Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hoist the colors!

Today I learned that getting and maintaining an erection in microgravity is difficult, thanks to gravity not assisting in blood flow. But, thanks to a phenomenon called fluid shift (in which bodily fluids move around over time in microgravity), if a man goes to sleep in microgravity he can wake up with a long-lasting erection that one astronaut described as being hard enough to “drill through kryptonite”.

The lesson? If you’re into “hard” sci-fi, mornings are your best bet.

So, a few things about the latest Christmas Crossover post.

Quentin just learned that channeling the Force - the energies that flow through and connect all living things - is not a safe thing to do in a realm saturated with the energies of one of the Primordial Dragons. But it's cool. Kitty Verrier just pwned him.

Sam refers to "graphing". The Meridian Society universe is one in which the events of the HG Wells novel War of the Worlds happened, right? And then, people started reverse engineering Martian technology. One of the changes is communications: the Martians used pulsed lasers to communicate, through fiber-optics or in direct beams to other tripods and ships. Humans dubbed this "coherent heliographs", since "LASER" wasn't a term that came into use until the 1950s and heliographs were a known thing, So instead of telephones becoming a thing, portable and home laser heliographs replaced telegraph lines and have been refined to carry speech. Steampunk cellphones, basically.

On a more pragmatic level, the thing the Puck did means we can ditch any excess characters as desired - and pick up others as we see fit. I believe adult Clara and the French couple were mentioned?

Poor Quentin. I decided to leave Oliviola out of it for now unless Madam Mim can find a more organic way to include them. The cast is a tad unwieldy as it stands. But at least everyone is in the right place now.

Aaaaaaagh! Three words from being done with a post for Silken Siren, and my battery dies!

I just don’t feel up to trying to recreate it tonight.

*hugs* Yeah that's why I always use Word, and, lately, google drive. Even if I lose something in the middle, it's only a couple sentences/ a paragraph at most.

Don't you hate that? I should probably start using Google Docs, especially since I've got a Chromebook and therefore no choice of word processor, but I still type in the quick reply box.

Also I think we need to corral the current cast before we try getting Viola and Olivia in on this.

It is getting a bit bulky here, isn’t it? Let’s see, I believe this is the full list of characters we have in the story:

Algernon Swift
Anne Marie LaMonte
Colin Drake
Kieran Shane
Hareth
Erik Heinz-Schmidt
Samantha Heinz-Schmidt

Sam Cavendish
Jacqueline Sparrow

John Sparrow
Jenny Sparrow

Quentin Hall
Kaydia Voss-Hall

Mara Jade Voss-Hall

Matthias
Aurianna
Clara Olgasdottor
Verrier

Yusef
Aurelia

William Stone
Mercedes Morello

Well, heck. That’s only 19 characters! What are worried about? :)

(Also, the picture I grabbed for the Sams isn’t the original face claim I chose. But that link is broken, and the new one seems a good fit.)

Kieran (There should be a captain in there somewhere...) and Erik. You had Dominique McElligot for Sam before, but I definitely like the Sam Cavendish pic. (I started watching Hell on Wheels about a year after we started Meridian Society and realized that that was who it was.) Although here she is all fancied up if you wanted to keep that faceclaim. And I confess, since watching Penny Dreadful I keep thinking of Algie as Timothy Dalton. >.>

We've also got poor random Hareth who's only there because I wanted to make Kieran an insensitive asshole. I'll try and figure out something to do with him. XD

Regarding Hareth, I did a Google Image Search for "Middle Eastern Actors" and found a few suggestions: one, two, three. And the poor dude is probably feeling totally out of place right now, regardless. It'd be kind of poetic if he ended up going home with Colin. It'd make an odd sort of sense if he ended up going home with Yusef and Aurelia, and it'd be odd if he went home with Quentin and Kaydia or with Sam and Jackie.

It'd be oddly hysterical if he went home with Verrier.

As far as the Sam pictures are concerned, I'm torn. I rather like the new pictures I found, but I also rather like the original. Decisions, decisions.

Completely unrelated to any of this, I’ve started scripting out Vertier’s early childhood. Like, “just hatched and had to escape being eaten by his larger, stronger siblings” early. It’s an interesting challenge trying to write the dread Godslayer as a frightened little thing having to outthink his more powerful relatives. He’s very much in the vein of Ansnsi and Loki, it seems.

Also, it turns out that gutting Yavost’cherev is a thing he’s been wanting to do practically since the dawn of creation.

Interestingly enough, he seems to have met Afodesia way, way back in the day. Back when she was just the Lady of Love. Possibly, he was the first Dragon to meet a God, after the Gods emerged from the Primal Chaos. She may have been the first creature powerful enough that he couldn’t just eat her that didn’t try to eat him in turn, and she probably didn’t know to be afraid of him. Or if his kin.

I should probably stop outlining at some point, and knock at least a rough draft out.
baby_dragon_hatching_by_ulksy-db9pczp.jpg

Sounds interesting. There was a prompt on Tumblr I wanted to write for, with a "hero" asking a "villain" for help, and the villain making the hero beg. I was going to frame it between Afodisia and Verrier, and had some really good lines, but it turns out four or five clever lines of dialogue doesn't a scene make, especially if they are disjointed. :-/

“I need your help.”
The villain cocked their head. They uttered no ‘what’, no ‘why’, just: “Get on your knees.”
The hero thudded to the floor, knees aching from the impact. “Please.”
“Good. Now, beg.”

“I need your help. My father will never accept peace.”

“Get on your knees.”
“What?”
“Is this not what you require of the humans? To prostrate themselves before your benevolence?” His voice dripped with condescension.
(more diaglogue goes in here, probably)

“Don’t start with me! You keep my lover’s skull like a trophy. You’ve killed my children by the scores.”
“You came to me because I am the Godslayer.”
“I’ve come to you because if Thanades succeeds, nothing will remain for gods and dragons to fight over.”

Also, I was thinking about face claims for the characters. Maybe keep one of those pics for Hareth could also go for Yusef?

Aurelia- Zoe Saldana (who I remembered was in the POTC movies.)
Aurianna- Still not sure who would play her in His Redemption, but Claudia Black could play her in Ascension.
Kaydia- She was half inspired by Christina Hendricks' Saffrom (from Firefly) so there we go.
Mara- Early 80's Geena Davis.

Quentin- Charlie Hunnam maybe? (Still needs his tattoo, but I am not sure I have the skills to add that.)

Meridian Society Timeline
(Very much a work in progress.)

April 6, 1866: Algernon Swift is born in Australia.

January 22, 1890: Samantha Margaret Cavendish is born in Texas.

June 3, 1894: The first Martian cylinders arrive on Earth.

June 4, 1894: The first Tripod is seen, and the Invasion begins.

June 24, 1894: The last known Martian succumbs to terrestrial disease organisms, ending the Invasion.

April 12, 1895: The Confederate States of America take advantage of the weakened state of the post-Invasion United States to secede from the Union.

April 30,1895: Union forces mobilize to force the successionist states to rejoin the Union, beginning the Second American Civil War.

December 26, 1898: Pierre and Marie Curie announce the discovery of radium, which is soon demonstrated to be one of the elements used in powering the various Martian machines.

January 5, 1898: Captain Alfred Dreyfus is convicted of passing information about radium power to Germany and sentenced to life imprisonment.

April 5, 1898: Anne Oakley is commissioned a Captain in the United States Calvary, becoming the first woman to hold a commissioned officer rank in the US Armed Forces.

July 7, 1898: The United Kingdom annexes the Hawaiian Islands.

July 22, 1898: After three years of neglect by the CSA, Arizona, New Mexico, and southern Texas secede from the CSA and are formally annexed by Mexico.

July 25, 1898: The CSA declares war on Mexico, beginning the Second Mexican-American War.

January 19, 1899: The Ottoman Empire and the British Empire jointly found the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan.

February 4, 1899: The Philippine Republic declares war against Spain in a bid for independence.

February 8, 1899: The Second American Civil War ends with the signing of the Treaty of Paris.

February 12-14, 1899: Freezing temperatures and snow cripple most of North America. Tripod sightings are reported in the Canadian Northwest Territories, but are never verified.

August 17, 1902: The Second Mexican-American War ends with the signing of the Treaty of San Antonio de Béxar, formally establishing the boundaries of Mexico, the CSA, and the USA.

December 24, 1902: The Pepsi-Cola Company is incorporated in North Carolina.

March 8-13, 1917: A Bolshevik uprising in Petrograd, aiming to overthrow Tsar Nicholas II, is crushed by tripods and infantry deployed by the Russian army. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov is executed in the aftermath, but Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin escapes.

September 26, 1918: The Meridian Society begins its investigation into the “Wings of Silence” affair.

October 8, 1918: Rising German political activist Adolph Hitler is killed by terrorists in Berlin.

April 4, 1919: The Meridian Society begins an investigation of apparent “voodoo murders” in New Orleans.

A few random observations:
What with the distractions of the Second Civil War and the Second Mexican-American War, the Spanish-American War never happened. So Puerto Rico stays Spanish for a while, but probably declares independence and/or gets annexed by Mexico.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are both Confederate products in this timeline. Dr. Pepper is Mexican. A&W Root Beer is from Los Angeles, which is still Yankee.

Russia will probably go to war with Japan in the 1930s, when Japan starts annexing Korea and Manchuria. They probably won’t get involved too much in the Second Great War unless the Vereinigung der Deutsch Sozialistischen Räte tries to spread communism east.

This is massively helpful! :D Shall I put together an interpersonal timeline for the team? It's sort-of secondary, obviously, but might be helpful. But this is super useful, since I was having trouble keeping our alternate timeline together. I love the idea of a few escaped Martians lurking in the frozen north, biding their time where Earth microbes aren't as common.

The interpersonal timeline would be extremely helpful, yes. And who knows? Maybe the Martians will show up.

I can definitely see Meridian Society in this. Especially considering Anne Marie is 5'11" and quite handsome. Could be a useful attribute...

Algernon: We’re looking for a group of thieves that call themselves the, Ah, “Firty Ekephants”. Led by the, let me see, the Diamond Queen.
Anne Marie: *discretely hides the n w diamond ring she’s wearing*
Algernon: ...
Algernon: Something you would care to say, my dear?
Anne Marie: ...call me Queen?

Algernon, in private: The Diamond Queen, Madame Fleuriste, if I keep turning down assignments which lead back to you the Society is going to start getting suspicious. You're an independently wealthy heiress with two booming practices, regardless of how illicit one is. Murder I understand, but petty thievery? It's a needless risk.
Anne Marie: Well, a woman has to have a hobby, doesn't she? And besides, I saw that crystal carousel and just had to have it. You know how much she loves horses!
Helen--
Algernon: Helen didn't need a silver horse statuette, Anne!

Sam: And why are you assuming that Anne Marie is the sole mastermind?
Algernon: ...What? Why..?
Anne Marie: We decided to put a counterespionage cell together, as part of the lessons we’ve been teaching her.
Algernon: WHAT?

Damnit, this could work. Sam and Anne Marie running a gang of blackmailing thieves as CONINTELPRO in the 1920s, only to have it blow up when one target proves to be dangerously politically powerful.

Considering Quentin is in his mid to late thirties at this point (he is at least 36 when Mara is born), I half expect the encounter to go down this:

Mara: Dad! *Throws her arms around Quentin*
Kaydia: Dad? Is there something you need to tell me, hun?
Quentin: Kaydia, you've seen my memories, you know I don't have a daughter.
Mara: Yes you do.
Quentin: Or at least I don't know about her. Whose your mother?
Mara *looks over at Kaydia*: Clearly her. I am from a different reality, probably not born yet in yours.
Quentin: Oooh!
Kaydia: Yeah, okay, that makes perfect sense.
Aurelia: What part of that makes sense?

Godslayer, part one.
“The Runt”

The world was growing cramped. It was still warm, of course, but it had slowly and steadily contracted inwards until there it became necessary to brace against the walls and squirm and twist to move. And food was running out. Hunger was a new sensation, an unpleasant sensation that gnawed and ached in his belly. He twisted and slithered and squirmed, seeking comfort in a changing world that no longer had any comfort to offer.

His snout scraped along the boundary of the world, pushing hard against the tough, yielding surface. Teeth hooked and tire, and blazing white light flooded into the dim blood-colored world. He squirmed away, thrashing and pushing as he struggled to escape the uncanny light, but his efforts merely tore more holes in the world. A strange feeling seized him, dragging him downwards as the warmth drained away. He kicked and thrashed, struggling against the force that held him, and before he could stop himself he sprawled forward into the alien light.

After a moment, he opened his eyes.

He was half sprawled across the wreckage of his world - his egg, he realized, although he couldn’t say where that word came from - and half across a warm, gritty, yielding surface that cling to his slime-slick black scales. Sand, he decided, struggling to rise. It’s sand.

Slime exploded from his nostrils as he sneezed, and more as he retched and coughed. The sticky fluid gummed the sand, then sizzled and burned as he coughed and spat. Shaky, testing himself on short hind legs and long forelegs that served as wings, he gripped his shell in his teeth and tugged. It took several tries, and he slipped more than once, but a long strip tore free. Snapping and tossing, he managed to get it down his throat. The gnawing ache in his stomach began to subside.

“Hey, look,” something said, interrupting his meal. “It hatched.”

“Really?” The other new voice sounded bored. “I thought for sure it was dead.”

He raised his head and looked. Two shapes approached, one clambering over a large stone, the other crawling through the burning sand. Both were superficially alike, with long sinuous bodies and snouts filled with razor teeth, and both were larger than he was. Significantly larger.

“Look at it, Ubijtsa,” sneered the figure on the stone it’s head swaying at the end of a long, flexible neck as it examined the hatchling. “It’s... tiny.”

He backed up, claws scrabbling in the sand as the other figure drew closer. “Big enough, Yavost’cherev,” It chuckled. “Big enough.”

Wheeling and leaping, he beat his wings frantically as Ubjitsa exploded forward. There was an instant of terror as he flailed before he caught the air and pushed, throwing himself away from the larger creature’s claws. The flight didn’t last long, and he only managed a dozen feet before crashing heavily into the sand, but it was far enough.

“Come back here, runt!” Ubjitsa roared, six sets of claws tearing at the sand as he darted forward. “I’m hungry, damnit!”

The hatchling didn’t bother to reply, choosing instead to dart forward. His long forelimbs took up most of the work, reaching and pulling as his rear legs kicked and steered him towards the far wall and the opening that led away. “So am I!” Yavost’cherev laughed, seizing the air with his talons and hurling himself upwards. “And I don’t plan to share!”

Twisting sideways, the hatchling barely avoided Yavost’cherev’s fangs as the larger dragon swooped towards him. Then he twisted again, dodging a gobbet something sticky that hissed and crumbled the stone it struck. He glanced behind him, saw Yavost’cherev and Ubjitsa gaining, and redoubled his efforts. His body flowed and transformed, becoming sleeker and better suited for running as his heart pounded and thundered in his chest. So close now. He was almost there.

He hurled himself through the gap, screaming in panic as the ground dropping far away. Tumbling bag and spring naming, he allowed his body to reshape itself once more as he frantically beat the air with his bat-like wings. Above him the others - his siblings, he realized - lept from the mountaintop as well. Yavost’cherev clawed at the air, snaking and twisting and running, while Ubjitsa soared on membranes stretched taught between his multiple legs.

Air filled his wing membranes, transforming his uncontrolled fall into flight. He angled his body, leveling out of his dive and skimming along the Ricky ground until gusting thermals lifted him skywards. It was progress, but his siblings were still in pursuit. He needed a place to hide, quickly.

Scanning the distant ground, reshaping his eyes to improve his vision, he found a likely candidate. Below and in the middle distance was a herd of thousands of grazing beasts. That would do, he decided as he beat his wings harder. No time to look back. No need to look back. He could hear the mocking taunts of Ubjitsa and Yavost’cherev behind him, distant but still pursuing, and he threw himself into a dive. The beasts brayed at his sudden presence, confusion turning to panic at his unfamiliar chemical stink. They ran and he ran with them, his body reshaping itself once more into an approximation of their form. For a moment, he allowed himself to hope.

A torrent of caustic filth lashed through the herd, reducing a handful of grazers to skeletons and maiming and crippling a dozen more. Ubjitsa roared with laughter as he tore the air above, then spat poison lightning into the stampede. Fragments of bodies and clots of earth erupted into the air and thunder drowned out the mocking roar for an instant.

This, clearly, was no escape. He looked around desperately, considering his options. There! A burrow of some sort! Changing direction as filth and lightning tore into the herd once more, he deliberately forced his body to change its shape. Smaller. Sinuous. Able to enter the hole and dig deeper.

He flowed through the entrance as death rained down, wriggling on his belly, dragging himself with elongated forelimbs and clicking with clawed feet. Deeper and deeper he went, scent and sound replacing sight. Warmth was ahead of him, and pumping blood, and a fear-stink. Multiple bodies, a mother and her young.

“Come out!” Yavost’cherev bellowed. “We know you weren’t killed - none of these things smell like you! Come out!”

He considered his options as the mother burrower chattered hysterically and clawed and bit ineffectually at his claws. They could smell him? Very well, let them.

His fangs flashed in the darkness, tearing his own armored flesh. Pinning the burrowed to the wall with one forearm, he forced her mouth open and let his blood drip into her mouth. She screamed in agony, wildly tearing at his firearms and armored skull and at her own bubbling flesh. He hissed and snarled, buffeting the maddened creature until it fled whining up the burrow. He knew she had reached the surface when claws raked the earth and the agonized chattering ended abruptly.

He held his breath. Nothing moved. Nothing except the blind, mewling pups that nuzzled against his belly plates. “It... worked?” he whispered. Then, when talons didn’t rip open the burrow, his voice became more confident. “It worked!”

Another pup nuzzled against him. Absently he darted his head around on his serpentine neck, snapping it up and swallowing it. The wriggling sensation as it slid down his throat made him giggle. “It worked,” he said again, eating another of the burrowers. “Smaller, yes. Weaker, yes. But, also cleverer.”

He ate the last of them. “That will be my name,” he decided, settling down to rest and digest. “Verrier. The Clever.”

Well, that was fun. Normally, when I write Verrier, (s)he is an arrogant alpha (fe)male and the single most destructive force around. It’s kind of fun examining him as the weak little scared thing he was. Later stories, as they come, are going to delve into the fact that (among the Primordial Dragons) he was a figure like Loki or Anansi or Coyote - a Trickster.

Also, he pretended to be a God for a while, and accidentally triggered the war between the Gods and Dragons. Like Tricksters do.

Men Only: Inside the charity fundraiser where hostesses are put on show

It is for men only. A black tie evening, Thursday’s event was attended by 360 figures from British business, politics and finance and the entertainment included 130 specially hired hostesses.

All of the women were told to wear skimpy black outfits with matching underwear and high heels. At an after-party many hostesses — some of them students earning extra cash — were groped, sexually harassed and propositioned.

Back
Top Bottom