Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Tatia pursed her lips, trying to swallow the annoyance bubbling up. She felt looked down upon by this woman, who seemed to be giving her no solutions to the problem. Standing at her sun and moon's request she was about to just walk out when Reno had to use that...that word.

"It's Tatia okay. Tatia!" she snapped, "I'm not a Queen! I'm not a grace! I'm not even a princess by law anymore. I'm an orphan girl who grew up in Ocean City and ended up in a brothel till a mercenary took pity on me. So seriously, everyone just drop it!"

She turned and stormed out, leaving Rythert behind in the Sheriff's office to say their apologies for her outburst. She didn't pause for them, she just continued to storm through the streets, avoiding anyone nearing her just to get away from one more person addressing her for her bloodline. She continued to storm, going straight for the trees without looking back or even stopping.

She was yanked to a stop and thrown onto her ass in the middle of the street.

The Rythert came running out to find their lover. Reno had waved away their apologies.

Rey stood over Tatia, his eyes ablaze. He pointed at them "Get back to the farm."

"We don't-"

"NOW!!"

They jumped, looked at their lover, then toward the vampire. He pointed at a carriage coming near. "get in it."

They tried to argue. But Reno came up behind them. "Get in. I want all of you out of my town."

Rey got them loaded up and sent them on their way, then turned to Tatia, grabbed her hand, yanked her to her feet and lead her out of town. He waited until they were out of the town, then yanked her around. "What is wrong with you?! You're making enemies and scaring all of us."

Tatia was almost outside the city when someone yanked her hard and she fell, landing on her ass and tearing the dress further. She looked up to see Reynault and she let out a low snarl, trying to stand back up. How dare he start to-

She stopped midthought to turn and see Rythert rushing out, with Reno on her heels. Oh great, now there was going to be trouble for Rey yanking her.

"Hey! You can't speak to them like that, not after what you did!" she snapped, but he was ignoring her yelling, "NOW!!"

Even she jumped, taking a step towards them as a carriage pulled up. She wanted to get in with them, worried that they were getting into a carriage she did not know. But she stopped short as Reno came up behind them and forced them inside by words alone. Rey stepped in to make sure they left, leaving Tatia behind as she watched, a tendril of fear running through her for them. Without another word he grabbed her arm and yanked her the last few steps out of town, dragging her into the trees as she fought him.

The minute he stopped and turned she didn't hesitate. The group wasn't around to stop her and neither was the Sherriff. She pulled back her arm and slapped him as hard as she could across his face, another snarl leaving her throat.

"That is for how you treat my partners," she snapped, "If you ever go near them again I won't hesitate to attack you Rey. So do me the favor and leave me the hell alone."

She pushed past him, walking further into the trees, "Now excuse me, I have to go find Rythert, since you sent them in some strange carriage. For all I know you just had them kidnapped."

The thought made her heart seize and she picked up the pace, knowing it would do little good, but she couldn't stand around and talk to the vampire. Not with how he treated her, "And there is nothing wrong with me! Maybe everyone should get their heads out of their asses and learn a little tact."

She didn't answer his second statement, knowing it held a bit more truth. Reno had said she had made a great enemy in Mr. Nicken. But that was his fault for letting his men take her sun. And why was she scaring any of them? Because she wasn't frolicking around bubbly and happy, sleeping with every man she found? Tatia snorted. She had assumed they'd be happy for her, not hostile.

Rey threw her to the ground with a vicious twist of her hair then her body.

Before she could react his foot drove down onto her chest, forcing her down. His finger was in her face as he snarled. "No you little twit. The problem is that you were trying to get your precious new lovers killed!"

His fangs gleamed as he hissed at her. "I will not be threatened by you Tatia. Do you have any idea how much danger we are all in? Especially those two? Especially because you had to bring us all to that asshole Nickens' attention. And of course you had to go into town so everyone knows who, what, and where you are. But that's my fault of course?"

His eyes blazed. "Now it's time for you to shut up and listen little girl."

He crouched, still standing on her chest, but somehow not crushing her, yet also keeping her down on the ground. "We are all nearly dead. Including Sera and Elaya. You went running off because of some words? Grow up. Your little tantrum is costing us blood. If you would stop pouting and being so sure you know everything, I could have you back with your lovers in seconds. But now i have to get your tail off us. Including merfolken. So what's it to be? Do we keep fighting and die here? Without ever seeing our lovers again? or will you shut up and help me save their lives?"

Tatia screamed as he grabbed her hair and threw her down, tears welling in her eyes. She squirmed under his foot, crying out for help, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her voice had no power over him, so she could not escape. It was clear to her now, clear to her that this man was not her friend. She was a burden to him, and if he felt that way, how many more of them did?

"I'm not a little girl," she cried, trying to free herself. She heard his words, and it only made her feel worse. Some words? He had treated her lover's like garbage. It had not been a tantrum. She reached for her knife and remembered she had left it in the saloon, the only knife she had since she had no armor.

"LET ME GO!" she screamed at him, "LET ME GO!"

She flailed under him, crying and screaming. She wanted them to come. Maybe he would get off her then.

"Just...just let me go!" she begged, trying desperately to change tactics, "Please. I'll stop. Just...just please."

He nodded and started to lift off her when the earth exploded. He was thrown off her into a large brush pile.

The earth beside her was oddly wet and smelled of the sea, and scales were scattered everywhere.

Rey coughed, gagging, then called out. "TATIA RUN!!"

She didn't hesitate. She jumped to her feet as the earth exploded and stumbled away from it before looking over at him.

"I hope I never see you again!" she spat, then turned away and bolted. She didn't even look back. Tatia ran, wiping tears from her face as she did so, keeping in the direction she had seen the carriage go. But she wasn't just running from the explosion, fearful of what it may be. She was running from him. The siren ran till her lungs hurt, bursting out from the trees and onto the road, looking left and right.

"Rythert?!" she yelled, but she could see no tracks, no sign if they had gone this route. And she could not wait. She could hear the fighting behind her. They'll find me, she told herself, running across the trees and into the forest, They found me once, they'll do it again. Just run!

Her lungs hurt and her muscles burnt but she didn't stop. Her body was nimble and quick, moving silently like Gerry had trained her. The siren ran longer and harder than she had ever in her life. When she finally stumbled across a stream she turned into it and kept going, quick on her feet along the wet mossy rocks, masking her scent from any who would follow. As she continued she made her way uphill, until the stream branched into a river and she could see a waterfall in the distance. Careful not to fall in she followed the shorebank to the edge of the cliff, looking down. Below she could see the trees were taller and thicker, but the grass looked mossy and damp. The lake the waterfall fell into looked dark and swampy. If she made it down, they wouldn't be able to track her. Not...not even Elaya.

She paused, looking back from where she came. Was she making the right choice here? Did she have another option? Turning back she stared down at the swamp, guaging how deep it was. The waterfall was not that high, so a jump would not kill her on impact. Swallowing any second thoughts she turned and jumped into the waterfall without hesitation. For a second she felt like she was flying, nothing holding her down or beneath her feet. And then the falling sensation hit her and the water splashed her face. In seconds she hit the water, diving underneath. Holding her breath she swam up, the slimy water feeling odd against her scales as her tail grew. Swimming to the shore she found it hard to crawl out, the grass and moss sinking with any pressure. It took her a little bit to make it up, covering her arms and torso in mud while doing so, not to mention her tail. As it dried and turned back to her legs the mud coated them too. If someone found her now they'd think she was feral, mud soaked and hair a wet mess.

Carrying her flats she trekked through the swamp, knowing now no one could follow her. The stench clung to everything here, even her. The only being that could find her was Rythert, but she had called them and they had not appeared. She walked on, and at some point the tears came, welling up and falling as she walked. The sun began to set and twilight came but she kept going, travelling as many miles as she could from the town, from the group, from everything. When the moon was in the sky and the stars twinkled above and Tatia could not take a single more step she crawled between the roots of a humongous tree, finding it somewhat hollow inside and climbing in. Her body shook with the cold and even the tree could not spare her of that, but at least it kept her from view and from harm.

I'm really...really alone again, she thought, picking mud from her nails as she cried, I never thought it go back to this. Sera always promised me I'd be safe. But...but I...I couldn't. They didn't want me. Reynault made that clear. I knew this would happen. I knew, if they found out, they'd turn on me.

"GODDAMNIT!!"

Elaya ripped the door off the carriage before it had even come to a stop.

She yanked the Rythert out. "where is she?!"

They shook their heads, crying.

She snarled and set them down sniffing the air. Somehow the siren had hidden her scent. "Fuck!"

Gerry moved close. "Elaya...what-"

She whirled snarling. "Rey panicked because the merfolken found her and went to far. Go help him."

"But-"

"GO!"

He jumped but pointed at Kai, the angel and demon and took off.

She turned on the Rythert. "Find her. i don't care how. Find her and bring her back. She won't last twelve hours alone."

They stood. "You cannot order us about. you are-"

"i am the only one who is thinking about her survival rather than her feelings. Find her. Now."

They blinked. Rey had been forceful and frightening.

Elaya was intense, and horrifying with it. She was not as physical with them, but they feared her far more than the vampire.

They nodded and dove into the well.

~

Rey dove away, rolling to his feet, then hurling a log at two more of the attackers, closing his eyes and mouth as they exploded. But there were more.

The merfolken were out for blood, and with Tatia gone they were going to take out their revenge and rage on her former friend.

Rey's left arm was gone, and his handsome face a ruin. Still he moved and fought, using their nature to prevent them from following her.

~

Gerry began to point out targets, and began to fire while he sent Kai to rescue the vampire.

~

The Rythert had to fight their way through the water ways, and when they emerged from the swamp they were covered in mer scales and green blood. "Tatia!!"

They rushed after her, searching frantically both of them weeping, scared, and incredibly worried about her.

Tatia shivered, having not heard them at first. By the time she did it must have been hours that they were searching, as she was hours away from the waterfall. Her ears perked as she caught the sounds of thier voices and she whispered their names, not wanting any others to hear where she was in case the group was following.

They appeared within minutes, slipping into her hole in the tree, which became rather cramped with them in. They looked as badly as she did, covered in mud and moss, but also reeking of merfolk blood.

"Don't," she grabbed both their arms, "Don't tell them where I am. Don't send them here, or guide them, or give them directions. I do not wish to be found. I...I quit."

As it fell from her tongue she let out a sob, curling her legs up closer to herself. How had it gotten so bad. How had the group she trusted the most turned on her?

"He hurt me," she whispered through the tears, "He threw me down and pinned me and it all hurt. And he wouldn't let me go. He flashed his fangs and he was yelling about something and I...for a brief second I actually thought he was going to kill me."

She shook now, closing her eyes as she sobbed, "I can't go back. I won't. I'm done."

The Rythert sobbed upon finding her and nodded at her words, but waited until she spoke before replying.

"Tatia...Rey is not the group. Elaya is frantic for you. She ordered us to find you and keep you safe. The others are very worried. Please..you can't survive out here alone. The waterways are filled with merfolken, broken tails are scattered all over the land hunting you. Now us. We don't have the power to protect you. Please...please reconsider?" Their voices were desperate and sincere.

~

Finally the last living bomb was brought down, with Amitiel's blade through it's head.

Gerry had Kai reconning the area, trying to find Rey. The vampire had been mad with rage and would not stop attacking, even though a single blow lead to their explosions.

Gerry cursed under his breath, ripping through brush, knowing he had to find the stupid vampire. "Reynault! Where the hell are you?!"

A moan caught his attention and he whirled and froze.

Rey was in the branches of a tree. He was missing nearly the entire left side of his body, including his left arm and leg, his skull nearly entirely exposed. Even as Rey watched though the bone began to heal and reform, while skin grew again. Gerry had seen the vampire heal many time, but never so quickly, and never from such severe damage. More bones began to grow.

Within ten minutes Rey crawled down from the tree fully healed. He flopped to the ground gasping up at Gerry. His scar was bright red, and his eyes were bloody. Gerry arched an eyebrow. "How did you do that?"

Rey grunted. "I ate well last night. i was watching the merfolken, and our new enemies. Had a few gallons of blood..." He wasn't about to tell anyone he had taken of Laria's magically empowered blood. Gerry nodded. "Can you stand?"

Rey shook his head. Then fainted.

Tatia shook her head, "No. I won't go. He attacked me. I don't feel safe with them. I don't feel safe anywhere. I should...I should never had told anyone what I am. I should have stayed in that brothel. I should..."

She started to sob, sinking her head down as her knees curled up, so they couldn't see her tears. She couldn't be out here, she knew this, but niether could she go back. She felt lost, and the only one on her side was sitting here telling her to go back to where she didn't feel she belonged.

Finally after crying a few minutes she wiped away tears and looked up at them, "I want you to go back. Go back and tell Elaya why I ran. Why I won't return. Tell her...tell her I'll be in the neighbouring town, just a few miles from here and the ranch. I saw it on my way. If she comes alone I will talk. I'm sure there is an inn there. If a see a single other person with her I will bolt. You can come if you wish. And tell...tell Gerry I'm sorry for everything. He's a good friend."

She sunk her head back down and continued to cry, her words sad as they broke through, "Go and be safe."

They shook their heads. "We stay here with you. We came for you. Not them."

They wrapped about her. "You should rest Tatia. If we are going to the town then you have to rest. We'll let Elaya know. We don't have to leave to deliver the message. And we aren't leaving you. Ever."

~

Elaya turned as Drea called her name. Drea's eyes had gone solid blue. "We have found Tatia. She is scared. She refuses to return. She will only speak to the werewolf. or perhaps the human. She wants to go to Lodestone. We are making her rest first."

Elaya nodded as Drea blinked. "When they get back send Gerry to me. And make sure Rey is isolated. No one is to speak to him until i have."

Tatia sighed, letting the tears flow as she leaned into them, "Thank you. T-thank you."

It took her hours to calm her tears and find sleep but when she did they were full of nightmares. Full of blood red eyes and glistening fanged creatures chasing her, grabbing at her hair and her body, pining her down and sucking her dry. She woke screaming many times, sweat covering her body as she pulled Rythert in close each time and eventually was rocked back to sleep.

~

Lairia had made breakfast that morning. An apology for making a scene, she fed the entire ranch with the best most delicious food she could imagine, using small magic tricks to make sure she had the ingredients needed and making it all by scratch. She had barely slept that night, worried both for Rey and Tatia, and had risen at the crack of dawn to cook, wanting to get her mind off things. She had been happy to feed them, and when breakfast had finished she had cleaned her own mess, letting the children play and the group rest. When all was done she had found Elaya in her room and apologized alone, explaining her reasons for defending Rey, and her reasons she should have held her tongue.

"I just hope," she finished, "That you won't terminate the contract because of my actions. I've grown to respect all of you, and trust you."

She stood and left then, going to her own room to meditate. Meanwhile Kai had taken up cleaning the house to try and make his own apologies for his groups behavior. He was almost finished when Gerry had grabbed them and they had bolted after Rey. Sera had never woken, curled into the wolf most of the day, her temperatures rising and falling as the day wore on, her hands clinging to Elaya every time she came back to the bed.

The Rythert cast a rather weak spell but it sealed them in, using the muck, mud, filth, and even the blood to hide the entrance to their little niche. Once down they wrapped about their Tatia, and cast a water magic that covered the three of them in a warm concoon of the stuff, sealing in their heat and also soothing their bodies.

~

Elaya had only just managed to assure laria that the contract would remain open when everything exploded.

Now she had the goddess and magician watching the kids and the adults in the house, while she stayed out on the porch and took in reports from her powerful senses.

When she knew they were coming back without trouble she released everyone, even stealing hugs and kisses from the kids. With them she was very different. She played games, cracked jokes, and even playfully flirted with the boys, who were clearly in awe of her and the other women. She watched them go play their little games with loving eyes and whispered. "If only....You are so perfect Sera...but...." She whined a bit then shook herself.

She went to Laria. "I will let you see your vampire again after I have spoken to him. but you must not let him drink from you. Not until we have made peace amongst us."

She bit her lip, then touched the magician. "He's caused a lot of trouble. And none of it is your fault. you saved his life actually. But I cannot allow him to be rewarded when he's risked everything being so stupid about other things. I might even have to expel him from the group. If I do you may have him if you wish. But until then he is under my command. The children look hungry now. You worked yourself half to death. best go feed them."

She left the room just as Kai and Narxis returned to the children's happy greeting. Gerry dropped Rey, without any concern, at the baee of the porch from Amitiel's back then started to climb down. The wolf shook her head. "You have to retrieve Tatia. talk to Drea to get the location. Amitiel you work up a signal and keep an eye on everything."

She caught Gerry's eye. "Return with her or not at all Gerald." He nodded. "As the pack commands."

She nodded as they flew over to the goddess, then were off. She then looked down at Rey. He cringed at her cold gaze.

"Go to the barn. Speak to no one."

He pulled himself to his feet and started to speak. her lip rose and he flinched then obeyed her.

She looked up into the sky and sighed. "Moon Mother give me strength. Sera. Wake up quickly."

She then went to the barn. She found Rey sitting on a rough wooden bench, looking forlornly at his newly returned arm and his ruined clothes. When she entered he gulped. She walked over and noted that while he did not draw away, he could not help shying back from her presence. he was scared. badly scared.

Good.

She plopped onto the bench and pressed the soles of her feet onto his knees."Do have any idea how much you hurt her?"

"Well I-"

"Any idea how much you scared her?"

"Wel-"

"Any idea how much you cost her?"

He gulped again. "No."

"No?"

He shook his head, not daring to look at her.

"Just what was going through your mind?" He shivered at the coldness in her voice. This was not his friend Elaya. This was not even a comely woman. He could not divine what she was in this moment because he had never seen her like this. He could not answer her.

"I can tell you. Jealousy. You have always thought she was silly little girl. A plaything. But she mentions more and you got scared. then she found a chance for happiness and you got upset."

He sensed her gaze and slowly looked up to find her jet black eyes an inch from his own, her teeth fangs as she snarled. "Because. It. Was. Not. With. You."

He realized now that she had not been resting her feet on his knees, but pinning his legs down. She poked him in the chest, letting the talon pierce his flesh. "You are a vampire Reynault. And for all your honors and high intent, you are a very selfish being. Maybe you were worried about her. But you let your own feelings set you off. You could have said the same exact words you did and caused no harm. If you had approached her as a friend and not as some know-it-all who rejected her. And then you had to show off and manhandle her."

He felt a rib pop. Actually pop. He groaned but didn't dare move or react otherwise. She growled the next word. "Laria should throw you in the hogmud. When Tatia returns i am going to let her do anything she wants to you. And if you ever lay so much as a unkind word on any member of this group or those they care about again-" His rib splintered and cracked now, and she twisted the talon within, grinding the innards of the bone.

He trembled with pain but did not move.

"How does that sound?"

He nodded.

She removed the talon and her feet and stood. the wound did not seal or heal, it just kept hurting him. "A gift. Maybe i will fix it. If Tatia wants me too. You will not leave this barn until she gives you leave. You will not feed on anything, even your blood bags until she gives you leave." She leaned down and whispered into his shaking ear. "Be grateful you did not strike her or actually hurt her. Otherwise I'd break every bone in your body. if you ever drop fang on that girl again I will. Understand?"

He nodded furiously, unable to speak.

She left the barn, walked up to Kai, studied his for a moment, then smiled. "Go into town. Find this Sheriff Reno the Rythert mentioned. Get to know her. And here." She gave him a large sack of gold. "Make some friends while you are there."

Lairia had been meditating when Elaya bursted in, her eyes popping open as she looked up from her spot on the floor. The wolf gave her no chance to reply, so she simply nodded as Elaya left, hiding the worry she had for not just Rey but for Tatia too. She got up, but the urge to cook was not there so instead she used simple magic to create a meal and watched as the children and the two men dug in. She knew it was no wise to use her powers as she was still healing, but Lairia also had more pressing matters in her mind. Stepping out she saw Rey disappear into the barn followed by an angry looking Elaya. Looking around she could see no one was watching, they were either inside eating and chatting or they had gone. Picking up her skirts she tiptoed to the barn door, leaning beside it and listening, trying to find out what exactly he had done since she last saw him.

What she heard did bother her, especially when Elaya accused him of jealousy. She had known Tatia had had a thing for him, but had there been a chance he enjoyed her attentions? Was he truly jealous Tatia had moved on? Not waiting to hear more she returned to the house, knowing she could confront him later. As she entered the hall Kai slipped past and she was about ready to hide in her room when the door next to hers opened suddenly. A very tired looking redhead stepped out, holding the wall for support as Lairia rushed forward, wrapping one arm around her waist to steady her.

"Sera you need to go back to bed, you're still healing."

"No," Sera shook her head, "No I...I need to fix things."

"Fix what? Elaya has it all under control."

Sera looked at her with dull, confused eyes, her brow knitting as she chewed her words, "What does Elaya have...under control? What is going on?"

Lairia paled a little, knowing Elaya would not want their leader and her lover worrying when she should be resting, "It's nothing. Just a small scuffle. Elaya took care of it though, so you need to go to bed."

"No...I have to fix things first," Sera repeated, "i have to apologize...to her..."

Lairia knew better than to ask for what so she simply helped Sera from falling, looking down the hall then back into the bed room, "How about I get you back in bed and bring Elaya in?"

Sera agreed and Lairia got her into the bed, tucking her in. Stepping out of the house she found Elaya and Kai talking, Kai nodding to her words as he took the bag of gold and loped into the trees. Lairia stepped up to Elaya, looking over to the barn.

"Can I speak to Rey yet?" she asked first, pursing her lips, "I have a few things I want to clear up with him. Oh and, uh Seraphina woke up. She wanted to see you but I convinced her to stay in the bed and wait for you. She said she needed to talk or apologize to you over something. I'd hurry though Elaya, she looked pretty exhausted."

She wasn't trying to be bossy or anything, but she knew Seraphina could fall back asleep at any moment. What she and Elaya didn't know was Sera had already fallen back asleep, lost in her dreams again.

~

Meanwhile Kai headed into town, looking around till he found the Sheriff's office and knocked on the door. His hair was rustled and a mess but otherwise his clothes were clean.

Elaya raised her jaw at Lairia's words. She sniffed and sighed. "She is asleep. And when you go sneaking come from down wind. It blows your scent away from your target. No you cannot speak to Rey yet. Tatia is the first who will see him. if she lets him live you make speak to him. But for the record what I meant is that Rey needs to be the center of attention from attractive women. When he isn't he gets needy and cranky. he's always been pretty. Always been the most attractive man around. He's better with you. I know how that sounds, but it's true. If Tatia lets him live you should forgive him."

She sighed. "He did what he did because he was scared and worried for her. He's seen a lot in his time. including honeypots. He was worried and scared for her. And though i am pissed about him handling her, he did save her life. He's being punished, and will be punished. He still has a long penance due. But there is something of value there if you want it. Just something to think about."

She touched the mage's arm in a light friendly way, then left, going to check on Sera. She sighed and reached down stroking her hair and neck. "Everything is alright my love. our people are safe."

She sighed then leaned down kissing the redhead's forehead, then her lips. "i miss you. Everyone is so scared....including me."

She snuggled with her lover closing her eyes.

~

Reno opened the door and smiled. "Well hi."

Kai would never see Lodestone proper. but he also would never complain about it. He also would be sore for the next week, but in a truly delightful way.

~

Gerry had Amitiel stop twenty miles away from the spot given to Drea, then sighing, began to walk in toward her and her Rythert, making sure they could feel and sense him coming. Amitiel circled the area high in the area, making sure they could see him as well, but also that he was far enough away not to encroach upon her., now more than fifty miles away from her and her lovers. He would not leave the area itself, sending his own message, which was conveyed to Tatia, that he was there solely to recon the area, and if Tatia wanted he would leave.

Lairia pursed her lips. She should have known better to try and sneak past a wolf. But that still didn't stop her from retorting, "so there's a chance he will die and you won't even let me see him?"

It was obvious she was upset, "I get it. He fucked up. He made a mess of things and there needs to be consequences. But not allowing me to see him is unacceptable. I hired you to protect me from my enemies, not the group!"

She turned on her heel and stormed away, marching right into her guest room and shutting the door, locking it with magic. At least none of them could break through that. If they would not let her see Rey then they would not see her either. Sitting on the bed cross legged with her dress fanned out around her she closed her eyes and concentrated, knowing this spell required a great deal of energy. But she needed to do this.

Rey? her mind reached out, touching his. No one would know she was doing this, how could they? This was warlock magic. No Mage or sorceress could even touch the magic she wielded, Are you there baby? What's going on? Are you hurt? Elaya refuses to let me even see you. I've been worried.

Rey jumped at her touch and whimpered. I'm alright. Thank you. But you really don't want to see me just now...

He sighed and reached back through the connection. She isn't letting me see you, and vice versa, because she doesn't want me drinking. And you are so very tempting. If you get us a chaperone she will probably let you see me. but I can't drink of you.

Elaya's ears twitched. She had no clue why. She never would. But she turned toward the barn, and growled.

Rey gulped. She also would let you see me if Tatia decided I needed to die....did you yell at her?

~

Elaya rolled her eyes. Whatever it was bugging her she couldn't define it, and she wasn't going to worry about it.

His words were as clear as day in her mind. Her eyes opened and she could see him, although he could not see her. She was still in the bedroom, and if anyone could walk in and see they'd find her eyes open but murky white throughout. Blood trickled from her nose with the effort but she ignored it, knowing no one could see.

Then why not just tell me I cannot let you drink? Why keep me from you? She won't let me see you at all Rey, not until Tatia sees you. If she even will. They are out trying to bring her back now. What did you do? Please, what is going on? Elaya said you were...jealous. Are you? Am I...not enough?

She waited for his reply, wanting to know. She wouldn't have him leading her on if he was into another. It hurt Lairia to think she had let it go this far that her heart hurt at the thought of breaking things off. But she needed to respect herself. And dating a man whose attentions were on another was not something she was prepared to do.

He sighed. No....not in the way you think. Elaya is right. im very selfish... usually i am better about it. But i was hurt that she could throw me over so easily, never thinking about her feelings. But no i have no real interest in her. She just wounded my ego.... the outburst was based a lot more in my fears for her.

He sighed again. I remember a time when a girl, very like Tatia, finally got everything she wanted. Including a 'true' love. They tortured her, her family, stole all the wealth, then murdered the lot.A whole bloodline gone forever because of greed... i just panicked. probably because I sensed or saw the merfolken killers incoming. I think i saw them coming... i am sorry.

Also if you want a real answer she won't let us see another because she is reminding me just how much she dislikes violence directed at women. She is telling me in a very painful way that I am very close to truly pissing her off. if I had done this while Sera was awake she likely would have set me aflame for it. She still might.

Lairia wiped the blood from her nose as she listened, watching him sitting there in the barn, looking in pain. He looked like he was in rough shape. But as much as her heart ached to soothe the pain so did her mind warn her that this was how she'd get hurt. A man with an ego who wanted the attention of pretty girls would never settle for just one. Her father had always told her that, before he disappeared.

You broke her heart Reynault, and not gently. She told me as much. But I thought you were doing it for her good, so she wasn't led on false hope. Now I see your toying with her? She finally moved on and you embarrassed her and me, and made me make a fool of myself to defend you when she had done nothing wrong! And the reasons were because you wanted her attentions? Don't...don't take it back now and say it was the Merfolk or that you saw another within her. Don't lie. Maybe it's a good thing Elaya won't let us speak. I don't think I can face you at this moment. I asked you to court me because I need respect in order to be with a man. This, well I won't play second best to her if this is what is going on.

She cut the connection then rather forcefully, and at the last second too as the taste of iron filled her mouth. Angry tears threatened to spill but she held them back, trying to stand so she could splash some water on her face in the washroom. Climbing off the bed the room suddenly tilted and grew blurry. And then everything went dark.

~

No one heard her faint. There was too much noise with the children running about and just as she fainted one came in screaming about the sun falling from the sky. The little boy ran to the older men first and then down the guest rooms, banging on the doors till he found the right one. The children knew Elaya was the leader, having no deeper concept that it could be the sleeping girl in the room. And they were scared.

"Elaya," he called, "help! The sun is falling!"

Elaya was outside in an instant. "The what?!"

She studied the sky, looking for the trouble, but also barked an order to Drea. "Duldrea. Go find the sorceress. Something is bugging me about her."

Drea obeyed, but yelped when she could not open the door. "Elaya?!

~

Rey was stunned at the words. He didn't want Tatia. He truly didn't...but he had been childish. And selfish.

he groaned as he realized that this, This was truly why Elaya was so angry with him. He had risked everything, just to because some girl had moved on. He shook himself and flopped into a stall, grunting at the pain, but knowing it was well deserved, and a mercy in truth. How could he convince Lairia that he was not so weak and shallow. What could he do?

For once in his long life, he didn't have an answer. The knowledge hurt him bitterly, and despite himself he began to weep. Thick black tears of regret, pain, fear, and sorrow.

The children dragged Elaya out, pointing at the sky. The sun was still there and setting, although the children were not even looking in that direction. They were looking east, towards what looked like a giant ball of fire hurdling towards them.

"It's going to hit us!" Some of them cried and ran indoors while other quivered behind Elaya. The ball of fire did indeed seem to be heading straight for the ranch. Yet it would be almost familiar to Elaya. It was a brighter fire than most, and it...it almost certainly had wings like a bird, but these two were on fire. Suddenly a shrill screaming noise sounded through the sky and the last of the children ran indoors as the ball of fires collision course was indeed the lawn at Elayas feet. As it broke the tree line it defied physics and slowed down, then suddenly opened and what had looked like a ball was indeed an enormous hawk like creature on fire. A Phoenix. One quite larger than Seraphina herself, but did not burn as bright. It landed, massive talons digging into the earth as it shrieked again and burst into flames. Shrinking, the flames reformed into a very familiar man who shook his red hair out as he peered around, finally staring at Elaya. He was stark naked, but he did not seem to care.

"Elaya," his tone sounded funny, almost as if it was slightly off, but it held nothing cheery in it either, his eyes worried and guarded, "Where is my sister?"

Elaya moved toward him and smiled, but her eyes were fully purpled. "She's inside."

She blinked and let her eyes water. "She burned too much. I can't let you inside until you've lowered your temperature though. The house is wood. So please brother. Back it down some."

She had shifted to block his path, and Phoenix or not, she was ready and willing to fight him to protect the house and the children within, but she wanted this to be friendly so she held up her hands, just to show she needed him to do what he could protect the house and it's inhabitants.

She was about to say more when Drea called her name.

"What is it Drea?"

"I can't get through Lairia's wards."

Elaya growled. "Alright. Calm the kids down." She looked back at the newcomer, sniffing at his body, truly unimpressed. "By the way your sister looks better naked." She had once liked men, but now the very sight of nude male annoyed her. Especially compared to the perfection of her Seraphina.

She let the thought of that body bring a smile to her lips. She carried through with the smile. "in fact if you want to put on some clothes and tell me what has you so troubled I'll go get Sera. She should be awake by now. And thrilled to see you....Are you hungry by the way? We have some good food. Nothing like your sushi but...."

He leaned to the left, looking through the door than back at Elaya, seeing her block his path. He wanted to just march around her but instead he crossed his arms and let out his breath, "My temperature is lowered now. All good. Let me through Elaya."

As she was distracted he made a move for the door, almost pausing at her odd choice of words about his naked body, "I wouldn't expect you to like me over my sister. I'm sure Sera would be offended if you did."

Then with a sigh that sounded dangerously close to impatient annoyance he twirled a small gem on the end of a necklace he wore and suddenly he was clothed in jeans and plaid shirt. He looked mildly uncomfortable in them but the look quickly died away as he returned to his worried expression. He finally got passed her, slipping into the house with her on his heels as he marched down the hall, making a beeline for the guest room with her in it, "I'm clothed, alright? And don't joke Elaya, we both know Sera is doing badly. I got a distress signal from her. I need to see my sister."

Finding the door he pushed it open, seeing her lying there, quite asleep. He let out a dark growl, his eyes growing more worried and angry by the second, "I can't believe she got this bad and didn't call me sooner! I don't need food Elaya, I can't even think of cooking till my little sister is safe. I need to get her outside."

He scooped her up without ceremony and turned, staring at Elaya to let him pass.

Back
Top Bottom