Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 3.5 One on One: Shattered Nations Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lena nods, and follows. About 50 feet past the symbols there are three doors, one of them glowing green, with the same symbol as the one Xanivus pressed.

"Hmm only one of them is glowing. Maybe there's a switch or something. Here I'll check around and see if I could find anything to get the other ones glowing. Xanivus Checks around the room for some sort of source to make the door glow.

(Search 27 total.)

Xanivus realizes that the glowing symbol is the old, original form of the word 'Peace' in Celestial. It had been a while since he'd studied it, and most written Celestial nowadays was done by mortals, and had been shifted slightly for easier writing. The other two words are 'War' and 'Rebirth'. The words in this manner encompass multiple meanings each, and usually have to be taken in context of the entire paragraph to understand the meaning of every individual word. True Celestial is more sung than spoken, and each word carries emotional undertones to convey a variety of meanings. Myth says that the three great dragons were Sung into being by some greater, incomprehensible being, who also Sung the other planes into existence. That myth is very rare, and Xanivus had only come across it once, in an ancient Xen'drik ruin he'd been hired onto.

"Hey Lena check this out. I know you have done studies on this place but this thing here says something about peace, war, and rebirth. Do you know anything about this?" Xanivus is very curious about the writing and what it meant.

Lena studies them a moment, in context of what Xanivus said. "I'll have to take your word that that's what these mean. Hmm... This is one of the convoluted parts. Perhaps..." Her eyes begin to gleam with excitement. "Perhaps this is why! If these are the words you say there are, then... There are three challenges to progress on to the next level of the vault. And maybe that's why it's convoluted. This place may have had a different original purpose, older the Cyre, and Cyre just adapted it to the goverment's personal use."

"So then that means we are close to your goal. All we got to do is get through these little challenges and we are set. Anything you know about the challenges though? I'd rather go in there prepared." Xanivus replied.

Lena shakes her head. "It's flowery poetry, and boils down to each room being a challenge based on a word, and that the 'realm of renewal holds the path into the depths'. I'm guessing that means it is in the 'Rebirth' room, so we should head there last. It doesn't specify what is in each room, since 'each perception changes the realm'. I'm not sure what that means, but at a guess, there's some powerful magic involved, where the rooms are changed each time they are entered." Lena responds.

"Oh...now I got it. Well then which room shall we go in?" Xanivus is quite unsure on what is going to happen in the next room but he trusts Lena in guiding him to the right path. "Oh wait a minute can't you sense which one of the rooms has more powerful magic than the others? Or is it that you would only be able to sense magic in general and not by how powerful it is?"

"I get a general sense of power, but they are all beyond my power to affect. No one of them is clearly stronger or weaker than the others." Lena replied. I guess we should enter." Lena says, uncertainty in her voice. When she opens the door, there is a 15ft square visible in front of them. The rest, despite the light from her mace, is inky black.

"You sure about this one? You don't sound too confident Lena. Actually don't worry let me go ahead." Xanivus proceeds further in the room heading towards the 15 ft square.

Lena follows after him not wanting to be separated. Five seconds after Xanivus steps inside, the door closes, and darkness consumes them. Suddenly, the floor dissipates, and the feeling of falling comes over Xanivus. A light begins to shine below , a small circle that grows larger. Lena is next to him, illuminated by the circle that has the Celestial symbol for 'Peace', and 10 feet before they hit the circle they slowed down, and gently landed on it. "Why are you here?" A genderless soft voice asks in Celestial. "To find an artifact." Lena says. "And why do you want to find it?" the voice questions. "To learn about it, either to recreate it or to use it to help others." Lena responds. "And you? Why are you here?" the voice asks again, the feeling it meant Xanivus unmistakable.

"I'm in this for the money." Xanivus replies. "And why do you want to know why I am here? It's really none of your business actually. But I can tell you this... If you dare think of hurting any of us that will be the biggest mistake you can make. I know your symbol is peace and all but that doesn't mean this can all be a lie." Xanivus steps in front of Lena to make sure if this thing is going to attack it won't be able to strike her first. "Now here's my question. Why are you questioning us about the artifact?"

"It is my task to question. To look at the reasons for entrance. Both of you have greed. But both of you are willing to protect others. There are worse reasons to enter. Peace is not a lie, but it is temporary. But few things worth fighting for are permanent." The voice replied, before the circle of light shattered. It was immediately replaced, while the shattered pieces fly together, eventually forming a shield of seemingly glass that rested on a pedestal. A bright light shone, and a door faded into being beyond the pedestal. "The first task is the easiest, but most decisive part. If it isn't passed, then the test will never be completed. Take the first of three, and be ready. Rebirth and War are far harder then 'mere talking'." The soft voice states.

Xanivus loosens up a bit and looks at the creature. "Thank you for the information. I'm sorry I mistaken you as a foe but I guess we shall be on our way." Xanivus turns his head around and looks at Lena. "You ready for this Lena? I have a good feeling about this. I think we can pass these tests with no problems."

Lena nods. "Thank you." She says to the black void as she picks up the shield. "Let's go." She says to Xanivus as she opens the door, which leaves them in the room from before. "I think we can pass the tests, but as for their difficulty, I'm not sure it'll be so easy." Lena says, while staring at the shield in her hand. It is a buckler, the size matching a doll's. "Well, I'll assume we'll do War next, and finish with Rebirth. Sound good?" She asks Xanivus.

"Sounds good to me. I'm glad to see you are confident with this. It may be tough but I know If we stay close we can definitely get through this." Xanivus replies. He then thinks for a moment about what could be in the other doors. "Lena also if you got any ideas in mind for whatever is up ahead let me know so we can have some what of a battle plan." Xanivus readies himself and has his weapons prepared for the room of War.

Opening the door to the room of War reveals the same darkness as the entrance to the room of Peace did. When both Xanivus and Lena step in, the falling sensation occurs again. This time, they land on a circle that says 'War' in red. It is about 100 ft in radius (from center to edge, so 200 ft diameter.) An aggressive, fierce, yet still genderless voice calls out in Celestial, "Let the test of combat begin!". Shadows begin to coalesce and form into 8 shapes. Colors swirl onto the shadowed forms, until the image and likeness of a Large dragon, 2 Medium Yuan-Ti, and 5 misshaped (even for their kind) Kobolds appear. They all snarl in union, and ready themselves for battle.
Roll Initiative.

Xanivus sprints towards the dragon to go for a charge attack.
(rolled a 3+15+2 for charge =20 total.)
(Damage if hit 6)

Xanivus misses the dragon as it side steps. The dragon slashes with it's claws along Xanivus's side for 11 damage. Lena chants a spell that causes her mace to glow with blue light. The kobolds split, 3 going for Xanivus and two for Lena. The Yuan-Ti split as well.

Xanivus sidesteps as well and attacks the dragon.

(Hits 31,18,21)
(Damage 10, and I assume the other two miss)

(Good assumption. AC is 23 for them all.)

The dragon takes a deep breath, and a prismatic burst of color flies from it's mouth (Reflex Save 18, damage rolled is 52.) The Yuanti strike at Xanivus and Lena, but both miss. The kobolds swarm about, managing to do 13 damage to Xanivus and 5 to Lena. Lena strikes the Yuanti in the face with her mace, leaving a broken and bloody nose. The blood swirls with various colors, even with red being dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom