Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Orient Express OOC Thread

xavierrol

Old Dog, New Tricks
Supporter
Main Thread
Orient Express Character Profiles

Map of Europe 1936
1936 Wikipedia
What Happened in 1936
A History of the Orient Express

Schedule (for our purposes)

ArrivalApproximate Travel TimeArrival Time
Strasbourg, France​
4:3600:06 Thursday
Karlsruhe, Germany​
2:1803:54 Thursday
Stuttgart, Germany​
2:1806:12 Thursday
Munich, Germany​
4:3610:18 Thursday
Vienna, Austria​
11:3022:15 Thursday
Budapest, Hungary7:105:25 Friday
Belgrade, Yugoslavia13:0718:32 Friday
Constantinople, Turkey (Istanbul)24:0818:40 Saturday

Last edited:
Questions for discussion (plus your own questions).
  1. Direction of travel East or West?
  2. Should we play in 1936 or something else?
  3. Major Stops (heading east): London/Calais?, Paris, Strasburg, Munich, Vienna, Budapest, Bucarest, Constantinople (Istanbul)

I vote

1. Traveling eastward
2. 1936
3. Maybe start just after Calais? Some people can be on board already, and maybe we pick up more in Paris?

I vote

1. Traveling eastward
2. 1936
3. Maybe start just after Calais? Some people can be on board already, and maybe we pick up more in Paris?
I think that is the default unless someone has a compelling reason and makes their pitch in the next few hours or so.

I'm working on a short introduction to set the stage so you all can start introducing characters when ready. We are still short a few character profiles so I do hope those who said they were interested follow through there. As we are a small group, I don't plan on asking for a dedicated forum, if we get larger we can look into it.

As we start, I'm thinking characters are in one of 2 places. Either on the train from Calis to Paris, or in the station at Paris. So you can make your appearance either place, just state so up front. I am going to suggest you begin posts with the heading below.

Character Name (ideally a link to faceclaim, not the picture itself but a link please)
Location (Train or station will be fine for now)
Tag (who do you expect to respond to your post) @xavierrol (like this)

I'm happy to be going wherever the train is going. I'm still catching up on RPs so I don't mind our delay. I have a feeling this will be popping with replies once it gets launched!

Just a quick formality before getting started. I think this is the route it took in the 1930s but I'm not entirely sure.
Paris - Strasbourg - Karlsruhe - Stuttgart - Munich - Vienna - Budapest - Belgrade -Sofia - Constantinople (Istanbul).

Also I think the train from London/Calais connected in Strasbourg, not in Paris.

It is just that the question arose in my pm discussion with @captain_bond regarding our characters about the number of stops in Germany.

I can add the stops you show if that helps.

In order to keep things moving, how about we play each stop as being a real world week of writing? We allow new characters to join at each stop (if any) and others may depart (by default). I like to keep things flexible, but I also feel like we need a prompt to keep the story moving.

I will probably have Jane board the train in Paris and I am fine with 1936, closer to the war and more cloak and dagger stuff going on all over Europe.

how about we play each stop as being a real world week of writing?

I'd suggest two real world weeks if things don't move along naturally. Some scenarios might require more time due to complexity and I don't think we should limit that but if it goes slow and nothing really happens then after a specified amount of time we simply move along to the next station.

I can add the stops you show if that helps.

In order to keep things moving, how about we play each stop as being a real world week of writing? We allow new characters to join at each stop (if any) and others may depart (by default). I like to keep things flexible, but I also feel like we need a prompt to keep the story moving.
I like that idea. Then if someone is busy, we can assume their character is just hanging out on the train and not doing anything, and this allows our six days of travel to not take an entire year of real world writing.

Not that I'm adverse to spending time with you lovelies. Hopefully this RP thrives and we can take it beyond the original one-way trip.

I think we could wrap up the station and board once everyone has an initial post. I'm not hung up on the week or two one way or another. But I think we need to have a certain appreciation for the passage of time and that it isn't unlimited. But give enough time to accommodate most peoples schedules. We can always adjust and if we really like this, we can always head back in the other direction once we have conducted our business in Constantinople/Istanbul.

Also I think the train from London/Calais connected in Strasbourg, not in Paris.
If you will allow the artistic license, I'll keep it linear but will add the stops you suggest, adding London/Calais as the first stop.

Who am I to argue with artistic licence when my character basically has a licence to kill ;) not sure she has or will though.

It was just something that came up when I was researching the routes.

I'd like to see at least one more female character profile in place before I post the start. I have a draft written and will keep tweaking it but I think it is good enough at this point.

@MsBloom and/or @Queen Trish

MsBloom said:
Name: Jane Marple

Jane was recruited by British Intelligence Services during the last years of WW I and took part in the operation La Dame Blanche in Belgium and because of her skills and talents for deduction and deception she was kept on as a field operative. She is a rather modern woman with her hair cut short and often dressing in trousers and short-sleeved blouses and sweaters. She is 169 cm, slim and fit, stronger than she looks.
Should she have a cover story/persona?

Otherwise she is great.

The start is up. Let me know if questions or comments.

Still pondering my introductory post. There are a few major details I need to feel certain about first with regards to my character. Should be up later today.

A simple question, minor detail perhaps but the devil thrive on those: What time of year does our journey take place. I think it might be good to know so we can dress our characters accordingly. I for one wouldn't want to run around in a thick woollen coat in the midst of summer or a thin summer dress in winter.

Great question. I had been thinking on that one more for the political events than the clothes, but I'm not very stylish.

Let's say we are starting out on Wednesday, March 11, 1936. The train is scheduled to arrive 7:30pm

On March 7, Germany reoccupied the Rhineland, violating the Treat of Versailles that ended WWI.

Back
Top Bottom