Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Naked City OoC.

MsBloom

Moonchild
So this is where we will coordinate, organise and discuss plot and character ideas for The Naked City Chronicles.

These are the stories currently running:

Last edited:
We don't have to send all the characters into nightmares all at once. In fact it might be better to focus on one at the time.
And on that note: I'm not sure if I do mention it in any of Jamie's backstories or profile but her absolute worst fear is drowning, due to an incident when she was a child where she was left unattended in a bathtub and nearly drowned.

When it comes to Gilly and his worst fears I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Jo will run up the stairs to look for the others inside and probably see Gilly. She would try to engage them thinking that they were thieves as well, and probably split the loot and find out more about the supernatural thing here that may be valuable.

We don't have to send all the characters into nightmares all at once. In fact it might be better to focus on one at the time.
And on that note: I'm not sure if I do mention it in any of Jamie's backstories or profile but her absolute worst fear is drowning, due to an incident when she was a child where she was left unattended in a bathtub and nearly drowned.

When it comes to Gilly and his worst fears I'll have to get back to you on that one.
Yeah, I figured we'd focus on Jamie first, and see how it goes. I'm thinking Joe Gilly and the rest will be drawn into Jamie's nightmare to start.

You guys can continue first in the haunted mansion, I'm thinking of something for Mirkwood

@emDash The way I'd like to start things off is with Jamie coming to YC with a small bag or rather common artefacts from the zone, stuff that is already in common use by the citizens of the Naked City, but she also has a few less common things from deeper within the zone, artefacts that would mean having to pass through or by some of the more dangerous traps. When he offers her much less than what the artefacts are worth she begs him for a bit more because she has to make it up town to an art gallery where a friend of hers is having an exhibition and she really wants to be there because she's modelled for some of the paintings. She just needs enough for a taxi and maybe some clean clothes so she doesn't stink up the place.

@MsBloom I think this is a great starting point. I'm trying to pin down MC's concept, predominantly younger vs older, but this will work fine with me. He can use this as an excuse to crash the exhibition to check out some potential new 'clients' and 'networking'. Mostly, he's just a curious twat that wants to go and rub shoulders with some wealthy folks and see what Jamie's up to re: it's all about who you know.

@emDash It certainly is.

Gilly is 19, or at least appears to be. Elves do after all age quite differently from humans. If you want YC to be the younger of the two then perhaps Gilly could even be as old as in his forties or more, but still look 19.

I'm also thinking that rather than actually paying Jamie enough to get a taxi he instead offers to drive her to the gallery. Maybe he even offers her some clean, but second hand, clothes to wear. Anything to not have to pay her the actual value of the loot.

@MsBloom I wouldn't mind making MC something that isn't ordinary human, but appears to be. A shapeshifter with affinity with 'earth magic' as it were, maybe to do with diluted elf blood or from being a hybrid. Either way, he relies on some of these things that Jamie might find to help out with talismans and tonics etc he's been known to make (by the right people) If that works with you?

And yes. I was thinking along similar lines about offering to drive her as the perfect excuse to get there himself.

he relies on some of these things that Jamie might find to help out with talismans and tonics etc he's been known to make (by the right people) If that works with you?

It works very well and perhaps he even has some kind of standing order she brings him regularly some substance he needs for his potions and talismans. I do remember making a list of some of the artefacts mentioned in the book. I can see if I can find it.

@MsBloom Amazing. Sounds like we have a great place to kick off from and see where we go from there. Touch base and brainstorm as we go along.

Black Sprays - Black beads that are sometimes used in jewelery. A ray of light shone into one of these beads will be delayed in time and distorted. The transmission of the light is delayed depending on the bead's weight, size, and several other parameters. The light which exits the bead is always less than what entered. No other known properties.

This would be one of the more common artefacts Jamie brings YC. In the book they were used to make all manner of jewellery and despite being relatively common still quite valuable once refined, (think diamonds).

Bracelets - Somehow causes the person wearing one to become healthier over time.

A rare item but as I think is obvious quite valuable. Jamie might bring YC one in the opening scene.

Spitting Devil's Cabbage - Never explained in the novel. Redrick mentions how the special suits are decent protection against it, so it may be inferred that this is some form of hostile alien plant that spits a harmful substance at anything that gets too close.

This could perhaps be one of the more important, and rare, ingredients for YCs potions. Perhaps he is the only one who has realised its true potential and perhaps Jamie is the only one to have figured out how to safely retrieve it from the zone.

Black Bramble - The black bramble supposedly indicates the Zone's border, so presumably this is another form of alien plant life.

Burning Fluff - Some kind of irritating white fluff. For some reason, the wind never blows it out of the Zone. Redrick mentions how the special suits provide 100% protection against it, so it would seem to be much less threatening than some other Zone phenomena.

Greenie - A green colored substance that slithers like a long, thick snake randomly on the surface of the Zone. Possibly dangerous to humans, other properties unknown.

Could be other ingredients but far more common and less valuable.

Good idea. I just did the same.

When you've got YC all figured out put it up the Cast thread and we can get started. I don't think there is more we need to discuss for the starter. I already have a sort of template I use for Jamie in the context of the Zone that gives a bit of background as well to who she is.

I've read over the info available in all the threads posted up, including Jamie's background and details I could dig up. I'll detail this character and post him up in the next day or so and we can get started.

(y)

Just a question out of sheer curiousity. How would a hermaphrodite such as Jamie fit in with you wanting to play male x male?

It's not out of the realm of possibility - might be able to figure out something more on a demi-level if something were to happen, but not a preference.

Ok. It is not a necessity for YC to have any romantic or sexual feelings towards Jamie. I was just curious. I'm perfectly fine with playing Gilly against YC with Jamie basically just being in the background.

Rebooting thread for a new start of the Haunted Mansion which will be Chapter 1 of The Naked City Chronicles.

New chapters will be added for other locations as the ideas come to me, or are suggested to me.

So the basic premise is that I will play a sort of GM. The house has a sort of sentience and is imbued with some level of supernatural power that lets it project a variety of obstacles to it's guests. Creatures, hallucinations, alterations to their though patterns to promote a certain type of thinking. The house feeds on strong emotions, fear, excitement, lust, etc. So characters may encounter things that they don't like IC, but of course OOC limits will be respected.

The house has a sort of sentience and is imbued with some level of supernatural power that lets it project a variety of obstacles to it's guests.

If you add the character Christopher Barkley mentioned as part of the story about Bryce Fletcher-O'Brien and his daughter Alice being a representation of this malevolent sentience you most certainly have my fullest attention. More about Christopher Barkley can be found under the location Wonderland Sanatorium and I might at this point add that anyone by the name of Alice is in grave danger around him.

Essentially the character began as a very twisted version of Alice in Wonderland, way beyond the American McGee game version. I can elaborate further if this is of interest.

I remember that game coming out but never played it. I will do some research on Bryce and Alice in a bit.

Hello! Happy to be a part of this and I'm eager to help world build as needed/desired. I'll post my character in the other thread once I've finished crafting their backstory.

Are there any outstanding questions we're trying to answer for our Haunted Mansion? I imagine individual character motivations are our own, but does the house have one? What about a "conclusion" to our story? Are we leaning heavily into horror and mystery exclusively or are we trying to include other elements as well?

I'm also okay with being kept in the dark if that's the direction we want to go.

Back
Top Bottom