Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures in Barsaive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just briefly nod, mostly for Vidin's benefit, before responding to Tybolt.

"I can commit some interest, if that is what you want. I can not, however, guarantee that I will accept and offer I do not even know yet."

Tybolt smiles, "Excellent! Do head inside, you can discuss all that with my employer." Tybolt carefully guides you into the small building.

His employer, a Dwarf of middle age, stands in front of a small table. An Ork sitting at one of the chairs turns to look at you and Vidin. The eyepatch over his right eye becoming prominent on his face as he turns to look at you for that second. the Ork looks something like this.

"Ah good. I offer you many thanks for meeting with me. My name is Dorran. I am a trader here in Bartertown, and while my products vary, my usual form of trade comes in the form of a series of special shells that can only be found on a particular tributary of the Serpent River. I come from the village connected to that tributary. In order to sell these shells, I have various couriers in my employ that carry these shells from my home of Lang, and bring them to me here, as well as delivering payment and other goods to the villagers there. I sent out a small group of couriers last week, and they have not returned. This is very troubling, as I have waited several days for their return and they have not even sent any form of word out. Thus we come to you. I want the group of you to journey to Lang and see what has happened, if they are allive I would like you to bring them back. If they are indeed dead as I fear, I want you to bring back the goods they were carrying. I also want you to see what is going on within Lang, for my fears extend also to my home as well as the couriers lives. I am offering 200 silver per participant, plus all travel expenses will be provided to you. Any more questions?"

I attentively listen to the man's speech. He seems to be very forthcoming with the information,and quite honest and upfront in general, which is always a good sign. And he is offering the same 200 silver as did his ad in the tavern.

"We can of course do that ..." I begin. There are a lot of open questions still remaining, though,and I voice that concern " ... but it sounds like a potentially very risky endeavour." Turning towards Vidin I inquire "What do you think?" The smart guy hopefully will catch my hidden request to start the haggling.

The Ork chuckles a bit, adjusting himself in his seat a bit, his legs firmly resting on the table in front of him. He offers noting in way of words, nor visual explanation for his choice of expression.

Vidin looks between you, the Ork, and Dorran. "My colleague does have a point. I mean, the Serpent River is awfully dangerous at all times of the year. And if we are to see to both the safety of your couriers, And the safety of the village, we may be taking on a heavier risk than can be afforded just with 200 silver plus travel expenses.

Dorran looks to the Windling for a moment. "I understand. But I unfortunately cannot offer too much more than that at the moment. Though I do see your point. Perhaps 300 a piece. Half now, half upon your return."

Vidin shrugs for a moment, before looking at you once again. "Sounds reasonable to me."

"We have a deal then." I finalize the agreement.

My first real job.

I just do not have the time to let this sink in. But this certainl yis different from low profile caravan guard duty. likely something bad has gone down her, and the danger Vidin spoke of is more than just a phantom summoned to raise our wages. Especially seeing how readily the merchant was willing to increase his offer.

"So what can you tell us about those couriers. Who were they, what route would they likely have taken?"

Since they could have disappeared anywhere along the way there is no getting around being thorough.

The Dwarf male appears beyond pleased and relieved, "Splendid!" he states before clappingh is hands together. The Ork rises from his seat and cracks his knuckles.

"I am also interested. Though it is not my usual form of job."T he Namegiver finishes by tilting his head to the side, in an attempt to remove some form of tension within his neck.

Darron nods and thanks the Ork as well before returning to you and your question. "There were four couriers that I sent out: An Elf, and three Dwarfs. All of them were dressed in travelers garb and light leather armor. There was a strongbox with them that held payment for Lang for the last major profit that was made for the last major Shell sales." Dorran pauses for a moment, then continues "If they will be anywhere, they will have most likely made it past the first venture on the river tributary, since I always pay for my couriers to pass along the Serpent River on T'skerang river boats. The it is most likely that my couriers have hold up within the town of Lang itself. I have already made arrangments for chartering a group of adventuers down the river to the same path. From there, there is really only one path into the town proper. Your best bet is to traverse that pathway and make your way towards the village. You can make your way to the small river town of Darranis, which is only a short days walk from Bartertown. From Darranis you will board a ship known as the K'sara which is Captained by a T'skerang woman by the name of Sianndra. I suggest that you use the rest of today to make necessary preperations, and to journey to Darranis."

I listen intently to the route that Darron has described and the information he has provided. Seems like our best bet really is to track their steps and find out where things went wrong.

"Sounds very reasonable. While your description of the couriers is already very good, it would be helpful if you could add as man details as possible. After all we will likely have to ask around whether anyone has seen them, to narrow down where exactly they have gone missing."

While the dwarf is given time to ponder this I face the orc "So you are coming with us?"

Darron thinks for. Moment, "Well... I hire a rather large amount of couriers, and have a great deal many workers in my employ. As such, I cannot give too much in way of overt details I am afraid. Though, they will have a symbol on their bags and clothing, in the form of a conch shell with a half circle behind it." the Dwarf states, nodding several times as if to personally confirm his own statement.

The Ork nods his head, "Aye. My name is Lerion. It will b my personal pleasure to journey with the two of you on this endeavor."

I just nod towards the orc in acknowledgment.

"If we need to board that riverboat tomorrow I fear there is not that much time for preparations left. We need to reach Darranis by tonight, after all."

Thinking about it, there is not that much preparing I could think of, either. Go to the inn, grab my bag, that's about it. Things would be different if we were to go out into uncharted wilderness, but this seems like a trip that will keep us within the confines of civilization, with inns to provide food and shelter all along the way.

"I have a wagon waiting to take you out towards the town of Darranis. The wagon will be waiting be waiting just outside Bartertown. Give him this." The Dwarf hands you a small metalic, coin like object with three small shell like inscriptions. "This will prove that your working for me. They will take you to the town." The Dwarf states, before nodding to the group. Dorran pays you each the 150 silver up front, and let's you go on your way.
[/b]

And so about an hour later a slender elf with a large sword slung over her back - me - and a windling sitting over her shoulder is leaving Bartertown proper and on the lookout for the wagon Darron had mentioned. We had parted with Lerion earlier so everyone could go and fetch her or his belongings, and agreed to meet again at the wagon.

If they could find it,that is. Maybe the merchant's sigil would be helpful?

On the outskirts of Bartertown you see a wagon that seemingly appears as into be waiting for someone. Upon approaching the wagon and presenting the seal the wagon driver: An elf seemingly in the early years of his life cycle. He nods to you and tells you that the wagon is free to take off whenever the group is ready. A very short moment later, Lerion arrives with the group. He appears to be traveling rather light. Regardless he sets himself up upon the wagon and waits for everyone to get ready.

Within the hour the wagon is off towards the town of Darranis. After a awhile of travel, you all finally make it to the town proper. The town itself appears rather small, but as you travel further in you notice it's true purpose: the harbor. The town appears to be the entire main port of call for Throalish trade along the Serpent River. The town itself appears to be mostly comprised of Dwarfs, Elves, and the River masters: The T'skerang. While many individuals become sailors, it is the T'skerang that are the true masters of the craft. You make your way through the town towards the docks. Noticing the K'sara docked within the conjoining waters. A female T'skerang stands nearby the ship, appearing to be waiting for something.

After I jump off the wagon, give my thanks to the coach driver and hae a first look around I bluntly tell Lerion "That T'skrang woman over there might as well be the captain we are looking for. Why don't we find out?"

Without even waiting for an answer I set out, slinging my backpack over my shoulder while I already takke the first steps, weaving through the crow of sailors, harbor workers and the like, to approach the individial in question. And once withinh talking distance I blurt out.

"Good day to you, you might not be Sianndra by chance?"

The T'skerang woman nods her head. "Indeed I am. And since you are asking, I can only assume that you three are the individuals that I am to take across the river." The woman offers a smile and whistles rather loudly towards the boat itself. Several other T'skerang perk up out from various places on the ship. " Alright boys, lets make these land dwellers comfortable." she yells before leading the group of you up the makeshift step up onto the boat proper. The ship appears well crafted, at least what you have come to understand as good crafstmanship. The deck is all a buzz with activity, and the boat itself appears surprisingly large, although on second thought it makes sense for what is obviously a cargo vessel. Along the sides of the ship are a series of ropes and hooks, of which several of the T'skerang sailors use them to get from one part of the ship to another in a very flamboyant fashion.

As we follow Sianndra up onto the ship I decide to get the mandatory investigative part out of the way right away.

"Likely you already know why Dorran hired you to transport us. Just in case, though, I assume you regularly transport his couriers. If so, would you hby chance have done that about a week ago, for a group of an elf and three dwarfs, bearing his symbol on their clothing and baggage?"

Sianndra raps a finger over her chin for a few moments. "We transport so many different couriers for Dorran on this ship. Though I do indeed believe that we transported a group of similar description not that long ago, about the time you describe. We do transport a great deal of things you see, and sometimes it is rather difficult to keep track of everything." The T'skerang finishes before leading you down the short steps to the lower cabins. "We don't have a whole lot of room, as such the three of you will have to share the smaller guests quarters." She leads you to a small room on the side of the ship. The room itself is more set up for an individual, but a second mattress is set up on the other side of the room, leaving little in way of room to manuever in. A very small, pillow is set up on one of the remaining nightstands. "From here you can find your way around the ship as you please. Just stay out of the lower cargo bay, there isn't a whole lot of room for anything else down there. Other than that we will be leaving in a couple of hours, so feel free to look around if you like."

"Quite cozy..." I remark towards Lerion once Sianndra has left us alone, and I become acutely aware of my own sleeping arrangements. If the three of us are to stay in the same room it will be nigh impossible for the orc not to notice. Butthat is a problem to be dealt with later.

Sliding off my luggage and placing it into my half of the room I stretch briefly, before saying to noone in particular "Time to get to see the ship" Without waiting for a replay I am out of the room and heading upstairs again.

Lerion chuckles a bit, nodding once as he takes a moment to look around the room. If he is overly displeased he doesn't seem to show it.

The upper decks are still teeming with activity. T'skerang running to and fro, hoisting, pulling, pushing, all kinds of goods and objects. Very few crewmembers appear to be tking any form of moment for themselves, but those that do are rather animated on the stern of the ship. Several T'skerang are huddled around a small practice target. Two of which appear to be taking turns throwing daggers, while the rest are betting and laughing as the daggers hit the board. Some of the T'skerang are still swinging around, using the various ropes scattered about on the outside of the ship. Some seem to be using them to get to other areas of the ship quicker to help out, while a small collective of others seem to be using them to top one another by doing acrobatic stunts along the side of the boat.

Roughly a couple hours later, the ship makes its casual and slow departure from the dock. The sails fully hoisted, the boat moves further and further away from the harbor and begins its journey along the river. The crew are mostly relaxing now, several times during the initial part of the journey they seem to take shifts with various tasks. Otherwise they seem to huddle around the lower deck, playing various games of chance, as well as a few of the crew above deck who continue to throw daggers and use the ropes for acrobatic work.

I have no intention to stay below deck any longer than necessary, and so once my backpack is stowed away I quickly return back up.

Staying close to the rail, or leaning against it, I start to watch the shore and the lands adjacent to it. The sensation of novelty may wear off soon enough, but for now this is my first trip on a riverboat, and I am resolved to make the most of it, taking in the myriad of new sensations. The constant soft surging of the ground beneath my feet, the wild, flamboyant manner of the T'skrang sailors, even the fresh breeze blowing up my hair.

Almost an hour on the trip has passed when I finally ask one of the passing sailors "Any idea how long it will take us to reach the docking point for Lang?"

A T'skerang sailor perks up, finishing off one task or another. "We will be sailing for a day or so before we reach Lang's shores. If we have good winds, which it appears as if we will, we should reach the drop off point around midday tomorrow or so. A bit ahead of schedule." the green scaled T'skerang states before going back to work. Remaining nearby should more questions arise.

Vidin and Lerion seem to keep themselves busy in the interim: Vidin focusing on games of chance and luck down on the lower deck. Lerion on the other hand appears to be a bit more fluid. The Orc aking as much of the riverboat trip as he can it seems.

The captain remains mostly a the helm. For such a strait forward, though no less difficult, task the woman appears to be outlandish and flamboyant. Full of frivolity, and cheer as she yells orders to her crew.

That gives me another thought.

With so much free time ahead on the trip it might actually be a good idea to meditate on the events in Bartertown, just as Ognar had taught me. Maybe there will be enough time for a full reflection even, and I might emerge strengthened for the advneture ahead.

With that in mind I keep looking around for a quiet secluded spot to settle down.

As it stands, there is currently no one occupying your room within the ship. Lerion seems to predominently remain above deck, seeming to stick mainly to himself and occasionally interjecting some forms of small talk with some of the sailors now and again. Vidin, on the other hand seems to mostly remain below deck, seeming to wish to gamble and drink with some of the off duty crew.

Other than your scant quarters, which would offer a decent amount of privacy for interospection, there aren't really any good spots to achieve the level of quiet necessary. Thus while the group below deck might get rowdy, it seems to be the only option available to you.

My cabin it is, then. Once I have immersed myself into introspection the confined space, actually the whole environment in total, should have little effect on me.

So I settle down in a cross-legged sitting position, close my eyes, and turn my focus inward...

At first the sounds of a river boat, whith a decent sized crew seem to impede your ability to turn inward. But after a few moments, the world itself fades away entirely and you are left focusing on your own essance, and oneness with the forces of the warrior.

Several hours pass before you finally realize it. The group outside has seemed to wind down, which actually is the only thing that breaks you from your introspection. Seconds later, you hear the door open and watch as Lerion walks carefully inside. He bows his head, still blocking the doorway a bit. "My apologies. I can return later if you wish to continue to meditate. I understand it is essential to many Adepts." The Ork states, closing the door just a tad, still stradling the line. "I figured that with the night rolling in fairly soon, I would be heading off to sleep within the hour or so."

"Be my guest ..." I gesture vaguely towards his bedplace, still half lost in my own thoughts.

Time had passed faster than I had expected, and likely getting back to the immersion of the trance won't be as easy now. So I might as well prepare for bed myself.

"You said that part about Adepts as if you weren't one yourself?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom