Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Role Play Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

pechadur

뽀뽀
I apologise if this has been done before, however, I saw this on my other RP site and thought it was a fun exercise to do. As the title suggests, this is a thread to let loose your pet peeves when it comes to role playing, though with one twist:

No mentions of the dreaded 'Ghosting' or 'When people say they're going to respond but they end up ghosting despite me messaging them again two weeks later and they promised they'd respond and they still haven't even though I see them posting elsewhere!!'. I feel as though it has been mentioned time and time again, meaning we don't need to rehash it.

I'll start with one of my pet peeves:
This is particularly true with M/M role players: "I'll play a switch against your switch!".
That is a damn lie, don't believe it. I've been burned so many times with that line, as it often means they want to play a "switch" who is the most submissive bottom it puts Shirotani Tadaomi to shame. So, now I rarely try to find a MxM role play because it's not worth the hassle.

People saying "I totally understand if you can't post all the time" and then proceeding to message me the day after their intro is sent seeing when I can reply. Like, if my thread says a post per week is usual, that doesn't always mean the day after your post. ; - ;

People sneaking in kinks you don't like and expecting you to follow through with them. I've had a few RP's end when someone tries to be sly by sliding in a fetish of theirs that I don't share and i'm not willing to indulge them in.

People manipulating your character's reactions and actions. Write a story by yourself if you want to control the narrative so badly.

I'm going to be that annoying person and respond to all of these lol

@simpliicity holy hell that is the worst. "I understand, life comes first!" then "hey do you still want the rp?" twenty minutes after they post, haha.
@Saber Arturia that's a big yikes. Thankfully that hasn't happened for me, though despite listing the two things I would never allow in my rules, I'll still get a "hey do you want to do a [blank] rp?" in my inbox... some people, lol.
@Luathis I feel that. It should be 50/50, not 99.99/.01

I'm going to be that annoying person and respond to all of these lol

@simpliicity holy hell that is the worst. "I understand, life comes first!" then "hey do you still want the rp?" twenty minutes after they post, haha.
@Saber Arturia that's a big yikes. Thankfully that hasn't happened for me, though despite listing the two things I would never allow in my rules, I'll still get a "hey do you want to do a [blank] rp?" in my inbox... some people, lol.
@Luathis I feel that. It should be 50/50, not 99.99/.01

Basically as an example, I had been discussing an RP with someone on another site, and they graciously offered to start the RP. During the intro, they basically dropped a casual reference about our characters being blood related siblings, and that was something that had never come up during the RP discussion and if it did I would have vetoed it immediately since incest isn't really my thing. When I confronted them about it... Things did not end well.

Basically as an example, I had been discussing an RP with someone on another site, and they graciously offered to start the RP. During the intro, they basically dropped a casual reference about our characters being blood related siblings, and that was something that had never come up during the RP discussion and if it did I would have vetoed it immediately since incest isn't really my thing. When I confronted them about it... Things did not end well.

That is dreadful, and unfortunate. You have my sympathies. :(

I think the thing that bothers me most is when people don’t mesh with what they say they want or will do. For example they say they like blank, but then rush through that sort of thing. Especially if said thing is something you wanted too.

One sided plotting. Being the only one coming up with ideas or input for a plot.

People claiming to have read my RT and Kink list but asking to do a plot involving something definitely on my no list. Also, no sooner that I have put up a RT being asked if I want to roleplay only with no ideas, nothing behind it.

Tight posting schedule restrictions. I can't nor do I want to post everyday.

Saying that you want a story with romance to feel some what real and the other character tells your character they love you with in the first meeting. That's not love works.

Aka trying to get to the smut part without the story part when you say I WANT story.

I don't have too many, I have a pretty good group of partners these days, but one that I didn't even know I had till I came to BMR is this:

Even when writing succinctly, leaving in only the important details of my reply, I have had parts entirely ignored as if they didn't happen. I've never been called inconsiderate with the way I write, I'm always very conscious of kinks and limits, so this gets tremendously frustrating.

This is a pretty minor one that doesn't affect me too much but getting jebaited by titles and tags is a pet peeve of mine. Like when you look at the tag and it says 'M for any' or 'F for any', you open it and half way through the thread you realise it's actually 'M for any (playing f)'.

Not seen it in this forum yet but it's coming, I can feel it. Makes me think that they believe that because you opened the post you'll just play whatever they are looking for. 'I'm a switch' bait is a very real thing too.

I don't have too many, I have a pretty good group of partners these days, but one that I didn't even know I had till I came to BMR is this:

Even when writing succinctly, leaving in only the important details of my reply, I have had parts entirely ignored as if they didn't happen. I've never been called inconsiderate with the way I write, I'm always very conscious of kinks and limits, so this gets tremendously frustrating.

That can be annoying but, devil's advocate here, I have been replying to a post and gotten so into responding to one thing that another has just slipped my mind. I do like to go back over both my own post and the one I'm responding to in order to minimise this but things do slip through the cracks. Can't speak for others but if my partner simply pointed it out I could apologise, rewrite or edit, and we can move on.

Which is another pet peeve! If I've done something you don't enjoy or missed something just tell me! I like to think I'm reasonable, don't let it slowly piss you off more and more with each post!

Hmm I'm usually pretty flexible but I don't like it when people try to force outcomes in spite of rules that are set. It's not as much of an issue in freeform but I recently had a systems game where I learned a new system, made four characters for a story, and then the GM was trying to force outcomes in spite of the rolls. Learning a new system is a lot of work and creating/playing that many characters isn't easy. They were really uncooperative about fixing errors they admitted they made and it just seemed like that was going to be the norm for the rest of the game, like trying to turn minor victories I rolled into total defeats for my party. It's a shame since I think we lined up really well on some unusual kinks we both had.

Many moons ago, on a completely different site, I was playing a male character and he and this female character were just starting a relationship and they had slept together via the course of roleplay. No where in discussions had there been talk of pregnancy or anything like that.

Now, of note, I do not have a problem with pregnancy in my stories (whether I’m playing the male or the female). Nor do I have a problem with time jumps. But the person playing the female character, just the day after the characters had slept together suddenly comes up pregnant....at least a month along. Just out of fucking no where.

I lost my shit. It takes ALOT.....alot alot! To rattle my cage to that extent but boy did the girl rattle it and damned near broke off the hinges in fact because not only did she do that but when I approached the player about it, kindly at first....she acted like it was no big deal. I put a stop to the rp and told her it was over.

To rub salt in the wound so to speak, I proceeded to then watch her continue to play her character, pregnant still, with another player in the room and completely shit on my character, saying he fucked her, got her pregnant and left and was a bad person and so on.

I hate that kind of shit too. I’ve personally experienced that actual situation and would never portrait any of my male characters to be that low of an asshole. So.....I was pretty pissed about it all the way around but I bit my tongue because I also was t going to tell her how to play her character whether I was still playing against her or not.

It soured me for a while on playing male characters though. Which I did quite often back in the day.

What really gets me is when a partner assumes what your character will do and puts it in their post.
It's happened a couple times and it just doesn't do well with me.

God modding is awful. They should just write their own story at that point.

I feel like with how long i've been RPing...I shouldn't have to see it anymore! But on occassion you find a partner who likes to add in a detail or two with how they would like things to happen. It's just like....you couldn't have I dunno...OOC'd me first and asked? If its something spoken about ahead of time. I don't mind, but usually it's a no-go for me.

I feel like with how long i've been RPing...I shouldn't have to see it anymore! But on occassion you find a partner who likes to add in a detail or two with how they would like things to happen. It's just like....you couldn't have I dunno...OOC'd me first and asked? If its something spoken about ahead of time. I don't mind, but usually it's a no-go for me.
Yeah, that's the common courtesy, haha. Just a quick "hey, would it be cool if...?" is a lot better than going ahead and controlling another character. It is baffling how many times you'll see it, especially when you're on a site that has people who've been doing it for more than five years.

Many moons ago, on a completely different site, I was playing a male character and he and this female character were just starting a relationship and they had slept together via the course of roleplay. No where in discussions had there been talk of pregnancy or anything like that.

Now, of note, I do not have a problem with pregnancy in my stories (whether I’m playing the male or the female). Nor do I have a problem with time jumps. But the person playing the female character, just the day after the characters had slept together suddenly comes up pregnant....at least a month along. Just out of fucking no where.

I lost my shit. It takes ALOT.....alot alot! To rattle my cage to that extent but boy did the girl rattle it and damned near broke off the hinges in fact because not only did she do that but when I approached the player about it, kindly at first....she acted like it was no big deal. I put a stop to the rp and told her it was over.

To rub salt in the wound so to speak, I proceeded to then watch her continue to play her character, pregnant still, with another player in the room and completely shit on my character, saying he fucked her, got her pregnant and left and was a bad person and so on.

I hate that kind of shit too. I’ve personally experienced that actual situation and would never portrait any of my male characters to be that low of an asshole. So.....I was pretty pissed about it all the way around but I bit my tongue because I also was t going to tell her how to play her character whether I was still playing against her or not.

It soured me for a while on playing male characters though. Which I did quite often back in the day.

That's a pretty high level of fuckery right there, I don't know how you managed not to lose your shit. Could you not have messaged a moderator to close the room? The way I see it, if myself and a partner end our rp and they ask to continue it with another, that's fine, but if they just decide it's okay I have a right to demand they fuck off and go start a new one elsewhere. Seems like a violation to me, I'm just not sure how to categorise it.

I'm genuinely pissed off for you, even more than I was before writing this. You're a better person than I am for letting it go.

That's a pretty high level of fuckery right there, I don't know how you managed not to lose your shit. Could you not have messaged a moderator to close the room? The way I see it, if myself and a partner end our rp and they ask to continue it with another, that's fine, but if they just decide it's okay I have a right to demand they fuck off and go start a new one elsewhere. Seems like a violation to me, I'm just not sure how to categorise it.

I'm genuinely pissed off for you, even more than I was before writing this. You're a better person than I am for letting it go.

In that chat room, there wasn’t really much in the way of moderation, unfortunately. There were however other chat rooms that I moved to. And the other chick stayed where she was, so I didn’t have to worry about her any more. I did hear through the grapevine though that she’d upset more than just my applecart and most others started steering clear of her. Karma took her vengeance and I think eventually the girl just left the chathouse all together.

So did I eventually and eventually got back into playing male characters. Then eventually I moved on to forum roleplay and found I enjoy it probably way more than I ever could have enjoyed room play.

So it all worked out. I just make sure to thoroughly discuss things with my partners and ask that they discuss things they’d like to do during the course of a story with me before implementing it. I’ve had no problems since then, thankfully. I’m pretty sure I’d lose my shit again, pretty explosively, though if it happened again, as we are all adults now and most definitely should know better.

What really gets me is when a partner assumes what your character will do and puts it in their post.
It's happened a couple times and it just doesn't do well with me.
See, I am almost the opposite, While there are some forms of godmodding I don't approve of, there have been times when the other player won't move the story forward that drive me up the wall. If our characters are in a long term sexual relationship, have already said "I love you" and MC is current sucking YC off, you don't have to ask MC to transition to the next sex act. Just take some fucking intiative and move the plot forward. When I always have to be the writer transitioning the story from scene to scene, I get easily annoyed, and get the urge to drop the rp.

That said, I understand getting annoyed if the other player dictates thoughts, feeling or reactions for MC. But in most cases I'd rather move the plot along than micromanage every action my character takes.

I had a recent exchange with someone who was looking to play. I could summarize it, but I feel like it’s best to give an overview of the conversation.

Them: “I’m looking for this story with X as a prominent element.”
Me: “Sorry, but I don’t play X in stories. I’ve tried and I don’t enjoy it.”
T: “Here are more details on that plot with X still in there. How does that sound.”
M: “I already said I don’t play X.”
T: “Well I wouldn’t enjoy the story if X wasn’t in there. So what will it take to get you to do X?”
M: “I’m sorry, but I don’t think we’ll be playing together.”

People who advance the RP so far in one post that it's like Godmodding.
People who want to RP but offer nothing communication wise. Just being keen and saying "let's do it" isn't inspiring.
People who take your idea and change it to the point that it no longer resembles your idea at all.
No ideas in a RT but lots of rules and regulations, the "Riot Act" thread as I like to call it.

Just writing smut, I even had one person just write "And the teacher set up the class and did all the things she had to do..." and then skipped straight to the smut. The setting the scene was part of the fun!

People who advance the RP so far in one post that it's like Godmodding.
People who take your idea and change it to the point that it no longer resembles your idea at all.

That's always frustrating. It isn't really any fun when people end the game just as it's beginning. Lots of arbitrary edits after planning kind of ruins it as well. I've only really seen that with control freaks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom