Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last Movie You Saw...

Monster Hunter....not that great, but it existed I guess.
Was Milla Jovovich once again all that stood between good and evil, or did they make her character less "Chosen One-esque" for that film?

I haven't heard good things about the film but after hearing she was the lead, I opted to completely pass. Resident Evil was worse with her character, and the films aren't that good to begin with.

Was Milla Jovovich once again all that stood between good and evil, or did they make her character less "Chosen One-esque" for that film?

I haven't heard good things about the film but after hearing she was the lead, I opted to completely pass. Resident Evil was worse with her character, and the films aren't that good to begin with.

She was definitely made into a special one able to adapt quickly, only survivor, learned everything necessary and aced better than the one who had been there longer so yep. Pretty much.

Coraline. Although it usually is the last movie I saw because I fall asleep to it. A more recent film I would have to say The Hobbit.

Bad Ben (2016)
So you can watch this movie two ways, and both are fairly enjoyable. First, is the traditional, found footage horror type stuff that usually depends on how well a person can act like they're not acting. This guy isn't bad.
The second way (Prax recommends) is to watch this like it's a movie about a guy wandering around an empty house, playing with security camera footage and beating himself up.

6/10

Conan The Barbarian, the 1982 version. Loved every minute of it.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009). Follows a lot of the same beats as the 2011 version, except the newer, English version is definitely more polished. Although I like Rooney Mara and what she did with the character, Noomi Rapace added a level of emotion and subtle body language to Salander that made her feel more like a real person.

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
I know, I know -- a classic like this and I'm just now watching it. Cut me some slack, I got a late start.
It was engaging and interesting the entire runtime. Very ambitious dream sequences and the like that really cement this one as so many people's favorites.

See it, if you haven't.

Zack Snyder's Justice League. I'm glad I never bothered watching the previous one. And after taking shit by friends for remaining a DC fan these years, I'm happy to see that we could have gotten something far better than Marvel ever produced if the execs hadn't fucked it up. Pretty sad some of the movies were cancelled, especially the batman movie written and directed by Affleck. I'd have loved to see him adapt The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, as an older batman.

The Girl Who Played With Fire (2010). Another in the Sweden produced Lisbeth Salander films. Not as compelling as Dragon Tattoo. It felt like a bit of a disconnected mess. Although the first film had two separate tracks moving in the same direction simultaneously, it was helped with cohesion by eventually having Salander and Blomkvist team up. In Played With Fire, they never team up. It feels like they're both on separate tracks doing their own thing. I'm not sure if that distance between them is what specifically made it feel disjointed to me, storywise, or if it could have worked better if there was more focused direction in both their separated tracks.

Artemis Fowl. I kinda enjoyed it, I'll be sad if they don't make another but I went through that already with Percy Jackson. Before that it was Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children. And they probably won't make another of those too. :(

The Flintstones (1994)
It's nice to see movies where you can tell a lot of work, care and effort went into making the world seem alive. With a franchise like the Flintstones, and a town like Bedrock (😎), that work really went down to the fundamental level. Considering a lot of this movie was filmed with practical effects and on, what appears to be, a very large movie set -- it's incredible how alive and genuine they made it all feel.

John Goodman? Yes. Kyle MacLachlan? Yes please! Rick Moranis?! That's a fun time no matter how you slice it.

So I finally checked out Venom for myself and... yeah, it was just OK. It wasn't fantastic, wasn't necessarily memorable, and the action sequences were average. It didn't do anything special, and the pacing of the story was shit in a couple places without a doubt. All the deaths that were supposed to mean something to him were glossed over or completely ignored. And it needed an R-rating; you don't bite heads off and keep it PG-13.

Back
Top Bottom