Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sword and The Rose. ((Kolath x Butterfly))

He blinked slowly walking along the halls with her, he looked over at her perplexed. â??There is nowhere in my castle that you are not welcomeâ?¦wellâ?¦maybe the kitchen, the chef wonâ??t even let me in there.â? He smirked trying to lighten the mood a little. â??But as far as I am concerned you can go anywhere anytime. Would you like that instead of the walk? Or as well as it?â?

Free roaming? The duke was becoming more and more unlike other noblemen with each passing moment she spent with him. "The choice is yours your grace. Whatever you wish. I am open to whatever you wish of me. A walk about the castle. A walk about the gardens. It does not matter to me. Either way we shall be walking together, getting to know one another more. The difference is just the setting."

He smiled and nodded, â??Perhaps around the castle ending in the garden, you will love it Iâ??m sure. My mother planted it and ever since her death I have tended it making sure that it maintained its beauty.â? He smiled and looked over at her as they arrived in front of her rooms. â??She always wanted to pass it on to her daughter in-law.â? His hand brushed her cheek looking into her eyes.

He was being very informal with her. Not at all like he should be. So much so... that as he ran his hand over her cheek this time, she squinted a little, looking into his eyes. Something seemed.... distant yet familiar about him. "Have we... have we meet at court and I did not realize it?" If she kept looking into his eyes much longer, she would recognize him......

He couldnâ??t help but just stand there and look into her eyes for a moment more wishing he could just get lost in those deep pools. He coughed and looked away finally sighing, â??I doubt it they donâ??t often want me a court. I fear if you had plans of being one of the ladies at court you will be disappointed as my wife.â? He blushed a little and then kissed her hand softly. â??Till the morning my dear.â? And he turned on his heel and walked away toward his chambers needing to be alone.

Being so suddenly ripped from gazing into his eyes was like getting dumped with ice water. She stumbled and her head spinning lightly. By the time she recovered from it, he was kissing her hand and departing. "Good night..." she called gently after him as she turned into her room. Anya was there to help her prepare for bed. It was strange to have Anya there to help her once again. She did not realize how much she liked doing things for herself until she had it and then it was taken away from her once again. So much so that she only let Anya help her undo the ties on the back of her dress before dismissing her. She did the rest in private. Changing into her night dress, sitting at the vanity and brushing out her hair before turning down the covers and slipping into them. She lay there, just staring up at the canopy above her for what seemed to feel like forever, but was in reality only a few moments. She had not been able to sleep without the Fox before, now in a strange bed and room without him was even worse.

A whimper from the foot of the bed got her attention. She crawled to the edge and peeked over, smiling at Bottom, sitting here giving her his big sad puppy eyes. "You want to sleep in the bed with me?" she asked him. The pup clearly understood her because he tried to jump up onto the bed. He was still just a little to small to make it up to her. Reaching her hands down and he leapt up into her hands. Laying back down, Bottom took up the space next to her. It wasn't the Fox, but it was something at least. She didn't want to be alone. With the pup at her side, she feel asleep.

Come morning, breakfast was brought to her quarters for her. Anya came to help her dress. And Arnold delivered the message of what time the Duke would come to meet her and so once she was prepared, wearing a gown more fitted for a casual day around the castle, she waited for him to arrive.

Nathan went to his room and laid down sighing deeply. This was going to be harder to keep her from finding out then he thought. Though right now he wasnâ??t sure if it was a bad thing if she found out or not. He sighed and finally drifted to sleep.

The next day he didnâ??t have much to take care of and so took his time getting ready. Having breakfast in his room he finally got dressed and headed to Terraâ??s rooms knocking lightly. He had no idea what he would say to her if she asked again about having met him before, he needed to tell her the truth sometimeâ?¦after they were married what would she think him sneaking off so often? He smiled as Anya answered the door and once again thanked god that she wasnâ??t the real Terra.

"My lady, the duke is here for you," Anya told her.

"Thank you Anya..." Terra replied properly as she rose and came to the door. She greeted him with a light yet still formal curtsy, "Good morning your grace. I trust you slept well?"

Before he could answer, Bottom came barking happily to the door, jumping up and down once more at the sight of the duke, tail wagging. She couldn't help but shake her head and kneel next to him and pull him down, "Bottom, what has gotten into you. Again. You need to learn to respect the duke you silly pup you."

Nathan was ready for Bottom again and bent down offering a piece of roasted beef which the pup wolfed down. â??Well either that or I need to stop bringing him treats.â? He smiled and stood back up offering his arm to Terra. he glanced down at Bottom and nodded his head to one side and the pup was out the door and prancing around the hall. â??I think he could use some exercise do you mind lady Terra?â?

She couldn't help but smile at Bottom. At least he seemed to be liking his new home. Her smile was bright and genuine this time. So much like how she would smile at him when he was the Fox to her. "Yes, he could use a good walk about. I fear that if he will become a plump little pup with how much food he eats. That is how he got his name. Because he is a Bottomless Pit." Her smile slumped a little, recalling how the Fox had told her he had gotten his name. Her face was back to almost indifference as she took his arm, "Shall we your grace?"

Nathan saw the look and the change in it as she thought about Bottom and his name. he knew just what she was thinking but he would need to just use what the duke knew to work it out. He took her arm and stared walking. â??Bottom was the Foxâ??s dog wasnâ??t he?â? they were walking just though the halls slowly right now not really far from her rooms and they already were getting into uncomfortable subjects.

She was startled by how he was able to pick up on that right from the start. Blushing she looked down at the pup who walked right along side her with a little skip in his step. "Actually.... Bottom really didn't have an owner. He belonged to everyone and no one. He was... however... a parting gift from the Fox." Wanting desperately to change the topic, she pointed to a painting upon the wall, "Who is that in the painting?" she asked as she walked by.

Nathan could tell what she was trying to do and he would let her. he didnâ??t want to cause her anymore pain. He turned to look at the painting. â??Why that isâ?¦.umâ?¦that isâ?¦â? he blinked looking perplexed. His head cocked to one side raising an eyebrow. â??I have no idea.â? He knew that Arnold always stayed somewhere close by and so he simply called out. â??ARNOLD!â?

The elderly man was by his side in moments. â??Yes your grace?â?

â??Who the devil is this man and what is his picture doing on my wall?â?

â??Your grace, this man is his honor the duke of Lair cove. He sent you that picture as a present your last birthday andâ?¦â?

Nathan waved him to silence. â??I had forgotten, please Arnold take it down and burn it. And hold a competition for the artists of the town, when things are more stable. We need some more color in here.â? he sighed and turned back down the hallway. â??Thank you Arnold that will be all.â? He continued walking with Terra sighing. â??Sorryâ?¦the things you put up with to try and get some work done in this country is disgusting.â?

Terra was.... quite...... confused? She glanced back over her shoulder to see Arnold taking down the painting just as Nathan had told him to do and started walking off with it. It took her a moment to register what had just transpired and she ended up smiling and give a slight laugh, "Forgive me your grace, but.... you are a strange one. What will happen is his honor the Duke of Lair comes for a visit. How will you explain the gift he sent you being absent from the walls of your home?"

He growled lightly. â??I will tell him the truth. He didnâ??t hold up his end of the bargain that we had agreed to and so I had it destroyed.â? He sighed shaking his head. â??The man is a pompous ass anyway. I only kept the picture because he agreed to vote with me about raising the taxes, but he didnâ??t and because of that the people now pay twenty percent instead of five.â? He sighed shaking his head. â??I mean who sends someone a portrait of them self on that persons birthday? I can see a painting but a portrait?â?

She couldn't help but blush at the way he openly spoke about another nobleman. The words he spoke were things that men did not say in front of ladies. Not that she had not heard things like this before... but still. It was shocking never the less. "Do you always use such language in front of a lady your grace?" she asked, a very slight smile on her face.

He stopped and blushed softly realizing that his comfort around her as the Fox was bleeding over into their relationship as the duke. â??Iâ??m sorry I didnâ??t realize I was doing it. I hope I havenâ??t offended you lady Terra.â?

She shook her head lightly, "Not this time your grace, but you should be careful. Other ladies may not be as forgiving of such dialogue as I." She glanced about the foreign surroundings, "So then, where are we? I thought you were taking me on a tour? Or would you rather I wander aimlessly for hours in your castle?"

He smiled and took her arm again. â??Well right now we are in the hallway.â? He smirked and started talking about the old stone work of the castle for a few moments before he glanced and her. he was barely keeping himself in check from laughing.

The pair and the pup in tow wandered about the halls. Him showing her what room was what and which way to turn to go here or there. So on. So forth. Just as he predicted, when the reached the kitchens the cook shooed them both, only after giving Terra a greeting fit for the soon to be lady of the house. All the servants were like that with her. She could not help though but notice a few giving her a strange sideways glance. It was expected that they would chatter and gossip about the Duke's bride to be. She only wondered what was being said about her.

Eventually the tour led them out of the castle and into the gardens, where as promised, the pair walked. Bottom romped through the flowerbed and bushes chasing after bugs that fluttered about. With nothing to tour here though, the conversation fell silent. That is until Terra finally asked a question which had long been on her mind, "Your grace? When are we to be wed?"

He sighed enjoying the pleasant atmosphere of the garden and the company was just making it absolutely perfect. He looked over at her as they had just sat down when she asked that. He thought for a moment before answering. â??The original date has come and gone but I was thinking setting it for a month from now to give you time to get ready.â? He rubbed a hand over his face sighing deeply. â??We can move it where ever you prefer if you want more time.â?

"A month?" she said thoughtfully. It made her a little uneasy to tell the truth. There would be talk now that she had spent so much time in the Fox's care. The longer she went unwed, living within the Duke's home, the longer people would have to speculate about what happened between them. And the longer would may have to find out about her lack of virginity. It could very well grow into a scandal. "I don't need much time to prepare. I have the dress in my dowry, what more do I need? A week would be best. It has gone delayed long enough." She hesitated, "People will talk...."

As she mentioned that people would talk he blinked and realized just how long a month wasâ?¦she was right people would talk. â??Wellâ?¦I will send the messages out to those that need to be here today then. We might have to be married by my personal priest because Iâ??m not sure the bishop would be ready on such short notice.â? He thought it over the whole time petting Bottomâ??s ear not noticing that it was the same thing the Fox often did when thinking.

Lucky for him, she was too distracted to think notice as well. She started calculating exactly what the nobility would be thinking and saying in such a situation. A rushed wedding, not even waiting for the bishop after the bride just spent a month in the captivity of a notorious bandit? The nobility would think her with child and how noble it was of the duke to cover such a thing up by wedding her swiftly. God help her if she and the Duke conceived when they consummated the marriage on the wedding night. She was damned and ruined either way. She sighed and tried to smile, "Very well then."

He nodded not thinking it all through not realizing all the potential problems that could come from it. it really wouldnâ??t have mattered to him he was already hated by most the nobility. But he would hate to put her through any of that he loved her too much but he was too used to thinking as a duke that didnâ??t care what others thought of him, or being the Fox. He sighed and turned to take her hand before standing. â??Shall we head inside for lunch? It is about that time.â?

Back
Top Bottom