Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What is Reality? (With Carius Irion)

The Elf raised her eyebrow at the description of her measurements. She looked at the measurements before she measured with her hands around the Human, picking the Height for conversion, since it was the least intrusive of all the measurements to take. After a moment she started to work over the others, converting them as she wrote them down next to the measurements.

"I have no idea what either of those are. But you're 15 hands tall."

She states, closing her notebook as she looked at the three coins.

"And no, those coins are from Araby from the looks of it. Which is to say, they're from extremely far south and from a Human Kingdom, at that. Try not to wander too far. And especially try not to make any trouble."

She states, giving the Human a pat on the shoulder, before she heads off to go get some custom clothing made for the Human.

(I will now play NPC's for a little adventure, for Ginger, or we can skip to her return after your reply)

Ginger shook her head. "Wouldn't dream of purposely causing trouble... But as a Hartfeld Student, trouble usually ends up finding me. Look how we met."

After an hour, she left a note to find her at the bookstore that was close at hand. Taking a page out of classic Star Trek she hid her non-elven ears under a scarf and made her way to the bookstore. She found what she perceived as a judicial section and looked along the spines for anything about the laws and obeying them. Finding a fairly heavy tome, she took it to a chair and scanned through it. Edicts, governing rules pertaining to the populous... Bingo! Ginger could probably get a four year degree just reading this one. She also looked for a beginner's elven language, finding it in the appropriate area.

She scanned over the chapters a few more times before nodding to herself, as a law student... She needed this book! There were even chapters on interracial laws, diplomacy, ambassador rules... It could probably even help Elkariel. She heaved the volume over to the counter, what can I do for the privilege of these books?" She asked who she assumed was the proprietor. The major standout would be the beginner's book on elven languages.

The Elf behind the small counter raised their eyebrow, looking at the rather odd collection of books. They cocked their head to the side slightly, as Elkariel came in and walked to the counter, joining Ginger.

"There you are, little troublemaker. Always so eager to find more books, always so forgetful of the fact you have nothing to trade for them. Go wait over at the table while your big sister handles the bartering."

The Elf states, pointing to a table a little way away, the two Elves would speak to each other for a few moments before Elkariel managed to get the upper hand, with the Elf walking back to the Human with her new books.

"Let's go back to the Inn, so you can get reading."

Ginger was rightly embarrassed and blushed as Elkariel bailed her out of her almost screw up. With a hangdog expression she meekly followed Elkariel out of the store, looking ever bit the chastised little sister. At least she'd be known as "Elkariel's little sister" at THAT bookstore again, but she swore never to go to another store without Elkariel, again.

According to one thing in a beginning chapter of the lawbook, Ginger could actually swear to that and it'd be legally binding, as long as between consenting people, regardless of race. She pointed to it, as soon as they got back to the room. "I want to make this binding oath to you, not to go to any store without you present, until I have means to barter. Put this law in action for both of us, as a sign of good faith in you and to show you, you can trust me." She looked at the wording. "As far as my part, I'll study the language book the rest of the day, and only it, and you can even quiz me later if it's your prerogative to do so."

"Ginger, this isn't really a game, as much as it may look like it from your perspective. I am on a genuine mission from my Lady. If I fail it, I don't know if I could ever bear to return home, knowing my failure. I don't really have the time to be chasing a little sister around and bailing her out of situations, even if I did adopt you under Elven laws as my protected Human. Plus, I'm not even 250 yet! I'm too young to have a child to be chasing, teaching and caring for!"

She exclaims, showing she was under the Elven equivalent of 25 in a way. She already knew of that law, some of the Elves in the Laurelorn had adopted Humans of their own as either siblings, or their own 'children'. Usually survivors of Orkish raids on convoys or even from Human battles in the area around their forest, with Nordland surrounding them to the Northern border and Middenland to the South.

Ginger shook her head; even sounding hurt. "I never said it was a game, and didn't mean to downplay your job. One thing you learn early on, is the seriousness of making an oath. Even before a kid learns about human law in America, he or she learns about swearing. I did not say that lightly. I look up to you." She grabbed the language book and flopped in a chair. "And whether or not either of us like it, I'm , by rights an orphan, the only one of my world, regardless of how many humans are here. I'll never see my real family, any of my friends, my teachers, college or even my land, again." I'm a social soul. I need to fit in. Somewhere."

With a solemn expression, the redhead said flatly, "Studying languages, sis." And opened to the preface which talked about the book, and what the laws of the language was. Ginger sighed. There was no getting away from her major... Even the elven language had laws. With a sigh, she turned to the first chapter and began reading quietly.

"I will... consider it. If you can prove to me you won't be a drain on me while I'm on my mission here, then I will accept you. But for now, I'm afraid I must focus on the mission my Lady gave to me. It's nothing personal against you, I just need to focus on that, and only that, for now."

She tells the Human, patting her on the head. She walks out to the balcony before sitting down there for some time. After she had soaked up enough sun, she walks to the door and clears her throat with a light blush on her face.

"I will return in a few hours. I have to go pay off your books. Try not to go looking around for anything else, when you have nothing to barter, hm?"

"I will endeavor to try to earn your favor." Ginger agreed, even accepting the head pat. Ginger was just finishing chapter one, for the second time, when the two hours were up. In broken elvish, showing she was capable of learning a new language, although it would be a while before she would be more fluent than just in proper manners like yes, no, please and thank you, she said, "yes, milady." She then grimaced, and rechecked the wording "I mean 'yes, sister'." She said only the last two words in her choppy Elvish, and would remain seated in her chair and in the first few chapters of her new book until Elkariel would return.

A few hours later would see the older Elf return from her trade. She looked tired and disheveled, but pleased with herself all the same. She walked to the bed and promptly fell face first on it, passing out for the remainder of the night, sleeping well into the next morning. She rubbed her head as she slowly woke up, groining lightly to herself as she slowly worked herself back into being awake and functioning.

She got up and out of the bed before getting redressed, groaning lightly as she reached around her bag. After a bit, she pulls up a tonic and sipped it, nursing the drink as she woke back up, eyes screwed shut with displeasure and light pain.

Ginger would wake up sore herself, from falling asleep in the chair. She hadn't noticed Elkariel when she returned, just saw the effects thereof, with her passed out on the bed. She groaned as she grabbed a piece of fruit from the bowl, and went for her walk.

Upon returning, she noticed Elkariel up and in obvious discomfort. Saying her name correctly for the first time ever, "Elkariel." She asked her question in halting elvish, "<Is there... anything... I can do... to help?>" She wouldn't return to her language studies until Elkariel would say so. "Can I give you a massage?" She decided to use plain old English for the request to offer help. Mainly, because she wanted to let Elkariel know she was genuinely concerned about her. She would let her first question be the proof of her studying the language.

Elkariel held up her finger for a moment of silence, before she inhaled deeply, sighing as she got over the mixture of a sore body and a hangover. She looked over at Ginger and walked to the balcony, sitting down on the chair to soak in some of the early morning sun, enjoying it's heat and warmth on her body. She gestured to the other chair, on the ship, she had taught the Human the more ubiquitous Reikspiel, a language used by far more beings, even with all of it's different dialects, now came the task of Eltharin.

"<I am fine, I will recover from my languish soon enough. Some food would be splendid.>"

The Elf replies, glancing over to gauge how much of that Ginger had actually understood.

Ginger caught most of what she said, she understood being fine and something about food. She grabbed a plum like fruit from the bowl and brought it over to Elkariel, before sitting in the other chair next to her. "We only have a few more pieces of fruit left from the bowl the proprietor set up with me our first day. If we're allowed more we should get some." She took a deep breath. "<Tell me what... bartering... even is, I can't... imagine... working... that would create that kind of... physical... pain except hard labor.>" With a sigh she said, "I'm still a noob with Eltharin. Sorry. There's 12 chapters and I've only read the first four. Three times each, to get some of the laws right. I apologize for chopping the language so badly."

She then admitted to not catching some of what Elkariel said after being fine and before asking for food. "That might be chapter five or after. Some of those words I said were tricky. I know I botched them." A deep breath and look out over the vista, as she also soaked up some rays.

"Bartering is trading items or services for goods or services. I offered a few hours in bed with a Wood Elf, in exchange for your books. One hour per book."

She tells Ginger, glancing over at the Human. She raised her eyebrow, wanting to see her response to the offer she had given to the High Elf, and then fulfilled the night before. She stretched out, letting her ankles rest on the railing of the balcony, letting her pale legs soak in the sun and warm up, soaking in the heat and nutrients of the sun.

"At least you're learning."

She tells the Human, ruffling her hair as she starts to munch on the plum she had been given.

Ginger's eyes bugged out of her head. "Good lord! Does it have to be sex, though? Couldn't it be, I don't know, something like representing someone before a judge? We'd call a barter like that pro bono. Offering our law service to someone who can't afford it. Sounds kinda the same. Some kind of legal services for the books... I mean that's kinda what I have to offer."

She sat in silence a bit longer before saying, "Problem is, when it comes to sex as a bartering tool for me... They would have to be female. I've been hurt pretty badly by the male population... I'm not sure on a futa, I guess as long as it's only an enlarged or engorged clit..." A sigh. "I don't know if I like you having to perform sexual favors to get my sorry ass out of a jam, but lesson learned. Trust me."

"Of course it doesn't. But I have nothing of value, aside from the fact that I am, by comparison to the High Elves they see daily, exotic."

She states, rolling her eyes as she hears the question of whether it had to be sexual favors. She was amused by the question, and even more so, the response of the woman. She would finish off the plum, before tossing the core into the sea a few dozen yards out into the sea. She stretches out a bit before looking back out over the sea, in the general direction of The Old World and Laurelorn.

"High Elves may be snobby as sin, but at least they know what they're doing. And they're not the Dark Elves, so there's that."

Ginger sighed and nodded. "Until better equipped with the laws around here, by studying that massive book that cost you dearly, I guess I have nothing to barter with myself, unless it's sex with other women, and that, currently, leaves me cold, as I'm only familiar with what women back home liked.' She smirked, "Although, on a dare on whisky shots, I drank nearly the entire fraternity under the table." She grimaced. "On second thought, not one of my brighter moments. I woke up with the worse hangover of my life, AND in the bed of one of the snobbiest sorority sisters on campus." She shivered almost uncontrollably.

"I know snobby. Usually some of the snobbiest are secretly afraid of something. Normally created by their fellow peers." A soft pat on the shoulder. "If I want to make a good impression with the Everqueen, I better get back to studying the language book, and brushing up on the etiquette you taught me, during that month at sea. When do you see her again?" She also needed to try on the clothes in case some alterations needed to be done, due to converting inches to "hands", but she was less worried about her dress, than her speaking ability and etiquette.

"Yeah. High Elves are scared of Dark Elves. To be fair, we all are. Bunch of freaks."

She states, shivering as she thinks about the Dark Elves. She stretches out again, leaning back in the couch. She was quite pleased with the heat of the day and sun on her body, and even more happy that she wasn't expected to be on the move to Everspring for another day or so. The Everqueen would send someone to collect them from Evershale, it was tradition between the two kingdoms, and what her Lady had informed her would happen. So, for now, she would sit and wait with her Human companion.

"You should work on your Eltharin, it's best to not speak to the Everqueen or her servants with what you know so far. A miscommunication could be... disastrous."

Ginger nodded her understanding. "<I thought something else was behind it.>" She commented before picking up her book and turning to chapter 5. She would be engrossed in her studies the rest of the day, reading the rest of the chapters through once, before poring over the specifics again and again.

Several times, after reading through once, Ginger would have a question in the later chapters, starting with chapter nine. She would always start the question the same, "<What does it mean when it says...>" If anything, she was learning to ask the questions in Eltharin instead of Reikspiel.

She kept this up, she'd be ready to meet the Everqueen after all... Especially since Elkariel had told her to speak only if spoken to. Ginger was suddenly painfully aware of her very human ears. Looks like the scarf was to become a fixture to her attire.

Elkariel would always answer the question, usually after a moment of thought to make sure she knew what it meant herself, and that she was thinking the right things before answering, not wanting to stunt the Human's knowledge of her language. Reikspiel had been a simple enough affair, but the language of Elves had always been a bit more of a tedious and straining language for most of the more brief races.

After nearly three hours outside, with the door open to the interior to speak with Ginger, she headed back inside, without any real signs of a sun burn or even tanning. She sat down on the couch and stretched, smiling to herself as she did so. She was comfortable and pleased with herself, she was in Ulthuan on official business, her life wouldn't get more impressive or interesting then that.

Ginger smiled and nodded, usually repeating any and all phrases using the word, or carrying on a conversation utilizing the newly learned phrase, to ingrain it into her mind.

She was still occasionally halting in her speech, but by the end of the day, she was actually starting to get the hang of the language of Elves. She even started picking up a bit of lilt, but it was neither strictly her North Eastern United States, or Elkariel's song, but somewhere betwixt the two. "<I can't thank you enough for helping me get this book on elven language.>" She finally said as the shadows crept along the city, but the sun hadn't set yet. "<I should really try on the outfit, to see if my sizes I was used to translated to hands well. May I see what I will be wearing to visit the Everqueen?>" She asked as she took a seat across from the couch.

Elkariel smiles to herself and gestures to a box over near the doorway to the bed. She was quite eager to get moving towards the Capital of Gaen Vael the next day. She stretches out, it turns out that the Everqueen had already departed back to Gaen Vael from Springvale, meaning the pair would have to cross the channel between the island and the rest of the mainland of the island. While not as separate as the Shrine of Asuryan, it was still yet more time on the water. So much fun, for the poor Wood Elf.

"<Go ahead and try it on, it should fit well. And it should be even more comfortable then the oversized rags you've been wearing from my own wardrobe.>"

The Wood Elf states, eyebrow raised as she waited to see how Ginger would look in the clothing.

Ginger didn't think twice about changing right in front of Elkariel. Why should she? They were both females, or at least, Elkariel seemed female, and Ginger had no reason to think differently, considering they both didn't care for the aroma of the sailors they were around for a month.

She loved the colour immediately, as it brought a broad smile to her face. "Very appropriate for regalia. Actually better than anything I had in my closet in my dorm, and I had some nice clothes." She admitted, continuing to speak in Eltharin.

Screenshot_20230423-190205.png

(Different character and novel in Choices. Imagine this on the redhead Ginger. This is the outfit I wanted to show in conversation @Carius Irion

Elkariel smiled, hearing that the Human liked her new outfit. She would give her a nod of approval that everything looked right and was ready for the trip to the Everqueen and Gaen Vale. She would wander to the bed and lay down, burrowing into the sheets as she did so. She stretched out and smiled to herself, another day done and closer to returning to Laurelorn.

"<Good. I won't say I didn't like the trade for it, but it would have been a slap to hear you didn't."

Ginger grimaced as the trade came up. She cleared her throat uneasily as she slipped out of her new outfit, as she wanted to keep it pristine for the next day. "<So, this is it, then? We head out tomorrow?>" She asked trepidatious, as she climbed into bed herself, in just her underwear (which would technically be her swimsuit she came to this world in). "<There's a saying on my world, that curiosity killed the cat, and I hope you don't find my curiosity offensive, but how exactly do you... Pay for these things?>" She shrugged. "<I already know I am female interested in females, and how it works on my world... But... Is there something different about girl love here? I'm a willing student, here.>" A blush. "<If I'm not being too forward in asking.>"

Elkariel cocked her head to the side as she heard Gingers questioning. She wasn't terribly surprised by the first few questions, or that shocked about how quickly Ginger seemed to be picking up her native language, she had, so far, proven to be a quick and eager learner. The Elf cocked her head to the side, tapping her chin slightly as she thought.

"<Well, the shop keeper was male, if you remember, so I'm not entirely sure you want to know all the details of the... transaction.>"

She informs the Human, her eyes looking over at the woman, before she waved Ginger over to herself. She gently placed her hand on Ginger's neck, the curve of her thumb to index finger, on the side of her palm, cupping her jaw, thumb to Ginger's lower lip.

"Well, first, one is always in charge. The one of higher standing. And that seems to be myself, in this exchange. The lesser may not do anything that goes against the other's instruction, but is allowed to deny or reject the commands of the one above them."

She tells Ginger in Reikspiel to simplify the interaction.

Back
Top Bottom