Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In the Shadow of the Ocean (CasualVelociraptor x PhoenixRising82)

He held his head in his hands, his eyes clinched tight as he tried to push the visions away. Not really knowing exactly where they were coming from or even why at the moment.

Why now? Just another way to kick him while he’s down? His teeth grit a little harder and he half growled and half groaned.

Her words seeping and creeping through the cracks of her marbled visage, grating horrifically through cracked lips that fell open as if screaming at him.

He drew in a sharp breath, his eyes flying open. It took him a second to focus on the vision of Alice before him. He blinked, a little unsure if she had actually said what he’d thought she said but his mouth opened and the darkness of his own thoughts spilled forth with just a hint of venom behind them.

“What do I need from you? From my wife......I want you....no, I need you to be more like this....instead of always butting heads with me like my father and O. Stop trying to always ‘be first’, let me be a man, THE man, instead of always trying to control everything.”

The words spit forth before he could stop them, before he could mull his answer over in his cloudy head and deliver it less bluntly, less frustrated. At the same time, it felt good to have gotten them out, like ripping any remaining dark from him that might have lingered from wherever Alice had just taken him through.

And once that darkness was coughed up by his throat, Jareth could probably see that Alice was taken aback, trying to hold back tears so she wouldn’t erupt at him while other people could hear them.

“I see how it is,” Alice said, pinching her fingers on her nose and slumping onto the seat opposite from Jareth’s. “I suppose...I suppose I’m not as sweet or polite or easy to be with as Emily was, although I also try to be restrained, rational, dulcet, intelligent, poised...to be a woman is to be constantly juggling expectations from everyone. And I have done you wrong in the past, I know that.“ She wasn’t quite sure if the point was getting across, knowing how emotional she was right now.

“But I look around this car and I don’t see any other man here with me,” Alice said with a bit more bite. Then, however, she breathed out, “To me, Jareth, you are still the man to me whether you are happy or sad, lovely or grumpy, content or...feeling out of sorts.” Repulsed by her for some reason would be more accurate, but even here too Alice was holding her tongue rather than being brutally honest.

“But if your idea of being a man is about control...” This was the part that was really making Alice’s blood boil. “Then consider: I let you take charge of me in bed, a lot. I’ve moved in with you. I’ve practically given up the touch of another woman in order to be exclusive with you. I have agreed to carry your children, putting my body at significant risk while trying to protect us from a serial killer, when I am entirely within my rights to not be so, so...burdened by that responsibility. And those are just examples I can muster now.

“But I do that because I put you first- not above me, but side by side. Because I think you’re worthy of that. Because I love you above everyone else, and exactly as you are. I’ve rarely done that before, so excuse me if I make some mistakes along the way. I also- I want to believe that you are doing the same thing; that you understand that marriage must be a partnership of equals and not hide things when they bother you. Otherwise...what are you really risking here? You have more money than me, you are well connected politically, and it’s not your body that will work hard to birth our children. If you wanted to be free of all this drama and be right and in control all the time, you could just walk away and none of the people swooning at talk of our marriage now would ever assign you an ounce of blame.”

Alice then started to say, through the act of her face leaking water, “I’m sorry...if I didn’t make any sense just now. If- if I’m not doing what you need.”

Last edited:
He blinked, dark eyes quietly staring across the cab at Alice. His nostrils flared as he drew in a deep breath. The expected and hoped for calming affect having little....because he’d upset her. He could see it, written all over her, regardless that she was keeping it contained.

Maybe he’d expressed himself wrong. Maybe he was just....wrong period. Maybe he was just an asshole. Lord knows how many times he’d been told he was and even more, how many times had he actually been one? Had to be one?

He sighed heavily, hand wiping down his face as he fell back against his seat. He was not or had not intentionally been comparing her in everything she did to the Empress. Nor was it just Alice he was talking about.

His hand came to rest against his chin, his gaze dancing over her as she spoke. Lips forming a stoic line etched across his face as he listened. He let her finish, his mind trying to process before he opened his mouth but something just stuck in his craw and wouldn’t let go.

”Burdened.....hmmm....”

It was all he could say really on that point. His lips pursed together and his head nodded, once. Not entirely sure how to feel about that in its entirety. Children were a big responsibility and their current situation wasn’t exactly the best for them to be having children. He could see that point but it still hit him harder than he’d have ever thought when she put it that way. He sighed and let his hand drop to his lap, leaning forward to rub gently at his knee before he continued.

”One woman, just one.”

He muttered, a finger lifting to accentuate that point.

”And while you ripped me a new asshole for almost sticking my dick in someone else when we weren’t even exclusive, I still haven’t barred you from any other women, except Octavia....fuck knows I’ve wanted to because knowing you may go scurrying into bed with another woman makes me feel....less than adequate. But I haven’t because I don’t want you to be unhappy. I don’t want you to feel....repressed or or....or obligated. You ask what I risk? My own wants and my own happiness. Sure, I have money coming out my ears. I have connections. That’s my burden of responsibility....to keep face with all of that. What I don’t have is, a wife to come home to, children to run and jump into my arms and make all of the stress of that burden go away when I get home every day. Yet. I don’t have that completely....just yet. I risk my soon to be wife, the mother of my children finding that she enjoys the touch of a woman far better than me for whatever reasons.....and running off with her and our children.....because believe me, I wouldn’t stop you, even then I wouldn’t want to take away your happiness and as big of an asshole as I can be, I’d never try to take the children away from the woman that worked hard to raise them. I risk disappointing yet another person in my life. I risk one of those people swooning over us to finally piece together that I’m not good enough to be Prince of Olseka, that I’m not good enough to fight for my people, that I’m not good enough to keep a wife and children. That’s what I risk, Alice.“

He went still and quiet, swallowing thickly as he dropped back heavily against the seat. His hand gripping the head of his cane tightly, his thumb working over the craftsmanship of it, nervously. His gaze dropped from her, as if ashamed. Ashamed for being so weak, as his father would likely say.

Alice winced once he sighed at the word “Burdened.” For someone who prided herself on her keen grasp of lexical graces, that was definitely not one of her better word choices. And he seemed very deflated over his own potential inadequacy as well. On some of it her instinct was to tell him to just get over himself, as he could occasionally navel gaze. But she also recognized that she could do that too, and in her own defensiveness she’d badly stung him. And so the great detective wiped her eyes, straddled her one-time employer’s lap to humble herself before him, looked deeply into his hazel eyes with her own intense green pools, and kissed him while running her hand down the side of his head.

“Jareth...listen to me, and listen well. I have been weighed down my whole life by troubles, ugly things that I’ve done, that have been inflicted upon me, that you’ve seen and heard. Those were the real burdens in my life, not our children. Never the lives we are making together. I should never have implied otherwise, and I’m sorry I did.”

She paused a moment to unbutton her jacket, lift up her shirt, place her hand on her belly, and then place his hand there in turn.

“But what I’m not sorry to say is that I would go through all of it again. Yes, even this accursed Darkness I am destined to live with and pass on. Even every wound this world has inflicted on me. I would never give up a single moment with you, Jareth. These past six months that I’ve known you have been insanely happy or just plain insane sometimes, but they’ve been all worth it, because you. Are. Worth. It.

“I am never leaving you, not ever, and you will be a most excellent father. You want to know why? This investigation didn’t take long”- she hoped that would crack a smile- “and my conclusion is that it’s because of what you said just now. You’re afraid of being your father, of letting people down, which means you won’t do either. The fact that you would sacrifice so much for our children says a lot about your character. And I...I too am afraid, because I didn’t learn much about parenting from a dead mother or a drunkard father, and I always feel that I failed my siblings. I wouldn’t have agreed to marry you in such stressful times if I didn’t think we could rise above our pasts.

“I’ve been doing some thinking as well...about our mistakes. I think the reason why I was upset about the prostitutes, and you were upset about Octavia, was not so much the people involved. After all, I fooled around with John once and you never gave me any guff about that. Instead, it seems that we both failed to be honest, and felt we had to sneak around. That, I want to lay to rest forever.”

She looked at him with a mixture of warmth, intensity, and quiet strength that he had to know well by now. Something that she hoped told him she meant no deceit in these next words.

“I love you with all my being. I want to be your wife, who you come home to and who will always come home to you. I will never fall for another. You are the only one who has my heart, Jareth Williams. Do you understand? And I know you will not want for anything in bed, but if I should ever feel inclined to fool around with a woman other than Octavia, it’s not because I find anything lacking in our marital relations either. It just means...”

She sighed, as this was tricky to explain. “It means that I should like a different type of experience every once in a while. Like how you masturbate sometimes in privacy.” She’d heard it enough, in any event. “You taming the serpent doesn’t mean I’m not satisfying you when we do make love, or that you only ever want to jerk off. It just means you’d like to take care of things yourself sometimes, to scratch an itch. That’s not a perfect analogy, I know, but does that make sense?”

Alice bit her lip and looked down while still astride him, as she didn’t know how well this would go over.

“How about I make you a deal, right here and now. If a woman- again, not Octavia- expresses physical interest in me, and I am even so much as interested in kissing her in return, I’ll come to you first. If you don’t like it for any reason, then you have full power to veto it, and I won’t pursue that matter further. Is that an acceptable compromise?”

Last edited:
His attention shifted from the cab floor, slowly finding her beautiful face as she settled into his lap. He released his cane, letting it lean against the seat and wall beside them. His hands gently coming to rest against her thighs as he looked up at her quietly and fully. His head leaning into her hand as she leaned in to kiss him.

When she asked him to listen, his gaze met hers and he listened, his gaze soft though still a little stung, a lot unsure, varying emotions colliding all at once in the brown and green marbled pools that stared at her. He nodded softly at her apology, a silent reply telling her that he understood and he wasn’t holding it against her.

His gaze dropped again, this time following her movements as she unbuttoned her jacket, as her hand slid across her belly before she lifted his from her thigh. His fingers, slightly roughened on the pads, danced across her smooth skin until his hand lay flat against her belly. He drew in a deep breath, a faint smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as his fingers brushed against hers until they were locked together over the tender, faint bump. He felt the faint shift and press of a tiny growing body beneath his hand.

”Being with you....is my heaven.”

Jareth murmured quietly. When his gaze returned to hers, it was softer than it had been, no longer riddled with anger or sadness but full of love and adoration. Not only for her but the girls inside her belly too. His girls. All three of them. The mention of the Darkness only registered the briefest shifts in that expression though, he chose to focus on the rest of her words instead.

When asked if he knew why he’d be a good father, a brow lifted as his head canted and indeed she was awarded a small smirk, the left corner of his lips curling. Always his little detective.

One hand on her belly, the other rose to brush against her jaw. Fingers tangling back into her hair as his thumb stroked against her cheek. He listened to every word she spoke. Just as she’d listened to him. Different emotions dancing across his features.

When she mentioned his self pleasure, his 12 year old boy brain took over for a second and he couldn’t help the grin that spread across his lips. She wasn’t wrong. Though, he spanked it more to keep himself from keeping her in bed as well as scratch that itch she spoke of.

That’s called....self love.

He quipped, both hands dropping back to her thighs, gently pulling her further into his lap. His head dipping slightly to peer up into her down turned eyes until she offered her deal. After she’d laid it out for him, he sat silent for a few long moments. Contemplating her offer to its fullest before he finally drew in a long breath, leaning back. His eyes dancing over her in silence and then nodded softly.

”Fair enough, Ali-Cat.”

He answered finally. It was fair and he’d rather her ask than feel she needed to sneak around. And she was willing to leave Octavia out of the equation. He couldn’t really complain.

Last edited:
After smiling when he described being with her as his heaven, Alice Guthrie rolled her eyes, threw her head back and chuckled at his puerile joke about whacking it. This was the dork who'd impregnated her. The cheeseball who she'd decided to marry. The lovable, handsome, sweet, compassionate...still very smug suave man who had smooth talked his way into her heart. And now she was falling in love with him all over again as he said three simple words that made her feel reassured. And so she nuzzled the crook of his neck with her head and whispered-

"I've never been more attracted to you, or turned on in my entire life than I am right now," Alice whispered as his cock could feel the heat in her core through both of their pants. Their car was at the apex of the 1500 foot height of the pleasure car, and they could see the whole fair and much of the western side of the city stretched out before them. "And if you hadn't already put babies in me...of course, you just had to overdo it and give me two...but if I wasn't, I would beg for you to give me some right here and right now."

She decided to pretend that was what was happening for the sake of a hot fantasy, then clawed at both their waists to pull down their clothes and mounted him with a raw, animal passion that surprised her, performing a delicate yet powerful dance between her tongue and his in his mouth as she pinned him down and they rutted with abandon. What had caused all this, she realized, was his immense capacity to surprise her. He was the mystery that she'd never solve, but she didn't want to, for he kept delighting her with his support, his warmth, his genuine hope for the future...it was all so sexy to her, as much if not more than his physique and the cock that had given her so much, and would be the key to her womb for all her life.

They only had time for one mating session before they both arrived at the peak of pleasure together at the end of the ride, then narrowly avoided detection by dressing hastily. Then the energy afforded Alice by his ejaculate made her eager to show him around all the booths at the World of Progress part of the exposition, which itself was a spectacle, humming as it was with new lightjars that converted whale oil into tiny bolts of lightning, for a cleaner, brighter light that lasted longer than conventional oil lamps. And, best of all, World of Progress would remain permanently on Inventors Green as a "themed amusement park" opening for general admission in Spring 1894.

Various bands from all around the world playing new types of music on bizarre new instruments.

The ability to hear those instruments and much more played back in your home was then demonstrated for the astonished crowd on the new Autocorder, which would be available for just N500 in all major clockwork and steamparts retail shops by Foundation Day 1894 (the beginning of a new year for Caledoria in the exact nadir of winter, and the most popular holiday and shopping time across the Empire). Songs could be played at will from prerecorded, interchangeable Vox cartridges purchasable in shops for N30, recorded on blank Voxes by users with the built in microphone, or received on the Autocorder at random from ten advertisement, donation, or tax-supported "spectra stations" broadcast by a network of electrospectra transmitters, all of which would gradually roll out until spring. The very first of these was unveiled from under a giant tarp to the astonished crowd and blasted music all over the fair with the help of a team of retransmission gliders.

This same technology would enable people to talk to each other using dedicated public transmitters built for such. This revolution was demonstrated on a comparatively less sleek looking box and handset developed by a small company called Ferning & Essen, but it was no less impressive when demonstrated with two different people talking to each other in scratchy but still clear copies of their words across the green.

Meanwhile, a storybox summoned different single ghostly, lifelike images that moved like real people, animals, and objects. To demonstrate, an entire steam train was conjured before them as if out of the fog, seeming if one did not look too closely as if it could be climbed onto, and then roared and charged ahead on invisible tracks, giving even Alice a fright. Soon, the mad inventors behind this promised, this would change live theatrical productions forever!

That was all well and good for Alice, but the machine she got most excited about was the new and improved Scripter A2 mechanical scroll copier, since she'd made good use of her old scroll copier for years and now it had burned up with her apartment, so she needed a replacement for her work. Rather than using an enchanted quill artifact at each copier to write messages at one end and then have another quill rewrite the message at the other end on a different machine, it used metal keys to type out clear, easily readable print messages between users, which would be free on the new and improved Public Scroll Network. They also advertised the ability to subscribe to newspapers, magazines, and serialized novels and have them typed out and bound before your very eyes; albeit the results were less elegant than hand printed or hand written versions that were delivered to the home or sold in shops and newsstands, the machine was noisy and room sized, and it was nearly a thousand notes. This was half the price she'd paid for her old one while being much more capable, however, and the surprise that made Alice nearly explode with delight was that the first machines were available to buy and install that day. She had mentioned to Jareth before that her birthday was coming up on July 13th (her parents never knew whether it was the 13th or actually the 12th, since they'd been exhausted and she'd been born sometime in the dark at home and registered a year late), and so Alice wondered if she should ask Jareth for this as a gift.

The only exhibit she actively despised was the introduction of new fresher tasting and more powerful lines of organic philters by Future Fountains in hand-blown bottles with no preservatives, and priced out of mass consumption. These were clearly catered to the upper class folks who were frightened by the mer flu pandemic's transformative effects and wanted a quick yet refined way to defend themselves against the poor should social unrest reach their doorsteps. Alice nearly screamed. She knew the reality of what was in these mutagenic draughts as the idiotic lords and ladies flocked to buy them, and was determined to take down this evil company once and for all, which she was sure was operated by Elizabeth, or at least employed her in her bid to mind control the imbibers of this seductive liquid power. And yet all evidence of such had been obliterated by the sterilization of the Red Zone in South Bend, and so her suspicions were not worth making a scene over.

Then, the moment of truth.

John took the stage at Jareth Industries' exhibit area, called JarethLand, which was comparable in size to the entire World of Progress, and was hidden under the largest tent the world had ever seen. Why this was soon became apparent when the tent folded itself away, as John proudly announced that the reason why the WRR Directorate had closed the TransCapital Ocean Line of the World Rim Railway (so called because it was the connector between two of the great capitals of the world) was that it was now a testing ground for the newer, faster, longer, sleeker, amphibious Illustrious Lady prototype, and they needed to temporarily close the line in order to perform these tests safely. Alice knew that was a lie meant to buoy Jareth Industries' stock prices, assuage the anger of Olsea's government, and cover Prince Adamaris for his impulsive, emotionally driven decision.

But the crowd soon forgot all about that when they saw the equally shiny, but more boxy Powerful Gentleman prototype land-only train that would begin limited test travel on a new track between Radiant and the beach destination of Cardenath parallel to the existing line that July, shown alongside the amphibious model. The crowd got to ride both trains at the fair, as well as new autocars, autocycles, the Richards Mark IV turboprop aeroplane (developed in collaboration with RichLabs under a contract with the Imperial Army, he announced as he brought Octavia up onto the stage to great fanfare) and single and multi-seater air screws (which were admittedly not as "sexy" as the others, but were lighter, faster and less cumbersome and noisy than the old, balloon-supported models; the latter model was also shown picking up a chained up and clearly unhappy dragon, to the crowd's astonishment). And last but certainly not least was the Detective Guthrie, an "aeroboat" meant to compete with passenger airships that was rideable for a short hop between the manmade Convention Lake and Radiant Harbor, would start taking reservations for maiden voyage tickets today (which sold out in minutes), and was promised to provide luxurious sleeping quarters, dining areas, an amphitheater, a swimming pool, a zoo and botanical garden, and much more for an initial round trip flight taking 24 hours each way between Radiant and Porbandiu on the western coast of Surabamba for the busy holiday travel season, with a single stopover in Madieca, the capital of Midvadir. 25 more boats and 100 more short and long haul routes were planned by 1905. All of these stupendous vehicles were piloted by dramatically more humanoid, intelligent, and lifelike Xen 4 model automatons, available for 50,000 notes.

And speaking of sexy, as soon as Jareth and Alice stepped out of one of the cars demonstrated in JarethLand, it was all Alice could do to not be washed away by the tides of adoring fans thanking him for all this amazing technology that would change their lives. And it was all John could do not to scowl. But Octavia rubbed his shoulder, and he soon remembered the piece de resistance of Jareth Industries' announcements as the crew signaled that they were ready to surface.

Thus did the World's Hearth, the first "hybrid whaler" based on the same technology as burgeoning all-surface cargo airships and so could operate on land, sea, and air just like those ships (just a hundred times smaller than those), recapture everyone's attention once again by flying up from under the water, and then landing on four gigantic legs. When asked by confused reporters what in the Emperor's name a hybrid whaler was, John exclaimed, "I have found the future of energy deep within the arctic ice of Raeybek and Lesser Caledoria and exclusively patented by Jareth Industries!" He then held out a block of ice, which aroused more puzzlement, until he donned protective gear and dropped it into a bucket of lower heated water and also heated an identical bucket of hotter burning whale oil, proving that the ice would produce more steam with less energy, and then using it to power a lightjar faster and brighter than the whale oil could. "I call it kinetic ice! All the machines you see before you are powered by a patented mixture of this brand new raw material, whale oil, and other trade secret ingredients called 'Dioxegenated State-Changeable Oil'..."

"Nerd reminder," Octavia whispered in her lover's ear.

"Or just 'diosco' for short. The steam it generates will be cleaner, make machines run faster and cooler, use less whale oil and heavy coolant than in the past, can power the World's Hearth for nearly a month on a single drum without refueling, will be available in all homes in Radiant and elsewhere on Caledoria by winter, and will soon be retrofitted into our existing whalers as they perform less hunting. Speaking of whales...bring Pudgy up, crew!"

The crowd instantly fell in love with Pudgy as they got to see his tank lifted up by the World's Hearth's crane for all the world to see. "I love him too! Unfortunately, Pudgy's mother was eaten by a kraken some five years ago, so we avenged her death, got some delicious and finely dry aged kraken steaks out of that foul beast, which the Xens are handing out for you at no charge, and raised him ever since in our first ever whale farm. You see, when whales are babies, they get incredibly chubby as their tiny bodies are less capable of processing fat from mother's milk and eventually fish, colossal shrimp, and other meat. I mean, look at Pudgy! He's so huggable. But here's the thing. After a while the blubber they build up for the winter makes them too bulbous to swim in the spring. So what's a growing whale to do?"

Soon, sneezing powder saturated the water, and when it settled to the bottom, Pudgy sneezed, causing the assembled throng to laugh as he dramatically slimmed down and a floating island of blubber rose to the surface.

"Clean that all up, would you, men? And one woman." She then waved. "And by the way, we're projected to have 20% of our crewmates be women by 1900, due to the nature of these hybrid ships requiring more people- and Xens- to operate, as well as people to operate those Xens, and well, you get the idea." This was cheered on by many of the women in attendance; not so much the men, although a few of them clapped to support the fairer sex's move into this increasingly cleaner and hopefully safer line of work.

As a net scooped up the blubber and Pudgy swam happily, John said, "That enables him to keep up with the rest of the pod; we just hadn't seen it before because we so rarely see baby whales away from their pod. So anyway, once he ejects the blubber, we feed him some more, he'll get fat again, he'll sneeze out blubber when we induce him to, and on and on we go. They normally only shed their blubber in the spring, but our scientists have calculated that whales can be induced to sneeze once a week, dispersing up to 1000 tons of blubber a year before they finish maturing at 15 years old. This is as much as a full pod of ten adult whales stores and burns up in their bodies combined in the same period, with no need to kill the whale to get at the hardened blubber hidden behind layers of skin and muscle and..."

"You're doing it again, love," Octavia whispered, unable to resist a giggle.

"Anyway, with the discovery of kinetic ice, the development of whale farms and diosco, and a machine called the lipovacuum that we plan to have done by the end of the decade that will painlessly extract blubber from adult whales, eventually eliminating the need for any hunting besides for food production, Jareth Industries is leading the way in addressing the environmental and humanitarian concerns of those who have spoken loud and clear about whale hunting, saving orphaned baby whales and giving them long and full lives, increasing jobs and technological advancement, and more besides in a way that other whale oil providers cannot match. Thank you everyone, and enjoy the rest of RAISE!"

John then bounded off the stage in excitement while holding Octavia's hand to the universal cheers of the crowd. Alice was quite simply blown away by his and Jareth's ingenuity, and knew they'd all have to discuss these fantastic contraptions she'd just seen and ridden soon.

Last edited:
Their tryst in the Pleasure Wheel had, in that moment, wiped away his fears as he focused on her instead. That focus remained on Alice as the pair mingled through the crowds at each exhibitors booth. He watched her and paid attention to her reactions to each invention.

Holding her close, unabashedly showering her with affections, regardless that they were in public. There was no need for discretion, from either of them anymore of course.

Once they reached the JarethLand tent, he and Alice stood off to the side, letting John and Octavia work their magic with the presentations. He watched, proud of his friends. Proud of his inventions. And exalted by the crowds reactions around them.

When Alice was enraptured by the show, he quietly and gently extracted himself from the crowd, leaving his wife-to-be with his equally enthralled mother and made his way back toward the World of Progress. He made three stops. Purchasing three Autocorders, three Storybox’s and a single Scripter A2. The last of which was to be delivered directly to Palaidia Hall. He’d seen the way Alice had lit up and while she hadn’t asked, it was indeed for her birthday and a replacement to the one she’d lost in her apartment fire. An Autocorder and Storybox were also to be delivered to his home. The remaining four items he acquired claim tickets for. He also took a few moments at each, posing for pictures. It would be good business for them, people knowing that he bought and enjoyed their product.

He made it back before Alice or his mother noticed his absence. Though it hadn’t escaped John or Octavia, as the pair of them, without missing a beat, flashed him a curious look when he slithered up next to the two most important ladies in his life. Claim tickets stuck in the inside of his jacket pocket for now. He’d wait until the end of the presentation.

As John and Octavia came off the stage, he offered O a kiss to the cheek and praised the work she’d done and John, a handshake and praise. Then turned to his mother and Alice and smiled broadly.

”Would the two of you find two each from the audience and bring them up, please?”

He asked and without elaborating, turned and made his way up on to the stage.

Alice beamed, relief washing over her as Jareth confidently expressed his love for her in front of the throng. It saddened her that she knew she couldn’t show that same sentiment with a hypothetical woman without getting arrested. At least she knew Jareth wasn’t primarily interested in showing her off to legitimize himself, as Taiga had been once he’d realized that his connection to Alice could bolster his own aspirations. But she was also puzzled by Jareth’s disappearance behind a stage, and no sooner had he ducked out than she was asked to find two audience members to bring up onto the stage with them.

Jareth’s discussions with the companies who were making these prizes surprised no one more than Loquo Studios (for the Autocorder), Obscura Productions (for the Storybox), and Scripter Company themselves, who scrambled to make up the proper claim tickets, handwritten on scraps of paper, to give to him in minutes. Obscura hadn’t even planned on selling Storyboxes direct to consumer due to their technical complexity making the price per unit prohibitive, figuring that renting it to theaters would make for a better recurring revenue stream. The Obscura engineers were called in immediately after Jareth left to hand write a new version of the included manual for whoever won a Storybox so that people who were not theater technicians could decipher how to record their actions onto blank interchangeable Mento Bulbs, play them back, and buy prerecorded Bulbs as well. A new era of home entertainment was dawning thanks in large part to one man...

Meanwhile, Ianassa, not knowing what Jareth had planned, picked out a grandmother and her excited granddaughter, and Alice picked out two eighteen year old girls who were having a hard time containing their excitement and keeping their hands off each other. While Ianassa was simply moved by the open display of the inter generational family relationship, Alice intended to approach the two women after the show to have “the talk” about how to survive as queer women in public. A look shared between her and Octavia charged them both with looking after ones so new to the art of hiding their own hearts.

Last edited:
He tapped John and Octavia on their elbows as he passed, his head jerking toward the stage. A silent question for his friends and business partner to join him on the stage.

His voice barreled out over the crowd, asking them to wait just a moment before dispersing.

While his mother and wife made their way through the crowd in search of the lucky members, he turned and explained to John and Octavia what he was doing and asked them to present the winners with their prizes.

Octavia presented the eighteen year old couple with their Autocorder and Storybox. John presented the grandmother and granddaughter with theirs.

Jareth momentarily stood back with Ianassa and Alice as excited squeals and happy tears came. Applause from the crowd rang through the tent. A smile spread across Jareth’s face. He kissed his mother on the cheek and pulled Alice with him forward, congratulating the four with them at center stage.

After a few moments of ‘thank you’s’ and ‘you’re welcome’s’ being exchanged, as well as instruction for the claiming of their gifts, Jareth stepped forward and pulled Alice close. His attention out over the crowd however for a moment.

”Everyone, please wish the soon to be Mrs Williams a Happy Birthday. She will be a recipient of each one of these products as well.”

He turned a beaming grin on her beautiful features, his dark eyes dancing over hers mischievously, he tipped her back slightly, following.

”I love you.....”

He proclaimed for everyone to hear and then planted a deep and loving kiss on her lips.

“And I you, for you are the best birthday present of all,” Alice giggled as she kissed Jareth back to thunderous applause. Cheesy, yes. Not the kind of thing the book character based on her would say, as that simulacrum was married to science. But true- oh fuck yes!

She would have made out with him for as long as they wished, but had to make it more of a peck instead of a tongue wrestle like they liked due to being in front of an audience. Still, she was beyond ecstatic, not just at the gifts (although she planned to play with, analyze, maybe even modify her new toys and the blank and prerecorded Voxes and Mentos the companies sent with her machines as soon as she could!) but at Jareth’s generous surprise gift not just to herself but the other guests on stage. She knew Jareth could be this way, and she’d read of his philanthropy even when he went by Adamaris alone. But it still warmed her to see it in action.

Jareth, however, vetoed riding any more rides like the rolling hill or the liftbox, and Alice knew it would be bad form to part from his side and that the festival would last for six more days, giving her plenty of time to explore its wonders; not to mention, in this crowd it would be hard to find him again. Instead, after checking out a few more inventions and circus acts for some hours together, he ordered dinner from various booths for delivery to Palaidia and then called an autocarriage home, declining to celebrate Solstice that evening with the throng as the sun finally set on the longest day of the year.

Alice couldn’t help but be a little disappointed. Solstice, after all, had been the one time each year that she could, behind the safety of the traditional Suns & Moon Masks, truly be herself. She’d loved kissing whoever she wanted (and there were no shortage of willing kissers), dancing up against them in an alcohol, sweetgrass and psychmoss induced haze before having wild, unforgettable orgies behind closed doors, without those prudes in the Church of Solstice and the Imperial Eye being able to do anything but seethe. Sometimes, when cases piled up or Elizabeth returned to kill again, it was one of only a few times she’d allow herself a moment out of her apartment for pleasure. Yet, even if his fiancée dancing in such close proximity to a mass of very horny men and women wouldn’t make Jareth uncomfortable; even if her behavior didn’t cause a scandal due to their public marriage announcement; and even if Ianassa weren’t present, she couldn’t imbibe any substances (apart from an occasional sweetgrass hit, at a low dose) due to her pregnancy.

All that made sense, and so even with all that taken into account Alice wasn’t upset. Yet she did also feel a little bit envious of the innocent lesbian couple, named Susan and Elissa, who were being escorted by a wolfishly grinning John and Octavia into a carriage to the legendary Raise Royale hotel to “discuss logistics” surrounding their prizes. And probably help them to celebrate Solstice properly. Even back then, she hadn’t been as starry eyed as they due to her own baggage.

And now, Alice had been around enough pregnant women to look forward to bloating, swollen feet, constant trips to the bathroom and an utterly devastated birth canal which could not be touched by anyone for six months. Among other pleasantries!

It was no matter in the end. Alice felt like she could hang out and just talk with Ianassa by herself for hours, and she looked forward to dancing with Jareth as music blared in the ballroom, looking with awe upon the phantasms conjured by the Storybox as they snuggled, and then making love (never long enough yet for a satisfying aeon) before falling asleep next to the man of her dreams. What she’d lost in adrenaline she’d more than made up for with safety like she’d never known, and she couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate her 25th Solstice than that.

All this didn’t mean she couldn’t get away with a little naughty behavior, however. Alice snuck off while the noisy Jareth Industries air screws crewed by half a dozen engineers each were airlifting the heavy machines to Palaidia, bought a couple souvenir masks, and winked at Jareth before slipping them into the trunk of their vehicle with a grin of her own. She was looking forward to pretending to be two total strangers, if he caught her drift...

Last edited:
Jareth knew she was at the very least a little disappointed that anymore rides and the Solstice celebration was a no go for him this time around. He’d been to plenty, he knew what was involved and this time, it wasn’t so much that he didn’t want Alice to participate but this year, his mother was present and while she knew exactly how he was, it was truly she that he didn’t want partaking in the activities. He knew she was loyal to his father and loved his father immensely. He didn’t want her getting into something she shouldn’t. Alice carrying his children was also very present in his head when he made the decision though as well. And so, despite knowing it might upset his beautiful bride to be, even just a bit, he’d declined delving that deep into the years festivities.

As they waited for the autocarriage, he gently pulled Alice close, wrapping his arms around her from behind. He planted a tender line of kisses from her neck to her ear before whispering.

”Next year, my Queen. I promise you, the Solstice will be yours to enjoy as you please.”

He let his chin come to rest against her shoulder, his head tilting toward her. A smile curling his lips as he gazed up at her. Indeed, knowing full well what transpired, he had genuinely, without prompting or pleading, just willingly given her the promise of a pass to do as she pleased, granted it was a years wait but he was trying. A step in the right direction, perhaps?

As the air screws began lifting into the evenings skies, Ianassa, with a beaming smile tapped her son against his arm and drew his attention to the large manned crafts as they climbed higher. Jareth planted a solid, loving kiss against Alice’s cheek as he straightened and turned his attention toward his mom and explained that they were carrying Alice’s presents to Palaidia.

A deep groan escaped him as the Queen admitted an excitement and want to ride in one of the air screws while she was here.

”What is it with you ladies and those flying death traps?”

He asked, though he couldn’t help a chuckle before he promised he would secure his mother a ride in one in the days to come. He figured he could most certainly get Alice and Octavia to oblige his mothers request and he wouldn’t have to worry about setting foot into one.

He turned to present the offer to Alice, noting then her disappearance and for just a moment his heart caught in his throat before he saw her bounding back toward them and the carriage that had just arrived. His eyes settling for a confused moment on the masks in her hand before she winked and they disappeared into the trunk. A crooked smirk tugged the corner of his lip.

He helped each woman into the carriage before pulling himself in and settling beside Alice, wiggling his hand beneath his and snaking their fingers together.

”My mother would like to ride in one of your favored death machines. Perhaps you and Octavia can oblige her?”

He asked as the carriage began moving, carrying them off toward home.

“I think that could be arranged,” Alice said, then ribbed Ianassa with her elbow about her love of these ‘death machines.’ When Ianassa ribbed her back, Alice quickly let out a series of belly laughs that she quickly suppressed with her hand.

Then Ianassa said in response to Jareth’s question from earlier, having had a few moments to process it, “I think you perhaps know something about yearning to see things other than water. I just take it one step further.”

After a long ride full of light teasing from the two most important women in his life, Jareth was soon able to unveil the surprise of Alice’s young life: one more loud, hefty machine for a guest room that he’d secretly had the Xens carve out as an office space, replicating her old office nook from her apartment down to the tiniest detail. The newest Scripter, complete with gifted annual subscriptions to all the newspapers, magazines, and serial novels she could ever want from Radiant and around the world.

In response, Alice, who was very high on life at this point, began to laugh uncontrollably. But it was only for a few moments, as Alice also realized that she didn’t want Jareth to think she was laughing off his gift.

“Sorry, Jareth,” she exhaled after her laughing fit was over, “but you really got me this time! I did not expect to get this for my birthday, that’s for sure. And a month early at that! I love it so much, but you are sneaky!” That last sentence was said almost out of breath as her dry throat tried to laugh again, but couldn’t. Instead, she fell forward into Jareth’s embrace and kissed him. “Let’s dance the night away, and really make this Solstice something special that I’ll remember long after forgetting next year’s,” Alice then purred, with loopy eyes beaming upwards at his.

Ianassa just sighed and smiled, thinking about herself being that young and carefree even as she dreaded being arranged to marry Crown Prince Meredydd. (She also wondered when would be a good time to feign needing to go to bed). And then she wished that Meredydd could be here with her. If only he could see how much Jareth loved this woman and the care she had for him in return, he would know that all of their heartache and pain raising Jareth had been worth it.

But their reverie was cut short when pneumatic tubes around Palaidia Hall filled with a blue fluid and activated alarms all across the house and grounds. It appeared that something or someone (or multiples of each) had breached the fence surrounding the property without properly unlocking the octopus lock first, and activated the Xen turrets along the perimeter.

One look out the door revealed why.

All of Radiant was afire.

Dragons were illuminated briefly against the darkened clouds by the light of their wrathful fire; by explosions from the ground that rang as gnats in their ears- insignificant; and by the ordinance, whether fiery solar beams unleashed by angry Goliaths or bombs dropped by screaming birds of metal that rained down upon them.

And three- no, five- of these same beasts were raining hellish vengeance on Jareth’s poor security bots just outside in the lawn they’d hoped would be a green, verdant play space for their children.

“Ianassa...please head down to the basement, for your own safety,” Alice calmly beseeched her future mother-in-law. She then whispered to her fiance, “Is your suit dry cleaned yet? Because my dress is freshly pressed.”

Unbeknownst to all but them, Alice and Jareth weren’t talking about clothes, but their respective armors. Hers, a refurbished reminder of the past. His, a brand new janky but earnest attempt at power armor that had much success for only a few weeks of work. The agreement (Alice thought) was that these would be the armors they’d wear into battle together, should it come to that again.

Last edited:
He watched the two women, unable to contain or hide the smile twitching at the corners of his mouth as they nudged each other and laughed. Ecstatic that they were and had been getting along so well. At least one of his parents liked her. The one that mattered the most.

When his mother addressed him, he gave her a slow side glance before turning his full attention toward her.

Step is the key word. Feet on the ground, it’s a wonderful feeling, I promise you, mom.”

He volleyed back and took the teasing he received from both of them. Still proud of the fact that he’d bucked up and gotten on one of those damned things, as Alice regaled his mother with the story that had ultimately brought them down to Olseka. The description of sweaty palms and his hands clinched against the arms of the chair he’d been sitting in tickled his mother to no end.

Once they’d arrived back at Palaidia and received the autorecorder and storybox, Jareth excitedly enticed Alice and his mother up to the second floor, a door directly across from his own office. Letting his wife-to-be open the door to her final gift. He stepped in behind her and leaned up against the wall, just inside the door. Ianassa just outside the doorway, watching.

Her laughter made him smile rather than offending him. The expression turning into a cheeky, proud smirk that lit across his features at her declaration of him being sneaky.

”I have to be when I’m dealing with you, my little detective.”

He laughed softly as his arms circled around her, his lips meeting hers in a warm, returned kiss. And when she asked him to dance the night away, a grinned formed over his lips as he pressed another, albeit brief, kiss to her lips.

”Let’s.”

He murmured quietly, brushing his nose against hers before sweeping her into a slow, swaying dance in the small space of the room. Humming as they moved. The joy of it short lived as soon as the alarm sounded.

A frown stitched across his lips as they scrambled to see what had set the alarms off. He could hear the turret Xen’s clanking and creaking to life above them. Seeing what hell reigned outside of his doors, on his home, a pained but quiet sound escaped him. Seeing Radiant aflame, inwardly Jareth was losing his shit. John and Octavia had stayed behind in the city, the city that was now burning. It was clear that his armored force may not be enough to protect his own home nor the Queens within it. The thought that he could very well lose everyone close to him tonight, terrified him.

When Alice begged his mother to the basement, it took everything in him not to make Alice go with her. He’d promised her and himself he wouldn’t.

”Xen, see that my mother gets downstairs safely, please.”

He instructed sharply, turning toward Alice. Once again, fighting the want to tell his paramour to take herself and their unborn children down as well. Her whispered words were met with a strained expression.

”Ready as it’ll be.”

Slipping his hand into hers, fingers tangling with hers and squeezing gently, he led the way to the workshop.

General Taron, the Commander in Chief of All Sea Forces for the Kingdom of Olsea, set foot onto land for the first time, and instantly hated it. In fact, he cursed the Sea Mother, the goddess of merfolk, for allowing dry land to continue to exist. It just felt wrong under his feet, and confirmed his disgust for the rats that clung to these rocks as armor formed around him that assisted his walking.

Unfortunately, some of the feetbearers were necessary to the success of this operation. It had been many thousands of years since Olsea could exert its influence unchallenged. And if they didn’t succeed here, Olseka itself might fall to the Empire. So the help of the psychotic Elizabeth and her braindead creatures as well as the Ananki Confederation and their filthy flying lizards was appreciated in this endeavor. But he still disliked the reminder of this unholy alliance that disembarked his dragon.

“General, I bear a message from the forces of our esteemed Commander Arawynn,” he proclaimed.

Taron smirked. There were always, he supposed, exceptions to every rule. One thing he was looking forward to was cementing their military agreement with his cock, as he had when she visited Olseka to draw up the plans for this offensive months ago. Meira had impressed him on the spot with her martial prowess and her...athletic form.

“Sir?” the elf asked, snapping him out of his reverie.

“Well? Out with it, boy,” he snarled.

“Your men and our dragonriders have surrounded the Riveters factory where many of the World Rim Railway trains and other Jareth Industries machines as well as more of those ghoulish Goliaths and other Imperial war vehicles are being made.”

“Good. Have they captured it yet?”

“No.”

“Why the fuck not?” Taron snarled.

“Well, you see, Paio is inside, and he’s taken one of those spells in a bottle you warned us about and is...not quite himself. We’ve been fighting him as best we can, but we didn’t want to just kill one of your own citizens summarily and cause any kind of rift between our two countries.”

“How- considerate,” Taron gritted his teeth and faked a smile. “But take the factory. Raze it to the ground if you have to. And kill him and anyone who continues to resist. Now make haste, whelp. Before those whalemunchers counterattack!”

The terrified youth mushed his dragon to fly off into the night and deliver the message to breach the factory and kill anyone inside who stood in the way of destroying critical Imperial infrastructure as soon as possible. However, he and his mount were soon paralyzed by the deafening sound of a Richards Mark IV dive fighter attacking them at close to the speed of sound and torn to shreds by its chaingun before they could respond. (It was one of thousands of fighters and bombers that were now scrambled in the battle for control of the Radiant skies while Goliaths and colossal anti-air cannons peppered the air.) In any event, that meant Paio, Octavia, Elissa and Susan were given a little bit more time before they would be annihilated.

But not much.

Not knowing this small piece of his master plan was falling apart, Taron asked a psychic aide, “And what of our other objective?”

“The dragons and elves have destroyed Adamaris’s pathetic automated defenses, sir,” the merman aide said after finishing scrying the area around Palaidia. “But why would you and Commander Arawynn send so many, sir? They are only two people.”

“We’ve studied Alice Guthrie since she joined their horrifying Golem program. She’s one of the last ones we haven’t eliminated in revenge for Sanctuary Trench, and she commands the Darkness. Meanwhile, Adamaris has been twisted by greed and power to make mechanical monstrosities that can cut down entire divisions. One should never underestimate their enemy!”

“I understand, sir. You show great wisdom, and per your orders, two hundred of our best eelmen soldiers are at your disposal.”

At first glance, the eelmen wore armor like any other merfolk. But they had been taken from their mothers as infants, injected with eel blood to deform them, and trained to be ruthless killers with the ability to sprint on all fours or two legs faster than a cheetah on land, as well as command lightning magic that could end up paralyzing anyone it hit or disabling machines. The eelmen were Olsekan special forces for a reason.

“Everyone, march with me,” he hissed. A thousand soldiers of mer and eel variety stood at the ready. “We have a spoiled prince to discipline.”

Taron, no! Please, leave Adamaris be. You’ll doom us all, you fool!

“Get out of my head and rot in that trench, old man,” Taron growled. “You are weak, your wife and son are cowards and traitors, and only your daughter, our great Queen Caerulia, sees the truth. And I will enjoy ripping the monstrous spawn you call grandchildren out of Adamaris’s whore with my bare hands and crushing them while you, he and Ianassa watch before killing them.”

Alice was now clad in her Golem armor and gauntlet once again. Her shotgun, revolver, speargun, and rivet gun were at the ready in a basket on her back that she’d tied them to. This would provide easier access to them and their assorted ammo pouches than weighing down her waist with a utility belt, especially now that she was pregnant.

“May I say how impeccably dressed you look, love?” the cheeky detective asked as she saw him in his armor. Then she sighed, “The only force capable of mustering enough dragons to do this horrible thing is the Ananki Confederation.” Alice then shook her head. She hoped the maniacs who ruled the superpowers realized what folly they had thrown millions, perhaps even hundreds of millions of innocent lives into. “And you know what that means? As soon as we step out there, we’ll be walking into a world war. The world war.”

She’d dreaded the possibility since returned home from Surabamba and kept a secret closet full of half-crazed notes, maps, and newspaper clippings detailing what she believed were political, economic and military steps that would lead to what she called the Coda.

This was her belief that any form of organized civilization would collapse by 1900. She’d done her best to prevent it by exposing and thereby taking down key criminals, generals and even Imperial Senators who would further a war for their own goals. (Mostly through due process and incarceration, but she always kept airtight evidence logs in case she ever needed to prove self-defense or defense of others.)

But now it was too late. The apocalyptic conflict had come seven years early, and haunting air raid sirens sang of its arrival.

“This is General Taron of All Seas. Adamaris, you are under arrest for high treason against Queen Caerulia and her people. Your home is surrounded and we have you outnumbered a hundred to one. If you surrender now, you will live out your remaining days next to your dear old father in the Sunless Trench, and we may yet permit Alice and her hellspawn, as well as your wrinkled hag of a mother to live!”

“I vote to fight,” Alice said. “For our home and for our children. But I understand if you want to surrender yourself to them; I’ll mount a rescue effort. What do you want to do?”

Last edited:
He cast a smile in her direction as he held the face shield of his armor in his hands, his brown eyes dancing over her features and her own armor.

”You know, I really hate that thing. It needs an overhaul, not just around the belly area. Then again, I think you look better in nothing at all, so....”

He quipped, a gauntleted hand tipping outward, palm up. Tucking the face shield under his arm, he gently pulled her closer as she spoke, leaning in, he planted a kiss on her forehead, nose and then lips before letting his forehead rest against hers.

”So be it. Let’s save the world, hmm?”

Granted, he wasn’t so sure they’d be able to but it was worth a try, right? Drawing in a breath, he kissed her once more before straightening and stepping back, lifting the shield, he attached it and left it raised for the moment.

Her words stopped him, a smirk twitching against the corners of his lips as he turned back to her. He had no doubt she’d launch a rescue mission, none at all.

”When have you ever seen me back down? I’m not going to surrender to that little prick....or my sister. Let’s go.”

Holding his hand out to her, he took it and led the way to the door. Once they stepped out, his gaze slid over the forces that stood against him and then found and focused on Taron.

”A thousand to one, hmm? Then it’s an even fight, and we accept your surrender, Taron....but we’ll take your head if we must.”

He drew the shield down and stepped forward, stepping in front of Alice initially. Willing to again take the first round of attack they knew was coming.

Alice looked over her armor again and nodded. “Yeah, I hate it too, and not just because it brings back bad memories.” The Golem armor had been a marvel of Imperial engineering. Extremely durable even under thousands of tons of ocean water, capable of tripling the user’s strength, yet highly lightweight and speedy. All this combined made them some of the deadliest warriors in world history.

But the downside of all these exoskeleton braces was that it was indeed very tight around the midsection. Alice was lithe and only 25, but not nearly skin and bones as she had been when she first was shoved into this frame at 18, and so it was getting harder and harder to squeeze into it. A problem that would only get worse once her womb swelled with life.

Rumors that she’d been tracing for years now that suggested that there were more salacious reasons for designing female Golem armor to be more form fitting than the greater variations of male versions of the same, and that several officers in the Army and Navy had taken advantage of that fact definitely tracked for her...

In any event, she replied, “Well, I’ve designed a rough idea of what I want to replace my old armor. But integrating components from my gauntlet and storage for weapons and ammo and allowing me to have more room to breathe while keeping the frame as light as possible, as well as modular enough so I can expand the armor when I expand, is a significant engineering challenge that I haven’t gotten around to tackling yet. Hopefully you and Octavia can collaborate with me on such, once we save them...and maybe the world too.”

She said that last part with a wink and then appreciated that he took the time to kiss her, as well as nodded at his refusal to surrender. That short, loving series of gestures imbued her with more strength than any armor or weapons ever could.

And when they both stepped out of the doorway of the mansion to face the music, she knew he would do his best to keep her safe, not out of some false sense of chivalry, but because he truly loved her and their children above all else. That was when she knew that not even the end of the world would be able to tear them apart.

“Somehow, I knew that would be your answer, you stubborn, cheating asshole,” Taron snarled, still not forgiving Adamaris for, in his eyes, coasting through military school when they were younger due to his princely status and cheating. “Now you, your mother, your murderess fiancée, and your half-breed abominations will all die!”

Alice soon spotted the five dragons flying towards them in an attempt, she reasoned, to land near them and then burn them all to a crisp. With that, she whispered, “I hope your armor has good protection for your ears, love” and then bellowed in her Darkness voice, “Threatening my children will be the last mistake you ever make. RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!”

Filled with a rage topping all of the abuse, war, and grief she had ever felt, she let out the infamous female Golem shriek, shattering many of the windows across the mansion.

Anyone could say what they liked about the Caledorian Empire, but the Imperials had perfected the art of sonic warfare. The eelmen and dragons were disoriented due to their heightened sense of hearing, leaving about half of Taron’s forces temporarily incapacitated. Many of the elves soiled their armor in terror and fled. Taron dealt with those deserters with his newly created namesake Taron morphing lightning rifle, and thereby kept the rest in line.

Meanwhile, the merfolk were infuriated by the reminder of the Battle of Sanctuary Trench and charged them both, blasting away with energy weapons. Alice’s blood seemed entirely replaced by adrenaline as she took cover and there was more than the usual temptation to snap, as she discovered that another source of the raw, chthonic power she was cursed with lay within her unborn children who would soon be born with it too, the wordless cries for their mother in their unformed minds and souls amplifying her rage and potentially pushing the limits of her Darkness powers. But she knew she had to be careful; if she gave in now, she might lose her reason completely. Become the murderer Elizabeth had wanted her to be and that everyone in that courtroom thought she was.

Still, blood regrettably had to be spilt on her home this dark day.

And it would hers or theirs.

She chose theirs.

Then she charged, and those who hadn’t fought a Golem before realized why they were so feared. The Imperial combat doctrine of “Attack Till Death” dictated that offense was also the best defense, and if a retreat needed to be made, then that must be temporary and also be accompanied by an attack on someone, whether that be the original target or someone else. Speed, precision aim, and momentum were thus highly prized.

Alice demonstrated all three when she latched onto a merman’s face with her grappling hook and reeled herself in to land on his head, and in the process of jumping off of it pull his head and spine out with her grappling line.

Alice’s military reflexes kicked in as she sailed through the air past streams of plasma fire and spells, threw the enemy’s head stuffed with a grenade with one hand, and rained hot rivets down upon them with the other. Next, she grappled onto the top floor of the mansion, did a wall run along the side, put away her rivet gun, and dive bombed a group of eelmen as she removed her scattergun from her basket.

Just before she could make her ground slam attack, however, one of the dragons that was no longer disoriented dived down, grabbed her in one of its talons, and threw her against one of the exterior stone walls with a roar.

The impact of the rocks hurt but her armor and equipment was thankfully undamaged, and she could grit her teeth and ignore the pain. Alice stabbed an eelman that jumped her with her extractor needle, absorbing its power in her suit’s left arm while also blasting away another eelman with a powerful boom of her scattergun. She then saw all five dragons hover over her and prepare to burn her to a crisp as she charged her lightning attack and picked up another version of her old speargun from an eelman corpse. No doubt confiscated long ago from a dead Golem.

That was when the telltale howl of a plane was heard again and Octavia yelled, “Did ya miss me, babe?” as she dispersed the dragons with thousands of bullets from her chaingun that miraculously missed Alice.

Alice had so many questions, namely about what happened to John and the girls, but Octavia pulled up and let the dragons chase her to get them away from the ground fighting. Meanwhile, Alice fried a group of foot soldiers with lightning and then charged again to regroup with Jareth as she noticed that several enemies were streaming inside the house through the broken windows to flank him, and presumably find and kill a defenseless Ianassa.

Last edited:
Truth was, despite his princely status or maybe it had been because of it, he’d busted his ass. Always trying to impress, of all people, his father. He had wanted to prove that he didn’t need his father’s help to climb ranks in the Aquarian army or anywhere else for that matter. Taron had part of it right though, Jareth was stubborn. Just that part of it though. People were going to die but it wouldn’t be anyone Taron had listed.

He glanced at Alice to his left, a smirk evident even though it was unseen, hidden by his armor but not the tone of his voice.

”Well, I have to get used to getting yelled at anyways......let’s give a try.”

While he hadn’t made the headpiece resistant to sound as such, it did muffle the sound of the sonic scream but still rattled him in his very armor regardless.

Take cover he did not. Even with her scream muffled, he was a little thrown off as well, something he’d have to fix in his armor later, clearly.

Just as the remaining mass of soldiers began to descend upon the pair of them, he was moving....forward. His sights set on only one. The one that had threatened his family, Taron himself.

Plasma, rivets, fire, it all rained over him. His armor denting but holding steady. As a bed of eelmen descended on him, trying to stop his forward motion. The group realized too late that such close quarters was not the place to be.

The metallic click of the talon like gauntlet went unheard in the rage of voices and chaos that had fallen on Palaidia Hall grounds. The dying screams of the elite Olsekian forces joined the cachophony as the talons rent through their armor and flesh before they knew what had ahold of them. Leaving gaping, bleeding wounds as their bodies fell. Jareth was moving forward again even before the last of that group had fallen, Taron in his sights again.

A roar shook the ground beneath his feet. A blast of burning heat ignited as the dragon swooped low, laying a line of flames between he and Taron. As the beast reared back to let loose another rain of fiery hell, this time directly aimed at Jareth, his left hand rose....the mini-cannon attached, locked and loaded.

Just as he got a shot off, he felt a body slam into his back. Knocking him forward and nearly off balance, even in his armor. The cannon shot barely grazed the wing of the dragon. Just enough to piss her off and sent her circling into the sky.

Jareth turned to see Taron stalking in his direction, ready for another attack. Hand to hand was just fine with him. He’d relish beating the snot nosed prick into the damned ground. He’d always thought Taron needed a good ass whooping anyway.

If it was a fight the General wanted with the former General, a fight he would get. Jareth sneered beneath his mask and charged toward Taron, the ground shaking slightly with each crashing step. Taron paused, his eyes narrowing as he assessed the situation. Jareth was foolishly coming to him, enraged. Good boy. Taron thought and smirked, giving him the clearer advantage of thinking clearly and precisely. He stood his ground and blasted the traitor below the belt with a shot from his lightening gun.

Jareth’s forward motion ceased, the ground shook no more as the heavy armor crashed upon it in his pursuit. He felt the shock wave through his entire being, a rattle inside his shell as the armor locked up from the electrical current.

”Little man, in a tin can. How are you going to cheat your way out of this, Princess?”

Taron chuckled drawing both, the scimitar and plasma firestaff, tsking as he drew closer to the immobile Prince.

”I’m going to put you down, like your father should have done ages ago.”

A growl rumbled beneath the armors mask as Jareth listened, watching Taron move leisurely closer. He only hoped that the emergency power supply he’d switched on kicked in, sooner rather than later. He’d find out soon enough. As Taron raised the scimitar, still spouting taunts, he held it, letting Jareth get a good look at his death to come as the fire glinted off the blade.

”Maybe I should wait, bring the bitch that spit you out up here and let her watch as I abort you, the same way I’m going to ab.....”

The blast from the mini cannon came hard, fast and unexpected. Cutting Taron off before he could finish as it dented the center of his chest and sent him sprawling back off his land legs. Winded and slightly disoriented. He barely had time to come to his senses before he felt Jareth’s weight and the heavy fist that met his armored face. Again and again.

Jareth was out for blood and knocking Taron’s head around inside his armor wouldn’t produce what he wanted. As his fist met Taron’s face a fourth time, it was with the talons of his gauntlet embedding at the forehead before he peeled part of it away. He heard Taron’s scream as a talon tip tore an angry red line from just under the eye and down his cheek. Jareth tossed the ruined armor aside. Taron grunted, swinging the scimitar up, trying to at least defend himself from the pummel of iron fists that rained down upon his exposed and unexposed face.

Jareth could have easily lost himself in the satisfaction of flattening Taron’s head with his fists. The thought of stabbing the eye that stared out at him and pulling it from its socket danced through his head and as he pulled his right hand back, the soft tick of metal as the talons engaged was heard through the ringing in Taron’s ears.

A primal need for survival kicked in and he shoved the scimitar up and under Jareth’s chin, the flat blackened metal blade kissing the Prince’s armor and knocking him off kilter, providing the chance to shift his body beneath Jareth and knock him completely off of him as he rolled away. Adding insult to injury, he swung the firestaff as he rolled, the plasma blade slicing cleanly through part of Jareth’s armor at his shoulder. The tip of it cutting into Jareth’s flesh before knocking the mini cannon from his arm as well. The arm piece slid cleanly off, once the shoulder piece and cannon had been dislodged, leaving his arm exposed. Jareth rolled onto his back, drawing his left arm against him. Air hissing through his teeth as the burning pain rocketed through his arm. Thankfully, the plasma has cauterized the wound as it had sliced through his skin but it still hurt like a bitch.

He watched Taron crawling, trying to regain his senses but the howl above drew his attention skyward. He knew that sound and he followed it, watching as Octavia swooped in, cutting down the fiery beasts descending on Alice. As his head swiveled to watch, he saw commotion near the door and blown out windows of the mansion behind them but had little time to dwell on it as movement from Taron’s direction drew his attention back just in time to see the General had gained some semblance of his feet and was charging toward him.

”Fuck....”

He muttered, himself scrambling to get onto his knees, scooping some smoldering ash into right hand, standing slowly as if to greet Taron’s charge head on. When the other man had gotten close enough, he threw the hot ash, aiming directly for the exposed eye that glared with murderous intent at him.

Taron’s wail of pain stopped him in his tracks, his legs giving out on him, weapons dropping as a hand flew to his partially exposed face as he writhed at Jareth’s feet in blinding pain.

Jareth stood briefly over his fallen enemy, wanting so badly to finish him for good but he wanted to take his time. Something he didn’t have much of at the moment. Instead, he reached down, grabbing Taron by the ankle and jerking his full body from the ground before hurling him, angrily, toward the steel wall that surrounded the property. He activated the steel fishnet, trapping Taron beneath it for the time being.

”I’ve got other fish to fry.....”

He chuckled and pat Taron’s dented chest, hard.

”Don’t go anywhere.”

He snarled before turning and making his way quickly back toward the house. Ripping an oil lamp from the ground on his charge toward the door, once he was through it, he started swinging.

As Jareth was battling his old classroom rival, Alice was running low on ammunition for all her weapons. And she could only skewer so many eelmen at once while also fending off or dodging spells and plasma from the horde of elves and merfolk surrounding her. That crowd only seemed to get bigger as the house was completely ransacked by the invaders.

Then she heard many of the slithering abominations banging on the door to the laboratory. It would hold for a while, but if even one of them broke through or even one tooth pierced Alice’s armor...then Ianassa would be defenseless.

Her future mother-in-law...no...her mother was at risk.

She wished there was any other choice.

Shadow washed over Alice, all the oil lamps in the mansion burst and were snuffed out, and when the smoke from their fires cleared, an eldritch horror stood in Alice’s place.

And then roared to foretell their doom.

Alice dismembered dozens of them with her bare hands, threw one from each hand after lifting them by the throat, and summoned shadowy versions of her revolver, rivet gun, super scattergun, and speargun that laid waste to many of the rest without the need of ammunition. Of this world, anyway.

Perhaps Jareth saw all this, and perhaps he didn’t. Either way, he had an impossible choice to make.

Alice had actually made one modification to her armor, one that Jareth had complete control over. If she ever totally lost control and began to attack anyone she cared about, Alice had instructed Jareth to flip a switch in his armor that would send a small electrospectra signal to her own, and as a result trigger a massive electric shock, locking the Golem armor in maintenance mode. This would thereby trap Alice inside until she either calmed down and returned to her normal self...

...or mangled herself to death in her attempts to escape the confines of unmoving armor. So, while there was a good chance that this device would snap Alice out of her fugue, it could also mean the end for her and the children. But Alice had explained that it was worth the risk to avert insanity on a potentially cosmic scale.

But before anything was decided, loud thuds shook the ground and Palaidia’s steel walls, along with much of the stone work of the house, were blasted apart by the cannons of four Goliaths that stomped onto Jareth’s yard. Then each of the machines’ sonic reprojection horns blared different voices.

“Dragons at 11 o’clock!”

“Hold.”

“But sir, they’re coming right for us.”

“I said hold! The Empire will never yield!”

“When do we...?”

“NOW!”

One of the Goliaths fired their ordnance too late and had their cabin slammed into by a dragon, whereupon the fallen weapon platform’s whale oil tanks exploded, knocked over more of the wall and an entire block of houses across the street, and roasted beast and vehicle alike. Another blasted a dragon with a cannon shot, sending the monster into the ground and crushing her rider and a whole division of elves beneath her. Still another worked with Octavia’s plane to shred a third dragon’s wings with bullets.

The other two dragonriders decided, along with what remained of Taron’s raiding party, that retreat was a wiser course. As for Taron himself, the flexible dampfsteel that had once ensnared him was now mangled, smoldering from cannon fire, and devoid of a body.

Alice’s helmet was cracked, her left eye now back to its usual green after she was thrown on her back from the explosions. As she scrambled to her feet and began clearing debris in the emptied battlefield that used to be their mansion, only one thing was on the detective’s mind. Only one name on her lips.

“Jareth! JARETH? JAREEEETH!”

Without so much as another word, the three remaining Goliaths all lit their searchlights and began sweeping the grounds with them.

Last edited:
At the door to the basement, he came face to face with the darkness, a darkness that he was still trying to get used to that was in part.....his wife. His Alli-cat. He had no choice but to see her as she filled the doorway in all her dark glory.

His forward motion ceased as he stared at her. Not in awe but not in fear either, even as he held the extinguished and bloodied torch at the defensive. He stared. Watching, waiting, wondering what her next move would be. What would his own be once hers was made?

In a sudden aggressive snarl, he slammed the torch backward, impaling two advancing enemies, regardless of the fact that they were after Alice and not him.

”Move....”

He barked at the thing that had been his Queen just moments ago. And then, in a lower tone, pleading.

”...Please, baby.”

He really didn’t want to flip that switch. Frankly, he wasn’t so sure that he could. She thought the risk was worth it, he on the other hand still hadn’t come to terms with that as much as she had. He could potentially lose not only her but the babies....that all rested in his own hands and he just wasn’t sure he could. He was by far more certain that he’d rather die himself than lose all of them in one fell swoop.

He heard her snarl. Whether it was directly at him or at the approaching enemy was left for one to wonder but as soon as she had moved, Jareth started down the stairs. A little over half way down when the thud and shift of ground and foundation threw him forward, pitching the heavy iron suit and its inhabitant down the remainder of the stairs and nearly into the jaws of an eelman. He used the momentum to his advantage and let himself roll, knocking over a score of the nasty beasts. Unfortunately, it put himself at a slight disadvantage as well. Being grounded wasn’t where you wanted to be with the slithery, ugly abominations. Many swarmed him, even as he swung his talented arm, slicing through a good few of them. If he didn’t get to his feet, he’d be in a world of hurt, having only one arm to really defend himself with.

He rolled and as he did, he got his unarmored arm beneath him, his fingers pressing against the softly glowing center of his chest. A shot of steam blasted from the back of his suit. An acidic Pneumo spraying up into the gnashing maws of the eelman that wouldn’t relent on their attack.

It was the sound, the whistle that emanated from the circular device, however, that had the true desired affect. Something he’d been working on, with Octavia’s suggestion and guidance and unbeknownst to Alice, only because he hadn’t had time really to tell her.

Above, a squadron of six swooped low. Metallic shrieks blanketing over the lawn turned battlefield. Xen ridden falcons joined the fight. Two breaking off from the formation, the most loyal of his Xen’s in search of Jareth and the call that had activated them. One landing at the foot of the basement stairs, the other swooping further down and past Jareth himself. The pair clashed with eelman, destroying the soldiers with claws of steel. Tearing holes in their bodies and leaving them in pools of blood as Jareth managed to rise to his feet. Taking on those that remained and continued to ram against the door to the laboratory where his mother hid.

The beasts had managed to tear a hole in the door, just wide enough for an eelman to stick his head through. Foolishly. The last of them falling back, unmoving as the very extractor needle that had killed Amara bobbed softly as the body hit the ground, right between its eyes where Ianassa had lodged it.

As mother and son made their way up the debris strewn stone steps, Jareth removed first the faceplate and then the rest of the head covering of his armor and could clearly hear the frantic call of his name. His already pounding heart skipped a single beat and he opened his mouth to answer, only to find that exhaustion and the settling dust bit harshly into his throat and he could, at the moment, barely croak out an answer.

His unarmored arm curled around his mother’s back, clutching onto her as she held him steady. A spotlight falling upon the pair just as they reached what was left of the Parlor and Jareth collapsed back against a pile of rubble where the couch used to be. A hand rising to block the bright of the light that held him in its beam for a moment too long for his liking.

”Over here, Alice.”

Ianassa called out to the girl.

”It’s about time they arrived.....”

Jareth murmured behind his mother, meaning the arrival of the Goliaths of course. Even as he searched the rubble beside him, producing the small box that contained his smoking pipe and a bit of sweetgrass. A quiet snort escaped him at the fact that it had survived the battle, barely but survived it had. Brushing it off, he looked up to see Alice rushing toward them.

His eyes said so much. He was glad to see her. Her and not the dark monstrosity that had blocked his way earlier. Not the thing he’d feared he’d have to lock down with his Queen and their children. He was so glad he hadn’t made the decision to do just that. He was glad she’d managed to control it. He was glad that this fight was over, for now and that they’d all come out on the better side of it. He hoped they all had anyways.

As much as Alice wanted to believe that she’d regained control of her faculties, it had taken all of her mental fortitude, physical injury, and love in her being and then some to instead barely outrun her demons while also defeating the endless horde of eelmen. She was not used to having to do that so often in such a relatively short amount of time. That meant when she smiled, eyes watering with relief at Jareth and Ianassa’s safety, she also staggered down the stairs in exhaustion, cheeks streaking from her tears of effort.

Alice heard everything her beloved told her with his eyes, and then she closed her own and utterly surrendered to his embrace, nestling her face into the crook of her arm and his right shoulder at the same time. A moment later, she heard Octavia telling them both she was departing to look for John, but was so strung out and enervated that she didn’t register a word the engineer said, just nodded vaguely.

And while Alice Guthrie hung here, a mess of noodle limbs and yet with a heart made of cables strung too tight, she imagined what she might say if she was cogent. And even so, it would be whispered, puffed from her heart’s voice, and reinforced by her wrapping herself around him, becoming his second armor.

That if this meant war, if it meant the end of the world...

...then she had found no better squadmate.

Last edited:
There was a soft grunt, the air passing his lips and mingled with the faint, sound of a brief, strained chuckle as she threw her arms around him. Even her smaller frame crashing against his made him feel considerably older than he actually was, from being jostled around inside the tin can of his armor. He could feel each and every bruise as they screamed angrily at him. None of that mattered. It was far better the physical pain than the mental anguish he could have been suffering, had things gone differently.

His arms slid around Alice as she nestled against him, drawing her closer still. His cheek resting against the crown of her head, despite the dust and dirt and sweat, her hair pressed against his flesh was the softest thing in the world to him in that moment, the flesh of her arm where it rested against his own flesh, the warmest. If he closed his eyes, he could pretend it was just the two of them. However, Octavia’s voice brought his eyes open and he stared at her, quietly and merely nodded acknowledgement and a silent plea to bring his best friend home safe as well.

As she disappeared from his line of sight, his gaze was drawn toward the wall he’d left Taron shackled against. The stark reality that not only had this all very much indeed happened but that it was not over settled in his eyes, his lips falling open in an aggravated sigh as he stared at the empty space where enemy and wall had been.

”Fucking great....”

He murmured, his head dipping, lips pressing against Alice’s temple as a hand dropped to pick up his smoking pipe again. He kept his arms around her, even as he shifted and moved slightly, lighting it. He offered it to Alice first and then his mother before he’d use it himself.

Ianassa stood by silently, watching and waiting, listening. Quietly observing as things began to settle, as much as they could given the circumstances. Watched as the Goliath’s search lights extinguished once her and Jareth appeared. Nodded silently in Octavia’s direction before she left to find John.

She waved off her son’s offer of his pipe and gave the pair a moment longer before she spoke.

”We can’t sleep up here. There’s more than enough space in the lab. We should go there.”

She spoke with all the regal grace she could afford. She was tired and she knew her son and daughter in law were by far more worn than she was. She also knew, there was nothing else that could be done at that moment. They all just needed to regroup and take stock in the morning.

She turned and started toward the basement stairs, waiting only briefly for the two of them. Stepping over fallen eelmen as she once again returned to her place of refuge just a short time ago.

Sleep was something that could ill be afforded most anywhere in Radiant right now, now that most of the whale oil heating was gone and the only warmth was the series of fires that raged across most of the city and denied anyone peace. Soldiers and emergency responders who were guarding the ruins of Palaidia Hall tried to keep warm in Goliaths or what few enclosed rooms remained. The enemy soldiers left behind by their fellows as the Confederates were forced to retreat hid in the sewers, fending off monsters, philter infected humans, and search parties.

And most of all, so, so many children would know only the repeated sounds of air sirens and dragon roars in what furtive dreams they could get tonight. If they could sleep at all. If their parents or other relatives were still alive to soothe them into at least some form of unconsciousness.

Alice wanted to give her all to save as many of those children as she could, for she knew all their pain from her years on these bitter, cold streets that were now filled with rubble. And that reminded her that Rose was still missing, that Octavia was looking for John, that Elizabeth was still alive, still in control of Edward, and plotting to use him and her thralls to infect anyone who stood in her way...

But her body could not take one more step by itself. She couldn’t even summon the energy to take off her armor. All she said to his lament was:

“I know.”

More like sighed, as if her thoughts deflated out of her lungs like the gas in a hot air balloon. Then she leaned against Jareth’s bigger suit, took a whiff of the pipe to help her forget what she’d seen and done in the throes of a sweetgrass fever dream, and once they were both downstairs, passed out on the same laboratory bed she’d made love to Octavia in.

Last edited:
Despite the ache in his bones, he helped both his fiancée and his mother down the stone steps, back to the basement and laboratory. The grand bedroom was in shambles and he’d be damned if he’d instruct his mother to sleep in her room on the second floor where, while still intact, it was unsafe. On their way down, he instructed the Xen’s to keep the soldiers in the Goliath’s fed and in warm spirits, since they would be hanging around and keeping guard over what remained of Palaidia Hall.

Below all the rubble and despite the hole in the door, here is where they’d lay their heads for the night. Ianassa offered a sigh as she entered, dragging a cot over toward the soft glow of the aquarium. Settling in as dolphins tapped their noses in greeting against the glass, the Royal turned tired eyes to watch Jareth and Alice across the room. A wain smile dancing over her lips as she watched her son tenderly tending to his bride-to-be, despite his own pain and lethargy. He was more like his father than he realized, perhaps.

Jareth paused half way through helping Alice from her suit, a hand stroking lazily down her cheek. A quiet peck of a kiss against her temple before shrugging the suit the rest of the way from her slender form. The gentle roam of his hand pausing against her belly, a tired and dopey, drug induced smile twitching the corners of his lips.

As he climbed from his own suit of armor, with her help and climbed instead into the small cot with Alice, that smile hid a deep and nagging fear. A fear that crept into the slumber that eventually consumed them all.

His hand curled around Alice from behind, draping over her stomach and holding her gently against him, even as the dark and dismal images flickered through his sleeping brain. Subconsciously worrying how her earlier display of darkness could or would affect not only his fiancée but the babies in her belly.

As tired as he was, his mind refused to rest fully. Not only was he concerned with Alice’s darkness but....somewhere deep, leaving him wondering if it was real or not, he could hear Meredydd calling for help and something in him felt guilty.

Just before Alice finally succumbed to sleep, she felt her fiancé’s strong hands across her lower belly. She interlaced her fingers in his own and pressed them against her abdomen. She knew that her display of primal rage had possibly shaken his faith in her, that had so tenuously been rebuilt to begin with. So she vowed to keep her Darkness pushed down even more if at all possible, and hoped with this simple gesture to show Jareth how seriously she took her love for him, and for the children growing inside her.

And instead of the nightmares she worried would happen, in her mind she stood atop a hill under a tree lit by the moon, and while bathed in its cool light, she defied all the suffering and pain weighing on her heart by creating and playing a violin composition to uplift her. To summon the strength within her that she’d used to survive life on the streets, sexual assault, years in the Army, and many an intense battle with hardened criminals. She still wasn’t sure if it was enough. But she had to try and hold it together, because there was no other choice.

And if she wouldn’t stand tall for herself, she would do it for her family.

The next morning, as their Goliaths stood watch and witnessed a blue light day with the smaller sun’s rise, the soldiers gathered around Alice’s Autocorder. It, along with the other machines purchased from the RAISE fairgrounds by Jareth, had miraculously survived the destruction wrought upon Palaidia Hall, giving them some cheer. And now they tuned it to hear the world’s first live broadcast of a speech from a head of state, via the spectra station at the park that had also survived.

A restless Alice, her stomach rumbling from pregnancy cravings, went upstairs to fix breakfast for herself and also heard the speech.

“My citizens,” Henry said. “Loyal members of my Empire. Fellow Caledorians. Yesterday, I thought that I would only have to bear the loss of my mother. I knew I would not be alone in mourning her, for she was Emily Regina, our Scientist Princess, beloved by you all, and I knew you would all grieve her as would be your right. But I wished all my tears away on the night of her death and hoped my time at RAISE the morning after would bring joy, even though I had to relate terrible news. Sadly, last night, you and I all came to bear a different, more painful type of loss, one that has brought a terrible specter over our nation.

“The Little Radiant neighborhood of Olseka has been flooded by royal fiat, drowning uncountable numbers of our innocent friends and loved ones in their sleep. Our neighbors in the Alliance are in disarray after the overthrow of Midvadir’s young Sultan, Nakia bin Iben Karadeniz, and the installation of Iron Commander Yusef Qadir by the Ananki Confederation. And I stand before you atop, by our earliest estimates, the hallowed resting place of a hundred thousand souls, torn from us too soon.

“What happened here last night was not war. It was slaughter. Slaughter on a barbaric scale, carried out in secret at night by cowardly elves and merfolk, against unarmed civilians, in a brazen attempt to seize the World Rim Railway! And this after the show trial of one of our own in Olseka.”

Alice winced at the very fresh memory memory of nearly being sentenced to death for the blood she’d been ordered to put on her hands. And now her trial was being politicized, as she’d feared it would be.

“But like our world’s twin suns, the dawn of a new day has exposed the facts of their treachery; and facts, my compatriots, have never failed to side with science, with progress, with the Empire before! If they want a trial like the one they gave our greatest detective, then history will rule against them.

“Both nations and their people have hated and feared not just Caledoria, but all humanity for millennia. Time and again, all manner of creature has tried to destroy us. This is no different. And so, I say again unto you, what happened last night was not war. It was genocide!

“If, however, the weapon of choice had at least been, for instance, some manner of dark spell, at least we could say the dead did not suffer. But those animals did not show mercy. I heard a harrowing story this morning from one boy who was separated from his mother by the closing blast doors of his local UnderTram station and saw her roasted alive by the hellfire of one of the foul beasts that elves ride like savages while he cried out for her. And I have heard too many others like it. My heart breaks for all of them.

“But the Empire has never been one to yield before, and we will not back down now. For that little boy, and for all others who like him have been wronged, we must fight on, for we are the monsters that eat monsters. And there is already cause for hope. Our brave men and women in the Imperial Armed Forces and the RCPD have driven the invading horde back into the sea! Even now, I see much progress in the rebuilding. The mer flu pandemic that was released by merfolk to poison us and is overtaking the world is still contained in this city! And the enemy will beg at our feet when they see our Great Steam Fleet, that alas arrived too late to protect Radiant, but WILL AVENGE HER!”

At this point the airships and planes that, unbeknownst to Alice, Jareth had seen in his dreams suddenly appeared over the horizon, the fires of their lights cutting through the darkness, and their mass nearly blotting out both the suns as a thousand Goliaths marched on the streets. It left her rooted to the spot with fear.

“Still, they have left us no choice. It is with a heavy heart that I declare total war against the Confederation and Kingdom and have reached an agreement with the exiled Alliance Council to assume ultimate security responsibility for its member states. I wish I could tell you that what comes next will be easy, or that victory is assured. But I will not lie to you; neither of those things are true.

“If we are to scatter their kind from our shores, then we must be willing to take drastic measures and to bear many sacrifices. The remainder of RAISE has been cancelled; many businesses that spread disease will close; the Senate will be suspended, along with the election of the Popular Representative, for the duration of the emergency, and it; food and other goods will be rationed; and all who can fight or support the war in other ways must do so. Elves, merfolk, and other nonhumans who wish to reside in our great Empire must report to their local authorities for loyalty tests.

“But I promise you, if you support me, if you support our brave soldiers, I will discharge my sacred duty to protect as many of you, human or not, as I can, and I will execute this war with all my might, with the goal of the unconditional surrender of our foes. And even if this is to be our last fight, our Final War, the endgame for humanity, then the story of our nation’s bravery and determination as we fought for freedom will outlive us all!”

“Coda. I’m too late,” Alice sighed under her breath. “You will answer for it all, you damn fools!” she yelled, condemning the world’s corrupt leaders for sending millions to their deaths. She didn’t necessarily blame the Emperor himself, but he was young, naive, clearly pushed into this by circumstances and shadowy interests out of his control, and now about to inflame xenophobia on a horrifying scale.

“Now, we must all bare. Our. Fangs! Set a fire in your hearts! Fight hard! Die well. This is your Emperor, signing off.”

Alice did have to give him credit. Despite all her misgivings about this, young Henry certainly knew how to give one hell of a speech. He sounded so authoritative that if she didn’t know he’d just ascended to the throne yesterday, she certainly wouldn’t have guessed it.

“Colonel Guthrie?” one of the Goliath pilots asked. Alice smirked; she hadn’t been called that in a lifetime. “We just got word. The Emperor will be here soon.” That was borne out by the wild sounds the scroll station was making as it printed out the relevant message.

“What’s your name, young miss?” Alice asked calmly, even though she was only seven years senior to this woman by her guess.

“Sergeant Paige Atkins, Acting Captain of Meteor Company, ma’am!” she cried, standing stiff as a board.

“At ease, Private,” Alice chuckled. “Thank you, and all of you”- waving to the other soldiers- “for your brave defense of our house last night in the face of overwhelming odds. If the Emperor calls me back into duty, as is his right, I will ask to serve in Meteor Company”- since as Paige explained their previous commanding officer had died in the Raid on Radiant, as it was coming to be called, leaving an opening- “and will serve proudly by your side. But there is one thing I wish I’d learned sooner that you would do well to heed. If my experiences during the Surabamba Rebellion and my time as a Golem at Sanctuary Trench taught me one thing, it is that an unjust order is no order at all. We are soldiers in a professional army, not murderers for hire; sentient beings capable of reason and compassion, not animals consuming mindlessly with tooth and claw.

“Therefore, I implore you all to steel yourselves to do what is right above what is expedient, even if you have to risk everything to make a stand. I know this Empire is capable of great technological and humanitarian feats, but our history is too often stained by bloodshed for power’s sake. I hope that, if we prevail, we will take this opportunity to set a better example to the rest of the world than we have in the past.”

“And that’s the kind of thinking I need in the Army during this troubled time, as opposed to the crusty, doddering old so-and-so’s who gathered dust under my mother, even tried to overthrow her once upon a time,” Henry said from behind her as he descended from his Goliath, making the startled detective spin around and all the soldiers stand resolute. “Colonel, I cannot waste your deductive talents on the battlefield, I’m afraid, especially in your...condition, but how would you like to be my Supreme Commander, as well as have Meteor Company, and the crew of the Continental-class gunship Sun Cutter to go with it, at your personal disposal?”

“I...”

“Oh, by all means, take your time and think it over. In the meantime, may I ask where your husband to be is? I need to speak with him personally.”

Last edited:
Jareth stepped from the shadowy depths of the basement stairs. His eyes boring holes in the Emperor. There was something just beneath the hardened glare though, as if the older man was searching himself in a mirror, searching for something lost long ago. A youth that slipped away at some point.

This was his house though and as he approached the younger man that had come up into his home as if he owned it, Jareth’s lips set in a straight line as he stopped just a breath away from the boy royale.

“No. She has other, more pressing obligations.”

Jareth’s voice was gruff and low, deadly serious and paying no mind to what Alice’s reaction might be to those words. Instead, holding Henry in his gaze, he swept a hand out toward the hall just beyond the kitchen. Indicating for the kid to make way, that way.

When he returned, Jareth was quiet. Perhaps brooding. While conversation with Alice or his mother was kept short, it was calm but still he seemed out of sorts, perhaps. As if he were processing not only what had happened here at Palaidia still but his private conversation with the Emperor.

The eerie quietness in him followed into the next day. At Ianassa’s urging, the pair were now riding in a comfortable silence. The World Rim Railway train taking them away from the devastation and destruction of their home, to a place they could hopefully begin piecing some of it back together, in their heart, body and mind at the very least.

Jareth held Alice beneath his arm, fingers stroking quietly, lovingly through her hair as she rested against him. His brooding hadn’t let up though, not as had hoped, especially with his mother’s stubborn insistence on going back home instead of accompanying them to Stormaway Beach. He had a bad feeling about it but the Queen could not, would not be swayed. Alice would see....where Jareth got much of his stubbornness from.

A soft sigh escaped him as the train came to a stop, the hiss and groan expressing much of his deepest feelings in that moment. With a soft kiss to the crown of Alice’s head, he drew his arm from around her and stood, holding his hand out to help her up from her seat.

”Let’s go forget everything, hmm?”

The curl of his lips twitched. Trying to be cheeky and failing. It was clearly evident that forgetting wasn’t an option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom