Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Annoying Things in Games

What's worse is reaching endgame and then pretty much getting nothing for all your hard work. Skyrim was perhaps the worst example of this in recent memory, where the main quest just seems to... end, with very few loose ends tied up, and the player getting a dragon shout (which I never, ever used) for all their work.

I can't really think of anything excessively annoying. Endgame is definetely up there for annoying things, a lot of the time you get there and do nothing with it. I guess I should list that online connected games (like Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls) get annoying eventually. It's not that the game gets harder, it's just that people become annoying with random bs that they do and get away with. For example: in Dark Souls, getting hit through the shield and still take half hp damage, or get executed while he/she is so far away the only "real" excuse is lag.

Oh, gamebreaking glitches too. Like instant deaths, falling through the world, or unable to finish a quest/mission because of a glitched NPC.

When a certain game about zombies puts zombies on the ground, and you cannot kill them preemptively. I know the stupid thing is gonna get up, so let me put a bullet in it first. Also, when that certain game has a feature where your on-point aim is useless, because the damn red dot moves around on it's own. Then there's the magical times where my bullet blows off half of the zombies head, but it doesn't seem to mind much. On the other hand, I put several bullets into a zombies forehead, and it doesn't seem to matter. I'm whining about Resident Evil 6.

Now I am whining about games in general.

When your character is moving up the stairs, but the movement of the feet don't actually use each step. I'm tired of seeing my character run up a ramp, when they should be running up stairs.

When I have to stand around in the game to get in-game dialogue. I wish it were paced out, so I can advance forward, and still have enough time to listen to what the characters are saying to each other.

The horribleness that was Resident Evil 6. I refuse to acknowledge RE6 as part of the Resident Evil series because it was so bad. I still think that game was meant to be a joke that Capcom decided to play on their fan based community.

Eldrithe Whisperwind said:
The horribleness that was Resident Evil 6. I refuse to acknowledge RE6 as part of the Resident Evil series because it was so bad. I still think that game was meant to be a joke that Capcom decided to play on their fan based community.

>mfw RE5 was also thrash.

Stupidly accurate enemies. GTA V is probably the worst modern example, where cops and criminals alike can hit you with a dead-on bullsye from miles away, usually with their backs turned to you. It's especially absurd in any sort of vehicle chases, where they can be travelling 50 trillion times faster than light on motorcycles, and still manage to hit me through the back window of my heavy armoured car with zero difficulty.

It was pretty bad in InFamous 1 as well.

MellowYellow said:
Stupidly accurate enemies. GTA V is probably the worst modern example, where cops and criminals alike can hit you with a dead-on bullsye from miles away, usually with their backs turned to you. It's especially absurd in any sort of vehicle chases, where they can be travelling 50 trillion times faster than light on motorcycles, and still manage to hit me through the back window of my heavy armoured car with zero difficulty.

It was pretty bad in InFamous 1 as well.

You think that's bad? In Arma II, the fights usually happen over 500m up to 2km away. Imagine this: Perfectly hidden inside of a tree or a shrub, you make no movement, and when you take out your Sniper rifle (or any Designated Marksman Rifle, aka DMR) you instantly get shot in the torso and start bleeding, and then die in the next hit, before you even spot the enemy.

Button mashing events. Seriously, why do game developers keep doing these? They're not fun, they're just plain aggravating. And the short ones are annoying enough, but some games have button mashing events that go on for ages, or you mash one button for a while and then you have to switch to another button and mash that one for a while. I always end up having to switch fingers a number of times because my fingers get tired of tapping away. Ugh. Hate it. ><;;

And though this is related to a certain game itself, the racing stages in the PS3 Twisted Metal were annoying as hell. What Twisted Metal fan ever asked for more racing in their game? I doubt any did. I love the Twisted Metal franchise but I couldn't complete the PS3 TM just because I got so fed up with the racing stages. Twisted Metal is a car combat game, it's not a racing game. If you want to play a racing game go play Gran Turismo or something. ><;;

'Course, that wasn't PS3 Twisted Metal's only problem. Only having three playable characters was also a big letdown. The developers claimed that they only had three playable characters so that they could focus on developing the character stories and making them bigger and deeper... And yet the character stories were no longer than the ones in Twisted Metal: Black, and Black had over a dozen playable characters. Black was a superb game, too...

And really, whose idea was it to turn Calypso from a long-haired badass into a dorky bald guy with one blind eye?

Blue Hatter said:
And though this is related to a certain game itself, the racing stages in the PS3 Twisted Metal were annoying as hell. What Twisted Metal fan ever asked for more racing in their game? I doubt any did. I love the Twisted Metal franchise but I couldn't complete the PS3 TM just because I got so fed up with the racing stages. Twisted Metal is a car combat game, it's not a racing game. If you want to play a racing game go play Gran Turismo or something. ><;;

'Course, that wasn't PS3 Twisted Metal's only problem. Only having three playable characters was also a big letdown. The developers claimed that they only had three playable characters so that they could focus on developing the character stories and making them bigger and deeper... And yet the character stories were no longer than the ones in Twisted Metal: Black, and Black had over a dozen playable characters. Black was a superb game, too...

And really, whose idea was it to turn Calypso from a long-haired badass into a dorky bald guy with one blind eye?

That. I can't agree you with more, my friend. I am a die-hard fan of the TM franchise and I agree with you absolutely on every aspect.

PC controls. I will never understand how anybody loves them so much.

Mitsu said:
PC controls. I will never understand how anybody loves them so much.

I think it depends on how you grow up and what your earlier gaming experiences are. If you were born with a PS1 controller in hand then you probably used that more than WSAD.

PhantomSentinel said:
That. I can't agree you with more, my friend. I am a die-hard fan of the TM franchise and I agree with you absolutely on every aspect.

Yeah... It's a shame because I was really looking forward to another Twisted Metal. Plus it was on the PS3, so better graphics and capabilities? Awesome. Sure, the game looks great, but it plays terrible. Even the car combat aspects of the game didn't feel as polished or as fun as previous Twisted Metal games... And the racing stages, ugh, I hated those things. I play TM to blow up my enemies in an awesome shower of sparks and blood, not to race them to the finish line. ><;;

I knew before I bought the game that there would only be few playable characters but I figured that the stories would be bigger, better and longer because of it, like the developers claimed. But they were no longer than the stories in Black. C'mon, that's not expanding them at all. Sure, it was awesome to see them go back to live action cut-scenes, but the stories weren't improved or lengthened at all... And they were kind of lame if you ask me...

Though I did just realize that I got my Black and PS3 Calypso mixed up. The Black Calypso was the bald guy with a blind eye, PS3 went back to the long black hair...

Eldrithe Whisperwind said:

See, I agree with that to an extent. ((Just to point out, I hated Resident Evil 5. But I tolerated it due to my love and memory of the earlier Resident Evil Series))

Honestly? Jake & Sherry's along with Chris and Piers' campaign's were by far some of the worst to date. They just did not fit in with the series and I /hated/ the concept behind Jake.

However Leon and Helena wasn't that bad and in my opinion was one of the best Campaign's of the latest Resident Evil series (Starting from 4.) It had the most Resident Evil feeling to it, the good old Original Zombies, ruined town, all hell breaking lose. It was definitely the only campaign that seemed to reference the roots of Resident Evil. (Minus the fact it did also have some of the 'Special' Infected.)

PhantomSentinel said:
Mitsu said:
PhantomSentinel said:
When you said something about bugs and crashes, it reminded me of this utterly awful and disgusting game who tended to crash and didn't have solid terrain for the most part (not talking about the awesome game Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing). I'm talking about that one where you ride on a motorcycle and sometimes you go straight through the freeway. Any idea?

Ride to Hell: Retribution?

Mmmmm....yes....I wish that game had stayed wherever it came from. It was a massive failure...heck, it is the second worst game of all time behind BR:OTRR

I was reading through the thread, then I saw this.

I'm not sure what BR:OTRR is (If it was mentioned above, i somehow missed it.)

But worst game of all time... I think that still belongs to Superman 64. Just saying...

--

I wanted to add two cents about things I hate seeing in games. Many of these have probably been mentioned, but I am reaffirming since some really annoy me.

Female characters having to be over sexed. As much as sex sells, it is a stereotype that I hate seeing as the few female characters I have seen that are outside that mold can be fantastic characters, both NPCs and PCs. Two of my favorite characters are Elle (Borderlands 2) and Rita (Tales of Vesperia). Something about that Hell Hath No Fury...

Item drops that make no sense. Alright... I understand that in RPGs now, especially MMORPGs, grinding is something they have decided MUST exist. [Groan] But something feels off when you kill a wolf example and he drops a magical sword that is better than what you are using. Did he eat this from an adventurer who forgot what end of the sword to use to defend himself? Is the wolf actually some sort of knight who was cursed to his wolfhood? Nope, just a wolf. With a sword. For you.

Overcomplicated controller commands. I'm looking at you, UFC.

Free-To-Play. I would rather dish out money for a game then get into a Free-to-Play game as those of them that are worth playing [League of Legends] will trick you into spending more money then a new console over time. Nickel and diming for the lose. :(

Pay per month. Alright, I understand why this can be necessary (Server costs, paying staff, etc), but it doesn't mean I have to like it. <_<

I have more things... but I am done ranting for now. Time for some Guacamelee.

I wish they could make a decent Superman game. Closest was Superman Returns, and that was only because of the ideas. The dreadful execution is what killed it.

Anyway, one thing that annoys me is when an undeserving game gets a franchise built off it. Assassin's Creed has never been more than average at best, awful at its lowest points, and yet Ubisoft have somehow made like a ton of games off it. Why the hell do people keep buying them?

The problem with Superman as a video game hero is pretty much because he is Superman. The character has flight, super speed, super strength, eye lasers, etc. etc. etc. He can do so much. So how do you implement this into a game? Do you rip away his powers (Superman forgot how to fly..)? Do you give ever enemy Kryptonite (A material that is both radioactive and super rare to find)? Batman games can be executed properly as he is human and though he has his various tech, it isn't something drilled in to his DNA and is a literal part of him. Do we take the game and place it on another world perhaps, scrapping a game that is set in Metropolis? Possibly. Ultimately there are a lot of factors that past developers just don't want to deal with. Maybe this will change in the future, but with the past Black Mark on the title when it comes to gaming, I am uncertain if we will see another outside of a video game movie.

Now, first off I am tossing on the record, I enjoy Assassin's Creed. However...

...Now with Assassin's Creed, I won't lie that I like the original premise. You were the main character, an individual named Desmond, who descended from a lineage of assassin's and you are being brain probed in order for the enemy faction who is hundreds of years old to find what could be a super weapon. The game was supposedly be a trilogy, with it's release date originally the same day as Bioware's game "Mass Effect". Assassin's Creed one was semi enjoyable, but the main character was unapproachable and hard for many players to relate to. Not everyone was raised to be a Master Assassin with limited people skills. From their, they progressed on, and instead of ending it as a trilogy, they drew it out longer. There is a reason that after Assassin's Creed 2, we saw Revelations and Brotherhood instead of 3.

My problem with Assassin's Creed is not so much it is Assassin's Creed, but that since it was so successful, it has become a basis for sandbox games. Look at Watchdogs. You might not be scaling buildings, but the concept is very similar. Area is broken into regions with a centralized spot needed to be "activated" in some way in order to unlock sorts of sidequests in the area. Rinse and repeat.

Now... there were some things that I did enjoy with Assassin's Creed. For Black Flag (AC4, they incorporated a huge world, but more importantly they allowed you to transition flawlessly between land and taking the helm of a ship, taking to the sea where you could adventure, follow plot, but more importantly, attack other vessels, looting and pillaging. AC4 had a story line... however, the amount of time I spent on it was minimal compared to the amount of time I decided to turn the game into "Yaargh! I'm a pirate!" simulator.

With the upcoming Assassin's Creed Unity (Numbers are a silly thing), the thing I am seeing I am liking is the concept of a Co-op campaign, meaning that instead of merely being the hero (Thieves and Assassin's are heros? I tend to have them as my preferred character class, so yes. :) ) Some games have attempted this before outside of an MMO and it is something that we will be seeing more of. Some games did it successfully with the ties being a bit loose (Borderlands 2) and other's did it with a tighter knit bond, which had mixed results (Army of Two).

As for why this game does well, the answer is simple. Many games that try something somewhat radical or different are typically not accepted into the majority. This is why some games become classified as cult classics (Nier, Mirror's Edge, Deadly Promonition, etc.) As much as I would love to see the games cycle out, Assassin's Creed has become a name brand, like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. People will play it because of the name.

I dunno, I figure if they Frankenstein the right mechanics together and give a narrative reason for why his powers wouldn't be at their peak then it could work quite nicely. But I'm straying off topic.

On topic: wonky hitboxes, particularly in any online play.

sinfulrook said:
Spotty platforming that's too tight with controls or too "loose". Platforming people should know what I mean.

Oh, God, I can't stand that! Platformers can be hard enough, as is! Add in glitching, 'loose' controls, or an area that's too 'tight'? That's how you screw up a good game.

You know what else bothers me in gaming? Camera angle. When it's too difficult to adjust manually, or freaks out and makes it hard to see what you're doing when moving around when it fixates itself automatically. Especially in older games from consoles like PS1 and PS2.

FallenXIII said:
Oh, God, I can't stand that! Platformers can be hard enough, as is! Add in glitching, 'loose' controls, or an area that's too 'tight'? That's how you screw up a good game.

You know what else bothers me in gaming? Camera angle. When it's too difficult to adjust manually, or freaks out and makes it hard to see what you're doing when moving around when it fixates itself automatically. Especially in older games from consoles like PS1 and PS2.

In my current co-op Let's Play series, me and a buddy play Asteria, and the controls for platforming for that are VERY tight, it's a bit annoying.

I have to agree on camera angles, especially in games that make your camera go through a wall and then you can't get it OUT of the wall for several minutes. Dark Cloud II was one of those games where you could move the camera about often, but a lot of places just had a fixed camera angle.

MellowYellow said:
On topic: wonky hitboxes, particularly in any online play.

Ooh, I gotta agree with you there, Mellow. Hitboxes are temperamental at best, and more often than not they're hard to hit. Granted, I don't do a lot of online gaming, but for certain games, it can get a little ridiculous. I mean, how is it that someone will shoot an arrow at me, have it go above my head, and I still get damaged?

Another thing that bothers me is wonky textures, either on characters or the environment. And random dead zones in online play. I was a fan of Asheron's Call back when it was really popular, and there was a patch of road that killed you if you moved over it. I can't remember where it was (haven't played since the early 2000s) but it was really annoying hmtrying to recover your body if you did die there.

I must admit I am getting annoyed with all the remakes especially of games that are less then like a year old. It seems like a just cheap ways for producers to make a quick buck or at least feels like it to me.

Silverknight said:
I must admit I am getting annoyed with all the remakes especially of games that are less then like a year old. It seems like a just cheap ways for producers to make a quick buck or at least feels like it to me.

I'm assuming you mean The Last of Us. The only good thing about the remake is that they're inproving graphics as well as adding new features... Otherwise... Why remake an already perfect game?

sinfulrook said:
Silverknight said:

I'm assuming you mean The Last of Us. The only good thing about the remake is that they're inproving graphics as well as adding new features... Otherwise... Why remake an already perfect game?

I don't have a problem with remakes. You literally do not have to buy them, and it's an easy way for the developer/publisher to make some extra income, which could potentially go to other projects. Furthermore, it can provide an opportunity for new gamers to play the game on the newer system. I do not see how it negatively impacts anyone.

Back
Top Bottom