Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Annoying Things in Games

@PhantomSentinel: I know that wasn't what you were saying in regards to "Tekken". I am, however, admitting it's fair to include them in that category. Sad, but yeah .... I see why they franchise has been put there. It won't make me stop playing just because of the flaw, gods no. I've played since the second version came out and loved it (for the most part). But yeah, the issue on plot needs to drastically be worked on.

Hm ... no, unfortunately. I don't tend to play many games that involve driving. Far Cry 3 and Saints Row: The Third plus Saints Row IV were the most recent games where I wound up having to drive, regardless of how much or little. So sorry, I don't quite know what you're referring to.

LadyYunaFFX2 said:
3. Fuck yes! As a writer, this applies to me for my games and roleplays. If the plot isn't decent (doesn't have to be perfect, of course), nope. I'm not gonna wanna write/play it. Or if I get drawn into a game that looked like it had a good plot but didn't in the end, I tend to get pissed and feel like I got cheated so badly. Unfortunately, as much as I love "Tekken", I agree it does tend to fall under this issue. Same shit, new game really.

Tekken? Two words for ya, Lady; Soul Calibur! It is one of my favorite fighting games of all times mechanically, but outside of the actual fighting aspects of the games? They are absolute trash.

PhantomSentinel said:
When you said something about bugs and crashes, it reminded me of this utterly awful and disgusting game who tended to crash and didn't have solid terrain for the most part (not talking about the awesome game Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing). I'm talking about that one where you ride on a motorcycle and sometimes you go straight through the freeway. Any idea?

Ride to Hell: Retribution?

Mitsu said:
PhantomSentinel said:
When you said something about bugs and crashes, it reminded me of this utterly awful and disgusting game who tended to crash and didn't have solid terrain for the most part (not talking about the awesome game Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing). I'm talking about that one where you ride on a motorcycle and sometimes you go straight through the freeway. Any idea?

Ride to Hell: Retribution?

Mmmmm....yes....I wish that game had stayed wherever it came from. It was a massive failure...heck, it is the second worst game of all time behind BR:OTRR

So I'm gonna segway into MMOs and other games where the developers update content constantly...

When a company realizes that they've created new bugs/glitches, release the update anyways, then refuse to fix it until the next week, and in the time of the whole week, people exploit it to no end, get ahead of everyone else illegitimately, and screw the game up for everyone trying to enjoy it. On top of that, when people who don't exploit the glitch get ahead relatively far, and then suddenly the developer decides to send out a rollback, announcing only hours before maintenance, and then tell everyone to do it all over again.

sinfulrook said:
So I'm gonna segway into MMOs and other games where the developers update content constantly...

When a company realizes that they've created new bugs/glitches, release the update anyways, then refuse to fix it until the next week, and in the time of the whole week, people exploit it to no end, get ahead of everyone else illegitimately, and screw the game up for everyone trying to enjoy it. On top of that, when people who don't exploit the glitch get ahead relatively far, and then suddenly the developer decides to send out a rollback, announcing only hours before maintenance, and then tell everyone to do it all over again.

This. For like a week in The Elder Scrolls right after launch, it was possible to duplicate items. When they fixed the glitch, nothing happened. The items that were duped were not destroyed. People that blatantly exploited the mechanic were not punished. The Dev's pretty much said, "Oh, you guys! You got us good. Here let us fix this. Now we're cool."

That game has so much potential, which was ruined by the devs wearing their kid-gloves with scammers, dupers, and botters.

Battle Bunny Riven said:
This. For like a week in The Elder Scrolls right after launch, it was possible to duplicate items. When they fixed the glitch, nothing happened. The items that were duped were not destroyed. People that blatantly exploited the mechanic were not punished. The Dev's pretty much said, "Oh, you guys! You got us good. Here let us fix this. Now we're cool."

That game has so much potential, which was ruined by the devs wearing their kid-gloves with scammers, dupers, and botters.

Not to start a flame war or anything here, but that's not the game I had in mind. I know people like ESO, but when I played the beta (several betas actually), I did not like it, at all.

Hell, I'll add to that one Mitsu - I straight up do not like Luck stats. I pretty much hate anything that relies solely on the RNG.

While we're at it, go ahead and fuck the RNG too. 75% chance to crit? Have fun getting 5 normal hits in a row while the enemy crits you twice with their 10% chance.

I hate RNG as well, especially in some of the older games that were RPGs. An example is Final Fantasy 2 on the Gameboy, your stats leveled randomly after battle depending on what you did in it. Getting hit had a chance to raise Hp, using a meele weapon raised Str, ranged Dex, etc, etc.

However since you could only level one stat up per fight, and it was a XX% chance after the fight, you'ld usually only get HP up since there was almost no way to not be hit.

I would agree with that one, Vein, except that in FFII, it was really easy to break the game early by just farming battle after battle to max weapon skill and attack damage by killing an enemy then just attacking yourself. More than one stat can increase at a time, as well.

But for my RNG hatred, complete randoms in Roguelikes. I get that they're suppose to be really hard and mostly random, but some semi-random between items instead of full random with items would be nice, instead of seeing something once every 100000 games.

Raziel99 said:
I would agree with that one, Vein, except that in FFII, it was really easy to break the game early by just farming battle after battle to max weapon skill and attack damage by killing an enemy then just attacking yourself. More than one stat can increase at a time, as well.

Hmm I'd have to try again to see how that is, I usually just went with mostly monsters and robots because i hated trying to level the Humans and Mutants.

Oh I know another one. I hate it when you get items or level ups that are only usable in extremely specific situations. Like for example in Our Darker Purpose one of the classes lets you escape immobilization 90% faster, but only one thing in the game does that and it's not worth the 2 points out of your 10 for upgrades to use it.

I'm surprised to see dislike for the luck stat, granted it is something I understand very well. The luck stat is either poorly defined or affects your chances of getting critical hits/finding good loot. The former tends to be useful through the game while the later is only useful in certain parts when the enemy actually drops good stuff.

Something I have grown to dislike is a lack of knowledge about certain factors. Now some games require you to be observant Dark Souls comes to mind. Is it a safe chest, check the chain. Is there a green cloud with dozen of skeletons on the ground? Probably poison. However some games seem to enjoy making the player squirm a bit. By not fully explaining mechanics or enemy strengths efficiently.

Collectibles in open world games that actually improve the character. This annoys me, because I HAVE to collect them all before I do too much story stuff.

Never played it; I just got Infamous Second Son yesterday. It doesn't matter what the game is, though. I don't like wandering around the map collecting a million little time wasters, because I have to collect them to power up my character, unlock something, or some other beneficial effect I would not otherwise get.

On the subject of InFamous- I hate morality systems that are poorly done in games. InFamous is perhaps the only game that I recall having decent rewards for good and bad karma paths whereas say Mass Effect will deliberately screw you over if you make certain moral choices, and render every decision worthless in the end anyway.

One of the most annoying things in a game is inconstant frame rates, where the frame rates are jumping and break combat and make it frustrating to play a game.

Sloppy controls. In this day and age it's just unforgivable. Worst offender in recent memory was Dark Souls 2. I'd heard all this talk of how genuinely tough the game was, and how it was the test of any veteran gamer. I tried it out and I was disgusted by how sloppy and sluggish the controls were, combined with a player hit-box much much MUCH wider than the actual character. So not only were you not allowed to dodge when you input the command, it didn't matter because after you'd dodged the monster would still hit you even though its attack passed nowhere near your body. I guess this comes down to another pet peeve, undeserved community hype.

When games are released, but have a bunch of problems. I recently purchased the Vita port of Borderlands 2. While the game is lots of fun, and they include quite a bit in the package, there's a bunch of problems with it. The load times take forever, the graphics take even longer to load, dialogue is delayed, certain items won't load (characters off you a gun, but aren't holding anything), and the game often freezes (mostly when I try and sell guns or buy ammo). I loved the game, but it was so disappointing to get a crappy version of the original game. I would've liked to have a better variety of games for my Vita, rather than just fighting games and JRPGs (not that I'm complaining about that).

Squishypink said:
Sloppy controls. In this day and age it's just unforgivable. Worst offender in recent memory was Dark Souls 2. I'd heard all this talk of how genuinely tough the game was, and how it was the test of any veteran gamer. I tried it out and I was disgusted by how sloppy and sluggish the controls were, combined with a player hit-box much much MUCH wider than the actual character. So not only were you not allowed to dodge when you input the command, it didn't matter because after you'd dodged the monster would still hit you even though its attack passed nowhere near your body. I guess this comes down to another pet peeve, undeserved community hype.

If I may offer a little bit of a counterpoint. Dark Souls has had issues with phantom range before, but dodging in Dark Souls proves to be more difficult than other games. When you dodge or roll out of an attack there are a few factors that are taken into account by the game. First is the type of roll, which is divided into three forms. The fastest is called the "fast roll" (Yes creativity is well known in the Dark Souls community). This is the fastest roll that provides the most base invincibility frames, or frames where if an attack's active frames fall during those invincibility frames the attack would do no damage. Then you have a medium roll which has the second most, and the fat roll which really isn't a roll. You just kinda hit the ground and stand back up after a very short roll.

Now each of these had a set amount of frames in Dark Souls I, however because Dark Souls is a PVE based game the devs discovered that you dodging was too forgiving in their book. Those in light armor are punished more due to lower defenses than those who are fat rolling around in the heaviest armor. Thus in Dark Souls II they decided to add a new stat called Adaptability. It increases your invincibility frames for your rolls, meaning you have more forgiveness when it comes down to dodging a monster's attack.

Granted, I do agree that sloppy controls are unforgivable, I disagree that Dark Souls 2 is a victim of sloppy controls. Sloppy controls should not be a common mistake made by developers, unless they intend on making their game horrible.

You know, I don't think anyone brought this one up yet: Music...

Yes, I said music. In a lot of games, some of the music that they compose doesn't fit, at all... Dubstep has been introduced more recently into the newer games, and it pisses me off. It doesn't go with everything, it's not going to get more people to buy the game just because you have it playing in the background.

On a side note: I really love some of the music for a lot of games... Like Shatter and Trials Fusion

My "annoying things in games" list is rather short.

1.- P2W- I loathe pay to win games. The games themselves are a good distraction from time to time, but I would never pump money into them. I know the game is free and they want some way to get money, but they should do what Riot does with League and have it to where you can buy skins or the champions faster.

2.- Story/Plot - There is no reason for any game to not have a story or plot. What gets under my nails more are the games that charge you $60 and only give you two hours worth of mediocre story or no story at all. The most recent offender is Titanfall. I understand that it's geared toward people who love to play multi-player, but its campaign mode is only 2 hours long and it's not even good. Unforgivable.

3.- Loading times - I really hate long loading times or when the game has to load every 5 minutes. Nuf said.

Endgame rewards that are awesome, but have no real use, because it's endgame.

Back
Top Bottom