Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Comfort Games?

I bought a pre-owned ps2 slim just to play this on a T.V. I got from a garage sale. Everything about it was worth it.

('Oi, guv!')

It's a FANTASTIC little gem. I love nearly everything about it and I've played and finished it at least half a dozen times. Hell, I even have a monk in our D&D campaign I gave a Cockney accent just sos I could go around and shriek "COR BLOIMEY" - 'cause'a Yangus, who is just, chef's kiss. Perfection.

Here's a few others I take immense comfort in, to keep OT:
Spyro (first three but especially first two).
.hack (both R1 and R2 but especially R1).
And oddly enough Shadow Hearts, as dark as the series is. Solid trilogy even if the 3rd falls a little flat and the 2nd is absolutely my favorite.

Skyrim! Played it start to finish, every side and miscellaneous quest I could, top to bottom.

Monster Hunter 4U
Monster Hunter Generations
Halo: CE and 2 (would include 3, Reach, and ODST if my PC could play The Master Chief Collection)

Any Suda51 game. Might seem odd for ‘comfort games,’ but the violence and action is so over-the-top and silly that it ends up being strangely relaxing.

That, and the artstyles are always killer

Weirdly I don't have any, I suspect it's cause my backlog is so long I feel bad going back when there's new stuff to finish.

Mass Effect 2, and to a lesser degree 3.
Dragon Age Origins and 2.
Bioshock 1 and 2.
For awhile, Vampyr.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
I used to like Primal on PS2 even though I never finished it (bet no one here remembers that one!)
GTA: Vice City
Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire AS, as well as a couple after that, but not the more modern iterations. AS was the newest one I played. I really enjoyed Black and White as well.
Alice: Madness Returns is also near and dear to me even though it's frustrating sometimes.

Mass Effect (except for Andromeda), Diablo, Dragon Age: Origins.The Witcher 3, Bioshock (all).

Dragon Quest IV-VI, VIII
Final Fantasy IV & IX
Earthbound
Stardew Valley
Recettear : An Item Shop's Tale
Battlefront II (OG)

Monster Hunter 3U/4U
Yakuza 0

Minecraft (unironically)

I saw someone else mentioned DQ VIII, it's lowkey one of the contenders for my favorite games of all time ngl.

Oh yeah, sometimes I'll just stand in the Citadel in ME1 for no real reason...

Mass Effect trilogy (the first one can be a bit hard), Dragon Age trilogy (new PC...need to re-install and re-mod Origins), Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

I'm not much of a gamer, tbh.

Every once in a while I find myself coming back to Runescape. It may not be for a long time. But I just find that world so nostalgic and relaxing.

Slay the Spire was this for the longest time. Optimizing your deck on autopilot keeps the mind busy and anxiety at bay, also it's visual and sound design is both simple and really satisfying :3

Medieval Dynasty from time to time. It is mostly just a town/settlement builder game. There are other elements, but once you start recruiting people they basically do most resource farming for you. You still have to make stuff for them to farm with and there is durability/items break. So it is just basically a town management game/break from traditional norm of other game tropes.

I usually like horror and challenging games from the Silent Hill Series to Elden Ring, but as for a comfort game... Forza Horizon 5 makes me feel really good every time I play it.

I kinda have a toxic relationship with The Sims, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and anything from Bioware. I'll spend so long creating a character, designing the perfect looks, thinking up a fleshed out backstory, and then start the game and lose interest so quickly.

But as for games that I do acutally complete time and time again because they feel good and resonate with me, I love character driven games, even though they usually break my heart. So God of War, the Last of Us 1 & 2, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn & Forbidden West are all games I've dived into time and time again.

Stardew valley and Skyrim are my go to games when I just want to play something, as well as still trying to find everything in legend of zelda breath of the wild.

Farming style games like Rune Factory which helped me through a very rough period in my life. But lately been finding myself heavily enjoying the Yakuza series(especially the cabaret mini game) and one day I need to get back into my Monster Hunter hammer main lifestyle. Nothing more relaxing than bonking heads ✌️

Back
Top Bottom