Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pantsless Pirates [IC]

AWKnHR2.png
Zahn Cragscale
The Damnation crew reacted poorly: in that they did not disguise their intent to turn on them enough and let their foe know that the atmosphere had changed. Zahn glanced to Helena when he heard her words and then to Joy and Nanbako, checking if they had noticed the shift: it seemed that they had. Unfortunately, he had no time to put his thoughts into words.

Just as the orc swung his sap, Zahn's eyes changed from a regular, average hazel color to a crimson hue that glowed softly and promised violence. Some of his scars began to glow the same hue, while an ectoplasmic-like drool, poison-green in coloration started to drip from his maw, reminiscent of the bestial komodo dragons.

Then, the hit connected and Zahn's glare shifted to the orc, who felt the brunt of Zahn's cold rage fully upon him. Before anyone could stop him, his palm shot out to contend with the orc: Zahn's hand shot for the sternum of the Orc, attempting to foul up his footing and push him to the ground.

Whether or not that gambit succeeded, Zahn would then descend upon the orc and roughly grab between his right shoulder and neck with robust strength and skill.

Zahn enters Barbarian Rage.
Due to having advantage on strength checks because of Rage, he rolls the Athletics roll to knock the orc down with advantage: the result for the contested Athletics (or acrobatics, if the orc prefers it) check, Zahn gets a 19 total, as I rolled a 2 and an 11, the latter of which is higher.
If the orc did not succeed, Zahn will attempt a grapple. Again, with advantage. Rolling a 9 and an 18. This results in a 26. However, if the orc succeeded the first contest check, the 26 athletics roll would instead go for Zahn's second attempt to push him down. Which would need another contested roll from the orc.

Should the orc not have succeeded in staying on his feet in the first action, Zahn will not Action Surge.

If the orc saved the first check against falling down, but been knocked down the second time, Zahn would Action Surge and then use his second action turn to try to grapple the orc. The rolls were a 5 and a 20 for a total of 28 for Zahn's contested Athletics check.
If the orc is prone and grappled, Zahn will attempt to strike the orc with a nearby object, like a stool or a small wooden box or an empty bottle, with the attack roll being at advantage because the orc is prone: I rolled a 16 and a 17, for a total of 25 for the attack. I assume it hits, dealing 1d4+str+rage because an improvised weapon attack still counts as a weapon attack as far as I know. I rolled a 2, which means a total of 9 bludgeoning damage, which I want to be non-lethal in case the orc goes to 0 HP.

Helena quickly lept on to the table, drawing her rapier with a mad grin. She looked around the room quickly, getting her bearings, her fiery red hair whipping around her head.
"Hah! Been tae long!" she roared, her free hand on her hip in proper fencing form. Instead of lashing out however, she began to chant under her breath, her eyes darting around the room as she did.

Quickly she found Henry and began staring him down.
"'Mon then big man! If ye give up now ah'll kill ye quick. If'n ya make me come down there, ah'll hang ye fer the mainmast by yer own innards, keep ye alive so ye get baked in the sun 'n the gulls can peck ye ta pieces and make their nests in yer skull!" She roared. "Make at least some use of yer wasted life." She added more quietly, hoping to add insult to.. well more insult since injury hadn't quite entered the equation yet.

With her spell woven, she quickly looked to Nanbako
"Nice 'ne! Take the bastard's eyes oot!"
(hopefully that's inspiring enough 😅. it's the ic justification for bardic insp)

Acro to hop on the desk if i need it: 15 +5 = 20

Gonna cast Slow on them. With me being able to choose creatures within the aoe, I'm gonna choose all the enemies obvs.
Need 6 wisdom saves, with a dc 16

Also a bardic inspiration for Nanbako. She can add 1d8 to a weapon attack roll (not damage roll), ability check, saving throw, or the damage or healing roll of a spell. This only works once, but you can choose when to apply it within the next 10 minutes.

(Spell description if you need it)

Casting Time: action

Range: 120 feet

Components: C, V, S, M (a drop of molasses)

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You alter time around up to six creatures of your choice in a 40-foot cube within range. Each target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be affected by this spell for the duration.

An affected target's speed is halved, it takes a −2 penalty to AC and Dexterity saving throws, and it can't use reactions. On its turn, it can use either an action or a bonus action, not both. Regardless of the creature's abilities or magic items, it can't make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn.

If the creature attempts to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action, roll a d20. On an 11 or higher, the spell doesn't take effect until the creature's next turn, and the creature must use its action on that turn to complete the spell. If it can't, the spell is wasted.

A creature affected by this spell makes another Wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, the effect ends for it.

15-Orc [-17]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena
10-Javil [-12, Slowed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin
7-Human[Slowed]
7-Henry[Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran[Slowed]

The orc manages to resist the effect, but the rest of them start moving slower, sluggish from the spell.

Javil attacks with his sap, still focusing on Zahn, and actually manages to impact enough to cause damage.
[8 Bludgeoning damage, taken in full because you haven't had a chance to Rage yet]

Zahn's furious attacks knock the orc down and leave him thoroughly restrained in the lizardfolk's hands, followed up by two mighty strikes.
[Prone and Grappled in the first two attacks, so I rolled an extra attack for you and got only a 1 on die, for 8 damage total.]

Henry and the other human swing for Zahn, failing to cause any damage; while Orin, seeming to be the smart one, tries for Helena. He also fails to do anything.

Last edited:
AWKnHR2.png
Zahn Cragscale
"Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

Zahn taunted the orc he had pinned under him with greater strength, the illusion of spittle flying and evaporating from his foe's curled-up form as soon as it landed on skin to no effect, while the lizardfolk swung the stool he'd grabbed from the side of the room and struck his opponent in the forearms, as the orc did everything he could to guard his head and avoid taking a blow from the rather sturdy wood there.

Zahn's next action will be two attacks: if the first attack strikes and KO's the orc, he will lash out at Henry with the stool. If the orc is still kicking, then Zahn will continue to attack him. Zahn will keep attacking until the orc is knocked out cold. (Nonlethal fighting though)

Zahn's first attack roll will be a rolled ten: with modifiers, the total is 18. If it hit, the damage rolled is a three: with modifiers, it goes up to 10. The damage is bludgeoning but non-lethal, because Zahn is not a Berserker type barbarian and he doesn't want to be the one to try and end lives first in this altercation.
Zahn's second attack roll is a rolled eighteen, the total is 26. I assume it hits, with damage rolled being another three for a total of 10. Keep in mind, this attack will affect someone else if the orc is KO'd by the first attack.

Last edited:
"This didn't have to happen!" Joy exclaims. "I offered you joy!"

She prefers not to fight so close - she's more effective at range, and besides, being close enough to smell and touch someone and choosing to hurt them feels like a violation of her nature - but she doesn't much choice. Nonetheless, she tries to maneuver out of arm's reach of the Damnation's crew before extending a finger towards Javil. "If you would harm him, than may She scour your sins with Her light!"

Joy attempts to move out of melee range from any enemies who are slowed, but does not risk an attack of opportunity from non-slowed enemies. She then casts Sacred Flame on Javil.

If attacked before her next turn, Joy casts Shield as a reaction. She does not take attacks of opportunity against anyone that provokes one, as her damage would be pitiful anyway.

15-Orc [-17]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena

10-Javil [-25, Slowed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin
7-Human [Slowed]
7-Henry [Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran [Slowed]

Rolled Joy's damage, got a 13 total.

No one attempts to lash out at Joy-up until the point she attacks, they were operating under the assumption she was a bimbo, not a combatant.

The orc attempts to attack Zahn, and despite his pinned nature, he's able to land a telling blow against the lizard.
[10 Bludgeoning damage before Resistance]

Ivran, however, lunges at Joy, pissed that she would attack his brother. His attack is so poorly aimed, though, that Joy doesn't even feel the need to Shield herself.
[2 on die, so that's a BIG miss.]

Helena quickly sprung off the desk and lept toward Orin, wild grin still fixed in place. She very much gave the impression that she'd happily slaughter all of them without hesitation. Her blade flashed in the light of of the cabin, its tip speeding toward the bastard who struck at her, though hopefully with more favourable results.

Rapier attack roll: 13 (i'm assuming it doesn't hit, rolled damage just in case)
1d8 =1 +4 =5 (rapier)
3d6 = 2+6+2 =10 (Sneak attack)
+2 (duelling fighting style)
total = 17. Non lethal if i even hit.

15-Orc [-17]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena
10-Javil [-25, Slowed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin [-17]
7-Human [Slowed]
7-Henry [Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran [Slowed]

Helena is sure that, had her opponent had even a bit of proper armor, he'd have been able to avoid any damage. But, seeing him unprepared for a fight, the blade still strikes a telling blow.

Nanbako in the melee notices Javil had ignored her attacks in favor of attacking Zahn. The Tabaxi was not too happy about being ignored in a fight. "I am really tired of everyone forgetting about that im one of the more dangerous ones." she complained. Though her claws lashing out at Javil again trying to take one combatant out of the fight.

Unarmed Attack roll: 13+3+2=18
bonus Unarmed attack roll:19+3+2=24

Claws Damage:5+2=7
Claws Damage:1+2=3

15-Orc [KOed]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena
10-Javil [KOed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin [-17]
7-Human [-3]
7-Henry [-10, Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran [Slowed]

Her first attack knocks Javil clean out, with her second striking the human who's name you don't know.

Zahn's first attack leaves the orc unconscious on the ground, so he follows up with an attack against Henry, hitting him hard.

Orin attacks Nanbako with his sap, knocking her a bit off-balance.
[10 bludgeoning damage]

The only lightly-injured human strikes Zahn as he manages to shake free of the spell afflicting him.
[6 bludgeoning, halved to 3 actual damage.]

Henry, meanwhile, does not manage to shake off the curse of lethargy. He fumbles with the lock, his hands sluggish, and just barely manages to get it unlocked to try to enact an escape.

Last edited:
AWKnHR2.png
Zahn Cragscale
Since the orc was knocked out cold, Zahn grabbed the sap that he had used in the first place and ran after Henry.

Given Henry's slowed state, reaching him should not prove much of an issue: Zahn went in pursuit and tried to knock the man down, before grappling with him just like he had with the orc… only, this time Zahn had a sap to club the man with instead of an improvised weapon in the form of a stool.

"You forget your guts somewhere, little man? Let me check here."

The lizardfolk taunted the poor guy, calling him a craven as he reached for him.

Gonna have Zahn do the good-old Shove/Trip and Grapple combo on Henry, after using his movement to pursue.

Since Zahn is enraged, he can do the attacking-grappling athletic checks with advantage. I rolled a 13 and a 16 for the tripping up, for a total of 24. And for the second athletics check I got a 2 and a 9... but I reroll with the Lucky feat, for a 7. I guess I will be content with the 9, which turns into a 17 total athletics check.

"You dare, Ivran?" Joy whirls upon the remaining elf. "Your attempts against me are fumbling and impotent. Were you distracted by your brother's distress? The last he saw was your failure to protect him."

She puts her hands on her chest, clutching her breasts, and glares at him disdainfully. "You could have had me, both of you. And now you have nothing. What a fool you are."

Joy casts Vicious Mockery on Ivran. He must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or suffer 2d4 psychic damage and disadvantage on the next attack roll he makes before the end of his next turn.

15-Orc [KOed]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena

10-Javil [KOed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin [-17]
7-Human [-3]
7-Henry [-10, Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran [-3, Slowed]

Penny, feel free to roll damage even before saves are made.

Ivran is not just hurt by those words, he's incensed. He attacks with as much force as he can muster, a devastating overhead blow that comes approximately nowhere near Joy.

Over by the door, Zahn quickly manhandles Henry against the ground. The door is unlocked, but not yet open.

Orin was still kicking, which Helena took as a personal insult to her swordsmanship. This wouldn't do one bit. She swore, took a deep breath, and stepped back into the fray, her blade whistling through the air.

"'Mon then ya waste 'ae skin. Ye could nae cut bread." She said as her blade sliced into him.

"Perhaps ye've castrated yerself shavin'? Or were ye born withoot baws at all? If ye lot're the best the damnation 'as tae offer, then it must be pure providence she's not been beached!" She continued, glaring at Orin and Henry.

With that, Helena's focus returned to the task at hand. She considered how they'd leave the damnation after something like this, preferably without fighting the entire crew.

Step one was making sure no one came in or out. She nimbly stepped away from Orin and moved to the door. With Zahn handling Henry, the tall redhead planted herself in front of the door, rapier in hand.
"'ave at ye then! Ye'll nae leave whilst ah stand, and ah'll give nae quarter ta the likes of ye!" She challenged.

"Surrounded by the unwanted sons of inbred half wit swine we are! Ye call yerselves pirates? Bah! Ah'd spit on the graves of yer mothers, but to have born ye is shame enough. Yer fathers should hang fer the crime of sirin' ye! And nae 'avin' drowned ye as babes! So 'ave at ye ah say! Prove me wrong, and win yer lives while yer at it! Or kneel, cower, and whimper like the dogs ye are! Clingin' on tae yer betters, an' beggin' fer scrap aeff there tables!" She ranted, either the woman was entirely mad, or she was trying to egg them on into doing something ill advised.

Rapier attack: 7+7 =14

Damage: 6(rapier)+4(dex) +8(sneak attack results) +2 (dueling fighting style)

Ideally, non lethal if it's enough damage. If it's not enough damage, then he doesn't get an aoo because of my fancy footwork feature. Helena moved to have her back to the door, so if people wanna leave they gotta go through her.

On a separate note, I'm sorry if i went overboard with the insults/ monologueing on this one. Genuinely don't wanna upset or offend anyone so if you want me to tone it down lemme know.

15-Orc [KOed]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena
10-Javil [KOed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin [KOed]
7-Human [-3]
7-Henry [-10, Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran [-3, Slowed]

Henry flails ineffectually, but the other human lays a smack onto Zahn, trying to get his ally out of the barbarian's grasp.
[7 Bludgeoning damage, halved to 3 by Rage's resistance]

Nanbako takes a hard blow to the head yet the Tabaxi remains standing most likely much to her assailants annoyance. Seeing the situation was still anyone's game, decided to up her allies odds a bit. The goddess she followed enjoyed having the deck stacked in her follower's favor after all.The tabaxi reached for the holy water she kept on her sprinkling it on her hands. Clasping her hands together Nanbako whispered a prayer meant for her and her goddess only, and throwing out her hands a green and golden aura emitted and flowed towards Helena, Joy, and Zahn, a blessing for her friends to turn the tides in their favor.

Nanbako uses Bless in 1st level slot: Adding d4 to attack and saving rolls for Zahn, Helena, and Joy

"Must you waste your and my time?" Joy chides Ivran. "Are you that determined to not get your hands on me? You should consider yourself lucky to fail so pitifully against us. Imagine how embarrassing this would be in front of your officers!"

Joy casts Vicious Mockery against Ivran again: DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or 6 psychic damage and disadvantage on his next attack before the end of his next turn.

15-Orc [KOed]
14-Nanbako
13-Helena

10-Javil [KOed]
9-Zahn
9-Orin [KOed]
7-Human [-3]
7-Henry [-10, Slowed]
5-Joy
5-Ivran [-9, Slowed]

He rolled a 20 and a 7. Nice go with the Mockery!

Ivran snarls and keeps up the assault, but the words lay heavy on him, and cause him to miss.

So, at this point, I think the fight's well in hand. They can't very well get past anyone at the door, they're losing their comrades, and they're not doing much.

If no one objects, I'll just scoot ahead to when they've been dealt with physically, and you can figure out what to do from there.

AWKnHR2.png
Zahn Cragscale
Zahn took Henry well in hand and knocked him out just like he had the orc. Then, he helped his companions to take care of the last few stragglers in order to pacify the situation.

Then and only then did his eyes, scar and the illusionary drool coming from his maw dissipate like they had never been, the mystical connection to the ice-cold rage his being felt in battle dissipating into the ether.

"I will use this barrel…"

Zahn muttered under his breath, as he stepped away from the twitching body of his last brutalization: he went to a table that had been a barrel once, only turned over and with a bigger surface attached to the one end. Ripping it free would not be difficult for him, as his meaty paw took the top and ripped, splintering and ripping the nails out with his prodigious size and strength.

Then, he took Henry, ripped his shirt open so it would be one continuous piece of cloth and bound his hands and arms decisively. With that done, the lizardfolk stuffed Henry into the barrel, to heavily restrict his movement, render him blind and immobile so he couldn't escape with as much ease as if he was lying on the ground. And, of course, head in the barrel so his screams would be muffled, if he even managed to get the gag out, which Zahn fashioned from another piece of cloth of unspecified origin.

He turned back to Joy: "I apologize for my rash words. I only want to help and fight sahuagin, not this..."

Then, he looked to Nanbako and Helena: "I am grateful for your assistance. You fight very well."

I rolled a 15 for Zahn's STR/Athletics check in order to rip the barrel open. If we go with a pure, unadulterated STR check, Zahn got a total of 20. If we go with Athletics check instead, the total is 23.

If any more rolls are required, let me know: I want to roll and maybe use Lucky some more, depending on what I roll and decide at that moment.

Helena looked around, and, seeing everyone hostile was out cold or no longer a threat, she sat down to clean her blade.

"Yer fine mate, good scrap's nae'r hurt anyone." She said, unable to contain her smirk.

"Want tae spar some time? Ifn we make it oot a this mess. Speakin' a. How are we doin' that? Ah dinnae want tae fight the 'ole ship. We'll need a good lie ta get oot a this with all our bits in place."

With that, Helena stood abd sheathed her blade. She considered various lies which might get them out of this kicking.
"Shite.. this might be our last chance. Get 'im oot that barrel, we should... Interrogate 'em on our terms. Bastard got right twitchy when ye brought it up. 'E knows summit, give 'im a reason ta share." She said, gesturing to Henry as she began rounding up the group. Helena wasn't the strongest, so might need some help dragging them.

"As fer lies. Card game got heated, friendly spar.. or they got fighty o'er who was gettin' their beaks wet first, an' we made sure nae cunt tried any'hing. Thoughts?" Helena asked, suggesting possible lies the group might use.

Nanbako dusted herself off with everyone down for the count right now. Though now came the problem with them being on a now hostile ship and one filled with more fighters than they could handle most likely. The Tabaxi looked over as Helena seemed to be taking charge at the moment. "Or we just sink the ship and bolt while they are too busy trying to save it." The Tabaxi said with a shrug.

"Innocent or not, they attacked us. Code of the sea says we got full rights to send this place down to the briny deep. And all that fancy machinery, it kills me to suggest it, but its big and important, and if messed up could probably sink this place."

You know for a fact that your Captain would not want the Damnation sunk.

With your assailants trussed up and Henry in the barrel, you can safely awaken them (as gently or roughly as you want) to find out what exactly their plan was, or if they even had one.

"Aye, set the ship ta sink wi'us on 'er.. cannae see anyhin' goin' wrong." Helena shot back. After a few seconds she took a deep breath in, held it, and let it out. "Sorry, nerves fer the fight. 'twas'n't deserved." she said. It hurt her pride to say it, but better that than starting a fight with her crewmates in hostile territory.

The redhead got up and walked over to Orin. She booted him in the gut to wake him up, and sat on the ground in front of him.
"Wha' in the fuck were ye lads thinkin'?" she asked. "Were ye plannin' ta attack us all along?"

Ok so I'm not sure what i'd roll for this honestly. Given the way the attack went down, Helena suspects that this wasn't planned ahead of time. Would I be able to roll insight? Or perhaps a flat intelligence or wisdom check to figure out whether it was planned or not? Because that can lead to 2 different lines of questioning. (If I do need to roll, would my sailor(pirate) background be useful?)

Rolled a d20 with advantage from background using your Insight. Got a total of 20.

They weren't planning anything violent initially-it wasn't till the questions started veering to be about sahugain that they felt the need to be violent.

Orin's breath whooshes out of him with the kick, and he spends a few moments just trying to recover. He looks up at Helena and simply snarls, not saying a word.

"Ah'd crush yer baws under foot if ah didn'ae ken ya'd like it." Helena said with a smirk. "Ye can be all noble an' loyal later. Now's the time ta talk. Yer mates'r still sleepin. We'll put ye back ta sleep an nae cunt'll find oot ye said a word." She added. Carrot and stick and all that.

"What were ye plannin' if ye'd won?" she asked bluntly.

Back
Top Bottom