Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pathfinder (CLOSED)

kckolbe

Banned
Banished
I am currently setting up a pathfinder game running the Crimson Throne Adventure Path. Due to a couple of drops, we find ourselves with only three players (and me), and, to be a touch coarse, a lack of women interested in men.

This is not a smut heavy game, but I have found that group games on adult sites run a little more smoothly when everyone feels that smut has more potential to happen. Below is the original post. Please PM me or post here if you are interested. I do not care about the gender of the player, just the character.

Hello folks. I am interested in running the Crimson Throne adventure path. I am looking for a small group of active participants for this. As with all my games, I enjoy seeing a lot of discussion regarding characters and how they know each other, feel about each other, etc. I don't require class "roles" to be filled, but I don't want people designing chars without trying to consider what works with the other chars being worked on.

If interested, let me know what kind of campaigns you enjoy, any preferences regarding character types (not mechanical), posting frequency/length, and anything else you want to include.

RE: Pathfinder (Opening for 1-2 female chars)

Char sheet looks good so far. Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the tail, since she would always have the tail given that lesser shape change is really just a "makeup" spell.

She's very young, so I am guessing that the experiment was headed by someone she trusted rather than her own project.

Disguise self is makeup, alter self does have actual shapeshifting to it and would be able to hide the tail, she just loses use of the tail when disguised as a human.

Yes, I was thinking that because of the partial mental fusion she lost a lot of her memories and due to the pain of it all at the time, panicked and ran, and now she's just been running ever since.

Oh, we start at level 2 btw. Noticed the summoner is at level 1 atm.

Oh, she also has no feats, I'll fix that in a bit...

How many feats do I get at first level, just the one?

EDIT: Updated the sheet, now level 2, with feats included, just need gear and finalizing backstory now.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=883511

Yes, just 1 feat at first level.

And just to confirm, the tail is fully gone when she changes? Aside from the tail, have any ideas what she looks like in her new form? I am thinking tiefling-ish.

Tiefling-ish, skin a weird melding between dark blue and purple coloration though, and eyes an unnaturally bright blue colour. I was figuring when disguised as a human the tail would be fully gone, though she might also disguise herself as a tiefling to retain the use of the tail on occasion as the campaign goes in and she grows more comfortable with her self and abilities.

Kaybee said:
Tiefling-ish, skin a weird melding between dark blue and purple coloration though, and eyes an unnaturally bright blue colour. I was figuring when disguised as a human the tail would be fully gone, though she might also disguise herself as a tiefling to retain the use of the tail on occasion as the campaign goes in and she grows more comfortable with her self and abilities.

All right. So I'll make you an offer. You can, with lesser shape change, have two forms you shift between and nothing else, but not have to "renew" it, or have to recast the spell every time the duration wears off (and have to make int checks to do it before the spell ends) or you can keep it as is.

Why would I have to make Int checks, to keep track of the time?

Because it is hard to keep track of exactly x number of minutes while doing other things, meaning you either waste time by renewing it early, or accidentally let it run out.

I feel like that's sort of unfairly limiting to that particular racial power, I mean, I would only get like six forms anyways since I can only assume one form for each humanoid race, and even while it acts said a spell, it functions as an innate ability, so really all she'd need to do is focus on the form she wants to take and stay focused on it rather than remembering to upkeep it every few minutes.

I mean, if you think it's overpowered as an ability for her to have then fine, I accept that and I'd be willing to see about switching to another power or lowering the RP cost of the power maybe?

That or I can drop the custom race entirely and play a half elf as I was planning earlier on...

I don't feel that the ability is particularly overpowered, but that you are trying to get more out of it than is feasible. Also, I think it dilutes an already complicated character identity, which I see as a negative.

You are welcome to switch to another power, and it is also possible to build a half elf exactly as the book has them (10 RP) or tweak it.

See, to me the shapeshifter bit is sort of important because it relates to the character arc I've been developing as I write up the character. At first it's a tool, a way for her to hide what she's become not just from the world but also from herself, as she can look in the mirror and pretend that she isn't having to concentrate all the time just to keep from reverting into that not-quite-human form the experiment gave her. I was thinking that as the game went on and she ends up getting more and more into this adventuring life (gromnar and I have been discussing how that could have happened), summoning more and coming to terms with not just the eidolon that the experiment bonded to her but also her own transformations she would become more and more accustomed to it, and able mentally to cope with taking on other forms and embracing her new self rather than trying to pretend that everything is as it was before the experiment that shattered her memories and her life. It's a coming of age story in a way, hence why she's so young.

But part of what's integral to that is the broad shapeshifting ability, and if we take that away or nerf it into effective uselessness it re-writes quite a bit of her story and I feel like it would make it significantly less interesting. Either she loses the broader shapeshifting ability and with it a lot of the potential for character growth from becoming comfortable not just with her new normal form but also with taking on other forms. Or she has to make constant rolls that make it so that -translating mechanics into fluff- she would be terrified of going outside at all due to the risk of forgetting once and reverting in the middle of a crowd, effectively destroying any courage that might have allowed her to stick with the adventuring life.

How about a compromise, instead of Int checks all the time to remember to switch back, how about wisdom checks to maintain her concentration on her human form when things would potentially cause her to lose focus? Would that be fair? Or am I overstepping my bounds, because I really like this character concept and I feel like your proposed changes to her abilities would kinda destroy her...

Kaybee said:
Or she has to make constant rolls that make it so that -translating mechanics into fluff- she would be terrified of going outside at all due to the risk of forgetting once and reverting in the middle of a crowd, effectively destroying any courage that might have allowed her to stick with the adventuring life.

But bear in mind that I find *this* interesting as part of the arc that you proposed.

Kaybee said:
How about a compromise, instead of Int checks all the time to remember to switch back, how about wisdom checks to maintain her concentration on her human form when things would potentially cause her to lose focus? Would that be fair? Or am I overstepping my bounds, because I really like this character concept and I feel like your proposed changes to her abilities would kinda destroy her...

I am okay with Wis instead of Int checks. I'll still want a primary form that she gets +2 to checks with, and -2 to the rest. The bonus and penalty may change based on the character's behavior.

The problem with her being terrified of ever going outside is that it kills her adventuring drive, which is tenuous as it is. I cannot see her actually becoming an adventurer with that sort of limitation. It kills her story before it can even really start and she lives out her life scared and alone for fear of human contact, either going insane and becoming some kind of feral monster after she snaps completely or eventually starving herself to death or being recaptured and either destroyed as an abomination or enslaved to be poked and prodded by curious wizards.

Honestly? I feel like you're imposing unfair limitations on the ability. 3RP is a lot to pay for something when it comes to race creation, nearly a third of my points spent to gain an alter self spell with no limit on uses but a hard limit on the number of potential forms that can be assumed. I really don't think it's too much to expect that she would be able to maintain the form with relative ease.

But I digress, she can start with +2 to her checks to maintain her human form when under stress (due to practice doing so, force of habit) and a -2 to maintaining other forms due to her innate discomfort with them (fear of what she's become).

Kaybee said:
Honestly? I feel like you're imposing unfair limitations on the ability. 3RP is a lot to pay for something when it comes to race creation, nearly a third of my points spent to gain an alter self spell with no limit on uses but a hard limit on the number of potential forms that can be assumed. I really don't think it's too much to expect that she would be able to maintain the form with relative ease.

The ability says it works AS THE SPELL, which means it has a duration and ends. That's not my change. That's the text of the rule. And it's not expensive. It's a 2nd level spell being cast at will by a char that can't normally cast a 2nd level spell once.

"Spell-Like Ability, At-Will (Variable, see Special)

Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: Choose a 3rd-level or lower spell that does not attack a creature or deal damage. Members of this race can use this spell as an at-will spell-like ability. The caster level of the spell is equal to the user's character level.
Special: This trait costs as many RP as twice the level of spell chosen (minimum 2). Up to five spells can be chosen when you take this trait. Each time you take an additional spell, adjust the RP cost of this trait appropriately."

By this text, the ability should cost 4 RP, and not even be available to your char. The rules allow a modified version of the spell to be available, and I am okay with that, but you have planned to use this ability in what I consider to be an exploit, giving yourself different identities that you can effortlessly maintain and switch between at will. Not only have I mentioned my concerns with this from a storytelling perspective, but also a mechanical perspective.

Mechanically I can see where you're coming from, in terms of storytelling though, she wouldn't reach the point of effortlessly switching identities until a long ways in, near or at the end of her character arc. I guess I can see how a less scrupulous gamer would exploit it, but I have no intention of doing any such thing, as I feel my character arc that I wrote out shows.

Not -I suppose- that you really have anything more than my word on that...

I see your point regarding the RAW, I just feel like a shapeshifter should be able to... Well... shapeshift. Personally I was feeling a little stupid for getting an ability that I was only going to use to disguise as human in my initial plan, I'm not asking for this as an exploit, I'm mostly asking for this so that I don't have to make a ridiculous number of rolls just for my character to go to the store or something without getting a lynch mob thinking she's a demon.

Basically I just want my character to not get murdered in the street and to have the opportunity to branch out into other forms as she reaches higher levels.

But really, I should probably just be learning to let an argument go... Stupid stubborn me.

I'll drop the shapeshifting, I could take you up on a deal on it but frankly, it feels a little poisonous between us right now, and I don't want to annoy you more than I undoubtedly already have. I think I can still work out something with Gromnar, have his character have placed mine under her protection to keep the lynch mobs and curious wizards away, should work. In exchange Mist would serve as a bodyguard/companion, thus giving her an 'in' into the party through the priestess.

As for the plot, it'll have a little less nuance, but I'm sure I can make it work.

How's This?

Humanoid with outsider Subtype (0 RP)

Flexible (2 RP)
-Members of this race gain a +2 bonus to any two ability scores.

Darkvision 60 Feet (2 RP)
-Members of this race can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Prehensile Tail (2 RP, only in natural form obviously, though she might also disguise herself as a tiefling to still have this on occasion?)
-Members of this race have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.

Sprinter (1 RP)
-Members of this race gain a +10 foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions. (She's good at running away)

Linguist (1 RP)
-Members of this race start with Common plus their racial language (if any). Furthermore, members of this race with high Intelligence scores can learn any languages they want (except Druidic and other secret languages).

Gifted Linguist (2 RP)
-Members of this race gain a +4 racial bonus on Linguistics checks, and they learn one additional language every time they put a rank in the Linguistics skill.

Kaybee said:
I'm mostly asking for this so that I don't have to make a ridiculous number of rolls just for my character to go to the store or something without getting a lynch mob thinking she's a demon.

I don't see why she would get that. Tieflings are common enough, after all.

Kaybee said:
Basically I just want my character to not get murdered in the street and to have the opportunity to branch out into other forms as she reaches higher levels.

What I proposed does that. Simple, mundane tasks wouldn't require rolls. It's when she would be particularly distracted (combat, sex, etc) that losing track of time or forgetting herself would be more likely. Also, as she levels, she'll gain the ability to take other forms, as she'll have sorcerer spells.

Kaybee said:
I'll drop the shapeshifting, I could take you up on a deal on it but frankly, it feels a little poisonous between us right now, and I don't want to annoy you more than I undoubtedly already have. I think I can still work out something with Gromnar, have his character have placed mine under her protection to keep the lynch mobs and curious wizards away, should work. In exchange Mist would serve as a bodyguard/companion, thus giving her an 'in' into the party through the priestess.

As for the plot, it'll have a little less nuance, but I'm sure I can make it work.

I'd prefer them not to be lynch mobs. Being different and having the mental issues we discussed, I can easily see her getting in trouble with the unforgiving Korvosa, but lynch mobs seems a bit much.

But feel free to create a new race.

Actually I kinda kept the same initial concept and just tweaked the shapeshifting out of it...

http://bluemoonroleplaying.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=76040

Please post chars here

Posted my PC. I would need to discuss with the other players how mine knows theirs before I can finish that section.

If others want to take a look at her background, perhaps we can come up with something?

Looks great, Gromnar. I'll PM you to start coordinating.

Could I get a quick roll call of who is still around?

Back
Top Bottom