Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Riders' Legacy [ Ariamella & Greeneyed23 ]

RE: The Riders' Legacy ::: {Ariamella & Greeneyed23}

A few strands of honey-chestnut hair lay slightly damp across Amarose's forehead while the rest was piled up in a messy bun tied with a thin leather band. Sweat beaded on her hairline and her chest rose and fell with every deep breath; they were the evidence of the physical and mental strain it took to reach out for the magic and continuously feel her body weaken little by little as the magic was released. How long had she been at the mountainside? A few hours at least, if not more. The spell had seemed simple enough at first; the words involved were some of the simplest in the Ancient Language, yet here she was, still struggling to maintain the control required for the spell. She had completed the spell correctly only once, and that was two attempts ago. The hardest part was keeping the steady pace at which her skin turned to the hardness of diamond. The amount of focus it took to hold the magic's release was surprisingly difficult, and already she had reached out to the three separate times to aid her.

But she was instructed to master the spell, and master it she would. Amarose took a deep breath to center herself, letting her consciousness extend out to the landscape around her. This was always her favorite part of magic training; the moment of total peace when she could feel the strength of old trees and lightly graze her mind against the animals nearby. Each mind had a different color, a different nature about them that fascinated her. It wasn't hard to see why the elves' diets excluded meat. The knowledge of another creature's mind was strange and beautiful all at once, something to be respected no matter how big or small, or intelligent or dumb.

Feeling the familiar warmth of magic, she reached out to it and recited the spell. Almost immediately she felt a drain of energy as her gedwey insignia lit up, filling the floral sign with lavender-silvery light. A tendril escaped and snaked around her hand, leaving a slight glow where the skin was hardened to diamond. The glow dulled slightly as the light traveled up her arm, turning flesh to armor as it went along, slowly at first, then faster as Amarose willed it to move across her body. By the time it reached her waist she drew a staggering breath and shakily exhaled, feeling the magic take its toll. Quickly she tapped into the energy of the amethyst necklace, relaxing as the sensation of renewal washed through her. The spell was almost complete, but holding out to the very end was difficult, and by the time she finished and released the magic, fatigue clouded her mind.

But she had successfully completed the spell, with the only indication of the magic being the same lavender-silvery glow radiating from her skin. Taking a dagger from her belt, Amarose suddenly slashed at her arm. She felt the pressure of the blade, but was fascinated and satisfied to see that it had done no harm. Excitedly she looked up at Jurizen and bowed, speaking to all three dragons.

Thank you for these gifts. I will treasure this knowledge forever.

It was a different birthday activity than what she had imagined, but she enjoyed it all the same. It was preferable to sparring with Fela; while the weapons training was always welcome, the guards didn't prevent the bruises that followed the session. Like her dragon, Amarose was quick and agile, easily surpassing the other apprentices she had trained with. But Fela was an elf, and he had a millennia of experience on her. It was impossible to scratch him, and even more impossible to best him. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that their training with unguarded weapons would have left her with more than a few scrapes and cuts. None serious, of course, as no teacher would aim to harm an apprentice.

"Are we finished for today, ebrithil?" Amarose asked aloud, watching the sun begin to disappear over the hills below.

Orange and pink tinged the distance as the setting sun began to dip below the horizon. Up above, a gradient of blues filled the sky, and the first stars began to show themselves. Veravada lazily licked a claw to clean it of that night's meal, then looked up to the darkening sky. There was no moon visible, but she thought nights like these were the most beautiful. Dragon eyes were sharp regardless of the whether it was night or day, but she liked the calmness of the dark. There was something about the quiet peacefulness that made it easy to ponder life, and yet... Something was off about tonight. The violet dragon picked up her head and looked off to the distant forests, then to the palace, unable to place the uneasy feeling in her belly. She looked to the smaller red dragon still nibbling on bones, wondering if Tislvin also felt the same odd air. Perhaps the others will know, she thought as she curled up in the stables, eyes and ears waiting for the presence of her Rider and Jurizen.

Jurizen nodded and moved close, gripping her by the back of her shirt and placing her on his saddle. Hold on hatchling. you need to eat as we fly. my right saddlebag has food suitable for you.

The great Dragon flared is wings and leapt off the mountainside letting the harsh winds catch and carry them back to the palace. He landed silent and smooth as ever. Tsilvin stepped out and greeted him with a respectful salute, then informed him of her new name.

He rumbled deep in his chest. A fine name hatchling. It suits you. Now return to your rest.

He caught Veravada's eye and shook his head. I sense what troubles you but not the source of it. let us not alarm the young one. He turned to Amarose. Hatchling you should speak with Fela. he has instruction for you as well. See you are washed first. And recall your duty to share your lessons with Veravada. As she will with you.

With that he went to his own place and curled up, first eating, or bolting his meal, then cleaning his claws and scales, using small flames from his nostrils to polish the scales.

Fela was on a rooftop, himself fully washed, his eyes closed as she sat in the moonlight, meditating, probing the world around him for sign of this presence that so troubled the Dragons.

Fela waited until Amarose had had time to wash, eat and drink, and speak with her Dragon before he sent a soft yet unrelenting touch to her mind, asking her to join him but also to maintain her calm. I suspect something outside the palace is troubling us but I also know that the King is still eager to cause us trouble. Do not let this upset you and allow you to reveal anything even accidentally. guard your minds young ones.

Umaroth and Glaedr seemed to rest, until Glaedr began to recite elvish songs to himself, but allowing everyone present to hear them. There was no specific point or reason but his rough voice gave such depth and emotions to the words they were impossible to ignore. He allowed the younger beings to know that Oromis had often recite or sung to himself as a method of calming the mind and heart, serving to still the troubles of life. like all elves he had been exceptionally calm, but he had of course been a Rider and that often lead to a troubled spirit.

Fela smiled and hummed the tune to the songs, many of which he had known the authors, all of which he had sung, even with Oromis. Jurizen rumbled along, his Rider's emotions fueling his own, their thoughts, as usual coalescing into a single mind.

It was eerily quiet outside Borromeo Castle; the lower hills of the expansive surrounding area were covered in the darkness of trees and shrubbery, before opening up to the rest of the city of Aberon. The half-moon up above illuminated the sky but also cast ominous shadows that danced across the ground as a gentle breeze shook the fall foliage. On a narrow dirt path that wound through the woods, a pair of companions followed closely behind one another.

The first was obviously a human, save for the yellow, cat-like eyes that were obviously on high alert as they darted around, periodically surveying the area around him. He wore what seemed to be a perpetual snarl that twisted his facial features into a look of disgust. Shoulder-length, blonde hair was tied at the nape of his neck, emphasizing the pale skin that looked as if it were glowing imunder the moonlight. His body was slightly hunched over, drowning beneath layers of ebony robes that looked as if they were heavy enough to bend and break his thin frame. On his dirtied fingers glistened two rings on each hand, and on his belt was an array of weapons; there was a sword, different knives, and several pouches of differing sizes. On his palm was a tattoo shaped roughly in the form of a mighty horner dragon that was roaring flames. The mark was black as night, like a dark mockery of the Riders' gedwey ignasia.

The second traveler was taller than the human, standing six and a half feet with rippling muscles that bulged under dark grey skin. The Urgal was clad in almost nothing, wearing only thin trousers and a heavy leather vest that held its own array of weapons. Two long, yellow-grey horns grew out of his head, impressive even by Urgal standards, and he carried a hatchet that he kept at a ready position even as he stalked behind his companion. The same tattoo was visible on his left palm, vivid even against the dark skin. Heavy booted footsteps crackled dry leaves and twigs, sounding almost deafeningly loud compared to his human counterpart, whose movements were silent like a ghost floating over the ground.

"Quiet, fool!" The human whirled around, hissing at the Urgal and narrowing the yellow eyes to slits as he glared on. He thought nothing of the brute, internally likening him to an animal even though there was still peace between the races. "Do you want to us to be found? They'll find you first, and I'll gladly hand your skin over if you continue to stumble around like a half-wit."

The Urgal grunted profanities, although he slowed and quieted his treading. "Is that not what our magic is for, Raul? To stealth ourselves?" As if to make display, he lifted his palm and the black dragon mark lit dimly into a blue-black sheen like the feathers of a raven.

Raul's face deepened in its scowl after becoming more visibly irate, and he sighed. "Vargok, the magic hides us from Horace. We are concealed from those Riders for now, but no doubt we will be discovered. They are Riders with dragons, not to mention one of them is a damn old elf... so old that I wish he would fall over and die already. No, this magic is not a match for his. Do not use any more until we reach our destination. Understood? It is wise to avoid the elf at all costs."

"We take the girl then," Vargok scratched his head, his jaw jutting out in a gruesome smile.

"Aye," Raul nodded with a twinkle in his eyes. "We take the girl."

The castle was alive with music and laughter, guests trickled in and out of rooms and hallways, and Amarose joyously greeted those she passed on her way to the stairwell that took her to the roof. The party was just an extension of the festivities that marked the Riders' arrival to Surda, but the Surdans seemed to love any excuse to bring out the roast pigs and barrels of mead. But all humans were like that, and even Amarose had memories of her small town on the Hadarac bursting with loud music and food during times of celebration. She smiled to herself as she walked along, enjoying the last moments of her birthday. It wasn't quite the celebration that she would have received back with Eragon (he was rather fond of her in spite of her slight misconduct), but it was a good one nonetheless. She had even changed into another one of Tislvin's gifts, the crimson gown with cream and silver accents; it was a daring piece with a deep neckline that stopped just above her abdomen. Chestnut waves hung like a waterfall down her back, and the amathyst jewelry from Fela decorated her nicely. She wasn't royalty, but she could have believed it for the moment.

"Rider Amarose!" A familiar female voice called out from behind, and the female Rider turned to see Samantha beaming at her. Horace followed his wife.

"Amarose," the Queen continued, "you look lovely! Happy birthday as well! Tislvin- er, Rider Fela told me of the cause to celebrate." Her eyes shifted nervously to her husband before she opened her mouth again to speak. "Won't you join us?"

Amarose bowed her head politely. "While I would be honored, I am having to decline. My duties as a Rider are not finished for the day, and I must attend to them before anything else. Please do excuse my absence, and thank you very much for the offer!"

Samantha nodded her head. "Oh yes, Rider Fela had also mentioned that before... If the both of you happen to have any free time left, please do join us." She gave warm hug and turned on her heel, heading back down the hallway to talk with other guests.

King Horace grinned lecherously at the Rider, lifting Amarose's hand to his lips, then reaching up with one of his own to stroke her jaw. "Yes, Happy birthday, Amarose..." His hand dragged down her neck and then between and across her breasts, fingers dipping into the red dress briefly before he placed his hand back at his side and took a step away from her. "Remember what I said about my wife... Have a good evening."

It wasn't long after the royal couple retreated that Veravada snarled, What right does he have to touch you? Disgusing swine of a man.

Amarose said nothing although she agreed, instead calming her dragon by letting her know that Horace hadn't caused any bodily harm or distress. Perhaps he had been doing it to punish his wife? Amarose wasn't willing to play along with whatever game the King was playing, though she knew better than to make a scene. The rest of the walk to the rooftop was filled with the dragons' and Fela's voices melding into a powerful melody, one that led the girl almost trance-like to her destination. It was there that she sat quietly, listening to the song finish before sitting gingerly in her dress.

"The songs of your people carry much power. Nuanen [beautiful]."

Fela chuckled. "The last was written by Eragon. One of your people to be clear. He wrote it the first time he and Arya were rejoined. A fine hand with music is our leader."

He turned to face her without moving his hands, seemingly to float in his movement. "I am aware of Horace's attentions to you. I must command you to avoid them. I am well aware you have no choice in the matter but as your Master I must be firm in this matter. In that light I advise you ensure never to be alone with him. He would do you harm if he could. He is not a gentle being."

He raised his hands and lay them across each other over his crossed ankles, then tilted his hands so the wrists faced her, while his thumbs pressed together. He began to stretch his fingers, then his hands and wrists while he spoke. "I can smell presences that i cannot feel. it is often the way of powers of magical ability to forget the other senses, or assume their own weaknesses onto others. After what happened with the dwarves we must assume that you are again the target."

He began to stretch his arms by pressing them together in odd but clearly relaxing and gratifying ways. "I command you both to take special care. From now on neither you, Veravada or Tislvin are not to ever be more than hundred yards from myself or Jurizen."

Umaroth spoke now.Even we cannot discern who or what this is. Which worries us greatly.

Glaedr rumbled. It smells odd to the lot of us. But with this party and the drinking, we doubt very much that the humans will be able to handle any threat, let alone a significant threat to we Dragons.

"But enough of this gloomy talk. Tonight we celebrate both the naming of Tsilvin." The young Dragon simply beamed through the mental connection. "And the birthday of Amarose. I am also aware you performed your lessons wonderfully Amarose. Veravada was just as wonderful. As was Tsilvin. The three of you are the edge of the new birth of our Order. Master Eragon and the Council has taken great care to ensure that the Order constantly evolves. This is precisely why you were sent with Jurizen and myself. Old we may be but we are odd and unexpected."

Jurizen rumbled repeatedly, clearly laughing. Though they sent the two glowballs to serve as a more traditional grounding. To keep us in line.

Fela winked at Amarose as the two Eldunari grumbled in protest. "The point is that we are here to ensure you grow both in the perfect union of Dragon and Rider, a single soul rather two. And while that means the old ideas of magic, sword or knives, and the duties and rules of being a Rider, it is also required that when change comes, it is incorporated into our arts. Just as the protective and enhancement magics you learned today."

He revealed why he had been stretching as he held out both arms and spoke a rapid magic phrase and his arms and hands became a blood red metal, mounted with spikes, his fingers now razor sharp talons. "This is but an extension of the magics we elves use to alter our forms. There are whole avenues of new magics that will be invaluable to any Rider. This is yet another reason we are here. Why you hatchlings trained today I witnessed a feat of magic even I can scarcely believe."

He spoke another phrase and his hands returned to normal. He pressed his right thumb into the point of his palm lines, just above his wrist. He pushed it forward, dragging the nail across his palm, actually making sparks, one of his he caught. it began to blaze with blue flame instantly, with an empty but perfectly round core. "A local magician used the natural oils of his body to light his torch. No use of the ancient tongue, just a bit of energy and-" He broke off part of the flame and through it at an empty pot. The pot was instantly engulfed in flames. "I have taken to calling them living flames. It acts much like a Dragon's flame."

He gestured to Amarose. "I want you to try. You create friction on your own skin and fuel it with energy. It will ignite. As long as you fuel it it will burn. If you want to strengthen it then use the Words. The reintroduction of magic is making such acts and many more like them both easier, and more importantly more normal. I am seeing many signs of such things even here. I can only imagine what else we will see.

Back
Top Bottom