Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Shadows of Kagemusha (Visual Novel World)-IC: Special K University

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Rules, Setup, and World Info
Characters
Interest Check
OOC
SatoVR: Shadows of Kagemusha MMO
Kagemusha Streets: The Pit Stop

August 20201
Kagemusha Prefecture lucked out with regards to the COVID-19 crisis. For some reason, the disease did not hit the prefecture particularly hard. There were a few infections early on in the year, but by March, the disease had ran its course. Of course, Kagemusha had been inoculated against another disease that hit 7 years ago. For whatever reason, the other disease somehow prevented a large portion of the inhabitants of Kagemusha and its surrounding areas from catching COVID-19. In any case, Special K University is set to enroll students for the Fall 2020/Spring 2021 semester. Today is Student Orientation and Club Signup day. Clubs include:
  • The MMA Club, started about 2 years after the incident that occurred 7 years ago due to huge popular support of its then President Akira Takeba who the faculty of Special K university have retained as an Alumni Advisor. The club has set an octagon up in the northwest corner of the courtyard, currently occupied by Akiko Sato, sister of Tetsuo Sato, who is stationed by...
  • The Electronics Club, started around 3 years ago due to a corporate sponsorship by SatoVR. They have several VR booths set up in the northeast corner of the courtyard.
  • The Cooking Club which has Haruki Sayama as a faculty advisor. Her "food truck" style kiosk is set in the southeast corner of the courtyard, taking advantage of a northwesterly wind to waft the wonderful smell of food across the entire courtyard. It's a sort of candy apple smell, but also has some sort of smoked meat accompaniment.
  • The Science Club, which appears to not be especially noteworthy other than the fact that a mysterious old man sits with his feet on the fold out table, smoking a cigar. There are a few girls meandering the area with clipboards. As the food Haruki handed out and eaten, the members of the Science Club offer written surveys to any approaching their kiosk. There are a few takers. In general, physically fit people of either gender seem more inclined not to cuss them out for "bullshit surveys"
  • Various other clubs of little or no story significance that might have a small display board on a fold out table. One of them is for a religious organization of some sort--who seem to be protesting SatoVR--and another other for a local auto body shop rumored to have dealings of questionable legality in the city. It sparks curiosity why they'd be permitted in university functions.
The old man scanned the courtyard, watching for... something unknown. Every now and then, he would move his lips as to talk to himself. It was not immediately apparent unless one had been watching for a while, but he was speaking into a bluetooth headset. One might wonder why he did so unless they were to Assess the Situation2 successfully, and ask something approaching "the right questions."

Eiji and crew stood near the entrance to the octagon, apparently waiting their turn to best the Idol who currently reigns queen of the hill. All one had to do to have a chance to beat her was to sign up. Her own fan club cheered her on, while from the Electronics Club--those who are waiting on the VR experience having not yet obtained their coins--came jeers about various things like tits and nepotism... and much worse. For her own part, Akiko ignored them. Every time one of them was accusatory, she just hit harder.

1. This game would have started around that time if I'd had enough players then. Any references to 7 years ago refer to autumn 2013.
2. Assess is one of those things that vary group to group. For our purposes, you don't have to ask the exact questions, but if your question looks like one specified by Assess or some move you have that grants assess quesitons, I'm going to treat it as if you asked the question it looks like you asked.

Last edited:
Tetsuo shrugged, but also simultaneously appeared a little uneasy. "Yeah, hard to say what it could be for sure, but we do have the hookups required to do the testing. One of the holdovers from when the original Zaibatsu was taken over 7 years ago." he started packing up his personal effects. Then he touched his ear "Hey, yeah, we gotta pack it up in the courtyard, could you get a team to make sure nobody but one of the approved members takes anything?" he waited a moment "Fire it up." As he pulled his finger away, one noted that the headset he pulled it away from looked similar to the headset of the members of Special K's security teams. A helicopter could be heard in the distance. Then the CEO made to shout for his sister in the direction of the octagon, but stopped himself "Huh?" he said, shaking his head "Strange, she's not there." Then he turned around and began walking in the direction of the parking deck. On the way there, they crossed paths with Josei Jinko heading back toward the courtyard, but neither said anything. In a few moments, they got to the helicopter that had been getting louder the whole way. It was a very plain helicopter with SatoVR written on the side blocky Japanese script on the side, and propellers high enough that if one were to get a head cut off, they'd have to jump. He entered the rear, slid far enough to make room, and extended his hand to Yui "Shall we?"

Akihiro might have been over reacting to the idea of the MMA’s unwritten rule. But he couldn’t help how he felt about it. Not after what Hanako told him about her past. How can anyone be sure she won’t get forced to make an agreement with a fighter or do so because of over confidence? Even if she was trying to not have him worry, he can shake the imagine from his head. ”I’m gonna hold you to that. Doesn’t mean I won’t work to make sure you improve outside the club.”

"Ok, that's a promise!" Hanako said, giving him a peace sign It was then that the Dojikko realized she was wearing his glove "Er... this is yours... or um... theirs I guess." she handed it over "We should return it or something. Be best if you're wearing both gloves so they don't think I stole a leftie and you stole a righty." As they got there, Jinko Josei and a few flunkies were gathering equipment. One of the interface buttons on each globe caused the globe to fold down onto itself into what looked like about a 2 foot by 2 foot block. Seeing the boxes neatly folding on themselves Hanako developed a sudden sense of dread "WAIT! MY CLOTHES ARE IN ONE OF THOSE BOXES!" She was stopped by Captain Jinko "No sense trying to get them now, you'll just have to come with us. You have a full suit, so it looks like you're a full member of the Club. Shouldn't be anything there that would be a problem" Her eyes flickered as they shifted to Akihiro "He on the other hand, does not. But he does have gloves, and should have a visor as well." She seemed to be engaging in an inner monologue pondering whether it was worth it to try to bring Akihiro along with Hanako.​

”Shit. Your right.” Akihiro didn’t realize that he was still wearing the glove from the electronics club. Hanako was more obvious as she was wearing a full body suit. He got both gloves on as they arrived to see the set up being cleaned and removed. Akihiro covered his ears at Hanako’s shout and got a little annoyed. ”I’m not a member of the electronics club, but I intend to sign with it to help with the creation of the game and other tasks.” He pulls out the Dreamscape Coin for the captain to see. ”It’s just to get her clothes back, so I’m not gonna cause any problems. Can’t you just do us that simple favor?” Akihiro was really trying his best to help Hanako out.

"Nonsense!" The alabaster security guard said as she gestured to a half loaded Tesla truck. "We'd have to unload half of the globes, and potentially have to open them all, close them all, and put them all back. If we load the rest and take you along, we'll only have to load and unload once. Plus you only have half your setup if we get you the rest of it, we'll be squared away." It begged an interesting question: Why was Special K's security team doing this sort of menial labor instead of focusing on keeping the area secure? Before the question could be adequately addressed, Hanako started bouncing up and down excitedly which made her boobs go full on Gainax Mode. "Come on Akihiro! We should go see the facility!"

Last edited:
”What are you a secuirty guard or do you double as the head of the cleaning crew too?” Akihiro didn’t have the restraint to not ask the question and found himself not caring for the process they needed to go through. Were they really on their pay roll and who was keeping the area safe? A part of him was going to make the suggestion of telling her to pay for Hanako’s clothes, but his friend’s excitement stopped him. Looks like they are making the trip, after all. ”Hanako, please stop bouncing.” He tried putting his hands on her shoulders to get her to stop. People were going to stare.

Tetsuo shrugged, but also simultaneously appeared a little uneasy. "Yeah, hard to say what it could be for sure, but we do have the hookups required to do the testing. One of the holdovers from when the original Zaibatsu was taken over 7 years ago." he started packing up his personal effects. Then he touched his ear "Hey, yeah, we gotta pack it up in the courtyard, could you get a team to make sure nobody but one of the approved members takes anything?" he waited a moment "Fire it up." As he pulled his finger away, one noted that the headset he pulled it away from looked similar to the headset of the members of Special K's security teams. A helicopter could be heard in the distance. Then the CEO made to shout for his sister in the direction of the octagon, but stopped himself "Huh?" he said, shaking his head "Strange, she's not there." Then he turned around and began walking in the direction of the parking deck. On the way there, they crossed paths with Josei Jinko heading back toward the courtyard, but neither said anything. In a few moments, they got to the helicopter that had been getting louder the whole way. It was a very plain helicopter with SatoVR written on the side blocky Japanese script on the side, and propellers high enough that if one were to get a head cut off, they'd have to jump. He entered the rear, slid far enough to make room, and extended his hand to Yui "Shall we?"

Under almost any other circumstances, Yui would have been thrilled by the thought of a trip to SatoVR's offices. A chance to poke around behind-the-scenes, see how their hardware was setup, and maybe even catch Akiko doing motion capture for one of their new games? That was absolutely her jam! Today, though, there was enough on Yui's mind to dim any enthusiasm over their destination. She just nodded as Tetsuo spoke, and then fell silent as she leant against the VR globe and watched him pack up, lost in her own thoughts. Her usual outwardly-confident, bossy persona slipped for a moment while she thought she was unobserved, and a worried frown, pensive frown crept onto her face. She stayed that way until Tetsuo looked up and called for his helicopter, then suddenly started as she realised it was time to go. She still hadn't changed out of the VR suit.

"Oh! Wait a minute!"

There wasn't time to do anything about that now, but before they set off, Yui rushed back over to the boxes she'd been sitting on earlier to reclaim her shoes. She added them to the pile of clothing in her arms, then hurried back over to Tetsuo, and fell in behind him with a nod. Despite her earlier statements, it looked like she was going to be walking around in just the skintight haptic suit after all. She tried not to let it get to her - but she did glare at anyone she caught looking her direction as they made their way across the courtyard.

When they reached the helicopter, Yui took Tetsuo's hand, and climbed carefully inside...

(And Yui heads off to a conversation thread.)

Josei's eyes flickered again, this time much more unmistakable "I am... My job is... complicated. As a security officer, I also must deal in things on campus that are considered confidential. These are primarily the Electronics department and physics department. That does not mean the scope of my actions is limited to those departments. I am also authorized to use lethal force, and have security clearance for weapons outlawed to normal Japanese citizens." Hanako suddenly got an uneasy look in her eyes "Sorry 'Hiro-kun! I just got excited." she said, hoping the abbreviation of his name that she used to set him apart from Akiko did not offend. "I call Cobain!" she said, immediately getting in the seat behind the front passenger seat on the Tesla truck.​

”It’s fine.” Akihiro got his hands off of her shoulders, which brushed up against her breasts for a moment. A action he was unaware of as he watched her climbed into the truck. He simply got into the trunk and took a seat next to Hanako and waited for Josei to get in. Normally, he would be interested in seeing SatoVR Offices, like she is, but they weren’t getting the tour. They were going there to get Hanako’s clothes and leave. Going off on their own can get them into serious trouble. ”What? Are you hiding military secrets or building weapons of mass destruction?” It wasn’t said as a joke. If they were able to use lethal force and have illegal weapons than they must be doing serious work.

Last edited:
While other personnel were loaded Josei at least entertained the line of conversation. It was within the scope of her occupation to be 'cheeky' "Yes." she said simply. "Though which one, I'm not telling you, and even if you find out, I can only divulge more if you sign some pretty serious paperwork." She chuckled "Or else I might have to kill you. Which would really be annoying because it's in direct conflict with one of my directives." Her eyes flickered again. Hanako could not keep herself from remarking on it this time "Hey lady, is something wrong with your eyes, they flickered like you're a robot or something."

Akihiro was now eyeing Josei with a narrowed look. It was as if his eyes were trying to peer into her, but failing to crack through the hard surface. There were many questions going through his head, which he didn’t have answers too. Nor can he properly get a good read on the woman to tell what she was thinking. Some things did come to him from listening to her speak.

Josei full intended to follow her directives and rather not shoot anyone as it would conflict with them. Even though she will need too it something happens. Like someone finding out too much. Just what kind of directives is this woman following? SatoVR is just making video games. What purpose was there to be so serious about it? Is something else going on? Are they doing something behind the scenes? Are the globes being used for more than just games?

Akihiro couldn’t tell because of how this woman conveyed her neutrality. She was humoring his conversation, but not letting herself give anything away. That and she was too focused. Like a robot, as Hanako pointed out. ”That’s a bit extreme for video games, don’t you think?” His eyes were still narrowed as they hit a speed bump, where he jumped from his seat and ended up in Hanako’s breasts.

Josei got in the the front of the truck, and some other guard got in "shotgun" in front of Hanako. She appeared to not dig for any keys or fobs, but still able to start the truck. It was quiet, but appeared to have been equipped with a sort of artificial noise as a safety feature. The guard captain looked into the rear view and nodded "It is perhaps a bit extreme if SatoVR's product was just a video game. You saw yourself SatoVR has the ability to simulate serious injuries, but they must do so in a way that prevents actual harm to their users. With this being as groundbreaking as it is, it's not difficult to see why the government might want to authorize extremes in favor of protecting such a product."

Exit to Conversation thread.​

Back
Top Bottom