Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Foods you will not eat?

Mathim

Star
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, after talking to a new co-worker who has surprisingly had very little in the way of experience with too many different varieties of foods which really surprised me for someone who isn't younger than 20.

But I did get reminded about a few foods I'm not keen on and while I'm the type of person who'll try anything once before rejecting it, there are a handful more than even I realized that I just won't stomach, and will literally spit out once I taste them. So what foods make your body reject them, and not just in a food allergy way?

Sauerkraut is one of mine. Something about the taste of whatever it's pickled in just rubs me entirely the wrong way. Curiously I am not opposed to kimchi, even though my friends tell me it's similar but with a bit of spice to it.

Coleslaw is another one of those and I guess depending on what it's made of, maybe I can sometimes stomach it, but often whatever dressing they are using is so similar to how I feel about sauerkraut, I can't handle it.

Sweet. Pickle. Relish. So you've got a green vegetable that I'm only willing to eat when it's either pickled or cooked, so 2 out of the three are just fine. But then you throw in that utterly nauseating, vomit-inducing sweetness into something that sour and salty with the texture of something that has no business being sweet? Yeah, no, sorry, that will make me evacuate the contents of my gastric sac faster than accidentally biting down on a bitter pill. That's not even the worst bit; this is what makes it impossible for me to eat 99% of macaroni and potato salads. If I had a time machine I would literally assassinate every person who ever attempted to pervert the recipe for those two party dishes by poisoning them with that awful taint.

Cherries. I love cherry juice and the flavor of cherries in most things. But biting into one, somehow it just has a bizarre texture I wouldn't expect them to and the taste isn't anything like when it's been juiced. Maraschino cherries are even worse, somehow the texture is even more impossible to chew and you don't even get the remote resemblance of the original cherry flavor.

Cranberries and cranberry sauce. Can't stand it. At least with cranberry juice, it's delightfully sweet before that acute bitter aftertaste bite once you swallow it. But with cranberries and the sauce (jellied or the real thing), it's nothing but bitter from start to finish. I will never, ever understand why people like that stuff.

And I guess for the sake of full disclosure, most raw green vegetables. Cooked, there's almost none I would not be fine eating, though some are less desirable than others, but I'll still eat them.

On a related note, I have never tried beets, pickled or otherwise and I believe at least in the latter case, I probably wouldn't care for them in the same vein as sauerkraut and/or sweet pickle relish. I am also eager to taste durians but I don't think that will be possible without leaving the country.

Not big on Asian food as I don't like ginger unless it's part of a sweet dish, can't stand coriander/cilantro either which is a common ingredient in Asian foods.
Won't eat stuff like tofu.

The only thing I won't eat are melons. In every shape or kind.

Everything else, literally, I will. To try it out once or to eat it because I love it. I would even eat human meat in case of survival or death. If eating human flesh means I will survive, I won't hesitate.

'Exotic' food I have tried: Zebra, Camel, Croc, Kangaroo, Snake, insects, shark, sea-urchin, to name but a few.

Liver......of any kind not a big fan. Lima beans used to love succotash, squash but now I can’t stand either. Certain textures make my skin crawl just thinking about it. Brussel sprouts.... the vegetable that smells like feet, taste even nastier. I could go on but I’ll just leave all that here for now.

Burger King.

Every time I drive by one, it smells like a tire fire and french fries.

No. Thank. You. ^.^

Interesting, I thought there might be a little more overlap on some common things but I guess not. I'll eat anything on anyone else's list, and no one had issues with the same things I won't eat.

Eww Sauerkraut is a Definite no for me unless it’s in Reuben casserole, then I’ll eat it but only then because it’s mixed with cheese etc. can’t eat beets either but love pickled eggs, theres a few others I just didn’t wanna make a long list Of things I wont eat.

Eww Sauerkraut is a Definite no for me unless it’s in Reuben casserole, then I’ll eat it but only then because it’s mixed with cheese etc. can’t eat beets either but love pickled eggs, theres a few others I just didn’t wanna make a long list Of things I wont eat.

Don't hold back, I'm genuinely curious to see the extent of what people just can't stand, and why. Maybe include it in a general category rather than individual things, for instance how pickled things that are also sweet are vile and disgusting to me, which let me lump several individual items together under one umbrella.

Okra-it’s slimy, just looks disgusting. Pickled pigs fee- nasty nasty... never had them but the idea makes my skin crawl. Octopus or Calamari again never had it but the idea of it just sends my stomach into a fit of flips. um... that’s all I can come up with right now.

I don’t think I’d care for raw okra but I like it as a component of gumbo. Haven’t tried pickles pigs feet, but if some offered I’d at least take a bite. Calamari is okay, it’s chewier and less flavor some than something I would want to spend money on.

Being Dutch, I can only look with rising amazement about the aversion of some against sauerkraut, making me very curious as to how you lot eat it.

The Dutch basically have two ways, with the difference only the accompanying meat. Sauerkraut-mash, so cook potatoes and the sauerkraut together, mash it all up, is one dish. You can add milk or butter when mashing, but that's not so much of a difference.
The meat! The first one poses a problem in translation. For the only English word that comes up for all different parts is bacon. However, it's a lot more than 'just' bacon. They pieces are thicker, roughly a couple if inches, but have a side (on looking in an actual dictionary, one of paper, it translates as rind) to it, that when crispy is yummy. And the butter it's cooked in gives a lovely topping for the mash.
The second one translates as smoked sausage, which is to be cooked. It doesn't give a jus to the mash, but that's not necessary as the meat is very juicy when cooked.

I can be very picky when it comes to texture. I like a lot of my food to be dry for the most part which doesn't explain my fascination with soaking food in vinegar but whatever right? I don't like most seafood.

Pickles and olives. I cannot stand either of ‘em.

Being Dutch, I can only look with rising amazement about the aversion of some against sauerkraut, making me very curious as to how you lot eat it.

The Dutch basically have two ways, with the difference only the accompanying meat. Sauerkraut-mash, so cook potatoes and the sauerkraut together, mash it all up, is one dish. You can add milk or butter when mashing, but that's not so much of a difference.
The meat! The first one poses a problem in translation. For the only English word that comes up for all different parts is bacon. However, it's a lot more than 'just' bacon. They pieces are thicker, roughly a couple if inches, but have a side (on looking in an actual dictionary, one of paper, it translates as rind) to it, that when crispy is yummy. And the butter it's cooked in gives a lovely topping for the mash.
The second one translates as smoked sausage, which is to be cooked. It doesn't give a jus to the mash, but that's not necessary as the meat is very juicy when cooked.

I think it's too late and the damage has been done, so the idea of mixing sauerkraut with anything else is just beyond my ability to imagine being able to mitigate that awful taste. As I've been introduced to it, it's mainly a condiment for hot dogs so it's pretty stand-alone and isn't cooked with anything, just being slapped on something that was cooked separately isn't going to do it any favors in my book. Maybe if I ever travel abroad I'll have someone prepare it like that you're describing and I'll take another bite. Until then, barf.

@Solo, if it's giving you rashes, you're definitely allergic to some degree. That's a real shame, I'm a huge onion lover, though my friend doesn't care for them because he says the taste overwhelms the flavor of everything else and lingers for DAYS after. Which is never the experience for me, though if it was I wouldn't mind since I love them so much. Doesn't matter cooked or raw, he hates them both ways and I love them both ways.

Well considering what heat does to denature proteins, it's not surprising that cooking can change how one's body reacts to a set of chemicals. At least that's good you're not entirely denied the wonderful experience of onions. And to be honest cooked are the best anyway.

Olives, the texture is just unpleasant to me and overly salty like capers. No thank you.

Mayo is gross it smells awful and tastes overly savory with a hint of sweet. Gross. Not my condiment.

Oh! I thought of another one.

Grapefruit. It tastes like an Orange that hates you. So bitter. So harsh. I can't fathom how people enjoy the taste of it.
So they'll tell you, "Put sugar on it." Ok, so now it tastes like hate and a little bit of sugar.

Blech! No. Never.

I agree that grapefruit is pretty awful, and while I will never drink the juice because much like plain cranberries and sauce, it'll taste bitter from start to finish (which is ironic because cranberry juice doesn't have that issue for me), But I have had a few occasions where the actual 'meat' of the fruit was okay so I can't say I won't eat it. But I have found that the pink grapefruit variety is less bitter than the more yellow kind, where the meat is more similar in color to the rind.

Anything with too strong a licorice flavor does me in: anise, fennel seeds, absinthe, and the like. The worst part is that I used to like these things. Right up until a certain incident in my college days involving a bottle of absinthe, an unrequited crush, and a lot of irresponsible binge drinking...

The only other ones are natto, and tempeh. I've tried both on several occasions, and there's something in the taste I can't quite get over. While I wouldn't turn my nose up at well-prepared tempeh, I would go to some effort to avoid it if possible. Since the only prep I've ever seen for natto is "straight up on top of rice", I would go out of my way to avoid having to eat it, but I've also never been in a case where it's required.

I suppose there's one more food I tried recently and will never voluntarily eat again: whale. Tasted like fishy, oily beef, and in a really bad way. I tried it once because I'm a completionist, and it was cheap, but gods that was a mistake I couldn't get out of my mouth fast enough. However, it seems exceptionally unlikely I'll ever have a need to eat it again, so I'm not inclined to worry overly much about this aversion. Taste aside, it's probably one of the most unethical things I've ever put into my mouth, too.

Do you like Cottage Pie?

I, too, am curious about what that is. Is it anything like Shepherd's pie?

Anything with too strong a licorice flavor does me in: anise, fennel seeds, absinthe, and the like. The worst part is that I used to like these things. Right up until a certain incident in my college days involving a bottle of absinthe, an unrequited crush, and a lot of irresponsible binge drinking...

The only other ones are natto, and tempeh. I've tried both on several occasions, and there's something in the taste I can't quite get over. While I wouldn't turn my nose up at well-prepared tempeh, I would go to some effort to avoid it if possible. Since the only prep I've ever seen for natto is "straight up on top of rice", I would go out of my way to avoid having to eat it, but I've also never been in a case where it's required.

I suppose there's one more food I tried recently and will never voluntarily eat again: whale. Tasted like fishy, oily beef, and in a really bad way. I tried it once because I'm a completionist, and it was cheap, but gods that was a mistake I couldn't get out of my mouth fast enough. However, it seems exceptionally unlikely I'll ever have a need to eat it again, so I'm not inclined to worry overly much about this aversion. Taste aside, it's probably one of the most unethical things I've ever put into my mouth, too.

Oh, how could I forget black licorice? I mean, I won't vomit if I accidentally bite into a Jelly Belly bean of that thinking it's some other dark-ish flavor like grape or something, but I HATE having to find out too late that it's not what I wanted to fill my mouth with the taste of. But the real deal, black licorice sticks? You couldn't pay me to bite into one of those.

I am curious to try natto and I think I've had tempeh before but I can't remember. I would like to try whale, just for shits and giggles. I've had a kangaroo burger, ostrich burger, and I think possibly crocodile but it may have been some other thing that, if one saw it on a menu, you'd be like, 'da fuck?'

I, too, am curious about what that is. Is it anything like Shepherd's pie?

Oh, how could I forget black licorice? I mean, I won't vomit if I accidentally bite into a Jelly Belly bean of that thinking it's some other dark-ish flavor like grape or something, but I HATE having to find out too late that it's not what I wanted to fill my mouth with the taste of. But the real deal, black licorice sticks? You couldn't pay me to bite into one of those.

I am curious to try natto and I think I've had tempeh before but I can't remember. I would like to try whale, just for shits and giggles. I've had a kangaroo burger, ostrich burger, and I think possibly crocodile but it may have been some other thing that, if one saw it on a menu, you'd be like, 'da fuck?'

Cottage Pie and Shephard's Pie are basically the same dish, but with different mince meat used. Lamb mince and it's Shephard's, Beef mince and it's Cottage. And I'm sure if you use chicken mince, it's got another name too.

Ah liquorice, The Dutch get it as their first food as babies. We grow on it. The hard double-salted variant is to die for. It's funny that all food things that come natural to me, are my heritage, seem to be the ones you lot don't like.

Ah liquorice, The Dutch get it as their first food as babies. We grow on it. The hard double-salted variant is to die for. It's funny that all food things that come natural to me, are my heritage, seem to be the ones you lot don't like.
I liked licorice plenty before my college incident. I'd always steal my dad's Good and Plenty (mom doesn't like licorice candy but likes fennel) when I was smol. Probably my Belgian genes asserting themselves. While it no longer makes me gag, I never recovered the ability to enjoy it. :/

Tempeh can be pretty innocuous when prepared right, which is why I don't mind it terribly when encountered. But working with it... Eugh.

Kangaroo and ostrich are great, as is horse (tried on the same adventure as whale, raw and sliced against the grain, would seek out and eat again!). But whale... Man, I was in your mindset: shots and giggles, but damn it just was bad. And then I felt guilty after!

Back
Top Bottom