Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

help?

Kaldor

Sith Lord
hi i was hoping for some help with my rt thread. i was told my ideas are ok but i dont think im showing them in a manner thats appealing and it shows.

Solo

π–‘π–Šπ–™ π–™π–π–Š π–•π–†π–˜π–™ π–‰π–Žπ–Š
Staff member
Officer
Hiya! I'd be happy to give my thoughts. Please keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion and is definitely not meant to be an authoritative take or offensive in any capacity.

So it might just be personal preference, but I do generally prefer browsing RTs that are presented in a professional manner, i.e. spelling and grammar are checked, etc. The all-lowercase way of presenting things/not capitalizing properly/etc. can be off-putting to some users.

I also think that you could probably stand to be a bit clearer about what you offer/what you expect from potential partners. Perhaps consider adding in things like what you prefer in regards to post length, post frequency, where you prefer to RP, etc. If you don't give potential viewers any information on what you offer, they are less likely to be enticed/think you two will mesh well as writers.

Other than that, I think your ideas are unique and should definitely attract partners, I think it's just the way they're presented that might detract from potential RPers contacting you. Feel free to ask if you need clarification on anything!

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
thank you i've updated it some and here's hoping it's better than it was.

Dirty Fingers

Super-Earth
Overall your RT follows a standard set out or template. I like that it is straight to the point and you have used spoilers to keep everything neat.

But.. you seem to avoid using capital letters at the start of sentences and you also don't seem to use punctuation. Given you mention liking well thought out stories, the poor grammar contradicts with that and it would put me off.

You have some typos as well, which again happens and normally I would over look it, however that coupled with the above sets off alarm bells for me.

Finding a partner is difficult though so it's something that just takes time. And I just noticed you have posted while I was still writing this.

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
Yes, i just spent some time giving it some TLC based on what Solo said. I wont make any excuses about capitals and grammar. My RT is definitely my Achilles Heel.

Solo

Staff member
Officer
I'm a huge stickler for spelling and grammar, so I'm probably not the best person to judge things based on that because I expect a pretty high level of proficiency that some might not really care about, haha.

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
That's ok. Im currently going through and finding everything i overlooked. I'm happy to hear criticisms to improve as long as their to help not just hammer me down.

Night Shadow

Don't follow in my footsteps.. I walk into things.
I agree with Solo. Cleaning up the RT is a good first step. Most will expect your RP responses to look similar in terms of skill. It's not just the first impression people will have of you..

It's also their first impression of your ability to write.

Make it count! ☺

Solo

Staff member
Officer
I don't know where you write responses from, but a good spell-checker and grammar-checker is always a plus. I use Grammarly in my browser on my computer, and it frequently catches errors I make when I'm writing too quickly to catch them in the moment.

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
I just added grammerly to my chrome. Thank you for the tip.

Night Shadow

I just looked at it again. It certainly is looking better. I would go over the plot samples again and look at them with a fresh perspective. The stories seem to run together. When you check for spelling/grammar/etc.. Try breaking them into paragraphs.

I don't know what the generally accepted standard is here. I personally was taught that one to two paragraphs was semi-literate, with literate being three to six paragraphs and advanced reaching seven or more.

Solo

Staff member
Officer
I just looked at it again. It certainly is looking better. I would go over the plot samples again and look at them with a fresh perspective. The stories seem to run together. When you check for spelling/grammar/etc.. Try breaking them into paragraphs.

I don't know what the generally accepted standard is here. I personally was taught that one to two paragraphs was semi-literate, with literate being three to six paragraphs and advanced reaching seven or more.
I try not to use set terms like literate, semi-literate, etc. because I find that everyone has different expectations for what those mean. I don't think there's a "site standard"; I think most people here just write out what they expect/what they offer without using defining terms. For instance, I state in my RTs that length isn't my concern, but that I require spelling and grammar to be checked very well. I don't think I'm "literate" or "advanced" or anything, though.

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
I think solo was referring to your comment on the length of the post. My question is you mentioned the plots running together. Did you mean they are all similar or just that I need to break them up into more paragraphs?

Solo

Staff member
Officer
Ah. I misunderstood this sentence then-
Ah, I was just referring to when you said "I don't know what the generally accepted standard is here"! I don't think we really have a 'general' or even a typical here. People are pretty varied, which I think is what makes the site great!

I think solo was referring to your comment on the length of the post. My question is you mentioned the plots running together. Did you mean they are all similar or just that I need to break them up into more paragraphs?
I think the plots are short enough that you don't need to worry about breaking them up into more paragraphs, but that's just me. I don't think they're too similar, I think you've got good ideas.

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
Is there anything more I can do or just wait for a partner to check it?

Solo

Staff member
Officer
Is there anything more I can do or just wait for a partner to check it?
I personally think sitting down and doing some serious spelling and grammar editing would help, but that's just me. Other than that, I don't really see anything inherently wrong with it; sometimes it really is just a waiting game.

Night Shadow

The plots themselves are fine. Personally, I guess, I break up responses into paragraphs based on when the focus shifts. For example, in the draconian one- it starts with a bit of general info about the world, then it shifts focus to the character.

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
Not going to lie, the app found 52 errors and I fixed them... I think.

Solo

Staff member
Officer
Not going to lie, the app found 52 errors and I fixed them... I think.
I think it looks a lot better! I think the fixer-uppering you've done will bring you more success than you've had. ^_^

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
Well, here's hoping. I've been out of the gamer so to speak for a long while.

Dirty Fingers

Super-Earth
"The rest is basic" listed on your likes, nothing is basic on a site like this. Interests can span anything at all and include anything. You need to be specific.

Mentioning you are literate and then saying you write a minimum of a paragraph is confusing. A lot of people see "literate" as being a RP'er who writes 4 plus paragraphs per post and is very descriptive. So I was confused when I read that.

Also consider mentioning what you like to explore in a RP. I know you have touched on it a little with the story lines and smut balance but where are you hoping to take your ideas? What is going to keep them rolling onward?

OP
Kaldor

Kaldor

Sith Lord
I took out the literate part. Solo mentioned it before that everyone has different standards and their idea of literate is different so best not to confuse it any more than I have already. I did take out the basic bit as well. To be frank I never considered the long term aspect for my RP as I've always written with the idea of an evolving plot where both people take the initial plot and expand adding twists and flavors not originally intended. it's definitely something to think about thou.

Top Bottom