Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

No Turning Back (Alvis Alendran&SHARPii)

Her cheeks were already red and at this point, they were even redder, probably making her looking like a ripe tomato being squeezed so much until all its juices just went kablam! Probably a very dirty reference but that’s how she felt when he actually made a response about her own comment, her very deeply innuendo-filled comment. Esther looked up at him, even if it felt so difficult to do so out of her shyness and embarrassment, and she nodded. “Right.” She whispered and looked down, doing what she could not to lean up into him or press her lips to his own again. He was an addiction. A very dangerous one.

“I’ll get on those straight away, sir. Thank you.” She took the stack and after a quick check of herself to make sure not a single part of her was out of place, she turned and quickly left his office. Without so much as ay real parting, she opened the door and slid her body through the bit and shut it behind her. Her cheeks were still flushed and Mallory was looking at her.

“Wow, took you long enough.”
“Pardon?” Esther asked, becoming even more flustered as she did her best to avoid her gaze.
Mallory just smiled and shook her head. “I take it Mr. Trenton was very forthcoming then?” She propped her chin on her hand and tilted her head, regarding her friend with amusement.

Esther blushed heavily and cleared her throat. “Um, yeah.”
Mallory giggled and stood up, pulling her to her. “When did this happen? Come on, you’re sitting on awesome gossip. I won’t tell a soul.” She whispered.

All she could do was just smile and she side stepped her friend. “I have runs to make.” She giggled and then she turned and walked away but with an extra pep in her step, Mallory noticed. Oh, it felt like she was in high school again. A silly little freshman giggling over the hottest guy in school.

Once Esther had left the office, he sat down, and opened the drawer that held the report he needed. He absently flicked off the noise cancellation system, and checked it. He had to shake his head. Out of place t covertly place buttons, he'd had to double task one of them, and that had been one that went well together. He decided to spare Esther teh thought that the soundproofing was also keyed to the closed circuit surveillance in his office. Now that was a situation that would likely cause her no small amount of embarassment. Oh well, that was for a later date.

The report as getting thick, which annoyed him. It should have been resolved a long time ago, not persisting this long. Almost a year, and it just refused to stay buried. He set it out to remind himself of the chain that led him here. The break-in, and theft. The thief being caught before escaping, but finding that she'd gotten information out through a satellite link. A secretary at his second office finding out, and having to deal with her. And now this... reporter woman. It had been a while, but he knew that there would be a few more players involved. Someone had to keep stirring this up. This time though, he planned to make sure that he got rid of the whole problem in one go.

The file processing center was a riot of activity, but a riot of well orchestrated activity. Each processor had a small office space, with a specific area that had to remain free of anything, since it was where runners awaiting a response would stand. The Mr. uther wiped a bead of sweat from his face as he packaged up his ninth file. He'd been productive today! he only hoped his supervisors would take note.

Her first stop was going down to the file processing center. This was something she was used to. Going down to different departments of the firm to return papers back if they needed corrections but she still had always been uneasy about it. She hated to tell someone above her that their stuff was bad and had to be redone. Sure, Esther didn’t use those exact words but found a nicer way of saying it but still. It seemed like who was she to say anything? Being a runner kind of felt like doing the dirty work of those who didn’t want to do it themselves but who was she to complain? She was now on a great meal plan here and this place took good care of her as far as paying her. For a runner, she made quite a decent bit and then the bar was the perfect addition. What she needed. Sure, it was hectic and she wasn’t having enough time for just Esther but in the end, it’d be all worth it.

When school loans were finished being paid off, then she could start living. That’s why everything was so difficult and tight on funds. Most of her paycheck went to payments for school and the rest was covering the bare minimum. A hole in the wall apartment that didn’t even cost five hundred a month, a car of her own that she had since before her parents died and knowing a family repair man who knew her since she was just a little girl who gave her great deals. She had it all. Sort of.

Arriving down, she spied all the names on the cubicles until she found one with a ‘Luther’ on it. Walking to it, she knocked on the outside and then put on a smile. “Hi, Mr. Luther?” She asked and took the first of the pile and handed it to him. “Mr. Trenton would like a response. I have other runs to make, I’ll be back to pick it up before lunch okay?” She said softly and then left him, going on to continue her runs throughout the firm. She checked in with Bree Larkin before she went to do her runs outside of the firm. She warned her not to take a lunch but to come right back here before lunch. Seems she got the memo too.

Esther did that. She left, did her runs, got herself a coffee because lord knew she needed it if she was going to survive today and any other potential time with Harrison before coming back to the firm. She stopped by to see Mr. Luther and didn’t even have to open her mouth. He simply thrust the file back into her hands, looking both angry and just downright insulted. What did Mr. Trenton do?!

She didn’t ask. She simply took it, sipped her coffee and turned so quickly, walked so quickly, she didn’t even look back when Mr. Luther called after her. She practically hightailed it to Mr. Trenton’s office. Mallory wasn’t there so Esther just walked to the door and knocked on the door, file tucked under her arm and coffee in her hands. It was her favorite drink from the closest Starbucks on the way back to the firm. White chocolate mocha with a bit of vanilla in it and two extra shots? Oh yeah. This did the trick. She was a well known caffeine junkie. She needed it. It’s really about the only thing that kept her going since she surely didn’t eat enough to get energy from that. Esther knew. She was already waiting for the day she’d collapse. It was bound to happen. It happened once during college. It’d happen again. Throw sex into the mix. Oh yeah.

Harrison closed the file calmly, knowing that he would have to make sure of things this time. It was getting messy now, too many dead or dying people had surfaced, and what was worse, he knew that it still might not be over. Esther had known the reporter. Old friends the police report said. And they'd met that same day she was killed. But that wasn't confirmed as significant. He'd have to find a way of determining what had been passed between them that day, see if there was anything significant to be had. In the meantime... he checked his watch.

He was rather fond of this watch. He disdained the standard wrist watch, and favoured a pocket watch. It had been the first large purchase he`d made after law school. Lloyd had simply nodded in approval of it. Cased in platinum, it was not something he'd had made for himself. He'd wanted a watch with a little history behind it. This one was by now more than one hundred and ten years old. The components had been replaced once or twice, bu one could not cheat the march of time on anything. Not even a device used to track it. It was getting close to lunch, and he heard a knock at his door. He assumed it was Esther, since his secretary would have buzzed herself in.

He opened the door, feeling a touch foolish for making himself plainly visible, and ensuring that Esther wouldn't be entering his office again this time. Too many temptations coming from that particular line of thinking. He did give her a smile.
"Good timing Miss Martin. Did Mr. Luther take his termination with some grace?" He said to her, holding out a hand to accept the file from her.

When the door opened, she saw he was in the way. Aw, no office visit this time? She didn’t mind. She needed to recuperate still after that, hence the very special coffee she got for herself. Handing the file to him, she was taking a sip of her drink when he mentioned Mr. Luther’s termination. She nearly chortled on her coffee, managing not to dribble it down her chin or even spit it on Mr. Trenton’s fine suit.

Swallowing, she looked up at him with wide eyes and then her cheeks flushed. “Oh.” Was all she said for the moment, letting it sink in. Well that certainly made sense. She didn’t see Mr. Luther’s reaction when he opened the file or even knew what he was to expect when he would open it. She figured it was just something between the man and Mr. Trenton and didn’t want to know, neither was it her place. She was just a runner after all.

Looking back up at him, she blinked her eyes and smiled nervously. “Thank goodness I ran. He seemed very angry, to say the least.” She said softly. “So, I suppose not, in answer to your question.” She hastily took a long sip of her coffee, the last of it and held the empty venti cup. Yeah, she needed that much, figuring how today had been going and since she was still exhausted from last night.

Clearing her throat, she asked, “Is it lunch time yet?”

Harrison only sighed as she explained the reaction from Luther. It was regrettable, but not unforseen. Security was already on the way to show him out.
"Unfortunate, but you certainly did take the right approach. And yes, it is about the time for lunch. The caterer should have set things up by now, so follow me." He told her calmly. He gave her a quick smile, before his face fell into the normal business look he normally had. The offices were a riot of activity, like normal, but there was a specific course that Harrison led her along, one that for whatever reason, always seemed clear. It had a few more twists in it, but it was far quicker than trying to go straight to the room.

He pushed the door to the room open, not surprised to see a few people already inside, eyeing the trays. They all knew better to dig into the before Harrison arrived to make sure it was everything they'd ordered. He checked them carefully. Each dish that needed it sat on a warming tray, and was manned by a caterer. It was a good haul for the day. Stuffed lobster tails, follwed by a tray of bite sized filet mingon, carefully wrapped in bacon to keep them moist. Small quiches were laid out, as well as a tray of what looked like baked crab puffs. Seemingly drastically out of place was a plate covered in thick sandwiches. He nodded to the caterers.
"Excellent work, as per usual." He told them, and he lifted a half sandwich. Top end roast beef, smoked turkey, and ham, combined with Cheddar, Havarti, and Monteray Jack chees, loaded onto a fresh baked dark rye bread. It was the very image of what he wanted in a sandwich. He took a bite, savoured it, before nodding to the others in the room. He swallowed. "All of you, this is Esther, she just got onto the plan, so do make her feel welcome, and walk her through what's good here." He told them all with a lighter tone that made him seem less like their boss, and more like just another man here to eat.

Two women approached Esther, smiling.
"Hi! I'm Mary, and this is Sylvia." One of them said, holding out a hand to shake. "You're going to love this!" She promised.

Esther simply nodded her head, though she did catch his smile before his etiquette returned back to that of a man in charge, of her boss, as opposed to the man she knew behind closed doors. She fell in stride behind him, watching the way he led her. It was like a journey of its own and she actually never went through this part of the firm. It was a huge building as it is, all floors dedicated to certain aspects and fields that produced the entire working law firm. It was a beautiful place too, clearly showcasing the excellence in expenditures on the firm that also represented the class of its lawyers and workers as well. She felt so out of place here. Even if she was just a runner, she certainly didn’t live like one. Though how a common runner—despite working at a top notch firm—was supposed to live, Esther had no idea. Perhaps the way she was. Bare minimum and working a second job just to be able to have some sort of life. Yes, this was exactly the way she saw her life panning out.

A small sigh escaped her lips, she holding the empty venti cup in her hands though now exposing it when they passed a trashcan. When Harrison opened a door that led to a throng of people, who seemed as hungry as Esther was, she stepped inside after him and then her eyes lay upon the grand feast about. Her mouth instantly watered and she swallowed hard. Had she known about this meal plan earlier she would have jumped on it. Gourmet food. She wanted a bit of it all. Then he acted like a little tease and took the first bite of a sandwich she wanted so badly to sink her teeth into. She watched him like a hungry little puppy, her lip almost quivering. Clearly, he liked it as much as she wanted to have it. The moment he said they could all dig in and go for it, Esther was about to make a grab for a tray when two women walked up to her. Ugh, he had to introduce her, didn’t he? Now she couldn’t get to the food yet.

She never had a quiche before. And it looked so delicious. She caught a whiff of all the food as she pried her eyes from it and her stomach growled, though not loud enough to attract attention or to tip off the two ladies that introduced themselves.

“Lovely to meet you.” She shook both their hands and then nodded her head. “I don’t have a single doubt about that.” She laughed slightly. “I’ve never been within reach of such…” She paused and looked longingly at the food before tearing her gaze away, as if it was such a chore to do. “…delicious food. Real food. Not the stuff that comes in frozen packaging.” This shocked both Sylvia and Mary and they shook her head.

“You starving little puppy.” Mary frowned. “Well go on. Have at it.” Both women pushed Esther to the food. Though the minute a plate landed in her hands, Mary snatched it and started loading up food onto it. “You’re far too thin. You need to fatten up a bit.” She and Sylvia took a peak at Esther’s bum. “You really need to fatten it up.”

A woman walked over to them, chocolate skin and a mane that was tied neatly into a bun. She was voluptuous, curvy and knew she rocked her figure which made her exude such incredibly confidence. Esther smiled at her.
“I’m Tasha. Nice to meet you.”
“Likewise.” She smiled.
“Look how thin she is! She’s been starving herself.” Sylvia chirped, loading some quiches onto Esther’s already full plate. She took a sneak at it. It had two halves of those incredible gourmet sandwiches. She had to bite her lip to refrain from smiling broadly. How had she not met these people earlier? They were like a family she longed for.
Her head and attention turned to Sylvia and she frowned. “I have not!”
“Have too!”
“No, I’m just—“ Then a plate was shoved into her hand.
“Save it baby.” Tasha said, coming around to her side and put her arm around her shoulders as she sipped a glass of water. “You stick with us and you won’t need to worry about starving.”
“Really, I’m not starving.”
All three women turned to give her a look and Esther’s cheeks heated up.
“Not anymore you aren’t. If I find you haven’t eaten, I will shoved a fried twinkie down your throat, understand?”

Esther gulped and then nervously smiled. “Yes ma’am.”
Tasha’s lips twitched in a smile and she nodded her head. “You’ll do just well here. Come sit with us.” Esther didn’t have time to say anything on the contrary. She was pulled by the three ladies to the table and sat down. With a few bites of food, all four of them were in deep conversation. Esther hadn’t looked so animated in such a long while and neither had she been able to converse with so many people in along while. Considering what happened to her best friend, this was a lovely treat. Food and warm ladies who accepted her and took her under their wings.

Esther chanced a glance towards Harrison and she smiled softly and warmly before turning her attention back to the women. She ate happily, full after that plate—then again, it was like a meal suited for a Joey Tribbiani—but remained until it was time to get back to work. She didn’t want to be away from these women. They were like her soul sisters.

Before departing from the lunch room, they all gave her their numbers and demanded hers in return, promising that if she needed anything, all she had to do was give any one of them a call. She felt absolutely touched and left in really high spirits. She returned to see Bree for more runs or any other work with a broad smile on her face.

Harrison made to return, when the door opened again, and his eyes widened a little. The last person he'd expected to see had entered.
"Lloyd! What are you doing here?" Harrison asked, his face fighting between confused and overjoyed.
"Well, I own the place! And I was hungry, so I thought I'd see what you were spending the meal plan money on. And I see...lobster, filet...christ, Harrison, something special going on?" Lloyd asked. Harrison shrugged.
"It's Tuesday." Both men laughed. It was different with Lloyd in the room. Harrison felt younger, like he was still in law school, as though things were still simple, and would remain simple.

Lloyd was not a big man, three inches shorter than Harrison, and likely only two thirds the weight. His hair was thinning early, but he held himself with a loose gait that marked him as carefree and relaxed at all times. He was a decent lawyer, but nowhere near as god as the others that made up his best men. He'd been put in this place by his father, inheriting a powerful company, and being smart enough to know he wasn't good enough to make it run. So he'd recruited the best he could find, and put them in place to run the day to day of the place. Harrison still had nothing but respect for a man who knew his limits, and Lloyd was one of those. Lloyd popped a lobster tail into his mouth, and rolled his eyes in pleasure.
"God damn it, I'm coming here every Tuesday if this is how you feed people." Lloyd declared.
"It's like this every day. It's why we make you wait a year to get in on the plan. And besides, you were the one to show me what a stuffed lobster tail was." Harrison pointed out. Lloyd snagged the last half sanwich. He brandished the food like a pointer.
"And you showed me what a good sandwich was! Probably the cheapest thing here to make, and still one of the best tasting!"
"Call it even?"
"Deal!" Lloyd took a bite, and smiled. He paused, adn looked at Harrison.

"Harry, who is she?" He asked after swallowing. Harrison blinked.
"What?" He asked, wrongfooted.
"Old friend, don't pull that shit with me. I know that look. You've a girl on the line, don't you? What's her name? And what does she do? Out with it man!" Lloyd was looking animated and happy, acting like a teenager. Harrison sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose. Squeezing his eyes shut, he cursed aloud. Lloyd barked a laugh. Still able to see right through him. Some things never changed.
"Esther. She's..." Harrison hesitated.
"The mayor's wife? A senator's daughter? No wait, let me guess again! She's...my long lost daughter!" It was all such a grand joke to Lloyd, everything aroudn him was there for his amusement. It was what had made him so many friends in his life. It was usually endearing. Right then, Harrison would have gleefully strangled him.
"She's a runner in the firm." He finished. Lloyd barked out a laugh.
"That's great! Salt of the earth and all that! Someone without their head up their ass! About time Harry! Just makes sure she doesn't try and sue for harassment or some damned thing."
"No fear of that. Trust me."
"So when do I meet her?"
"Two weeks from never." Lloyd smirked.
"Oh yeah? Challenge accepted Harry." He turned, and walked out of the room, sandwich in hand. Harrison sighed, wondering what his old friend was up to now.

Lloyd appraoched Bree Larkin, and looked at the people around her.
"Hey Larks, keeping okay?" He asked her. Bree started, but nodded.
"Mr. Lloyd sir! I didn't know you were cmoing by today!" She half stammered.
"Kinda the point. Anyway! You have a...Esther working for you?" Bree flicked her eyes over to Esther without thinking. Lloyd smiled, and turned to face Esther.
"Hi there miss. I'm Lloyd, the other senior partner. Come with me please." He led her towards an office that hadn't been opened in close to a year. he unlocked the door, adn stepped in. Fortunately, the cleaning staff had been through it, keeping in top shape. "Sit down miss Esther. We need to talk, you and I." He shut the door, and waved to the chair in front of his desk. It was a large, plush leather thing. It was clear that lloyd felt his guests should stay comfortable in his office. He slid into his own seat, and swung his feet up onto the desk with a swift movement, leaning back.

There weren’t many runs left for Esther. She just had a few and they were all in the firm. What Bree had her doing was sitting beside her to show her how to do something. One of the workers, Leanne, had to leave early. She got a bout of morning sickness and had been in the bathroom for a little too long and too frequently. Bree sent her home just moments before Esther came over after lunch. Now she needed her to fill in for her. Which was allowed. It wasn’t necessarily part of her job but neither was it bad or illegal to do. She liked to help and liked to relieve some of these hard workers of their job. They had families too. She didn’t and she didn’t mind the extra hours. She wanted to keep her head busy. If she had time to think, it could prove dangerous. Sure, she might be overworked and actually exhausted but she wouldn’t say anything.

She watched and listened. She was also astounded at Bree’s change of attitude towards her. Sure, the woman probably hated Esther now more than ever after being told by a senior partner, but she didn’t let it show. It’s good. She cared more about her job than being a bully who never left high school.

“Here, try it.” Bree offered and Esther tried. She found she understood it. It wasn’t hard. Just some data-processing stuff in a spreadsheet but Esther didn’t know how to work a spreadsheet, the way animals who didn’t have opposable thumbs couldn’t grip like humans could. But she was getting a grip on this after Bree showed her.

“Fantastic.” Though her tone wasn’t enthusiastic, Bree was actually impressed with Esther. If anything though, it just made the woman hate her that much more.

Esther got to work and hadn’t registered that the other senior partner, Mr. Lloyd had walked up. Even when he spoke. It was only when Bree said his name did Esther’s head shoot up from the computer screen to look at the man. Holy hell! She hardly ever saw that guy. She might have seen him once, might have. Other than that, she thought of him as the cool ghost of the law firm. He was there but you never saw him. So she thought at least.

Even more, he was asking for her. Her head ducked and she even slid down into the chair. Yet somehow—damn that betraying bitch!—he knew who she was all because of Bree Larkin. She wouldn’t last during an interrogation. Not one bit. Because one look gave it away. Clearing her throat, Esther stood and straightened her clothes out. “Mr. Lloyd, a pleasure.” She held her out but he seemed to be on the go. She followed, abandoning her post for a moment. A senior partner kind of took higher priority at the moment and she was worried why he would want to talk to her of all people. She was a nobody at this firm. Just a runner.

Walking into the office, she felt the intimidation of her surroundings. It was such a nice office and the chairs looked too good and comfortable to be true. Still, as he offered her to, she sat down, her legs closed tightly together and her hands in between them. It was a seating of major nerves. She was a bundle of nerves right now. Why did Mr. Lloyd want to talk to her? Whenever her parents used to call for her or say something that could incite she might be in trouble, she always asked if she was. Here, it was the same thing. She couldn’t help it. Even if he seemed so chill and relaxed, she certainly wasn’t!

“Um, am I in trouble, sir? Is it about Leanne going home and me doing her work? I didn’t think it a problem. Everyone works so hard here. I just want to help in any way I can, if I can, when I can.”

Lloyd grinned at her. It was an infectious grin, and he seemed so at ease with the room that it was hard to believe he was the main owner of one of the biggest firms in the country.
"That's a nice attitude Esther. Can I call you Esther? Good, thought so." He didn't actually give her a chance to respond, taking it for granted that she was probably half terrified that she was about to be raked over the coals. "And my God, you are in so much trouble it's not even funny! After all, you're apparently tangled up with Harrison Trenton of all men! Are you completely out f your damned mind girl?" He asked her, the grin never faltering. His chair was tilted back on it's feet, and heslid his feet a little, getting a better grip. The move actually toppled his chair over backwards, depositing him onto the floor. He made a most undignified yelp as it happened.

"Imposing as always old friend." Harrison drawled from the door, shutting it behind him as Lloyd scrambled back on the quickly righted chair.
"Fuck you too Harry! The hell don't we have chairs that tilt normally in here?" Lloyd demanded.
"Because you wanted something that stayed where you put it, and wouldn't roll away."
"Oh yeah. Damn it. Anyway, Esther! This guy, really?"
"Come off it Lloyd. You've met her, adn have had the fun of terrorizing her. You should let her go."
"Sure, for now. But I think she shuld come up to the lounge after work."
"The lounge?"
"Yeah, you know that place we put in on the roof so we can smoke expensive ccigars, and drnik expensive scotch while we're here so we can slaim we're still at work? She should come! And we need to go there again so we can talk! She needs to know you better! And I think I'd like to meet her in a mroe relaxed setting!" Harrison repeated the move of pinching the bridge of his nose. Lloyd was so damned exasperating some days.

"It's up to you Esther. As much as Lloyd might want to bully you into coming up there, he can't force you into it. And you've had enough of a shock for the last little while, so don't feel obligated." Harrison pointed out. Lloyd shot him a look, and Harrison gave him a tiny shake. Don't ask. Later. It was old signals that they'd made use of in school, and even when they'd worked on cases together. They did made a good team.

Her eyes blinked. Who was this guy? Then her head tilted and she had this look on her face that screamed, ‘huh?’ Compared to Harrison, this guy was a total clown and he was a senior partner? How was that possible? Weren’t lawyers supposed to be serious, stern and have this sense of imposing authority about their aura? That’s what she expected. That’s what she was used to. Granted, she knew a different side to Harrison now after their short—yet orgasmic—time together but otherwise that’s what she was used to. Here was this Mr. Clown and her mind was officially fucked. Talk about polar opposites? Or was this how Harrison was? The real Harrison? Like Mr. Lloyd?

Then it was like all color drained from her face for a moment. He knew? Oh god, he knew! She was so fired. Even if he was being chill and easy about it, he still knew and surely sleeping with her boss was not allowed! They had a reputation to protect and probably throwing out meaningless runners was like an everyday thing. She was surprised that she was even here this long. Then again she came from a different world than these people. Swallowing hard, she opened her mouth to speak, to explain herself and the entire situation when he suddenly fell. Immediately, Esther stood to her feet and peered over the desk to see if he was okay. Everything was happening so fast. It wasn’t too much but man was her heart pounding!

Then Harrison came into the picture. Lord help me now, can this get worse? Dread filled deep in her gut and all the food she ate so happily wanted to come up. Her hand came to her stomach and she swallowed uncomfortably. Her eyes went back from Mr. Lloyd to Mr. Trenton as they spoke. It was so fast she moved her head it felt like her head was going to spin. Damn, if she ever felt nauseated…

Still it was clear that she wasn’t in trouble. If anything, it as if she just got branded as being Harrison’s girlfriend and his friend and partner in ‘crime’ wanted to meet her. Awkward, eh? Considering she worked for them both, screwing one and felt like she was standing on a topple. It was spinning so fast and then as it came to a slow reduction of speed, it started to topple until it fell on its side. If she fell, would someone catch her?

“Um.” She looked from both men and then let out a heavy breath. “Sure.” She shrugged. Because really what else could she say? ‘Sorry, I can’t. My friend died horrendously and I walked in to see her dead body and I really don’t want any distractions?’ Screw that! The more distractions, the better. And it included alcohol. So if anything, she’d stay mum, let them have their bro time and just get drunk. Sounded like an efficient plan. “Provided of course it’s not an imposition on either of you.” Though when she said that, she looked more to Mr. Trenton rather than Mr. Lloyd. She had a feeling he wouldn’t mind, considering that he was the one suggesting it. What she cared is if Harrison cared.

Honest, I never would have imagined Mr. Trenton being called Harry… Perhaps she might be able to learn more about the mysterious Mr. Trenton tonight. Alright, it was official. If she got to go, then she would make sure she got drunk after she grilled Mr. Lloyd about Harrison. She liked this plan. She liked this plan indeed.

She just hoped Harrison did too.

"Wouldn't have offered it it was!" Lloyd declared, cocking an eyebrow at Harrison. So many words without speaking. It was almost half remembered, how the two of them did this. Harrison Blinked twice, and cocked his head slightly to the left. Of all reactions, this seemed to satisfy Lloyd. The man leaned back into his chair. Harrison nodded to Esther.
"We should be there around six. You'll need this." He handed her a small key. "There's a lock on the elevator. Use that to open the panel, and it will take you to the lounge." He explained. "Now, after all that shock, you would likely find working something a bit more soothing I imagine. And miss Larkin will likely be ready to pitch a fit at having the person she'd just started training vanish on her." he said this last with a bit of a smile, knowing that Bree wouldn't be able to bark much about the situation. But if she was training Esther, then there might be a place to advance Esther to, getting her a more secure job with better pay. It was a good thing.

Once the woman had left, Lloyd pressed a button that brought about the same kind of noise cancellation up that Harrison employed.
"Out with it Harry. What're you holding back?" Lloyd demanded.
"You recall one of our employees caught up in the investigation?" Harrison asked. Lloyd nodded.
"Yeah, it's why I came down. I wanted to talk to the person handling the case, make sure they knew how important it was for us to look after our own."
"I know that. And you're talking to the person handling the case. And the client just left." Lloyd sat back, stunned.
"Oh fuck Harry. You surely screwed the pooch this time, didn't you?"
"It wasn't intentional Lloyd."
"Why her? Seriously, you could have a string of women lnger than this building ready to jump you at a moment's notice? Why her? And why now?" Harrison was quiet, and stepped to the window. The view of the city was spectacular. He didn't face Lloyd when he spoke.
"She makes me smile Lloyd. Really smile, and not have to wear the mask." He heard the sigh.
"Ah fuck it all. This isn't a dalliance, is it?"
"I don't know Lloyd. It might wear off in another hour, or it might in a year. Or it might not. I don't much of anything when it comes to her."

"Shit. Shit shit shit. A thousand barrels of shit. Harry, I'm pulling you off of her case." Lloyd cursed out. Harrison rounded.
"You will not. Can you think of anyone else with more vested interest in keeping her case solid?" He asked.
"That's the problem! Conflict of fucking interest!" he broke into a grin, his seriousness gone. "Heh. Probably litterally, since I imagine by now you've been fucking her." Harrison glared at him. "Yeah, okay, weak joke. But seriously harrison, if this hits the courts, everything you do with this woman can be brought up against you. And that can be bad for buisness, and for your reputation."
"It's under control."
"It better be. You're too good at what you do for me to have you get tarnished in this whole thing. The moment a scandal starts brewing up aroudn this, I'm pulling you." Harrison nodded.
"Fair enough." The two men grinned. Too long had it been since they just kicked back, and drank. harriosn went to his office to square things away. By the time he was done, he'd likely only be a few minutes ahead of Esther. Fortunately, he'd gven her a spare key to the lounge.

He found Llyd waiting for him, seated in one of the excellent leather seats that they'd had commissioned for the place. The walls were covered in dark walnut wood, lit with soft glow lamps. It lent the place a cozy, homey feel to it that set harrison at ease. Gods, it had been too long since he'd been up here. He tossed his suit jacket to one of the staff that were up her, who deftly caught it, and set it onto a wood hanger. Harrison sank into a chair, glad they'd had six commissioned. He let out a sigh, and felt a wave of tension roll off of him.
"Good to be back up here." He commented.
"Good to have you back Harry." Lloyd commente,d raising a glass.

Esther didn’t know what to think and she wasn’t about to start thinking that the only reason Mr. Trenton was agreeing to this was because of Mr. Lloyd. No, what they had was casual and supremely random. Nothing more, nothing else, she wanted nothing more. Can’t I keep him? She wanted to slap herself for being so silly.
When he gave her the key, all she could do was nod before she was thankfully dismissed. She could not have gotten out of there any faster. Tucking the key in her pocket after the office door closed behind her, she was welcomed back into the reality of outside that office. Her heart started to beat normally, the tension that weighed itself down on her shoulder left and she walked a normal and casual stride back to where she was working with Bree.

Neither of the women exchanged any sort of words or anything except for a simple nod. Bree went back to work, as did Esther. She finished with the spreadsheet, went on to the others and then went around the firm and assisted in any way she could, that she knew how.

By the end of the day, she was beat and so tired. She had her shift at The Spot in a couple of hours. Plenty of time to maybe go up to the lounge where Harrison and Mr. Lloyd would be and then more than enough time to get home to change and start her shift. It was a busy day. It was exactly how she wanted it to be. Normally, she hated it when it was so busy. Now? She needed it, vied for it, depended on it.

With a final check with Bree to make sure that there was nothing else she needed to do, she clocked out and then went to the elevator. She took the key out of her pocket after adjusting the strap of her bag and used it to get to the lounge. The doors opened into it and it took her a moment before she actually stepped out. Actually, it was when the doors threatened to close on her before she got out, that’s when she actually moved and got out of the elevator. The place was beautiful to look at, beautiful furnishings with an even better view of the city. She was in awe.

She found both men lounging in what looked to be very comfortable chairs, possibly even comfier than her bed—and her bed was damn comfy—and she wanted the invite to sit in one of them. Or in Mr. Trenton’s lap. Good lord, she hoped to the stars she didn’t do something stupid. Of course, Mr. Lloyd knew about her and Harrison but there was no need to give him an extra reason to poke fun at them even more than he already was. It’s not like it was anything serious. Just two consenting adults getting their kicks from each other while they can. So in reality, Harrison was using her just as much as she was using him. Except he was an addiction and she knew it’d be way too hard to actually kick it successfully. Ugh, with stuff like this, come a lot of heartache in the end and she knew that too, yet she couldn’t stay away. Obviously since she still came here. She could have easily decided to just go home and not show up. They probably wouldn’t have blinked twice or noticed.

Clearing her throat and making her presence known—as if the ding of the elevator hadn’t given it away—Esther stepped forward and she slipped her bag off of her shoulder. The moment she did, a staff member came to collect it from her. It startled her and she jumped. Okay, it seemed natural to jump. She offered him a weak smile and let him take her bag where he hung it on the rack with the coats. Walking towards the men, she waved. A wave? She wanted to smack her forehead. Since when was she so awkward?

Every. Single. Day. Fuck my life. She was the most awkward person for a woman her age. It couldn’t be normal! “Good evening gentlemen. Might I join you?” She pointed to a chair away from them both. That way she didn’t give Mr. Lloyd the impression she wanted to sit next to Harrison and that way she didn’t tempt herself and constantly imagine crawling into his lap and…

“What are we drinking?”

"My, someone's formal today!" Lloyd pointed out. Harrison tossed a napkin at him.
"Leave off. She's been invited to drinks and cigars from both of the senior partners of one of the largest law firms in the country, and you thikn she might be nervous?" He challenged. Lloyd raised a hand in surrender.
"Okay, okay! Yes Esther, you can sit whever you like." He answered her question, bobbing his eyebrows at her, and half flicking an eye at Harrison. It was clear he was something of a shit disturber. Harriosn took up the conversational slack.
"We are drinking scotch Miss Martin. Very fine scotch. Lloyd, you have something special for us tonight?" The other man broke into a massive grin.

He waved a hand, and a staff man walked over, and carefully set down a decanter that looked like a tear drop. The top, the narrow portion, was capped in a silvery metal.
"This, lady and gentleman, is sometihng I got at auction earlier this year. A rare vintage to say the least. A Glenlivet, laid down in the second world war, and only botttled recently. So aged for seventy years it is. And now, to be opened here, among good comapny, and accompanied by..." with a dramatic flourish, he waved a hand, adn another staff member produced anivory chest that contained cigars. "...Gurkha His Majesties Reserve cigars!" Harrison gave him a slow clap.
"Very impressive Mr. Lloyd. Shall we?" Lloyd drew out a platinum chased cigar guillotine, and sliced the end off of a cigar, handing it to Harrison, who promptly lit it with a wooden match. He cut another, and offered it to Esther as the staff poured careful measures of scotch.
"Care for one miss? Offers like this don't come around every day!"

Esther bit her lower lip. Was it something she said? Was it what she said? Why did he pick on her? She wanted the floor to open up and swallow her whole so she didn’t have to be here. Now, she sort of wished she didn’t come. It’s not that she didn’t have a sense of humor. She did. She was in a lounge with two senior partners, the two senior partners of a rather prestigious firm and who was she? A runner. It had ‘intimidated’ and ‘overwhelmed’ written all over it, as well as ‘AWKWARD’ in all caps.

Thankfully, Harrison sort of chilled the situation and took a lot of the heat off of her back. This allowed her to relax into the comfortable confines of the black cushioned chair and she had to resist the urge to kick her ankle boots off and put her feet up. Oh, that would make this completely! But…then she knew she wouldn’t make it to work. She wouldn’t want to get up after getting so comfortable. However, this did allow her to really enjoy this company and as Mr. Lloyd answered her question, her eyes were opened and glued to this animated man and as it went on, she couldn’t stop smiling. Apparently these men had it out for Glenlivet and cigars but at least they knew fine things and had great taste. She wasn’t much of that kind of a drinker herself but she knew how to appreciate it thanks to her father and her grandfather, once upon a time. Both Scotch men, both adored their Red Label and Black Label and she missed them like hell every single day.

Esther laughed softly at his excitement and she nodded her head. “In that case, how can I possibly refuse?” She liked to enjoy a cigarette now and then, always kept a pack in case of emergencies. After long and tiring shifts at The Spot, she’d have herself one. During college, she chained smoke like an aspiring old smoker bitch. Now? Well, things calmed down and she didn’t need it much. She switched to alcohol instead but she still maintained she was more of a ‘party girl’ than an ‘alcoholic.’

“But,” she took her hand back from accepting a cigar. “After I try a taste of this very special Glenlivet. I would love to know what all the hype is.” There, she was opening up, loosening up and relaxing. So long as she didn’t keep thinking of what higher stature and power these men were, the more she could relax and simply sink to that level of three mature—ish—adults who could kick back after a long grueling day and simply be human.

Remember that time in college…

Lloyd smiled as the staff set a glass down on the small side table for her, the crystal drinking galss nearly glowing around the brilliant amber liquid within. It actually looked mildly funny seeing her with a Gurkha cigar. The things were nearly eight inches long, and slightly thicker than a roll of quarters. Her hand looked somewhat..tiny compared. But sh held it well, and that was encouraging. The spark of a wodd match filled the air as Harrison struck one, and and offered to light for her. Lloyd leaned forward to make use of the match, adn Harrison hurriedly lit it before the flame burned down to his fingers. Harrison puffed out a small cloud of bluish smoke that rose over their heads quickly. The ventilation in the place had been made specifically to allow this.

"Now then Esther. The hype, as you put it is simple. Glenlivet is a single malt scotch. Not a blend. Blend is something that's...well, it's a low quality. It's made from the run off of many scotch barrels. It's leftovers. Single malt, ah, now that is when you draw an entire bottle from a single cask. It's when you get what a real scotch is supposed to taste like. And this bottle is one of the oldest kept in world." Lloyd explained.
"The years we use for it's age is how long it had to remain in the cask. So seventy years ago, they made the mix, and set it aside in storage to age. The longer it sits, the better the flavour, but the more evaporates, so the older the scotch, the less they get out of the cask. Hence the usually prohibitive price tag. And Lloyd and I have long acquired a taste for Glenlivet as one of the finer scotches. That, is the hype." Harrison added cheerfully. It had been a long time since someone asked about it, and longer since he'd actually felt inclined to answer.

"She still looks a little tense. Garry! Bring out Esther here a footrest!" Lloyd called. It only took a moment before a leather rest that matched the chairs came out in the hands of one of the staff, now identified as Garry. He slid it ontot he floor gently, and nodded, setting off. he went behind a screen that seemed to not only block out sight, but sound as well. Lloyd had tapped a button on his side table, which likely acted as a call, or intercom. It was clear that they had a lot of privacy here. "Kind of a shame you know Harry."
"How so?" Harrison asked.
"If you weren't attached to Esther here, I might have tried to set her up with Garry. Nice guy like him, might have been a good match up." He took a sip of his scotch, and sighed in pleasure. "Damn fine stuff." He smiled as Harrison leaned forward, and blew a cloud of smoke across the way into Lloyd's face. Lloyd grinned around the cough.

Leaning into the flame before Lloyd chimed in, Esther lit it, breathing in slow but quick until she saw a lovely red cherry produce into it, the embers fading into the cigar but not going out. It was well lit and as she exhaled coolly, she found she adored the taste and how it all felt. Ah, it actually felt good to abuse her lungs all over again. “Mm.” Her only nod of approval verbally. Enough said.

Her attention spiked to Harrison as he explained and she watched him fascination, observing him more than she probably should, especially in Mr. Lloyd’s presence but she simply couldn’t help herself. It surely had more to do with the fact that she had him inside of her twice that day and for the first time last night. It was just an eye opener. She saw him in a different light. No longer was he just her boss, or one of them. Granted, it didn’t mean walls suddenly came down. No, if anything, she had stronger reinforcements, like an entire fleet guarding the wall around her heart and her emotions. He was just too good to be true.

“If it hadn’t been for my dad and grandpa, I could simply roll my eyes and call you both fanatics; not the good kind. No, they taught me well and I can certainly appreciate a good one. I am honored to be able to try this lovely.” Her gaze went back to the glass she was poured and only then did she pick it up. Her eyes surveyed the way the amber liquid glowed in the shine of the glass. It was a beautiful sight and always a marvel to watch liquid in actual glass. Any kind, even water. With the glass and the light of the room shining down on it, it could be like a rainbow in a glass. Slowly, she took a sip. A small one for a taste. One sip was all it took for her to understand. If she ever felt like one of the guys, it was now. It was a nice feeling. A comfortable and familiar one.

The look of appreciation swam over her face. She sat back and crossed a leg over the other. A glass of fine aged liquor in one hand and a cigar in the other. Not exactly something to really expect from her, especially since she handled it like she knew what she was doing. That’s because she did.

Esther watched as a man came forward to bring her a footrest. “No, Mr. Lloyd I couldn’t possibly—“ She started but then cut herself off. To no avail. She sighed heavily and shook her head. “If I put my feet up, I won’t get up.” She almost mewled. It was hilarious really because it was only setting herself up for more of Mr. Lloyd’s teasing. Oh well, she respected him and he made her smile and kind of lit up her day in that sort of mellow way. Not the way Harrison did, no completely different! Like the long lost bud she never had or wished she had. She hardly gave a second glance to the man named Garry, as Lloyd established. Not. Exactly. Her. Type.

She hardly commented. No, instead she turned red, took a bigger sip of the scotch and reveled in the feel of her throat burning from the liquid’s passage down it and followed it up by a long drag of the cigar to which she blew out with ease. Clearing her throat, she put her glass down and let her cigar rest in the ash tray as she leaned down and unzipped her ankle boots, taking them off one at a time and propped her feet up. To hell with her shift. She was going to enjoy herself otherwise she might combust from all this talk. Especially when she knew Lloyd was doing this on purpose now.

“Who says he’s attached to me? We’re both…” What’s the word? She paused to think before shrugging. “Enjoying the finer things in life?” She smiled, tilting her head a little bit. Was that appropriate to say without really insulting anyone? Though she’d hardly consider herself as part of the ‘finer’ things in life.

"A fine way of putting it." Harrison raised a glass as she finished speaking. He didn't add that it was a politic answer. Acknowledged that they were together in a sense, but not in any kind of committed way. Did she plan to abandon this tryst? Or was she trying to spare him, ensuring that he didn't feel pressured into something? Gods, he was trying to fathom another persons mind. This never ended well when he was this close. He took a drink from his scotch, a slightly larger one, to quell some of the strange feeling he had. Awkward. Gods, only fucking Lloyd still did this to him. Still able to cut through the miles of mask, the years that he used to armour himself, adn make him feel like a rough and ready college student again. It was one of the reasons he liked Lloyd. It was also why he'd gleefully murder him half the time he thought about him.

"Man, it's been while, hasn't it? Just relaxing? So Esther, been with teh firm, what four years? You must be doing pretty well for yourself by now then." Lloyd started. Before she could reply, Harrison cut in.
"She does all right considering her pay." He answered.
"I can get that! After all, when we were her age..." he trailed off, thinking about it.
"You were on your father's yacht, with a swedish model on each arm, drinking booze older than you." Harrison finished. Lloyd frowned, doing the math.
"Oh yeah. Guess I was. Forgive a dumb trust fund baby for wanting to commiserate!"
"Forgiven." Harrison raised his glass in a salute. It was all in good fun here at the lounge.

"What were you doing Harrison?" Lloyd asked. He very well knew, but he doubted Esther did. It was not a commonly discussed point in time, Harrison's past. The other man swirled his drink, thinking.
"At her age? I'd have been getting out of jail, and signing up for law school." He answered. Lloyd frowned. Okay, he hadn't known that little tidbit. Jail? Harrison? Oh this was a story!

She’d like to think it was fine, considering it was neither. It was like thinly trailing along the subject but neither committing to a formal answer of some kind of exclusivity. There was no exclusivity. They were just sleeping together for some apparent reason. Because Abby died, because Esther saw it, because she didn’t want to be alone and she learned what it was like to be able to curl up into such a strong and warm body and never want to leave those confines. She got a taste of what she had been missing for a long time and while she was still really young, it scared her a little bit. That realization. That loneliness. It wasn’t fear of being alone. It was fear of having no one in such a big world where kindness only lasted so long and true colors came out. Perhaps she was simply a cynic and her lack of faith was obvious considering things. Perhaps the way she survived was keeping a distance. One couldn’t get hurt if they didn’t indulge.

She watched the back and forth banter between the two men. She couldn’t get a word in. Why Harrison felt the need to answer for her, she didn’t know. Surely after this glass she’d have more confidence to actually speak, and not feel so shy, nervous or more importantly, awkward. For now though, she enjoyed seeing a bit of a Yin and Yang as she drank and smoked. Ah, it felt like high school and college all over again. A little bit of a drag, a little toke, and a little ah…

This was heaven. And considering her feet were up, it was the perfect kind, the best kind. Scratch that. The best and perfect kind was not this. It was sitting to her right. He was sitting to her right. She tried not to look at him too much. Or stare. Or gawk. Or namely, drool.

Another sip, then another sip and it made hearing how cushy Mr. Lloyd’s life had been a lot easier to bare and to hear. It didn’t exactly help his case but she wasn’t about to judge, otherwise she’d be just like everyone else who ever judged her. Not happening one bit. No, she liked this man. She liked both of these men, in different ways of course but it felt like her time here at the firm was feeling less repetitive and becoming something else.

She took another sip and then another just as Harrison mentioned jail. That sip didn’t sit well. No, she almost spat the fine liquid right out of her mouth. Her hand came to her mouth and she coughed. Talk about going down the wrong pipe and the worst thing to do so! Alcohol, burning alcohol. Ouch. “Jail? You were in—“ She cut herself off, thought about it and then nodded. Considering her experience with him…

“No, never mind, that actually makes sense and it’s not hard to imagine.” She smiled a little knowingly at Harrison before tilting her head. “I bet you looked lovely in orange.” So maybe it was a bit rough going down the wrong pipe but considering how fast she was drinking and how strong it was, Esther was feeling quite happy. Not really happy-happy but loosening up a bit. She felt warm. Oh so warm.

"Hm, perhaps. The shade never really brought out my eyes." Harrison answered Esther's jab flippantly, and caught himself afterwards. Lloyd was grinning in that way he always did when he caught Harrison behaving like...well, a human being, instead of Harrison Trenton, super lawyer. he was ready to say somehting else when Lloyd leaned forward towards Esther.
"Not ahrd to imagine him in jail? just what did he..." He trailed off, and smiled a shit eating grin that said far mroe than anything else he could have said. "Oh. Well then! That would explain a lot I suppose!" he leaned back in his seat. "So, jail!"
"Yes, jail." Harrison answred, looking at Esther. He waited for Lloyd to be in the process of taking a pull from his glass. Lloyd was oblivious to anything while drinking like that, and he used the time well. He gave Esther only a single look. But it was one that she would well recognize. A hot, smoldering look combined with a half snarl that suggested he might want to simply tackle her to the floor and have his way with her right there. He was back in his seat fully, and taking a drag on his cigar as Lloyd brought his glass down. "Apparently the police dislike it when I borrow a 1971 Mustang from a neighbour."
"Without his knowledge?"
"He never drove it. It was a service to the car to give it a spin."

"How far did you get?" Lloyd asked.
"319 miles." Harrison answered. Lloyd frowned.
"Bt more than a borrow there Harry."
"Well, the police were behind me, and I didn't see fit to stop, so I put it on the highway, and gave it some gas. Seemed like a good idea at the time."
"How did you even get in to law school?"
"My winning charm?"
"Wow, you've got to show me sometime! I'd like to see it!" Harrison threw another napkin at his smart-assed friend.

“I think you just never really looked at yourself in orange.” And now all she could do was imagine Harrison in an orange jumpsuit and her throat went dry. No, it got worse. Somehow she only then realized what she said out loud. Somehow only then, she realized that she and Harrison weren’t alone together. No, Lloyd was there and his comment made her turn so red she thought she might combust. Her eyes averted his and she looked anywhere. Okay, well not Harrison either because that made it worse. Instead, she occupied herself to just drink and smoke. Just like she did in high school, just like she did in college. When all else failed, this was the way to make things better. Though that only lasted for a moment. She chanced a look at Harrison.

Esther’s breathing hitched. That look. Oh, that look. Why did he have to give her that look right then and right now? Why did Mr. Lloyd have to still be there? No, she liked that he was there but that look. Her insides burned deeper than what a single sip of this aged Glenlivet could do and she wanted nothing more than to rise from her chair, move to his and do bad things, in front of Mr. Lloyd. Hell, if she kept drinking at the rate she was, not only would she miss her shift but she wouldn’t care at that point. Wisely though, she took her eyes away from him and listened to the jail story. She drank more, drinking the last sip of her glass before placing it down and sat back to enjoy her cigar. Her legs came up and curled up beside her. She nursed her cigar better than her drink. After all, one drink was all it needed to take.

“How did you two meet?”
They seemed to be at this place where they would get to open up. It meant she could learn something more about Harrison, a chance she didn't want to pass up on. Because the more they talked, the more she liked what she heard of Harrison. It was dangerous to want to hear more, to like it all but she couldn't resist. He was something else. A whole other kind of temptation. She just couldn't resist no matter how hard she kept telling herself. It was a dilemma.

She shouldn't have even come up there tonight. Yet something compelled her. She knew what that something was. It didn't take a genius. And surely Mr. Lloyd saw too.

Lloyd smiled, and cocked his head slightly. Harrison leaned back, adn gathered enouhg smoke in his mouth to blow a wobbly smoke ring. It was a sure sign as any that Harrison was letting Lloyd take point on this one.
"Back in law school. Harry here was there on a special scholarship. And me, well, my dad, grandpa, and great-grandpa had all gone to that law school, and done really well, so I was bascially legacied in. And then I went to the campus bar, adn here was this punk in a leather coat hustling a bunch of my friends at a game of pool." He started, winking at Harrison.
"I was not hustling them! They were just terrible players. Not my fault." He said with a touch of mock defensive to his tone.
"Tomayto, tomahto. Anyway, he won a couple hundred bucks, and went to buy a better vintage of rye from teh bar. I bought him a glass of the best in the house, and then we started to talk. He called me a...what was it again?" He looked at Harrison. Gods, it had been so long since they'd actually told this story.
"A jumped up spolied chicken shit that wouldn't get anywhere without his family gold plating." Harrison supplied helpfully.

"Yeah, thanks, you didn't even have to thik about it. Prick." Lloyd glared at him, but there was no heat in it. "So I called him a piece of small town dogshit, and he...didn't take it well." Lloyd continued
"I threw the whiskey in your face and broke your nose." Harison supplied.
"That really hurt by the way."
"It was supposed to."
"And then Harrison was jumped by my friends that he'd hustled, and we all got dragged away by campus security. They wanted to expel Harrison, but I refused to press charges since it was just a little scrap between guys. And after that, noticed him in his classes." Lloyd finished his glass, and pressed a button. Garry was back, and plied the bottle, topping up Harrison, and refilling both Lloyd and Esther.

"Oh man, you should have seen him back then Esther! Here was this little nothing of a kid, adn he was going to town on everyone in the room. Never lost a debate, ran circles around the other students, even flatfooted a few teachers! I knew he was going places, and he had an eye for the prize." Lloyd looked so animated, like he was reliving the moment for real, and that it had been a wonderful moment for them. "So I ran him down, and offered to buy him a drink."
"I nearly hit you again." Harrison growled.
"Yeah, I got that, from the way your fist maade that popping sound? Kind of a giveaway. Anyway, told it it was a helluva a punch, and didn't want there to be any hard feelings. After that, I spent the time civilizing the savage into the man he is today!" Harrison glared, but didn't actually dispute the statement.

Man, if ever there was a time she could say it, it definitely wouldn’t be now. She had never been more hot for Harrison than now. Not last night, not earlier today, just now. Learning this stuff about him, maybe it was the fact she always had an attraction towards the ‘bad boy’ types or simply just knowing this stuff about the man she knew today, it was a heady revelation. She certainly wished she knew him when he was younger as well though that would have been odd considering she was probably not even a teenager when he was in college. Oy, when she thought of it that way, it seemed so wrong. But right now, it wasn’t. They were both adults and what could she say? She had a thing for older men. It never seemed to fail her. Granted, Harrison was the only man that was at least a decade older than her but better late than never. He certainly knew what he was doing.

During the story, she laughed when it was appropriate, smiled brightly seeing the exchange between Harrison and Mr. Lloyd and she couldn’t stop really. It was such a marvel to see a totally different side of Harrison. Different than the lawyer man he was, different than the panty-combustible lover in the bedroom—or office—that he was. He was just a guy. Not the celebrity. Just a regular average Joe. It was comforting.

She almost wanted to comment on Lloyd’s last statement about civilizing the savage in Harrison. She wanted to say she wasn’t so sure about that, considering how he was in his office earlier today but she decided, wisely, to stay mum about that. Instead, she decided to say it but in a different way, less obvious, more covert. “I don’t know. I think there’s still some rough edges you could sort through.” She shrugged, taking her newly filled glass and sipped it, letting out a soft ‘Ah’ from the welcome of a second drink. She probably really shouldn’t. She couldn’t help herself.

Her eyes looked up at the two men and she offered a smile. Then her eyes landed on Harrison only. Maybe she was doing this on purpose now. “But I’m not complaining.”

Lloyd just stared at Esther, taking in all that she was saying, and the utter volumes that she was saying with the words between the lines. He looked at Harrison, who gave a cat-ate-the-canary smile, and blew out a line of smoke. It seemed Harrison knew no shame at all about what he'd done. Lloyd just laughed, and leaned back. It wasn't the first time he'd heard something like this about Harrison, but easily the first in a long time. Not since...barely out of school! And with how recently he'd met Esther, it showed that a few drinks did bring out a certain...boldness in her. And frankly, it looked good on her. He could see more and mroe what made Harrison confused about her. She was a good, normal woman with some interesting quirks to make her unique. She wasn't a dominatrix, or anything of the sort. And he honestly believed that if Harrison could piece out precisely what she was starting to mean to him, then it would be good for him. And for her as well.

"Well, I'm hungry. Even after that lunch you had brought in. I'm mkaing a call." Lloyd pulled out a smart phone, adn simplly pressed a button. "It'll be here in twenty minutes." He added.
"Are you still worried about the lunch budget?" Harrison asked him.
"No. Not after actually eating it! But seriously, when you proposed that, what was the reason behind it?" Harrison shrugged.
"I didn't want to have to keep placing orders. So I made a benefit plan to take it into account."
"Motivated laziness! Well done Harry!" Harrison and Lloyd both laughed. Scotch was sipped, and cigars smoked along, but within that twenty minute time frame, there was a chime, showing that the staff had gone down to collect whatever food had bene ordered. When the elevator opened, harrison burst out laughing.
"Lloyd! Really? That was the best you could think of to go with scotch and cigars?" The staff set out a small table to hold the food, and a few plates for use. It was a pizza. A large one, easily enough to feed five hungry people. The box opened to show a deliciously thick pizza, better than two fingers thick, and coated in pepperoni, ham, and bacon. A food of champions, and poor college students alike.

There wasn’t even a sign of a blush even as she knew very well that Lloyd was looking at her intently. She did just about the same thing that Harrison did. Except she took a nice strong sip of her drink, savoring its taste and then paid more attention to her cigar, blowing out a thick stream of smoke upward. Then she relaxed back and wore the smile of a woman who did a job well done. She stood her ground, said how she felt and she didn’t turn awkward. She liked herself when she had a few drinks in her. She knew it too. Esther was a hoot when heading towards inebriation!

Still, she watched in amazement how everything seemed to be perfectly in reach for Mr. Lloyd. He called for food, it wasn’t even thirty minutes when it got there and then she saw the most amazing thing. Harrison Trenton laughing. It was a beautiful sight considering he had a good head on his shoulders and always at least seemed to wear this front of a man who didn’t know the meaning of laughter or smiling. He looked so animated right now and she couldn’t take her eyes off of him.

Only when he said pizza did she look away. She was on her feet before any of them would have gotten up, set her cigar down, but not her drink and walked a bee-line straight to that pizza. “Food.” She whispered in some sort of trance-like state, taking a plate and putting a big fat slice on it. She stared at it, eyes wide as she sat back down, drink still in hand, plate in her lap.

Leaning forward, she set her drink down and then picked up her pizza by the crust. She tipped it, holding it up vertically and lifted her plate. She was clearly a girl who knew how to eat a pizza because the tip of it landed in her mouth, her teeth clamped down and she bit into it, a very, very satisfied moan coming from her mouth. It was so not fair that people could afford food like this and she was stuck with frozen meals that couldn’t even compare! She wanted to cry. She loved food. It used to be obvious how much she loved food. Now, well at least she still had the soul of the chubby girl she used to be. She didn’t look it much. No, apparently she needed to eat more, according to Mary, Tasha and Sylvia.

She finished that first big bite, not even looking at either men. Then she took another bite. Then another. She was so into her food, she never noticed the large glob of sauce that had dropped onto her thigh.

Back
Top Bottom