Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Annoying Things in Games

Mitsu

Supernova
Use this thread to post a general thing that annoys you about many games, or just one thing you find annoying in any particular game.

Game design that strongly favors one particular method of play-style, despite the other play-styles being represented as comparable options by the in-game information.

The artificial lengthening of a game, through repetitive, menial tasks. I find myself more and more appreciative of games that reward me for the unique feats I accomplish, and not the labor of chance and time. Why do I have to fight some enemy a few dozen times, just to find a rare weapon drop? Why can't they just make me solve a puzzle, battle a dangerous mini-boss, or win a challenging mini-game? Stop wasting my time, developers.

When developers hide useful information from the player, or make this information "easy to digest". I'm looking at you console FPS games. The refusal to show ping numbers, or give any information about ping at all needs to change. Even worse yet are inaccurate and vague indicators of weapon statistics; do not show me blocks, show me numbers.

Interesting thread, Mitsu. Lemme see ....

-When items/ingredients needed to upgrade weapons, etc. are unnecessarily difficult to find or have an insanely low drop rate: This is typically in RPGs more than anything. But gods when this is included .. urgh .. so frustrating.

-When protagonists are made too naive, immature, or just not at all interesting: This can be in any game. As of late, though, I have been noticing it more in RPGs than anything else, especially The Last Remnant on Steam. Rush's heart is at least in the right place (which I can and will give him credit for) but .. the way he's introduced. I can't count how many times I facepalmed, thinking to myself You fucking idiot ... . Another [and non-RPG example for a bit] is Jason Brody from Far Cry 3. Do you know how badly I would have given anything to have played either of his brothers instead (Grant especially)? Or even one of the other friends? Gods though, anyone but Jason!

-When side quests given to you are borderline impossible to finish at your current level and it forces you to grind: Really, why give me the option if you're gonna make me do that? So ..... urgh .....

-When the same concept/plot line is used over and over and over again: It feels often too ... repetitive. In fact, it's why I don't do many zombie/apocalypse games. Same concept more often than not with most of the breakouts beginning due to some virus, blah blah blah. Come on! Be a bit more creative? Please? The easiest route is not always the best one to take ya know?

-When the graphics look like they clearly could have been better, especially if it was a more recently made game: I get it. Games are costly to make in the first place. Fair. But there have been some I've seen on 'Let's Plays' or done a few myself and ... it just felt half-assed. Unnecessarily so at that rate. And if it had a bad storyline/something else, that just adds onto the list of 'Things that make wanna facepalm with this game' which .. yeah. Not a good thing.

-When games, typically MMOs, force you to party up --- in the very beginning: There aren't many but I have seen a few. GunZ 2 on Steam is a perfect example. I tried this because it looked good. And it probably would have been. But they made the levels so ridiculously hard that it was obvious you needed 3-4 people to clear the levels out. That just doesn't feel like something that should be coerced in the very beginning of a damn game. Later on? Sure, when you got better equipment and stuff. But literally at the start? ... No thanks.

-When the controls are unnecessarily complicated and easy to mix-up/forget: Again, this is - thankfully - rare. But I have seen them and when they show up ...
Shakes head

There are probably more but that's a few off the top of my head I can definitely say are some of the most annoying things in games for myself. Thanks, Mitsu~

LadyYunaFFX2 said:
-When the same concept/plot line is used over and over and over again: It feels often too ... repetitive. In fact, it's why I don't do many zombie/apocalypse games. Same concept more often than not with most of the breakouts beginning due to some virus, blah blah blah. Come on! Be a bit more creative? Please? The easiest route is not always the best one to take ya know?

This! It's the reason why I absolutely hated the wildly popular Final Fantasy 10. There was another game that came out for the Gamecube around this time, Tales of Symphonia. ToS had more interesting and relatable characters, was a longer game, in general, and told almost the exact same story. Only ToS told that story in a much better and more interesting fashion while using my favorite kind of graphics - cell-shading.

I played ToS first. By the time that I played FF10, I was looking at my firends going, "Sorry, I already played this game, and this versions sucks." That said, Rikku is one of my favorite FF gals of all time! I just wanna huggle her and squee!

Smile

Yay! Glad to see I made a point that got attention and can be related to.

Really though? I've only heard of Tales of Symphonia but didn't know the plot was similar to FFX. I may see about it then if that's true because FFX had a pretty good story. But characters? Not so much. Yuna was by far one of the best ones, with Auron as a close second for me. Otherwise ... I can't say I liked many of the cast which was so very disappointing.

Oh, yes. If you can find a copy of Tales of Symphonia for the gamecube, it is very much worth the effort. The main protagonist 'Lloyd' is a bit annoying at times, but he's got about 1000% more character than 'Titus' ever had or ever will have. The 'Yuna' of this game is pretty much a copy=paste of Yuna in a more anime-esque and adorable package. Hell, the game even has its own Auron in the form of Kratos, who is to this day one of the most bad-ass anti-hero characters that I have ever come across in a video game.

From there, the characters branch off and cease to be similar, and the story is much more in-depth, but the basic skeleton of the story is the same.

Invisible walls. While they're obnoxious in FPS games, it's even worse in the Elder Scrolls games where your attempts to climb up a gentle incline are thwarted by some unseen wall of glass.

Boss battles that aren't difficult and just rely on the boss having truckloads of health. There's no challenge, it's just a time sink that calls on you to chip away at the boss' trillion, billion million hit points.

Well, this isn't a design flaw, but it's still quite appropriate for the thread at hand. One of the most annoying things about team-oriented games are those kids that come into the game and flat out refuse to do anything that helps the team unless it directly pads their personal score. "Fuck the team, I'm too pro." <-- This mentality. Worst thing to happen to online gaming ever.

How reliant I've grown on auto-save features in video games. Nothing like forgetting to save for a few hours, and the auto-save did not kick in for some reason.

Thaedael said:
I am getting increasingly disturbed at the amount of games that require you to be logged into a server that is not independent from the company that makes the game, and which can be shut down arbitrary and permanently at their discretion. This is even more concerning when the game in question is a single player game, and that if they were to shut down the servers, even single player would then be locked out. This is further compounded by approaches in how games are being protected. You no longer own the game, such as when you bought a cartridge back in the SNES era, but are buying the rights to lease a game that can, in most legal text, be changed in a way that you have no say in, since, after all, you are buying the right to play the game and not own it.

This is why I have become a very selective gamer. I bought a PS4, but honestly, the moment that they announce a Harvest Moon for the Nintendo Wii U, I am trading it in. There are a number of companies that I will no longer buy from because their customer service is very sub-par and even though the game is single-player oriented, there are times that I cannot play it because of something on THEIR end. SimCity 2013, for example, had the most horrific first week of any game ever. Not just first day. Week! Minimum. Some people could not connect to their servers for almost a month. And they refused to refund anyone's purchase despite all of this being their fault. It was a massive load of BS. I will not have anything to do with Maxis ever again and I am VERY cautious with Electronic Arts.

I generally don't pay much mind to games unless they are coming from a publisher whom I know and love. Such as Kingdom Hearts. The promise of a ew one is the only reason I bought a PS4. Some day...

Thaedael said:
This is further compounded by approaches in how games are being protected. You no longer own the game, such as when you bought a cartridge back in the SNES era, but are buying the rights to lease a game that can, in most legal text, be changed in a way that you have no say in, since, after all, you are buying the right to play the game and not own it.

You've never owned the games you buy. Just because you bought Super Metroid back in the day, it never meant that you actually "owned" Super Metroid. All you ever did was buy the right to play it, like one has only ever bought the right to watch Flubber on VHS from the comfort of their homes.

I believe Thaedael's point was the fact that once you bought the cartridge, that game that you loved is forever available for your gaming pleasure... or until the cartridge got too old and failed. Modern games, however are constantly changing. The companies can mass-update the games without anyone's say, and make the game completely unrecognizable if they so choose. The game that you paid to play yesterday can turn into a whole another experience overnight and you cannot do anything about it or even demand a refund if you hate the new version of the game. Because a lot of modern games are moving toward the "always online" game model, it is becoming easier and easier for companies to change things on a whim.

I find myself with little motivation to further beat the dead horse of this discussion. It's been had many times (not on this website, but on the Internet for years), and I no longer find it particularly interesting to discuss. My reply to you was to correct something that, in your own words, simply was not correct. Your words, not mine, said exactly what I was correcting.

...You no longer own the game, such as when you bought a cartridge back in the SNES era, but are buying the rights to lease a game...

If you are going to discuss complex matters, then please take care to properly express your ideas. You will only work to misinform those that are lost to the finer points of the topic at hand.

Back on topic:

I cannot stand texture pop in. More and more it just bugs me to see it.

Mitsu said:
Thaedael said:
This is further compounded by approaches in how games are being protected. You no longer own the game, such as when you bought a cartridge back in the SNES era, but are buying the rights to lease a game that can, in most legal text, be changed in a way that you have no say in, since, after all, you are buying the right to play the game and not own it.

You've never owned the games you buy. Just because you bought Super Metroid back in the day, it never meant that you actually "owned" Super Metroid. All you ever did was buy the right to play it, like one has only ever bought the right to watch Flubber on VHS from the comfort of their homes.

to poke a dead horse, so fare there is no legal right as few cases have been won for either side, in america the precedent is you are renting it, in Europe on the other hand cases have been won to show you own the media you buy

I find myself worried by the growth of microtransactions in games, especially when this business model comes over from mobile games to more mainstream platforms. It's excessively infuriating to see a 'free to play game' pop up, when that really means 'free to download but you'll have to start venting money in if you want to get past level five, because we're just going to keep flinging shit at you.' The most common offense is the game epecting you to pay up if you want to skip absurd loading times. Bonus points on the shit richter scale if the game is wearing the skin of a classic beloved franchise (see Dungeon Keeper and Rollercoaster Tycoon mobile).

It's worrying because I think younger and newer generations of gamers are coming into the fold while this model of business is growing in popularity. To them, paying thirty real dollars for extra lives or whatever, this will seem normal. If a cash cow like say Call of Duty adopts this model of business... well that's probably going to be the end of good gaming, because once they start making truckloads of money from that then every other publisher will try and follow the leader.

Well completely removing his posts was a little over-dramatic... Anyway, I have one that I can't believe hasn't been stated yet!

It annoys me how female characters absolutely MUST be over-sexualized. I get it; sex sells and all of that jazz, and there are some characters that are designed that way because that's just their character. There are some characters, however, that the sexualization doesn't fit. These characters are made the way that they are for the sole reason of 'sex sells' despite their personas being that of a woman whom you would never expect to see wearing the kind of outfits that they are wearing. Don't get me wrong, I love my ladies, but I'm sorry. I just don't see Xing Cai (Dynasty Warriors), for example, wear what she is wearing in those games. If she bent over and wasn't wearing panties, you'd see EVERYTHING. She's supposed to be a strong and serious warrior woman. It ruins the illusion.

When PC games that should have good controller support don't. Why can't I play Mass Effect with a 360 controller, without jumping through hoops to make it work? The game WAS released on 360 and PS3. It isn't even like the PC version is in any way superior (unless you count KB/M), so it isn't like it was the definitive version or anything.

I personally enjoy most videogames...but there are another majority of videogames I cannot tolerate, and that is because these 'annoying things' are included. In fact, I have 7 things that I find tediously annoying in Videogames.

7. Long Loading-times.
I've seen lots of games deal with this for some times now. I know that a game might be heavy and that most files require long loading times, but sometimes this is beyond ridiculousness. One of the clearest examples to this is "Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex", the PS2 version. Since this game was originally built on a CD-Rom and then ported to DVD ones (don't ask me why or how) the loading times sometimes exceed the 30 seconds to maybe 1 minute, something completely unbearable.

6. Same and simplistic Soundtrack.
Music must be one of the most important aspects of CERTAIN videogames (Games like Manhunt don't need it). However, every once in a while we stumble upon this videogames whose soundtrack is simply...boring and completely out of place. Some of you might disagree with me, but I find Duke Nukem 3D to have one of the most hideous soundtracks of all time. It is a shooting game, and most of the time you are hearing this cheesy and nonsensical music as you shoot aliens. Also, other videogames like Digimon World 4 (which are dungeon based) have the same repeated soundtrack with only a few notes changed that is really boring and plain.

5. Game-Saving Limitations.
Just to be clear, Resident Evil doesn't fall into this category. Saving with ink-ribbon is perfectly fine.
I hate games which have these really hard-to-get save-points which completely spoil the fun. Crash Bandicoot 1 suffered really harshly from this, as in order to get a password or to even save your progress you had to SUCCESFULLY complete a bonus round. On the other hand, I also hate games which simply allow you to press F2 and save without any risk or anything. Quake 1 and 2 had this, for example (Along with most ID FPS games). This really feels like cheating, since you simply kill an enemy and you save, walk two steps and you save. It feels like cheating.

4. Unforgivable AI
I hate games in which the AI is given unique advantages or simply inhuman capabilites (such as super quick reflexes and global vision). I am not asking for Human-based AIs, but at least try to make them the least cheater you can. Jet Moto 2 suffered from an unique case (which I believe is still unique to this day) in which there was NO AI. In fact, the enemy vehicles were already pre-recorded by experts on the game and then set to race, resulting in absolutely perfect runs with zero to no mistakes. In case they fell, the car would warp to the position they were supposed to be as if they hadn't fallen. AND they had infinite turbo.

3. Poor plot.
Most games just throw the player into an unknown world with a happy intro and reward us with a happy or sad ending, but there is practically nothing inbetween. This is pretty much the case of most old games like the Street Fighter Franchise, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Twisted Metal, Metal Slug and the list goes on.

2. Extreme Difficulty
I hate those games in which you can only expect to do perfectly or else prepare to face the consequences. This reminds of one of my most hated games of all time, Battletoads and pretty much one of the games most people hates. In this game (Regarded as one of the hardest games of all times along with Ghosts n' Ghouls) you simply battle enemies in what seems as a simple beat-'em-up. But what awaits you is a stupidly difficult game in where you can't avoid dying and it simply keeps the game from being fun.

1. Poor Testing
Ah, how to forget those games who were either rushed or simply had poor testers. It's not that I hate those games. Of course not. In fact, the game I'm going to put in as an example is actually a game I enjoy a lot. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was a victim of those poor beta testers. I'm not saying the game is unplayable, but the HUGE amount of glitches, game bugs, ways to corrupt your save-data and other kind of irreversible glitches is beyond human comprehension. From completely locking the game up, ruining story mode with a bug and even jumping into nothingness (called 'blue hell'), this game is a glitch-o-rama feast!

When the RNG in a game is incredibly unforgiving; sometimes I just cannot believe the percentages the game tells me. I cannot tell you how many times I've been left dumbfounded and angry at the outcome of encounters that SHOULD be in my favor. Nothing like missing a string of seventy, eighty, and ninety percent chance shots in XCOM, or getting hit by a three percent crit in Fire Emblem, after my eighty-something percent chance to hit attack misses.

Mitsu said:
When the RNG in a game is incredibly unforgiving; sometimes I just cannot believe the percentages the game tells me. I cannot tell you how many times I've been left dumbfounded and angry at the outcome of encounters that SHOULD be in my favor. Nothing like missing a string of seventy, eighty, and ninety percent chance shots in XCOM, or getting hit by a three percent crit in Fire Emblem, after my eighty-something percent chance to hit attack misses.

THIS! Oh my god, THIS! It comes into play with League a lot with certain champions and item builds. Nothing is more frustrating than loosing a lane and getting killed by a Gangplank with a meager 10% crit chance in the early game all because he's somehow gotten THREE freaking crits in a row. I mean, COME ON!

Mmmm... Delicious RNG... NOT!

It's not meant for a lot of games, and a lot of games that do use it, are awful with their actual critical chances. It's like... When you play pen and paper D&D, you don't roll 20 every damn time, do you? It happens maybe twice in a row at most, I've never seen anyone roll 3 20s in one go.

I dislike umonitored servers for games or ones that host local servers. I go back to Dark Souls for this one. Why is this bad? Well imagine you are level 15 and you get invaded by a level 1. Not so bad right? Just a couple of swings with your broadsword and that level 1 human player is toast right? Wrong.

That level 1 has modded stats that one cannot have at level 1, it has endgame gear too! Oh and lets not forget the bane of existence infinite health, stamina, and divine blessing (imagine a potion that gives you full health and cures all ailments). In short I hate cheaters, I've dealt and killed quite a few in my career, but they keep coming. It just goes to show how evil some people can be without tools to hold them back (hackers in Dark Souls were not punished.) I would rather prefer a company controlled or monitored server to prevent these things from happening.

Granted, I might be a little salty since a trio of hackers decided to torment a server I was on.

Battle Bunny Riven said:
Well completely removing his posts was a little over-dramatic... Anyway, I have one that I can't believe hasn't been stated yet!

It annoys me how female characters absolutely MUST be over-sexualized. I get it; sex sells and all of that jazz, and there are some characters that are designed that way because that's just their character. There are some characters, however, that the sexualization doesn't fit. These characters are made the way that they are for the sole reason of 'sex sells' despite their personas being that of a woman whom you would never expect to see wearing the kind of outfits that they are wearing. Don't get me wrong, I love my ladies, but I'm sorry. I just don't see Xing Cai (Dynasty Warriors), for example, wear what she is wearing in those games. If she bent over and wasn't wearing panties, you'd see EVERYTHING. She's supposed to be a strong and serious warrior woman. It ruins the illusion.

-.-

As a real life feminist, I'm disappointed in myself for having forgotten this one. xD So true and so very, very sad. Most of the women in any game are capable for so much more than sex appeal/eye candy. Yet the way they're made says otherwise. And I fucking hate this.

PhantomSentinel said:
7. Long Loading-times.
I've seen lots of games deal with this for some times now. I know that a game might be heavy and that most files require long loading times, but sometimes this is beyond ridiculousness. One of the clearest examples to this is "Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex", the PS2 version. Since this game was originally built on a CD-Rom and then ported to DVD ones (don't ask me why or how) the loading times sometimes exceed the 30 seconds to maybe 1 minute, something completely unbearable.

3. Poor plot.
Most games just throw the player into an unknown world with a happy intro and reward us with a happy or sad ending, but there is practically nothing inbetween. This is pretty much the case of most old games like the Street Fighter Franchise, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Twisted Metal, Metal Slug and the list goes on.

2. Extreme Difficulty
I hate those games in which you can only expect to do perfectly or else prepare to face the consequences. This reminds of one of my most hated games of all time, Battletoads and pretty much one of the games most people hates. In this game (Regarded as one of the hardest games of all times along with Ghosts n' Ghouls) you simply battle enemies in what seems as a simple beat-'em-up. But what awaits you is a stupidly difficult game in where you can't avoid dying and it simply keeps the game from being fun.

1. Poor Testing
Ah, how to forget those games who were either rushed or simply had poor testers. It's not that I hate those games. Of course not. In fact, the game I'm going to put in as an example is actually a game I enjoy a lot. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was a victim of those poor beta testers. I'm not saying the game is unplayable, but the HUGE amount of glitches, game bugs, ways to corrupt your save-data and other kind of irreversible glitches is beyond human comprehension. From completely locking the game up, ruining story mode with a bug and even jumping into nothingness (called 'blue hell'), this game is a glitch-o-rama feast!

7. Some of these, I can forgive or even ignore. But there have been some games where I've raised an eyebrow and nearly screamed at my screen for the ridiculous time. Good pointer.

3. Fuck yes! As a writer, this applies to me for my games and roleplays. If the plot isn't decent (doesn't have to be perfect, of course), nope. I'm not gonna wanna write/play it. Or if I get drawn into a game that looked like it had a good plot but didn't in the end, I tend to get pissed and feel like I got cheated so badly. Unfortunately, as much as I love "Tekken", I agree it does tend to fall under this issue. Same shit, new game really.

2. I haven't had this problem much, thankfully. But when you encounter this, yeah. It is brutal. Ugh.

1. Yes, yes, yes, and YES! Mind you, I tend to experience it more with MMOs (I'm looking at you, Forsaken World -.-) but the problem is the same to certain degrees. Things don't work the way they should, tons of crashes/disconnecting issues, sometimes even log-in ones ... ugh! This is just inexcusable. I'd think it would be standard procedure to make sure all the bugs/glitches are gone before you release something.

I have to add one point.
Kids in multiplayer. I can't stand the usual kid crying in the mic due to him getting beaten up or his losing the game. Also, ragers yelling "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKS" when you play against them entirely ruins the fun part of the game for both.

LadyYunaFFX2 said:
Battle Bunny Riven said:

-.-

As a real life feminist, I'm disappointed in myself for having forgotten this one. xD So true and so very, very sad. Most of the women in any game are capable for so much more than sex appeal/eye candy. Yet the way they're made says otherwise. And I fucking hate this.

PhantomSentinel said:
7. Long Loading-times.

3. Poor plot.

2. Extreme Difficulty

1. Poor Testing

7. Some of these, I can forgive or even ignore. But there have been some games where I've raised an eyebrow and nearly screamed at my screen for the ridiculous time. Good pointer.

3. Fuck yes! As a writer, this applies to me for my games and roleplays. If the plot isn't decent (doesn't have to be perfect, of course), nope. I'm not gonna wanna write/play it. Or if I get drawn into a game that looked like it had a good plot but didn't in the end, I tend to get pissed and feel like I got cheated so badly. Unfortunately, as much as I love "Tekken", I agree it does tend to fall under this issue. Same shit, new game really.

2. I haven't had this problem much, thankfully. But when you encounter this, yeah. It is brutal. Ugh.

1. Yes, yes, yes, and YES! Mind you, I tend to experience it more with MMOs (I'm looking at you, Forsaken World -.-) but the problem is the same to certain degrees. Things don't work the way they should, tons of crashes/disconnecting issues, sometimes even log-in ones ... ugh! This is just inexcusable. I'd think it would be standard procedure to make sure all the bugs/glitches are gone before you release something.

This tends to happen in most videogames as of lately. Plot is something hard to come up, but back in the days they all had fresh ideas. I'm not saying that Tekken is boring and allthat for not having a story (other than intro and endings) but it could certainly help a lot more with Bios for the characters.

When you said something about bugs and crashes, it reminded me of this utterly awful and disgusting game who tended to crash and didn't have solid terrain for the most part (not talking about the awesome game Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing). I'm talking about that one where you ride on a motorcycle and sometimes you go straight through the freeway. Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom