Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My Not So Imaginary Friend (Musashi X Frogger)

SuperSaiyanMusashi

Super-Earth
Musashi made his way down the slightly damp earthen path in the lush green forest. Though the mid-day had just started, light levels were reduced due to the overcast gray sky, which gave off the occasional drop of clean rain. Soon, the brave, curious samurai arrived upon his initial destination: a mighty castle kept in a wide clearing. Around the superstructure, many men and women were sparring against each other, showing off magic spells, or practicing other unusual talents. After taking a few curious glances, the blue-haired fencer continued his way inside, following signs for the library until finally arriving there.

Madam Fayya, Paper Mage and Librarian of the Kai Monastery sat at the front desk. She had long black hair, word in a single braid. Her tight-fitting green dress was accompanied by a pair of knee-high boots. Curiously, the novel she was reading floated on its own, and 2 origami birds hovered beside it, also flying on their own. As Musashi walked in, Fayya’s paper birds could be seen turning the page for her. Upon noticing she had company, Fayya looked up while her birds carried the book off to the side so she could greet, “Good Afternoon, can I help you find something?”

“Oh, not exactly,” Musashi curiously returned. “I heard you know a few things about books that show…unusual qualities,” he clarified.

“I’ve certainly discovered a few odd tomes in my time,” Fayya confirmed. “What’s special about yours?” she asked, figuring it fairly likely the youth found a strange book.

Musashi produced an impressive, hard-bound, omnibus-sized graphic novel. The cover, bearing the title ‘The Tales of Makine Azusagi’, portrayed a beautiful girl with very long purple and pink hair. Inside the pages, epic stories brought to life with vibrant illustrations told the many struggles and joys of the young lady featured on the cover. The art style and production value of the mighty tome stood in contrast to the technology level of the world Musashi first saw it in. “My father said he got it as a gift from his friend Jacques, who,” Musashi stopped briefly to warn Fayya about his tale, “I know it sounds crazy, but dad told me Jacques was from hundreds of years in the future.”

Fayya gave a strange look for a brief moment but softened her expression slightly upon remembering a few equally odd experiences of her own. “That would explain the strange art style,” she observed.

“I read it when I was little,” Musashi explained. “And I liked it a lot. I kept wondering what Makine would be like to meet for real!” he recalled.

“Ah yes, we all wonder that sometimes, don’t we?” Fayya related.

“Indeed,” Musashi verified. “I mean, I had a few friends growing up. I played with my cousin Yousuke all the time! Playing with other boys was fun and all, but I couldn’t help but wonder what having a girl as a friend would be like,” he recalled. “And here’s the thing: I got my wish like you wouldn’t believe!”

“Oh?” Fayya reacted, her curiosity showing.

"So a few days later, I was left to my own for a little while," the story-telling samurai began. "I went outside to practice my strikes a little, but mid-course I dropped the sticks upon hearing a 'Hi'. I looked just slightly to the side and saw Makine herself standing there! Wearing the prettiest purple dress too. I wasn't sure if it was real, but she greeted me by name, like she had known me since always. I didn't argue; just asked if she wanted to play with me, to which she said, 'of course that's why I'm here!' So we explored around the fields and woods. Pretended like we were all sorts of crazy characters. She even had this weird machine that could play music so we could imagine being at a fancy ball."

"That's..amazing!" Fayya reacted, now thinking about the prospect of a book character popping in for a surprise visit. "So what happened to Makine?"

Continuing the story, Musashi recalled, "Around sunset she left; said good-bye with a smile, blew a little kiss and then just kept walking. When dad got back, I told him all about how Makine came and played with me all day. He thought I was being crazy; said it was probably a girl from the town playing a joke. Well if it was, it was one masterful joke: A dress like hers would have been very hard to make with the materials in our village. No one else saw her, or saw anyone else go to my father's house that day, or found any evidence like hairs from a lavender wig or spare clothes."

"Hmm..a little unnerving, but hey you had fun, right?" Fayya followed along.

"That I did!" Musashi agreed. "I didn't hear from her for awhile, but then a few days after re-reading the book, I got sick and had to stay in bed for a while. Waking up from a nap, I suddenly saw her sitting in a chair in my room. She came over to me with a wet washcloth to rest on my forehead, then proceeded to pour some hot tea and add a drop of honey to it before insisting I drink it. From there she did most of the talking, telling me about the places she had gone. Later, I dozed off again, just after she left with an affectionate hand-touch. I told dad she came back, and again, he figured I was dreaming, had a vivid imagination, was hallucinating from the illness and medicines; the usual dismissals. And yet: the washcloth remained and the tea-treatment worked wonders."

Taking the story in, Fayya, inquired, "This never happened with any other book characters; just Makine? And any time it did was shortly after you re-read her book?"

"Yes," Musashi confirmed. "It's lead me to believe this is no ordinary book," he theorized. "But the last time I saw Makine was several years ago. She hasn't come back after any recent re-reads. Maybe it's just because I'm grown up now, but she seemed to grow up with me over the course of the visits, so I don't think it's a 'Kids-only' thing." He then shared his concern with the wise librarian, "I think there's something happening with her, like maybe she's in trouble and needs my help. And now that I'm a trained samurai with a couple of developed super-powers I think I can do just that! If I could just get to her somehow!"

"So you've heard about my talents, then?" Fayya checked. "Yea, I discovered my ability to enter the worlds contained in books during one of my craziest adventures. Took a while but I learned how to control it, and extend the power to sending others as well." the green-eyed librarian explained. "But be warned; the worlds created in these pages can be crazy places with the weirdest customs and nasty dangers. I can pull you out of it, but not always right away," she advised.

"Oh that's okay: I have my warp whistle just in case," Musashi assured the mystical librarian.

"Well, okay, but remember that any traveling to other worlds carries a risk of getting stuck in them," Fayya finalized her warnings. "But I can see you need to do this. Are you fully ready?" she checked.

"I am, Miss Fayya," Musashi confirmed. "Please send me there!" he requested.

They opened 'The Tales of Makine Azusagi" atop the hard-wooden counter. Fayya held Musashi's hand while placing her other atop the book with eyes closed. Musashi read the text on the pages and admired the amazing artwork intently until he felt a lightheaded rush come over him. He could feel himself barreling through a tunnel of light until it suddenly gave way to a stone-paved square in an opulent modern-looking city with a few elegant, Victorian-esque decorations. Standing up, he saw the legendary, possibly magically-inclined girl sitting near the fountain. She now looked fully grown, like a beautiful woman, accentuated by her purple and white dress bearing heart-shaped decorations. Her hair was long and colorful like always. Musashi, barely believing his eyes, quietly greeted, "Ma..Makine?"

Dark, depressing grey blocks out the sun, darker clouds rolling in with the promise of rain to come. Noise presses in on all sides. Men and women alike walk past, either glued to their devices or engaged in conversation. At this hour, cars are bumper to bumper, drivers waiting impatiently behind steering wheels for a light to change green. Makine stretched her hands high above her head, back arching while she kept an eye open to study her surroundings. Silvery-white rippled down the length of the young woman’s spine, curling just so far below her hips, though a wayward breeze threatened to loosen the black ribbons she uses to restrain her hair back and out of the way.

The past several years, Makine has used her powers to help rebuild worlds crumbling and falling apart under corruptive influences. It hasn’t always been easy… hence, largely the reason why she hasn’t visited the friend she’s made in another realm in a very, very long time. Well… one of many reasons. It seems she is incapable of visiting his world again… though she has no idea why. Every time she tries, it is as though she hits a wall. Makine has attempted to see Musashi… over, and over, and over again, but to no avail. If she didn’t know any better, she’d say that someone -or something- is blocking her access.

Left without any options, Makine decided it was best not to linger in the past, and instead look to the future. Why drown in the waters of loneliness, when one can bask in a sense of adventure?

Needless to say… she spends more time in other realms than she does her own. To interfere without going against the laws of physics proves to be challenging, so, usually, she’s having to concoct solutions to problems most young ladies wouldn’t choose to bother with.

Makine began to stroll past several people on their way to work, supposedly, eyes drawn to a cluster of birds flying overhead. Tall buildings reeking of money melted away before too long, giving way to smaller, more quaint businesses and homes clustered outside the city. It wasn’t long until her nose was teased with the scents of wild honeysuckle and lavender, of freshly baked bread and delicious pastries. It is here that magic hums and thrives, like an electric current. Makine can sense it in the air, smell it with every breath, so sweet and intoxicating. Most people have no idea it even exists, but a select few know, and fewer still know how to… harness it. In fact, Makine wouldn’t know herself… but of course, destiny plays a big role in altering reality as someone knows it.

“Good morning!” Amber-golden eyes are drawn to the left, to a cozy little shop nestled between two ancient oaks. Painted a warm, spring green, the bakery is comforting, welcoming, even with the windows thrown open to infect the square with the scent of flour, sugar and other things that make the mouth water. A young woman is hanging out of one with a smile spread from ear to ear, her red hair bright as flames even though coerced into an elaborate bun.

Five foot seven and totally gorgeous, it’s easy to miss the pair of pointy ears if someone doesn’t know what to look for… especially with all the curves she’s got hiding under the modest green dress she’s probably made herself.

“Hey, there,” Makine greeted, lifting a hand while heading over that way. “How are you?”

“Wonderful,” Tanaka chirped, resting both elbows on the window sill. “Do you want to come in? I have a fresh batch of pumpkin scones cooling, if you’re interested… I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever, and I’d love to catch up. Knowing you, I’m sure you’ve been on some wild adventures since the last time we’ve bumped into each other.”

“You’re not wrong.” Makine scratched the back of her head, unable to keep the sheepish smile off her face.

Actually, how long has it been now-? Makine was just in another realm not too terribly long ago, but time has a way of… moving differently. A week here can be a week in some other alternate dimension, or… it could be a month, a year, any of the above. It is so easy to lose track of time, to lose track of things. A hand now rubbing the sore muscles residing in her neck, Makine stopped before stepping on a patch of perky pink tulips, “I’d love to come in,” she decided on a whim… no, on intuition. For some reason, she’s compelled to stay. “Do you have any extra… ah… icing to drizzle on-?” As sad as it is to confess, Makine is addicted to pumpkin scones… though, only to the recipe followed here, the scones baked at this one shop.

"Perfect!" Tanaka's smile could melt the ice off anybody's shoulder, and if that wasn't a sign of how over the moon she was, the clapping had to be. "Let me unlock the front door real quick."

It was nice to sit down and chat, to pretend that she’s just as ordinary as the next teenage girl. Makine can’t really remember the last time she managed to take time out of her day and… enjoyed a piping cup of tea, exchanged stories with a good friend. It’s one thing to go out of her way to do what needs to be done, but… it’s something else entirely to do something she wants to do. Laughter filled the air, sweet and carefree. “Hush, I didn’t know any better,” Makine defended herself at one point, even though she couldn’t exactly offer much more than that. “You would’ve done the same thing if you were in my position!”

"Excuse me? No!" Tanaka laughed, tears sparkling in the corners of her eyes and threatening to spill. "Absolutely not!"

It goes without saying that they’ve known each other for a long time. A bit of banter back and forth, and it was as though nothing disrupted their friendship… not even the cruelty of destiny. Makine enjoyed every single little moment, because… she never knows which one will be their last together. Golden light shone at her fingertips while she knelt next a small patch of suffering carrots that have seen better days. It rained down like… fairy dust, or something just as whimsical, and within seconds, grayish-green brightened to a vibrant, healthy green. "There we go." Makine placed her hands on her knees before rising, stretching her arms high above her head in a long, languid way. A few rays of sunshine rippled over silver, casted shadows along delicate, refined features. "Well… I'd love to stick around longer, but I'm pretty sure you have things to do. I'll try to stop by again, okay?" Amber located emerald green, and not surprisingly… there is a note of resignation and skepticism within, not unlike buried treasure waiting to be dug up.

"Don't worry," Makine was quick to reassure, taking her friend's hands into her own. "I'll see you soon. I promise. I won't let the next time we see each other months, or years from now."

"You better not," Tanaka huffed, puffing out her cheeks and averting her gaze almost immediately. "Otherwise… I'll have to drag you back myself, and you will not care for my methods." Makine snickered, just shaking her head while taking a step back. "Why am I not surprised?" A few more words exchanged, and she left her friend to go about her day. If there's one thing she knows… it's that being a baker is challenging, not just physically but mentally, emotionally. It drains a person of everything he or she has. Makine tucked her arms behind her, eyes drawn to the way sunlight played with an oak's green leaves. At first glance, a hundred -no, a thousand- different shades decorate the branches, only… that isn't possible, is it? Eyes deceive and play tricks. Imagination has a huge role in such schemes, too… as does magic.

"I should probably do something useful myself," Makine realized, only to release a sigh… the likes of which she would've received a disapproving glare, provided Mother was here. Luckily the last time Makine's heard, Koizumi was off… exploring other realms, helping in whatever way she can. "I think I deserve a day off every so often." A smile spread ever so slowly, ear to ear, and with a delighted laugh, Makine rushed to stand before the grand fountain that has… been a part of so many memories growing up.

What now? Makine placed her hands on the cool, wet porcelain, letting her eyes dance over the dozens of coins children have thrown in over the years with a wish in their hearts.

A disturbance behind her had every muscle tensing in anticipation of a fight, and yet… she couldn't have anticipated hearing her name, not in a voice that's only vaguely familiar. It was deeper than how she remembered it, and… huskier, more mature, but there was no mistaking that voice.

Makine turned around to face the source, heart going ninety to nothing inside her chest.

"... How many times have I told you?" Musashi has definitely changed since she's last laid eyes on him. In fact, he's… pretty damn handsome. How did that happen? Makine had to take a moment and just… take it all in, because it was hard to believe that the same young boy she visited in another world has grown into… a warrior. Marching herself right over, Makine playfully flicked the tip of his nose. "It's Maki, remember? Ma-ki. Not Makine." Letting that sink in, Makine waited a second before giving him a big smile. "What are you doing here, Sashi?"

Last edited:
The blue-haired samurai blushed for a moment as he awkwardly stammered, "Oh..ah..yes, Maki..of course it is!" His eyes locked into hers, taking in her captivating beauty as he softly gazed. He soon realized and celebrated, "But..it's really you! I made it here!" Having missed her dearly, he affectionately hugged the pretty girl. He rather enjoyed the pleasant texture of her dress but tried not to palm it too much as he confessed, "I've missed you like crazy Maki!" Finishing the hug he stepped back and observed, "And wow..you're grown into one beautiful woman! And still wearing the prettiest dresses I see!"

Taking a perch at the fountain bench and hoping Maki would sit beside him, Musashi revealed, "I came looking for you. In the years since last time, I ended up on the weirdest adventure when I was whisked away from my father and aunt out of nowhere. I end up in the strange kingdom, where the princess says she needs me to fight an invading empire. With nothing else to do and no way home, I did just that. I was nearly fried, thrown into ravines, drowned, chopped, eaten and stomped a bunch of times, but I survived to knock out their war machines and put a more peaceful king on their throne. After that, I chased after a couple of thieves who tried to steal the kingdom's sword, and that chase led me to yet another world! I finally made it home when a friend I made provided me with a whistle that could summon a portal to any world I thought of. I got home to tell dad and Aunt Kaede that I was safe, but then set out trying to find your world. The whistle's whirlwind brought me a bunch of places but never here. But one of them was home to Fayya: she's a paper mage with the ability to enter books. I showed her the storybook about you, and she sent me here!"

Oh. Wow. Being pulled into an affectionate hug certainly has its benefits, especially when it gives a girl the opportunity to feel all the muscles that are hiding under his armor and clothes. Makine cleared her throat when she finally broke free, hoping he won't notice the fact she's blushing just the tiniest bit. "I, ah… I've missed you, too," she confessed, "and… thank you?" Makine laughed a little under her breath, still trying to process the fact she's seeing him after all these years. A hand lifting out of the old habit of brushing pieces of hair behind an ear, she moved to join Musashi on the fountain bench. It wasn't long until her expression was that of amazement, of wonder, eyes sparkling. "It sounds like you've been on quite an adventure," Makine shared after hearing his story, playfully bumping her shoulder against his. "I still can't believe you decided to look for me… I mean, weren't you tired of hopping from one world to another… to another?"

In any case, Makine's ecstatic to see him again. "I wouldn't even know where to begin my story," she shared, only being perfectly honest. "I've been pretty busy myself. I've jumped to several different realms now… stopping wars that will destroy the world, or helping cultivate when humanity has struggled. It's not easy." Makine swung her legs because of restless energy, unaware that in doing so, she reveals several inches of long, slender thighs. "Hey! Are you hungry?" Makine blurted out. "I bet you are, after traveling all this way." Jumping up to her feet, Makine pulled on his hands to get him to do the same. "Come on! I'll show you around! It's going to be fun!" Then again, Musashi won't exactly fit in with what he's wearing now… Makine's golden eyes studied the samurai, a finger tucked up against her chin and tapping lightly. "You're going to need a wardrobe change, though…" she murmured. "Do you mind if I-?" Lifting a hand, Makine wiggled fingers shining a soft blue.

Warm feelings filled Musashi's being. Hearing that Maki missed him too made him all the happier he found the way to her world. He addressed her question, "Well, not finding yours in all my journeys to these wild worlds was a little frustrating, but I actually started to take a liking to many of the worlds I ended up in. Like you, I had to fight evil forces, usually villains who got ahold of Oni and used their powers for greed and war. But any time I succeeded, I made great friends, discovered amazing technology and art, and got to see some remarkable cities!"

The samurai's eyes briefly moved down upon noticing Maki's lovely legs peek a little further out of her beautiful dress. He blushed a little, liking what he saw and suddenly wishing that some day those thighs would hug him lovingly. Getting his head back into their conversation, he moved his eyes to hers, perking up at her mention of food. The food-crazed gladly took her hands and stood up proudly as he confirmed, "Hungry? You're speaking my language Maki; I'd love to dine with you!" He walked beside her a short distance before noticing her offer to re-dress him. He curiously consented, "Oh..ah..sure. I mean, I should look my best since I'm taking a beautiful, intelligent woman to dinner, right?"

"I-I just thought it'd be best if you didn't stand out," Makine pointed out, trying to hide the fact she's flattered behind a laugh. Of course it didn't do anything to conceal the light pink blush spreading over pale features… so, more than likely, he already knows. "I hate to tell you this, but no one here carries a sword, or wears armor. I can always cast an illusion… but it will only be a temporary solution, and it will drain my energy." Makine tapped her chin again, amber eyes narrowing as she thought. "How about… I cast the spell, but tomorrow we go shopping for some clothes?"

The tips of her fingers glowing a soft, almost iridescent shade of blue, Makine began to wave the one hand over him. "I'll have you dress in something casual," she told the samurai at one point or another. It is a long and tedious process to reflect and refract light, to make his attire appear differently to others. "Do you have a preference as far as where we go for dinner tonight? Or should I pick the place?" Makine stepped back to study her handiwork, just to grin a minute later, pleased with herself. Musashi was very handsome in a pair of dark blue jeans, holding on tight to the young man's hips, and a plain green V-neck that brings out the color of his eyes. "Not bad," Makine spoke up, flashing him a bright smile. "Not bad at all. What do you think?" Makine conjured a mirror so he can see for himself what she'd done.

"Ah..yes, good point, Maki!" Musashi agreed. "An illusion to hide the swords would be helpful. Just in case there is something evil lurking in this world. To tell you the truth, one of the reasons I was so urgent to get here was that I was afraid you were in trouble, and that said trouble was the reason you haven't visited!" he revealed. He also agreed, "Sure we could go clothes shopping tomorrow!"

Once he was made to properly blend in, the curious samurai looked upon the jeans and green shirt as he assessed, "Mm..not a bad look for me! Well made, Maki!" He check himself out in the mirror, and, noticing the shirt showed just a hint of his strong pectoral muscles, he flexed his super strong arms, pointed the fists of his hands towards each other and attempted to impersonate Hulk Hogan as he grunted, "RRrr!"

"I can walk as far as you're willing to, Maki! And yes since you know this city you should pick the place!" Musashi consented. He then looked in her eyes for a moment with a slight blush, then looked to her hand. He held his own hand to her palm facing up as to invite her to hold his for the walk.

Makine blinked, surprise registering in those pretty eyes of hers. "I… I don't know what to say," she replied at great length, not only touched at his sincerity but flattered at his thoughtfulness. Not many men would've gone so far as to travel between worlds just to check up on an old friend. "I suppose 'thank you' will just have to suffice!" On a laugh, Makine spun on her heel to study the city she knows so well… if only to recover.

How did the little boy she used to visit in another realm grow into such a man-?! Yum-my. Makine had a hard time prying her eyes away… and hell, it's shocking she managed not to drool. "Hm…" A finger tapping her chin all over again, Makine began nibbling on her lip after a minute or two, unaware that putting it through such abuse made it darken to a rosy shade of red. "I'm not picky, but… I want you to enjoy whatever it is we end up having," she explained.

Burgers? Maybe. It isn't like this is a date or anything… outstanding. Hell, he'll probably be spending the night on her couch! No, no. It's only polite that she takes the couch… Makine cast that particular problem aside for now and, with a warm smile, accepted his proffered hand. "Come on," Makine encouraged with a gentle tug, leading him towards the bakery she left a handful of hours ago. "I'd like you to meet a good friend of mine before we go to dinner."

A surreal feeling filled the crushing samurai upon hearing how happy the pretty girl was that he sought her out so fiercely. His eyes remained fixed on her; he remembered her being a cute girl back when she visited, but now before him was a beautiful woman with a very pleasant personality! He assured her during dinner selection, "Oh I love all kinds of food choices! Whatever you bring me to I'll find a reason to love it!"

Musashi felt a little warm tingle as Makine took hold of his hand. He closed his hand about hers and stepped into her little tug to follow her lead. "Sure I'd love to meet your friends!" he agreed, then wondering if the friend in question was featured in his storybook. As they drew closer to the bakery in question, he looked around briefly, noticing a variety of small but elegant shops featuring artwork, music, books, and soon, the scents of sweets flowers and lavender herbs filled the air, blending wonderfully with the flour, sugar, and oils being used to produce many wonderful pastries and breads. He observed, "I can smell why anyone would love walking around here!"

Makine glanced at him over her shoulder, a cool, refreshing breeze playing with several pieces of silvery-white and making the strands plaster against the curve of a cheek. "I grew up here," she decided to share right then. "If I wasn't off in another world… I was in this courtyard, playing with my friends, or studying with Mother." Most witches grow up without a father figure… and Makine was no exception to this unwritten rule. It seems most mortal men panic once the truth is known about his girlfriend, his lover, his wife.

"It's one of my favorite places to be." The familiar scent of baked apples and cherries, rhubarb and strawberries teasing her nose, Makine breathed it in deep as they approached. Every single window was thrown open, and inside, Tanaka was speaking with an older gentleman, at least forty with silver decorating his temples. Bright green eyes happened to notice their presence. "Two visits in one day?" Tanaka teased. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"How'd you like to meet a friend of mine?" Makine shot back, grinning from ear to ear.

Tanaka sent him a curious look his way. "Sure, I would love to. Do you care to give me a few minutes? I need to finish up with this customer, but then I should be free. I was already planning on closing the bakery early, as it is. Harada is in the back, if you'd like to visit him."

"Oh! Ah, okay." Hopefully this won't be awkward. How long has it been since they've last seen each other-? Makine's pretty sure it was at least a year or two ago when they broke things off…

A little breeze hit Musashi as well, he noticed it and found it to provide a pleasant refreshing feeling in the summer air. His attention shifted back to Makine so he could listen to her speak of the place they were passing through. "It does seem a nice place to play and have fun. I guess my equivalent was the yard behind my father's pagoda, where we played during your visits. I trained there for a lot of years, or sometimes just played around with my cousin or others from the town." Learning that it remained one of her favorite places to this day, he beamed, "I can see why!"

On arriving at the bakery, he noticed Tanaka, and assumed she was the friend Makine wanted to introduce. He briefly noticed the tall beautiful baker, but also saw that she had to tend to her customer for a few more minutes. He then kept following Makine while holding her hand, giving her hand a little squeeze in a show of affection just before he wondered who Harada was, though he assumed another friend of Makine's.

A glance back revealed not just affection lurking in the depths of golden-amber, but a warm smile. Makine tugged on his hand, making him take another step or two closer… and in doing so, had his body brushing hers in an intimate, sensual sort of way. Breasts pressed lightly into the harder planes of his chest, their hips clashing for just a heartbeat or two. "Come on," she told the young man who has jumped worlds to check up on her, a teasing note just barely audible. "You can meet Harada while Tanaka finishes up here. Don't worry; you'll like him." Who doesn't like Harada? Half the city wants to jump his bones, female and male. The other half? Hard to say.

The front is the bakery. In the back is a kitchen, large enough to fit five people comfortably, while upstairs is the living area. Along two walls fruits and herbs hang off hooks, obviously ingredients for new pastries. In front of the stove is a male, roughly a little older than Makine, with dark mahogany brown hair and a willowy build. "Rada!" Makine called, breaking free of Musashi's hold to embrace this new man tightly from behind. "I haven't seen you in ages! How are you??" A husky laugh was quick to follow. "Don't make me spill the tea," he scolded, setting the kettle aside so he can return the hug.

"I'm doing great. How about you?"

His smile was sinful, his eyes the same warm shade of green as his sister's.

Musashi reacted, "Oh!" upon noticing how Makine nimbly tugged him very close to the her to the point of their hips lightly touching. His heart jumped a little in light of his crushing on her. He blushed and felt a little momentary tingle before continuing to follow her holding hands. Refocusing on the present, he accepted, "Oh..ah..yeah I'm sure I will!"

He took a view of the kitchen within the bakery structure, examining the ingredients and the big metal mixing bowls and tall ovens used to produce the many offerings within.

After seeing Makine give her apparently familiar friend a back-glomp, Musashi walked over and introduced, "Harada was it? I'm Musashi; you're friends with Maki too?"

"Yes, I am." Harada barely spared the stranger a glance, intent on the task of pouring tea. "We've known each other for a long time. I remember when she was about eight or so, and she-"

"Don't you dare share that story," Makine threatened from across the room, "or else I'll tell your mom every little detail of what you did that one summer." The smile she wore was not just smug… it was downright victorious.

Harada's expression melted with horror. "You wouldn't.

"Oh, I totally would… and happily." Makine studied her nails innocently, as if she wasn't blackmailing a very close and very dear friend. "All I ask… is for your silence. It's a small price to pay, isn't it?"

"I swear," Harada huffed, only to shake his head two seconds later. "This is why you can't keep a boyfriend: because you're just devious. And conniving. And straight up evil."

Makine stuck her tongue out at him. "Isn't that why you love me?"

"Yes. No. I don't know anymore. Sit your butt down and drink your tea, or else I'll refuse to serve you any." Harada poured tea into four porcelain red cups, setting all these on a tray before taking it to the table set up against the wall. It had three chairs situated around it already. Makine took it upon herself to sit on the very edge of the table, one long leg crossing over the other while she accepted one piping hot cup. "I swear… he's so mean, don't you think?" Makine asked Musashi, lots of thigh exposed under purple and white silk.

Musashi, noticing Harada's lack of eye contact, at first just shrugged and returned to spreading his attention evenly between him and Makine. He listened to them threaten each other with apparently dirty secrets, then tried to remember if either of them were mentioned in her storybook, but assumed not as he did not remember seeing them. He noticed a wicked smile on Makine, then got to thinking she likely had a potential for devious things though was still on the side of good, right? Still, their dynamic implied some kind of history..he even wondered if they dated once, given Harada's mention of her not keeping any of her past boyfriends.

Seeing tea so generously offered, Musashi accepted, "Oh..ah..don't mind if I do!" He became curious of the cakes and items at the bakery upon sipping the tea a little, thinking they would likely go well together. His attention was then drawn to Makinem this time very solidly upon seeing her strong sexy legs being put on display, her pose seeming to naturally hike up the skirt of her dress, possibly intentionally. He stammered, "Ah..yea..I mean harping on childhood events to mock people is just rude!"

“Finally!” Makine set her cup aside to embrace her friend, giving the other two a playful scowl. “I have someone to defend my honor! Just like friends should!” After sticking her tongue out at Harada, Makine gave Musashi a friendly kiss on the cheek before pulling away. A hand trailed down the young samura’s chest… lingering for just a moment or two on a pectoral. “I’d defend you guys in a heartbeat, too…” Makine cradled the warm porcelain between her palms, blowing at the curls of steam billowing up in an attempt to cool the tea a little. “Some friends you are.” Harada rolled his eyes… all while Tanaka released an exasperated sigh, having just entered the conversation and the room.

Tanaka strolled over to the kettle, hanging her apron up on a hook before pouring herself a cup of tea. “Oh yes. You are so unloved,” she drolled, obviously not believing a single word that just came out of her mouth. Makine wrinkled her nose, and yet… she didn’t offer any sort of rebuttal. Harada smirked shortly after the fact, only to chuckle a little under his breath. “About time.”

“Hey! Rude!”

Isn’t friends supposed to be nice? Makine decided to slip off the table, instead standing there for a minute… that is, until she plopped down in Musashi’s lap. Tanaka settled down in the chair across from him, the very image of demure and polite.

Musashi observed Makine's taunt, slightly shrugging as he found the argument a little needless. His eyes suddenly zeroed in on the pretty violet-dressed girl. He felt an instant jump in bodily warmth and heartrate when her lips met his cheek. He looked deeply into her eyes as she touched his solid pectorals, appearing lost in fantasies of affection.

Noticing the exchange among the 3, Musashi gathered in his head that Makine was possibly the most dramatic of them, but still, being the new guy in town and not wanting to assume too much, he blushed a little at the way Tanaka and Harada scoffed before quietly worrying, "Oohhh boy.." He drank a little more of the exquisitely fine tea, but then rested his mug upon noticing where Maki had chosen to park her posterior. He blushed brightly, and could feel his whole body warm with excitement for affection. Yet he also knew that her friends were watching. He started to wonder what the appropriate action was. After all, she was clearly flirting with him, and since he liked her he knew he had to flirt back. Though distracted mildly by her silky skirts tickling his legs, he assessed that it was likely too soon and too public to touch her long lovely legs, so he hugged her above the hips at the slender part of her waist with both hands, rather enjoying the smooth texture of her dress when he did. He looked up and awkwardly greeted, "Ah..hi Maki!"

Amber-golden eyes met his from over a shoulder and, before his very eyes, pink dusted along the young woman’s porcelain skin. “Hi,” Makine replied, her voice huskier than normal. “Is something wrong?”

“I hate to tell you this, but I did not come back here to watch you two flirt,” Tanaka spoke up. “I believe introductions are in order.”

Makine broke free of the trance his affectionate gaze had cast over her, blushing shades darker until her friends' expectant expressions. "I thought I already did-?" A hand brushing her cheek out of nerves and old habit, Makine offered a sheepish smile. "This is… Musashi, a very good friend of mine. I'd visit him in his world every so often." Harada scrutinized him with a nearly indiscernible scowl, Tanaka more openly and with curiosity.

"Really? Is that right?" Tanaka cradled the cup between her palms, taking a sip of her tea in an attempt to gather her thoughts on this new… development. "It is nice to meet you. I have heard of you over the years." Of course Tanaka is, in no way, going to indulge any of the details shared with her… but she can still offer him a somewhat smug smile. Makine cleared her throat. “Anyway… Ah… we’re going to stop for dinner on the way back to my place… so… I guess we better not keep you…” A little sheepish, Makine jumped off his lap and twirled around to face him. “Are you sure there isn’t anything in particular you’d like to try? I’m really not picky.”

Hugging on to Makine from where she sat on his lap, Musashi looked up and awkwardly blushed, "Ah..no..nothing wrong at all, Maki!" He noticed the woman in green seemed less amused at Makine's playful actions, but he didn't want to spoil Maki's mood, so he waited a moment for her to identify him and tried to determine how much they had learned about him from her stories.

"It's a mystery we're still working on.." Musashi revealed. "My father's friend and partner in battle gave him this big colorful storybook, one that had Maki on the cover. It was all about her too! I read about her fighting evil forces with her magical gifts, fighting skills, and intuition for figuring out the bad guys! Then, she came and visited for me for real! Seemed like she could visit any time I read the book again!" he expanded. "Since then, I trained hard with my father and aunt to become the next family samurai, ended up being whisked away to a crazy world, where, on the way back home, I discovered it was possible to visit many different worlds just like Maki came to mine, so I used that knowledge to come here!"

Hoping to not weird out Tanaka and Harada any more than they already had that day, Musashi, finished with his tea, thanked his friendly hosts for it then got up after Makine did. He briefly stared as her pretty dress's skirts spun with her. He then looked into her eyes and pondered aloud, "Hmm..I like all kinds of things: Japanese hiachi steak, Indian rice and curry, Thai stir fry, southern American barbeque, and lots of other things too! Is this area known for any particular type of cooking?"

A brief exchange had the two parting ways with Harada and Tanaka… though it remains to be seen where they’ll be eating. Makine isn’t sure what she’s in the mood for… and from the sounds of it, Musashi isn’t going to be much help in that department. It didn’t help, either, that his gaze had a gentle heat just a little while ago… with just enough sizzle to make her stomach flip. Ugh! What is wrong with her??

He’s a very good friend… one of her best friends, actually. Makine used to love visiting him in his realm, playing games under the oaks and pines… reading books together. It’s not as though there’s any… romantic feelings hiding in friendly affection or anything, right? This is just… playful flirting. Yes, that’s it. There’s no reason to complicate things. “This area is known for having a variety of… well, just about anything and everything,” Makine shared on a soft, almost breathless laugh. “It’s a collage of cultures.” Amber-golden eyes drank in the sunset displaying such vibrant colors, mostly warm gold and orange with hints of pink and purple here and there. “I think I’m in the mood for Japanese Hibachi,” she decided right then, looking at him from over a shoulder again.

“What do you think?” Makine linked an arm through his, like she used to do in the past, smiling up at him brightly. “I wouldn’t mind treating myself to some sake,” she continued on another laugh, gently pulling him down the cobblestone pathway. “I haven’t had any in a long, long, long time… and I haven’t had a chance to relax with you in a long, long, long time.” Light played along silvery-white, making it appear molten. After a heartbeat or two, Makine dared to reach down to link her fingers through his. “So. You have to tell me EVERYTHING over dinner,” Makine determined. “Understand?”

Keeping his eyes on Maki, Musashi took his leave of the sweet little cafe. Once clear, his attention was entirely on her. He could feel his fierce appetite growing hungry while at the same time he craved more bonding time with his beautiful friend of many years. He listened to her speak of the wide variety of options present, making him hungry yet also making the choices even more difficult. He observed, "I do love places like that, where so many different ideas come together for a variety of fun places to visit!"

When Makine made her choice, Musashi perkily consented, "Japanese sounds great! Forgive me I end up comparing it to a favorite hibachi grill I have back home though!" He then felt his stomach and heart jitter as the pretty girl took hold of his arm. He kept up with her enthusiastic tugs as quick as he could, then acknowledged, "I guess it has been a really long time...since a lot of things.." His eyes popped open slightly upon noticing she was reach for his hand, and threading their fingers together. Recovering, he went along with her touch, flexing his own fingers so they rested atop her hand, and even gave a little hand squeeze in a subtle but clear show of affection. He then promised, "Ah..yes! Everything you want to know about my times in the ensuing years! Whatever you want to ask about I'll answer it all!" He then spied several kanji up on high building sign and guessed, "That must it over there!"

In traditional Japanese fashion, kanji letters are stark against a white sign, demurely and modestly advertising the restaurant. A beautiful shade of red is what most people notice first, the columns framing a set of double doors. “It is!” Maki was pleased to see that there wasn’t very many out this late… or fighting to get inside, because who wants to rub elbows with a bunch of strangers? Don’t get her wrong, she loves meeting new people… she just isn’t interested in doing that tonight. No, she intends to spend time with Musashi, not anybody else.

“Two?” Maki and Musashi were next led to their seats, set in front of a glossy black grill where, soon, dinner will be sizzling. Taking a seat front and center, Maki gestured that he hurry up and do the same. “Alright. So. You’re going to tell me every little detail, starting with: how’d you get involved in world jumping? I mean… it can get really complicated if you don’t know what you’re doing… and if you splice? Ouch.” Maki wrinkled her nose at the thought, shaking her head as a shiver went down her spine. “I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve accidentally left a foot behind in another world… and I could feel bugs crawling all over my toes.” Yuck. It was absolutely horrifying. Maki didn’t hesitate to order herself sake, along with a glass of water from the woman that approached her.

Excited and hungry, Musashi kept hold of Makine's hand for the walk to the restaurant until they arrived and he saw her quickly take her position at the hibachi table. He collected his bearings and sped to the spot next to her and took his perch. His eyes focused hard on hers, though he briefly shifted attention to the waitress so he could request a root beer to have with his forthcoming steak. With a drink on order, he returned his gaze to Maki's deep amber eyes, soon looking mildly disturbed at her mention of leaving a foot in another world and feeling the bad bugs envelop it. "Yick..bugs are bad enough..but..leaving a foot behind? I..ah..trust you got it back from the looks of things though?" he inquired, noticing she appeared to have no missing limbs.

Having been prompted for his story, Musashi recalled, "It started out of nowhere; I was training with my father and aunt when next thing I know, a princess used her magic to summon me to her kingdom. Apparently either I or the samurai that my father named me for was the subject of legend in her world, and since her spell brought me there, I was tasked with helping them fight back at an invading empire. I went to a bunch of wild places to get the items needed for the war, and eventually took on the Fuhrer, who had enlisted my mutated rival from back home. After that brutal battle, the princess and her family helped find that once-invasive empire a new leader, one who would encourage great trade between the 2 lands. Thinking I was done, I had nearly placed the kingdom's magic sword Lumina back in its holding stone, but then the old royal Steward, or so I thought, stopped me. He said he always wanted to try holding Lumina and taking a few practice swings, but was unable to remove it from the stone. I let him try it out, only to suddenly learn that he was actually a pair of reptilian thieves in disguise. I chased after them, winding up in this weird underground maze comprised of what looked like..plumbing pipes!" He continued, "I lost track of them, but lucky for me, I ran into a new friend, who also happened to be a princess, one with a band of talented friends too! She knew who the thieves were so we went to where they lived, but by then they had already sold the sword to another tyrant; this one a master weapon craftsman, who happens to himself be a robot. This 'Smithy' wanted to study Lumina and its command of Fire, Water, Wind, and Earthquakes so he could make a much larger version that could wield all of those powers on a catastrophic scale! We barely managed to destroy his giant replica in time to stop a planet-splitting disaster, then chased him into his own workshop where we knocked him out and got the real Lumina back. It was after that when I received a gift from them: a little magic whistle that could take me to almost any world I could think of by playing a little song!"

“Oh… wow…” It’s definitely a lot to process. Bits and pieces of his story keep… nibbling at her brain, but other than that? None of it stuck. How sad is that? Maki played with a few pieces of hair, even going so far as to tuck a few behind her ear while offering a sheepish little smile. “I can’t believe you’ve gone through all that…” she decided to start with, though she couldn’t resist the urge to twist around and face him… or place a hand on his thigh. “I just… I can barely wrap my head around it,” Maki continued on a breathless, yet husky laugh. “I’ve seen plenty of worlds… but… wow.” Another laugh bubbling up, Maki began shaking her head in awe… silvery-white swaying back and forth because of it. The faint scent of lavender subtly cut through the salivating meat sizzling on the other grills.

Amber eyes, with gold lurking just under the surface, met his. “You know what’s funny?” Maki threw out there, palm rubbing up and down his thigh absently. “I, ah… I might have to use you for your… heroics.” How is she gonna explain the fact she’s been hearing about a war brewing in another world? Magic can solve… so many problems, but it can’t solve everything. “I’m… traveling between worlds right now,” she said on a sigh, closing her eyes briefly. “The only reason I’m here is because I… seriously needed to sit out of the drama for a while. I’ll have to go back here pretty soon… but I’d love to have your help over there. I mean, if you’re interested.” Maki flashed him a cheeky smile this time around, only to look up as their waitress returned with beverages. “Thank you!” Pouring herself some sake, Maki gestured to him in a toast. “To old friends. Do you want one?”

Musashi nodded, "Yeah it is a bit much..and that's just where the whole world-jumping part started! I've been to some wild places since then, and I'd love to show them to you!" He then looked up, briefly watching Makine's long hair move prettily before his heart jumped a little at her hand on his leg. He looked up into her eyes with an awkward smile. He consented to her touches and wanted her to know it as best he could, though at the same time he wasn't quite ready to touch her quite as flirtatiously, though the desires to do so were clearly developing in the moment: he certainly found her legs attractive, and her beautiful dress certainly brought attention to them.

Feeling an arousing tingle from Maki's leg-petting, Musashi shivered for a moment, though he kept attentive to the lovely lady's needs. Once learning of her crisis at hand, he volunteered, "Yes..Maki yes I will help you with anything you need in the world you mentioned!" He then raised his soda glass and perkily agreed, "yes I absolutely do want one!" He briefly looked up and around to see if was this same hard-working waitress who would take dinner orders, or if the table chef was the one to ask what they would have.

Back
Top Bottom