Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures in Barsaive

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the box indeed contains the payment for the shells and if the couriers - as it appears - were slain by some wild beast then the logical conclusion would be that the key to the box is stil on one of the corpses. Unless Dorran has arranged for an elaborate payment scheme to secure his transactions where only he and his trading partner in Lang are in posession of a key.

"Maybe this was done by Lightning Lizards" I proclaim my findings as I kneel down next to the dead elf once more, trying my best to ignore the stench of decay. "so let's check whether one of them still has the key to this box."

Vidin chuckles a bit at your thought. The action not one of malice, or with the intent to poke fun; rather it was a nervous laughter. One with more than just a hint of fear within it. Besides that the Windling makes no other sound.

"Hmm. If it is, then we best be careful. Never known a lightning lizard to scamper too far away from its kill." Lerion says, the Ork looking off into the distance. His hands becoming slightly more tense as they traverse down towards the axes across his belt.

As you search through the remains of the couriers, you find no sign of a key on any one of them. It seems overly likely that Dorren, and whomever is his main partner in Lang is, would have any form of key within their possession. "It looks like something else is just up ahead!" Viddin calls out to the two of you motioning towards several strange objects huddled in the middle, further up the path.

My right hand starts to imitate Lerions as it slowly rises upto the hilt of Grove Cutter sticking out from behind my right shoulder while I get back to my feet and my eyes move in the direction indicated by the windling.

If there are the lightning lizards? I have a closer look.

As you make your way, slowly and carefully towards the position; you notice that the Windling is pointing towards the direction of several more dead bodies. As you approach cautiously you notice that there are three more: a man, an Elf, and a Dwarf. Unlike those that lay before though these bodies seem different somehow. The most obvious that comes to mind is that they are wearing different clothing, and while not at all strange in and of itself, this group appears as if they came from somewhere close by. The notion that these three were from Lang comes to mind.

As your eyes scour the bodies, they seem to bear similar contortions and scars as the last set. The likelihood being that these three poor, unsuspecting, villagers fell victim to the very same menace as the couriers you found.

I rub my chin as I stand over the new set of corpses, myeyes searching for any details of significance as my thoughts wander. Finally I decide to voice my thoughts to share them with my companions, and to get feedback from them.

"Seems like Lang is suffering from a lightning lizard infestation. If that is the case we have fulfilled our assignment. We found out what happened to the couriers, and we recovered that strongbox." Just to illustrate, I raise the item in question "But since we are so close maybe we should visit Lang first, and see if we can find out more. Let's see if we can find something to help the people in Lang identify those three."

Even as I speak I am wondering if I am skilled enough already to take on a lightning lizard.

As you say that, your companions release nods of agreement. But before any of you have an opportunity to gather your things to make way for the town; two lizard like creatures crawl out from the underbrush. Their long, snarling, snouts opening to reveal a rather intimidating amount of teeth. Their bright green scales forming a strange contrast to the crackling blue energy of their eyes. Though not overly large, they seem to be young, they seem to be vicious and quite possibly hungry.

(Time for Initative!)
[Lerion Initative: Step 6: 1d10= 7]
[Vidin Initative: Step 7: 1d12= 2] (Wow...)
[L.L 1 Initative: Step 7: 1d12= 1]
[L.L 2 Initative: Step 7: 1d12= 9]

(Since I am quite behind, as per usual you can post up your Initative, and you action including anything you would like to declare at the start of your turn or before.)

[Initiative: Step 8: 2d6 = 8]

With Grove Cutter at the ready I charge the lizards. They definitely are dangerous opponents, so it is imperative to take them out before their lightning attack can do too much damage. "Focus fire on the left one!" I yell at Lerion and Vidin as I heed my own advice and bring my sword down on the creature.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=14, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=14]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit in a way that can be parried, she will try to do so with 16:d12+d8+d6=15]

L.L # 2: (25 damage, 2 wounds)

The left lizard snarls heavily, it's mouth opening wider to reveal more of its sinister looking teeth. It lunges towards you as you make your running approach.
[L.L 2 Claw Attack: Step 10: 2d8 =13]
The lizard reaches out with its vicious claw. Though you manage to block just in the nick of time to evade the jagged appendages.

You power forwards, swinging hard as you scrape hard into the creature. The snarl turning partially into a whine, as grove cutter digs into its flesh.

Lerion: ( no damage)

Lerion takes the opportunity, having pulled both axes from their sheaths at the first sound of trouble. Taking your advice, the Ork rushes headlong towards the lizard. Bringing his axe down into the creature.
[Attack: Step 9: 1d8 & 1d6= 10]
[Damage: 11: 1d10 & 1d8= 17]
The Axe comes down, cleaving a part of the creatures back leg. Blood beginning to pool from the wound.

Vidin: (No damage)

The Windling flies toward the creature. Dagger clutched hard in his hand. The Windling ready to strike hard at the creature to continue the combined assault.
[Attack: Step 8: 2d6= 4]

Vidin misjudged the distance and only manages to clip the tail.

L.L 1 ( no damage)

The lizard crackles with energy as it seems to form some sort of barely visible sheath of electricity around its body. The creature begins to move carefully towards the group.

( L.L 1 activates crackling armor)

Initiatives:
[Lerion: Initative= 1]
[Vidin: Initative= 4]
[L.L 1: Initative= 9]
[L.L 2: Initative= 5]

[Initiative: Step 8: 2d6 = 6]

The creature had taken two hits already, good. And no reason to let up, I swing around again trying to land another blow.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=24, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=20]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit in a way that can be parried, she will try to do so with 16:d12+d8+d6=15]

L.L 1: (no damage)

The strange reptilian beast hisses wildly. It's jaw lowering as its eyes flare into a level of unimagined vibrancy. Strange popping, and crackling noises reverberate through the charged air around the creatures eyes. Then suddenly, as if from the astral itself, a single crackling wave of lightning burst forth from its cold eyes. Ready to arc towards you.

[ Spellcasting test against Yaiil. Step 13: 1d12 & 1d10= 13] (versus you Spell defense this is a hit.]
[Lightning Damage Test: Step 14: 2d12= 10] (your armor, since it isn't metal protects from this so you take 6 damage.)

Yaiil:

You swing true once again, and Grove cutter slashes clean into the creatures side. The creature wailing in agony from the attack. (it takes 17 damage because it does not have its crackling armor active.)

L.L 2: (43 damage, 3 wounds.) (dead after Lerions turn)

[Knockdown test result: Step 5: 1d8= 9]

The creature stumbles hard after your impressive attack. Rolling onto its other side after your intense swing. Agony flowing through its voice as it hobbles back onto its feat.

Vidin: (no damage)

Not to be outdone yet again, the Windling flys a bit lower and concentrates on the side of the creature.

[Attack Step 8: 2d6= 8] ( just hit)
[Damage: Step 5: 1d8= 4 damage] (1 damage total)

Using the creatures vulnerable status, Vidin charges in and slashes I between one of the creatures weak scales. Just managing to penetrate into its flesh.

Lerion: (no damage)

Lerion jumps a bit, quick on his feet for a somewhat old Ork. Bringing his axe blade up to swing towards the dying creature.

[Attack: Step 9: 1d8 & 1d6=8] (also just hits.)
[Damage: Step 11: 1d10 & 1d8= 12 damage ]

Lerion buries his axe head deep into the creatures skull. The sound of hard steel splitting dense bone screams through the area. Lerion pulling the weapon free, dragging bits of brain matter and blood with it. The lizard lifeless.

Initative time:

[Lerion: 7]
[Vidin: 2]
[L.L 1: 1]

[Yaiil: Damage 7, Wounds 0]
[Initiative: Step 8: 2d6 = 9]

I clench my teeth, ignuring the pain from the patch of burnt skin where the creature's bolt had made its way past my armor. That has to wait until after the battle. On the plus side, one of the lizards is down.

Immediately I whirl around, assaulting the one remaining target.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=15, should it connect the damage is 15:d12+2d6=20]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit in a way that can be parried, she will try to do so with 16:d12+d8+d6=19]

Yaiil:

Your swing strike true into the creatures side. The blade cutting deep through the creatures scaly hide. Red beginning to mix in large quantities admits the green scales.

(you do 14 damage to the creature, it takes 1 wound as a result and on its turn will see if it's knocked down.)

However, something odd seems to occur. The crackling energy that rushes through the creatures hide arcs through the weapon. Sending electrical jolts to spasm towards you:

[Spellcasting test vs your Attack test result: Step 13: 1d12 & 1d10= 15]

The electricity finds its way into your skin. Energy coursing through your body.

[Crackling Armor Damage: Step 15: 1d12 & 2d6= 17] ( Minus your armor puts you at 13 damage; you also take 1 wound; and get to make a strength test to see if you are knocked prone. The difficulty for that test is: 7)

Lerion: (no damage)

Rushing towards the beast, Lerion swings with his hand axe once more:

[Attack: Step 9: 1d8 & 1d6= 5]

Lerion misses poorly, the creature managing to fumble its way past him as the Ork comes in.

Vidin: ( 1 damage)

The Windling, comes in from the rear, attempting to burry his small dagger into the creatures back:

[Attack: Step 8: 2d6= 7]
[Damage: Step 5: 1d8= 7] (creature takes 1 damage total after armor reduction.)

- [Creatures Spellcasting test step 13: 1d12 & 1d10= 14] (hit)
- [Crackling armor damage: step 15: 1d12 & 2d6= 4] ( Vidin only takes 1 damage)

L.L 2 (15 damage, 1 wound)

[Knocked down test: Step 5: 1d8= 13]

The creature manages to find its footing, staying upright even though it seems to be severely struck by your blow.

The creature attempts to claw at you, a look of incensed desperation seems to overwhelm it.

[Attack: Step 10: 2d8 = 9]

The creature manages to get nowhere with its swipe. Your sword blocking its claw as it attempts to mangle you.

Initiatives:
[Lerion= 5]
[Vidin= 9]
[L.L= 3]

[Yaiil: Damage 20, Wounds 1]
[Knockdown test: Step 7: 1d12 = 1]
[Initiative: Step 8: 2d6 = 5]

The electric backlash hits me with full force and straight away knocks me right off my feet, even catapulting me backwards a yard or two before I hit the ground hard. It is mere instinct that I don't let go of my sword, but as my vision seems to blur and unconsciousness performs it's alluring call I wonder if that is the wises weapon choice. So even as I try to struggle back to my feet I look out to the dead couriers? Did one of them maybe carry a nice big axe with him, or some good polearm?

[should Yaiil get attacked and hit in a way that can be parried, she will try to do so with 16:d12+d8+d6=23]

Vidin: (1 damage)

Vidin feels electricity sting at him for a moment. Yelping a bit, but showing no direct signs of full damage. The Windling than regains his balance and swoops in for another attack.

[Attack: Step 8: 2d6= 8]
[damage: Step 5: 1d8= 7]

Vidin feels the sting of the crackling electricity as his dagger jabs into the creatures hide.

[L.L Spellcasting: step 13: 1d12 & 1d10= 6]

But the electricity didn't seem to penetrate too hard, causing the Windling only very minor miscomfort.

Lerion: ( no damage)

The Orc seems to be in a form of deep concentration. Charging forwards at the beast with his axe at the ready:

[Attack: Step 9: 1d8 & 1d6= 10]
[Damage: Step 11: 1d10 & 1d8= 11]

Lerions axe catches the creature off guard, cutting deep into the creatures side creating a second large wound.

[L.L Spellcasting: Step 13: 1d12 & 1d10= 8]

Lerion just managing to bypass the arcing electricity of the creature.

L.L ( 21 damage, 1 wound )

The creature looks bad, as if barely able to move on its own limbs. Blood running over its scales in large quantities. The creature roars out as best it can before falling to the ground unconscious. The electricity surrounding it dissipates as it falls to the ground.

I breath a deep sigh of relief as I see that second lizard go down. But this is not over yet, and I am not going to take any risks. So slowly approaching the prone beast I lift my weapon for the coup-de-grace.

You bury your blade deep into the creature,slaying it utterly. The creatures blood, (whatever was remaining), paints the upper portion of your weapon. The creatures lifeless body seemingly a shell of any form of its former glory. As you rest your blade, you feel surprisingly calm and collected. You take a quick moment to study the fallen creatures, finding a rather quick way of cutting each of their eyes. A small hint of their power still radiating from the four orbs.

(You get 350 legend points; and once you get into town you can sell those eyes for roughly 75 silver pieces an eye.)

As you take a quick moment to rest and recover your eyes scan the immediate area. The charred bodies still huddled over the small and thin makeshift road. However, you also notice something else. A small trail of blood seems to wander off the beaten path. Taking a moment to follow it brings you to a couple of other bodies. A strange dagger rests in a destroyed bag nearby one of the bodies. This stone carved weapon seems ill fit for any of the individuals that seemed to be carrying it. As you look over the corpses, they seem to have been eaten a bit by the lizards just as their cohorts.

I still feel sore, and every move that involves the muscles that were hit by that creatures lighting hurts badly so I want nothing more than to get to Lang and get myself some much needed rest. So it takes a conscious act of willpower to keep going and further inspect the scene.

Picking up the stone dagger I ask my companions "Anyone have an idea why someone would want to use this instead of a metal one?" While waiting for the response I crouch down and take one good final look at this sclaughter scene.

Lerion approaches cautiously. While not looking any worse for wear, the Ork appears to be slightly fatigued. He nods, taking a long look with his working eye at the weapon. "I know that some Obsidimen use stone weaponry instead of metal. Perhaps there is an Obsidimen life rock around?" The Ork shrugs a bit, before trying to help you a bit. "We should find a way of getting you to shelter soon. Those wounds need to heal." he says.

Vidin remains mostly silent. The soft buzz like flap from his wings the constant indication that he is even there.

"Now THAT is a very good idea!" I proclaim, immediately followed by a brief wince. Must have used the wrong muscle again. "and my guess the closest shelter nearby will be that village, Lang. Can't be much farther, can it?"

With that I finally sheathe Grove Cutter - very slowly and carefully - and then begin to return back to the main path.

The Ork exhibits no hesitation as he hurries himself towards you as you wince. He gently places your arm over his shoulders, and helps to prop you up some nearly encouraging you to lean against him. "I am not sure. Perhaps we should let you rest a bit before walking into the town."

"Would probably be for the best. We don't have to set camp or anything, just rest nearby." Vidin says, landing on the ground very close by.

(In the intervening time you can make a recovery test, that is as long as you rest for a few moments. However, if you decide to go straight on you will be able to make one more recovery test before you actually reach the town. Up to you if you want to take both, or just the one.)

"Resting sounds good in theory..." I tell the two " ... but I have no idea how many more of those lizards are still out here, and I am currently not in the condition to find out. So we better head into the relative safety of that town as soon as possible."

So I gently step away from Lerion and begin marching.

[Recovery Test: Step 6: 1d10=5]
[Yaiil: Damage 16, Wounds 1]

Your fellows appear slightly hesitant, but do not seem to question the descision. The three of you walk, at a mostly clam pace, for roughly over an hour. Little in way of conversation seems to pass between the group. As the path winds down a sight befalls the three of you.

Darron was right to worry about the town of Lang. For the town seems to slightly smolder. The village appears nearly abandoned, almost like a ghost village. 20 or so small buildings appear to be scattered across the landscape many of which appear to have holes and damage as if someone was trying to get inside them. Other buildings seem to have been burned, and while their foundations appear to be relatively intact, there is certainly no indication that they could be put to good use anytime soon.

Amidst the chaos of the surroundings; one building in the center heart of the town appears mostly intact. Little in way of direct damage appears to have fallen that building. A single solitary bastion in the midst of destruction.

"Ahh well, would have been too convenient to find the village still populated, I guess." My shoulders slumpat the sight of what had been a prospective safe heaven to rest and recover. "Apparently those Lightning Lizards were quite busy."

What now, though? The ship to bring us back won't arrive until tomorrow, so we do have to spend the night somewhere. "Let's check out that one intact building. Maybe we can stay there during the night, and head straight back to where the ship can pick us up tomorrow."

"I don't think mere Lightning Lizards could have done this..." Vidin states, as he appears utterly bewildered at the destruction around the town. Lerion on the other hand seems to say not a single word, his features remain as stoic as ever.

As the three of you move closer towards the remaining building, a sight befalls you. A small pile of dead bodies are gathered Hal hazardly around the central square. One human, a Dwarf, and what appears to be an Obsidiman. However this one looks... Different somehow. The creature appears twisted in some strange way. As if some form of twisted corruption has befallen it.

Carefully I take one more step towards the dead obsidiman. I do keep my safe distance, though, or at least what I consider safe, as I inspect the corpse closer.

What on earth have we stumbled into here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom