Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Role Play Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike it when a person's request thread looks articulate and thoughtful but when we actually start a game, the way they actual write is like they're still in middle school. Like, did they pay someone else to make their request thread for them so it looked more professional? It gives me certain expectations that they then don't meet and I just can't bring myself to continue. Luckily I'm getting more honest with how I feel so I don't just keep going along with a game that isn't going to challenge me to the level I would have hoped for.

I think once you have that friendship as well as creative chemistry in place you can come back from failure. With my long term RP partner we tend to have a few RP's going at once as well so if one does fizzle there are others to keep us busy. I also tend to be the main person who comes up with ideas which would normally piss me off but it works with her as she does come back with ideas based on my premises at least.
Reminds me - though in this case the ideas have more parity - of another partner I have where we struck up maybe 5 plays so far. 3 are abandoned, one's new from that period, and one's a reboot - the arrangement's working out pretty well.

No one shoe fits all in these things...

I dislike it when a person's request thread looks articulate and thoughtful but when we actually start a game, the way they actual write is like they're still in middle school. Like, did they pay someone else to make their request thread for them so it looked more professional? It gives me certain expectations that they then don't meet and I just can't bring myself to continue. Luckily I'm getting more honest with how I feel so I don't just keep going along with a game that isn't going to challenge me to the level I would have hoped for.

I hate that as well. I had one partner tell me they were an English Lit grad, I was really intimidated. The RP was about a younger woman who meets an older and established author. No matter what I wrote, how many cues I threw her way all I ever got back was a couple of lines if I was lucky. Same with people who say they want different/deep then respond in the opposite manner.

Reminds me - though in this case the ideas have more parity - of another partner I have where we struck up maybe 5 plays so far. 3 are abandoned, one's new from that period, and one's a reboot - the arrangement's working out pretty well.

No one shoe fits all in these things...

No, chemistry is weird and you can't predict anything. If you find someone you click with you just feel it's worth sticking with them whether it is always rosy or not.

Oh I hate that! I remember one time I fell for that trap, everything was so nice and organised yet when it came time to plan the role play I got hit with the 'well how would you want to do it?' and 'I think our kinks work pretty well so just choose what you want'. Then the inevitable disaster of a role play happened where their character was an actual ragdoll waiting for mine to ravage them...

This was the only time I ever flat out canceled an RP on someone without negotiating. He had a good setting for the story written, and we didn't need to discuss a ton except for me to plan my character. He was on his phone and said he was bad with auto correct. Once we started playing and the paragraphs started rolling in... I literally thought he'd had someone professionally edit his RT and world description. I kept hoping he was on his phone, but it never got better. After the second time I asked him to clarify what he intended because the jumble of words was indecipherable, I just said I couldn't engage with the story because of the errors.
#FalseAdvertising

I can actually be guilty of this to an extent myself. My writing tends to be a word soup riddled with poor word choice and a lot of insecurities that always hinder the post itself. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but then again, maybe not. When I can proofread something like an RT to a large extent and make it better (there's obvious incentive to do so), I end up constructing something that looks far more polished and concise than what I would usually be making.

In some of those cases you'll end up with someone who could actually proofread their pitch multiple times to make it excellent, while their posts are simply first drafts with a quick check, if that.

I put right in my initial post of my request threads what level I'm at and kind of what I'm expecting out of my partners so I'm damn genuine about what I'm bringing to the table, not just making the thread look pretty and having no substance behind it.

I put right in my initial post of my request threads what level I'm at and kind of what I'm expecting out of my partners so I'm damn genuine about what I'm bringing to the table, not just making the thread look pretty and having no substance behind it.

I like to put something like "Please do not post here, PM me if interested" anyone who posts their interest on the thread is someone I know who hasn't read it properly or doesn't care/comprehend. My RT's are fairly simple and short too so no excuse for missing it a wave of paragraphs it is usually right at the top of the bottom.

Like you I am also clear about what I want so when someone PM's me and I don't feel we are on the same wave length it doesn't last long.

I actually have quite a few pet peeves, while I can’t come up with them all right now. One comes to mind, that’s when the story gets turned around headed in a completely different direction then you intended, when you confront your rp partner about they apologize. Then when you decide to give it a second chance the exact same thing happens again, you try to explain to them that’s not what you wanted the storyline to go etc. I just recently realized that I like more plot then smut, that I like to develop the story before the sexual action happens. So my plot/smut ratio is 60/40, when people ask me to rp then disappear because they don’t like that I don’t have a messenger app or I post a starter then get dropped like a heavy sack of potatoes because my starter isn’t exactly what they want. If you don’t like my starter post tell me don’t drop me, then completely avoid me all together because your afraid you’ll hurt my feelings.

I’m a big girl, I can handle criticism. That one irks me the most I mean you discuss plot, get the characters planned out then after you make the starter post you end up in rp limbo or like I said get dropped like a heavy bag of potatoes. Don’t baby me.... if someone doesn’t like my style then I prefer them to tell me straight up.

I actually have quite a few pet peeves, while I can’t come up with them all right now. One comes to mind, that’s when the story gets turned around headed in a completely different direction then you intended, when you confront your rp partner about they apologize. Then when you decide to give it a second chance the exact same thing happens again, you try to explain to them that’s not what you wanted then to go etc. I just recently realized that I like more plot then smut, that I like to develop the story before the sexual action happens. So my plot/smut ratio is 60/40, when people ask me to rp then disappear because they don’t like that I don’t have a messenger app or I post a starter then get dropped like a heavy sack of potatoes because my starter isn’t exactly what they want. If you don’t like my starter post tell me don’t drop me, then completely avoid me all together because your afraid you’ll hurt my feelings.

I’m a big girl, I can handle criticism. That one irks me the most I mean you discuss plot, get the characters planned out then after you make the starter post you end up in rp limbo or like I said get dropped like a heavy bag of potatoes. Don’t baby me.... if someone doesn’t like my style then I prefer them to tell me straight up.

100% agree and this has happened to be a few times. When your partner either rushes to the smut or advances the plot so far in one post it is like God modding because your character hasn't had a chance to do anything let alone agree to finding themselves in the place that they now must be if I were to respond.

I'm also very upfront about what I like and when people get pissed off that I am being exactly what I advertised it makes me wonder what their thought process is.

My other Pet Peeve is when my partner doesn't leave me anything to bounce off. I always try and post in a way that my character is left with a hook if MC and YC are in a bar and don't know each other yet I might end off with "And it was then that he saw her near the pin ball machine. But could she see him?" simple example but it is something and better than ending off with MC and YC still being separate entities in the same place.

Wow I officially have a new pet peeve..... Someone pmed me to discuss plot, such then left the out of character conversation all together leaving with maybe next time. Basically that means I apparently turned them away, to be honest I really don’t care. But don’t message me about a plot, bow out before anything gets started. Thats just rude.... I usually straight up say yeah sorry not interested, move on but this conversation ugh it’s like okay whatever not hurting my feelings. Just don’t say maybe next time if you don’t even freaking mean it.

The obvious: folks that take control of characters or the story, folks that don't write much, and gjosting.

I haven't run into that yet, but I get the inverse a lot. I try to keep my RTs representative of my writing style and level, and I have public RP threads to back that up. Occasionally I'll get PMs in reply to my RTs where the grammar/spelling/construction implies a... More casual approach to RP than I'd prefer. I do my best to give folks a warning ("I think we may be looking for different styles of play") and a chance, but in all but one case I've either been disappointed, or ghosted on after writing an intro.

I think in those cases, it becomes a 'quantity over quality' thing and I get dazzled by having so much variety on offer that I don't realize there's no substance underneath.

Okay so another pet peeve of mine..... when someone leaves a conversation/rp without even warning you, in your opinion things are getting pretty good then you get ghosted/left behind. Of course you delete the conversation cause why keep it if you can’t reply to it etc.

Newest pet peeve..... When someone messages you about an rp, wants to develop the story as it moves which I’m fine with btw. But uses anime over real life, then expects you t post the exact same way they do. First off I’m good at para posting if given enough to work with but if my character is injured or unconscious they aren’t gonna be very aware of their surroundings because their in pain, secondly I rp my own way which has worked just fine for me. My muse is iffy at times, apparently that’s not an excuse ugh.....

When a partner wants to use images often and doesn't just automatically think to put them in spoiler tags. Whether they're safe for work or not, they take up a lot of space and are distracting so leaving it up to the partner to open them when they want should just be the default assumption of how to do it, IMO.

When a partner wants to use images often and doesn't just automatically think to put them in spoiler tags. Whether they're safe for work or not, they take up a lot of space and are distracting so leaving it up to the partner to open them when they want should just be the default assumption of how to do it, IMO.
I usually send pics in out of character chat, then if small enough use it as an intro. Or I link to the phot, say here or visa versa. Or if I gave a character journal they can see the image there.

That's a good approach, but I personally prefer them be in the form of a link that opens it up off-site or where I have the option to not have it automatically open even just in my inbox. If it's like an avatar-sized image, sure, but those aren't always easy to see so if it's too small that's a whole different issue.

I usually resize the images to 500x whatever so it’s not to large, in a thread is where I usually link the photo. Other wise I post the photo then use a description from there, all the photo does is give me a general mental image of what my characters look like.

When someone tries to put in a kink that you both agreed wasn't acceptable during the planning period.

When someone tries to put in a kink that you both agreed wasn't acceptable during the planning period.
That's the absolute worst.

I also get really annoyed when people suddenly spring new kinks on me in the middle of a story that weren't mentioned ahead of time at all and are the sorts of things one should bring up beforehand.

Newest pet peeve..... When someone messages you about an rp, wants to develop the story as it moves which I’m fine with btw. But uses anime over real life, then expects you t post the exact same way they do. First off I’m good at para posting if given enough to work with but if my character is injured or unconscious they aren’t gonna be very aware of their surroundings because their in pain, secondly I rp my own way which has worked just fine for me. My muse is iffy at times, apparently that’s not an excuse ugh.....

I totally get that one. I've done shorter term roleplays before where my character is meant to be surprised by a burglar breaking in. Their opener was them approaching the house. Okay, okay, I got this, I'll write a few paragraphs of a crazy dream sequence since you know, asleep...

Their next post, their character silently (specifically silently, that's what they wrote) sneaks in through a downstairs window.

Yeah, my guy is asleep still. The premise was being woken up by them in the room, whaddya want me to write here???

I have so many.

My biggest is when someone starts sending shorter and shorter replies until they're responding to my paragraphs with a single sentence. It's even worse when said person doesn't understand why you don't want to continue.

The worst I've experienced was when a partner was ignoring things I wrote, so even if her character was immobilized by mine she was still able to move. She then bitched at me for not putting in enough effort. I responded by telling her I'd put in effort if she actually responded to what I wrote. She then went on to post this whole long response where she was assuming my characters motivations, which were wildly inaccurate and cringey.

I also hate when a partner ghosts me and then a few weeks later asks me if I want to write with them. Like nothing ever happened. I've given a few of them a second chance and they did it again. You get one redo and even if you come to me with the perfect idea I want nothing to do with it. You've proven yourself unreliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom