Little Things You Love

When you put your heart into a post and get the perfect reaction<3

I love my brain when deprived of sleep. I crash crazy hard, but (and this is true for all human beings) I'm more creative when I'm sleep deprived and/or drunk.

RP partners who just 'get it' and are plain awesome to write with. <33333333
I am seriously fortunate to have a nice core little handful of people that I write with. You all are AWESOME, AMAZING and TALENTED!

The first real day of spring: 71 degrees, balmy with a nice breeze, barely a cloud in the sky. I definitely don't miss shoveling snow in March (sorry Northerners).

The fact that my niece is a 4.0 plus student, and takes after her uncle in her interests.. but those of a teenager. lol

I love the cold as well. :)

I also love GOOD writers. You know, people who actually can write based on their talent and grasp on the use of the English language (this goes for those who aren't even native English speakers as well) as opposed to other nonsensical things. I never understood why people gun for 'writers' based anything other than their actual ability to put together a cohesive story and/or build an amazing world or develop believable characters. Perhaps this is a phenomenon I will never come to understand. But, at least I have my love and can be happy. Yes? lol. XD

When you speak of these 'writers' in the negative sense, how do you mean? I thought then very definition of a writer was one who uses the written word to string together cohesive sentences to paint a verbal picture....

I mean, that's how most writing I've run into has been for me, at least from comics to video games to good movies to even roleplaying online.

The other day in chat an interesting topic of discussion came up and that is how people flock to certain sorts of RTs and we find it rather mind boggling. The ones that give practically nothing (as in no clue of anything--serious likes/dislikes, ideas of serious plot points, etc) are the ones that seem to get the most activity for reasons unknown while those that are still open ended and leave room for creative exploration yet give serious information about the potential writing partner and their ideas and the like don't get very much at all. Or, well, at least in comparison.

Perhaps, and this is just speculation, the majority of people don't care much for a well-defined guideline for an RP they are interested in and are instead interested in a complete 100% sandbox RP- where they can be who/what they want and do just about anything. That sort of 'creative, freedom always draws more people than anything that restricts their actions in any way.

Do I agree? No. I find that it's more challenging and more fun to work within the confines of a guideline set than to just be told 'go nuts', but in a way it may be that added challenge (and added literacy/writing ability that stricter roleplays inevitably require) that detrqcts from activity. When people can post 2 lines of crap and 'BOOM' they're done with the required post for the day, that laziness can be a determining factor in a role play's activity.

It's not just here though, so there's nobody here at fault for this. Almost anywhere you go online for RPing, this is a prevalent phenomenon.

The light in that darkness is that with the roleplays that DO have stricter rules/guidelines/ability requirements, the fan base/ activity/ person to person interaction is much much heavier, more passionate, and more devoted. When you spend a good 15 minutes a day on a single post, you've made a bigger personal commitment to the topic at hand, and that investment is what keeps interest and devotion alive in the better games being run.

Example: the multiple long-running RPs here, and several 'clans' I was a part of on other sites, most of those clans dedicated to a single roleplay.

Possibly. But, I suppose I just don't see the fun in that. However, I do see the point you're trying to make. Then, this is why my love falls on the side it does and why I much prefer biding my time and perusing and perusing until I find something that fits in that right way or until the right person finds me after actually taking the time to read what I've put forth. I mean, you cannot expect novels in an RT, but enough to get an idea of what 'could be' so that when you do reach out you have an idea of what you're getting into. :)

I'm in the same camp I think a good RP is equal parts responsibility of the DM for making an interesting world/topic in the first place and keeping people invested, and its the responsibility of the player to make posts that are interesting in their own right, fun to read, help progress the story the DM has set, and above all, be active. I've seen (even been a part of) many RPs that, by using these elements, have managed to keep running for YEARS.

Again though, I do enjoy a challenge, so for me (and most people who I've rped with) the challenge itself is a large part of our interest- it is this constriction the DM places on us that tells our writer within to wake up and say "Put a block on me, I'll smash it. Put chains on me, I'll tear them out."

Again, the part of the DM lies not in just posting an intro and telling players what to do/not do. The DM must get involved and active about it, and put forth an interesting topic for people to show interest in. I mean, if you can't be passionate about your own work, how can you expect other people to be passionate about it?

That's definitely true when it comes to group RPs though groups are a whole other animal. Sometimes those take on a life of their own (or not) that you cannot anticipate. But I know this much, when it comes to groups, I prefer the ones that have plots and interesting worlds and characters. If it's just one of those, as I call them.... fuckity-fuckity-hump-hump..... I'm outta there. Not for me. I mean, sure, sex in a group or 1x1 RP is great and can enhance what is going on, but I'm not a fan if that is all there is to it. If it is, I get bored. Fast.

Well, to be honest, that's why I stay out of a lot of roleplays, unless I'm incredibly interested in the subject matter. Most of those.... How did you put them... Fuckity-fuckity-hump-hump deals are incredibly one-dimensional. It's like watching explicit videos you can only see the exact same thing a few times before you get tired of it. It's the biggest reason the Adult Film industry has gotten so scummy since the '70s. Unless, as far as roleplays go (and this is also true for movies and video games) you have something fresh or something to stimulate you more than just the same, tired deal, it stops growing and just stagnates, until it dies and everyone involved looks back on it and goes "Well, that sucked."

This is why I love.....

RPs with lots and lots of tantalizing PLOT!!!!!!!!! XD They can be group or 1x1, if they have PLOT... hooray!

Seems like we could've used a lot more people with that mentality in my old haunts. :/
The level of n00bishness in some of those places was painful.

For those who don't know, the AMP and RPU define n00bs and newbs as very different things, so that was not meant as an insult to those who are new at Roleplaying in any medium.

Plot is good, but slow developing plot is better. lol

The Robin Williams classic "Mrs. Doubtfire."

Daniel: This gonna hurt?
Jack: Don`t whine; just relax.
Daniel: Are you sure?
Jack: Just remember pain is beauty. Okay, here we go. Take a deep breath. Instant eyelift!
Daniel: Whoa!
Frank: And you`ll never see the strings; they`ll be under the wig.
Jack: Huh? The man has 5 o`clock shadow at 8:30 AM and you`re worried about strings?

Back
Top Bottom