Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pathfinder Interest Check

kckolbe

Banned
Banished
I'm considering GMing a Pathfinder game for a small group (3-5 players). There are a few things you should know about me as a potential GM.

1) I'm not a particularly great GM. I am still working on describing scenes with more detail and just generally lacking when it comes to the "fluff" that really sets the mood.

2) I am new to the site. I don't know which players would be good fits and which won't be.

3) I am not particularly in tune with Golarion (the Pathfinder world).

If still interested, I am looking for a small group of players to run an adventure path with, starting at 2nd level. I know 1st is recommended, but I encourage non-standard groups and character concepts and don't like seeing tedious, inspect every room type of quests, so there's a free head start.

If interested, let me know what kind of campaign you'd enjoy, any preferences regarding character types (not mechanical), posting frequency/length, and anything else you want to include.

UPDATE: Still following since new interest has sparked.

Hmm. While I would much prefer she kept a relevant royal/noble title, I would be perfectly fine with working her into the city and the spy mission was just one idea. I don't really know much about the world or the city; do you have any specific ideas for how that could work out? Could she be a noble from there, or somewhere nearby?

And as for classes, are any psionics available in the core material? I know they're in the SRD somewhere but I'm not sure if there's a distinction between SRD material and core material.

Ooh, thanks a lot, Nihilistic! (can I call you that, or...?) Lesser Noble looks like what I'd be looking for, a clever tongue and a knowledge of noble courts. I think I'll take that one, I just need to know what a relevant title would be for the area, not really knowing the setting at all.

kckolbe said:
Bucket: I'm okay not going too much into detail, but if you want to create a religious order, I will need to know the basics (alignment, basic rules/traditions, etc). Also, I'm not comfortable with psionics in pathfinder. I just don't think they have the right feel, and prefer more traditional caster classes. As for flaws, if you go to the D20 SRD, the flaws from Unearthed Arcana are all listed there.

Aw. Guess I'm out then. One of the reasons I like pathfinder is it fixed up the game while eliminating the unending stacks of 3.5 books and their... well, inconsistant quality and filler.

Me am be moving on now.

Princess (I like calling you that, knowing what it is short for ~grins~): Here is a quote from one of the guides - "two overlapping divisions define Korvosa’s aristocracy: the five most powerful families bear the coveted title of Great Houses, giving their members special privileges within the city, and 21 noble houses make up the Dock Families, allowing them to charge berthing fees on one or more docks in the city."

It is definitely possible to be a noble within the city of Korvosa. In addition to the noble families, there are also many people of importance, such as arbiters (judges, Korvosa is HEAVILY lawful), magistrates, and overseers of academies, and those of rank within churches (the Church of Abadar is not only the most powerful, but also completely controls the only non-royal bank). Being the family of any of those people is comparable to being a lesser noble.

EDIT: Also, I am not comfortable with psionics for this game. I want to stick to the core rules for the most part.

Bucket: Sorry to hear. Best of luck, and nice meeting you.

kckolbe said:
BadAnime: Half-elves are fine, but I think the draft you submitted was a human dervish dancer.

Yeah, I don't know how I missed that. I'm finishing up and making changes as I port the sheet to a friend's account on MW, and I'll have a link here once I'm done.

Wow, I missed a lot of posts.

At any rate, the tattooed sorcerer I built is here - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=866807

The general concept is a city rat; a Varisian boy who fell in love with a city girl when his family passed through Korvosa years ago. He snuck away from the caravan and was left behind in order to pursue the girl, only to find that she was stringing him along. Since then he's stayed alive in the city with a silver tongue and a healthy dose of enchantments, as well as becoming a self-taught tattoo artist in order to find a semi-respectable trade rather then lying, cheating and stealing.

So then, a daughter of one of the great houses would be okay to play? Would that fall more under the Princess trait or Lesser Noble, or would either work? If psionics aren't an option, I could play something like a bard or wizard, but I don't think the latter gets any of those relevant performance skills as a class skill, so I wouldn't be terribly good at the things all of our characters need to have.

Princess: Perform isn't a required skill for the campaign. Skills like craft and profession will work as well. A daughter of one of the great houses is fine, though you'd be looked down on somewhat to doing something beneath your station. For Princess or Lesser Noble, either works, depending on what your char is good at.

Nobody: Character looks good, glad you are still with us.

Okay! I'll build either a wizard or a rogue and post a link to a myth weavers sheet some time tomorrow. Are there set names for the major families for me to pick from or should I choose a random surname? 25 point buy, right?

25 points, yes. Both wizard and rogue are perfectly acceptable. Choose any surname, as not all of the Houses are named (I think only one of them is).

Ok, took a bit longer than I wanted it to but I have my sheet done: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=894807

Concept is a half-elf who was left with the performer group (perhaps even an offspring of one of the performers.) From an early age she had a natural affinity to two things, singing and ropes. She spent a lot of time learning songs and practicing with rope, which eventually evolved into an intricate performance where she dances with whips, occasionally while singing. Also in a bit more of the *ahem*service*ahem* aspect, well she is a gal who knows how to use rope I'm sure you can see where that's going ;P She's spent her entire life in Korvosa, working in performance and service but is still somewhat capable in a fight. After all, Korvosa can occasionally be a rough place.

If anything else is needed let me know.

All right, so thus far we have a combat bard from Bad Anime, a tattooed sorcerer from I_Am_Nobody, and a conventional bard from Micbunny. Looking good so far.

Conventional Bard except for the fact that she is going to be doing nonsense with a whip. It's only a 5 feat investment though and does allow some cool things so.... I hope being a mild gimp (no, not that) is ok. Fluff > crunch for stuff like this in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about party strength. Bards are pretty resourceful, after all. This campaign will not be a cake walk (though I strongly suspect the first few levels will be), but as long as you make use of your strengths and are aware of your limits you should be fine.

Well if we did have to worry about party strength, I did have an idea for a fightery type person, but bards are so much more fun. :)

Since at level 1 a Wizard gains Scribe Scroll, could I spend some of my starting money on scribing my own scrolls instead of buying scrolls?

Further, can I buy scrolls and then copy them into my spellbook before the game starts?

Fuck Me Like a Princess said:
Since at level 1 a Wizard gains Scribe Scroll, could I spend some of my starting money on scribing my own scrolls instead of buying scrolls?

Further, can I buy scrolls and then copy them into my spellbook before the game starts?

You start with knowledge of all 0 level spells and three (+ Int mod) 1st level spells. You may scribe scrolls of those spells. You will need to make the rolls still, since there is a chance of failure.

As for the second question, yes, you may buy scrolls and copy them into your spellbook. If a roll is required for that, you will have to make that as well.

If it's okay, I'll use invisible castle under the name PrincessBMR and notate them thoroughly along with DC so there's no chance of cheating. I know the honor system only goes so far, but as far as I can see there's no link to the website you wanted us to roll on yet, so I hope this works as a temporary measure.

If not, I guess I'll reroll everything when the link to the site goes up.

Also, I should have two more level 1 spells than that due to leveling to 2, right? And one more thing I just considered--could Scribe Scroll count as a replacement craft skill for the campaign requirement? It definitely creates something of value, even if it's only useful to a smaller group of people.

Sorry about that. The site I'd like to use is rpol.net. I'll link you to the "game"

http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=59678&date=1397987816

To answer your other questions, yes, you would have two more 1st level spells, but since you just learned them, you wouldn't have had time to scribe scrolls from them.

As for Scribe Scroll, it does have a commercial use, but I would prefer to see a skill like Linguistics or Appraise to complement it.

I have two ranks in linguistics and one in appraise as-is (both are class skills), and can put a rank or two into craft (jewelry) to fill the requirement in general if I switch my favored class bonus that way. Otherwise, as the character advances, she's probably going to pick up several other item creation feats. I even had the Hedge Magician trait and was planning on using the Arcane Crafter specialization, even though it doesn't seem mechanically very good.

If you want craft: jewelry, feel free, but not required. Scribe Scroll, appraise, and linguistics make her valuable enough. I like that you found a way to make her commercially viable without lowering one such as herself to the ranks of a common performer. Well done there.

By the way, are you going generalist or picking a certain school?

So, it looks like our final group consists of a wizard, a tatttooed sorcerer, and two bards, one of which seems very combat focused. The first mini adventure will be very easy, since spellcasters tend to struggle a bit early on and I have talked you into poor class balance. From there they will slowly start getting more difficult, and you may have to be creative in solving issues, many of which can be done without combat.

BadAnime, did you decide between human and elf?

Half-Elf. BTW, is this game gonna be on RPOL? I do have a very inactive account there, but the adult game policy there is a lot tighter then it is here; or is this gonna be a all-age game?

Back
Top Bottom