Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fellowship Of Forodwaith - LotR Group RP OOC

You're welcome Snake! I can't wait to see your lovelies :D

And at this point I think it's going more of a... platoon possibly... rather then a fellowship? XD

Don't hold off Serenity! I think it will be awesome having a bunch! Then we can all go off on different missions and such!

I tend to think a bit big sometimes >_> I swear... Mithon is not planning on building a castle >_> :p

Well, you could be a dwarf too. I mean, they can hate elves just about as bad as orcs can at times, lol

True, I'm just not sure what sort of character to create. I've never been big on LotR's lore so I know very little about cultural history beyond the widest of paint strokes.

Well, if you would like some help on the cultures and the like, I would not mind lending you a hand and being your LotR tutor? lol

Well let's start local then, what is known of this setting?

Roughly what is the technological level, movies give an impression of early middle ages with the predominance of chainmail.

How long do humans live? Is everyone necessarily long lived?

After thought, I'm pretty sure on my reading of the Hobbit that Bilbo had a clock on his mantle, does anyone else recall this because it gives some implications which I could take advantage of.

How common is prophecy, even if relatively minor in scope?

You are more or less spot on as far as the technology is concerned, although it does differ slight from place to place. Gondor, for example, has plate for most of it's soldiers while Rohan tends to use more chainmail and leather. Different cultures also have different cultural inspirations from our own world, such as Rohan being molded largely of the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings.

There are different races of humans and depending on what race of human you are, you will live longer. What determines how long you live is how closely you are related to the men of Númenor, who founded Gondor and Arnor. So, if you are from Rohan, you might live to be into your 60s or 70s if you are lucky, since they are descended mostly from men of the north. But if you were a Ranger of Ithilien, you could live well over a hundred.

I believe that Bilbo does have a clock, but since the earliest mechanical clocks were mentioned in our world around the 12th century, I don't think that is too much of a stretch.

As to prophecy, I'd say it is a rare gift and that their are different kinds. Boromir and Faramir both have prophetic dreams about the Ring, while Elrond has actual foresight, although I suspect that he sees many alternate possible futures, otherwise I imagine he would have been much more positive about the Fellowships chances.

As to the Forodwaith itself, here is the synopsis from the LotR wiki:

Forodwaith was the name both of a region and the people that lived there.

The Sindarin name Forodwaith translates loosely as Northern Waste, and was a name for the land north of the Iron Mountains of the First Age. Little was known of it, except that it was an area of immense cold due to the proximity to the Gap of Ilmen, and Morgoth's evil cold.

After the War of Wrath and the breaking of the World, the Iron Mountains were mostly destroyed, and the area of Forodwaith that lay north of Eriador became known as Forochel, together with the great ice-bay and -cape that carried the same name.

The Men of Forodwaith were a strange folk apparently unrelated to the Edain. During the Third Age they were known as the Snowmen of Forochel or Lossoth. In Unfinished Tales it was stated that they could glide on ice by tying bones to their feet.

Arvedui, last King of Arthedain, fled to the Ice-bay of Forochel after his realm was destroyed by Angmar, and the Lossoth helped him survive the winter. Against their advice he took ship to sail south, and he was drowned in the ice-bay, together with the Palantíri of the North.

-----

The last two paragraphs are the more important ones for our RP.

Plops down in the midst of everything and rests her giant sword next to her.

WELL....I'm glad I decided to hold off on creating my second character until everyone else has gotten theirs in. It'll let me know the minority race and sex wise xD!

Laughs boisterously

I think I may end up making 2 male characters just to even things out. If I do make a second male, he'll be bisexual so....that scene will probably happen, Rivine <<;;

ALSO!

Snugs snake and her dear twinny
Hi my two lovelies! <3

Waves to Nihil.
Hiiiiii! ^-^

Lower scale magic does not play into the narrative in the books much, if at all, but it is hinted at more then a few times. In the Hobbit magic is used far more freely. Usually the Istari and the Elves are the ones that use magic. It would be up to DA and Kara how magic is treated for our purposes though.

*peeks in at all the chatter...loves the chatter...snuggles her characters and then everyone joining in*

Well, I'd like to keep things as canon as possible, but not so much so that it's a detriment to to what we can RP. So, that means, for the sake of things--within reason--we can grant some leeway. I just don't want people going nutty. However, from the look of things and the group of people who are joining in, I really don't think this will be a problem. So, we can always put things up for discussion as needed when it comes along as things progress. I think that is fair enough. As for how large we get? It's ok if we get larger. We can have mini groups and have groups cross-over with each other within the RP, etc etc. That is the beauty of it all... and we can make into a semi complex story by being able to add in such elements as a result. :)

Kind of nifty!!!

@Kara: Sounds like fun! Having a scene like that will be quite interesting :)

I am so damned excited for this!

No words for my level of excitement. The very fact that both Maranwe and Brynne are starting to whisper tells me something. >.<

Also, another reminder...... those who haven't spoken up yet about whether they'd prefer a single thread vs multi thread for the group RP format, please do so. Because if we go multi, I can start setting some things up that take some time and just get that out of the way while we wait for people to finish getting up profiles, etc. This is where it's nice to have the site admin in the group. XD

o_O I didn't see the single vs. multi till now.

Hm ....

With how many people and characters we seem to have, multi might be better in this case. But I'm fine either way, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom