Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures in Barsaive

Status
Not open for further replies.
And one of them is already lying outside, dead. I can't make this decision alone, though, so I turn to face my two my companions, looking in silence for a few long seconds first at Vidin, then at Lerion.

"What do the two of you say?"

"Well considering this is still part of what we are being paid for my vote is to help this town out." Lerion states, adjusting the patch over his eye a bit.

"Are you crazy?! I have two words for you: Corrupted Obsidimen. Have you ever faced one? No? Me either, and honestly I'd like to keep it that way. All I'm saying is that no amount of money can be used if your dead." the Windling stated, buzzing a bit around his two compatriots.

Vidin's reaction caused Lerion to growl somewhat at the Windling. "Your cowardice is indeed noted Windling. However I still have a job to do, you can back out if you like. I however, will be seeing this through to the bitter end..." The Ork turns to look at you or a moment, any sense of malice that was there earlier is gone. "I can only suggest to you that you do the same Yaiil. But I will note that I will do this with or without either of you."

"Someone needs to help the villagers..." I speak, more to myself, voicing my thoughts. "... but Vidin is right, this does not sound very easy. Maybe if we can separate them somehow?"

I keep thinking, turning over ideas in my head. "Maybe if we could get someone else to help us?" Only whom? I fear we don't have many options.

The Windling lightly huffs in defeat. A slight shake of his head the only form of indication that he had been defeated. The little pushover that he was. Cowardly, but seemingly loyal. After all he still owed her his life as per his oath.

"Hmm. If we had someone, or a set of someone's that could move quickly as a form of diversion. Maybe that would be enough to seperate one from the pack, and for us to attack it from an ambush position." Lerion says,bringing a hand up to cradle his chin as he thinks.

"I-I can do it..." the young man states, more than a little worried at his own words. "I can form the distraction as long as the three of you are ready."

My head jerks around, eying the young man. He most definitely is no coward, offering that, but does he know what he just suggested?

"Are you sure?" I therefore ask "If this goes wrong, you likely will be killed. Butchered by those twisted creatures. Are you aware of that?" I know I am not helping my cause, but I still had to say it.

The boy seems to hesitate for a moment. Careful eyes wander between the three of you, the floor, and the nearby wall. He continues to pause for a few seconds more, the indication of his refusal, and acknowledgment, of the danger seem to be the predominant reason why. However, the boy takes a slight breath and folds his arms. "Yes. I understand the danger. But... Someone has to do something. If I can be of help I want to be."

I take a step forward and place a hand lightly on his shoulders. "So be it. You will come with us."

All that is left to do then is to decide on the timing. "Do we have enough time left today, or do we better set out tomorrow morning?"

"It is getting rather late. Perhaps it is best if we leave this suicide off till the morning?" Vidin states ith a slight shrug of his shoulders, a rather defeated tone in his voice as he slumps slightly into the bench behind him.

Lerion scoffs and gives a slight nod. Patting the young boy on the back. The boy smiles a little before nodding. "F-fine enough. I suppose we should gather just outside the building tomorrow morning? I can lead you into the woods where the remaining Obsidimen were spotted last."

"That does sound like a plan" I agree, smiling at the young man. "So off you go and spend a nice night with your girlfriend, might be the last one." To take a bit of the dread out of the situation I add "But fret not, we will live on in the tales of Vidin, the Windling who knew when to fly away."

The young man chuckled a bit, his eyes going upwards a bit at the mention of a girlfriend. The motion seeming to convey a very hopeful thought process. Before too much longer though the boy nodded and made his way off towards the other side of the makeshift bunker.

Your companions shrug gently, and begin to slowly gather their possessions into careful piles in various places around the corner of the space. The others could not offer much in way of other comforts other than a few loose pillows and blankets. Vidin was the first to release a yawn and before too much longer the Windling fell like a sack of heavy bricks onto one of the odd side tables positioned in the corner, the little creature falling full to sleep within that very second. Lerion does not wait too much longer himself, and instead gathers his sleeping materials and sets it out on the floor not far away.

Within the morning Lerion is the first to awaken, even amongst the members of the village. The Ork keeping rather silent the entire time, seeming to find a way of keeping to himself. Once everyone awakens though he gets all of his things ready once again. "Alright. We have the idea. Should we go over the plan once more before we head out? I can't think it should be too difficult to ferret out a few mindless tainted Obsidimen."

I yawn and stretch as well. Due to the rather public nature of our sleeping spot I had for once forgone my usual habit of undressing completely for sleeping, and after spending the night in my clothes I feel slightly uncomfortable, not quite as rested as usual. Nothing that will hinder me in combat, though. I hope.

Getting up and starting to put on my leather armor I reply to Lerion. "Even if they are just mindless tainted Obsidimen, they still have the strength usual for their species I would guess. So we should definitely avoid to face all of them at once. But that is where our plan comes in."

Briefly I look over to where our local helper is still sleeping. The old saying comes to mind: No plan survives confrontation with reality. Hopefully that will not be as true this time. "The boy will try to lure one of them away to where we lie in ambush, and then we take care of that one. Repeat twice, and we are done."

Sounds way too easy.

Lerion nods to you, "Indeed. They will be as strong, and much more savage than their more sane brethren. We will have to keep our wits about us as we go." The Ork nods, and makes his way over to the young boy who is just finishing up some morning chores. Under his thin breath you hear Vidin whisper something like: we are doomed., and though you haven't met many you can't say you have ever met a more defeatist Windling.

The boy nods, and waves the two of you over and finally takes you upstairs, and out of the building. "Okay...We should be able to find them wandering some of the foraging paths the foragers have been taking recently..." the boy states before leading you down one of the barely kept walking paths into the wild brush.

You walk for a good half hour before the boy catches a glimpse of the creatures off in the distance. He squats down and pulls you and Lerion with you. "There they are..." he whispers, "We need to get at least one to run one way and one to run the other. Perhaps I run one direction and the Windling flies off in the other?"

"Let's observe their patrolling patterns for a bit before we make a hasty move..." I chime in. "Maybe they separate naturallly after a bit. If they decide to stick together all the time we have to think of something else. But even then we can make a more educated guess when to strike."

As I say it I do my best to observe the creatures closely. Of particular interest to me is whether they carry any form of ranged weaponry. If not, Vidin should be relatively safe luring some of them away.

The Obsidimen, or rather what were Obsidimen at one point, do not seem to carry weapons at all. In fact they seem to barely cloth themselves. Not that they would need it, after all they have very little to hide being creatures born of spirits and the land.

The three of them appear to be slightly more intelligent than an average raving frothing attack dog. The creatures nearly snarling and gargling at themselves and everything around them. Their fingers appear jagged, as if claws had been molded from otherwise normal fingers in a hasty manner. Everything about each one of these creatures seems more than corrupted, as if they had been reshaped into forms of terror. Altogether familiar, and yet exceedingly foreign at the same time. The three of them seem to act like a pack of rabid dogs, or some such similar animals.

Though occasionally each of them experience moments of individual curiosity and are pulled away from the group for moments at a time. Leading you to think that it is possible that their behavior is more than a little erratic.

As you continue to study them, one of them breaks off onto his own and charges after a small creature off in the distance.

"Now Vidin..." I hiss, doing my best to stay quiet enough while eager to make the best of that opportunity. "Those things have no ranged weaponry, so you should be safe enough while flying..."

Are they smart enough to pick up a rock and throw it? Can they actually throw with enough precision seeing how deformed their hands are? No time to ponder this now.

"Go and try to lure that one ..." I point towards the one who had departed from the group "... further away from the others."

Even as I speak I begin to draw Grove Cutter from its sheath, adding towards Lerion "And the two of us should also get moving, so we can intercept Vidin once he is far enough away"

Both the Windling and the boy take off towards the lone corrupted Obsidiman. The other two off in the distance at this point. The two of them become open targets and take off in a much faster run in the opposite direction of the two other tainted creatures. The Obsidiman snarls like some form of corrupted beast and takes off after the two targets.

Lerion wastes little time before he runs off after the creature himself, ready to strike from the bushes as soon as they think they are far enough.

(I would like two things: the first is an action you would like to perform as a "surprise", and then an Initative roll with a second action, or potential action that does not have to be set in stone.)

[Yaiil: Damage 0, Wounds 0]

This is it. The moment Lerion leaves our cover so do I, pulling Grove Cutter from its sheath even as I start running, all the while doing my best to keep pace with the orc and not get ahead of him. This way we close in on the isolated Obsidiman, and finally there is the moment to strike. Relentlessly I come down on our target, sword swinging.

[Yaiil Surprise Attack 11:d10+d8=9, should it connect the damage is 15:d12+2d6=17]

[Initiative: Step 8: 2d6 = 7]

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=11, should it connect the damage is 15:d12+2d6=17]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit in a way that can be parried, she will try to do so with 16:d12+d8+d6=17]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom