Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

IRL Gender

I will play with everyone. But I adore variation.

I will never turn anyone down for their gender, but will admit to being more excited to write with a gender I haven't written with for a while.

In the end the writing is what's most important to me. If you're good, then I'll write with you. Which is kind of fucked up of me, isn't it? Some people will never write in a fitting way to me, they were born that way, while people do change their genders.

Also, since I only write in public threads, I guess I do discriminate against people who won't.
Welcome to the public threads only club! *gives you a gold medal because secretly it’s just chocolate inside* it’s not discrimination it’s a preference

It's interesting how things have changed on BMR. People used to care a lot about gender, particularly women. That seems to be a thing of the past.

I am pretty sure that it is still the case, just that people with strong gender preferences are either not aware of this thread or choose not to disclose their opinions for fear of a public backlash.

Even for those who make their gender public, you can't know they're telling the truth. I've had writers (on this site and off) admit to me that they listed their gender as something different than what they identify with just to widen their potential pool of partners. You're never going to know if that person you're writing with is really the gender they say they are, so in my opinion, it's a bit silly to care about it.

I'm a woman, but I write both men and women and often find that my partners I play male with compliment my writing and state that I'm just as good as (if not better than, in some cases) some males writing male characters. If you're a good writer, you're a good writer; gender is irrelevant in my opinion.

Even for those who make their gender public, you can't know they're telling the truth.
[...]
I'm a woman

Or so you claim :)

Joking aside, I really do not mind. Some of my online friends use a differently-gendered persona online, and while I am aware of their real life gender, I prefer to suspend my disbelief and accept that they are who they present as (sometimes even nonhuman; one of my best online friends is a pixie).

In effect, I treat their real and fictional identities as separate people, and out interaction is akin to an RP (or when we are actually roleplaying, an RP within and RP). Though it is kind of funny in a way when the conversation touches on real-life situations, and my mind makes a seamless switch between them. I guess having an overactive immersive imagination has its benefits :)

Back
Top Bottom