Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Role Play Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so many.

My biggest is when someone starts sending shorter and shorter replies until they're responding to my paragraphs with a single sentence. It's even worse when said person doesn't understand why you don't want to continue.

I hate that sometimes they start stalking you too, responding in the RP thread "Is everything all right?" then that becomes "Hello?? Are we still playing" ummm no we're not, take a hint!

I hate that sometimes they start stalking you too, responding in the RP thread "Is everything all right?" then that becomes "Hello?? Are we still playing" ummm no we're not, take a hint!
I think it's just polite to send a quick message saying that you're not interested. No one likes to be ghosted

Yeah... I'm gonna agree with @bodman54
You're on the wrong side of the communication problem. Be decent and tell them you're done. How many people in this thread have complained about ghosting?

I think it's just polite to send a quick message saying that you're not interested. No one likes to be ghosted

Unfortunately due to many bad experiences on sites like this where people have gone crying to their moderator/admin buddies and other clique related issues I have very little confidence in being so direct.

I think I have written it before somewhere on here that I believe that is the main cause for ghosting. People trying to avoid politics and escalation of issues in general.

Not to mention the RP I was engaged in where everything that was playing out was exactly what was discussed. Then my partner starts posting and at first I feel like her character is arguing with mine but then I realize she is arguing with me in the RP thread.

Next thing I know all her posts are deleted and I am getting warnings from the moderators. For what? Well, I have upset their friend for playing out exactly what was discussed. Then I get banned.

Unfortunately due to many bad experiences on sites like this where people have gone crying to their moderator/admin buddies and other clique related issues I have very little confidence in being so direct.

I think I have written it before somewhere on here that I believe that is the main cause for ghosting. People trying to avoid politics and escalation of issues in general.

Not to mention the RP I was engaged in where everything that was playing out was exactly what was discussed. Then my partner starts posting and at first I feel like her character is arguing with mine but then I realize she is arguing with me in the RP thread.

Next thing I know all her posts are deleted and I am getting warnings from the moderators. For what? Well, I have upset their friend for playing out exactly what was discussed. Then I get banned.
Sounds like there was more going on then just wanting to end it. But I can't tell you how to run your roleplays. I just know I'd appreciate a message if my partners wanted to end early.

When an rper tries to push an alteration to your original idea on you, you try to be polite about telling them your not interested.

Sounds like there was more going on then just wanting to end it. But I can't tell you how to run your roleplays. I just know I'd appreciate a message if my partners wanted to end early.

She was quite nuts in the way she went about it all so yeah I would agree that there was a lot more going on. I actually didn't ghost her, she ended the RP but it is an example of a situation where it would have been far better off if she just ghosted me.

My biggest pet peeve is probably the whole 'leash' aspect of RPing, or just lacking creativity as a whole. I would say in the most majority of my players, I'm required to do back flips for my partners to perform. Being a director on a big screen play that people can pat you on the back for is one whole awesome dig; but at a certain point, it can get a bit tiresome and annoying when you can predict what your RP partner is going to do, how they're going to do it. But this isn't a big screen play, high class project, it's a hobby that I'm sharing with another person. Don't you want to entertain me as much as I'm trying to entertain you? I'll create countless characters, fabricate the environment, give lore to a place that you're only going to be using for like an hour or two; don't you think I might deserve a little more than a dead fish technique when you're giving my character a blowjob?

If I want to be railed like a sock puppet, please, for the love of god, don't go straight to missionary and then shortly after doggy style then after blowing your load respond with: "Fuck yeah." Use the kitchen counter, bend my character out of shape, don't just push my character to their knees: do something bad ass like sitting on MC's head while shoving your dick down their throat. If I'm fucking your throat pipe, don't flop like a dead fish with the typical response that I don't even need to explain, because the person reading this knows what to expect.

Instead of responding to dialog, how about you start some for me to interact with for once? Anything, dude, blurt out that you like Donuts to the coffee shop worker that you're visiting from, I don't care, just something that produces some of that good shit. You wouldn't believe how making random comments like that in the real world can make friends, or even fuck buddies. People like interesting, be interesting.

I don't want to have to tug around this heavy ass leash and slog around to get you motivated enough to give me something sweet to read. That shit is definitely my biggest pet peeve, but it happens so often. I'm glad I have an RP group that I can work with, but sometimes I want 1x1 times with some new folk.

It just takes a lot of time and effort to sift through the 5 -> 10 bites I get from a bump.

When you discuss or try to discuss plot, their life gets hectic so you message them then they say. Oh maybe next time, once again don’t dm me if you don’t wanna play. I understand real life comes before role playing but don’t go awol for weeks or longer, then say oh maybe next time I mean yeah I went awol on my shadow wolf account but I’d forgotten I even had it still. I felt horrible for bailing on people the way I did, now I’m really enjoying being back on shadows account as well as this one.
But back on topic don’t dm me attempt to brainstorm then bail on me before anything gets started cause you can’t separate reality from the role play world. I’ve been around long enough to know when I need a break, half the time don’t take it but even if I don’t reply for a couple days it’s just cause I’m dealing with some stuff irl that rping can’t help me deal with.

Inability to control the narrative and making me do all of it. Its SOOOO tiring to come up with all the everything all the time. Like, if its for one of my ideas, I get it, but if I came to you, i kinda hope you have something you can lead with.

My current pet peeve is when you get sucked into a story, the other person bows out because your writing styles are different. It’s like whiplash because you get sucked into that characters head feel their emotions etc then your kicked to the curb. My characters are usually fragments of my own psyche, I feel what they feel visa versa. So a character lost a baby, is expecting her rainbow baby. I know exactly what it’s like to lose a child, would have loved to have had a rainbow baby but health issues made it to where I had to be fixed. I’m going off topic but like I said my characters are fragments of what I’m feeling at the present moment, to have that yanked away just because my style is different hurts.

When I send two separate reminder messages to see if they're still interested after a week of no response between each, and I still get nothing back.

Saying that you want a story with romance to feel some what real and the other character tells your character they love you with in the first meeting. That's not love works.

Aka trying to get to the smut part without the story part when you say I WANT story.

I've also had a lot of people trying to rush romance ^^. I prefer when the chemistry between characters feels genuine.

When people keep asking how long it'll take me to reply or if they're commenting how much time has passed since they've been waiting (Had a person comment how half an hour passed and I still haven't replied.) It just grinds my gears because sometimes I have to do things IRL so I have to walk away from my PC/Phone and can't start writing immediately like they want me to.

Passive-aggressive people-- They just grind my nerves into little stubs.

Recently had to drop an RP on another site. I'm pretty good about letting my partners know if and when I'll be able to post. I'm a Firefighter-- On call 24/7, 365 days a year and there are just times I'm so brain dead I can't think, I'm in desperate need of sleep and when I get a response like, "I guess I'll just sit here and be bored until you post..." Yup, I'm done.

I've dropped more RP's because of this then any other reason.

I really only have one big pet peeve for rp.. Dropping an RP without a word. It's kinda sucky if you've been writing together and they vanish. I do get that people may have something RL happen and just have to poof, ya know? But still feels a little hurtful because you just don't know why.

Many times I've encountered a partner who wants to go into an exquisite level of detail when planning out RP, and I've found that this very strongly correlates with a ghosting upon the commencement of actual play. It's very common on Discord in my experience, and it annoys the ever loving crap out of me. It's almost like these people enjoy the idea of role playing more than the actual act of it.

Many times I've encountered a partner who wants to go into an exquisite level of detail when planning out RP, and I've found that this very strongly correlates with a ghosting upon the commencement of actual play. It's very common on Discord in my experience, and it annoys the ever loving crap out of me. It's almost like these people enjoy the idea of role playing more than the actual act of it.

More often than not, that exquisite amount comes from me and it's the partners who ghost me at an alarming rate. It won't stop me putting in the effort but it's discouraging that I'll find an adequate number of partners.

That said, I am finding that Discord is an all but inevitable death sentence for planning an RP under any and all circumstances. Either the person was way too vague in what they were describing what they were looking for or they just weren't being honest about it to begin with.

Being constantly bombarded with reminder messages to reply when you’ve clearly gotten distracted with things going on in real life, really hate tell them your bored because there’s more smut then there is story plus your playing three characters to their one.

Being constantly bombarded with reminder messages to reply when you’ve clearly gotten distracted with things going on in real life, really hate tell them your bored because there’s more smut then there is story plus your playing three characters to their one.

That's only just recently happened to me with one person, it was pretty weird since it never happened to me before. Usually a reminder will be like, "Hey, how's it going? Just checking up, hope things are going okay with life." That way it doesn't come across as not caring about you and only caring about the game.

That's only just recently happened to me with one person, it was pretty weird since it never happened to me before. Usually a reminder will be like, "Hey, how's it going? Just checking up, hope things are going okay with life." That way it doesn't come across as not caring about you and only caring about the game.
I mean I wasn’t blowing them off, the last message in ooc had only been sent seven days ago. So it barely had circulated through the week.

When I get a one-liner reply to a long-winded invitation to RP I send to someone. If you don't have the time for a decent reply, then just fucking WAIT, or say, "Hey, I'm interested, don't have time to stick around now but will talk later" or something. It's just common sense, right?

When partners don’t understand that real life issues such as financial struggles can really kill muse, then say they hope things get better. You don’t wanna sound like a negative Nancy but you have very little hope in reality, when rping is how you escape you feel bad because you can’t write a good reply.

I don't mind what the reason is just so long as I get an acknowledgment that we're calling it quits. Being left wondering is worse since you don't know if it's because you weren't being a good writing partner or did something else wrong since then you can't learn from that mistake.

I don't mind what the reason is just so long as I get an acknowledgment that we're calling it quits. Being left wondering is worse since you don't know if it's because you weren't being a good writing partner or did something else wrong since then you can't learn from that mistake.
I’m really struggling to stay focused on the ones I have going, it’s even more annoying when they mess up an rp convo with ooc chatter because they can’t find the the original out of character conversation you started. I don’t mind out of character chatter but like it separated from in character stuff like the rp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom