Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Life of Valor (Grave x Kat)

Jessica groaned in protest to the sound of the alarm before sighing tiredly and stretching, rubbing the sleep from her eyes she sat up crawled out of bed. She got dressed once she'd had some coffee and smiled at him, hugging him back as she kissed him. "Alright darling. Be safe." She said before sitting down at the computer. Once he called she picked up the phone and nodded at his words. "I will." She said and set about waiting and watching.

While Jessica manned the computer monitors, Scott kept watch on the house with his infrared binoculars. If the stalker showed up this time, there was no way that he was going to escape them. As it rolled around to 9:00 PM, an hour after he had gotten there, he still saw no sign of the stalker. Ms. Moon had elected to stay at a local motel for the night instead of his house, but all the lights were on and there was a dummy in the bed to imitate her sleeping. Another long hour passed, but at the stroke of 10, he saw some slight movement in the bushes on the left side of the house.
"Jessica, check camera B and let me know what you see," he urged, hoping it was the stalker and not just a raccoon rummaging near the garbage can.

Jessica nodded and switched to camera B and blinked, quickly saying. "It's him. I'll call the cops. Be careful." She said then hung up and dialed 911, explaining the situation and giving the dispatcher the address of Ms. Moon's house.

Scott nodded and bolted out of the car as quickly as he could, his legs eating up the pavement as he printed toward the side of the house the stalker was on.
"Hey, stop right there!" he shouted as soon as the stalker came into view.
The stalker tried to turn around and run, but Scott had waited until he was within five feet of him before shouting out. Springing off of his feet like a cat, Scott leaped for his quarry's exposed back and wrapped his arms around his waist, tackling him to the ground. Reacting quickly, Scott wrenched one arm behind his back and planted his knee on him, holding him in place.
"I'm a private investigator in the employ of the woman who lives here, and I'm placing you under citizen's arrest."

The sound of police sirens could be heard in the distance, and stalker tried to wriggle and escape.
"Let me go, man! I didn't do nothin'!"
"Yeah, well, we'll see what the cops think about that."
Ten minutes later, a squad car pulled up and two uniformed police officers approached Scott and the stalker. Scott forced the stalker to his feet with him and handed him over to the closest officer.

While one officer handcuffed and Mirandized the stalker, his partner took Scott's statement on an old-school memo pad. Once the officers left to take the suspect to the county jail, Scott hustled back to his SUV and picked up the cellphone.
"I successfully apprehended the suspect," he said to Jessica.
He knew she had seen everything on the surveillance camera, but he knew she would want to hear his voice anyway. Disconnecting the call fromher, he called Ms. Moon to let her know that her stalker had been arrested and that she could safely return home the next morning. After finishing the call, Scott returned home and sat down on the couch next to Jessica with a triumphant smile.

"Valor Investigations successfully closes another case."
He gave her a kiss on the lips and looked toward the kitchen.
"I'm starved out, babe, how about you? What do you feel like having for dinner tonight?"

Jessica kept a close eye on everything through the cameras but smiled a little when he called her and told her that. When he got home she smiled and kissed him back softly. "Hm... I'm feeling tacos..." She said with a wink.

Scott nodded with a smile as she said that she was in the mood for tacos.
"An excellent choice. I never turn down well-made tacos."
He walked into the kitchen and pulled out a taco kit, as well as some hamburger from the freezer. While Jessica got to work, he went back into the living room to find something good to watch. The food would have to simmer a bit at some point, so he would have something good for her to watch while the food finished up.

Scott started watching a show and chilled for a bit while Jessica cooked. After about ten minutes had passed, he got up and went into the kitchen to check on her.
"How's it going?"
While Jessica was hard at work, he hugged her from behind and gave her cheek a gentle kiss.
"It looks and smells delicious. You're doing a great job."

Jessica smiled at him. "It's almost ready." She said then smiled and kind of nuzzled into his cheek after the kiss. "Thanks." She replied as she moved the cooked taco meat off the burner and pulled the shells out of the oven.

Scott nodded.
"Yep, it sure is."
He stepped back to give Jessica room to work and took a seat at the kitchen table. Since they would be done soon, he figured he should stick around. However, thinking of what could help, he got up and pulled a bag of shredded cheese, a bag of lettuce, and a tub of sour cream out of the fridge before setting them on the table. He wasn't sure what Jessica liked or didn't like, so he got all of the essentials for the tacos when they got everything for it.

Scott got plates for them and put two soft shells and two hard shells on his plate. After scooping some meat on and into them with a spoon, he sprinkled some shredded cheese onto it, but didn't want any lettuce or sour cream. Walking into the living room with his plate, he waited for Jessica to join him. Once she had, he gestured to the TV.
"This is a good comedy show called World's Dumbest, this episode being based around dumb drivers. I've always liked this show, and it's good to watch while you eat."

Jessica smiled as she walked over with her two hard shells before nodding and sitting beside him, taking a bite of one of her tacos and chuckling at the show.

Half of the show was over before Scott had finished his four tacos. Pausing the show with his remote, he got up and made himself two hard-shelled tacos before coming back and resuming the show. By the time the show was over and he had finished his tacos, he was too full to have any more. After putting the remainder of the food in the fridge, he turned to Jessica.
"I'm going to head to bed. You coming with me?"

Jessica was fine after her two tacos and smiled at him as she nodded. "Sure." She said as she put her dishes away before following him to bed, getting changed into her pjs.

Scott changed into some sleeping clothes and got into bed. With a full stomach and still somewhat tired from the previous night's all-nighter, he would have no problem falling asleep. Once Jessica was in bed, he snuggled her close to him. Within moments, he was asleep.

The next morning, Scott awoke first and went into the kitchen to put some coffee on. After a shower and a shave, he went into the kitchen to meet with Jessica.
"We're going to stop by the office and review our cases, and then we'll go out and work one. You did a great job on last night's case."
After some breakfast and a cup of coffee, he went toward the door in his khaki pants and white collared shirt with black tie.
"Let's head out, babe."

Jessica woke while Scott was shaving and yawned, stretching her new muscles as she got up and got some coffee, she nodded as he came out and stated the plan for the day before going to shower and get dressed, munching on breakfast when she was done. She smiled at him and kissed his cheek. "Alright." She said as she followed him out the door.

Scott got into the vehicle and waited for Jessica to join him before beginning the drive to work. Along the way, though, they were stopped by traffic piling up as something was going on. Scott couldn't believe his eyes as he saw a police car encased what looked to be a giant ice cube. No matter how good the air conditioner on that car, there was no way it could do that.
"Looks like a supervillain is trying to rob that bank. I'd better go."

Scott used his Quick Armor ability to put his armor on in pieces and avoid doing any damage to his car with the Destructive Aura. Getting out, he quickly sprinted toward the bank. Inside, he could see that several other people had been encased in ice, with the bank interior looking like a hockey rink. It was obvious that some kind of cryomancer had used his power to attack this bank, and he was no doubt in the vault. Carefully taking a step onto the floor, he tried to make his way across without slipping. He was thankful that unlike the last time he had had to cross a large patch of ice, no one was attacking him during the process.

"Scott!" Jessica called before looking on worriedly, after a moment's hesitation she ran after him. When she got to the bank she saw he was struggling to get across the ice. She however, saw how smooth it was and simply skated with her shoes up to him.

Scott looked to the side as Jessica came sliding up to him.
"You shouldn't have come. It could be really dangerous, even with your training."
Knowing that he was not going to dissuade her from following, he turned his head back to the vault, but was surprised when his quarry came walking out with a bag loaded with money slung over his shoulder. The supervillain was a man in his 30's with short black hair and a goatee, dressed in jeans and a gray hoody.
"Stop right there!" Scott ordered in his most authoritative voice.

The man's eyes widened in surprise and he dropped the bag of money.
"You're Crusader?" he asked in a surprised tone.
"Yeah, and who are you?"
"You can call me Mr. Cold. Are you here to try and stop me?"
"Yes, I'm afraid I can't let you get away with what you've done."

"Then you leave me no choice."
Mr. Cold raised his arms and fired two concentrated blasts of ice, one at Scott and one at Jessica. Scott quickly pushed Jessica out of the way, sending her sliding across the floor. By saving her, he sacrificed his opportunity to dodge and took both blasts directly. Within a minute, Scott was completely frozen solid from head-to-toe. Mr. Cold seemed shocked by what he had done, but recovered quickly, reaching for the bag to hoist it up and make his escape.

Jessica was about to dodge on her own when Scott shoved her out of the way, sending her skidding across the ice. She gasped and recovered quickly before glaring at the man and getting to her feet. Skating over to him she sent a quick punch to his face that should have sent a normal man tumbling back. "Stop right there. You're going to unfreeze all these people and turn yourself over to the police. Now!"

Mr. Cold was caught completely off-guard by the woman coming back so quickly, and her fist connected solidly with his jaw. Spinning around to where his back hit the wall, he was dazed, but determined not to lose focus. He understood her anger, and in truth, he regretted the people he had frozen solid, including the hero Crusader. But he was a desperate man, and desperate men sometimes did stupid things.
"I will unfreeze all of these people and turn myself in to the police. But not before I save my son!"

Firing an ice blast at Jessica, he encased her legs up to her knees in solid ice that would take a jackhammer to get through.
"I am sorry, but I must go."
Mr. Cold lugged the bag over his shoulder and took off running as fast as he could. Using his ice-producing gauntlets, he was able to create a trail of ice through the sky just like the comic book hero Ice-Man. Mr. Cold, real name Aaron Moss, was being squeezed by a ruthless gangster that demanded money in exchange for the release of his son, Jonathan. With no other way to pay the astronomical sum that he demanded, Aaron had used his Ph.D in Cryogenics to create a suit that could turn anything he chose into solid ice and used it to rob the bank.

Back at the bank, something strange began to happen to the ice that was surrounding Scott. It began to break off in pieces, and a brilliant light shone from it. The fire within Scott's aura that he had received from Alan melted the ice off of him, evaporating it at his feet. Scott turned and saw that Jessica was trapped, heading over to her side. He wrapped his arms around her and used the heat within his Destructive Aura to melt the ice.
"Tell me what happened with Mr. Cold as I help these people."

Scott rushed over to the frozen people and began to thaw them out the same way. Once all of the people inside the bank, including some vault guards, were unfrozen, he went outside to thaw out the cops. After rescuing a few patrol officers, he touched the frozen car and thawed it out.
"Thanks, Crusader," one of the cops said, "I sure feel better not being an ice cube."
After Scott had unfrozen everyone and an ambulance was on the scene to take care of them, he noticed an ice trail arcing through the sky and heading away from the bank. He followed it with his eyes as he stood there and listened to Jessica.

Jessica glared at him and prepared to throw another punch when she was taken aback by his words, leaving her off guard when he encased her legs in ice. She stared after him in shock, then blinked in surprise at Scott's escape. She nodded and began speaking as she followed him around. "Well, when he froze you I punched him in the face and demanded he unfreeze everyone and turn himself in. He said he would... but only after he saved his son. I don't know what he meant by that but it doesn't sound like he's doing this for selfish purposes, he sounded desperate. Then he froze my legs and took off." She finished as she looked into the sky with him.

Back
Top Bottom