Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Taming the wolf, a Hogwarts romance. (The Deviant x Wolfman)

Aurelia seemed to be sympathetic to Filius' distracted mood, although she seemed to think that Frederick Vainwyrm was the cause of it. He was an unwelcome distraction, but what had Filius distracted was something other, something primal. He agreed to her plan, though, but he didn't want to give her too much of a head start. He followed after less than two minutes.

Aurelia had been right to worry about Frederick, it seemed. He was following her. Filius didn't have to stay within sight of them, as he could easily smell them as they progressed through the winding streets of Hogsmeade. There was the familiar and welcome heady smell of Aurelia, mixed with a sickening combination of aftershave and sour testosterone that was Frederick Vainwyrm.

As they left Hogsmeade, Filius sometimes caught sight of Vainwyrm up ahead. He could also smell Aurelias fear. Then he heard a spell go off up ahead, and Filius felt a degree of disbelief as the sounds of a struggle reached him. He started jogging, fearful of what he might find. At least none of the Unforgivable Curses had been cast, for which he was grateful. And then he heard Vainwyrm hiss: "I won't bother trying to stun you my dear, I like a little struggle," and Filius' trot turned into a mad charge. He faintly registered a hard slap and Aurelia's yelp of pain and then her screams, and The Wolf threatened to emerge. That was something new to Filius, and he forced himself to calm down.

Pulling out his wand, he rounded a bend and caught Vainwyrm redhanded assaulting the love of his life. An icy calm had settled over Filius, and he raised his wand and yelled "Expelliarmus!" before following up with "Petrificus Totalus!" Vainwyrm had time to look stupidly at his wand as it sailed out of his hand before he was frozen in place, a stupid gawping look on his face. He tipped over and rolled around a few times, ending up on his back with his head twisted so that his eyes were level with the ground away from Filius and Aurelia.

Only now did Filius register Hagrid's roars of outrage as the gentle half-giant came thundering down the path towards Aurelia, Filius, and Frederick, brandishing his umbrella in a menacing manner. "FREDERICK VAINWYRM, KEEP YER HANDS OFF OF LIA!!!" Filius went to Aurelia and helped her up, shaking now that Vainwyrm was dealt with. "Are you all right?" he asked with a thin voice, brimming with emotion.

The young girl embraced Filius as he helped her up, shaking violently and sobbing into his chest. She felt violated and dirty even though Vainwyrm hadn't gotten the chance to do what he intended. She vaguely heard Hagrid dragging him to the castle to be dealt with by McGonagall. Aurelia looked up at her lover and clung tighter to him. "C-Can you take me to the prefects' bathroom so I can clean up? I really don't wanna be alone," she whimpered, still trembling.

She kept close to Filius as they made their way back to Hogwarts, but she couldn't shake the feeling that they were still being watched. She chalked it up to early symptoms of PTSD and pushed it to the back of her mind. They headed to the prefects' bathroom where she locked the door behind them and began to strip, blushing a little. Filius hadn't seen her totally nude up until now, and her face grew warm as she exposed herself to him.

"Do you think you could join me?" she asked softly, looking at him over her should as she bent down to start the water and some bubbles. She wanted desperately to scrub Vainwyrm's filthy prints off of her, and get the comforting familiarity and arousing warmth of Filius's hands on her in the process.

Filius too felt that their troubles weren't over. There was another menace more dire than Frederick Vainwyrm out there. He sensed it. He could smell it. But for now, all that mattered to him was to look after Aurelia. What happened next both surprised and alarmed and delighted him in equal measure. She needed a bath, which was understandable given what had just happened. It was, Filius had understood, a normal reaction for victims of rape or attempted rape.

So they went to the prefect's bathroom. Filius wasn't sure whether or not it was okay for him to be watching her as she undressed, but the way she looked at him whenever he glanced in her direction made him realise she was comfortable enough that he could look at her. She had a beautiful body, although marred by bruises after the assault. It was youthful, well proportioned, and firm. Filius could again only marvel at the incredible luck he'd had when he accepted the position as a teacher here.

"Do you think you could join me?"

Filius nodded mutely, unable now to take his eyes off of the tempting form in front of him. He started stripping as she filled the tub with scented soaps and water. He knew she watched him undress, but he didn't mind. She'd seen him naked before, after all. There were few secrets left between them as far as their bodies went, and what few secrets they had left they'd explore together.

Despite what had almost happened, Filius grew hard as he watched her. He felt ashamed, but unable to correct his reaction. He decided not to make a fuss over it one way or the other. If she showed any distaste he'd ask her to help him grow limp with that wonderful charm she'd used in class that one time.

Holding hands, they slipped into the water together. Filius started washing and massaging her as he spoke softly and soothingly to her. He always told where he'd put his hands next and he told her to tell him if he made her uncomfortable.

Aurelia blushed a little at Filius's reaction to her body. Had it been anyone else, she would've been angry after what had happened, but she knew he couldn't help it and in all honesty, she was still flattered. She gave him a shy smile as they lowered into the warm water together.

As he washed and massaged her, she grew less and less tense, her eyes closing as she leaned against him. She smiled and took one of his hands in hers. "You could never make me uncomfortable. Just be careful around the bruises," she murmured, moving closer until she was in his lap. Her striking blue eyes met his grey ones as she guided his hand down under the water between her thighs.

"Would you mind if I accompanied you to your chambers after our bath, Professor?" she asked coyly, smiling as she pressed up against him. The way he'd come to her aid, the gentleness he'd shown her, she knew she was ready to give him everything if he was ready to have her. A part of her felt ashamed for getting aroused so soon after being attacked, but she couldn't help the way her body reacted to Filius's touch - it was both calming and exciting, making her want him in any possible way she could have him.

"I-I understand if you don't want to go that far just yet," she added, blushing brightly. "I just don't want to be without you tonight... You always make me feel so safe."

He turned her around so they could see eye to eye. For the longest time he looked her in the eyes, blue meeting gray in unblinking scrutiny. Her tone left Filius with no doubt in his mind what she wanted tonight. A part of him wanted to be with her tonight, make love to her. He was tired of being a virgin, and he knew she wanted him to be her first. That thought alone was so flattering and so heady that he grew almost dizzy.

But she'd just been traumatized. Filius was unsure whether she wanted to go all the way with him tonight because she truly wished it, or because she was doing like so many victims of rape or near rape: being sexually aggressive as a reaction to what had happened, a means to feel she was in control of her body. If the last was true, Filius would be reduced to nothing more than a fuckstick for her to reassert herself.

And so, he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her tenderly before telling her: "I know what you want from me, Aurelia. I can hear it in your voice and I can smell your arousal. But I think we should wait. I hate doing this, but so soon after what happened to you? It doesn't feel right. I want our first lovemaking to not be marred by the memory of that foul little weasel trying to have his way with you. Don't for a moment think that I don't love you anymore, because I do. I was so afraid for you and so angry at him when I heard him assault you that The Wolf almost emerged. I've never experienced that before. We need, both of us, to be in a calmer state when we finally make love to each other. And so," he kissed her forehead, "I want us," he pecked her nose, "to wait." He kissed her lips.

She blushed and giggled as he kissed down to her lips, giving him a soft smile as she returned his kisses. "I understand Filius. I love you so much," she murmured, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Can I still spend the night with you? I'm afraid to go anywhere near the Slytherin common room..." she admitted. Her body still pressed against his, seeking more of his comforting closeness.

Aurelia had never felt anything like this about anyone, and she never imagined she could feel such a connection with another person. Yet, after just about a month, she felt like she'd known Filius her whole life. She loved him deeply and wanted him desperately.

Soon the water began to grow cold and Aurelia stood up, bending over to drain the tub before stepping out and pulling Filius with her. She used a charm to dry herself off before slipping back into her tight cotton jumper and dark grey skinny jeans, pulling her hair back into a loose bun and carrying her cloak close to her. She used the same drying charm on Filius and pulled him in for a long, soft kiss before letting him get dressed.

"So... Would you like to arrange a date for our first time, or let it happen spontaneously?" she asked with a smile. "Personally I could go either way." She let her eyes roam over him, remembering the night she gave him the potion and beaming at the memory of the morning after.

"Of course you can spend the night with me. But remember what we talked about," he said, wagging his finger in a poor attempt at trying to sound like a stern professor. He managed to keep a straight face for two seconds, and then he giggled selfconsciously. There was seriousness behind his levity, though. All bad thoughts and memories needed to be behind them.

He watched her leave the tub, and he groaned inwardly as he watched her perfect form gracefully tiptoe over to the towels to dry herself off. She dried him off and pulled him in for a kiss while asking a rather loaded question. Filius pondered for a moment, then: "I think we'll have to play it by ear. Let's agree to each other now that we respect the other person's 'no' with no questions asked and no hard feelings."

In his mind, Filius had started planning a perfect seduction for her. But he said not a hint of a word to her about it. He wanted it to be a surprise.

As they left the bath, they were approached by Hagrid, a frantic look in his eyes. "Where have the pair of yeh bin at? I've bin lookin' all over for you!" Hagrid explained that McGonagall wanted to see the both of them. As they briskly marched to her office, Hagrid told about how the head of Slytherin house had flat out rejected Hagrid's story. And Frederick, of course, had denied ever laying hands on Aurelia. So they needed to substantiate Hagrid's story.

They entered McGonagall's office to find her, Frederick, and the head of Slytherin house waiting for them. When Frederick saw Filius he sprang to his feet and yelled: "Keep that MONSTER away from me! He attacked me without provocation! He petrified me and left me lying on the cold ground. I might be sick!" Filius watched him, an incredulous look on his face. How DARE he!? was the only thought running through his head.

McGonagall stopped Fredrick and the head of Slytherin with a withering stare. "If you're QUITE finished, Mr. Vainwyrm?" Then she turned her gaze on Filius and Aurelia. "Well?", she asked. Filius told a slightly modified version of the truth. He told of how he'd heard the sound of struggle because of his keen senses ('because you're a freak' muttered Frederick, earning him a contemptuous stare from McGonagall), and how he'd heard him tell Aurelia "I won't bother trying to stun you my dear, I like a little struggle,". McGonagall's face turned deathly white, but she looked at Filius and simply said "continue." Filius told of how he'd disarmed and petrified Frederick and taken Aurelia for a quick debrief, a muggle process which meant to relive the trauma as soon as possible to be able to acknowledge and move on after a traumatic incident.

McGonagall nodded sharply, then turned her now softening gaze on Aurelia. "Is there anything you'd like to add to the story, Miss Archambault?"

"I think we'll have to play it by ear. Let's agree to each other now that we respect the other person's 'no' with no questions asked and no hard feelings."

She nodded in agreement and smiled, holding his hand as they left. Soon Hagrid found them and explained the situation, leading them to McGonagall's office. Aurelia felt herself grow ill the closer she got to Vainwyrm even if she couldn't see him yet. As they walked in and her attacker stood up and tried to pin the whole thing on Filius, Hagrid had to physically restrain her, which she was certain must've looked quite comical due to the immense size difference. Perhaps it would've been funny if she wasn't face to face with the boy who'd tried to rape her and was now accusing her lover of attacking him for no reason.

Aurelia listened to Filius's recount of the events, visibly shuddering when he quoted Frederick and hugging her cloak tightly to her chest. As McGonagall addressed her, she looked up with an icy glance in Vainwyrm's direction.

"I'd like to add that if he comes near me again I won't hesitate to use any combination of the Unforgivable Curses, Headmistress. It's not a threat, it's a fair warning," she said coldly. She met Frederick's eyes and suddenly felt very sick to her stomach, trembling with fear and anger - she knew she wouldn't be able to handle ever being alone with the boy again, and she wanted desperately to leave with Filius, to get away from prying eyes so that he could hold her and comfort her some more.

"I'd like to add that if he comes near me again I won't hesitate to use any combination of the Unforgivable Curses, Headmistress. It's not a threat, it's a fair warning." Filius almost lost it when he heard Frederick scoff derisively at that threat.

Minerva McGonagall, former head of Gryffindor, veteran of the battle of Hogwarts, and headmistress, fixed Aurelia with a stare so cold that Filius could have sworn the temperature in the room dropped. "As you've just been subjected to an attempt of one of the vilest crimes imaginable, I shall be lenient with you, Miss Archambault. But threaten ANY of your fellow students with ANY of the unforgivable curses again, and I shal expel you. And speaking of expulsion... Frederick Vainwyrm, I hereby expel you from Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, effective immediately. Your parents have been notified and the elves are already packing your belongings. Rest assured that the proper authorities have been notified of your conduct and that Inquisitors from the Ministry of Magic will be around to interrogate you."

There was a sharp intake of breath from the head of Slytherin and from Frederick. Vainwyrm had grown pale, his face a mask of unbridled fury. Before anyone could stop him he had his wand out, but before Filius had registered what was happening, McGonagall's loud voice rang out: "Expelliarmus", and Vainwyrm's wand flew out of his hand. McGonagall studied it, oblivious to Frederick's protests. "I fought Voldemort's armies, boy," she said calmly. "Do you think a youngling like you could ever faze me? Now be off with you before I lose my temper! You won't be needing your wand. Your conduct today has shown me that handing you a wand is like... what was that muggle phrase, Filius?" Filius jumped in: "Like handing a loaded gun to a child, headmistress."

Frederick skulked out of the Headmistress office. McGonagall looked at the three remaining people. "Rubeus, you may go. Thank you for your assistance in this distasteful matter." Filius and Aurelia were now alone with McGonagall. "Filius, Miss Archambault, please be seated," she said. When they were seated, she looked gravely at the both of them. "I can't control what students and professors do with their spare time here at Hogwarts," she began. Filius' heart sank. He knew what was coming. "I also know that two loving hearts won't be denied. I'm not going to stand here and pretend that I like what's going on between the two of you."

The room was now deadly silent. All the headmasters' portraits were watching the proceedings intently. "But," she sighed, "you Aurelia are almost considered a grownup now, and you Filius... I know life has been hard on you. And I wish you happiness. Because life can be nasty, brutish, and short. And happiness must be seized wherever found."

Okay, no, Filius hadn't ecpected THIS!

McGonagall stood up and started pacing the room. "I can't officially condone what's between the two of you. The rules forbid it. And I happen to think that rules are there for a reason." She sighed, and Filius could see the turmoil inside her. "Just... be discrete, the both of you. And for Merlin's sake, be happy!" She trned around, and Filius was surprised to see her eyes were glazed and red and her face a little hectic. She returned to her desk and picked up Frederick's wand. She weighed it in her hands. "10 inches, polished oak, basilisk's scales, if I'm not mistaken." She handed it to Aurelia. "Destroy it. Destroy his wand. Break his power, Miss Archambault. I think it only fitting that you be the one to do it."

Aurelia was stunned. McGonagall was really turning a blind eye to hers and Filius's relationship. She gave the older woman a bright smile as she took the wand, snapping it in two. "Thank you, Headmistress. For everything," she said, beaming at Filius. She stood up, feeling an enormous weight lifted off her shoulders. She knew the obstacles their relationship would face weren't limited to people like Frederick Vainwyrm, or the reactions of their community if they were found out before Aurelia finished school, but all other bridges would be crossed when the time came. For now, she would take her professor's advice and seize happiness wherever found.

"Well, it's been a very long and trying day, and I'm more than ready for bed. Professor Solwer, would you mind walking me to the Slytherin Common room?" she asked, giving him a discrete wink. She led the way out of McGonagall's office and toward his chambers, unable to wipe the smile off her face.

The corridors were empty, even the ghosts weren't out roaming, so she held Filius's hand as they leisurely strolled to his room. Once they were inside with the door locked, she cast a charm to change into her bedclothes, a simple tank top and knickers, and crawled into his bed. She looked up at him and pulled the duvet back for him, smiling.

As he joined her, Aurelia began to wonder what it would be like to sleep next to him every night and wake up next to him every morning. She smiled at the thought as she laid her head on his chest and hooked one of her legs around his waist, snuggling into his embrace as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

Filius couldn't believe it. They had McGonagall's tacit blessing! It was more than he'd ever hoped for. Filius' head swam with happy grateful thoughts. As Aurelia snapped Frederick's wand, Filius hoped that would be the last of it, though he doubted it. The Vainwyrm family was rich and respected, and though they were under suspicion, it had never been proven that they'd been supporters of Voldemort during the last unpleasantness.

Walking with Aurelia now, Filius nevertheless felt that one major obstacle had been passed. He found himself smiling as he walked the deserted corridors.

Watching her casually magic away her clothes and jumping into his bed, Filius felt a renewed ache in his chest. He so wanted to make love to her that it was an almost physical ache. But they needed to wait. And so he manually changed into boxers and climbed into bed with her, letting her embrace him as she fell asleep. Filius stayed awake watching her.

There was a peacefulness to her face as she drifted off that made Filius' heart ache even more. She seemed so happy! That wouldn't last. Half an hour later, and she was stirring in her sleep, then screaming. Filius woke her up and assaured her she was safe and that it had been a nightmare, nothing more. This happened once more before she apparently drifted off for good. So did Filius.

The new sensation was all around him, an omnipresent threat. Filius searched everywhere, to no avail. It was maddeningly familiar yet foreign. It hinted of malice and menace, it was an omen of quick brutal death and despair. Filius thought he'd started comprehending what it was, only to-

wake up. It was morning, and Aurelia was still sleeping next to him. "Hey sleepyhead" he murmured as he slowly kissed her awake. Tired confused grunts were replaced by smiles and kissing back as she slowly woke up. It was sunday, and the whole day aly ahead of them. Filius and Aurelia lay in bed for half an hour, slowly waking up and relishing the warmth of each other's company. Then, reluctantly, as their stomachs started growling, they got up.

For appearances sake, they had to leave his chambers separately. Filius went after Aurelia after many kissing goodbyes. Heading into the main hall, he stole several glances at his love while registering that the Slytherin table was in an upheaval. Frederick Vainwyrm's expulsion had not gone unnoticed. Sitting down at the professor's table, and Hagrid leaned over with graver news. Someone had destroyed the wards during the night.

Aurelia knew night terrors were to be expected after her trauma, but that didn't make them any less worrisome. Her sleep was plagued with nightmares, some of Vainwyrm completing his assault and robbing her of the chance to give Filius her innocence, which usually had her waking up in tears only to be comforted and lulled back to sleep by her love. Others were different.

A wolf was chasing her again, but this was no playful game of desire. She was running for her life from a monstrous wolf, considerably larger than her Filius, with dark grey fur and yellow eyes that glowed menacingly. She cried out for Filius, she could hear him calling her, but they couldn't reach each other. The wolf jumped on her back, long bloody fangs sinking into her shoulder as a burning sensation coursed through her body and an unearthly sound between a scream of pain and howl of joy forced its way from her throat. Then the image changed - it felt like a long time later, she and Filius stood over a mangled body, hands and faces caked with blood as they embraced for a post-victory kiss that felt oddly familiar in her subconscious.

She woke up to Filius's lips on hers and grumbled sleepily before smiling and returning the kiss, trying to push the initial shock that she couldn't taste blood in her mouth to the back of her mind. Something was wrong, very wrong, something was going to happen, but for now she would bask in the warmth and happiness that flowed through her in her lover's presence.

The pair woke up slowly, kissing and embracing until their stomachs rumbled. Aurelia sighed as she got dressed, not wanting to leave Filius's side, but she had to leave before him or risk rousing suspicion.

She sat at the end of the Slytherin table closest to the staff, waiting eagerly for Filius to arrive as she tried to ignore the whispers and pointed glares in her direction. She'd never felt so unsafe around her own housemates - she knew Vainwyrm was well-liked, though the reason why was beyond her, but the fact that nearly all of Slytherin was now against her for not letting him get away with trying to violate her was ridiculous. The boys who'd once looked at her with lust and admiration now looked at her with disgust, though many of them still stole glances at her chest. She sighed in relief as Filius walked in and sat at the staff table. She saw Hagrid lean in and whisper something that seemed to trouble him, and she furrowed her brows.

Aurelia ate quickly, wanting to get away from her classmates as soon as she possibly could. She gave Filius a look, nodding towards the door as she tried to tell him to wait a little while and then meet her outside. She headed out to the grounds and sat down on the shore of the Black Lake, waiting for him to join her. There were no classes today and it was too cold for most people to come outside to intrude upon them.

Filius was shocked by the news about the wards. Who could have done such a thing? Not Vainwyrm, he was almost certain of that. He'd been whisked away to his parents' home shortly after his little display in McGonagall's office. Who, then? Filius nervously started chewing his lower lip. The first full moon was tonight! He'd either have to be locked inside the castle or pray that Aurelia's potion worked. He discussed his options with McGonagall. They agreed that he at least for the first night should be locked in the dungeon while they tested Aurelia's potion. McGonagall leaned in to whisper: "Young Miss Archambault is really taking chances on your behalf, Filius." She glanced at the ring Aurelia had given him. She smiled discretely. "I believe someone is waiting for you outside, Filius. Have a nice day, then come to meet me near the dungeons tonight."

When Filius looked up, Aurelia was gone. Without rushing so as not to rouse any suspicion, he finished his breakfast and sauntered outside. He hated not seeing her and he hated not being allowed to simply run after her, but they had to play it cool to avoid people finding out about them. He finally thought he could leave without seeming too conspicuous, and he got up and simply followed Aurelia's scent.

He found Aurelia sitting by the lake. Timidly sidling up to her was a Hufflepuff girl, the same age as Aurelia. She jumped when she saw Filius and hurried off. Filius got the impression she'd been crying. Her name was Violet Beauregarde, an average student blessed with above average looks. Filius shrugged. Aurelia was waiting for him. Filius sat down beside her, exhaling as he did so. "The wards are gone, Aurelia. Someone's destroyed them. I'll have to sleep in the dungeons tonight. Or if I can find that room again that I used when I went here. It was right by the picture of the trolls in tu-tus."

It was infuriating. It had taken several of the teachers the best part of two weeks to ready the wards.

Aurelia heard footsteps behind her and turned around quickly, expecting Filius. Instead, there stood Violet Beauregarde, a Hufflepuff in her year. Aurelia tried not to look too disappointed - Violet had always been quite kind to her. The girl looked as though she'd been crying. "Violet, what's wrong?" she asked, a genuine look of concern on her face. Violet sat down next to her, sighing softly. She ran a hand through her messy blonde locks and turned to Aurelia.

"Something's wrong, Aurelia. I saw it in Divination today. You're in very grave danger," she said softly, as if afraid someone might hear. Aurelia let out a soft sigh of her own, relieved that she and Filius weren't the only ones sensing trouble. "I know, Vi. Something's coming."

"I think it's Professor Solwer."

Aurelia turned to her, sputtering in shock. She quickly regained her composure - all Violet knew was that Aurelia was in danger and their new professor was a werewolf. It seemed logical to anyone outside their small circle that the man could be her demise, but she knew better, especially after that dream.

"Trust me Vi, it's not him. Don't ask me how I know, it's... really complicated. Just trust me when I say there's something else very wrong going on and we all need to watch our backs, but Professor Solwer is not the problem."

"I saw a wolf, Aurelia."

"So did I. It wasn't him."

Her voice turned stern, clearly offended that her friend would try to argue further. Violet sighed, looking as though she wanted to question Aurelia but thought better of it. Her eyes went wide and she jumped up, muttering a goodbye before scurrying off. Aurelia groaned inwardly as she stared out onto the water, silently envying the merfolk for having so little to worry about aside from the giant squid. She got so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't realise Filius was present until he sat next to her.

"The wards are gone, Aurelia. Someone's destroyed them. I'll have to sleep in the dungeons tonight. Or if I can find that room again that I used when I went here. It was right by the picture of the trolls in tu-tus."

He looked almost as angry as Aurelia felt. She knew how long those wards took, and she could only imagine what would happen if the school found out they were no longer protected by them and then someone went missing. Regardless of the actual case, Filius would automatically be blamed, and she didn't know if she, Hagrid, and McGonagall could save him. And certainly no one would listen to her if she tried to tell them about the wolf she saw in her dream, except maybe Violet, her aunt Sybil, and the new Divination professor. Aurelia hugged her knees to her chest and rested her chin on them, closing her eyes as she tried to think clearly.

"Something is very, very wrong, Filius. Something's coming. Hogwarts is in danger, and it has very little to do with you, if anything. The room you're thinking of is the Room of Requirement, by the way. I can show you where it is, but first we need to do something. I've been working on the potion and I think I've got it right this time. I'll have to test it properly before trying to give it to you again, though. In the meantime, we've got to get to the bottom of this. I think another werewolf is trying to infiltrate Hogwarts - a rogue one, one that worked with Voldemort during the war and managed to escape prosecution."

She moved closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder as she spoke softly of her dream, hoping maybe he'd be able to help her decipher it.

Filius looked at her. How did she know so much? Not that he complained, he needed a knowledgeable ally on his side. He squeezed her hand in gratitude. "I don't think we have much of a choice regarding your potion. Either it works or it doesn't. Either way, I'll be locked in tonight. I can't think of a safer environment to test your potion in." The thought saddened him. He'd been safe within the wards and The Wolf, savage beast though he was, had enjoyed the freedom.

And then she told him about her dream. It was, to say the least, disconcerting. "You- you don't WANT to be a werewolf, do you Aurelia?" It had almost sounded like a part of her relished the thought. "It is a nasty life, sweetheart. You'll be eyed with suspicion and ostracized. And the change is painful." Filius shuddered at the thought of her having to go through the change. "Aurelia, you must promise me you don't go looking for the rogue werewolf on your own. Please, I can't bear the thought of you becoming cursed. Because it IS a curse, never doubt that!"

He rested his head on top of hers as they watched the giant squid show off its tentacles in the autumn sun. His mind was going a mile a minute as, he suspected, did hers. "The werewolf must have an accomplice!" Filius sat upright so quickly that Aurelia's head bounced off of his shoulder. After apologising, he continued: "I had enough trouble approaching the wards in human form. To touch them as a human might very well have hurt me. Someone is helping the rogue. But who? I'm almost certain it wasn't Vainwyrm, though I wouldn't put it past him. Maybe someone's been Imperiused?"

He rose abruptly. "I can't just sit here doing nothing. I want to investigate something." They marched off towards the forest. Nearing Hagrid's hut, they saw a gathering of students, professors and... centaurs? There were voices raised in anger, and one of the centaurs raised a massive bow at Filius when he saw him approach. "Back! Stay back, you foul creature!" The centaur was livid, the bowstring taut, the arrow that was nocked clearly had a silver head. Filius stopped and raised his hands.

"I'm as concerned about the rogue werewolf as you are," Filius said, earning him a scornful scoff from the centaurs. The gathered students were backing away uneasily and the professors stood wands at the ready. Filius softly explained: "I wanted to see if I could pick up the scent of the rogue wolf's accomplice. But now that so many of you have trampled around here, that is no longer an option." The menacing centaur laughed, a merriless sound. "YOU!? Humans have no senses worth speaking of!" Filius cocked his head and smiled: "You forget that the wolf with its senses resides within me all the time," he said sadly. He sniffed the air. "For instance, I should take care of that wound you have lest it grows infected."

The centaur seemed furious. For one wild moment it seemed he was about to loose the arrow against Filius. Then he turned around and galloped off. Filius slumped as the professors and students withdrew, eyeing him with trepidation and fear. At last, only he, Aurelia, and Hagrid remained.

"You- you don't WANT to be a werewolf, do you Aurelia?"

Aurelia grew quiet. She listened to him speak of the cons of his condition, and she knew he was right. Logically she knew she didn't want that, but a part of her mind was already forming a plan to have potions ready for each full moon with Filius and thinking back to something she'd read about wolves when she was younger - both male and female wolves will sometimes separate from their packs and become lone wolves so that they can go out and search for a mate, often traveling great distances, and the mating between two lone wolves is how new packs form. The logical part of her mind knew well that she was romanticizing the idea of suffering through Filius's condition right along with him, but the more she thought of it, she was so tired of the life she was leading. Where would she even go after Hogwarts? Her aunts would probably insist she work for the Ministry, the very Ministry that had done so little for Filius. The thought angered her and she tried to push it away.

"The werewolf must have an accomplice!"

Filius sat up abruptly, causing Aurelia to squeak in surprise as her head bounced off his shoulder. She listened to him explain, and when he stood up, so did she, heading to the forest with him. But something was going on outside Hagrid's hut.

After the encounter with the centaur, they were left alone with Hagrid. Aurelia turned to the gentle giant with a soft smile. "Hagrid, would you mind if we had a word with you?" she asked. He nodded and led them inside, brewing some tea and taking out some leftover tarts Aurelia had brought him the day before while Filius was busy with his classes. She sat down at his table and gestured for Filius to sit next to her as Fang bounded up and started nudging her with his head until she began to pet him.

Hagrid sat down across the pair with a bright smile. "You two sure look good together, I won' deny that," he said, pouring them each a cup of tea as Aurelia blushed. "Hagrid, the wards were destroyed last night, right? Did you see or hear anything?" she asked, deciding not to beat around the bush. Hagrid shook his head.

"Me an' Fang were asleep when it happened, Lia. I think I heard some voices outside me hut, but I wasn't fully awake, y'know? Coulda been a dream or somethin'. If ye decide to go out in the woods, both of you be careful, alright?"

Aurelia nodded, sipping her tea. "Have you noticed anything different lately? Anyone acting suspicious?"

The giant shook his head again. "I know what yer tryin' to get at Lia, but nobody's got anythin' against Filius anymore, 'cept maybe Vainwyrm or Filch. But Vainwyrm was taken away too quick to do anything, and Filch is a member of Hogwarts faculty."

The small girl nodded solemnly, mulling over this information in her mind. Filch was an old bitter squib who seemed to hate Filius, and it wouldn't surprise her if he was growing tired of working at Hogwarts.

"I know what yer tryin' to get at Lia, but nobody's got anythin' against Filius anymore, 'cept maybe Vainwyrm or Filch. But Vainwyrm was taken away too quick to do anything, and Filch is a member of Hogwarts faculty."

Filius smiled ruefully. Good old Hagrid. He'd never think ill of anyone unless there was absolute proof of any wrongdoing. As a boy, Filius had thought Hagrid naĂŻve. As he grew up, he realized that Hagrid was that rarest of creatures, a person trying his best to see good in others. It was an endearing trait, one that had caused Hagrid no end of trouble. But he spersisted.

"Can you tell us anything at all about the voices you heard, Hagrid? How many, deep, light, male female, ANYTHING?" Filius watched Hagrid squint his eyes and furrow his brow in concentration. He started speaking slowly: "Bear in mind I only heard fragments, now. But there were at least two voices. One female, not much more than a girl or a young woman, I'd say. One deep male voice. And..." Hagrid was quiet again as he thought hard. "And... there were sounds... like... snufflin'... gigglin'. Though that might have been me, dreamin'."

This left Filius not much wiser. Shrugging now, he lifted one of the delicious pies Hagrid had been serving. Afternoon came as they sat in Hagrid's hut, sharing stories and discussing several topics. It was the only place where Aurelia and Filius could be a couple in front of another person, and Filius found it very comforting to be allowed to sit next to Aurelia and let her lean into him as they held hands. Hagrid sometimes stopped and smiled indulgently as he watched them. "I'm happy for the both of yeh, I truly am," he told them several times as afternoon grew late.

Before they knew it, it was dinnertime. They walked together back to school and entered the great hall. McGonagall rose and made an announcement: "As you all are probably well aware of by now, the wards that kept Professor Solwer away from the school have been destroyed." Clearly, not everyone had heard this, and a wave of whispers and mutters washed through the hall. "We shall therefore take the unfortunate step of locking Professor Solwer away in the dungeons. I trust you all have learned the muffliato spell by now, so any howls should be blocked out and you should all get a good night's sleep. With the help of one of our brightest students," McGonagall favoured Aurelia with a quick glance and smile, "we are testing a new potion that will leave Professor Solwer with his senses even in wolf form. If it works, he should pose no threat to any of us."

Clearly, not everyone believed her. There were anxious glances directed at Filius, and Filch watched him intently, a hateful leer on his face. Filius just wanted to disappear. He hated this. The only thing making him want to stay was a bright young girl sitting at the Slytherin table. He sought her out with his eyes now, smiling as he found her.

Aurelia gave Filius a reassuring smile as she caught his eye. She'd spent most of the evening thinking hard about who Hagrid could've heard the night before, and her reassuring smile was replaced with a look of shock when something suddenly hit her. Something that made her feel incredibly stupid for not realizing sooner.

There were no classes that day.

"Something's wrong, Aurelia. I saw it in Divination today. You're in very grave danger."

Why would Violet lie? Was she helping the rogue werewolf, and feeling guilty about the possibility of Aurelia being hurt? The young Slytherin began to shake with anger, but she forced another smile at Filius, trying to comfort him as she devised a plan. Her friend had lied to her, there had to be a reason, and she was going to get to the bottom of it.

As soon as dinner was over, Aurelia headed up to the staff table to speak with McGonagall. "Headmistress, do you think we have time to test the potion and, if successful, get it to Professor Solwer before his transformation? I've got some... new information, that he and I need to discuss and if he deems it worthy of mention then I'd like to have a word with you as well." She leaned in closer. "I believe there is something very serious going on, someone has very ill intentions towards Hogwarts and has recruited the help of a student somehow," she whispered.

Filius watched Aurelia approach McGonagall, a determined look on her face. His keen ears managed to listen in on the conversation:

"Headmistress, do you think we have time to test the potion and, if successful, get it to Professor Solwer before his transformation? I've got some... new information, that he and I need to discuss and if he deems it worthy of mention then I'd like to have a word with you as well. I believe there is something very serious going on, someone has very ill intentions towards Hogwarts and has recruited the help of a student somehow,"

Filius walked over to them as McGonagall replied: "Miss Archambault, the only way we can successfully test your potion is for Professor Solwer to drink it. This isn't the time for half-measures. He must be locked away so we can observe him, and though I place great stock in your abilities as a witch, I must impress on you that while underaged, you and your well-being are MY responsibilities! And until I am certain that the professor poses no harm to anyone, you are NOT to be in the same room as him while he's in wolfshape. You will stay outside with us and watch the change."

Filius spoke up: "You did great last time, Aurelia. But I can't bear the thought of cursing you should you be a fraction of a second off. Give me the potion and lock me inside. If it works as it should, I should be able to both remember this conversation and speak with you." Here Filius lowered his voice: "To know that it's me, I shall tell you what I first noticed about you, Aurelia."

He was interrupted by someone loudly and pointedly clearing their throat. Filius looked around, and there stood Filch, the same hateful grin plastered on his face. He was armed with a silvered shortsword and a crossbow witha silvered bolt. McGonagall gave him a withering stare: "No Argus, I think you're enjoying this far too much. I think Hagrid is better suited to watch over us and interfere if need be." Filch went through several shades of red before shuffling off, muttering under his breath. He said some choice things about all of them that Filius did not care to repeat.

McGonagall looked at Aurelia: "Now then, Miss Archambault, I think you'd better produce some of that potion of yours. Meet us by the room of requirement. With me, Filius." And off they went.

Aurelia nodded her understanding and headed down to the dungeons, making a beeline for the potions classroom where her new batches of 'Lycan's Delite' were being stored. As she opened the door, she bumped right into none other than Violet Beauregarde. As the blonde girl fell back, the schoolbag she'd been clutching fell to the side and Aurelia watched with disbelief as several vials containing the red and silver substance rolled out.

"Violet... How could you?" she asked in a whisper, moving closer to the Hufflepuff. Violet tried to move back, looking as though she was going to start crying again. Aurelia's blood ran cold as she shot a hex, causing the taller girl to let out a yelp. She left with the word 'TRAITOR' spelled out in blemishes on her forehead while Aurelia gathered her potions and put all but one in a new hiding place.

When Aurelia reached the Room of Requirement, her face was red with suppressed anger. She handed the potion to Filius and forced a smile. "Hopefully it works this time, we really need to talk," she whispered to him, giving his hand a soft squeeze.

The Wolf was stirring. Filius felt the first stirring in his head of the beast trying to assert itself. Filius nodded at Hagrid and McGonagall, and they accompanied him to the room of requirement, flanking him like prison guards. Filius didn't mind, he felt himself protected from the stares and the whispers as they walked through the corridors together. There was an early full moon tonight, and Filius felt The Wolf's tugging grow ever stronger. Panic growing, Filius started trotting with McGonagall and Hagrid in tow.

They reached the Room of Requirement. It was equipped like a cage with a heavy lockable door with observation glass and an opening large enugh to hand items back and forth.

"This room never ceases to amaze me," McGonagall muttered. "Very well Filius! Inside! We got here just in time, by the looks of it." Filius was now sweating profusely as he fought back The Wolf. He hurried inside and slammed the door shut after him. He quickly undressed, making McGonagall turn away briefly. Then he felt Aurelia's scent grow stronger, and she was there.

A dainty little hand clutching a vial with potion shot through the opening and Filius, doubled over in pain now, cluthched the potion. The back of his mind registered a soft reassuring squeeze from that dainty little (morsel of food!) hand, and from far away a soothing voice, a voice he knew and loved told him: "Hopefully it works this time, we really need to talk,"

With a last conscious effort, Filius removed the stopper of the vial and downed the potion.

Hm. Not bad. Not bad at all. It's not bitter like it was last time, and the pain is gone. Did she stop the transformation? Filius looked on his hand and watch with a detached interest as it painlessly changed into a savage paw. He saw and felt fur sprout all over his skin, and he was forced down on all four. This is certainly a strange sensation, he thought.

He looked up and saw three familiar faces, friends look in on him. Oh, I know them! They're... they... I know that scent! Aurelia! He tried saying her name: "APHRRRELIAPH"! Okay. That was strange. He tentatively lifted his paw to find out what it was that was flapping so comically by the side of his face. He found a muzzle with flapping cheeks. I'll have to tighten my mouth to keep my cheeks from flapping too much, he thought.

Screwing up his face in concentration, he tried again: "OW-REEE-LIAH!" That was better. I still sound like a loony, though. The unexpected pun struck Filius as so funny that he started laughing. And he stopped. A series of high-pitched yips emanated from him as he rolled on the floor, laughing. "'I'm a loooneeee!" he barked and howled.

The Wolf was still in the back of his mind, letting him steer the body as if it was in his nature. Filius got lost for a few minutes as he for the first time consciously tested the body he inhabited. He tried standing up on his hind legs. It didn't work very well. He paced back and forth. Then he remembered the people on the other side og the door. He trotted over and placed his paws in the small opening so he could be level with their eyes.

"Ooreeleeah, itph workphs!" Damn those flapping cheeks! "It wooorks!" he repeated. "I rrremember noticiphng yourrr thththsmell the phphirrrst day ophph skool!"

Aurelia watched with fascination as the transformation started. He didn't appear to be in pain, and even when the change was complete, his eyes remained a steely grey.

"APHRRRELIAPH!"

Well, that was different. It didn't sound like any cry of pain she'd ever heard. Was he trying to say something?

"OW-REEE-LIAH!"

Her name. He said her name! The potion was working! Aurelia started laughing, a happy relieved laughter that was accompanied by teary eyes. She watched Filius laugh at some unsaid joke as he called himself a loony, and she couldn't help but giggle at the display. He appeared to be getting the hang of controlling the Wolf's body with his own consciousness. Then he put his paws in the opening and looked at her with his wonderful unchanged eyes.

"Ooreeleeah, itph workphs! It wooorks! I rrremember noticiphng yourrr thththsmell the phphirrrst day ophph skool!"

Aurelia nearly burst into tears of happiness, taking Filius's paws in her hands. "Oh Filius, my darling, this is wonderful! We never have to spend another full moon apart!" Her smile faded as she remembered there was a serious issue that needed to be addressed. "Filius, it's Violet. She's the accomplice. I caught her trying to steal my Lycan's Delite out of the Potions classroom, but I didn't have time to question her." She turned to McGonagall. "Violet Beauregarde has to be interrogated. She's the one who destroyed the wards, she's working with a rogue werewolf."

She turned back to Filius with a bright smile and reached her hand in the opening, petting him lovingly. "Darling, how do you feel?"

Filius found himself wagging his tail almost involuntarily when he saw how happy Aurelia was. He wanted to kiss her. Licking her hands was not a good option, he felt. Oh well, at least they could kind of talk together.

"Filius, it's Violet. She's the accomplice. I caught her trying to steal my Lycan's Delite out of the Potions classroom, but I didn't have time to question her. Violet Beauregarde has to be interrogated. She's the one who destroyed the wards, she's working with a rogue werewolf."

VIOLET!? Filius was saddened by this. She had seemed a bright enough and pleasant enough young woman. Unwittingly, Filius displayed his disappointment and sadness with his ears, and a soft whine escaped him. Aurelia reached through and petted him: "Darling, how do you feel?" Nuzzling against her hand almost like a cat, Filius replied: "Grrreat!"

Filius heard McGonagall say to Hagrid: "Lock down the castle, Rubeus. No-one enters or leaves until the moon sets." As if on cue, not too far off, a wolf howled. The effect on Filius was dramatic. His hairs stood on end and a deep growl emanated from his throat. "LETPH MMMMEE OWT, MCPHGONNAGL, IT MMEENS TTO HHHURRT SOMONE!" There was a triumphant malice in that howl, and Filius knew only too well what was happening. "HAGGRRRD, LETPH MMMEE OWT!!! PLEEEZ!"

Hagrid wrung his hands with uncertainty, looking from McGonagall to Filius. McGonagall seemed to ponder for a moment, then a new howl, much closer, rent the air, followed by a very human scream. Filius knew what was happening. "HHHHE MMMEENS TTTO KEEL HHHER!! I CAN STOP HIM!" McGonagall seemed to make up her mind. "Heavens help me if I'm wrong," she muttered as she unlocked the cage.

Filius bounded out the door in long powerful strides, not bothering to say anything, not waiting for the others to catch up. Filch was blocking his way. He stood trembling with a large crossbow at the ready, muttering "I have you now, beast." Filius put on a monumental burst of speed, dimly aware that a silvered bolt scratched his fur. He pounced on Filch, toppling him over, before he ran on. He snarled "IDDJIT" over his shoulder as he ran through the gates and out on the grounds.

"SPHUTTH DE GAYTTS" he called out. The presence he'd felt in Hogsmeade was here. It was malicious and cruel, and it had cornered its prey. Following the scent Filius rounded a corner and saw a large grey wolf slowly advancing on... Violet. With a tremendous roar, Filius charged.

Aurelia watched as Filius bounded out of the Room of Requirement, feeling a deep helplessness in the pit of her stomach. She couldn't let him get hurt, not over a traitor like Violet. She sprinted over to Filch and snatched his crossbow from him, ignoring Hagrid's pleas for her to stop and McGonagall's warnings of danger as she ran out after Filius.

"SPHUTTH DE GAYTTS!"

She ran faster, diving out of the gates at the last moment and rounding the corner after her lover. She froze in her tracks when she saw the wolf from her dream. Filius's roar filled the air as he pounced on the larger wolf's back, causing it to let out a pained roar of its own. Violet continued to scream as Aurelia ran forward, crossbow at the ready.

"Filius, look out!" she shouted, trying to aim at an angle that wouldn't hurt Filius. The larger wolf seemed to forget about Filius's teeth in its back as it caught sight of Aurelia and began charging at her. Adrenaline pumping through her veins, she fired a shot into its shoulder, slowing it down for just a moment before it leaped, claws digging into her shoulders. She cried out in pain and grabbed another silvered bolt, burying it in the grey wolf's throat as she struggled to hold its face back to keep it from sinking its fangs into her.

After a moment of struggling, the wolf went limp, weakened by Filius and finally finished off by the silver in its throat. Aurelia pushed the heavy weight off to her side and fell to her knees on the ground, panting as she clutched at the deep wounds on her shoulders. Her vision started to blur and darken as she looked around, trying to find Violet.

"F-Filius, I... I think I'm losing too much blood," she muttered, her speech slurred. She leaned against him, eyes slowly closing, barely able to make out the sounds of Hagrid and McGonagall running out onto the grounds and shouting for her before she slipped into unconsciousness.

Coarse fur filled Filius' mouth as his teeth sank into the flesh of the rogue werewolf. He locked his jaw as he felt and heard soft tissue and tendons give and snap and even some bones crunch. There was a roar of outrage as the rogue wolf was denied its prey. Filius worried, his teeth sinking ever deeper into the rogue.

"Filius, look out!"

The rogue shook Filius off. Filius spat out a chunk of tissue as the rogue galloped towards Aurelia. With a strength and speed borne of a desperate fear for the woman he loved, Filius bounded forward. Aurelia managed to slow the rogue down by planting a silvered bolt in its shoulder, giving Filius time to latch on to the rear leg of the beast with his teeth. He was still a fraction of a second too late. He heard the tearing of tissue, smelled Aurelia's blood. Then he heard a wet and final sound as she sank another bolt in its throat. Filius pulled at the best of his abilities to keep the rogue's teeth away from Aurelia's throat. Finally it stopped moving, and Filius dragged it away from Aurelia.

Then he went to Aurelia, on her knees, clutching her bleeding shoulder. He tried supporting her as she grew weak and faint. The wounds were bad and she might die if the curse didn't set in soon enough.

"F-Filius, I... I think I'm losing too much blood,"

Filius heard McGonagall and Hagrid approaching as Aurelia slumped against Filius and fell down. McGonagall snapped: "Take her to Madam Pomfrey! Miss Beauregarde, with me!" But Violet didn't move. She stood staring at the dead werewolf. It had changed back to human form. It was a young man, not much older than Violet or Aurelia. Violet broke down and started crying. Filius followed Hagrid, leaving McGonagall to deal with Violet. Only then did Violet react.

"No! Professor Solwer, don't leave! There's another werewolf on the loose!" Filius trotted over to her. "Den ggett insphide naow!" he told her, making her eyes stand out as she realised he could talk. McGonagall looked sharply at Violet. "You heard Professor Solwer, Miss Beauregarde! Get inside NOW!"

From the forest, a deep and menacing howl was heard. This wasn't over.

Back
Top Bottom