Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Annoying Things in Games

Mitsu said:
sinfulrook said:
Silverknight said:
I must admit I am getting annoyed with all the remakes especially of games that are less then like a year old. It seems like a just cheap ways for producers to make a quick buck or at least feels like it to me.

I'm assuming you mean The Last of Us. The only good thing about the remake is that they're inproving graphics as well as adding new features... Otherwise... Why remake an already perfect game?

I don't have a problem with remakes. You literally do not have to buy them, and it's an easy way for the developer/publisher to make some extra income, which could potentially go to other projects. Furthermore, it can provide an opportunity for new gamers to play the game on the newer system. I do not see how it negatively impacts anyone.

I know that I don't have to buy them, and haven't gotten any. I know that they aren't a bad thing for a number of reasons, I just fine them annoying cause studios are throwing their resources into making them instead of making new IP. It is the way of business I know, I just find it annoying, and wish there would be new IP instead of the remastered versions of games that are rather new like a last of us or a tomb raider. Perhaps it is more a general frustration and annoyance at the lack of first and second party games so far in this generation.

I hate it when they sacrifice gameplay/replayability over graphics. I'm saying this as a die-hard fan of the Twisted Metal franchise. I loved the last installment, Twisted Metal 2012...but it didn't feel that good after some time of playing it. The graphics were excellent, no doubt of that. It was the game itself that did suffer. It was kinda neat that they focused the stories on three favourite characters from TM: Black...but the stories weren't good enough to cover their mistake of only having three main characters to play. Not only that but I also hated how they absolutely and completely centered the game on multiplayer. I really have great expectations towards Eat, Sleep & Play for their next installment. This disappointed tons of fans.

Silverknight said:
Mitsu said:
sinfulrook said:
I'm assuming you mean The Last of Us. The only good thing about the remake is that they're inproving graphics as well as adding new features... Otherwise... Why remake an already perfect game?

I don't have a problem with remakes. You literally do not have to buy them, and it's an easy way for the developer/publisher to make some extra income, which could potentially go to other projects. Furthermore, it can provide an opportunity for new gamers to play the game on the newer system. I do not see how it negatively impacts anyone.

I know that I don't have to buy them, and haven't gotten any. I know that they aren't a bad thing for a number of reasons, I just fine them annoying cause studios are throwing their resources into making them instead of making new IP. It is the way of business I know, I just find it annoying, and wish there would be new IP instead of the remastered versions of games that are rather new like a last of us or a tomb raider. Perhaps it is more a general frustration and annoyance at the lack of first and second party games so far in this generation.

I think the idea is that these remastered games take very few resources for a large return. I doubt they impact the development of other games, or new IPs, to any significant extent. Like I mentioned before, they can potentially bolster those efforts with some extra income. I'm no insider, but that's how my brain looks at it.

When I'm set up to take damage immediately after a cutscene. This has happened to me multiple times in RE6, and I'm not sure if it's a glitch, or just shitty programming.

Mitsu said:
When I'm set up to take damage immediately after a cutscene. This has happened to me multiple times in RE6, and I'm not sure if it's a glitch, or just shitty programming.

Resident Evil 5/6 were shit-holes in the RE franchise. I hated them. They departed too much from actual RE.

This applies more to board games than video games (I was at Gen Con 2014, so I have to get this off my back).

Rules that are very vague or non-existent for certain scenarios, or just are incomplete and do not explain well enough. Following that, arguing with friends over the rule where we're divided 50/50 on what we think the rule is really...

PhantomSentinel said:
Mitsu said:

Resident Evil 5/6 were shit-holes in the RE franchise. I hated them. They departed too much from actual RE.

To be fair, the plot was building to something more action oriented. Umbrella was creating BOWs to unwittingly further Ozwell Spencer's true plans. They were making weapons for battlefields, so as they become more known, as Umbrella began to sell them, things were going to move in more of a militaristic direction. Could they have done that better? Yes. The zombie was just a failed byproduct of the Tyrant project, so it would make no sense if Umbrella just sought to use them as the BOWs, and create wide-spread outbreaks. Spencer was only interested in creating a new, better humanity, to force the evolution of mankind into something perfect, and place himself as the god or king of this new world. So, from a plot standpoint, what happened in 5 and 6 makes sense, but it DOES ruin the wonderful tone of the first four games (1,2,3,CV), and fails to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was the fifth game (RE4).

BACK ON TOPIC....

When difficulty just isn't right. I can play Topsin 4 on Normal, and never lose a single game, set or match. Yet, I'm just not good enough to play on Hard. I need an in-between, ya know? The game is very much about timing, and I have the WORST timing.

Clipping. I cannot stand when I see clipping on a character model, or the objects that are attached to it. Developers KNOW that the sword is going to be attached to the character, so why is it STILL clipping through armor, horns, hair, ect. Why do legs and arms go RIGHT through bits of armor? If a character raises their arms, the shoulder pauldrons go right through the chest. It's so damn distracting and breaks immersion immediately. This is also ONE of the reasons that so many character creators (looking at you Bioware) avoid putting in long hair. They don't want to account for hair clipping through the various armors in the game.

Another thing that bugs the shit out of me is when a character is moving on the stairs, and the animation treats it like a slope. Why can't they just match each movement to each step? I've seen it done in some games.

Mitsu said:
Clipping. I cannot stand when I see clipping on a character model, or the objects that are attached to it. Developers KNOW that the sword is going to be attached to the character, so why is it STILL clipping through armor, horns, hair, ect. Why do legs and arms go RIGHT through bits of armor? If a character raises their arms, the shoulder pauldrons go right through the chest. It's so damn distracting and breaks immersion immediately. This is also ONE of the reasons that so many character creators (looking at you Bioware) avoid putting in long hair. They don't want to account for hair clipping through the various armors in the game.

Another thing that bugs the shit out of me is when a character is moving on the stairs, and the animation treats it like a slope. Why can't they just match each movement to each step? I've seen it done in some games.
Clipping in games bugs me, too, except when it comes to MMORPGs. I tend to ignore clipping without much problem in MMORPGs, mostly because I want to be able to customize my character as much as I want without restriction. I can literally spend hours customizing the appearance of my character and spend a fortune making the perfect outfit, and I love it when I can do that (though, unfortunately, there haven't been many MMOs lately with that depth... How I miss you, Star Wars Galaxies.) Too many developers lately are worried about clipping in MMOs so they make adjustments that drive me crazy... Like if your character has on a certain armor top, if you try to equip this other type of helmet the helmet will be invisible because the helmet model clips with the armor chest... Don't do that for me, let me decide whether or not the clipping bugs me enough. If I don't mind the clipping I'll wear the helmet, if it bugs me a lot then I'll wear a different helmet, let me make that decision.

It also bugs the heck out of me when the hair model changes when you equip a helmet or hat or something. You might give your character long hair and really like it, and then you equip a piece of headgear and all of a sudden your character has short hair or a shaved head. I know it's a clipping thing again but, again, let me decide if it bugs me or not... ><;;

To add to the list of things in games that annoy me... When there's no option to skip a cut scene. I don't know how many times I've watched a cut scene in a game, then there's a boss fight or something and I get killed, and instead of having the respawn checkpoint after the cut scene the developers chose to put it before the cut scene so I have to go through the scene again, and then give no way to skip the scene. So I end up watching the scene again, and again, and again, and again... Ugh, I hate that. Let me skip the friggin' scene! A relatively enjoyable game quickly becomes a chore and boring, and not to mention frustrating.

It's even worse when there's a loading screen between the cut scene and the gameplay... So you get a loading screen, cut scene, loading screen, game. Get killed... Loading screen, cut scene, loading screen, game... x.x

Ser Issac of Clarke said:
People who think graphics make the game

This I can scream on so many levels, especially when talking to people who aren't really "gamers" but want to talk to me about games. They will just narrow in on Quality of Graphics despite how good a game is or not. For instance "Nah I didn't like Minecraft, the graphics were shit." "Did you play much of it or much with friends?" "Nah couldn't take how it looked" ..."There's mods for that you know?" "Nah can't be bothered."

This infuriates me! XD

That and Lag when I'm playing a game. Especaially when it can change the outcome of a game such as in LoL for instance, a DC can cost a lane, which can cost the game. Very frustrating!

This is more about gaming culture: I cannot stand the term "rolling" characters and "toons". I cannot stand it when people say they are "rolling" a character in a video game. I understand it's a DnD term, and that it had some significance there, but it has none when you're just selecting a character on a screen. I also cannot stand it when people refer to the on-screen character as a "toon". It's the stupidest sounding thing ever.

Mitsu said:
This is more about gaming culture: I cannot stand the term "rolling" characters and "toons". I cannot stand it when people say they are "rolling" a character in a video game. I understand it's a DnD term, and that it had some significance there, but it has none when you're just selecting a character on a screen. I also cannot stand it when people refer to the on-screen character as a "toon". It's the stupidest sounding thing ever.

I have to say that I highly agree... I can understand where "rolling" comes from, and I accept its usage if there's any actual stats in the game that are randomized (Dark Souls for example). When it comes to games where there are no actual stats that are randomized (WoW, Skyrim, Guild Wars, etc.) it makes no sense, because in D&D you would pick a character's race, and class, but you wouldn't pick stats. Hence "rolling" a new character.

"Toon" on the other hand makes no sense other than the fact that the character is a "cartoon" and is animated. This term came directly from WoW during the original game when those over 30 began playing it and popularized the term among their guilds. It's annoying, and it should be demolished. They're not "toons", they're characters.

Not being able to play as 'the bad guy' in games. It's particularly egregious if your player character is stuck working for a generic and boring faction, where the 'evil' opposition is infinitely cooler, more interesting, sporting better gear and motives.

I'm looking at you Killzone.

Back
Top Bottom