Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

MURPG

lilithsboy

Star
I would like to see about playing (or GMing if no one else wants to though I would like to play) an MURPG game. If you are not familiar with this game it is a diceless Marvel game that lends itself well to play by post particularly on here since there is no on-site rolling.

I would prefer to be able to play OC and have this be adult in some fashion but please let me know what people want.

Okay first thing I see on both character sheets you must have at least 1 in social skills or statecraft.

Second, thing I need to see are specializations. These are areas within something which your character is particularly skilled above what others normally can do. Such as the social skill teenager (means you are better at talking to teenagers than someone without that skill). Many of your actions do require them.

(Optional) Third I noticed neither of you took challenges these not only make the character slightly more interesting but give you more buying power.

(addon) everyone careful of ability modifiers they do not actually increase AN but let you put more stones into an action. AN go directly against Difficulty (if you do not have the an you cannot possibly do some actions no matter how high your ability to spend Difficulty is never hidden and you can always ask if your character thinks something is possible.) Stones in an action go towards beating the resistance (a usually hidden and sometimes changing number which will be compared to see if you succeed)

kckolbe

your math looks fairly solid but you forgot life support unless you want this thing open air at which point you are vulnerable to people firing at you and not just the armor. (personally I would take the 2w for infinite life support and be done with it since you have 2&1 left.)

Cuke

1. I see you have a +1 on your telepathy what did you pick for it?
2. Telepathy reduces the cost of TK so that is a 6 instead of a 9
3. Black ops has a +1 so instead of being a 1 it is actually a 3.
4. Your equipment is well within the wealth rating of your character neither of those pieces are particularly customized and therefore are yours for free.

As it stands I have you clocked at 24 even.

Neveranium

The numbers next to origins are simply listing much like I have done above those are not free stones.

You may of course rename any action just put something like

Nova Corps spec ops combat training (as ninja) 3 9w

Oh and I do apologize for the late update I wanted to make sure I could double check my own math.

I wanted to hold off on specializations until I was about done. As for challenges, I have one in mind related to concussions, but still working on it.

I don't see where it says I can be targeted without life support, just that I would be open to the environment, so things like poison gas.

Also, I mentioned some concerns in a PM to you, but I'll mention them here.

1) Inventing is VERY expensive, and I don't see my char being able to invent anything worthwhile without having no points left over for the actual suit.

2) Kinda related to #1, but using Iron Man as a guide is impossible, as he appears to be built with a couple hundred points. I'm not sure just how viable this char is. Using Thing seems a bit more feasible, and seems to fit my desired role better (only wanting a bit more staying power than clobbering power), but I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

3) Having a weapon just grants a bonus to combat skill without spending energy stones in the action, right?

1. Yes it is it is also considered one of the more game-breaking powers when abused it literally allows you to do anything and do it in such a manner that you do not have to spend your own stones for it. It is also something you do not absolutely have to have (war machine dosnt) but not having it can be a problem

2. Iron-Man cost 165 and 1r Thing 85 2r you are allowed to work your character however you wish.

3. The stones from the weapon modifier are free yes. But some weapons enable an action (cannot use range combat without an item that allows it) also remember for close it is either weapon modifier or ability bonus.

Okay concerning open to the environment what it basically means is your suit is more of something like an exoskeleton where you will be visible. Think in the comics when Tony loses life support at minimum this means he has to open up his helmet to get air. Being open to the environment will make you vulnerable to most things at that point your suit will act as a defensive modifier as opposed to being the only target. Of course, someone could attack the suit as they wished. Life support allows you the ability to fully close yourself off so that nothing can get through until the armor is dealt with.

I think I'll pass on inventing then, and just finance development. Hell have enough tech to operate it though. Speaking of which, 1 tech plus 4 intelligence would be the minimum to operate it right?

I think I like the idea of my char being target able in combat, especially since he isn't frail. After all, he would get a hefty defensive bonus to be hit. By the way, that means that all it costs to keep your human form safe in combat is 1r, which is insanely cheap. It costs 2w to be safe at all times when suited, and also be immune to any Chem warfare, which is also insanely cheap. How much of a penalty is it to bypass armor and hit the person directly?

Submitting a draft of a sheet

Int: 4 (2w)
Str: 3 (1w)
Agi: 3 (1w)
Spd: 3 (1w)
Dur: 4 (6w)
11w

ACTIONS
Shadow of the Ten (Ninja): 6 (20w)
- Assassination
- Hiding
- Moving Silently
- Weaponry
- Silent Killing
- Surveillance

Acrobatics: 5 (3w)
(Agility Bonus)

Black Ops: 3 (2w)
- Assassination
- Covert Operations
- Pursuit

Concentration: 4 (6w)

Telepathy: 4 (2w)
(Intelligence Bonus)
- Telephatic Communications

Teleportation: 3 (3w)

MODIFIERS
Appearance: Alien, ash skin, pointed ears, black eyes
Mute
Wealth (-1)

CHALLENGES
Looking non-human (3w)
Vulnerable to fire (?w)
Can't use any kind of tech (?w)
Mute (4w)
Can't use teleportation when on fire or close to source of extreme heat (?w)

Haven't dropped any resources on equipment yet because I'm unsure of how many stones I get from his challenges.

Neveranium, taking a stab at this. I know nothing about your ninja ability, though, which is the majority of your char. Does it include close combat or ranged combat? I feel you will need at least one of those.

Telepathy doesn't come with the intelligence bonus or communications. Both of those raise the price.

Mutant is a challenge by itself, not sure if your char is one, though. Speaking of challenges, your one regarding teleportation would be a disadvantage to teleportation, not a challenge.

Not crunch related, but I would talk to Cuke since you both have Telepathy. Just a suggestion, and not a biggie since it doesn't seem to be a major part of your concept, which I wouldn't mind learning more about.

The ninja ability could be used as either close or ranged combat.

Among the options for Telepathy would be giving it an intelligence bonus, however I'm not sure how it translates to AN. At first I only wanted to give a 1 or 2 solely for communication (which is among the options), but I want to pump that up for Unassisted Telepathy (something I have yet to understand), which has a rating of 4 for a success (I think) so i decided to spend some more on for intelligence bonus to give him a hand.

As for the teleportation, I agree in that it seems more a disadvantage to the ability. However, I'm not sure how it affects the cost.

I am always up for character discussions, thank you by the way for your thoughts on mine. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal with him having Telepathy as well considering how that's his race's way of communicating. But of course I am open to talks and tweaks regarding it if it seems off for Cuke.

Neveranium said:
Among the options for Telepathy would be giving it an intelligence bonus, however I'm not sure how it translates to AN. At first I only wanted to give a 1 or 2 solely for communication (which is among the options), but I want to pump that up for Unassisted Telepathy (something I have yet to understand), which has a rating of 4 for a success (I think) so i decided to spend some more on for intelligence bonus to give him a hand.
Buying an int bonus and comms ability with telepathy would make it cost 7w for a rating of 4. I'll let our GM advise you on if it is a good idea, but it doesn't seem necessary for such a minor ability.

I would say the fire one would be a one level disadvantage to teleportation at most, and would depend on what qualifies as extreme heat. Most likely, though, it's something that would just be included in your fire vulnerability.

And I only recommended you talk to Cuke since you might come up with good ideas on how your chars treat your telepathy.

Vulnerability to fire is 4 (it is fairly common but not present every day this will likely come up but will not be an every issue thing so this works for me.)

Weaponry does not work as a specialization for ninja which even states that you have to take weapon specializations by type.

Please tell me what ability you go off for your Ninja.

Teleportation being lost when in fire or around extreme heat follows :Temporarily deactivated by a specific element/material a -1cl it does not give stones

For communications with a willing host even a 1 is sufficient up to a range of 4 (500 yards) the only reason to increase the number is for unwilling targets or attempting to read minds.

Okay I have some questions of my own about yours.

1. What qualifies as tech?

2. At what temperature does your teleportation deactivate?

Your telepaty has not factored in the int bonus or the communications yet so that needs to be ranked higher.

Okay, here we go. Eric Blair is a former NFL wide receiver who had significant success due to his combination of amazing physical abilities and high intelligence. He was the premier player on his team and was considered an exceptional leader. Not only was he the highest paid receiver in the league, endorsements rolled in. Had he played a full career, he could have broken just about every relevant record. Unfortunately, he didn't play a full career. Concussions and joint injuries took a huge toll on the famously gifted player, and he was forced to retire with almost a decade of "life" still left in him.

Unwilling to accept that his career was over, Eric took his significant resources and started a company focused on athletic gear. Not just shoes and t-shirts, but helmets, pads, joint braces, things that could preserve an NFL career, or maybe resurrect one. Unfortunately, Eric wouldn't play in the NFL again. Financially, though, it was a huge success, and the league not only contracted with him, but advertised from for free. The PR was just too good. There were also other breakthroughs, though, like micro-hydraulics that could turn a simple joint brace into a huge strength amplifier. Or materials that could absorb amazing shocks and stop bullets. They were way too expensive, but what if he found another use for them?

Intelligence 4 2w
Strength 2 2r
Agility 3 1w
Speed 3 1w
Durability 3 3w
Subtotal 7w, 2r

Acrobatics 2 2r (AN+0) (Strength Bonus)
Business Skills 3 1w (AN+0) (Intelligence Bonus)
Close Combat 3 1w (AN+0) (Strength Bonus)
-Powered Armor
-Pro Wrestling
-Kickboxing
Ranged Combat 3 1w (AN+0) (Laser Beam Bonus)
-Powered Armor
-Energy Weapon
-Firearms
Gen Knowledge 2 1w (AN+1) (Intelligence Bonus)
Leadership 3 1w (AN+0)
Social Skills 4 2w (AN+0)
-Persuasion
-Motivation
-Sports Fans
-?
Technology 3 2w (AN+1)
Wealth 7 6w (rating grants free white stones for weapons/mods)
Subtotal 15w, 2r

Powered Armor
Intelligence 4 1w
Strength 7 3w
Agility 4 1w
Speed 4 1w
Durability 7 9w
Subtotal 15w

Laser Beam 6 4w (AN+0)
Range 4, 2x damage
Close Combat 2 1r (AN-1)
Ranged Combat 2 1r (AN-1)
Subtotal 4w, 2r

Free Mods/Weapons (Value Equal to Wealth Rating)
Toughness 5 6w (AN+1) (+1 to nullify armor pen)
Collapsible 1w

Challenges:
Hearing aid 1w
Chronic Migraines 2w (pain, blurred vision, difficulty focusing)
Knee/ankle braces 1w (-2 agility, -1 speed without them, separate from suit)
Subtotal -4w

Total 39w

I know I spent a lot more on his char abilities than I maybe should have, but I really liked that angle. I would like to buy some special gear for him, but not sure how much I can spend without lowering his wealth rating.

Also, would still like to know how hard it is to target him when he is in the suit.

Concept-wise he is kind of an all-purpose bruiser. He can't fly, but has the speed and acrobatics to make up ground. He's harder to hit than most "tanks," and can dole out a couple of red stones (which he has a LOT of) to teammates, or just spend a ton in one panel for a "big play."

Got it.

I was using Elektra as a reference for the Ninja ability and it says 'Weaponry' as a specialization, I'm now thinking it means both close and ranged combat her weapons given how high the action number is.

Aah..I see.

1. Tech I suppose would be literally anything that involves doing anything beyond using a simple machine to operate (levers, pulleys, etc.). His race doesn't rely on machinery to do their work.
2. It deactivates at around 100°c, maybe more to make it a reasonable challenge.

I think I see the problem now, I factored in the intelligence bonus and the telephatic communication in the action number. I originally only gave it a 1 which would give it the 2w I have listed from the additional cost levels, yes?

kckolbe

I would like everything finished before assigning him a defense bonus due to the suit. Some math is off now

The energy weapon you are showing (Laser beam) has an CL-1+2 for 2x and then you subtract 1 w for dropping the range to 4.

So 5-1+2=6 and a cl 6 is 4w-1 so that cost 3.

General Knowledge requires specialty.

3 is generally considered human maximum (except where int is concerned) but then again there is so much wonky stuff in Marvel he may simply be something and no one including him knows it. If you do not mind me playing around with him later in game.

Because of the above change to your energy weapon my math is showing you at 40w (which means you are perfectly spent if you like the character this way)

I am thinking of giving him free stones equal to half his Toughness rounded up, because it seems you liked the exoskeleton idea and ran with it ruffly half his body is covered in my head at least. The reason I am rounding up is because of the no armor pen you bought. That will actually transfer over as well when hit with a penetrating attack these 3 free stones in defense will not be ignored

You can let that social special float till you decide something adequate but please note you will have to add the special during down time not in the middle of a scene.

Neveranium

(going straight to tech)

That is going to be a major phobia for it that is a 4 or maybe even a 5, please note elevators, computers, even vehicles will be difficult for it to use.

Now Ninja.

Yes if you notice she has a 7 AN but only 6 listed specialties that is because 2 are used for that one

100c 212f seems like a reasonable one for me and does garner the challenge.

Okay noted and no an ability does not increase the actual AN

So I have a RP question for you if your character cannot make use of any tech how did it get here?

That is going to be a major phobia for it that is a 4 or maybe even a 5, please note elevators, computers, even vehicles will be difficult for it to use.

Yes, although if given instructions I think he would be able to perform at the minimal level, just generally unreliable with tech alone because by principle, he wouldn't use them for himself so the idea of learning how to use them isn't in his head.

Yes if you notice she has a 7 AN but only 6 listed specialties that is because 2 are used for that one

Understood.

100c 212f seems like a reasonable one for me and does garner the challenge.

Okay noted and no an ability does not increase the actual AN

I'll make the adjustments.

So I have a RP question for you if your character cannot make use of any tech how did it get here?

He's sent by the elder beings of his people to find worthy allies.

I had 3w as the cost on my sheet, which is what you came up with as well. Why would I be at 40?

I'll have to think about whether I want to make him a low level mutant or just lower those to 3. I'd thought 4 was the ideal, so didn't really have a cool idea explaining it. If I did go mutant he kinda seems like Beast Light, less exceptional but without the appearance issue. Imagine how controversial his records would be if it were discovered he was a mutant though.

Glad you like the char. Really appreciate that.

kckolbe said:
I had 3w as the cost on my sheet, which is what you came up with as well. Why would I be at 40?

I'll have to think about whether I want to make him a low level mutant or just lower those to 3. I'd thought 4 was the ideal, so didn't really have a cool idea explaining it. If I did go mutant he kinda seems like Beast Light, less exceptional but without the appearance issue. Imagine how controversial his records would be if it were discovered he was a mutant though.

Glad you like the char. Really appreciate that.

Sorry I was in a hurry last time and discovered I was at a higher score than you I figured it was the complicated formula for calculating energy weapons that was the problem instead it was just a miscalculation of your actions. The number in brackets will be the total you have 1 more than your paper shows.

Acrobatics 1 (1r) [1r]

Business Skills 3 (1w) [1 1r]

Close combat 3 (1w) [2 1r]

Ranged combat 3 (1w) [3 1r]

Gen Knowledge 2 (1w) [4 1r]

Leadership 3 (1w) [5 1r]

Social Skills 4 (2w) [7 1r]

Technology 3 (2w) [9 1r]

Wealth 7 (6w) [15 1r]

So before I present a new draft, I'll say that I built the last one with a custom program made for this game, so I don't have the best understanding of costs.

Intelligence 3 1w
Strength 2 2r
Agility 2 2r
Speed 3 1w
Durability 3 3w
Subtotal 6w, 1r

Telekinesis 7 15w
-Intelligence bonus

Telepathy 6 9w
-Intelligence bonus
-Can project thoughts/control others

Acrobatics 4 2w
-Agility bonus

Close Combat 3 1w
-Hand-to-Hand
-Martial Arts
-Knife fighting
-Agility bonus

Ranged Combat 3 1w
-Handguns
-Sub-machine guns
-Knife throwing
-Agility bonus

Black Ops/Spying 4 1w
-Assassination
-Covert Operations
-Infiltration
-Interrogation

Thieving 3
-Stealing
-Blending in
-Shadowing
-Agility Bonus

Wealth 2 2r

Subtotal
33w

Challenges:
Psychological issues: Paranoia, Self-Imposed Sensory Deprivation (2w)

Intended Cost: 39w

Okay you must have social skills or statecraft on any character.

Now your black ops is priced too low should be a 3

And your Thieving does not show a price should be 1

But your subtotal is 39 and then you will remove 2 stones from that so your actual price is 37

If you are using the program I think you are then it is great for a general idea but there are some problems with certain pricing just make sure what is listed matches the books.

Apologies. The version of the rules that I have don't state that this Action was mandatory to take, nor was Statecraft mentioned anywhere.

I will give the character a Social Skills of 3. Specializations are Spy Culture, Underworld and Streetwise.

Edited my sheet and kept him human. I'm getting 39 even, which seems wrong, but I counted it multiple times.

Submitting an incomplete sheet because I have questions for equipment and a modifier

Int: 4 (2w)
Str: 3 (1w)
Agi: 3 (1w)
Spd: 3 (1w)
Dur: 4 (6w)
11w

ACTIONS
Shadows of the Ten (Ninja): 6 (20w)
- Assassination
- Hiding
- Moving Silently
- Bow and Arrow
- Silent Takedown
- Hand-to-hand

Acrobatics: 5 (3w)
(Agility Bonus)

Black Ops: 3 (2w)
- Surveillance
- Covert Operations
- Pursuit

Concentration: 3 (4w)

Telepathy: 1 (2w)
(Intelligence Bonus)
- Telepathic Communications

Teleportation: 3 (2w)
- Can't use when near source of extreme heat or on fire

Social Skills: 2 (2r)
- Etiquette
- Shadows of the Ten Protocol

MODIFIERS
Appearance: Alien, ash skin, pointed ears, black eyes
Mute
Wealth (-1)
Enhanced Vision: ?
- See in Darkness
- Telescopic/Keen Eyesight ?

CHALLENGES
Looking non-human (3w)
Vulnerable to fire (4w)
Can't use any kind of tech (4w)
Mute (4w)

Total cost 44w 2r

So questions:
- How does the modifier number affect seeing in darkness?
- Would all specialties be subject to the same modifier number?
- How does Hawkeye's Keen Eyesight differ from Telescopic as an option for the modifier?

- Hawkeye's quiver (3 bows and 36 arrows) costs 1w by itself, how much would a smaller version cost, i.e. holds one bow and twenty arrows?
- What's the guideline for customized ammunition (arrows in this case)?

Cuke

Check page 58 in the comments section of social skills. Statecraft appears in Hulk and the Avengers. But yep that works that character is done.

kckolbe

When I did your character out again I got 40
The reason being is that your increases to your power armor cause it to cost 20 2r while your abilities cost 7 2r and your wealth and actions cost 15 2r (adding those 2rs together gets you 2w) So 20+7+9+2-4=40

(note you increased your energy weapon from a 5 to a six so it is showing the wrong cost and should be a 5 now)

Neveranium

The modifier number is basically free stones and yes once you take enhanced vision all items purchased go into the same stat (these are not free each one chosen causes the price to go up) In particular see in darkness will allow you to not only see through darkness but if someone tries to use shadows to hide in or something similar then you will get these stones added to your total for fee to automatically see them.

Hawkeyes keen eyesight allows for him to pick out details others would miss it does not allow him to basically zoom in on an object.

This is going to sound strange but Ammo is not normally tracked in MURPG meaning the number of arrows in this cause is largely superfluous and there just to give an idea of when he probably should be running out. The pricing there is because of the versatility of the quiver and what all it can do. Do not treat it as ammon and treat it as a normal item. In this case.

Highly versitie +1
Prvides own stones +3
Takes a pannel of prep to change heads -1
3 Cl= 1w

While you have to use some common sense (you cannot have an infinte number of heads and shafts at this price though I could make one one that does) the actual number of arrows means nothing.

I see. Some advising, then. Considering how the longbow has a maximum range of 500 yards (by the handbook), would being able to hit a target that far be considered part of the ranged combat training or would the Telescopic ability be required for it to be plausible, or would that require something else like Targeting or other modifiers entirely?

What does 'provides own stones' mean exactly? I don't have to spend reds on it while in use?

Also, the reason why I wanted to ask about customizing arrows would be because I want to add modifiers to them. Specifically, indestructible and armor piercing.

Part of your training as long as you have the specialty.

Adds own stones means this (using hawkeye)

Hawkeye spends 1r into his Range combat gets a +4 from his targeting and can choose which bow he wants he chooses the compuond and the sonic arrow (because he can only use one Weapon modifier the bow+2 or the Arrow +4 he chooses the arrow)

So hawkeye shoots for 9 by spending one stone. (8 of those are what is called free stones when you make an item you get to choose if it adds free stones or not in this case the quiver does and adds a lot of them). So while you still have to spend reds to activate the power you can do far more than what it would seem would be allowed.

Getting the type of arrow you wanted would be easier by having vibranium arrows or something similar. (light weight enough to fly, very hard to dmg, and cuts through nearly anything)

You have no wealth rating so anything like that you would have to spend stones on or you could join an organization with the wealth to buy them for you since it would probably be in the teams best interest.

Holy crap, 9 for 1? That's insane. I haven't really touched up on how combat works in detail so that's pretty crazy for me.

Perhaps an alloy native to his planet with similar attributes is more fitting.

Well he is involved in an organization, the Shadows, but considering it's an alien group out of reach (for him), I think their capacity to provide equipment for him is just a one time thing - when he was sent on his assignment. Adding in a wealth rating solely to cover his equipment would make sense but how would that measure up in terms of stone cost?

Back
Top Bottom