Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My Not So Imaginary Friend (Musashi X Frogger)

Maki thought it over for just a second before sliding her cup his way. “Here, I’ll order another one. Go ahead.” A hand raised summoned another waitress, and after asking politely, Maki dared to get a straw and steal a sip of his root beer. “Hey, I’ll be happy to get any help. It’s a mess over there. I don’t know what to do… I don’t have a clue.” A soft sigh left her lips next. Maki glanced up when a small bottle was set down, only to offer the woman a warm smile. “Thank you. I appreciate it.” More people piled in, taking seats to her left. Fragments of conversation wafted over, but other than that… it was like they were in their own little world. A man slipped past to hand out menus.

“Do you have any idea what you’re going to have?” Maki cracked open her menu, looking over the options casually. “I don’t know about you, but I’m starving. I think I’m going to order the steak and chicken dinner… but instead of the vegetables, extra rice.” Mm, yummy. “I’ll probably regret it later, and yet… I know for a fact I’ll be taking home leftovers. I can eat off that for a couple days.” Nothing wrong with that, either! It’s way too good to go to waste. Maki closed her menu, now going through the motions of pouring herself some sake.

Musashi smiled and nodded showing gratitude as he took the little cuplet and sipped a little of the fine sake within. Thoughts briefly occurred to him as he drank a little: on one hand, the super strength and fierce fortitude he inherited from his birth parents and honed over the years meant his alcohol resistance was formidable. On the other, the man who raised him, a wise samurai, always advised him to not overdo it when it came to things like drinking. Knowing that, he took the slightest sip for now. but opted to save the rest until the arrival of dinner. Seeing Makine strawing in some of the root beer, he slid the glass towards her to make it easier for her to take a little and shared, "yes do try it; It's great!"

Curious about their upcoming mission, the dedicated warrior asked his lovely and talented friend, "What is this world you've been observing, and what exactly has been happening there?"

"I could go for the largest steak dinner they offer!" the hungry swordsman intended. "And if the combo meals are bigger I might get one of those!" he added, along with , "And I'm a get an appetizer..maybe white tuna sushi!" Finally, he agreed with her plans, "I've been known to get extra and heat it up the next day, but I guess we'll see today. As you may recall, I eat like an ogre!"

“‘Ogre’ sounds about right,” Maki couldn’t help but laugh. “Ah, let me see…” A finger tracing the edge of the little, teeny tiny cup, Maki let her thoughts venture back to the world she left behind only recently. “It’s a world… way different than any I’ve ever seen before,” she thought to share first. “It’s hard to… breathe there. I don’t know why, but I’ve cast spells to make it easier, and… nothing’s worked. The air’s very thick. It’s brutally hot, too… probably because of the three suns. I have to say, though: I love sitting outside at sunset. It’s absolutely beautiful.” Maki lifted a hand to scratch at her cheek now, chuckling a little. “Listen to me ramble on. You’re probably more interested in hearing about what’s going on over there, not… the general information I’m spouting off.”

In other words, she needs to shut her mouth. Ugh. Maki rubbed her hands together, trying to think of how best to explain things. “Let’s just say… war’s brewing. I’ve been trying to defend this one… peaceful tribe, but there’s a powerful sorcerer. Every so often he’ll send… a massive storm, and I can’t do anything to dispel it. All I can do is clean up the mess.” Frustration coated her last words.

“Anyway. If you’re going to order that much, you better share,” Maki playfully threatened. “I love sushi.” A finger poked him in the side. “I mean it. You share, or else I’ll… I don’t know, but you better. Oh! That’s right, I need to figure out where you’re sleeping tonight…” Maki frowned thoughtfully. “You’re so tall, I don’t think you’ll fit on my couch. I guess… we can sleep together in the same bed-? I mean, we’re friends, so it’s not a big deal or anything.”

Musashi listened carefully to the intel, both the general information about the world Makine had been to and the specific information about the war happening there. He seemed frightened at the idea that breathing there, even with spells, was especially problematic, so much so that he asked, "Uh oh; should we obtain see about breathing devices before we try going there? Or maybe I can see if Lumina could produce some kind of air supplying / cooling bubble?" He then smiled gently at the mention of the triple sunset. "Oh wow that must be a sight! 3 suns..but I guess they're close to each other so there are in fact nights there? I've heard tales of a planet that was sort of stuck between 3 suns, making it so there were no nights." Finally, he shared, "Hmm..I'll have to see how nasty this sorcerer really is! I've tangled with a couple of wicked wizards before; barely made it out alive each time!"

Blushing and stammering as the pretty girl demanded some sushi, Musashi awkwardly agreed, "Ah..yes..of course you can have some sushi too!" He squeaked a little upon feeling her nudge, which also popped his eyes wide open for a quick moment. He then listened to her discuss sleeping arrangements. Normally he would accept a couch or pay for a room in such a situation, but upon hearing her invite him to sleep beside her, his heart jittered. He then accepted, "I..I'm okay with that too if you are, Maki!"

On seeing their server return with extra drinks, the food-crazed samurai requested, "Could I get a shareable white tuna appetizer?" He then turned his attention to the chef at the metal table, who was getting the cooking show started by playing with oils and controlling the big flames that popped up while his helpers came with slabs of meat and containers of varied produce items.

“I, ah… I bought a few after my first visit there,” Maki replied on a sigh, “and… I don’t know. It just didn’t work. Luckily… breathing isn’t impossible in this other world, just… harder. I definitely think that’s worth trying, though.” Lumina? Did she miss something in that crazy story? Maybe. Maki let her chin rest in the palm of a hand, silver swaying forward in order to brush against a cheek. It wasn’t long until a smile followed shortly after the fact. “It’s breathtaking. Trust me when I say… three suns? Setting? Wow.” A chuckle bubbling up, Maki let her attention get caught up in the chef arriving, in his helpers with the huge platters of chicken and steak, butter and rice and vegetables. “I’ll still have to figure out what we’re going to do about tonight… I mean, I don’t know if you wear anything to bed, or if you sleep in the nude.” Maki let a nonchalant shrug roll through her shoulders. “I also have a habit of hogging the blankets, so I might have to bring in another one or two just so you’re covered.”

No pun intended. Maki cried out in delight as flames flared to life before their eyes, clapping her hands together. “I suppose I can use another illusion tomorrow… but I think that depends more on when we’d like to tackle that particular problem.” A small, Japanese man flashed everyone a winning smile, though he threw Maki a playful wink before getting to work. “What would you like?” he asked a fifty-something year old woman in broken English, waiting patiently as she pointed out her order on the menu.

After a couple more people, it was their turn. “Ah, yes. I’d like to have the steak and chicken dinner, with extra rice instead of the vegetables,” Maki ordered. “Oh, and we’d like to have a white tuna sushi roll to share?” A thumb was used to gesture towards Musashi. Nearly, a man nodded and jotted this down in a notebook, hurrying off to the kitchens to take care of it. “May I have another sip of your root beer?” Maki asked him next.

Musashi looked mildly relieved when Makine mentioned she possessed breathing devices, "That's good; we'll need to be able to survive if we're going to help the people there!" Hearing her confusion about Lumina he clarified, "Oh: Lumina is my heavy sword. It can generate small amounts of fire, water and wind, and even make little earthquakes in small areas; I just have to place the right element scroll into the hilt's special holster!"

The giddy samurai, getting weird feelings when the pretty girl talked about sleeping beside him, looked around before discreetly telling her, "I wear softer clothes to bed generally; I have them in my pouch." He signaled to a tiny belt pouch he had on and shared, "It's bigger on the inside."

With the time to confirm dinner choices at hand, Musashi informed the veteran chef, "I'll take the large-size steak dinner; all the usual vegetables and rice for me!" He then turned back to Maki and motioned towards the root beer inviting, "Yes, do try more; they serve a good one here!" Anticipating the coming of the sushi appetizer, Musashi split his wooden chopsticks and made a few practice clicks with them to make sure he had his grip of them. He then glanced at the chef at work, seeing his team present the items to the hot surface, where his speedy hands started to slice up the meat slabs and whole vegetables into bites. Thinking of a similar hibachi grill back home, Musashi asked, "Maki have you been here enough times that the chefs know you or not yet? There's one I attend back home where my family are such regulars that the owner is an old friend now!"

“Oh! So I don’t have to get you any pajamas.” Good. One less thing to worry about. Maki split her wooden chopsticks apart, already anticipating sushi coming their way. “Hm? Oh, kind of? I’ve been here plenty of times, but I’m not in my own world very often anymore… The chef who used to cook my food all the time left for bigger and better things. Everyone else knows me, just not as well as the chef who left.” It’s sad, but oh well. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

A small, demure woman drifted past, delivering the white tuna sushi they ordered. “Mm. Looks yummy,” Maki declared, licking her lips in a way that’s, unintentionally, suggestive. “Do you have any spicy mayo?” It seems so, since only a minute later, she received a healthy amount of the stuff in a bowl.

“Excellent!” Maki stole a piece and, after dipping it in the sauce, ate it without so much as an ounce of hesitation. “I love this place.” Rice and vegetables were distributed between him, her, and the other customers, meat sizzling on the grill still. “I love just about any cuisine, but Japanese happens to be one of my favorites.” A shrug rolling through her shoulders, Maki leaned over to sip at his root beer. Threads of silver began sliding forward from behind the young woman’s shoulder… brushing against his arm, nearly falling into his lap as well. “So. Do I need to get you a spare toothbrush? Anything along those lines?” Maki decided to throw out there. Amber-golden eyes glanced up from this position, the smallest of smiles teasing her lips.

"Yeah; this little miracle pouch makes sure I'm always prepared and well equipped without needing a big truck!" Musashi confirmed. Learning that her chef friend had moved on, he lamented, "Ah..career callings often take us away, but it sounds like he's dong well now!" Seeing their appetizer arrive, the samurai took his first slice of white tuna, sliced raw over rice and took in a single bite, though he made sure to chew it well and savor it. Once finished, he shared, "They've got some fresh fish here for sure! And I'm feeling a bit less weary now!"

The crushing samurai felt the subtle tickle of Makine's long hair, causing his stomach to jump ever slightly. The touch was enough to draw his attention to her shining amber eyes, making him blush and smile. He assured the pretty girl, "I..ah..do have a toothbrush packed!"

Nearby, the table chef continued to show off his amazing dexterity with the slicing knives, quickly finalizing all of the meal portions for every diner at the table. Musashi continued to look into Maki's hypnotizing eyes until hearing the clink of a loaded plate of steak and produce flanking a bowl of rice touching his placemat. Chopsticks in hand, he took his first lovely taste, enjoying it tremendously. Once done, he agreed, "Mm..Japanese is one of my favorites too. Of course, it better be since I was raised on it!"

Maki laughed, shaking her head while relaxing back in her seat. “I’d certainly hope so!” Is it just her imagination, or is he blushing-? Nah. No way. Seeing as how they were… preoccupied with more important matters -like stuffing their faces-, conversation ebbed and flowed before trickling down to no more than a few words here and there. It wasn’t very long until Maki groaned, rubbing her belly. “Alright. I’m done. I can’t eat one more bite… well, unless it’s dessert, and I’ll probably regret it later if I order any, so…” A helpless little shrug rolled through the young woman’s shoulders, joined with a sheepish smile.

“Do you want dessert?” Maki dug into her pocket to pull out a dark blue wallet, decorated with purple swirls and silver sparkles to resemble a galaxy. “I know this really great ice cream place not too far from here… and… well, I kinda want to treat you, since you’ll be helping me out here soon. Besides. It’s been way too long since we’ve last gotten together.”

Paying for everything with a couple bills, Maki decided to push away from the table before she tries to eat more than she can handle. “Are you ready?” Maki started going through the motions of putting all the leftovers in a bag, since they’ll probably be leaving shortly.

With dinner delivered, Musashi briefly focused on the exciting bland of savory foods before him. He alternated, having slices of well seasoned steak, hot carrots, broccoli, and sprouts, and a little rice alongside them. He appreciated, "They do a nice one here..gives Chef Hanzou himself a little competition!" Mid meal, he downed the shot of sake that Maki had poured for him earlier, finding it went well with the Japanese steak. Once he finished everything served to him, he drank the last of the root beer, had a little water, then relaxed for a moment. He thought about looking into his pouch for some coins to help pay for food with, but withdrew when Makine put the bills forth. He smiled, "Oh, thanks very much for dinner Maki!" Though he knew he would have to return that favor at a later date.

The food-loving samurai's eyes lit up brightly at the mention of dessert and ice cream. He hopped out of the chair and held his hands aloft in hopes that Maki would hold them both as he beamed, "Oh I love ice cream! Yes I want dessert with you Maki!" He perkily looked to the pretty girl to show the way to the ice cream shop, feeling so special that she would treat him to a scoop and delighted that she wanted to spend more time together.

“You are just… a bottomless pit, aren’t you?” Maki tried to hide her smile behind a hand, only to end up laughing all over again. “I didn’t think you’d still be hungry!” Amber-gold sparkling like a pair of jewels, Maki stole a glance up at him before slipping her hands into his. “So, I’ve got an important question,” she spoke while they left the restaurant behind, “when do you want to start helping me with this other realm? I mean… I’m gonna let you stay the night at my place, since I’m sure you’re exhausted after traveling all this way… but… I don’t want to assume anything.” Not really sure what to say next, Maki decided it’d probably be better to leave it at that, or else she’s liable to start rambling on and on about it. It’s an occupational hazard. Maki tilted her head back and breathed in the cool, crisp refreshing night air… and, taking his arm, began leading the way to the ice cream shop she mentioned earlier.

It was cute, and quaint, nestled up against a grand old oak and a little ways away from everything else. “Here, let me just… dig out my wallet again. You don’t sit down here. I like to order a cup, and then go for a walk in the park… only, it’s getting late. We should probably reserve that for next time.” Maki stepped away so she can do just that, waving it back and forth. “Anyway. What would you like to have? One scoop? Two?”

Musashi laughed with Makine and blushed a little, "Ah..yeah that's me! I think it has something to do with the reasons for my super strength! Gave my dad some trouble growing up, but he got used to my fierce appetite, and conceded that I earned my feasts after hard days of training!" He felt a jittery beat in his chest and throughout his being when her hands joined with his. He took another glance at the amber sparkle in her eyes before refocusing on more serious matters.

"I could start helping you with the troubled world tomorrow! Unless you'd want a day to preapre, in which case the day after is fine with me!" Musashi volunteered. Hearing of the place Maki visited he wanted to see it in person and learn if he had the talents she would need to set things right there.

After a nice walk with Maki by his side holding onto his forearm, the sweet-toothing samurai saw the old fashioned looking ice cream window and various people hovering here and there with their desserts. He looked over at the grassy park she referenced and concurred, "Mm..I could go for a walk there next time! But for tonight..I'll take a 2-fer! Maybe one scoop mint chip and the other cookies n cream; I like all sorts of flavors but those are my usual go-tos! What flavors do you like, Maki?"

Two scoops, huh? If Musashi keeps this up, she’ll be broke in less than a month. Maki wants to treat him, though… especially since he’ll be helping her take care of things in another realm. “I gotcha. One big ol’ scoop of mint chip and one big ol’ scoop of cookies n’ cream, comin’ right up!” Nearly grinning from ear to ear, Maki rubbed her arms as a shiver went down her spine all of a sudden. Is it just her, or is it getting cold out-? Maybe it’s her imagination playing tricks again. It has a way of being overactive sometimes.

“Hm? Oh. Ah… I absolutely love mint chip,” Maki replied, a little distracted. For some reason… she gets the feeling that something’s about to go terribly, horribly wrong. “I like to throw in a scoop of strawberry, though… just to have a nice balance of chocolate and fruit. I don’t like to be overpowered with any one flavor, you know?”

Alright. It’s probably best she gets moving now, before she loses her damn mind. “I’ll be right back,” Maki reassured him with a playful wink, already twisting to go buy dessert. As much as she’d love to join him on having some ice cream… she’s only got enough left on hand to buy his waffle cone. This place only accepts cash. “Hi!” she chirped, stepping up to the elderly gentleman waiting just behind the counter. “I’d like to have a waffle cone with one scoop of mint chip, and one scoop of cookies n’ cream, please.”

"Ah glad you like it too! Thought it might go well after the dinner of steaks!" Musashi beamed. "And yea, do throw in a a third if you feel so inclined; I like all sorts of flavors!" he suggested on hearing there might be some strawberry too. With the plans confirmed, he gently palm-tapped her shoulder before she departed for the shop window. His eyes couldn't help but gaze at her as she stepped ahead, his eyes fixated on her dress's bouncy movements and the way the skirts fit so perfectly about her legs and rear.

"Ah thanks, Maki!" the delighted warrior blushed upon receiving the generously filled waffle cone. He noticed she had no strawberry scoop of her own and lamented, "Change of plan? I hope I'm not running your bank into the ground just by being here!" He immediately thought he would need to make it up to her somehow, both on their upcoming mission and with something tasty and fun at a later date. Still, he tasted his lovely ice cream, slowly letting the sweet cold refresher fill his mouth and throat. "Mm..I love this shop's ice cream! Thanks for bringing us here!" he appreciated. After his first couple of tastes, he offered the cone to Makine for her to have some of the ice cream as well, and to imply that they could take turns eating from it if she was okay with that, even asked if she wanted her own spoon.

“No problem,” Maki replied with a blush and a smile. As much as she’d like to pretend otherwise… she doesn’t garner much attention from men. In fact, it seems like they prefer the busty blondes, or the… sassy redheads. “Don’t worry about it. I want to treat you,” she went on to say, placing a hand on his arm. “I haven’t seen you in so long, I think we should just try to have a good time.” Maki gave him another smile, patting his bicep once, twice, before the fingers retreated. Amber-golden eyes watched while he dug into the tasty treat.

Strolling along, Maki buried her hands into her pockets. “It is really good. I’ve enjoyed a few cones over the years.” It usually depends on whether or not she has enough time to stop by… or if she’s in this world at all. It’s sad, but true. Maki’s life is in pieces because of her powers… because of her responsibilities. Hell, it’s surprising she’s managed to keep Harada and Tanaka in her life as long as she has. “Anyway,” Maki continued on a sigh, about to say something else… however, she didn’t expect him to offer her some of the ice cream. A small, shy smile pulling at her lips, Maki leaned over to take a bite. “Thanks. I’m good without a spoon. I doubt you’ve got many germs I need to worry about,” she teased, even sticking her tongue out at him.

((I actually tried a new local ice cream in my hometown just the other day!))

Musashi blushed back at Maki, so happy at her treating him that day. He then tried his best to pull a chameleon-like trick with his eyes, looking into Makine's with one but staying attentive to the ice cream with the other. "I'm sure having a great time, Maki! Seeing you was such a relief; I got worried as the days turned into years!" Hearing of her repeat visits to the sweet little creamery, the samurai suggested, "We'll definitely have to return here a few times!"

The crushing samurai chuckled a little on seeing the pretty girl's playful tongue gesture. His blush got a little brighter for a moment, so he took another nip of the ice cream to cool it off, then passed the cone again so Makine could take her next bite. "Ah..well..that's good!" he stammered. Seeing her tongue gave him a fluttery feeling in his stomach, but he refocused by joking, "Mm..I remember hearing about this one girl..she was an odd kind of germaphobe, but seemed to reserve her complaints for one alleged source." As the walk carried on a little further and they continued to share the delicious ice cream, Musashi eagerly asked, "Is your home coming up soon?"

((Ooh, really? What flavor?))

"I'm legitimately not surprised." Maki didn't hesitate to steal another bite of his ice cream, though she couldn't help noticing that he's blushing… not just again, but brightly. Is it something she said? A small tilt of her head had hair cascading over a shoulder, rippling in the moonlight as though it was silver fire. "It is," Maki replied, after a heartbeat of hesitation. “Actually, we’re almost there.” A hand gestured to their surroundings, to the beautiful brick buildings to the left and right.

Wild flowers climb up the walls, pink and purple and white and yellow. Each building has at least three stories, balconies jutting out here and there, draped in more flowers. “I live up there,” Maki told him, pointing to one that has a blue armchair tucked up against a small coffee table. “It’s the second story. Come on, it’s this way.” Maki took Musashi’s arm and led him up four steps towards a door leading inside. “I love this area. It’s right down the road from Tanaka’s bakery, and it’s quiet out here. It isn’t too far away from the city, either… just in case I want to go out and have some fun.” A little shrug rolling through her shoulders, Maki unlocked the iron gate barring entrance to the stairs.

((I ended up going for their crazy flavors: 1 scoop Rose, 1 scoop Lavender with chocolate chips))

Musashi took a moment to admire Maki's long shining hair in the moonlight, but soon looked ahead when she pointed out the lovely residential complex. He looked up and down the mighty structures, admiring how the colorful flowers looked pretty yet adorned a strong solid building. He momentarily thought of Makine at his side, thinking this was a great home for her since it was like her: both pretty and strong. Noticing the pretty girl's tug, he followed along with her quick walk, up the small set of steps to the main door. While she took to the gate, he observed, "This is a great location, in a quiet spot but not far from the exciting city or the heart-warming local bakery! I always love being able to visit both larger than life hotpots and cute little cafes!"

Thinking of his own home, Musashi realized, "Hmm..I guess my hometown has become a little bigger and more city-like ever since I've started trading with other worlds and bringing pieces of the more modern worlds back home! But we still have that small-town, local-market air though!"

((Ooh, I’ve heard of rose in a manga… I bet that was really refreshing! Lavender sounds like it’d be interesting, too.))

Maki had begun going up the stairs when he shared that little… tidbit of information, making her pause. “Just be careful doing such things,” she spoke up, albeit in a tone he has not heard from her just yet; low and serious. “The veil between worlds is thin enough… and you do not want to jeopardize one world encroaching upon another… I’m not saying it’ll happen, but it could…” Leaving it at that, Makine hurried up the last couple of steps to the second floor. “Anyway… I bet you’re super tired. I won’t keep you up too long, I promise.” Maki laughed a little under her breath, leading him four doors down on the left. “It’s not much, so…” A shrug rolling through her shoulders, Maki unlocked the door and let it swing open… gesturing he goes inside first. “Welcome to my humble abode.”

All the walls are painted a soft, soothing blue. Bookcases line two of the four walls, providing a place to keep Maki’s extensive collection. A sliding glass door offers not just a view of the street below, but a way to go out onto the balcony. Just beyond a caramel-colored couch and a cozy-looking armchair to match is a small kitchen, nestled in there. A hallway leads to what one can only assume to be the bathroom and bedroom.

“Take a seat wherever you like,” Maki told him, closing and locking the door behind them. “I’ll, ah… I’m going to get an extra blanket. I doubt my couch is big enough for you to sleep on… so…” A shrug rolling through her shoulders, Maki paused long enough to make sure he’s comfortable before heading off to do just that. “Do you want anything to drink? Coffee? Hot chocolate? I can make you some here in a few minutes… or, if you want to poke through my cabinets, you can go ahead and help yourself.”

Musashi noticed Maki's shift to seriousness, he himself became slightly quieter and he listened to her advisories. He agreed, "You're right..and I do try to keep anything I don't know about from joining me when I do switch worlds." Also wishing to move on, and still very excited to be reunited with his dear friend and keep learning more about the great woman she has become, he admitted with a little yawn, "Mm..it has been a long day..and I am thinking about this mission we're going to carry out. But I will say: you are the one I want fighting at my side for it!"

The curious samurai walked into the fine-looking apartment and looked around at the shelves and furnishings. He noticed the colorful collection of books, which appeared to be a combination of fiction-looking stories and informative tomes. Though he couldn't help but think that if Maki turned out to be real, who's to say some of the other books' heroes aren't also real? After a look around and the removal of his shoes, Musashi flopped onto the caramel-color couch and melted into it, finding its gravity keeping him from getting back up for the present moment.

"Oh..ah..sure I could drink something; maybe go for the cocoa since it has less caffeine?" the wiped out warrior suggested. He looked over to his gracious hostess, feeling welcomed by her hospitality and showing it in a warm smile. Feeling bold he double checked, "Oh and Maki, after a drink..did you still want me to sleep next to you? Or should I settle on the couch for now?"

“Hm? Oh, okay. Hot chocolate sounds perfect after having ice cream, doesn’t it?” Maki cracked open the hallway closet, pausing for a brief moment to look. It didn’t take long to locate the thin blanket she had in mind. “From what I understand, it’s going to be a cool night tonight, so I’m not going to give you anything thick to cover up with,” Maki threw out there as an explanation. “It’s not much, but… I know I hate getting hot at two o’clock in the morning. Bleh.” Maki wrinkled her nose, pulling out a red blanket from between a second set of sheets she keeps on hand -just in case anything happens.

After tossing it onto her bed, Maki walked back out to face him in the living room. “I don’t care if you sleep next to me. I just know that the couch is probably not going to work, since you’re super tall.” Maki decided to head into the kitchen next, to put on a pot of milk to warm up for hot chocolate. “Do you like marshmallows in yours?” Unfortunately, she has a sweet tooth… so… she already has a bag of marshmallows somewhere, she’ll just have to hunt it down. No big deal. Maki stretched up onto her tippy-toes to reach into a cabinet… only to find out that her fingers are just touching the bag. Uh oh.

“Um… Musa? Do you mind helping me out real quick? I can’t reach the marshmallows…” No offense, but she isn’t going to waste her magic on something so mundane. Maki loves her sweets, don’t get her wrong, only… it’s not like the world depends on that fluffy goodness. “I’d really appreciate it.” Maki turned around to lean against the counter, offering a sheepish smile. “I’m sorry…” In this new position, Maki's long legs are on display... not that she knows this.

Musashi agreed, "Yeah best not to over-blanket in the summer, especially if today's heat was any indication." He continued to look upon the books and decor about her small but beautiful home. He then gauged the couch and found that sleeping on it would do in a pinch and certainly beats roughing it in the woods but the invitation from Makine clearly sounded preferable. He looked up into her eyes, feeling lost for a moment. Then, when she turned to the kitchen, he briefly spied the way her dress twirled before climbing out of the sofa and joining her in the kitchen.

"Ah..sure I could go for a couple 'mallows in mine!" the samurai agreed, wishing to enhance the drink without overpowering it. He loved his sugar too, though he remembered that his father wasn't the type to bar any sweets from the house, but he certainly made the younger samurai earn it through workouts and labors. His thoughts of growing up soon zoomed back to the present when he saw Makine in an odd stretch showing a few inches of her sexy thighs off. He invisibly shivered with suppressed lust just thinking about the kind of hugs those legs could give to someone if she were to ever fall in love! He stammered for a moment then volunteered, "Ah..yes I'll get those!" and was just able to move the bag of soft puffy balls of gelatinous sugar into his gracious hostess's hands. He revealed, "A friend of mine calls marshmallows 'evil'. She wasn't amused when I gently passed her a stuffed Peeps toy; she whipped it back while grunting 'Don't you throw a Peep at me!' Guess it didn't matter that it was a stuffed toy and not even a real marshmallow!"

“Thank you!” Maki chirped, taking this opportunity to lean up and give him a kiss on the cheek. “I appreciate it.” Two seconds later, she had to fight to keep the smile on her face. Is he seriously talking about another girl? In front of her? Doesn’t he realize that’s sort of rude? Okay. Maki needs to act like it doesn’t bother her, and take a deep… deep breath, otherwise she’ll implode. “Huh. So… this girl thinks marshmallows are evil? Is there a reason why?” Or is she just that psycho? Biting her tongue, Maki began to sprinkle in a generous amount of sugar into the steaming milk, quickly followed with cocoa powder.

Of course hot chocolate can’t be good without chocolate chips. Maki dropped some in, using a whisk to stir those in. “Anyway. Do you have a problem with sleeping next to me?” she threw out there, if only to change the subject. “I mean… it’s not like we’re going to do anything. We’re both grown adults. Neither one of us happens to be a… horny teenager,” Maki continued, laughing a little under her breath. “Besides. It’d be good practice for when we’re… you know… in the other world. I doubt we’ll always be able to have separate beds.” It’s just food for thoughts. Maki added some vanilla extract before pouring the hot chocolate into a cup, offering it to him. “Here you go. Add as many marshmallows as you like.”

Feeling Maki's little kiss, Musashi blushed, then emitted a barely audible squeak as he felt a rush of excitement about affection fill him up. His hands trembled momentarily before regaining their fierce strength and enabling the affection-struck samurai to refocus on deciding what to add to his mug. Hearing her question he shrugged, "Maybe not literally evil; I think she likes sounding intense about things." Sensing from Makine's expressions that he might have sent the wrong message bringing his friend up, he diverted, "But enough about her! The cocoa smells great so far, and I think a little mallow would enhance it perfectly!" Indeed, while Erin was a good friend and always would be, she and Musashi had no romantic interest in each other.

Musashi struggled to keep his crush on Makine from showing, but a blush still came over him when the subject of sharing her bed returned. He offered, "Ah..no..no problem at all! And I promise not to do anything you don't explicitly consent to," then agreed, "yes..adults indeed..responsible too, yes?" The idea that it might even be a necessity on the go filled him with mixed thoughts as well. He certainly crushed on Maki as she was beautiful, kind, and talented, but he knew one must remember consent before contact and to use wisdom when showing affection. With the hot chocolate now ready, he placed a pair of marshmallows into it and slowly drank his first taste of it, taking time to savor it.

“Intense?” Uh huh. Okay. Sure. It doesn’t sound crazy at all! Maki didn’t say anything else, though, or else it’d sound like she was being mean about a friend of his she’s never met. Dark gold eyes glanced up after a little while. “You’re blushing,” Maki pointed out, even going so far as to poke him in the cheek. “Why’s that?” It’s not like anything’s going to happen between the sheets. Aren’t they just really good friends? It doesn’t change the fact he’s cute when he’s blushing pink. A hand went to rest lightly on his chest, right over his heart. “I bet you’re tired after traveling between realms. I know I usually am. How about I let you jump into the shower first? I need to get the bed ready, anyway… and I need to dig out something to wear to bed.”

It’d probably be a good idea to take a bath, too… but she’ll let him do that first. Hopefully he won’t use up all the hot water. Maki had a hand go through her hair, silver spilling in just about every direction. Draining the last of her fresh hot chocolate, Maki rinsed out the mug before leaving it in the sink. “My bathroom is the first door on the left,” she told him. “Everything you need should be in there: a towel, shampoo, conditioner… but you probably don’t want to smell like lavender… Oh! Right! You have your pouch.” Maki laughed a little. “I totally forgot. Anyway. I still have towels in there, but… if you need anything, let me know. Okay?” A hand rubbing down the length of his arm, Maki left him alone to disappear into her bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom