Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Elaya filled the hall. She smiled very sweetly at him, but made it clear she did not appreciate his brusqueness. "Jeziah put her down. You will tell me what you plan to do before you take her anywhere."

She had only met the male Phoenix twice but she never forgot a scent.

Behind her Narxis and Drea had gotten the children and the adults out of the house and down in the barn, where Rey stood guard over them, watching the house, while the other two had moved to support Elaya.

Elaya still had her hands up in a placating gesture. "You really ought to put her down quickly. Before-oh dear-"

Sera was whipped out of his arms and back into bed. Elaya gripped his shoulders before he could get upset. "Forgive me but she needed rest. But she's stubborn. Insisted on cooking. So I had Gerry put a binding spell on her and the bed. I need a moment to undo it."

It was a cheap bluff but it had worked. She needed to remember to thank Narxis for that little bit of trickery. The demon winked at her through a window.

The kittens wriggled into Sera's hair and began to purr, taking no notice of Jeziah. Elaya squeezed his arm. "Seriously. Just tell me what you need to do after you let me by. Gerry makes his spells really simple."

He growled as she suddenly left his arms, whipping his head to see her as he snapped, "Seriously? I'm trying to save her life here!"

He let her by, looking like he was ready to melt the house down if he didn't get what he wanted soon enough, "Look I got her message, she needed help. Only a phoenix can help a phoenix alright? I mean look at her, she's practically on her death bed! She's burnt out, she shouldn't even be rising from the bed. I'm her brother, I can't just wait around and watch her die. Seriously Elaya, I just need to take her outside where I can burn safely and help her."

"Just hang on. Now what was that activating word..."

She knelt by the bed mumbling.

Narxis unsheathed a blade and let it go dark, soul searing. And nonphysical. He moved it through the window and wall, then willed the tip into this plane and nudged a vase on a shelf.

The vase fell onto Jeziah, shattering and splashing him with water. Narxis had already retreated as Elaya whirled. "Jeziah what happened? Are you alright?"

He swore as the water splashed on his, wiping water from his face and cursing at his wet clothes, "No I'm not alright, that hurt! What the hell happened? And is she unbound yet? Time is of the essence here!"

Elaya smiled at him. "im so sorry. Jeziah."

Drea stepped up and hurled a water bomb at the creature while Narxis enclosed him in a soul trap, and Elaya slammed the door in his face, intentionally breaking his nose.

She turned to Sera and knelt taking her love's hands, kissing them. "I don't know where the real Jeziah is my love but i will get him back to you. Just stay strong." The kitten's popped up from the red hair and mewed. She nodded at them. "Keep an eye on her."

She sighed and lay a thick towel coated with a waxy substance on Sera's middle. She ignited it and began to burn. Slowly and without much flame but continuously and very hot. Nothing like a Phoenix, but several hundred degrees. "It's a mixture of army ant nestings, emperor beeswax, and some other naturally occurring stuff. The pixies use it for wickless candles and such. It's not much but...its all i can do baby." She kissed Sera's hands again, then left the room.

The goddess and the demon had dragged the imposter out of the house, and now he was in the well, encased in soul trapped ice. Elaya smiled sweetly once again. "Anything to say for yourself?

~

In lodestone Reno and Kai were asleep. They had dropped off somewhere after round seven of their rather insane lovemaking.

In the Golden Hils saloon, in the concrete shelter that could not be entered or exited without the will of Mr. Nickens himself.

Nickens gripped long red hair and twisted it, forcing Jeziah to look up at him. he had not struck the Phoenix but he was very angry. "What happened? Explain" That jeziah could not know the answer didn't matter. Nickens did not like his plans to fall. he had nearly had that red headed bitch. With her he would have them all.

~

Far away Amitiel drew a bit further back, looking toward the farm, while even further away Gerry was still softly calling. Not for Tatia. Or even for the Rythert. But the names of the dead. To make sure Tatia heard his voice, and knew it was him.

Sera woke only briefly, feeling the heat and whispering in her hoarse breath, "I love you." She was too out of it to realize what had happened or what was going on. All she knew was Elaya was there and then she was gone and Sera fell back into a deep sleep, the only thing keeping the poor Phoenix alive.

~

Meanwhile Jeziah was glaring very angrily into a very old vampire's face, spitting at him as he asked, "Go to hell you dick. I won't see my sister out. And you can bet I won't help you hurt her."

The vampire slapped the Phoenix so hard Jeziah's head bounced off his shoulder. He then gripped the smaller man by the throat. "You will obey. or i will use your very fires to kill your sister and her little friends!"

~

Elaya's heart was warmed at her love's words. When she could get lairia up she would need to get her to help Sera. maybe deepen the sleep or introduce some real fire and heat somehow. She didn't know what to do for Sera.

And this bastard had only made it worse.

The man trapped in ice looked at them with a evil grin, "So the wolf bitch caught on eh? Mr. Nicken's thought it would take longer, so good on you."

His eyes flickered to the faces he could see from the well, "You all made the wrong enemies. The fire slut will be dead by the end of the week. And you'll all follow. Mark my words."

~

Jeziah's head rolled, and he spat out blood but he didn't give in an inch. He'd dealt with plenty worse in his lifetime. There were always assholes like this in the world.

"My fires? Good luck on that," he retorted with a sneer, falling quiet.

Nickens spoke very quietly. "We know how to kill Phoenixes. We've done it before boy."

Nickens was far older than Jeziah. When he spoke like this his diction became even clearer, but his accent was strange. Powerful. Ancient beyond words.

~

Elaya's smile did not break, but her hand flashed out and with a crack with a wet ripping sound she tore the top left rib out of the man's body.

before he could react she held it up to Narxis who tapped it. it went black, then began to drip. her hand flashed again and the rib was back in place and with three resonant pops, Drea healed the break and the wound.

And the bastard began to feel pain so deep and so blinding he would never escape the scars. The pain burned through his being directly into his soul.

Elaya crouched before him. "Now. Say another word against any of my people and I'll do that to another rib. Explain how you got the image of Jeziah."

"Then kill me," Jeziah spoke with a deadly calm, not even giving him the respect to look him in the eye, "I'm done talking."

~

The man grunted as the rib left and returned, then his face screwed up in pain as he tried his best not to scream. When she asked her question he let out a loud snarl, his voice hoarse and raw from the pain.

"We got him locked up nice and good you dumb bitch! What else do you think? Asking all his questions, said he knew that damn siren whore who attacked Benny and Vern. Nickens got something planned for her, he does. Little slut and her two creepy lovers."

Narxis moved forward and stabbed his sword through the imposter. It did not pierce his flesh, but it did coat another rib in the stuff.

Elaya waited until he was done and had stepped back. "Thank you Narxis."

The pain multiplied exponentially exploding through the fool. "Stop saying rude things about my people. Now where is this Nickens keeping him?"

~

Nickens gripped Jeziah's face in a painful hold. "I don't need you to talk little Phoenix. Only to burn. And have you forgotten an old principle of fire? Backdraft?"

The man screamed this time, yelling profanities at the sky. He didn't stop yelling either, even when she asked her questions. He simply gasped between his screams, shrieking out a swear between every other word as he essentially told him he had no idea. He had just followed orders, no questions asked.

~

Jeziah remained mute, staring ahead at the floor as he let the man talk, knowing his silence would only infuriate him further.

When Elaya was certain the fool knew nothing she nodded to Narxis. He began to dragg his blade over the creature, now cutting him, though the flesh healed. But the darkness seeped in. Digging in until it rooted throughout the fool's body, covering him the slush. His screams were muffled by the ice about him, but the pain would only grow worse.

And that was all before he entered Hell and the actual Master of Pain took hold of his soul.

Elaya went to Sera. She couldn't do anything...or could she.

She called to Drea. Drea came to the doorway but did not enter. "Kids alright?"

"All asleep. What is it?"

"can you contact Kai?"

~

Nickens smirked. He was not angered. he liked a challenge. "If we make you backdraft on your sister the two of you will erupt like nukes. or volcanoes." The last word had a special lilt to it and he smiled knowingly.

Jeziah simply shrugged, as if this was the most relaxing and boring conversation he had ever heard. He would not let this man into his mind, nor gain a thing from him. He had no reason to cooperate, so he wouldn't.

"Go ahead. Try whatever you like," he retorted, looking away still, "Won't do you no good."

"oh?"

He moved back as a creature held up a jar, then opened it, applied a match, then poured the now blue flame burning fluid directly onto Jeziah.

Nickens smiled. "Gelanite alcohol. impressive heats." The fire of course could not hurt the Phoenix, but it might do other...interesting things to him.

Jeziah watched and for a flicker of a second at seeing the jar he worried this man was going to kill him and throw his ashes in it. It was a well kept secret of Black hunters -hunters who murdered and killed nonhumans to sell thier gifts on the black market- that trapping a Phoenixs ashes in a jar hindered them from rebirthing. Jeziah knew a similar trick had been used on Sera recently, although surely the demons did not know the extent of what they were doing. And this man here may be old but the jar trick was relatively new and seldom knew it. Jeziah doubted he did too. To his luck he lit a match and put it in the jar, lighting something in flames the coated the glass. Then her poured it over Jeziah. The heat was hot and immense, and delicious. Jeziah sucked it in greedily, replenishing his strength as he grinned wickedly.

"Stupid," he laughed, flexing his muscles as the chain binds holding his wrists to the back of the chair creaked and started to give, "give flame to flame? What did you think would happen?"

The chains broke as Jeziahs fist flashed forward, ramming into his nose and breaking it hard as she danced backwards, "if you want to play with fire I'll give you fire!"

Nickens smiled at the Phoenix and began to speak in a tongue.

A tongue older than the earth.

The blood burned from his face and the Phoenix was suddenly trapped beneath a massive bell flask. The flask crushed Jeziah to the floor and sealed him against it, while the large bell of the flask seemed to draw all the heat and power from him.

Nickens continued to speak in the tongue. The flask was not glass but something more powerful and intense, and magically protected. As the words spilled forth more and more of the redheads essence was drawn away into the vaccum above him.

Nickens was calm and relaxed as the assitant snickered. "Ash you fool!! Ash and pay for the death of your kind!!"

Jeziah screamed as it came down, but he held out. He screamed and shrieked grew worse as the pain heightened, too loud to hear anything they had to say. All he could hear was the pounding of his heart in his ears and the feel of death gripping his dying soul.

Nickens reached down and raised the flask, letting the Phoenix breath. "i know how to keep you on the edge of dying for centuries fire boy. Now. What will you do?"

The answer didn't matter. Nickens had all the power for now.

~

Elaya stroked Sera's hair so worried about her love. She just didn't know what to do to help her. And she knew she couldn't get to Jeziah now.

~

Gerry sighed checking his weaponry carefully, especially his various knives. It would be a long journey. She was worth it, a dear friend he treasured, but he was still irritated that all this had happened. Not her fault but certainly focused on her.

When morning came Tatia woke sore and puffy. There was no real way to clean herself up until they got out of the swamp so she did just that, waking Rythert and setting off. By eleven they exited the swamp and entered the forest and only then did she let them wash her with salt water quickly, riding her of the swamp smell and grime. By quarter to noon they arrived in the small town of Moony, a neighbor to Lodestone. There was an inn on the outskirts and Tatia pulled them inside, finding them a table and ordering the biggest platters on the menu, knowing neither her nor her partners had eaten.

"Five minutes," she breathed, staring out the window at the sun as she calculated the time, "I wasn't kidding. If I see more than one of them, we leave. I will not be treated badly any longer."

Gerry entered the inn only seconds behind her.

Despite his long walk he looked fresh. He had paused by the communal fountain and washed up some. His weapons had been used, and his clothes bore clear signs of battle, but he was calm and collected.

he spotted her instantly upon entering but did not approach, waiting for her to allow it.

Tatia turned and saw him, then nodded, allowing him to approach. She looked down to Rythert, kissing both their hands and then nodded to the window speaking softly, "Before he hears us. Please watch the skies and the forests for me. If they come, you tell me and we shall leave. I will not have them bully you and torment and harass me any longer. Please my sun and moon."

She looked up as Gerry approached and gave him a cautionary smile, "Hey. I hope you don't mind but we ordered food. I wasn't sure if I would see you or Elaya. I'm...I'm glad its you. I feel safer being honest with you."

They waited for him to sit and the waitress to come by, taking his order. Then she whisked off, but not before dropping two mugs of water before Rythert, and a glass of wine for Tatia. She sipped at it, drinking in the strong liquid as it settled her nerves.

Finally she spoke, "I'm sure by now you have an idea of why I've left. And please, before you start telling me to come back, I want to make sure you understand all of why I left. And why I do not wish to return. Yesterday, we were attacked in town. These men were going to rape my sun - Rythert, I mean - and I wouldn't allow it so I tried to kill one and maim the other. We were caught by the sheriff, who then took us to her station and explained what is really happening. But something...happened and I decided I needed to leave. Reynault found me then and..."

She bit her tongue, anger and pain dancing in her eyes, "He knocked me down hard. Then he forced Rythert into a carriage before dragging me into the forest. At first, at first I hoped he was simply trying to calm me down away from them but then..." She stared at the table, remembering how those fangs looked, how they instilled fear in her, "He grabbed my hair and threw me down. He pinned me, yelling, and swearing, and when I saw those fangs...I...Gerry I thought he was going to kill me."

She wringed her hands, looking uncomfortable, "I've never been scared of any of you. I mean yes, I was scared you'd tell someone my secret, but I've never been afraid of what you all are, what any of you would do to me. I don't feel that way anymore. Rey, I can't be near Rey. Never again. I won't let him hurt me. He's done enough."

Gerry waited until she was done then he spoke softly.

"Rey knows he scared you. So does Elaya. She was and is furious with him. But I am going to beg you to come back with me. You barely survived out there on your own. now somehow they are homing in on you. The merfolken will not rest. At least with us you have protection. And Rey's fate is in your hands. If you want Elaya to she will kill him. He did what he did because he's an idiot. He was trying to protect you but he went about it the wrong way. But he did save the Rythert's life. Their faces now are as well known as your own."

Before she could argue he lay three large clam shells on the table. They opened to reveal incredible likenesses of herself and her sun and moon. Beneath were words in her own tongue.

The capture or elimination of any of these three will be rewarded to the tune of the doer's weight in gold, diamonds, or anything of value they wish. These three are enemies of the merfolken empire and must be killed or captured at any cost.

Gerry very gently touched her hand. "You can come back. We would never tell. or hurt you. You can even expel Rey from the group if you wish. i can promise you he'll never so much as lay a finger on you again no matter what you decide. And if you come back we could use you. Sera is getting worse. Drea is sick. We are in big trouble Tatia. We need you."

Tatia kept glancing at Rythert, waiting for them to say someone else was here. But they saw nothing. She looked back to Gerry, reading the warrants in the clams as she picked the one with her face up, examining it. She looked back at Gerry, hearing his words. Their food arrived and she set the clam to the side, taking a bit of the soup she had ordered, while a cheese and meat platter and another fruit and veggie platter was set down. She finished her soup, thinking over his words before speaking.

"I don't want him killed," she finally stated, "But I don't know if I can work with him either. I'll...I'll go back with you Gerry. I'd be stupid not to. But on one condition..."

She grabbed a grape and popped it in her mouth, "I refuse to be alone with him anywhere. Ever again. If he wants to see or speak to me, you will be there. And he will not go near the Rythert. He puts a hand on them...and I'll drive a stake in his heart."

Her words were cold, but she meant each and every one of them.

He nodded. "i will agree to that. I am certain that Elaya will as well."

He smiled and started eating as well. "Amitiel is the only one near by, and he's more than fifty miles away. The Rythert can come in and eat. I bet they are hungry too."

He really had no clue, just trying to be kind, and make some peace. "I do apologize but Drea asked me to tell you she is so sorry and misses you greatly. And Elaya is worried sick about you."

Back
Top Bottom