Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Naked City OoC.

MsBloom

Moonchild
So this is where we will coordinate, organise and discuss plot and character ideas for The Naked City Chronicles.

These are the stories currently running:

Last edited:
Oh crap, didn't realize everyone else before me had written their post; I'll get mine tonight. Sorry for the delay!

@Colonel_Liam @SurreptitiousApple A small detail perhaps about the mention of Spencer hearing the same voice Jamie heard. Maybe it is just me but wouldn't it make more sense if it was only Jamie who could hear it (since I suspect it is of course not actually Su-Ji but the entity within the house calling out).

Then again. Having also read Lea's post It sort of makes sense somehow that they too would hear the voice. I'm now torn between the two because it still seems most logical to me that the house would target the intruders individually. Then again with Spencer all excited about the possibility of witnessing a haunting come to life and Lea's more annoyed scepticism it allows for a reason for all three of them to proceed to solve the mystery.

I think I'd like to call for a vote on this.

From a "moving the action along" standpoint, it doesn't make a difference to me. Whether Spencer hears the voice or simply notices Jamie wandering off and calling after her friend, he's going to want to follow.

With regard to story-telling, I agree that individually targeting the intruders is most logical. I had assumed that to be the case given that @Colonel_Liam had asked for character fears and dreams. But it's so early and so close to the "entrance" that the house could conceivably be trying to draw all of them deeper inside, taking them past a point of no return before doing anything.

I can go either way. I might even say that our narrator should have the final word. But if you forced me to vote, I'd vote that they all hear the voice so that I don't have to rewrite anything ;)

I too can work either way and will defer to Liam as the narrator as my vote.

My only concern is that if our 3 'victims' aren't having a shared experience this can quickly turn into 3 stories for the narrator. I see a certain attraction to the 'who is she talking too' sort of vibe, but I also like my groups to stay groups and not pair off writing wise.

@Colonel_Liam would you like me to edit or just chalk this up to a misunderstanding or miscommunication and continue on? I'm fine either way.

I'll also try to be better about asking if I ever feel like something is ambiguous.

We have two votes for keeping it as it is now, both with the addition that they both can work either way and one (I assume) for Jamie being the only one hearing the disembodied voice.

Personally while still thinking it is a narratively better idea to have the house targeting the intruders individually I am also starting to lean towards keeping it as it is because of the the reasons I gave earlier.

Also:
But it's so early and so close to the "entrance" that the house could conceivably be trying to draw all of them deeper inside, taking them past a point of no return before doing anything.

I have also been thinking is that if this is an attempt at separating the group by luring the guide away then I would prefer that to happen later, when their options of leaving the mansion are not as easy as they are in the current situation.

@Colonel_Liam would it work for you to keep things the way they are or did you have a further developed plan.

In that case I agree with Lea and Apple about their characters also hearing the voice. But to make it interesting they might all hear a different voice, each calling their name, rather than all of them hearing Su-Ji's voice calling Jamie's name.

@Colonel_Liam would you like me to edit or just chalk this up to a misunderstanding or miscommunication and continue on? I'm fine either way.

I'll also try to be better about asking if I ever feel like something is ambiguous.
probably best just to cut it.
Rewritten. Outcome is more or less the same.

To explain a bit of confusion in my own posts after these I must admit that I completely missed this exchange between the two of you.

For future reference I think we should all be in agreement before rewriting, unless it is minor details or relates to something that has already happened IC.

I don't see any real harm done to the story though, just that @LeaT also has to edit her post before writing her next post.

Sorry, my mistake. Given that @LeaT and I were both prepared to defer to our narrator, I had assumed that was a safe change. I'll wait for a more solid consensus next time.

FWIW, I have my previous writing still saved so it would be trivial to restore.

I made an edit. I'm traveling so I just have my phone. Hopefully I didn't butcher it.

Back
Top Bottom