Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Riders' Legacy [ Ariamella & Greeneyed23 ]

RE: The Riders' Legacy || Ariamella & Greeneyed23

Jurizen growled. Keep your eyes open and your faces down. The rain will blind you and we are not alone hatchlings.

As if to illustrate his point a torrent of rain fell fully into Veravada's upturned snout and face just as a number of lifeforces seemingly appeared out of nowhere. The wisps, for that was what they were, swirled around the little quartet and seemed to flit across every inch of each of them, the rain making Jurizen's thick black scales shine like smoked glass. Fela chuckled as the wisps finished their investigation and seemingly pleased with the two dragons and their riders they cast their own brand of magic altering the protective wraps on both dragons to be more effective but also possessed of other magical properties before vanishing off into the night.

Fela chuckled again. I am afraid you have asked one of the broadest questions in the land my dear. That requires a rather lengthy and broad answer.

He fell silent for a long while after this, though it was clear Jurizen and Fela were having a private conversation. Finally Fela spoke. I will start at the very beginning. When we came to this land after the Grey Folk had already captured magic into the language of power we were still weak and afraid of what we had fled in our original homeland. This more than anything is was what lead us to the war with the Dragons. We had known the Urgals we had assumed were beasts and various other races that truly were beasts and we unwisely assumed that the Dragons were the same.

Jurizen growled again and Fela smiling rubbing his friend's neck. I know old friend. You all know the story of that just as well as I do. Anyway after we made peace with the dragons and gained immortality we began to separate ourselves from our mistakes and in many ways attempt to cover it up. It was not until we gained a new level of personal understanding and enlightenment as a people, in the very first Agaetí Blödhren that we held in honor of the fallen a new bond with truth, history, and the dragons was formed. And since then we have sought only to better ourselves and truly be what we have always been rumored to be. Now for more than that you shall have to ask specific questions. Fela was smiling. He knew he had given a very good and though short, deep, answer she would have to think on but now he was challenging her to see if she could figure out what to ask and how.

He did add. In the Agaetí Blödhren we elves often become much closest to what we first were. We become more primal more feral. As do the dragons. This is why we so carefully hide ourselves away in our forests at such times. Our magics are so powerful then we could do almost anything. And often have.

Amarose quieted in awe at the whisps, admiring them. They glowed faintly like lightning bugs, except she knew that they too were magical beings that wielded their own brand of magic. She felt slightly warm as they swirled around her, but just as soon as they had come, they were gone. Of course, it wasn't without leaving them a small gift, and Veravada exuded satisfaction at the extra protection from the rain. The whisps were just another mystery of Alagaesia, one that wasn't covered in detail during Rider apprenticeship. Most of the material covered was the history of Alagaesia and the four races bound to the dragons. Each had their own interesting points, but much time was spent on the boring sections, detailing life before and after the Rider bond, encouraging the apprentices and younglings to learn from past mistakes and strengthen the harmony of the land. But the history that intrigued everyone was that of the elves. Their tale was filled with mystery and magic, not to mention the reason the Riders existed in the first place.

She nodded along to Fela's words, recognizing all that he talked about. It was the basic history, one that all Riders knew well enough. But she wanted to know more, not just history, but culture and lifestyle. She perked up at the mention of the Agaeti Blödhren, curious to know more. During her training, the Riders always participated in the celebration, though it was marked by a feast and yet another lesson about the pact between the dragons and the first Riders. It couldn't be anything like the real celebration in Du Weldenvarden, and that was one of the things she wanted to know.

So it's true then? Amarose asked, bringing her cloak around to cover more of her body. I don't mean to be rude, but many apprentices and young Riders often wonder if Eragon-elda really gained his elf-like appearance when he was younger at one of the Agaeti Blödhren celebrations... What do you mean when you say that you often have done almost anything? It must be a glorious thing though, to have that magic flow freely between you and your companions.
She paused thoughtfully for a second, taking a moment to say the question on her mind. Do any human Riders partake in the Blood-Oath Celebration? I wonder how much more the magic would affect us...
Her thoughts and voiced trailed off as the path before them split into a fork, one way leading forward and the other leading deeper into the rocky hills.

The cave is there, Veravada pointed with her snout.
The entrance was obscured by trees and a descent of grassy terrain, making it cleverly hidden as the dark opening looked more like a shadow on the rocky hillside. The rain still hadn't let up, and Amarose shivered lightly when a crack of thunder seemed to shake the ground beneath her. A sense of urgency filled her and the desire to be dry and warm with fire rose higher on her list of priorities. But she could be patient for a few moments more, knowing safety and shelter was a short distance away.

When you say primal and feral, in what way do you mean that?
She thought upon his words, wondering if he meant the animalistic qualities that some elves chose to adorn their bodies with. Some had fur, gills, and others the webbed feet of aquatic birds. Every day, the elves surprised her with how different they were from humans; everything from diet to partnership set the two races apart no matter how closely they might have resembled each other in outward appearance.

And someday, Amarose would resemble more elf than human in her features and reflexes. She knew it was due to the addition of humans to the magical binding between elf and dragon, but she coukd only guess how much of her body would be changed. The elves had lithe, graceful bodies and angular facial features that contrasted against her own full body and the bit of baby fat that still clung to her cheeks despite her toned appearance. And the ears! She stole a glance at the master slightly ahead of her and tried to imagine on herself the slight curve of flesh that came to a point at the tip of the ears. It wouldn't be quite so prominent as Fela's or Anduin's, but she imagined it would look quite close to Eragon-elda's.

The pair of Riders finally reached the cave, and Amarose slid off Veravada's back, falling into a small patch of mud when she miscalculated the firmness of the ground. Laughing out loud, she yelled, "Ha! I don't get a lot of this where I'm from. The Hadarac severely lacks in rain. This is...refreshing." She got up and wiped her hands on her soiled cloak, grinning at the elf and two dragons. Her own dragon lightly blew a puff of warm air on her head.

Sometimes I think of you more as a child than a young woman, Veravada said aloud to everyone, her tone reflecting something of playfulness.

What I mean is that the immense power that arises during the Agaeti Blödhren in each elf is so impressive that even Galbatorix at the height of his power would not dare attack us then for fear of being overcome. And yes it is true that Eragon was altered into the hybrid of our two races by the Dragons themselves. He reached over touching Jurizen's shoulder and the blackskinned monster growled.

Yes. We gave Eragon aid and power to free us and end Galbatorix's reign of evil. The scar Durza gave him was filled with that beast's evil and was slowly poisoning him. We eggs and the Eldunari who guarded us gave this gift willingly to him. And you know the results. Of course she did. The whole world knew of the fantastic tales of Eragon Shadeslayer and Saphira Brightscales, the Rider and Dragon who had saved the world and the Riders, and always seemed to find a way to be right in the middle of things.

At that thought Fela and Jurizen laughed together. Recall Jurizen when Eragon had to leave Saphira at the Keep because she was birthing and Eragon broke his swordarm? Again? The huge Dragon rumbled his laughter. I do. Saphira refused to let him leave without her again for ten years. Nevermind that he had done it slaying those wild beasts to the south on his own. Fela laughed again. True. All two hundred of them. His smile faded a bit as he looked over at Amarose and Veravada. Mark you two well that you never try such a thing apart. Eragon was very lucky and his skill with the blade and magic is remarkable even to we elves. And he is a fully matured and season Rider who has fought many battles. You have fought none. Be warned.

Jurizen and Fela allowed the two females to enter the cave first. Partially it was their inborn courtesy and all they disliked being underground. Especially Jurizen. He was so large the cave on just managed to contain him and he still had to curl up like a napping cat to get his rest while Fela extricated the head wrap and settled into the Dragon's neck to rest as well. Once comfortable and with a small but warm fire well hidden by Jurizen's hide, Fela looked at his students while Jurizen, whose face was hidden in his chest, watched them through his Rider's eyes.

What I mean by more primal is that we are far less restrained during those times. We often give into our more baser instincts and this is very dangerous. We are more..more us at those times. We are stronger, faster, wilder, and so much more. We sing better, we fight harder, we dance more quickly, and we never want it to end. Such times are when the magic inherent in us and the Dragons bubbles up so thickly we often unintentionally do wondrous magic. At the last one Jurizen and I attended together we turned an entire tree in Du Weldenvarden into solid gold which still grows to this day. Arya Drotting calls it a great marvel and has it constantly guarded.

Jurizen growled and showed the young human that he had been watching the color of her thoughts.You should not be so concerned with appearance. To a Dragon all you twolegs are hideously small and ugly but this is not your fault. I have known Fela all my life and know his face far better than I do my own and though I love him I have yet to understand why he was so oddly shaped. Fela picked up the words as well. Never assume the change will be the same for you as it has been for others. Some humans barely change at all. Like Brom and Galbatorix and even Morzan and his son Murtagh. Some have slightly damaged connections to their dragons or lost them entirely but they were still Riders and great in their own way. But Brom looked like nothing but an old man for the whole time Eragon knew him, and Murtagh still looks like a normal human to this day. Personally I think you would look quite comely with some of my people's characteristics but that is simply my opinion. And it is your face. If it is not to your liking simply sing it into a new shape when you have mastered such magics. And I still see all three of you as but children. Even Jurizen. But that is not a wise outlook. Age is not omniscience just as Youth is not invincibility. There is always something to learn and always things to avoid. But playing in the mud and rain is something I advise you do every chance you get.

He said all of this, especially the last part with a wide smile while Jurizen snorted under him. You see I am the odd elf. I think life is meant to be enjoyed not just lived. There are times when one must be serious and proper but even then humor will often keep you alive. Remember Veravada I am the oldest living Rider and along with Rhunon and a few others one of the few who can tell of my own experiences in the Dragon War, but I do not take this a mark of age or achievement. I have lived and until my time comes I will continue to do so happily and freely without concern for what is truly proper...at least at the personal level. As a Rider I also representative both our order and the three of you but I am also an elf. I was trained to be polite and proper and dull though it may be it is useful. Now....what questions have you for me? He smiled waiting while Jurizen's heavy breathing indicated he was sleeping, or least partially so as his mind still seemed very present in the conversation much like his body.

RE: The Riders' Legacy ::: {Ariamella & Greeneyed23}

The mouth of the cave was large and the inside even larger. A huge, open space dominated the front of the cave where the limestone had been smoothly weathered by the water that seeped through the ground. More towards the back, in smaller spaces that neither dragon could gain access, were various formations of stalagmites and stalactites that jutted from the rock and obscured the deeper, darker parts of the cave. With slight amusement, Amarose watched her purple companion stride in smoothly and situate herself in the back corner, stretching lightly before laying down and curling herself slightly to line the shape of the cavern wall. It was here that the young Rider truly saw the size difference between her dragon and Jurizen, as the massive black dragon had to stoop his neck and tightly curl up just to fit, and he was even in the largest part of the cave! Jurizen really was something to behold.

Stripping herself of the soiled cloak and black tunic, the girl attempted as best she could to remove the dirt and mud by hand, only to end up frustrated when it smeared into dark, messy blob on the clothing. "Damn," she muttered, resorting to magic to make her garments clean, then laying them by the fire to dry. Without them she was still moderately dressed, her black pants wet but still wearable and the red camisole that stopped at her midriff in the same condition. Although she had the appearance of a lithe, graceful woman, it was still obvious that the muscles underneath were toned and hardened with years of physical training.

"There aren't really that many battles for young Riders and apprentices to fight... For the most part, our world is in a state of peace, and the elders constantly tell us that it is our duty to keep it that way." Amarose smiled, listening to Fela's stories of the Agaehti Blödrhen and, and finally laughing out loud at Jurizen's comment.

[IIt's true,[/I] Veravada chimed in, I have oftened thought upon how much brighter and tougher you would be with the shining scales of a dragon to cover your too-soft flesh that is easily broken. And you have no fangs to call your own! But it is alright, little one. The black dragon speaks the truth -- I love you despite your odd shape.

Amarose blushed at Fela's words. "It's not my appearance that I don't like... I think it's just anticipating such changes. But no, I don't think I'd sing myself a new face. Whatever the change brings is how I will keep it. It is, after all, a part of my bond with Vera, and I shouldn't - wouldn't - be ashamed of that." She rolled out a blanket near her dragon's belly, absorbing the warm from both her companion and the fire. A long moment of silence ensued, finally followed by a with from the girl's lips. "Why is it that I don't see Riders taking marital partners? I just... I don't see many lifelong partnerships." Secretly she wondered if she was subject to the same fate, but kept those thoughts to herself, only accessible to herself and Veravada.

"Do not befoul the air. It ill becomes you." Fela chuckled as he reached down and began to gently rub Jurizen's ear making the dragon hum in delight.

As she spoke Fela shook his head. "Do not seek battle Amarose. It is never an enjoyable experience. Your time will come. I am sure of it. Alagaesia is a land filled with trouble and oddities. Who knows just what else could happen? Already we have seen violence. Be patient." He did laugh when she did though, as well at what Veravada said.

He continued to chuckle. "Dragons have ever found our appearance odd." As Amarose lay down he settled back letting the two females settle down and started to let his waking dreams over take him.

Her question caught his attention and he sighed. "The biggest issue is that to marry or mate with another Rider is rather difficult. We have no rules against it but it is troublesome as we are so very busy and unable to attend to our families as needed. Arya Drottning and Eragon Shadeslayer alone exhibit that. They are madly in love and have even had a child together but they rarely see each other. And they actually do the least of any of our order in a way. Arya rules our people well but she tends to stay in Du Weldenvarden while Eragon tends to stay near the Order. Even our youngest Riders fly more than they do but still both are so busy they have no time for each other. Imagine how much worse that would be for Riders who still patrol? And then imagine the other side. If you were to mate with a non-Rider, again not against any of our rules or laws, but unless they are an elf eventually they will pass into the void. It is a cruel thing to watch the one you love pass on so."

He sighed. "Still I am amazed at the beauty of such relationships. Arya and Eragon's story was lengthy and fraught with drama and trouble but eventually they found their way. And some Riders have found a way to make it work. And they have been incredibly happy. But it takes work and care. Why do you ask?"

Eragon and Arya? The whispers of the relationship circulated among Amarose's generation of Riders, as they had been fortunate enough years ago to have seen the Elf Queen visit their far away home. It was a distant memory, but Amarose could recall Arya being more beautiful than the most alluring flower - long, black hair and fair skin that seemed to glow from within. Yes, it seemed fitting for the Queen and the Master Dragon Rider to have a special bond together. After all, they had known each other for many, many years and had probably fought, mourned, and laughed together. But even through the happiness, Amarose's face fell at the realization that both had to ensure long periods apart. There was always magic as a form of communication, but it was altogether something different to see someone, hold someone, and have their presence.

"I cannot fathom how difficult it may have been for the both of them," she said quietly, eyes fixed upon the cavern ceiling. Veravada had her own eyes closed, but it was obvious the purple dragon was indeed still listening and was also just as curious as her Rider. Amarose shifted, turning her body so it faced the male pair across the fire. "I don't know... Training doesn't rend to cover such topics, and I've often wondered if it was because marriage within the Order was frowned upon or if marriage between Riders was just inconvenient. But it's heartbreaking in a strange way. Every little girl usually imagines a happy marriage ceremony when they grow up, never having even entertained the thought of becoming a Dragon Rider. Especially little girls who come from the Hadarac. But in this life is much more preferrable to the life that I may have had if Vera hadn't hatched for me. I just thought that one day I may have wanted a partner - a mate. It seems difficult to keep that sort of relationship though... With all the traveling and constant switching of duties."

I never understood the need for humans to have lifelong partners, Veravada mused out loud, blowing a warm puff of air through the cave. Dragons take mates when we want to, and the elves are the same in the sense that they do not practice the act of taking a lifelong mate. Isn't it possible to love multiple people at various times?

"Of course," Amarose answered. "It's just that humans don't even have a fourth of the lifespan dragons do, and Elves are immortal. Our lives are so astoundingly short that we can love someone for our entire lifetime. Not that I have done so, and I'm obviously going to live longer than the average human, but that's the simplest way to explain it."

She looked outside, the torrent of rain still falling and sky flashing with distant lightning. The storm wasn't as harsh as it had been, but still it plunged the Earth into even further darkness during the night. It was beautiful, in an awe inspiring, fearful sort of way, and there was no way the girl would get any sleep in the raging storm! Amarose rolled over and sat up, going through words and phrases in the ancient language to keep herself busy while she opened a sack and set out a meal consisting of the fruits, nuts, bread and olives. Humming a slow, bright tune, she moved to Fela and proffered the food.

"Sometimes i miss the taste of meat. I remember it being very ... savory? It's been a while since I switched to the Elven diet." Curiosity got the best of her, and she asked, "Have you taken many mates since your time of becoming a Rider?"

Yes. Eragon and Arya have quite the tale. We had thought it would never be, and even Arya had been sure of it herself, but after the destruction of Galbatorix and the rebirth of our race... She saw in Eragon something more than the boy from Carvahall. Their child...excuse me their children, a pair of twins named Roran and Osimi are precious jewels in Du Weldenvarden. They are same age as you actually Veravada.... We are eager to meet them. Glaedr, who had not spoken for some time, said these word with a gentle longing kindness, reminding the young pair that he had personally trained Eragon and Saphira and had given much advice and aid to Arya and Feirnen over the years and because of this he had come to view the quartet in a fatherly manner. Their union pleased him greatly.

They are odd in that they have actually wed in the way of Eragon's homeland, and sworn oaths of love and loyalty to each other. But they love each other well and rightly. And you need only see how they look upon each other to know how deep their bond is. Glaedr now fell silent brooding happily but a bit sadly over his favorite students.

Umaroth spoke now.Your point is valid hatchling but remember that humans marry other mortals except rarely. They can expect to have lives together. With Rider's the same is possible of course. Even in my time such things were not unheard of. If you find a mate who pleases you sufficiently and they are willing wed them as is your custom and so long as your remain loyal and loving you will know happiness. And then you will have all of your lifetime, however long you and Veravada live, to love that other wit all you are. Such is my advice and such are my thoughts. DO not hesitate to seize your happiness because it is hard. Few things of worth are easy.

Fela looked up as she offered the food. He smiled and took some of the fruit but no more. "Thank you. I too find meat rather savory. Yes I still eat meat. Call me a savage if you will. Of course it is rare. For me it was never about the life taken. All food is life both before and after being eaten." All four dragons heartily agreed with him. "But I also am not much of a meat eater as it is. It was never a huge part of my meals. I preferred fowl meats anyway. Lighter and to my mind better tasting."

Jurizen chuckled. You must get him to cook his turkey or quail Venigri for you. it's marvelous.

Fela laughed and rubbed the dragon's ear making him hum even louder. "But as I said meat is not often my chosen repast."

When she asked about mating he sighed. "I have not mated since I became a Rider Amarose. And since being a Rider is only a small fraction of m y life I will also tell you that I have not mated since before the War with the Dragons."

He sighed again leaning back. "I was young then. Younger even than you are now. And she was so beautiful. Her name was Hylandu. Daughter of the Moon. We were the same age and much like yourself and Anduin we did everything together. The same night the war began we shared our first kiss and our first love. Soon after we attempted to wed in the face of the war but as we tried the dragons assailed us. Hylandu was many things but she was no fighter, but she was also no coward. She hurled a mighty magic at the dragon who attacked us as I drew my sword but the magic rebounded. It killed the dragon but also my beloved Hylandu. For years after that i blamed the dragons and slew each one I could with a burning rage. It was i and others like me who helped forge the Dauthderts and we who sued them with such skill. It was only after the peace I realized my crimes. I even went to the dragons and offered myself as a sacrifice for true peace. But they let me live."

He smiled as the four dragons hummed at him as one. "And since then I have been as good a friend to the dragons, Riders, and other races as I could. And then of course I was honored enough to become a Rider despite my age. Or likely BECAUSE of my age." He smirked as he gently tugged Jurizen's ear the dragon growling. Well it is nice to have someone around who can even we dragons can tease for being old.

The four all laughed as Fela rolled his eyes but smiled enjoying their mirth. he looked back to Amarose. "What else would you know Amarose Finia?" He was careful to accent the last intending to allowed her to know he viewed her as someone deserving honor and praise and possesed of immense potential.

Munching on a handful of strawberries, Amarose raised her eyebrows in surprise. "I have never once met an elf who strayed from the strict diet. Have you always been that way? Human Riders are not required to eat as the elves do, but for some it's difficult to take a life after having observed the mind of the animal. And for others, such as myself, were unfortunate to have personal mentors that had the diet as part of their rules of tutelage." Her face soured for a moment at the memory before blushing at her teacher. "Not that there's anything wrong with any of the mentors there. Not all are as open minded as you are, Fela. But I will have to try your Venigri. If the dragons enjoy it, it must be quite a delicious meal."

Veravada snaked out her tongue as if trying to taste the air at the mention of food, making Amarose laugh. Both females quieted at Fela's love story, the tale pulling at both their hearts. How sad, she commented quietly to her dragon, It must have been painful -- it probably still is painful to think about. I didn't know he would love someone so deeply that he hasn't taken a mate since. Humans are like that too, although our 'forever' is considerably shorter.

It was unfortunate that their love coincided with the War with the Dragons, Veravada agreed. Then aloud she said, You are not alone, Fela-elda. My ancestors' memories tell me that many dragons suffered from heartbreak and slaughtered many of your kind with the same burning fire that you felt ... It is only natural to feel such a way after losing a loved one. After all, Galbatorix himself slew many after he lost his first love- his dragon.

"I'm deeply sorry over your loss. Anduin and I never knew what real love was... We did everything together but we were very, very young, and I think he and i both knew we weren't right for each other. Instead of bringing out the best in each other, we just seemed to make our reputarions worse. And it's rare to see human-elf relationships, Eragon and Arya being exceptions of course. But still, it's peculiar how you can never really forget your first love. You must have had a deep bond with Hylandu if you hadn't loved anyone else the same way since." Amarose beamed at the ending suffix he used, though she was slightly confused. No one had ever used it before as it was reserved for only the best of apprentices, and most of her mentors had agreed that while she was talented, she was also reckless and emotional and not disciplined enough to be taken seriously. As it was, the Elders thought it best not to send her off to Alagaesia. "There is nothing I wish to ask at this moment. You've enlightened me quite a bit since we've started this journey. I must thank you for everything,though we are barely into our two years of traveling."

The girl nodded and got up, suddenly seeing just how old Fela was. Although he had a youthful bounce in his step and the appearance of an elf no older than the rest of the Council members, it was very obvious now that he was easily centuries of years old. She had been silly to find him attractive; those feelings were very out of place considering the large age gap and difference in status. Instead she shook her head, cleaning up the fruit peelings and leftover food, packing it back into Veravada's saddle.

"Fela elda, do you think it would be alright if we visited my birth town? I think I'd like to go back and see how much has changed ... Possibly go see my family or whatever is left of the broken lives that I was to call family. Actually, I think the town may have gotten bigger. It was a center of exotic trades and has most likely grown in business and population. And the most interesting travelers stay in the taverns. I remember there was a man who claimed to have had hoards of leather-wings ... Lethrblaka. Not that anybody believed him." Amarose shrugged, yawning. "But ... But I think some sleep would be fantastic first ..."

Fela did not respond to anything she said until she had finished. He nodded. "Thank you for your kindness. We shall visit your hometown. We have need to visit many parts of the Hadarac Desert anyway. Now is time to rest hatchlings."

He smiled as he studied his two apprentices and lay further back on Jurizen, who was now fully asleep. He smiled at the thought of Hylandu. The truth of his lack of mating was that after leaving his people he had rarely been around for anyone to find him comely and desirable, and even when he had been around other living people, whatever the race, he had intentionally remained shadowed and magically hidden so he would not draw anyone in. He did not desire to replace Hylandu, nor did he wish to have a mate who would not understand. For elves and Rider's it was always difficult to mate or wed because they were so long lived, but for Fela it was far worse. He was a founder of what his race had become; he had killed dragons; he had walked among hidden places and seen wonders that no other eyes had ever dreamed off. Now he had Jurizen and to his mind he needed else.

Glaedr and Umaroth spoke to all of the inhabitants softly. The time is now to rest. We will be able to reach Surda tomorrow if we fly from when we rise. We will help Veravada fly. Now rest. As will we."

Fela and Jurizen joined each other in dreams, while Glaedr and Umaroth settled into their own leaving Veravada and Amarose full privacy. Jurizen's bulk hid the cave entrance, both from within and without, promising them all safety and privacy. Fela's wards and guards also guaranteed that should any living being attempt to trouble them they would be alerted. Hethdar lay on Fela's hip, while Jurizen's fangs and claws lay hidden by his tail, but aimed right at the entrance ready to bath his foes with the immense flames of his belly, followed by the slashing and ripping of his jet black claws or the ivory might of his fangs.

It was early in the morning when Amarose woke, the sky still bathed in darkness. Her breathing was slow and steady, and she felt too warm but comfortable all the same snuggled up against Veravada's belly. All was silent save for the deep breathing of the two dragons, occasionally grunting and making small sounds in their slumber. Unwrapping a blanket and peeling it off her body, the girl sat upright, stretching her limbs and letting her eyes adjust to the dim lighting of the cave. Across the pile of sticks that was all that was left of the fire, Jurizen and Fela lay asleep. At least, she assumed they were asleep. The great black dragon's chest rose and fell with every breath and his wing hid away the elf from her sight. It was unusual for her to be wide awake and alert at this hour, but Amarose got up anyway, draping the wool blanket around her shoulders to protect herself from the cool morning temperature. It wasn't cold, but she was still only clad in the cropped camisole and linen pants, and she shivered as she walked to the mouth of the cave.

The outside world was still very much wet from the night's rainfall, although the forest seemed to sing with life. Birds chirped to each other across the trees and, even in the darkness, it seemed magical in its own way. Sometimes she wished traveling also entailed walking on foot, but that was tedious and the flying on dragonback was infinitely faster. Still though, there was a certain beauty that was missed when always high in the clouds. With one more glance back to the male Rider and his dragon, Amarose stepped onto the dewy grass and stopped at a puddle not far from the cave. "Draumr kopa," she murmured, not knowing exactly what she wanted to see but stared at the changing reflection anyway. A moment later, she was looking upon Genieve's smiling face, watching the dwarf child skip around against a dark background. She had obviously never seen that particular place before, but it was comforting to see Genieve. It was nice, she realized, to let out her softer side every once in a while. Hopefully she could make it stay through the trip to Surda but . . . maybe not.

The human Rider stood and walked back to the cave, eating a quick morning's meal before sitting next to Fela, gently putting a hand on his shoulder to wake him. "Fela-elda, dawn is near." Amarose would be glad to get to Surda as soon as possible. Flying had always left her limbs and muscles stiff, and she rather would have it sooner than later.

Fela reacted to her touch so rapidly it made all four Dragons flinch, Jurizen snorting and hitting his head with a loud crunch and a resulting howl of pain. The moment Amarose's hand had come within an inch of him, Fela had spun up and away fleeing to the far wall of the cave, right my Veravada's head.

He was panting for some reason and his skin looked very grey and sickly. Veravada's concern was evident and to calm her he reached out lightly touched her nose, and through her revealed to the others just what had caused the reaction.

Clouds fly under my claws. None dare oppose me. I am the eater of all. The mightiest hunter of this age. I AM ALLL!!!!

Fela let them all hear the rumbling hate filled rage that the voice carried. As well as the pitiful hungry madness.

Jurizen spoke softly. What is this?

Fela whispered softly and Glaedr was forced to ask him to speak louder and to them all. He licked his lips. "That was the spirit of the might dragon Shruikan. He has been unleashed from his prison and let loose upon the fields of the beyond. I am not sure what that will mean."

Umaroth made an odd body only noise despite lacking one and then explained to Amarose and Veravada. The fields of the beyond are what we Rider's call the afterlife. Despite the elves confidence we have too much evidence of something more after death than nothingness and-

Fela cut him off. "My people simple are following the latest fad old friend. We of the old lines know there is something more. Myself especially so. Jurizen as well. We have seen the true spirits of the long dead before. Many of them. But Shruikan....we had hoped never to hear from him again. That poor mad Dragon suffered enough."

Jurizen growled. Perhaps the Dragons of Time have seen fit to give him peace in this manner?

Fela nodded. "Perhaps...I certainly hope so and that he finds it....My apologies Amarose and Veravada. I did not mean to alarm you so. I was resting well but then suddenly that voice....." He shook himself. "I think we should go. No matter what happened there is nothing we can do about it and little chance it will affect us in this world. Shall we go?"

Amarose retracted her fingers in wide-eyed surprise, immediately afraid that she had committed some sort of offense to the elf who fled her touch. She cradled her hand in her lap, looking down as she saw him touch Veravada's snout, but the force of what came next stole her breath away. It was the roar filled with pure hate, colored only by the faint thought of madness and suffering. The raging voice dominated inside her head, drowning out all other sound, and even after it had gone, it left a ringing sensation that seemed to embed itself forever into the girl's memory. Her face paled at the mention of who the roar belonged to, and she looked from Fela to Jurizen, searching them for some sort of definitive explanation., but they had none.

"That was Shurikan?" she asked in quiet disbelief, her voice coming out only in a weak mumble. "I'd never heard someone- or something- so equally terrifying and sad all at once. Galbatorix really did twist his mind into an irreparable state... This after life you speak of- can he escape it? Can his soul somehow be released into the flesh world?"

It was Veravada who answered. Amarose, it would be likely that he cannot manifest himself here. But since I myself have not been through death and back, I wouldn't know. Do not burden yourself with these thoughts yet. Right now your task is to finish bundling those blankets so that we may fly for Surda.

Absently the human girl nodded in response, although a small smile decorated her face. She could always trust Vera to say the right thing, even to shut her mind from things that did not yet concern her. The violet dragon was her closest friend, mentor, and often times the mother that had been absent for most of her life. With a nod to Fela, she stood and packed the rest of her belongings. Within the hour, their party was off, flying west to the capital city Aberon and its less-than-amicable rulers.

--------------------------------------

The pair of dragons flew straight through the morning, stopping only when Amarose wanted to eat. While her elf companion was probably more accustomed to flying straight through midday, the human girl obviously was not and had to spend time to satisfy the hunger that gnawed at her stomach, having only eaten some berries and a handful of nuts at dawn. She would have eaten more, but Fela's outburst had startled her, effectively sending away any signs of morning hunger. It was just past noon when the last remnants of the Beor Mountains disappeared behind them, revealing an expanse of plains and farmland ahead, while the ocean still lay a perfect blue to their left, and the Hadarac Desert came distantly into view on the right. It took another hour or so before they reached Aberon, the city resting on a high bluff overlooking the plains below. As they flew over the city walls, Amarose took note of how wealthy the capital city looked. The buildings were cared for, the towers were manned with soldiers, and the citizens walked around peacefully in the sunny weather.

Borromeo Castle was even more magnificent, sitting upon a hilly rise within the city and boasting a fair amount of grounds to go along with the actual building. Right outside the main entrance to the castle was a throng of citizens, cheering and shouting as they saw the two dragons approach. They waved, whooped and hollered when Veravada landed first, her smaller body allowing for a less careful landing than the massive black dragon who was to follow. But still, the female pair understood that as a leader and mentor, Fela was always to be introduced first as far as formalities called for, and they left ample space in front of them so Jurizen could comfortably land.

Ahead, standing at the top of a set of steps to the castle door, King Horace donned a twitch of a smile that looked more like he thought of them as a nuisance, and clinging to one of his arms was his wife, Samantha, wearing a haughty look as she raked Amarose with her eyes, making an obvious and open judgement about the female Rider. But as soon as their eyes met, the queen adjusted her features into a beaming smile, one that took Amarose by surprise. Maybe the queen would like her after all... Or maybe the smile was part of a facade to make Amarose think they were friends. The thought made her cringe; girls never played fair when it came to friendship and men, and even now, she could see Samantha grip more tightly to her husband's arm before both monarchs descended the steps to greet them.

Fela did not answer her even as they flew, his mind off amongst the land of beyond with Shurikan and the others who had long since passed into the void. Umaroth and Glaedr spoke to Amarose instead. 'There is a chance we may be able to aid Shurikan find peace. Amongst our kind it is often said that the spirit of a pass on Dragon has returned to a living member of our race to live again. Perhaps Shurikan will find a way to this world in that way, and thus find the peace he was denied in life."

Upon landing Fela pulled free of his saddle and walked down Jurizen's neck nimbly, to find a spot to sit right on Jurizen's head, his left foot planted and his arms around his left leg, his chin on the knee, while his right leg dangled between Jurizen's smoking nostrils and lightly resting against Jurizen's fangs. Horace's face twisted at the lack of protocol, but also made the false assumption that Fela wanted him to make as he and Samantha swept down to greet them.

"Greetings and welcome to Surda Rider Fela and Rider Amarose. We-"

"You do not greet our Dragons?"

Horace scowled at the rebuke but tried to ignore it. "We honor you and hope that you will find yourself most comfortable here with us. I-"

"Perhaps we should leave. Our Dragons do not feel welcome." Jurizen gave a deep growl and made the very ground shake and made Horace flush. His face was growing red in his anger now but Fela ignored it, having not even looked at the pompous king.

Horace grunted. "We welcome Dragon Jurizen and Dragon Veravada. Now we have the most immaculate rooms for both of you."

"And what of our Dragons?"

Horace's face now grew purple. Fela was looking straight into the solid sapphire eyes of Samantha gorgeous and well built red Dragon who cowered int he stable, looking more like a frightened rabbit than a Dragon. Fela spoke again. "Veravada may sleep in my apartments if we are to stay. Jurizen and I are not to be parted. We will take our place in the stables."

Horace's teeth with gritted in rage now, but Samantha touched her husband's arm trying to calm him while Jurizen walked smoothly to the stables, taking his palce there, while Fela spoke to his two apprentices. "Remember your duties. Befriend Samantha and show her the true meaning of being a Rider. Jurizen, Umaroth, Glaedr and I will speak to the young Dragon."

Samantha rushed forward to greet the younger pair using them to distrcat her husband while Jurizen surveyed the young nameless Drgaon who shivered in fear. Fela stepped off Jurizen's face and gave him a loving pat then moved to the young Dragon crouching before her. "Hello youngling. I am Fela. This is Jurizen. You probabluy can feel Umaroth and Glaedr. Here before you are three of the most capable and legendary males of your race in all of history. We have come to help you. Can you speak?"

She nodded clearly scared but did not flinch as Fela gently touched her snout. "Will you speak with us?"

She squeaked at first then spoke in their minds in a simply beautiful musical voice. "Yes.... Master." She flinched when all four elders showed dislike for the servitude in the word. There was no respect, no learning, simply the fact of being owned. "I don't mean...I-"

Fela gently cut her off. "It is alright youngling. We are not here to punish or frighten you. We are here to instruct you. Do you have a name for yourself?"

"No Mast-"

"First of all we are not your Masters. We are your friends. You may call us by name and only by name."

She blinked but nodded. Jurzen spoke now and her entire demeanor changed as she crouched even lower in the presence of the mighty black Dragon. "Greetings skyrider. We shall tell you of your people." The four began to teach the young Dragon who and what she really was and she thrilled to the knowledge, her natural condition having always quailed at the servitude she was subjected to but having obeyed it because of her connection and love for Samanatha who they quickly learned had been convinced by her own love for Horace, and her false education of Dragons in general.

Fela ensured Amarose and Veravada were aware of all of this and also made sure to keep their connection open to give them aid or advice if it were needed. "Tread softly my dears. Samantha is young and mistaken. Horace is our foe here."

Amarose almost laughed at Fela's provocations, but she knew better than to laugh, so she stood quietly behind him and watched as both males stared each other down and fought their verbal battle. Unsurprisingly, it was Fela who had the last word- but that was to be expected. He was a centuries-old elf who carried an air of authority wherever he walked, and even a king could not challenge him. The female Rider and her dragon simply nodded, watching Fela walk away, and Amarose had the sudden urge to say something cheeky to Horace. Although she said nothing, her green-hazel eyes gleamed with unspoken amusement at the situation. Instead, she turned back to the monarchs and, unsure of whether to bow, only dipped her chin in a respectful manner to acknowledge the Surdan royalty.

"Amarose," Samantha greeted her, giving her hand a gentle squeeze and turning to the violet dragon that followed behind the Rider. "Veravada. I hope both of you find your stay here in Surda to be most exceptional. Since Rider Fela Turin has encouraged Veravada to stay in his quarters, we shall prepare pillows and dragon bedding there."

Veravada snaked her head around to look at the young queen. Like Fela and Jurizen, I would prefer to stay with my Rider while we are here. The bond runs deep between us, and it's most comfortable for us to stay in the same living quarters. Beside the dragon, Amarose made an affectionate sound of agreement.

"You prefer sleeping with your pet?" Samantha asked Amarose, lifting her eyebrows in surprise. "Isn't that rather uncomfortable, with the scales and all?"

Veravada made a soft growl of annoyance, but her Rider quieted her with a soft pat on the leg. It was Amarose's turn to be surprised, but the girl smiled. "Veravada is no pet, Queen Samantha. The brilliance of her mind is comparable to that of the elves. And have you never slept with your dragon? The scales of their underside are much softer, and the fire in their bellies are quite comfortable to sleep against, especially on cold nights. What is your dragon's name, if you would see fit to tell me?" The red dragon in the stables reminded her of a softer and smaller version of mighty Thorn, and the thought made the smile on her face grow to a grin.

Samantha opened her mouth, paused, then said, "My dragon... does not have a name. Horace insisted that I should not name her-"

"Well Horace was wrong," Amarose cute her off sharply, anger bubbling up rapidly. Not naming a dragon was equivalent of stripping them of their identity as well refusing to acknowledge them as an equal.

"King Horace, dear Rider."

Sensing the queen's defensiveness of her husband, Amarose grasped the younger woman's hand. "I apologize. Please forgive me. I didn't mean for it to come out so harsh. I only meant that it's typically against both Rider and dragon custom to leave a dragon unnamed. If you'd accept my advice, I think you should speak to your dragon about what name suits her. They can be quite picky when it comes to names. Veravada and I spent several days trying to figure out a name we were both satisfied with!"

Both women laughed, and when the tension had dissipated, Samantha brought her guest to the castle for a tour. Although the mood was high as she walked, Amarose couldn't ignore the malicious whispers coming from the back of the crowd:
Did you see how the elf disrespected our king?
Yes, and the girl looked like she was about to laugh!
How rude. They must be horrid examples of Riders.

The comments made her stiffen and grit her teeth, but she held her tongue and followed the queen inside the castle and let Veravada fly to the opening of their room. She familiarized herself with the layout of the space and grounds, and she tactfully left the topic of dragons alone, letting Samantha ask whatever questions that came to her mind about Riders and their scaled partners. It was easier letting the queen fuel her own curiosity rather than giving her a lecture, and to Amarose's own surprise, talking with her was an easy task. By the end, they had covered the basics of dragon nature and the basic history of the Riders.

"Thank you for walking with me," Samantha said at last, stopping in front of a guest room that was somehow even larger than the one in the mountains. "I must attend to other duties, but please don't hesitate in sending from me or my husband if you need something." She left her then, letting her explore the room that Vera was already peacefully napping in.

That took a while, the dragon sleepily said, lazily opening one eye to look at her Rider. How did educating Samantha go?

I didn't educate her... she just asked me questions and I answered them. I'm not stupid. Had I forced her to listen to me, she likely would have dismissed me... especially because most of what she has been told came from her dear husband.

A growl left Veravada's throat at the mention of the King's name, but the temptation to sleep proved too much to ignore, and she closed the single lid and curled up on her side. Wake me when it's time to sup. I suspect Jurizen will be eating with unnamed-youngling and I'm sure I'll be joining them...

After freshening up and changing from her traveling clothes to a well-fitted gown (courtesy of Samantha), Amarose left to find a peaceful place to read. A stop by the massive library gave her a chance to choose an interesting piece of literature, and she soon made her way out to the gardens to read out in the afternoon sun. Only a sharp male voice caught her attention, and when she whirled around, she stood face-to-face with Horace.

"I see my wife has given you a nice selection of gowns to wear during your stay." His voice was calm, but suspicion and quiet anger hid in his eyes.

"Yes," the girl responded carefully, "Queen Samantha was most generous. I enjoyed the time we had walking and talking-"

"What did you tell her?" the king suddenly snarled, grasping her shoulders with enough force to leave bruises. Alarmed, her mind subconsciously sought Fela's, sharing the scene through the mental link.

"Only what Her Grace desired to know," Amarose said icily, setting her jaw and lifting her chin to look him in the eye. "Any questions she had regarding dragons were answered truthfully and honestly."

"Don't toy with me, girl. If you turn my own wife against me, you'll be sorry that you and the elf ever stepped foot in Surda. Do you understand me?" His gazed darkened, and he shook her violently before abruptly letting go. "A feast to honor your arrival will be held at sundown. Tell your friend as well." Without another word, he slipped away and disappeared in a back corridor.

Fighting the urge to laugh and roll her eyes at the king, Amarose grinned and innocently asked, Ebrithil, did you hear the invitation? King Horace is simply ecstatic to entertain us tonight at supper.

"I did hear the invitation indeed." Horace flinched back out of the corridor backing away from Fela who appeared out of the shadows like a whisper.

Horace's face again grew purple while Fela smiled at the king coldly. 'We welcome your invitation Your Highness. Of course we shall attend. Thank you."

He moved to Amarose's side, gently straightening her gown as Horace had dragged one of the shoulders to the side. "I must ask you not to damage my apprentice Your Highness. As you know we elves value life, especially those of our students, highly, and we are hard to ....restrain when our students are damaged."

He turned and bowed to the King who scowled and turned away. Fela turned back to Amarose. "You did well hatchling. But you must never be alone with him again. You sensed the darkness there. It would be very unwise for us to kill him, even if provoked." He smiled gently cupping her cheek. "You do look lovely Amarose. Perhaps when you retire from the field you may attend court?" His eyes twinkled playfully as he took her arm and led her toward the dining room.

As they went Jurizen spoke to them. I have collected Veravada. We are taking Sky-Rider to hunt. She has never been allowed to hunt in the true way. We will not be back before dawn. Hatchling if you have need use your voice to call us. And watch Samantha. And pointy ears?

Fela chuckled as he helped Amarose sit. Yes old friend?

Behave. Not the time to anger a king.

Very well. But you do know how very much I enjoy angering monarchs.

The Dragons, even Sky-Rider, all laughed as they flew away.

Fela sat beside Amarose carefully studying Samantha, his eyes impossible to read, his posture comfortable yet filled with disdain. He was almost laying back in his chair as he let his eyes search every face. Only his apprentice was able to bear his gaze and this pleased him quite a bit.

He touched Amarose's hand. I will speak only in my native tongue. you are to translate for me. And before you ask, yes I am trying to irritate Horace. But I am also testing Samantha. I want to see what if any magic she knows. He gently patted her hand then sat back as the dinner began.

Fela remained silent throughout, ignoring questions unless posed to him by Samantha, and even then he tended to just give simple yes's or no's that Amarose had little need to translate. Finally Horace grew irritated enough he spoke up. "So Lord Fela. I have heard all elves possess artistic talent. Why not give us an example of yours?"

Fela studied the human king until he had to look away then again touching his apprentice's hand instructed her to translate for him. Then he told a tale in his tongue, singing it as it was meant to be sung. His voice was deep and powerful, yet entrancing and beautiful, and only Amarose could know that he gave them a glimpse of the dangerous wild music of his mind. The silence throughout his tale was complete. Even Horace did not dare break it. Few were able to listen without openly weeping, and everyone fought tears as they watched him tell this tale:

"In the land of Shadow, told to us by Rider Eragon, there dwelt three brothers. These brothers were the children of a gifted witch and wizard and each possessed great talent amongst the magics. The eldest Merlin commanded great powers in the names of things, and sort always for more. The second, Alain, was gifted in more obscure magics, studying the deep hidden places of great magic throughout the land. The third, Mortigan, was the first of many to practice that most deadly and dangerous of arts, necromancy and his skills legend. Each of the three had chosen their arts to help someone they loved.

Mortigan wished to resurrect his beloved parents, refusing to accept the danger. Alain wished to bring back his beloved daughter Tiib home, as she had been taken by a rogue Dragon when just a baby. Merlin sought to heal his wife Audra, who was afflicted with a terrible disease that ravaged her body. Being gifted and wise the three joined together and went out into the world to find what they sought. That very first night they found the Dragon's nest and Tiib. They sought to free her, but even as her father cut her bonds the Dragon arose and engulfed them both in flame. Thus did the second brother's line end.

Merlin and Mortigan traveled long and far after losing Alain. They were morose and fought often, but they strove together as brothers will. Until they came to the very gates of Du Weldenvarden itself. They supped and rested amongst my people for many days and when they had set off I myself bid them farewell. But we were deceived. They did not leave. Mortigan drugged his brother and found his way to the Menoah tree. He had learned what the tree truly was and sought to sacrifice our greatest life and treasure in return for his parents. But the lives of Du Weldenvarden are not so easily taken. Mortigan was instead swallowed by his own pride and Merlin woke to find that his brother was dead and gone.

Merlin wept for many days. Finally he left our lands and found himself amongst the dwarves. There for a time he found peace, and with the aid of their clever minds and kindness he found the medicine he sought. He returned home, in a long long journey, and found his wife near death but the medicine healed her. She became whole and healthy and their love grew ever stronger. They left their home and settled in Palancar Valley until the king that place had been named for came seeking them. Palancar wished magical aid. Merlin tried and tried but was unable to supply the king's desires. So Merlin begged the king for more time promising to seek the greatest magicians in the land and gain the answers Palancar sought. And he found the secrets. Rush did he. To his home and beloved wife and children. But happiness was not to be.

He found his home burned, his animals slaughtered, and his children hung from the great tree. Merlin rushed to Palancar's hall searching for his beloved Audra. And there he found her. Raped and killed at the hands of Palancar and his men. Merlin's rage was unfathomable. He used all his knowledge and all his power and blighted Palancar and his men with horrible diseases and pains. He watched them scream in pain then prepared to destroy all life in the land when he spied the young Prince just recently born. Merlin's concentration was lost and Palancar rushed to him skewering him with a broken boar's tusk. Merlin gripped the tusk and Palancar and spoke softly. "You had but to be patient. But you could not. So I will show you the failure of it." He cast the last of his magic and vanished into the void, leaving Palancar there alone gripping the tusk. And made entirely of stone, yet still alive.

Palancar survived in that manner for nearly a hundred years. Then his namesake, Palancar III sought to use his people and power to control all of Alagaesia. So we Riders rode out. And the tales of his destruction are of legend. But when we entered the hall we did not find the fabled statues king. Instead we found ground stone powder with a line of red in the center. The line read but one word. 'Audra." He said no more sipping his tea watching the wall as the crowd sniffed and snuffled. Horace looked angry as usual, but he even had been moved by the tale.

Samantha spoke softly. "Fela....Lord Fela...that is true?"

Fela touched his chest and nodded speaking in his native tongue still. "I swear it."

Samantha looked at Amarose once she translated then shook her head. "How....that is impossible."

Fela smirked and looked at Amarose and gave her permission to explain fully to their young counterpart, while he sipped his tea and tested some fruit.

Amarose was only partially attentive during the first half of the feast, her mind wandering back to Fela's previous comments out in the garden. Ever Rider had to undergo field experience, but only few were called back to attend court. Usually they were the most accomplished and dedicated of the Order, and it was known to be a great privilege to receive that particular calling. They were the face of the Order, and as such, she couldn't quite understand why Fela would suggest something that seemed so opposite her nature, but it occurred to her that maybe he saw something in her not yet revealed to her own mind. Even more distracting was the memory of his fingers brushing gently across her skin as he adjusted her dress, but she had to remind herself that it was only natural to be entranced by any elf of the opposite sex. They were just so breathtakingly beautiful, and her mentor was no exception.

Her eyes scanned the table as she ate, and it soon became obvious to her that the diners only looked down at their meals when Fela rested his intense gaze on them. Only she could return the gaze, and while his eyes gleamed with intense neutrality, her own sparkled with knowing amusement. It was her own friendliness that drew people in, particularly the various men of importance who attended the dinner, but she ignored them and only regaled them with interesting stories during her time of training. She was careful not to let any private information slip out, and even as she talked she could tell only one person wasn't enjoying the dinner: the dear King.

"So Lord Fela. I have heard all elves possess artistic talent. Why not give us an example of yours?" Horace had asked, making Amarose stiffen. Only he would ask such a rude question, and she could tell he wasn't simply asking for some mild entertainment. He meant it as a... challenge of sorts. Nevertheless, she began the translation for everyone listening, making sure to keep even time with his singing. The mix of their voices was somehow magical even to her own ears, the rising and falling inflections of her bell-like soprano voice mixing with the bass melody beside her. It was an emotional tale even for her, and she found tears springing to her eyes as she translated, but it only seemed to succeed in making the diners even more emotional. By the end, a thick blanket of silence fell over the group, broken only by mild sounds of crying and quiet murmuring.

"What part is impossible?" Amarose answered the queen, her green eyes shining with unshed tears.

"Hm... The Menoa tree? Fela said that he himself was there during the tale. How is that possible? What about the magic? It seems too... fantastical to be true."

"Well, first off, the language he speaks only allows him to speak truths. The Ancient Language is tied to the very nature of this world, and if he swore to you that it was true, then he was being honest. But to sate your curiosity, I will give you the validation you seek: The Menoa tree is real, yes. I have not yet the privilege of seeing her myself, but the forest of Du Weldenvarden is so full of life, and the elves value all of it." She flashed a half-smile at Fela before continuing. "Fela-elda was being honest when he said he was there. This was long ago, long before I was even born, but the elves are immortal unless taken by a injury or poison. There's a reason they are known as the wisest race. But it's not only elves that live to that age, Samantha. Riders of whatever race are so closely tied to the binding dragon-elf magic that our own lives are lengthened much farther than the average lifespan. As for the magic, that too is true. Elves inherently have the ability to use magic, and even you know that some humans show magical capability- some humans moreso than others, like the three brothers from Fela's story. Riders have it too, although those of us who aren't elvish have to practice." Seeing the unspoken question in Samantha's eyes, Amarose added, "Yes, you too, Your Grace."

"Well that's enough story time, isn't it?" The interruption came from Horace, practically seething with rage at the head of the table, and his murderous eyes landed on the only elf at the table, his words coming out more like a bark than genuine appreciation. "Thank you, Rider Fela. But what about you, Amarose? Would you care to show us something, or has your mentor only bound you to playing translator during your travels?"

Samantha sucked in her breath, but rested her hand on her husband's arm. "Please excuse Horace. He isn't feeling well lately." She whispered something in his ear, making him shake his head and look away.

"It's alright, Your Highness. He does this as one of my exercises." Amarose shook her own head, lying smoothly through her teeth and fighting to not break down into a fit of giggles at the dining table. Fela had definitely succeeded in annoying the king. "That is his native tongue, not mine, but as my mentor, it's one of his responsibilities to ensure I am just as proficient in it as any elf. I refused to speak in it, so now he makes it a task I cannot run from. As for my own artistic ability, it won't be perfection like Fela-elda's, but I'd like to think I have talent of my own." She smiled to everyone and continued to eat, and after some time the conversation turned back to normal, though she sat quietly much like the elf beside her. On more than one occasion she noticed Samantha looking at Fela in an unreadable expression, but she knew the young girl had probably been entranced by his song and voice. Elves were like that, and she couldn't blame her; it was hard to resist.

Horace noticed as well, glaring daggers into Fela every time he caught his wife staring. It was hard to tell, but Amarose had a feeling that they had rcently become home wreckers for the poor king. Not that it mattered as she only felt empty pity for him; she really only cared for Queen Samantha and the red dragon who had never tasted what it mean to be a Rider.

Fela let Amarose handle the explanation, never speaking a word until Horace had made his little jibe at her. When Amarose had finished her answer he gave his own.

"Amarose is a Rider Your Highness. An exceptional Rider at that. Her skills in that alone would be seen as talents. But Amarose also possess many of her own talents independent of our order and my training. You should count yourself honored that she is willing to share them with you."

Those were the last words he spoke aloud for the rest of the evening and he entirely ignored Horace, his only communication to Amarose through their minds and even that rarely.

When the dinner had ended he stood with the rest and moved to the door catching Amarose by the hand and speaking in her mind rapidly and a bit brusquely though the reason became clear. Samantha intends to visit me tonight. We cannot allow this. You are to waylay her. And without Horace's knowledge. i am going to meditate. If you have need call but otherwise do not expect to see me until dawn. He started to turned away then turned back. You handled that expertly Amarose. I am most proud of you.

Then released her hand and walked away, passing through a side door, thus entirely missing the Royal couple's farewell.

True to his word he vanished from the city within seconds and though Amarose could feel him, he was far away from everyone and everything, and he certainly was not in the stables, as he and Jurizen had never planned to sleep there and were working to make sure young Sky-Rider never did again as well.

Jurizen had Veravada inform her Rider that the five Dragons had encountered and killed a massive Nïdhwal that had been making it's way toward the shore of Surda, and were even now using this as a lesson in flames for both Veravada and Sky-Rider, as they wanted Veravada to hurl flames for nearly an hour and poor Sky-Rider had never even been allowed to fully use her skills. The elimination of traces of their cousin was serving this task, though Jurizen, to both females delight, had given aid by expelling his own jet black flames for a full hour easily to melt the Nïdhwal's head.

Fela broke in then having been listening but not speaking, and speaking only to Amarose. Admiration for Juizen is natural Amarose but Veravada must be careful. Jurizen chooses his mates carefully. I would not have her cause herself pain. Advise her patience. And wear your weapons tonight. I sense trouble.

He said no more, returning to his solitude while Umaroth suddenly spoke to Amarose. Hatchling I am curious about something only humans can answer. Why do they doubt the truth? Elves are known to be immortal. Dragons and Riders as well. What is it about your race that serves to make it so difficult? Glaedr chimed in as well. I admit that i find it difficult to understand as well. Even when you have proof before you, your race questions it. Why is that?

This reminded Amarose and Veravada that though both elder dragons had trained likely thousands of riders and Dragons, they had never had a human Rider, as they had been paired with Elves and while just as curious in their way, the Elves logic made explanations much simpler. Jurizen voiced his opinion. With apologies Amarose but I believe it is that humanity's ego is to blame. Certainly not every individual but as a group your race tends to assume full knowledge and power even when they have neither. That is my experience. What is it you think hatchlings?"

They were now asking both the rider and her Dragon, and even Sky-Ride,r though the younger Dragon admitted she had no idea as she was only permitted to communicate with Samantha and that fleetingly. This did nothing to hide the fact that she was thrilled to be speaking with anyone for such an extended period, and the fact that they all genuinely liked and respected her had her so happy her emotions were simply boiling over in delight. Even securing an oath not to reveal the existence of her Eldunari, and certainly to never expel it without either permission or extreme need, had taken little with the young Dragon so happy amongst her own.

To make up for Fela's silence during the rest of the night, Amarose made sure to keep the rest of the guests entertained by displaying enough interest for the both of them. She laughed when appropriate, looked shocked when they told intense stories, and offered up her own diplomatic voice when they talked politics. On the whole, the ordeal left her tired by the end of the night. It had sapped her energy, and she felt a twinge of annoyance when she found she was going to stay up even later due to Samantha's foolishness. But she had to remind herself that it was still her duty to make sure the queen traveled the right path, and that included deterring the young woman from a late night visit to her mentor. As Fela slipped away, she smiled and turned back to the royal couple, letting them sweep her away once more with post-feast music and couples dancing. It was hard to keep track of everyone she danced with, but she made sure to steer clear of King Horace. And in the corner of her eye, she thought she saw Samantha always searching for a certain partner- no doubt the elf who had disappeared into the night.

It was close to an hour and a half past midnight when she finally returned to the guest rooms, though she stayed in what was supposed to be Fela's room rather than her own. It was there that she waited, struggling to stay awake after she settled herself comfortably on the massive bed. More than once, she contemplated taking energy from the jewels on her twin long-knives, but she knew it would be a sore waste of energy. Thankfully, Fela spoke briefly to her about her dragon, which interested her enough to stay alert. Within a minute, she and Veravada fell into the same tired conversation about being careful with mating, although Amarose went about it lighter than usual. Bottom line was, Veravada was young and too inexperienced for Jurizen, but the dragon threw the words back at her Rider, subtly implying something that Amarose refused to acknowledge.

It was a relief when Umaroth broke their private conversation, and Amarose almost laughed at the question. Now this was something she could answer, though she waited until Jurizen was finished before she offered her thoughts. Wouldn't you say that it's easier to deny something you don't understand, rather than put all your trust and faith into it? Humans often feel that way with much of this world. Almost all other races have their own form of magic, thus those things they witness as babes are easy to believe. Humans have a more distant tie to magic, and so many will turn a blind eye to things they cannot understand. I think that's the reason human Riders are reducing in number... Even though the evidence is right before their eyes, they can't make sense of it and then shut their minds to it. It's a poor strategy, but humans are also the youngest race. She smiled weakly and let Varavada voice her opinion. Soon she was lost in the rich tone of her dragon, floating away on the soft pillows and sheets of the bed....

Only an hour had passed when the sound of the opening door made Amarose snap her eyes open. She jumped off the bed, hands at her sides and partially pulling the small swords out of their sheaths. A second later, she discovered it was only Samantha, and she lowered her weapons.

"Your Majesty," Amarose smile respectfully and inclined her chin to acknowledge the royalty that had entered the room.

"Oh- I- um, hello, Rider Amarose." Samantha looked around, seemingly embarrassed to have been caught trying to find Fela. "Is- is Lord Fela around? I tried to find him in the stables, but he wasn't there..." She laughed nervously, taking a seat in the chair beside the door.

"No, I'm afraid he's not here. Walk with me? Evening strolls can be quite calming, if I may so so myself, Your Grace." The Rider gently helped the queen to her feet and took her outside to the halls. "Elves quite enjoy night strolls as well, which may explain why you couldn't find him." She had enough sense not to ask why Samantha would be looking for him at this hour of the night, and she instead enjoyed the silence of their time together.

"Are you and Lord Fela... together?" the queen suddenly blurted, prompting Amarose to cut her mental link with everyone, including Veravada.

The female Rider raised her eyebrows in surprise, looking curiously at the queen before her. "Relations between apprentices and mentors are frowned upon within the Order, if not strictly forbidden. Yes, while it's true that I am a full Rider in my own right, I was still sent under the apprenticeship of Fela-elda. Why do you ask?"

"Well... At dinner, he would look at you, then you at him, and you would smile as if sharing something private... Then when he left, he grasped your hand and he gave you a look so intense that I was almost sure you two shared a bond deeper than what you let on."

"Oh!" Amarose laughed then, gently holding one of Samantha's hands between her own. The mental intrusion would feel uncomfortable for her, but Amarose knew the demonstration would clear things up. Samantha, indeed wer were sharing something private: our thoughts, something I know you have shared at least once with your dragon. She took care to shield most of her mind from the queen, and though she had nothing of importance to hide, she didn't want her getting lost in the the alluring colors and sounds that decorated Amarose's soul.

Then aloud, Amarose continued. "It's something that all Riders learn, and you would have as well. But I must warn you- it's useful for those you trust and dangerous if used against you. I advise you to keep it a secret. It is not common knowledge for most humans."

The remainder of the time was spent walking Samantha back to her wing of the castle, and after they had said their goodbyes, an exhausted Amarose began the walk back up to her guest room, reopening the mental link to everyone. Surprisingly, she found the need to have 'girl time' overwhelming after having only befriended mostly males during her training, and she was thankful for the queen, even if she was still young and inexperienced.

The Dragons welcomed her back with happiness and after their greetings then their own good nights, Fela spoke in his usual soft way. "You did very well Amarose. I would be much mistaken if you have not brought a measure of mor'ranr. Now rest. And know that I am well pleased with you."

He gave her some of his own immense energy but it while it soothed her fatigued body he had altered it so she would be able to rest and resupply herself rather than relying on him.

He also sent her an image of herself at the party and his own thoughts of how impressed he was by her and how very proud he was of her. She also could sense that he had seen darkness behind the eyes of some of the people at the dinner and party even through her eyes, but he gently urged her to ignore this.

"Rest Argetlam. Even a kona of such ramr needs her rest." He pressed a mental kiss to her brow dispelling all her worries and concerns simply by taking them for himself. "I will watch for you have no fear."

After walking back to Fela's guest room (as it was bigger than her own and he was away until dawn), sleep came easily to Amarose that night. Occasionally, Veravada flitted in and out of her dreams, but for the most part it was a sound night. When she woke, she found herself well-rested and bright, sitting upright in the bed to the rays of the mid-morning sun.

Immediately, she went to freshen up, though she looked at herself in the mirror longer than usual, inspecting herself. Her chestnut brown hair had gotten lighter from the sun exposure of her traveling, and her skin glowed with a golden tan. Her frame had already been slim, especially after switching to a vegetarian diet, but as she looked at herself now, she noticed the last traces of baby fat slowly disappearing from her face. It was probably because she was actually bothering to do the rimgar every morning, and the natural physical activity she had from travel also helped to tone her body.

You know, you don't look all that different, no matter what you think, Veravada's voice chimed in her head.

I do, I do, the Rider insisted, braiding her long hair to one side. I don't ever recall myself looking so serious. I mean, what's wrong with me, Vera?

Although the last part was mean in obvious jester, the dragon answered, Age does that to people, Amarose, even if it's just one year older. When her Rider stayed silent, she continued. Yes, I have not forgotten, little one. Happy twentieth birthday.

Amarose only smiled in response, feeling the affection from her dragon even as Veravada retreated from her mind. Birthdays hadn't meant all that much to her growing up, mostly because of horrid parenting by her father, but it didn't really matter to her. What was more interesting was seeing how much her face had changed year to year, and though they were always minor things, they were very visible to her. And this year, from 19 to 20, her face had lost a smidgen of its youth, though the mischievous sparkle in her eyes had never left.

Wanting to meet Sky-Rider for herself, she traveled down to the stables where she could feel her own dragon's presence.

'Good morning Amarose." Fela stood between Veravada and Jurizen while Sky Rider watched her from her stall. before she could speak, Fela cut in. "And Happy Birthday. We have presents for you."

Umaroth spoke first. I have this gift. He touched her mind and showed her a secret of magic, namely how to harden her skin to the point it was like Veravada's scales, nearly invulnerable. Just be careful when using this. I advise only using it in full battle and by using the energy if your enemies to supply the power. Still when you have mastered it you will be even more formidable.

Glaedr spoke next. I also will teach you a secret of magic. He touched her mind and showed her an aspect of the magic Umaroth had just showed her that would make it much more powerful. Oromis used this tactic often to fuel his body, especially in the final battle. He showed her how to drain energy not from an opponent's mind, thus behind their defenses, but from their extremities. It was difficult was highly effective as what it lead to was the absolute death of that limb thus crippling the opponent without them even realizing it. It is difficult I know but for most of your foes they will not be disciplined or well trained enough to block their entire being to your access. Learn to do it and who knows what you will be able to do.

Veravada spoke. Fela-Elda and Jurizen-Elda showed me this. I made it for you. It was a gorgeous black cloak with a silken purple interior. It's made from goose feathers and down. We found an empty nest last night. I hope you enjoy it.

Jurizen chuckled. It is beautiful hatchling. It will serve your Rider well in the future. I have a gift for you as well hatchling. He lifted a massive wing revealing a pile of the same black stone he had made with the dwarves. This pile however had been formed into the shape of armor. It was in her size and it was coated with protective magics and had a number of powerful stones throughout that could be filled to improve the armor and power it's magics. It was smoothly polished and the etchwork on ti was perfectly detailed showing her and Veravada as warring Valkyries flying amongst plooms of her Dragon's brilliant flames.

Sky-Rider spoke in her sweet musical voice. I got you something as well. She moved aside and revealed a trio of simply breathtaking dresses, one deep blue, one the same purple as Veravada, the last a scintillating crimson. She dipped her head. I wasn't sure what else to get you. Veravada said they would suit you.... She looked scared and nervous until Fela touched her shoulder. "Your gift is most kind hatchling. I thank you for your thoughtful gesture."

Fela turned to his apprentice. "It would seem the others have supplied you with many grand gifts. But I do have mine own. A few actually." He gestured and everyone could feel ti as her armor, the stones in her blades, and another pair of large stones filled with his immensely dense and powerful energy. He handed her the two stones. "These are to go into your saddlebags. They are meant to heal and sooth both you and Veravada in great need. But I also have this." he held out a box which opened for her. Inside was a silver and amethyst jewelry set. Each piece was filled with his energy as well. "A lady of note such as yourself must have the proper finery. I believe these suit you. They are very precious to my people. Wear them with honor."

He then stepped back and bowed to her, then spoke as he straightened. "I salute you Rider on this the first day of your twentieth year. I will allow you to forgo training for today should you wish it. How would you like to celebrate such a glorious occasion." He smiled his green eyes flashing at her, awaiting her answer.

Amarose simply stood there, crossing her arms as she fought back the urge to cry. The fact that they surprised her with gifts gave her a joy that was almost too great to bear, but she let herself get swept away with her friends' happiness. The magic, cloak, armor, and dresses were much more than she had ever gotten before, and she looked much like a giddy child who was excited to try out whatever knick-knacks she had gotten from the merchants. But she also knew these presents were much greater than normal presents, and she treasured them.

"Sky-Rider," Amarose approached the red dragon, beaming as she did so. "Thank you very much for these gifts. You didn't have to get me anything, but these dresses are wonderful. I would ask how any of you knew about my birthday, but I think I know who took care of that." In the corner of her eye she saw Veravada look away as if embarrassed, confirming her suspicions. Then aloud to everyone, she said, "Thank you, everyone. I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my twentieth birthday."

She went around then, thanking each companion silently to show them her gratitude. To Fela, she kissed him on the cheek as was customary of the Hadarac people. Thank you. I was trying to let this day pass normally, but I think Vera had other plans. You do too much for me already, so know that I am grateful for everything. A warm feeling filled her as she stepped back and smiled at him.

Thinking upon his offer, she paused, then grinned innocently. "I'd like to annoy King Horace some more, but I'm not sure dear Samantha would appreciate that, seeing as we're friends now. I think... I think I'd like to do something exciting. Oh, gods, please don't notify the Surdan royalty of today's occasion. I don't want another feast. I had my fill of that last night, and even after the dinner I was subject to far too much dancing. You see what you abandoned me to?"

Amarose laughed, walking over to lean on Veravada's leg, the box of jewelry still in her hand. They were too beautiful to pass up, and she began fastening the earrings as she spoke. "Fela-elda? Why did Samantha want to see you last night, and how did you know she intended to visit you?" She fumbled with the necklace for a while before giving up and walking to the elf for help, proffering the open box. "Would you mind fastening this for me?"

Fela smiled and gently and expertly put the necklace around her neck moving her hair out of the way as he clasped it. He then smoothed her hair down. "Don't forget the ring." He gently pushed her away turning her and smiled as he examined her with the necklace and earrings on. "Beautiful. They do suit you."

"No one will say a word about the day. I fully understand." His eyes grew cold as he spoke only to her. Samantha was taking a page out of her husbands book and was looking for a new bedmate and in her pride assumed it would be me. Do not judge her harshly. He has been very cruel to her, including intentionally sleeping with those she thought her friends to punish her.

His eyes warmed up as he looked into her eyes and he smiled, and she could easily sense the peace he felt from being around her.

Jurizen nudged his human apprentice. When you are prepared I want you to put the jewelry away and get your weapons. You and I will be flying together today. It is time we spoke Master Dragon to apprentice in full.

Before Veravada could speak Fela stepped up. "Veravada you will stay here with me and Sky-Rider and we will truly begin her training, as well continue your own." They were clearly giving an order but they also let their students know that they had special treats in mind, the clearest that Amarose would allowed to fly on the massive Jurizen, who indicated he could fly higher than nearly any other Dragon alive, and that he and his brother Elders would be solely working with Amarose allowing her to voice opinions, questions, or even complaints that she would or could not say to Fela for whatever reason.

Fela smirked. "This is not really training. This is more .... of a test. To see how you two behave when separated."

Quietly to herself for a quick moment, Amarose entertained the thought of Fela and Samantha, smirking as she did so. It suddenly occurred to her that the queen was still only in her seventeenth year, and it would have been like making love to a child. Then distantly, she wondered if intercourse with elves was dangerous for normal humans. They were much stronger, and if the elvish people really were as passionate as legend made them out to be... It would have been impossible! But she shook the strange train of thought and put on the last remaining item in the jewelry box: a ring- silver with a large amethyst and two small diamonds that sat neatly on either side of the purple stone. Indeed, it was beautiful though Amarose couldn't imagine a scenario in which she would need to wear such finery. In the coming years, she would most likely do what many new Riders did- being stationed to a post and aiding those Riders higher up in rank- and wearing exquisite jewelry would seem out of place . Nevertheless, she appreciated the thought and beauty of the gift.

"A test?" she asked, smiling at the elf and his dragon. "Vera and I can behave, I'm sure." Silently, she impressed upon Veravada how important it was for her to be respectful and to listen during her lessons. And seeing as how her dragon and Sky-Rider got along so well, she added, And don't play too much. It's okay to have fun, but you need to set an example for Sky-Rider.

Veravada understood but still replied with, And you don't go blabbering that mouth of yours off. Try not to do anything... distasteful, young one.

Amarose knew she had meant 'stupid' in place of 'distasteful,' and it almost made her laugh. Instead of retorting with something just as snappy, she shook her head and bid them farewell, bringing the presents up to her room. She wanted very badly to wear the crimson dress that complimented her brunette locks, but flying high in the sky was no place to wear such a gown. instead she opted for fitted pants and tunic, and she retied the braid to ensure it wouldn't come loose during her flight with Jurizen. Riding the great black dragon both excited and terrified her, as she was unused to having that much power beneath her. But she was also curious about what he had to tell her, and purely for that, she rushed back down eagerly.

Everyone was waiting there just as she left them, and as she approached, she saw Jurizen bend slightly to give her an easier time getting up. She could feel amusement radiate off the massive dragon, as he knew none but Fela could comfortably find a way to get to the saddle. Trying her best, Amarose gained a running start, kicked upward off Jurizen's front leg, and grabbed a spike to swing herself into the saddle.

Showoff, Veravada snorted, blowing a puff of smoke.

Hey, hey. I don't have Fela-elda's strength... I needed that running start, the female Rider answered, a gleeful smile splitting her face from ear to ear. Taking time to adjust herself, she bowed to Fela from the saddle. "Thank you, ebrithil, for the honor of riding such a glorious dragon."

Fela nodded. "I must admit it pains me to see another on his saddle but I am glad it is you. Mind your manners however."

Jurizen growled. It is my back. Before she could reply he had taken off. Just that single motion showed her that despite his size he was even quicker than Veravada and the force of it was so much it bent back along his spine until her began to fly for true. It is your duty to help Veravada train herself to be as quick and agile as she possibly can be. You are to do this with a number of exercises Fela and I have shown her and we will be showing you when you leave Surda. He did show her images of the exercises and they involved magic, feigned combat between the two, and even the creation of large net traps and other obstacles that Veravada would have to complete.

And yes Veravada just decided to fly through them at first. But we expected that He showed her had Fela had shocked the Dragon with magic then made her fly through again without touching the obstacles, though she had failed repeatedly until Jurizen had down so without clipping even a wing tip. Eventually she must be able to that and even more on her own. You may help with advice but no magic.

He then began to show her how to help Veravada see more of the world as like most Dragons while she had superb vision and was an exceptional hunter, she tended to miss things that she deemed unimportant or too small for notice. Jurizen had instructed his pupil on this repeatedly and would continue to do so, but was also going to use Amarose to aid this by showing her how to detect shifting wind currents. oncoming storms, and a hundred other little things that would make hunting, flying and fighting difficult. The point is to become one with your Dragon until you are no longer individuals but a single being with two bodies. That is the sacrifice yet the joy of becoming a full Rider. When two soul merge so strongly they are never alone.

He let her consider that as he landed on a smooth ledge high in the mountains. Glaedr and Umaroth spoke now. Now hatchling it is time for you to test your new gifts. We have shown you the magic. The difficulty is performing it correctly. You have the gifts of energy from Fela. You will practice both until you perfect them in tandem. It was clear the Dragons did not share Fela's idea for her birthday but Jurizen also revealed that Fela had intended that today they spare without guards with their weapons and he had intended to use both of his blades against hers He felt that that was not a suitable gift. The words I advise for the hardness are Moi stenr for change and stone and iet for yourself. I advise you do so carefully and preferably piece by piece until you achieve the goal. Start small. maybe with your hand. The same with the enhancing of your abilities. Begin slowly and check with us before you try to ensure it will not harm you. But also draw on us if need be. This is meant to be a gift not your death.

-----------------------------

Fela had Veravada and Sky-Rider flying all sorts of acrobatics and mock combat maneuvers and kept startling them both by leaping from one to the other, even in mid-air, to give advice, instruction and to show them how a Dragon fought differently when mounted and unmounted and how to utilize their bodies to both protect and advance the combat skills of their Riders to defeat their foes. His millenia of experience made him utterly sure of himself and he had all those years to draw upon when teaching, as Jurizen was far from the first Dragon he had fought with and he had even killed Dragon's with his own hands. He was unashamed, even proud of these deeds as like the Dragons he had killed he had been protecting his own kind and had given them glorious and honorable deaths.

When Samantha heard about the display she came out to watch and was stunned speechless. "I didn't know you could do that...."

Sky-Rider was pleased and feeling proud she actually spoke to Samantha. There is much we both don't know that Master Fela and Master Jurizen and even Wise Veravada and Wise Amarose could teach us. You should join us. Samantha flinched at the contact but bit her lip.

Fela ended the hesitation in his usual way. He reached out and broke it. He had Veravada fly low and hanging from the Dragon's neck spikes stretched out his arm and grabbed Samantha, who happened to be in leggings rather than a dress, and before she could react hurled her toward Sky-Rider who following advice from both elf and Dragon caught her Rider neatly.

At first frightened then angry, finally Samantha gave a delighted whoop and fell into the lessons with a will learning more in those few hours than she had in her whole life before, Fela willingly providing lesson after lesson. Near the time Jurizen had said he would be returning with Amarose, well after dark, Samantha and Sky-Rider begged for a halt and landed. Samantha freed herself and stood by the red Dragon's nose and lightly stroked the soft scales there, making Sky-Rider shudder in pleasure. "Equita Verst Nahja.... (I name you) Tislvin. (Dawn's Light)" She then surprised Tislvin by kissing her on the nose. "Thank you...and I am sorry....I need to wash for the party. We will fly together again soon."

She started away as Tislvin nodded happily when Fela spoke. "Rider." Samantha turned to the elf her cheeks reddening. He moved toward her and she began to shiver. He gently touched her brow with the thumb and first two fingers of his right hand. "This day you have begun your path to becoming a Rider. I welcome and greet you as Rider and friend. May you know peace and may the stars ever guide you home." As he spoke she began to shiver even harder then suddenly she was clean and in her most elegant gown. 'Go and enjoy yourself. Tell his Majesty that we will be unable to attend but we are grateful for the invitation. We must rest after our long journey."

Veravada huffed at the young Rider and her hair shifted into a very fine style that suited her well, then Tislvin leaned forward and touched her nose to her Rider's hand, right where they had first touched when she had hatched. Thank you for my name my Rider. The young Dragon poured all her hope, love, and her happiness into the words, and Samantha gasped trying to restrain her emotions nodding and stroking the red scales before her, then kissed her Dragon again before rushing off.

Fela intentionally did not look at Tislvin as she gathered herself then smiled as the Dragon gave a gleeful trumpet. I have a name Veravada! I have name...ebrithil.

Fela nodded. "And a fine name it is young one. ENjoy it. Now go rest and eat. Vera you as well. i must wash myself. We have further instruction for all of you when the rest of the palace is busy." He went to wash while the two Dragons went to the stables to find the remains of the kills from last night.

Back
Top Bottom