to Anna (to laughs from some in the audience).

The raw unlikeliness of this level of poor luck attracted attention from powerful people in the anti-mutant lobby - she taking out of her house against the begging of her parents and than subjected to investigation from equipment that kept breaking due to overlooked issues until finally an expert was able to get a read and confirm that she was infact what she had spoken against.

Suddenly she was a target within a room for extermination - these people were far above her parents more passive approach - but with guns jamming and misfiring she was able to run and escape.

Since than she has been living hand to mouth afraid of returning to her family in case they turn her over, but not blaming them and mostly blaming herself for being impure - a large part of her wants to support them and remembers how they tried to protect her even when others told them she might be tainted.

Living on the streets she has learned that her body seems to respond to danger without any real warning from her and that anything opposing her seems to merely fail most of the time - allowing her to undertake virtually anything she wants ... which to date has been keeping a low profile.

Thinking it could be fun to play someone whose primary power is to just make even the best people frequently fail at simply tasks against an unskilled novice who isn't even trying.

Thinking it could be fun to play someone whose primary power is to just make even the best people frequently fail at simple tasks

I'll take "people not to trust a fart around" for 500, Alex.

The only issue is they will not fail like that they will fail by one stone due to circumstances.

Yea I was considering that for the ways things failed.

Having a word on the tip of your tongue and not being able to deliver it is bad luck in a debate, but it is not the only bit of bad luck that could happen so had the fall cover it (turns to Anna and catches a foot on a podium for example). All perfectly possible but for someone who is a professional debator on wider stages it causes alarms to go off in some minds.

Similiarly with equipment being faulty, or electric surges going off etc preventing the initial identification are poor luck but eventually someone would get the requisite 8 stones together to have an absolute confirmation (not that high a hurdle but for a simple test not one that the effort might normally be but into).

Than the jammings and misfires - again some guns jam, not a major issue normally bit of bad luck but when trained people suffer one at at crucial moment and than someone bumps into someone else ruining a shot etc it starts to mount up.

Similiarly if someone was looking for her (without her knowledge) and needed to identify a street sign and a bird happened to see there eye as shiny and attack - will make you fail to read a sign, but to fail at such a task something out of the ordinary needs to happen.

But I am not sure if I have how it would operate correctly (was tempted to take the modifier 'Automatically causes collateral damage' to have it screw with everyone around her, making her a walking disaster zone - but felt that would only annoy other players or yourself, unless we said that collateral damage did not target allies or enemies).

Automatically causes collateral damage.

The best way to do that if someone is attacking you is x player got in the way... yeah not a good idea not at all. Or they go and read the street sign blowing a tire and running over a young child ect.... Not a good idea for what amounts to probability manipulation.

Remember this only takes away from what is in an action box it will not let you succeed any better.

Sure - considered taking Good Luck instead to just be great at nearly anything she tried (would have taken both if it was possible), but felt it was more interesting to have her be fairly average but also fairly untouchable.

If she starts getting into business it could be fun to watch the chaos on the stockmarket from competing companies - was initially going that route but thought it made a better story to see if she goes there.

For the success element yea when nothing opposes her she is somewhat out of luck - but punching someone would still take some of their defence actions dice away (assuming they don't have a high degree of defence) so against regular people when she is staying away from things she would likely have no issues (act as a waitress for some cash lucky that the existing waitress got sick that day - move on, take a job stacking shelves in a library after the manager knocks over a bookcase and would take in anyone, move on, see about an underground fight ring if really short on cash) ... against highly trained agents and superheroes she might however be firmly out of luck a lot (where your previous example of Hawkeye would spend 1 for 9 he would miss with her reflexive dodge, but if he spent 3 for 11 he would hit her for 8 unless she actively took some defence).

Happy for me to post in the Character Profiles section?

Sure if you want. I will also let your background stand but remember that there is a range for your powers (you at the very least have to be in the presence of the thing which your direct your luck at) and just because someone fails does not mean you immediately succeed. I.E. if you start doing debates now that are pro-mutant you will not win over many supporters because the difficulty for them has increased and no matter how much your opponent slips up that will only prove what they are thinking further increasing the base difficulty your character has to meet in order to succeed.

Sure - nice thing about the modifer is it is not controlled by me which might create some interesting scenarios.
Rules wise against a standard person with 1 in durability they would have issue maintaining an indebth debate over a long term with someone who has more than 1 in durability - but I suspect that you might not have that many perfectly normal people to compete with.

I would like there to be some bad luck that occurs around her for NPCs as just some flavour - but I will leave that to your discretion.

Seems that if you double post it amends the previous post, so will need to have a post on the character sheet page before I can post the edit sheet.

Actually, it is controlled by you. It is not an action but it does not simply start firing on people who have a negative thought about you. You must control it and define whom it affects. If you want something like that we can do it as you not having full control yet.

Yeah it does I did not count on that oh well we can simply do everything off of one sheet. For a roleplaying site this place leaves much to be desired.

Liliths, I was able to do it, but just had to make sure they weren't consecutive posts.

Back
Top Bottom