Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Jeziah's eyes popped open at the familiar voice, and his head lolled back, giving him a lazy smile, "Wasn't what I was expecting...but I'll take it."

As the chains fell away he rubbed his wrists before staggering to his feet, "Wish I could burn them kid, I do. But sending the atronach to you for that letter has drained a good portion of me, and I need to save the rest for my baby sister. I was surprised to even see you in town. Have you heard what has happened?"

Kai shook his head and Jeziah's eyes softened a bit, "Return with me to the group. Seraphina has been ashed, she is dead. Elaya must be in grieving and I fear the rest of the group is weak. They need you. More than the busty sheriff does."

Kai's eyes widened and his face fell. It was obvious he knew nothing of this news as his hands balled into fists, "Then we best be off. Heads are going to roll for what they are doing to us."

He looked up at the door, rolling his shoulders, "Agreed. I can become flame and be out fast, but they will know I'm gone. Will you be able to escape quickly too?"

Kai nodded and Jeziah stumbled closer to the door, his feet unbalanced, "I'd also love to lodge a complaint, maybe eve file a charge with that sexy lover of yours. I'm pretty sure these guys broke a few rules since they kidnapped me. Well, and they kidnapped me."

Winking and grinning he burst into flame, disintegrating his clothing as he pushed forward, slamming against the door and breaking it open, then out of the saloon and into the night air. He did not stop till he was at the edge of town, looking back to make sure Kai had followed.

Kai had not. He had snagged some of the gel when it caught fire in it's jar, and now he hurled it into the midst of the liquor. Then he ran.

He shifted as he ran and just when glass began to explode a rabbit dove out of the bar and ran straight toward Reno, leaping and striking her in the chest and knocking her onto her butt as the basement suddenly ignited in flames. The saloon was protected but that did not stop the flames from forcing everyone out to escape them.

The town rushed to help while Kai whispered everything into his lover's ear. her eyes darkened and he kissed her neck, then shifted again and took off after Jeziah. "That should make things...interesting for Mr. Nickens."

~

It was still raining over the farm, and Elaya was still weeping uncontrollably. She could see no reason to go on. No reason to continue living. Sera. Sera was gone.

Jeziah watched the flames with a grin, clapping Kai on the back when he got near, "Nicely done. Now let's get going. Elaya and the group need us. Race you there."

He turned to flame again and danced forward, leaving Kai to play catch up. The young shifter turned into a hawk and soared forward, catching up quick as they both weaved through the trees. It wasn't long before they reached the edge of the farm and Jeziah reformed, then suddenly was clothed, much like Kai. He too had a necklace that helped in these situations. The rain sizzled on him pouring down on the farm.

Seeing Elaya curled up and crying broke Jeziahs heart. How long has she been like this? A day? Two?

"Take the angel and demon and go inside," he whispered to Kai, "I need to be alone with my sister."

"What about Elaya?"

He just gave him a look, "It's her I want to be alone with."

"But she's-"

"My sisters lover and soulmate. Which makes her my sister in law by choice. Now go."

Kai ran off, collecting the two and dragging them inside as Jeziah stepped up and knelt down, gently touching Elayas shoulders and pulling her up into a well needed hug.

"Shhhh," he sighed, "aw sweetie. Don't cry. Everything will be okay."

Elaya did not resist. Did not speak. until he opened his stupid mouth.

"OK?!! SHE'S GONE!! NOTHING WILL EVER BE RIGHT AGAIN!!!" She could not even summon the will to strike him in her rage as fresh sobs seized her and she screamed into his chest, her whole body heaving.

She could say no more.

Within the others, who could, watched her. She looked so small. So weak. So lost. This was not their Elaya. She might never be Elaya again.

Even Gerry moaned for her, despite his own pain. His best friend's heart was shattered and he longed to help her. But he could not.

Jeziah held her, but his face was not saddened. It was merely confused. Had Seraphina not explained this to them? Perhaps she thought she'd outlive them, or that she'd never need to. Knowing my sister though, she probably just wanted a dramatic entrance.

"Elaya, breath sweetie," he rubbed her back, his voice soft and soothing, "please, I need you to calm down before I can explain."

While he spoke his free hand rose and pointed at the pile of ashes, encasing them in a small circle of fire, keeping them dry from the rain and protected. He knew Elaya would smell the flame and he hoped she would not panic but let him explain himself and his reasons for coming.

Elaya snarled angrily but did not interfere. "She used too much of the Mother Flame! She went too far. She said she might not come back at all!"

She looked up at Jeziah, tears streaming from her eyes. "And even if she does...how can you know she'll be MY Seraphina?!"

The mere thought drove the blade in her heart even deeper and she collapsed shuddering at his feet, screaming, clutching her sides. There were no words for this pain. She couldn't even breath. She wanted to die. She wanted everything and everyone to die. Nothing mattered anymore.

"SERAPHINA!!!" She hitched halting breaths between sobs.

She didn't even want to run.

The rain above grew stronger and thunder crashed, lightning striking all over the yard, the whole of the valley filling with this sudden violent storm. Save over the Golden Hills Saloon. Though it would not burn, the flames only grew stronger.

And Elaya screamed her rage and heart break, out screaming even the mighty storm in her pain.

Jeziah held back his tongue, watching her with worried eyes. And silently cursin his sister for worrying for partner this way. Of course he understood why Sera didn't explain more in length. Phoenixs were naturally solitary creatures. The only connections they made was to thier mates. Sera had been alone so long it had become instinct not to talk about her self or her species to anyone, even Elaya.

He could not, however, leave these secrets untold any longer. Looking up through the rain he could see eyes in the window. If they were watching, they were listening. And this was for Elayas ears only, he could not speak them will an audience. Sighing he looked to his sisters ashes. Time was of the essence.

"Elaya..." He was barely able to speak over the lightening and her screaming. Rubbing her back he knew now wasn't the time. He would have to spend hours calming her enough to explain, and there was still the matter of eavesdroppers. Even then, Elaya wasn't likely to believe him. Not without proof.

Encompassing the ashes in his flames until it created an orb he rose it higher in the air than stood and stepped towards the house, leaving the floating orb in the air. He had mastered using fire unattached to his body, whereas Seraphina was still learning. All that raw power she had, he shivered at the thought of it being wielded without restraints. Stepping through the doorway he shook himself off, the rain lowering his temperature enough to not harm the house.

"I know you are all being nosy," he stated, neither angry not happy. He was drained and exhausted, and worried for his sister and Elaya, "this is not your affair. Please respect Elayas space. I will be back soon. Kai..."

The shifter came out, looking a little sheepish and very upset over the death of Sera, "I need you to be in town when my friend arrives, the one you messaged for. Send them here. And Amitiel, Narxis...please watch over Elaya. I'm sure Drea and Rey can handled the injured inside."

"Your not our leader," Amitiel began but Jeziah through up a hand to stop him.

"I know," he replied, "I'm just giving out advice I would hope you all listen too. I must go."

Turning he headed back out into the rain, staring at the broken Elaya once more and wishing her could do more. But she would have to wait.

"It'll be okay," he yelled instead through the rain, not even sure she could hear him, "You'll see."

With those words the orb filled with Seras ashes rose higher and fire engulfed Jeziah as he shed away his flesh for his true Phoenix form. The massive firey bird flapped its wings once and was high in the air, soaring away with the orb into the night.

Elaya could not help the spark of hope when the fire bird formed, then she whimpered.

She stood then.

She moved to the house. She gestured at the door and it slammed open. She took no notice. "Obey him. Do what he said. Except you two." She pointed at the angel and demon.

Narxis started to speak. "But we are the only ones who need to do as he asked. Elay-"She raised a hand and he fell silent.

"Obey his advice as my orders. i need to run....I may be back. I may not."

She removed her necklace and tossed it to Amitiel. "You can summon me through that if you need me. But I can't bear this...I can't."

Throughout her word's her tears had not stopped. Nor had her heartbroken screaming. They had heard her through their minds. Her mother, The Moon, was granting her much power to try to heal her daughter. But even through the clouds the moonlight that did shine seemed just as heartbroken.

Elaya raised her head and howled now.

The pixies all cowered away from the sound and the others cringed. Rey flinched, and Gerry moaned, reaching through his door and his sleep toward her.

The storm crashed thunder and the rain grew even stronger, the wind whipping about the wolf, but not touching her. She shifted into her wolf form, which also was thinner and smaller than ever. Her coat lacked any luster or sheen. She was not Elaya the Princess.

She could no longer scream, but she could still howl and as her paws touched the earth she tore away, her cries still echoing through the valley and their hearts.

~

In Lodestone Nickens heard the sound and smiled. "Gotcha now wolf bitch."

Kai waited a few minutes after Elaya had left before he too said his brief goodbyes, promising to be back by noon the next day with whoever Jeziah had sent for.

"Wish me luck," he tried to smile, although it didn't have the energy normally behind it. In the back of his mind he knew he would spend the night with Reno, and his smile grew a fraction. Shifting into a dark brunette deer - an odd look indeed, but his hair color always transferred to his animal shapes - he bounded into the forest, heading back towards Lodestone and his saucy little sheriff.

He would find Reno in dire need of him. Well his body.

She was livid. :NICKENS WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE?!!"

"Now Sheriff I-"

"Spare me fangfuck!!!" She marched up to him and grabbed his collar and yanked him down so they were eye to eye. "Explain why a Phoenix was held in your basement now or suffer the consequences."

Nickens blinked but began to give his bullshit, but documented excuse. She was furious but had no choice. He had invited the Phoenix and had only had one place that was legally safe to house such a creature. It was a lie and everyone knew it. "So why did he flee and set your place on fire?"

"Overexcitement...he was...with one our ladies."

She scowled and pushed him away. For a moment he almost went over into the mud, but he managed to catch his balance, smoothing his hair. She stalked away and he sighed smiling at all the nice folks. Now he couldn't do anything else until they got the fire out inside. And that was not going to be anytime soon. The group had bought themselves some time somehow. He would love to know how they got that damned Phoenix out.

Kai was waiting inside the jail for when Reno appeared, his eyes sad but his smile wide, "Hey gorgeous."

He could see she was steaming, and for good reasons. Nickens was really pushing the envelope. And she didn't even know about the war at the farm yet, or the casualities. Sitting her down he explained everything he had learned up to where they were at now.

"...so most of my group is in rough shape, if not dead," he finished, "Reno, they have Tatia. Sera's gone, Elaya's broken, and Lairia and Gerry are clinging to life. And Nickens isn't finish, not by a long shot. We don't even know where he has Tatia, or what he's using her for. I found thief juice in the saloon, they were definitely sapping Jeziah."

He remembered the help Jeziah had asked for, "Someone's coming into town tomorrow, a friend of Jeziah's. He got me to send a message for them, when he was still trapped. They might be able to help but our numbers are still too low until my group can heal. Can you buy us some time? A week? Please baby."

Reno studied him for a moment, then stepped back out onto the street. "NICKENS!!"

He turned but before he could speak she barked, "I'm closing your saloon for a week and until it reopens no one that was there may leave town. Especially you."

"Why?!"

"I smell elf wine."

He went very pale. Elf wine was so powerful that only the elves could serve it, and no one was allowed to sell or possess it without permission from the Elves themselves. She turned back to Kai. "A week. All I can do though baby. Remember I can't leave town and you CANNOT bring the fight here. No matter the reason we will not have any combat in this town. Save for one these are good people and I will not have them risked for this war. Especially with a Metuzi Princess and two Phoenixes involved."

~

The Metuzi Princess didn't get far. Not even to the point where she had killed the exiles. She found a rise of earth and finally falling silently she huffed and flopped upon it, her eyes glazing as she watched the farm below, while she lay hidden beneath bushes.

She realized only now that she had not truly slept since before the fight with Sera and sighed. "Sera...wherever you are... I love you. And i'm so sorry. I....I......." She dozed. Snorted. Dozed again. then fell into a deep sleep.

For some time all she knew was the darkness of restful slumber. Then a voice spoke to her. The voice did not speak in words, but it was still familiar. It was singing, but the sounds were beyond what even Tatia could form. Elaya smiled. it was the Moon. Mother to her race. Beloved of her kind.

She growled in her sleep, unaware that as she slept the storm broke, over her and the farm anyway, and the moon shone down upon her. Her body healed and grew to a more seemly appearance, and her coat filled in. She was still not up to her usual standard, but she did seem more herself now.

During this her body rose and walked down to the farm yard, almost floating, and brushing leaves and bushes, which Elaya herself never did. It settled into a ball and slept heavily, still in the moonlight, the Moon refreshing and aiding her, speaking solace and love to her heart, mind, and soul. Her breathing settled her body strengthened, and plans began to form, still weakly for now, but through dreams, they began to divulge themselves to her.

Narxis and Amitiel watched from the porch, everyone else having settled toward bed. Elaya slept, nearly the first time she had been able to since they had left the city. It wasn't as rich as when she slept with her Sera, but it was soothing.

Twenty hours...

That's what Amitiel had said. She had been out cold for twenty hours now. Her eyes had opened briefly enough to see the morning rays of dawn filtering into the window in the room. Her head lolled to the left and there was Rey, fast asleep in his chair.

"Twenty hours," Amitiel whispered, stepping further into the room, "You haven't woken or even stirred in twenty hours, not since the fight yesterday morning."

She merely fluttered her eyes shut, unable to find the energy to keep them open.

"Twenty hours Rey has not left that chair," he continued, "Sitting by your side, hoping you will heal. He may not have earned Tatia's forgiveness yet, but he deserves yours."

She wanted to reply but she felt herself slipping again, the darkness blanketing her once more.

Rey woke only long enough to see her settling back into sleep. He looked up at the angel. "Do you think she'll take me back?"

~

Elaya slept on. Every hour her body healed more, her fur grew thicker and more lush. It was already thicker than a winter coat. The kids had gone out to her and brushed her out, but the fur just kept growing thicker and thicker, so black yet with a lovely purple tinge to it.

Everyone was thrilled to enjoy the peace, and they were all resting in one way or another. Gerry was out cold and asleep under heavy sedation by both the Angel and the Demon, Narxis having used a Hell metal to funnel the man's pain away, while Amitiel had used his Serene Touch to let the man sleep and heal.

As the first rays of light hit him he unfolded his wings and let out the cry of his people, a shrill cry to the wind. Then his wings flapped twice and he was high in the air; slowly he flew up until he was too high to see, soaring over the land below as he saught out his destination. Below a tiny farm came into view and with another cry he turned downwards, racing through the sky. To those who would look it would seem a meteor was falling, or a piece of the sun. But in fact it was Jeziah.

Landing was rough. He knew as he got closer that he was moving too fast in his excitement. Pulling up, he let out a scream at the last second, trying to warn anyone in the field to move. He hit the ground hard, and his heat burnt a hole into the ground, almost like a small crater. In the very middle he lay, back in his flesh form, curled over so his head rested on the ground as did his knees and elbows, trying to catch his breath.

~

Meanwhile inside Amitiel nodded, "I'm sure she will Reynault. Just give her time. And never leave her side."

Suddenly there was a shrieking sound from outside and suddenly the house shook badly as something hit the yard outside. Amitiel immediately grabbed his sword, then turned and race out to see the commotion. The children who had been outside had all run in, but they were safe and unharmed.

"Elaya?" he called as he stepped out and looked around, seeing the crater before spotting the wolf, "You alright?"

Elaya was right next to his crater. She yawned, her eyes still closed, then lay her jaw over the edge of the crater. "You are really noisy. I should mention that as your sister is a marked mate of mine, thus meaning that you are permanently my brother-in-law. Thus. Knock it off."

She was unaffected by the fire, and so unimpressed with his interest she resumed her sleep, entirely ignoring the Angel.

Narxis nudged his friend. "Put it away. She wants to be alone with him."

He gently drew Amitiel inside and shut the door, to be swarmed by the kids while Drea made them breakfast.

Elaya slept on, waiting for the new arrival to speak, her light sleep waiting to be broken again.

Jeziah groaned and then chuckled, coughing out dirt as he started to stand, not yet aware she wasn't even looking, "I was trying to get back quickly sister. I misjudged my trajectory. Where are the others? I - hey!"

He swiveled, hands going out but missing. Now he could see Elaya was dozing and he called out to warn her, "Elaya don't panic! Please don't bite!"

Something suddenly grabbed her ear and yanked hard, then a tiny giggle filled the air as two grubby little hands grabbed fistfuls of hair, pulling its little body onto her. Or trying. It wouldn't be until Elaya rolled onto her side that the little being got on top, giggling and screaming madly with happiness. When Elaya would open her eyes she would find a very small being bouncing on her, a tiny child, maybe two or three, with a mane of red hair.

"PUPPY!" she screamed, hugging Elaya's side tightly.

cc06c2a2e8af8f9f607a009fe3a9e121.jpg

Elaya flinched, her eyes springing open, then looked first at the child then at Jeziah.

She did roll and let the girl get on her back, then spoke very softly. "Jeziah I am not amused by this. Explain."

This was too much, far too soon. Her dream, a child in Sera's image on her back, but not born of her flesh in any way. That made the ache in her deepest being expand to unknown levels. Her anger was held in check solely because of the redheaded angel on her back.

"PUPPY!" the little one squealed again, grabbing onto her face and squishing it while giggling loudly. Jeziah crawled out of the crater, his hands out in the air in front of him like he was handling a wild beast, his face a little nervous.

"I'm sorry Elaya, I wanted to explain yesterday. Please...don't move. Anything could set her off like this and..."

He reached down, trying to pull her off Elaya into his arms. The minute he pulled though her little face scrunched up and she screamed, the sound high and shrill like a hawks as she screamed loudly. He instantly let her go, his hands jumping back up as he tried to calm her.

"No no, shhhh, I'm sorry...I'm sorry..."

"Puppy!" she demanded, her giant eyes wide and hurt, yet no tears were shed. It was like she couldn't cry...just like Jeziah.

"Okay, fine. You get puppy," he sighed, "Just no burning. No fire. I'm so sorry Elaya. I can't risk pulling her off without her turning flame, and she has no control. She's a wild one from the get go."

"Puppy!" she demanded again, hugging Elaya and glaring at Jeziah, "Puppy!"

"Yes, I understand," he ran a hand through his hair, sighing, "Don't burn puppy. No fire...you understand? I should have expected her to do this to you. Its...you. Even like this, some part of her knows that."

"Puppy," the little one giggled, her moods swinging back as she kissed Elaya's fur, borrowing her face in her neck.

"Play nice please," he sighed, smiling, "Seraphina."

Elaya's eyes widened and blood red. She looked back at the little one, then up at her brother-in-law.

"Jeziah i want to understand now."

She was trembling. The contact felt oddly soothing but she couldn't trust it yet.

"She is fine. She can stay. But I want answers. Now."

Amitiel and Narxis both came close to the window watching. Elaya's anger caught their attention, but they both stared at the little girl utterly astonished. "it can't be."

Narxis shrugged. "Who knows...she is a Phoenix though I can tell that much."

Amitiel nodded very nervous. They both knew Elaya would be less than delighted by the rebirth of her lover as a child.

Jeziah sat down cross-legged beside her, his eyes never leaving his baby sister, "I guess she never explained rebirth."

He rubbed his face, looking exhausted, "Phoenix's can rebirth. Its our way of staying young and immortal. For example, you wouldn't be able to tell but I'm in my sixties, and I don't look a day over thirty. What my sister did, we call ashing. It's when you die, but not by the mother. Mother nature that is, and her mother flame. That can truly end us, if it burns through our soul. But that didn't happen. So now..."

He wiggled his fingers at the little one, "Tada."

"She explained rebirth. But also that what she had done might mean permanent death. But time-out."

She rolled slightly exposing her belly to the girl and licking the girl's cheek. She then looked up at Jeziah. "first. I'm older than you? Or just in this lifespan? Second why the form of a child? And how long?"

She had rolled so her body was between him and the child. "Also no touching the girl until she is done playing with her puppy."

She looked back at Sera and slowly smiled, sniffing. It was her. Her Seraphina. Her eyes grew happily purple and she nuzzled the girl, her tail wagging, her extra thick fur everywhere.

Jeziah grinned, seeing them together. He had brought Sera back for this, for Elaya. If they were to be together, Elaya would surely see this again in eighty to ninety years. Pray she lives that long this time. And knowing she was alive seemed to be helping Elaya.

"This lifespan," he chuckled, "I'm older than Sera, but only by a century or two, not much. Our parents were two of the first phoenix's created. Secondly, we all rebirth to our first stages. When I had her she was a meer newborn. Just flying over here she grew to that."

Sera giggled and squirmed at the feel of Elaya's tongue on her cheek. It was hard to see but she had already grown a few inches, otherwise she looked the same.

"I can't tell you how long," he admitted honestly, "Our rebirths are all different, and come at different degrees. Once she rebirthed and was full grown within two days. Fastest I've seen. Another time it took her three months, but her death was a cruel one as she stayed ashed for almost a week before. This part depends entirely on Sera and how far she pushed herself. She wasn't doing well Elaya. Don't be surprised if this takes a few weeks. We can only hope for less."

He than laughed at her tone as she turned to block him, "Already acting like a mama wolf, huh? Don't worry, I'm the same with her. Enjoy this. While she's still carefree, unburdened by anything.

The wolf wrapped about the girl, like a furry snake almost and lay her jaw on the girl's shoulder. She smiled and nuzzled into her neck. "You'd better hope I never figure out a way to knock her up or for her to do the same to me. It'll be even worse then."

She smiled and flicked the girl's nose with her tail. "So Seraphina." She still trilled the name, her absolute adoration for the name and the owner so clear. "Would you like a ride?"

Her eyes danced, then she looked at Jeziah. "Alright I am willing to wait...but I need you to do something for me. Gerry was hurt in the explosion. Can you help him at all?"

Her eyes flickered as she rubbed against the girl happily. "And I want to know. How did they capture you?"

Jeziah laughed, "Oh I bet. And Sera would be just as bad as you."

The little one giggled at her question, grabbing at her tail as they watched. Jeziah listened, although his face grew concerned when he heard about Gerry, "Did Sera do that? Was it her explosion?"

He rubbed his neck at her neck question, "Uh...I was looking around the town for you guys. Sera had sent a fire message...a letter delivered through our flame, we learned the trick centuries ago, saying she needed me. She knew she was dying Elaya, and she was seeking my help. But I couldn't find the farm. Asked a few wrong people then that asshole Nickens kidnapped me. Kept me in his saloon. If not for Kai I'd probably still be in there, getting my soul sucked out. Oh yeah, they have thief juice."

He shook his head, "We can't think about that at the moment though. Your team isn't ready to fight, and Sera is in need of guidance from me and protection from you. Our people, we have customs following our rebirths. While many know Phoenix's rebirth, none know our customs. And it must remain that way, as it always has. If you'll allow me to take her for lessons, she can spend the rest of her time with you."

Back
Top Bottom