Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice Server Move Notice

Start Threadmark

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
Some things are broken - please be patient while I fix things

Edit: Move will be at 2 AM PST.

So, after some unfortunate delays (holiday, shipping issues, and other madness) I finally have our new primary server. We will be moving the morning of Saturday, the 30th.

Elliquiy Role Playing will be running during the move. Because I need to do a clean database transfer (changing a core data structure size for performance reasons), the transfer will take some time.

Once the move is immanent I will make the notice public. I'll point people to the new server early, so you might see a bare-bones notice for a bit.

Additionally, there will be upgrades to be done after the move. This will probably break things as well, so plan for some disruption.

For the curious:

Server ComparisonNew ServerOld Server
CPUW-1290P (10-core, 3.7 GHz-5.3 GHz)E3 1270 v2 (4-core, 3.5-3.9 GHz)
Memory128GB DDR4-293332GB DDR3-1600
Hard Drives2x 1TB NVMe, 2x 1TB SSD2x 500GB SSD, 2x 1TB WD Raptor HDD

This is a pretty considerable upgrade, we can now fit our entire database in RAM again, if barely. : )

Thank you to everyone on Patreon who made this possible!

Note: Immediately after the move, we won't have a replication server for awhile. This means we won't have up-to-the-second backups until I get it on-line and functioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some specs, I figured the site was running on decent hardware to begin with, but that is quite the upgrade!

Oooh I was always curious about your hardware.
Are you self hosted?

Thanks for the update, hope it goes painlessly!

Dame Corbeau is asking my question, although I have another one... What about posting after the move? Will we actually be able to see that it posted? Also what about our accounts, will we be able to use our current ones, or have to make new?

Is anything happening in the background for the move already? As of this morning BMR no longer loads properly on my primary browser (Firefox) but it does on other browsers, and I'm not sure what changed. Figured I'd ask JIC even if this is purely a me issue.

Yeah, it's definitely a me issue. Youtube isn't even loading properly in Firefox now. Hmm..

Edit: Figured it out! Addon conflict with really coincidental timing.

will this site, still be called blue moon, or will the address for it change

For if i do not wish to be on elliquy server will I still be able to find this here? or must I move sites?

I'm positive it will still be BMR, it's just a server change.

Perhaps a silly question, but does this mean all of our posts and messages will be lost post move?

Nothing will be lost. But I won't have replication working immediately, so saving any posts you make after the move would be wise.

Oooh I was always curious about your hardware.
Are you self hosted?

Thanks for the update, hope it goes painlessly!

More or less. I do a cross between co-location and dedicated servers where I purchase some of the hardware upfront.

Allow me to basically ask a catch-all question: will anything change, be removed, or interrupted as a result of the server move?

Nothing will be removed directly.

Due to the nature of upgrades, it is possible that some of my own addons may break. The PM addon I created is rather sensitive to template changes so it likes to break on major upgrades.

There will be new features enabled. Push notifications are probably the main one.

Pardon a complete tech idiot for asking a perhaps rather obvious question but will BMR temporarily be shut down for this move and if so for how long?

When something like this happens, I tend to just skip the whole day just to be safe, although I'd estimate it could be done in 12:hours? Just hazarding a guess from previous experience with site shutdowns from a consumer's POV

Vek, please correct me if need be.

Move will commence about an hour from this post.

Back
Top Bottom