Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Worth more than a thousand words (for Kevinn and Blurugirl)

"Hey, Mom, would it be okay if Kevin came over for lunch, and to watch a movie?" Mara asked.

The Jenkins family was gathered around the table for Saturday morning breakfast, though Mara and her mother seemed to be the only ones paying attention to the other members of the family. Mara's father had his nose deep in the newspaper, and her younger brother was wolfing down his breakfast as fast as he could.

"HeadingovertoRyansbebackbysupper," her little brother said as he grabbed the daypack and headed out the door.

"And I suppose you're heading to the golf course?" Mara's mother said as her father finished his coffee and kissed his wife on the lips.

"I'll swing by Ming Lo's for some take out on the way home," Mara's Dad informed her. Her mom nodded, somewhat mollified. Mara's Dad gave her a kiss on the top of her head, grabbed his golf clubs, and headed out.

"So what were you saying, Mara?" her mother asked.

"I was wondering if Kevin can come over for lunch and watch some television," Mara repeated.

"I don't know," her mother began. "I'm going to have to be gone this afternoon..."

Seeing her daughter's crestfallen look, she said, "Well, he did seem like a nice boy. Okay, he can come, but he has to stay downstairs all time, okay? No boys in your bedroom."

"Mom!" her daughter said, embarrassed at her Mom's implication by the restrictions she laid out.

Her Mom laughed. "And if you make something, clean up after yourself in the kitchen."

Mara nodded emphatically to the agreement, then headed toward her bedroom to shower and get ready, turning the ringer on her phone to its loudest, to make sure she heard Kevn when he called.

Come Saturday morning, Kevin asked his parents whether they would mind him going over to Mara's house for lunch and a movie. It took some convincing, his mother not quite fond of the idea of spending the day in a girl's house, right after their first date too. Eventually they gave in however and agreed to it.

Kevin dug through his breakfast and rushed back up to his room right afterwards. He prepared his clothes before taking a shower, wearing a pair of Jeans, a white t-shirt and a grey hoodie once he came out of it. There was still some time left after that before he had to leave so he called his friend, letting him know just how the date had gone and that he would be spending the day with her again.

With a great deal of excitement and a big grin on his face, Kevin said goodbye to his parents and walked off back to Mara's house where he'd left her the previous night. Before long he was there, knocking on her door once more, waiting for her answer.

Again, Mara did not understand the rule that a girl is supposed to make the boy wait. She had made sure that she looked very presentable, with a light blue short sleeve blouse and a knee length skirt that was a slightly darker blue. She was wearing white cross trainers and white calf socks, both of which looked brighter due to their contrast with her blouse and skirt.

"I made grilled cheese sandwiches, and warmed up some tomato bisque," she said, as she let him in. "I mean, if you like that."

Kevin gladly greeted Mara as she opened the door for him. "Oh that sounds great!" He replied, following the girl inside. From what he could tell she was just as eager as he was to have this date. "Your house is really nice Mara." As they walked over to the kitchen, he took in the different rooms in the house and family pictures.

"So where are your parents?" Kevin asked intrigued. He didn't think they would be alone for the afternoon and quite frankly wasn't sure what would make him more nervous, having her family around or being alone with her.

"Dad's playing golf, my little brother Roger is over at his friend Ryan's, and my Mom had to go to her office for something about an audit. Or something. But it's okay for you to be over here. We just have to stay downstairs," she added. "So why don't you take a seat at the table and I'll get the sandwiches?"

"Wow, everyone's so busy!" He laughed. "My parents are just home and will probably do some shopping later on." Kevin nodded and made his way over to the table as Mara went ahead to get the sandwiches. It was the first time someone made food especially for him. "Your family always so busy then?"

"I don't think we're that busy," Mara answered, setting the sandwiches and bowls of tomato bisque on the table. "Dad just likes to golf, and you know, people like to do stuff on the weekend. Kind of like I like maybe being able to do stuff with you on the weekend," Mara added, blushing at her self-perceived boldness.

"Oh." His face quickly turned a light shade of red. "That umm.. That makes sense." Kevin hadn't expected Marw to enjoy his company that much. "I'm really glad we're doing this too. You.. You're the best part of my weekend too." He said the words in a slightly higher tone, not because he was angry or felt like shouting, simply because he had to force them out due to his shy nature.

Once they were both sat at the table, Kevin took a bite of the sandwich Mara had prepared. His eyes lit up as he did, a second bite soon following after. "Wow! This is really nice Mara." He wore a big smile as he said the words before going in for a third bite. "Thank you!"

"Well, it's just grilled cheese," Mara said with a blush, "But it's like two different types of cheese, blended, you know?"

"And out family like has its own recipe for tomato bisque," Mara continued. "Mom makes a big batch of it, then jars it, so all we have to do is warm it up when we want some."

"Ohh. Well, it's really nice. Thanks Mara!" He repeated with a joyful tone as he enjoyed every bite of the sandwich.

"That's really cool. It's really nice too." He replied as he finally tried it, quite enjoying it. It seemed everything was better when he was with Mara. "So umm.. You said you wanted to watch a movie? Had any in mind?"

"We could see what's on TV, or download something online, or get a DVD, or something?" Mara replied. "Anyway, let me show you where the television is, and let you look at the remote and stuff, and you can decide what to watch, while I clean up."

Mara led Kevin into the family room, where the furniture was squared around the flatscreen on the wall.

"The remote's on the coffee table," Mara said, pointing to the device. "Sit anywhere you like," she added. "One of the chairs or, um, the couch." All of the furniture had the overstuffed, nice but mismatched style one would expect from a middle class family. "I, um, I'll be right back, after I clean up," Mara added as she headed back to the kitchen, leaving Kevin alone for the moment.

It seemed like she hadn't quite planned that far ahead which for some reason he found awfully cute but, then again, he found almost everything she did cute. He was certainly biased to say the very least. Kevin followed her into the living room where he soon found himself sitting down on the couch, remote in hand.

He was sitting on one side of the couch, scrolling through the channels when Mara left. He wondered where she would have preferred him sitting but ultimately just hoped she would accompany him on the couch. After scrolling through about half the channel list he was almost ready to give up on finding anything when she returned. "I've found this channel, not sure what's supposed to be starting now but it's a comedy movie channel. Not sure what else to look for really."

"That will be good," Mara said, a bottle of water in either hand. "I, um, can get snacks or whatever you want when you want something."

Mara stood there quietly, feeling awkward, before she forced herself to put the bottles of water on coasters on the coffee table, then sat on the sofa, in the middle of the couch, on the very edge, looking as if she might slide into the floor if someone shook the couch.

He shook hus head slightly. "Just water is fine. I umm.. I just want to.. Well, I was hoping..." He trailed off as she placed the water down on a couple coasters before taking a seat on the edge of the couch, looking sort of unsettled.

"I was hoping we could maybe.. Well.. Sit together. Maybe cuddle?" His face was bright red as he asked the question, almost as though he were asking on skme taboo subject. "If.. If you want to of course.."

"Oh, I..." Mara blushed, not sure what to do. She had liked his arm around her shoulders at the cinema, but she hadn't let herself think about a repeat. Hesitantly, she scooted back, then scooted over closer to him, letting herself lean against Kevin, though she was still stiff as a board.

Kevin wasn't quite sure what to do either. This was his first time with a girl. Just the idea of the two being close together seemed to be causing an odd rection in his crotch. Of course it wasn't something new, he had felt it before but never in this way.

Kevin leaned back on the couch, placing his arm around her like he had in the cinema but this time they were both even closer together. He blushed once again. "I umm. Are you comfortable? Does it feel alright?"

"Yeah, it's just, you know..." Mara said, not sure how to say she had never cuddled with a boy before. She forced herself to relax, and to slow down her breathing. "So what are we going to watch?"

Kevin didn't ask further questions. He tried to relax too although deep down his mind was racing and his heartbeat accelerated. "So I found this channel. Apparently there's a movie starting now, not quite sure whay the movie is though, it's a comedy. If you want to watch something else though.."

"No, no, that'll be fine," Mara said, wondering if Kevin had to repeat himself. It felt like a bass drum was banging in her ears. She took another deep breath, and tried to relax against Kevin.

The two lay against each other in silence as the movie started. The longer the silence went on, the more anxious Kevin became, thinking of something to say to the girl. He didn't want to sound stupid.

After a few minutes he finally spoke up. "So umm.. Have you.. Told anyone? About us I mean." Oh god, that sounded so dumb. She's going to think i'm an idiot now!

Mara almost jumped at the sound of Kevin's voice. She had been so wrapped up in the situation, she had forgotten that she was actually in the situation with someone else.

"My parents, of course," she began, "And I told a couple of people I was busy Friday, but uh, y'know, I haven't actually had a chance to talk or text anybody since last night. You?"

He nodded. "Yeah.. I told my parents too. And one friend. I had to tell him since he knew I'd asked you out. He doesn't know i'm here today though. I didn't really have time to tell him and kind of forgot with the excitement." He laughed shyly.

"I'm glad you asked me over though. Cuddling like this feels.. Nice." He smiled, his arm which was around her squeezing softly.

"Yeah," Mara replied, finding herself snuggling in closer to Kevin, as she found herself relaxing and getting into the movie. "It feels nice."

It wasn't really cold outside but cuddling with Mara like this made him feel a nice, comforting warmth inside. She felt cosy. "Good." He smiled, relaxing just as she had done.

It wouldn't be long before the movie was done, the young couple still alone in Mara' s house. He couldn't help but wonder when they would have a moment like this again. He really wanted to kiss her again but felt too shy to do it. What if her parents walked in as he did?

If Kevin's mind was going a mile a minute, Mara's was slowing to a crawl. She was finding herself relaxing and enjoying having Kevin's arm around her shoulders. In a lot of ways, it was like a warm blanket on a winter night. It was so comfortable it just made you relax and almost forget about it. Mara found herself giggling at some line in the movie without feeling self-conscious about it. She snuggled in against Kevin as she lost herself in the movie.

Back
Top Bottom