Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Riders' Legacy [ Ariamella & Greeneyed23 ]

RE: Into the Riders' Legacy [BlinkyWinky & Greeneyed23]

Fela nodded and spoke into her mind. "I truly do understand my dear. But you should get some real rest. Veravada will make sure you don't fall."

Leaving Amarose to make her own decision as he and the others began to teach the pair deep lessons of combat. they showed Veravada how to bite then blow flames into the wound while she bite injecting the victim with the bone melting heat of her flames while ripping her foes apart with her talons and bashing them with her tail. They showed her acrobatic movements that would allow her to divert, escape, and outfly most any foe, dragons included. Each of these movements and lessons was tailored to Veravada and specific abilities and learning expanding on what she knew to eliminate her weaknesses and to improve her strengths. They gave her advice on improvements to fireweed and the other natural items she knew so much about already. The dragons also gave her advice on hunting in Alagaesia as the land was very different there. In the east around Dos Duendar and the many other Rider cities there were verdant fields and forests filled with game of every sort as well as surrounded by large deserts and mountains so high as to tower over even the mighty Beors. There were creatures she had never seen and places she could not forage, as there were no limits in the dragons land.

As to Amarose they showed her how to counter each weapon she could face and how not only to counter them but also to use each weapon's strength and weakness to her advantage. They expanded on her learning as well especially her excellent abilities with the knives she had chosen as her personal weapons. They also gave her knowledge on using magic in ways she had never imagined to surprise and best her opponents when they least expected it. They also tested her mental combat abilities making she and Veravada fight them in different ways and ensuring that her defenses were solid then beginning to teach her the methods of emptying her mind and making her impossible to best in a wizard's duel.

They continued to teach throughout the day also feeding the younger pair what energy they could spare making sure they had all they needed to keep flying and learning. The four allowed the younglings to take a midday break of three hours as they had been taught so very much. "Alright younglings. Now we will teach in the old way. have you any questions about Alagaesia it's leadership or our duties there?"

Amarose stayed awake even after her master suggested otherwise, and listened intently to Veravada's training. The bit about burning a wound striked her as an odd tactic that none of the other Elders instructed her about, but as her masters painted a picture of the situation in her head, she understood why it was so useful. Dragon flame, while nearly impossible to penetrate into an enemy dragon in its unbroken scales, a bite would provide an opening for the hea to really char the fleah and possibly the bones. Amarose could feel her dragon reeling at the idea of it happening to her, and they both decided to stay away from the topic for a while.

The acrobatic maneuvers seemed simple enough, though as Veravada tried some of the twists and turns, some proved to be much more difficult to execute. She was a dragon built for speed and agility, much like her Rider, and the flight tactics held different ways to gain leverage against enemies, using momentum to her advantage. Glaedr and Umaroth told her of the hunting and how there were creatures that she would find familiar and other creatures that would baffle her to no end. The terrain was also different, as it changed quite often from mountainous to desert to forestry. They even explained the concept of hunting in snow, which was something Veravada had yet to experience.

Amarose took all this in, though she started drifting off as Fela turned his attention toward her. In her dreams, she could still hear him explain each common weapon from sword to bow on its weaknesses and strengths he even explained the weaknesses to her own weapon of choice, which were things that she didn't entirely know all about. While her daggers gave her mobility and agility, they weren't nearly as powerful as a single swing of a broadsword. They were, however, excellent to use if one had a good reaction time. And of course, reaction time came with practice. The magic explanation was also challenging, as it seemed that to best her opponents, she would have to be sporadic with her magic...but a controlled sporadic. She was to keep her enemies on their toes, then strike when they least expected it.

Mental defenses were a hole in Amarose's training that wasn't entirely filled, as she struggled to create a fortified defend thought. Most instructors told her to think about Veravada's scales, as they were one of the hardest materials to penetrate, but Amarose liked to think of emotions, focusing on those that were most likely to cripple the mind of whoever was trying to invade her own. Mostly she thought of intense sadness or loss, overwhelming the invading minds of her elders. Sometimes she would fail and other times she would succeed, but it became harder and harder each time as Fela and Jurizen had many, many years of practice. Emptying her mind was even more difficult, though she slowly made progress on it.

At the end of the instruction, she groggily woke and shook her head as an answer to Fela's question. Her mind was tired, but she had more energy in her body from the sleep and from the extra energy donated from Fela and Jurizen. "thank you, masters," she said, "I have learned much...and thank you for this break. It is much needed!" Amarose smiled at him, a sincere vision of appreciation arranged on her face.

Fela and Jurizen nodded thoughtfully at Amarose's words and she felt Glaedr and Umaroth withdraw for some peace within their own minds as well. Fela and Jurizen joined their minds and flew as one Fela's body tightly strapped in place so as not to be thrown or shaken about.

The joined pair were capable of incredible acrobatics belying Jurizen's massive size as he was quick, maybe even quicker than Veravada, and his movements were graceful, rapid, and nimble. He flew like a dragon a hundrendth his size yet somehow he did so with artful ease never harming himself or his Rider no matter how improbable his loops, spins, dives or other maneuvers.

As they flew they both gave loud roars of joy and triumph seeming to speak yet again with the same voice Jurizen's voice softened into the elf's tones while Fela's was roughened by the dragon's.

The younger pair could also feel the Eldunari's delight in the flight as it had been some time since they had been free to join with dragons and Riders going a long distance.

A voice, possibly one, possibly all four, called out to Amarose and Veravada. "Join us!!"

Veravada watched Jurizen flying around, jealousy and another...Unidetifiable emotion peircing through to her Rider's mind. Amarose could sense how her Vera hated to see another dragon match her evenly in flight, nimble and acrobatic enough to smoothly twist and turn as if bulk and weighg were of no issue. The girl chuckled while her dragon let out a puff of smoke, haughtily raising her snout as if to say, "I can do that too, just watch me."

It was then that Fela and the three dragons shouted for her to join them, and Amarose couldn't help the grin that came to her face as she braced herself on her dragons back and launched higher into the air as well. Making sure the straps were buckled, Veravada pulled Amarose into her mind, showing her for the first time what flying was like. This is the true meaning of being a dragon, young one. Enjoy it with me! And with that, the dragon dove into a steep spiral before snapping her wings open and following Jurizen in the same such acrobatic moves.

As for Amarose, the flying felt fantastic. It was as if she had never known flying before until that moment, where Vera's wings were her own and Vera's agile movement was her own. It was pure delight, and she knew why Fela wanted then to join him. Quickly, both females' thoughts became one, actions became one, and even the emotion became one. Whatever one spoke, the other would also, as they would sync in the ultimate bond. amarose could feel how free the air was, how the world was seen through limited colors but all her other senses were heightened. She could feel the pride of being Jurizen's student, and she could see how attractive Jurizen was...

Wait. That couldn't be right, now could it?

Only slightly irritated, Amarose withdrew from her dragon's mind. "I don't ever recall feeling that," she scolded Veravada. "Keep you emotions in check! They're bleeding over into my mind and. Along me feel all uncomfortavle." This part was true, as she could feel Vera's heat transferring to her, and it was all that she could do to not follow it, instead shifting uncomfortably in the saddle.

She and Veravada landed by a small pond next to a wooded area, where the girl stepped down to stretch and work her muscles beofe continuing on. The busy work kept her mind off the sensation of being in heat, something that Veravad was still watching and appreciating Jurizen for.

Fela and Jurizen let the females land alone as they had felt the emotions from both of them and had decided not to pursue the matter whether positively or negatively as both of them were too young, too inexperienced and were too unprepared to handle the consequences of either.

They satisfied themselves by circling the small island the duo had landed upon checking the area for wildlife of any sort and making sure they did not know that the four elders knew the truth. Glaedr and Umaroth handled that easily flooding the emotional field from them both with their flight, which was not hard.

Fela waited for some time then Jurizen dove down onto the island with a heavy landing making the landmass shake. "Hello hatchlings... why did you land? Is all well?"

Veravada lay where she had landed, licking herself clean to the utmost perfection. The sun's rays reflected nicely over her violet scales, making her look like a giant amethyst gem. A content look graced her face as she watched Jurizen land, a low hum sounding in her throat. Violet eyes appreciated the older dragon's movements, and she snorted at her Rider.

Amarose had walked away, uncomfortably stretching her long, lean legs as she sat on the grass trying to rid the feeling of Veravada's emotions. They were strong, and it was rare that she ever had to block out her dragon due to their bond and closeness. It was difficult, and she was glad Fela and Jurizen landed as well to provide some distraction.

She walked toward her master, a smirk on her face. She laughed sharply in response to his question, rolling her eyes. "Ask Vera why we landed, I think she can explain it well enough." She looked over to her dragon, who only raised her snout and blew out a puff of smoke. "I apologize, ebrithil. Vera is so young, not even 10 years, and she has yet to control herself as far as her emotions. And as for me, I am young, and it's difficult to block out my own dragon's thoughts, whether they're instructional or inappropriate." Amarose gasped shortly after, the strength of Vera's heat rising, and she sat in the grass once more to help quiet her mind.

Fela waved it off as Jurizen flicked his tail about not looking at either female cleaning his own scales and claws carefully giving both Veravada time to calm herself enough to fly on while Glaedr and Umaroth made it quite clear that now was not the time nor would they allow it to take place here as the two dragons would do much damage to the land. Not to mention that Jurizen would badly hurt Veravada were they even to try.

Fela cut off his own connection with Jurizen, who despite his reasoning was also attracted to the young purple, and let the dragons handle things. "You have no questions Amarose?" He stretched then sat n the lotus position meditating thoughtfully. "You may ask anything and should it not interfere with your training I shall do my best to answer it."

He closed his eyes waiting silently.

Amarose sighed, closing her eyes, letting herself feel nothing but the breeze through her chestnut colored hair, though she was completely aware that Fela came to sit with her. Ask him anything? All she wanted was to remove herself from Veravada's mind so that they could continue flying. Time lost was time she would never get back.

"How do you do it? Remove yourself from your dragon's mind? I've spent so long with the elders telling us that our minds had to be connected at all times, but I don't want to share the same connection when Vera is...is within heat." The girl opened her eyes, frowning before continuing on. "And then, I have no idea why she feels this way because it usually doesn't happen. The only other dragon we encountered this problem with was...Terda."

Memory of Anduin and his a dragon flashed through Amarose's mind, turning her lips upward into a smile. "And I'm sorry for having us stop flight for something so trivial. I apologize, ebrithil." She cast her eyes downward, a look of concern and remorse on her face.

Fela chuckled. "Such things happen. And Jurizen has long been an oddity and a mystery even amongst his rather odd and mysterious race. he was the size Veravada is now by his second hatch day. He was half the size he is now by his thirtieth. he seems to grow at marvelous rate even without my magic. the fact that he is like that and can move as nimbly as he does does give him an allure that few females find hard to resist. He has already fathered more than fifty eggs. And all but seven are fated to become part of the Riders. Personally I think he got tired of waiting on Galbatrix and soaked up all the excess magic and energy he could in his egg so when he hatched he could not help but be exceptional. Of course i can't prove it but then again who can prove anything about dragons?"

"As to cutting off the connection you put a wall in place. Such as you must should Veravada ever pass into the void. You know how mad the loss drove Galbatorix. And the dragons always go mad without their Rider. That i can explain. You see they hatch for us. Jurizen waited three hundred and twelve years for me. His sire was the mighty Belgebad the largest dragon of the age. the last egg he ever sired. Jurizen sat in Vroengard waiting for two centuries then Galbatorix struck. Another century. Then we met when i went to Illeria to speak with Your Queen Nasuada and my Queen Arya. I had never thought to be so honored but the moment i entered the room i felt a presence i had never known but somehow felt familiar. Then i touched his egg and he burst free and gave me this."

He showed her his Gedwëy Ignasia. it was his entire left hand and a heavy section of his forearm. He smiled. "He enveloped my whole hand wrapping his tail and wings everywhere. Even as a hatching he was rather large." he touched the mark smiling. "But I am rambling forgive me. Anyway the dragons who honor us so have never lived consciously without our connection so the loss is far too much for them to bear. And after a few years it is the rare rider who can survive even a few months with his or her dragon without going mad. The best way to learn is to try. So first you must shield yourself from Veravada. It will feel alien and will likely hurt but it is much better than being drawn into...that." he pointed at the dragons.

Jurizen was watching Veravada closely growling and not in the friendly mating tones. Fela let Amarose hear the conversation as though he was attracted to Veravada Jurizen was able to contain himself. "Youngling now is not the time. You cannot bear an egg while you are to fight and fly. I make you a vow here and now. If you can contain yourself until a more appropriate time especially when you have grown i shall give the egg you yearn for. But i will not put up with petty annoyances. i will react harshly."

What was truly remarkable is that Jurizen was speaking directly to Veravada his immensely powerful voice rumbling but somehow not affecting the land on which they sat until Amarose heard the odd echo from Fela's mind and Glaedr and Umaroth spoke to her. "The elf is older even than we. The plains of his consciousness are not easily filled. he is drawing the power of Jurizen speaking there keeping ti from harming Veravada or the island. But you can see why he does not do it often."

Fela was indeed not at his best. he had been smiling but now he was rigid and his eyes had gone fully black again and he was mouthing the words the dragon spoke. His Gedwëy Ignasia was glowing in a pulsing throbbing light but at a rapid pace that made no sense as it would beat as if with Fela's heart then again as if with another that was too fast even for an elven heart. With a hiss like a snake the elf began to twitch then slowly it faded ad the Gedwëy Ignasia grew ever brighter then suddenly it flashed bright as flame then winked out.

Amarose and Veravada both suddenly a massive boost in energy and Jurizen shuddered his whole body as he also received some while Fela stood and fed the rest in the stone of his sword's hilt and even into Glaedr and Umaroth who were shocked at the amount glowing through the saddlebags. Fela walked to Jurizen and touched his neck. He spoke in a hoarse whisper. "Please my friend...cease.... your power grows the nearer we are to Alagaesia." Jurizen turned his head with a snarl then saw how shaky Fela was and studying him nodded.

Fela walked toward the black dragon's head clutching his neck spikes as he walked along. Once he could see Veravada he spoke. "My dear young dragon...I understand your urges. i truly do. But I must ask you not to succumb to them for now....Please rest...I need to do the same. After..." Jurizen shivered but pulled back as Fela stepped toward the pool of water and stood for a moment shivering then suddenly threw his arms out his mouth opening as did his eyes revealing green flames as he shouted a pair of words in the Ancient Language so guttural no one there understood it.

A jolt of power left the elf and entered the water leaving a ripple then a wake as wide as the pool then went out to sea. It struck something living then began to drag it back a blood trail following the return wake. The pool exploded as a giant fishlike creature rose out of it and landed between the dragons. Fela sighed and sat on the edge of the pool as the Jurizen sniffed the fish then began to eat.

"A whale." Fela smiled then closed his eyes and lay back entering his waking dreams while Jurizen looked at Veravada and Glaedr spoke to her. "you should eat as well little one. Energy is good but a full belly is always better. Would you like some Amarose?"

Amarose listened, nodding her head to her instructor's words. What surprised her the most was his story of meeting Jurizen, astounded at the description of his sheer size. She looked down at his gedwëy ignasia, smiling as she saw the spiral of silver cover his hand and forearm. Indeed, Jurizen must have been a rather large hatchling to give him that large of a silver mark. She looked on to the two dragons, black and purple, watching as Veravada approached playfully, nipping and scratching at him while watching him in admiration. The purple dragon was trying to bait him into giving her attention, and she rustled her wings and raised her snout so as to show herself off to him.

It came a surprise then, that Jurizen growled at Veravada. Amarose looked on in shock, listening to the black dragon's powerful voice that boomed throughout the air, though mentally rather than out loud. The next thing that was alarming was Fela's burst of magic, and she could feel energy pumped into her as he imploded with the power of Jurizen's voice. It was scary...interesting and truly amazing in its own right, but scary nonetheless. A pang of guilt flooded through the human girl's heart, washing through her to the very core as she saw how weak Fela had become. His voice was shaky, as was his body, but he managed to bring up a meal large enough for both dragons before laying to rest.

At the offer of food, Amarose's stomach lurched, though she was very grateful that the company of dragons had thought of her. She looked upon the living dragons, watching them gorge there maws into the fresh whale, eating flesh and lard alike. The scene was much too gruspesome for her to handle, so she politely declined and excused herself. "No thank you, Jurizen and Glaedr, although I'm sure Vera is very happy for this meal." She walked to her dragon, pulling several fruits and various pouches of nuts before she walked away, stepping past Fela and out to a clearing near the wooded area.

Quietly, she nibbled on her own food, thinking of the day's events and how embarrassing the moment had been, for both her dragon and herself. Distantly she thought of Eragon's orders, wondering if this moment counted as creating too much trouble for her companions. She and Veravada had managed to anger one dragon and then drain his Rider in the next moment.

Come back, Amarose, Veravada said in her mind, across the mental bond they shared. I feel as if I can say nothing to Jurizen now. The meal is quiet, but not peaceful.

Well you did upset him. What were you thinking, Vera?

I thought he enjoyed my company as well. But I was wrong...he rejected me. I feel foolish now.

As you should, Amarose scoffed, rolling her eyes. And he promised you an egg, did he not?

...He called me a petty annoyance...

You're also much too small for him.

...Are my claws not sharp enough? My scales not bright enough? I—

VERAVDA! Amarose shouted, putting down the apple that she had been so content in eating. Did it ever occur to you how this would affect me? I sat, having to endure being attracted to Jurizen, a dragon would have otherwise torn me apart. And then having to feel lustful while talking to Fela-elda wasn't much better either. Eat your meal. Leave me alone.

Angrily, Amarose cut the mental link sharply, cringing as she felt the sharp cut of the connection. The sensation was strange, as if she suddenly felt smaller and...alone. But those feelings were overridden by anger and frustration, and the girl packed up her hardly-eaten food, slinging the leather bag over her back as she ventured off to the forest area, wanting to have solitude and peacefulness. Choosing a clear spot next to an old oak tree, she began the first stage of the Rimgar, closing her eyes and letting the movement flow as it should. It was true, that Fela was attractive, as he was an elf, and most males had the air of grace, poise, elegance, and masculiniy all bound into one. It wasn't a wonder that most human female Riders and even some dwarvish Riders had, at one point, been attracted to a male Elvish Rider. Such as the way Jurizen held attraction, most elves also commanded the same attention through natural beauty.

But having such thoughts about an instructor was inappropriate, as Eragon and so many other Elders had strongly clarified so in the beginning of their training. Such as it was, Amarose couldn't shake the feeling of attraction, and she continued onto the second stage of the Rimgare so as to remove herself completely and only focus on clearing her mind. If was successful until she reached the third stage, where she began having difficulty in completing the exercises. Sweat appread on her brow and as flexible as she was, her muscles ached and shook from the strain, and the muscle in her calf gave away, clenching painfully even as she tried to massage it back to its normal state.

The swore she spoke rang loudly, echonig through out that part of the forest, and she slowly picked herself up. She had pulled the muscle there, and every step brought almost agonizing pain. Using magic to numb the pain, she walked back to the site of her companions, a look of surprise on her face as she saw the whale carcass. Every strip of meat had been removed, save for a section near the head of the aquatic mammal, and Veravada was lying lazily next to it, eyes closed in a small slumber.

"Is Fela-elda going to be alright?" she asked Jurizen, Glaedr, and Umaroth, looking over at the older elf laying peacefully on his back. "Does he need anything? A blanket, perhaps, or a some food for when he wakes?" Gently, she sat herself down next to him, drawing water from the sea and changing its state from liquid to solid, holding the ice in a small cloth that she put on her leg so as to reduce the swelling. Energy lost in healing herself seemed like a waste, especially with an injury so small.

"I am perfectly fine Amarose." Fela sat up without warning and moving with the speed only an elf could gripped her leg and healed it without magic. "And what happened to me was not weakness. It was overpowerment. Jurizen's energy when he speaks is normally just enough to reenergize our bodies and the rest i channel into the stone of Hethdar. But as i told him the closer we get to Alagaesia the stronger it becomes. I think because in Lifa Skulblaka the land has yet to become imbued with the magics of our races. The dragon's magic has supported Jurizen's growth and development all his life. Now he is returning to it."

He smiled as he checked her leg over. His long braided hair hung over his back, face and neck. It smelled of sea salt, pine trees, and something exotic. He looked up at her face and smiled. "The dragons have given us yet another weapon. I will know how to handle the energy better from now on. But you and Veravada must never tell anyone about Jurizen's voice unless Either he or I give you leave. Not even Glaedr or Umaroth may tell you to. Am i clear?"

The black dragon twitched in his own sleep at the mention of his name as Glaedr and Umaroth spoke. "Nor would we attempt to Fela elf. Your power at that time was even more than that of Galbatorix at his height. We shall have to work together to channel it where it needs to go. have you reserve?"

Fela laughed and nodded. "I had. But i used it to fix her leg and to feed into the stone on her sword...which reminds me. What is the name of your blade Amarose?" he looked at her curiously. He was more vibrant than ever and his movements were now so fast his hands were blurs. The power his dragon had created had truly been enormous. He went over to Jurizen and began to adjust his saddle and put some food into the bags gathering more for Amarose. He was moving so fast that he had more than enough to feed both of them for the rest of the trip and eh was still moving around from place to place with remarkable speed.

Someone gripped her leg, making Amarose jump and let out a surprised squeak, trying to scurry away. But the iron grip didn't let up, and she felt warmth pour into her calf as she looked up, seeing Fela healing her muscle. Relief came instantly, and she sighed, listening to his exchange with the Eldunari. "My blade?" She repeated when he asked about it, surprised that Fela would want to know something so trivial about her. While he gathered food, she leaned over to Veravada, untying the sack from her saddle that held her twin long-knives. She took them out, laying them in front of her, a slight pink tinging her cheeks out of embarrassment. "Let me take the time to explain then, if you wish to know.

"I was born in a small village on the edge of the Hadarac Desert. The town isn't on any major map, only the regional ones of the desert. I was one of three children, the youngest out of all girls. My mother died when I was young, so young that I can't even remember, so it was my father that raised us. Trisha, the eldest, was 17 when our family lost much money due to my father gambling away in the cards house. So...he sent my her to be used at the will of other men, and the same fate went to my other sister when she turned 15 years of age. I was 12, so I didn't understand much of what was going on, other than it made my sisters sad...

"It was by accident then, that I met Thrauin, the egg carrier at the time. On a trip to the capitol to buy new dresses for my sisters, we passed by the biannual hatching tests, where lines of children stood to see if they were fated for the Riders. Of course, I, too, was entranced at the prospect of being someone so great and honorable, but my father forbade me from standing in the line. He told me it was a fate for richer families and not a poor townsgirl. Nevertheless, I stood nearby to the ceremony as my sisters went to the tailoring shop. It was noon when Thrauin and his companions decided to take a break to have lunch in the nearby tavern.

But as he stood, a child knocked one egg out of his grasp, and it rolled toward me. It was the lavender colored egg. I picked it up out of kindness to give it back to him, but as I started to hand it over, he paused, frowned a bit, and told me to watch the egg. It wasn't a minute later that the purple dragon popped her head out, marking me as her own." Amarose lifted her right hand, showing her Gedwëy Ignasia. It was small, pretty Riders mark, a silver flower that bloomed outwards on her palm. "It was remarkable that I had been chosen out of all others...me, a thin, dirty girl who belonged to the Hadarac.

"Naturally, Thrauin took me to Eragon, where I began my training. When I was time for me to receive a blade, I didn't choose a sword. Each one felt heavy in my hands, so I requested twin long-knives—admittedly smaller and less powerful than a sword, but I knew how to weild them well. Some of the elders objected to granting me a weapon, as I caused much trouble then as well, but Eragon let me have one. He knew I cared about the Riders, and he knew I respected the position I was in." She turned over her weapons, ornate designs on the hilt and face of the blades, and each had a small amethyst set in the hilt.

Saying the ancient word for pride, she smiled and looked up. Though Fela was gathering food, she knew he was one to listen. "That is what I named them. A simple name, I know, and some took it as an extension of haughtiness and a way to gloat, but truly it is a way for me to remember how much I appreciate being part of the Riders...and how Veravada likely saved me from a fate of molestation and corruption." Quietly, she ran her fingers over the stones, feeling the energy stored within. "Thank you, ebrithil, for the energy. It is much appreciated."

"You are most welcome. We shall have to ensure that you maintain a powerful reserve. i want you and Veravada both to funnel all the excess energy into those stones every chance you get. And you will not use it unless you have absolutely choice. That means Glaedr, Umaroth, Jurizen and i are either dead are unable to give you aid. Such treasure troves are beyond compare."

He kept rushing about event though he was feeding all the excess energy into his own stone but there was so very much that he could not come down from the high. he was even putting more into the other five and into the plants and such around making them fairly sing with life but still such a vast amount remained.

"I shall have to get Jurizen to talk both less and more. The energy is so powerful....hmmm." he studied the black dragona nd began to grin. "Alrightt we've palyed around enough. If you are ready it's time to go younglings." He walked up to Jurizen and kicked his neck. "Wake up you big scaly monster!1"

Jurizen snarled and snapped at him btu Fela dodged it slapping the dragon across the jaw. jurizen roared and belched jet black flames at the elf who laughed and clambered up his face and ran down his neck to the saddle. Jurizen snarled and thought. "You know i hate it when you do that."

Fela nodded. "yes. But it was necessary this time." he cast a spell and a perfectly round and smooth disc of glass rose from where the dragon had breathed flame. he cast more spells and the disc, which was taller than him and just as wide, compacted until it was in the shape of a crown then he cast more spells and stones of various sort pulled out of the ground and attached themselves to the crown shaping themselves the shards merging with the glass turning into a rainbow.

"I just realized we did not bring a gift for the dwarf king...or queen. not sure which they have just now. let's be off."

Jurizen grumbled. "Next time I'll just ask I promise."

Amarose pulled herself onto her dragon, watching as Fela did curious things to the island. He seemed so energized now, and Amarose almost laughed out loud. For how old he said he was, he actions were like that of a youngling, though he carried himself in a way that most men could not. As he ran past her and to Jurizen, she caught a whif of his hair. It smelled of nature tones, namely sea salt and pine trees, though there was something in it that she couldn't place. She looked on his grinning, handsome face as he teased Jurizen close to annoyance, and he went through his spell of making a crown. It was beautiful and intense at the same time, fitting for a dwarf to wear.

I can see I'm not the only one who likes her instructor, Veravada mused suddenly, tail moving around, testing the wind. Though I'm sure you remember what happened to the last Rider who harbored feelings for an elder.

I'm not harboring feelings for anyone. Fela-elda is easy on the eyes, is all, as most elves are. Although...yes, I remember. But she attempted to make it known to the elder, yes? That was inappropriate and is something I will not do. Besides, I'm not the one who went playfully pouncing and nipping.

I do hope he promises you an egg.

Oh, gods, Vera, I know what you mean, but I'm young and have no interest in bearing children. I have plenty of life ahead of me to do that.

Amarose quieted her mind then, having Veravada leap into the sky and back into the wind stream. Cruising in the air felt nice again, and she was glad she wasn't bothered by her dragon's lustful nature. The pair flew well into the night, watching the sun set, making way for the stars to come out. Along the way Amarose occassionaly asked questions to all four of her instructors, wanting to know more about the history of Alagaesia and the dwarves themselves. Then, she practiced putting a mental wall between herself and Veravada. The process was arduous and difficult, but by the end of the trip she could place a wall for a few minutes at a time. Any more than that and her consciousness started to feel alone, driven wild with the idea that her dragon was supposed to be there, but wasn't.

"How much longer?" she asked her elf friend, knowing that the trip would actually be coming to an end soon. Indeed, just as the words left her mouth, she could see torchlight in the distance. Relief poured over the girl as she was tired from traveling and the thought of laying her head down to rest in a bed was enticing. Just as Fela said, the dwarf city was situated on the south side of the Beor mountains and it was hard to miss. As Veravada began her descent down, Amarose could see small ships near the water that she could only assume was for trade. Then, a long path from the beaches to the mountains introduced the dwarven fortress. A large stone pad was set high in a peak that was probably for the Riders to use, and it lead down to a series of pathways into the mountains.

The purple dragon landed gracefully, though there was a stumble at the end as Veravada tried to stretch her muscles. Amarose hopped off her dragon's back, immediately greeted by a gruff-looking dwarf man, though his demeanor was cheery enough.

"Welcome!" he said excitedly, clasping one of her hands in his own. "My name is Grunel, and I'm here to welcome you to our stone city. Tell me, lady-Rider, are you traveling alone? I heard there was to be two of you tonight! Oh, how exciting this is indeed! A few of our kin have been chosen as Riders, you know, and I don't doubt that they are excellent indeed!"

Amarose smiled at him, genuine happiness touching her face. "Yes, my companion and instructor is with me. He'll be landing as well, shortly I think." Her eyes scanned the night sky, and she could just barely make out the she's of Jurizen's scales, as he was dark as the night sky. "Many of our Dwarven Risers are skillful in diplomat, fighting, and magic. They definitely have been a blessing to the ranks of the Riders."

Grunel talked more, making idle chat as he helped to unload Veravada's saddle, and both waited for the elf and his dragon to approach.

The four taught her happily telling her much of the rich history of the races of Alagaesia the various magics that had helped shape it the history of the dragons in the land and of course the things Galbatorix had done including the continuation of the R'azac who were a big reason why the six were here to begin with. There were many more things that had grown in the centuries since the king's death. There had been more shades, and despite Nasuada and her descendent's attempts, and they had been born of a union between herself and Murtagh when he had been able to return as a true Rider. They told her as he became the Marshall of the North serving as the replacement for Eragon in her service and as her consort and the father of her five children.

Alagaesia had spread in all directions both under Nasuada's rule then even more under her children grandchildren and the many afterwards. Nasuada herself had lived a remarkably long time for a human more than a hundred and ten years ending her age at even more than Galbatorix. In all that time she had never slowed down and never stopped fighting for justice. It was suspected Murtagh had helped her stave off the aging but that had never been proven satisfactorily. Murtagh still served as the Marshall of the North though it was a more independent position now that his many times great grandchildren ruled. Many had trained under their ancestor and had learned much from him and the other constant Rider's in Alagaesia as they had from their parents. In addition to Murtagh and Thorn, who was nearly as big as the massive Jurizen, Arya Drotting and her beloved Firnen who was now about the same size as Saphira, the dwarf Rider Hvedra the Second. The eldest child to Grimstborith Orik and his wife Grimstcarvlorss Hvedra she had been the first Dwarvish Rider and after finishing her training had returned home to guard her people along with her good friend Urgal Rider Herndall Tuzhog.

These four had served Alagaesia as the official initial trainers of the Rider's when their race's children were honored by hatching dragons though of course the current present patrolling Rider's were the most involved with the training. The Rider's had set up another outpost in the Hadarac Desert where they had only three constant rider's all of whose dragon's had purged their Eldunari leaving them in Lifa Skulblaka and had long since had or sired their eggs. Just now with the four race representatives and the three outpost commanders there were four other Riders in Alagaesia. Two had just become Riders and had yet to grow enough to go to Lifa Skulblaka the others just recently returned from their training. All this and more the four elders taught their pupils and also hinted at the so very much there was to teach them.

Hverda and her stone grey dragon Fang landed by Amarose and Veravada. Fang was a fair sized dragon about half the size of Saphira now. Hvedra had grown rather large for a dwarf a least a foot taller than all of her kin and was as nimble as any elf or human. It was odd to see a Knurlan with the ears and eyes of an elf and to hear her speak the ancient language as well as any elf but as the eldest dwarf living and the first dwarf rider she had broken many barriers for her people.

Upon seeing Amarose and Veravada they spoke together Hvedra possessing a rather musical voice while Fang had a gravelly rumble bellying her sweet and loving nature. Their words were simple, "Kvetha Fricai Shur'tugal and Bjartskulr. Atra esterní ono thelduin. Mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr. Un du evarínya ono varda."

They both bowed to Amarose and Veravada. Fang explained to Veravada that her actual name was in dwarvish and was actual a rather long blessing from her Rider's father but it had mentioned her fangs several times which she liked so she ahd taken that as er given name.

Hvedra nudged Grunel. "Have you not eyes knurhiem?" She pointed right at Jurizen and Fela who with a roar and a flash of black flame that still lit the sky exposing them they dived to the sands landing with a heavy thud that shook the beach. Jurizen bugled and rubbed jaws with Fang who had been his nest mate for so long and Fela scooped Hvedra up into a deep hug laughing as she tried to squeeze him back just as hard. They called each other a number of very rude names in dwarvish and Elvish before hugging again.

"It is good to see you again friend of my heart. And you as well Fang."

Hvedra laughed. "And you my dearest friend. I see Jurizen has gotten even bigger."

Fela nodded grinning then seeing Grunel turned and gave a very low and respectful bow. "i greet you humbly as a Rider Honored Knurla. Thank you for your kindness in welcoming us. I am Fela Turin. I have not had the honor." He extended his hand and shook Grunel's who could not help but grin at the odd elf.

Fela looked around nodding approvingly. "This is a mighty city my friends. It is a credit to your race." The other dwarves beamed at him while watching the three dragon and unknown to them the two Eldunari speak in their way of their journey and of the happenings of the land. Fang was telling them about the new Shade in the North that Murtagh had yet to find, how the Elves had won the Games this year barely besting the Humans while the Urgals had beaten the dwarves by only a point. it had actually all come done to a four way tie that the elves had only escaped by being a bit faster in the race. The Raa'zac had been sighted in Teirm of all places and had caused so much havoc that the city state had rejoined the Empire simply to get help but as of yet the Riders had been unable to locate and kill the monsters.

Fang let the two Riders hear all this as well but Fela was busy greeting the dwarves and refusing offers to help unsaddle Jurizen. "You are most kind but he wishes to hunt and his saddle needs to stay with him for now."

Fang looked at Hvedra who laughed and slapped the dragon on the shoulder. "Go on you scaly brute." Fang feigned hurt then nuzzled Hvedra's hip with her neck then took off followed by Jurizen.

Fela turned to Veravada. "You may accompany them my dear. You should see the wonders of the Beors." he turned away to let the dragon and her Rider discuss it as Hvedra put an arm around his waist and yanked him close and started toward the city while Grunel and his guards waited for Amarose. "Lady our Queen Grimstborith Tylok the Beautiful wishes to greet you in the city. She had not yet arrived when you landed for which she sends her sincerest apologies but the affairs of state were most pressing. Shall I inform Her majesty you will attend?" Grunel made it very clear that though Fela was an honored guest Amarose was the guest of honor. As a member of Dûrgrimst Vrenshrrgn like his Queen he had a special duty to present himself and his people well to their most especial guest.

What probably scared Amarose the most was a fairly large dragon that decided to land right next to her, making her jump and spin around, uttering a curse in her own tongue. The action was bothersome, and she was contently unsaddling her dragon! Couldn't Fela tell that she was busy?

"Ebrithil, I know that you are a fantastic flyer but— Oh." The girl quieted rather dumbly, realizing that the dragon wasn't Jurizen but a gray, majestic creature she had never seen before. And off the top of it, a dwarf woman hopped down to the ground. While the dragon was larger than Veravada by any means, the woman who introduced herself as Hvedra was only a couple inches shorter than Amarose. She was impressive; strong and womanly all at once as well as sporting more elf-like features and a better knack for the Ancient Language than Amarose...but then again, the youngling tended to forget to speak in the Language save for the times when she conducted magic.

As for Amarose, she said the greeting back in kind, bowing her head when she recognized the name. The very first of the dwarven Riders, Hvedra was to be given the utmost respect. She listened on as Fang explained the etymology of her name, then waited patiently as Fela landed, making his own greetings to Hvedra. Through their conversation, Amarose picked up a few words—mostly name-calling—which made her awkwardly look around. She knew it was in lighthearted nature, but it was still strange to be in a place where she knew no one. An immediate pang of loneliness went through herself. While Fela and Jurizen had many friends to see in Alagaesia, she herself had none. Who was she going to see? Her family? She had already made sure her sisters were released from the awful work their father put them through, and there would be no way she was going to see him. Sourly, she thought upon the fact that she would rather have the Raa'zac take him and dispose of him.

On the other end of the mental bond, Veravada wasn't coming to terms with the fact that Jurizen displayed affection for Fang, and sat silently as the other two rubbed jaws. A jealous taste trickled over to Amarose's mind, flitting from actual envy to admiration, to happiness, then back to envy. Nevertheless, Amarose urged her to fly off as well in the Beors, as they were mountains worthy of flight. She wished she could've gone as well but she had already unsaddled her dragon, and she knew that she had duties to fulfill. She was to conduct herself in a friendly manner and respect everyone and everything around her. If it weren't for the fact that Eragon himself told her this, she probably would've been off playing with her dragon. But Eragon-elda was like the father she never had, giving her encouragement and proper discipline when needed. And above all, he trusted her. She wasn't going to let go of the trust for anything.

After much talking and chatter, the dragons flew off and Hvedra had stolen Fela to walk with her. Amarose was then left with Grunel and the other guards, listening to him tell her of a meeting with Queen Tylok herself. It was rather confusing to her, as it seemed Fela should be the one to receive the extravagant treatment. She stayed silent for some time, mouth open in unspoken words.

"Dear child, you need not to be so awestruck," Grunel chuckled, patting her lightly on the back. "She is of my clan, and if I dare say so, I am sure you will like her. Beautiful, even among the other races, and she has an alluring personality."

"Don't fall behind, Amarose, dear!" Hvedra's voice sounded from down the pathway, an echo falling afterwards.

A slight blush creeped over the girl's cheeks, and she nervously tousled her long hair. "Of— of course I shall attend, Grunel, it would be quite the honor to meet Her Majesty."

Grunel gave a satisfied grunt, and began following the dwarf Rider down the pathway, though his pace was a little slower. Random slabs of stone quickly turned into shaped columns and smooth walls, torches lining them in just the perfect amount of light. The grand entryway was sort-of hidden behind a large slab of granite rock, and one only had to walk around it to see the door. It was tall— taller than the height of three dwarves put together with large, black bolts as a locking mechanism. The foyer was large and spacious, branching off to different directions. It was slightly intimidating, but when Grunel asked her to pick a destination, she pointed to the far left hallway. He chuckled in response, telling her it was a good choice. As it turned out, the hallway lead to levels upon levels of living quarters. Smaller rooms started at the base, while the larger ones were placed up at the top. A large glitering cap of glass topped off the large chamber, with small jewels scattered within, that cast tasteful colors whenever the sun hit it at just the right angle.

"Your belongings have been brought to one of the top rooms. You may take your dragon there, as we have an additional entrance on the side of this small mountain, or you may take the stairs or the pulley system we have. Additionally, we have the stone slide system that many of our dwarven kingdoms do...but we advise you not to use them. They are not built for the human body, but for the body of us knurla." Grunel chuckled once more, leading her away and to various other halls and rooms. Though she expected it to smell stuffy and stale, the air in the mountain palace was fresh (the dwarves had many ventilation systems) and she appreciated the design in awe. Many of the hallways had glittering jewels in place just for decoration— it was truly the pinnacle of beauty. Once the basic tour was done, Grunel brought her up to her room using the pulley system. Before leaving, he announced that she was to be expected for a meal with the Queen and other important clan chiefs and members.

Amarose wandered about for a good twenty minutes before bathing and changing into a fresh set of clothing. The bath house was a steamy room that held a warm pool of water. Next to it was a towel, robe, and bath products that she was grateful for. By the end of it, her hair and body smelled faintly of rosewater and citrus, while her clothes were fresh and wrinkle free, warm and soft against her skin. How long had it been aince she had worn a dress and makeup? It felt good to be extremely feminine, even if it was to be presentable for Queen Tylok. The dress was a lavender color that complimented her eyes, and it ran knee length, being very comfortable.

Relaxing in her room, the mischievous side of her opened up, eyeing the stone slide. It was a long way to the bottom with a couple sharp curves but...yes, it was worth it. She readied herself, fixing the dress so it wouldn't fly up inappropriately during the ride. Then, she was off! The feeling was exhilarating and terrifying all at once— the sides were much too short, and she almost fell out on more than one occasion. But, she made it to the bottom safely, in the hallway that led to the common dining hall. It was there that she stood up, spinning and giggling loudly to herself...until she ran into someone. A man, elf, and— oh no. A familiar braid caught her eye, as did the scent of pine trees. Quickly, Amarose went to hide in a closeby niche in the wall. Stupid, stupid, so incredibly foolish! Why hadn't she checked what was at the bottom before she started? Holding her breath, she peeked out from behind the wall to see if she had been caught.

When she peeked out Fela was looking right into her eyes. "You look lovely my dear. Let us go meet the dwarf queen."

Glaedr's voice, speaking to Veravada came through the link. "Youngling you should not be jealous. Fang and Jurizen have simply known each other for many years. But there has never been anything between more than friendship."

Fela chuckled as he took Amarose's arm leading her along. "Silly scaly beasts." He sighed happily. "As to tonight it's fairly simple. You have been trained in etiquette. Do all of that for the Queen. And we should find you a gift for her."

He paused at a statue that had clearly been moved to the city. It was of the two Eragon's with the heads of their respective dragons. Fela stepped forward pulling Amarose along without realizing it. He spoke in a whisper. "My friends. How very much you have changed the world." He smiled touching the base at their feet. Both Riders stood at the same height and were facing away from each other their bodies open toward each other their inner hands resting on the head of their dragons their outer hands openhanded as if in greeting.

Fela chuckled and touched both open hands. "May your examples forever shine my friends."

He turned then jumped slightly. "Forgive me my dear. i forgot you were here. Uh....yes back to this evening."

He sighed and lead her along. "First you are the honored guest because you are the one who has never been here for one. Two you are the younger. And three I've met this queen, before she became queen. She doesn't like me. Her taste appeals more toward the softer sex. Do not let her seduce you. She is a lovely lady but but her power is nothing you want to fight against."

Hvedra met them outside the dining hall. She was actually wearing a dress to match Amarose's. "You look lovely dear."

Fela smiled. "As do you my friend. Shall we ladies?"

He looked at Amarose after Hvedra nodded.

Nodding along, Amarose smiled then quickly and vigorously started shaking her head. "No, wait, not yet. I don't mean to keep Her Majesty waiting, but I have to do something first..." Looking around, she disappeared inside a small, empty nearby room, muttering something about making a gift. Once inside, she thought of what she wanted to make. A crown was out of the question as Fela already created it. Besides, hers wouldn't turn out half as good— she had neither the energy or skill to make something so extravegant. But...she would try.

Finding a small parch of dirt in some neglected corner of the room, she made a rose grow out of there, singing softly as she did so to speed up the process. It was a technique she learned from the elves, and it was fitting for her, one who had a clear, soprano voice that echoed slightly within the room. Afterwards, she called up gold from the ground, gilding the rose with the precious metal, leaving each petal as grand-looking as gold but still as velvety soft as a rose should be. All through this process, Veravada sensed her need for energy and helped her so that she wasn't too weakened by the end of it. Finally, she put a spell on it so that for long as Tylok was queen, the rose would grow in any place, and even multiply. To her, the rose was a symbol of eternal beauty— fitting for a queen called Tylok the Beautiful.

Emerging from the room (she had only spent close to three minutes making her gift), she greeted her instructor and Hvedra, smiling nervously. "Now I'm ready," she said.

Hvedra led the way, opening the door to a formal dining hall. The inside was decorates with gems, stone carvings, and a high ceiling fit for even the grace of the elves. A long table held a group of dwarves, Grunel among them, who looked to be either very important or very lucky to be there. And at the head of the table sat a female dwarf, clothed in a regal burgundy dress, a heavy fur draped about her shoulders, and a simple gold crown atop her head. Fair, almost white-blonde hair hung down her back, and green eyes sparkled happily as she watched the trio walk in.

"Hvedra!" Queen Tylok exclaimed, standing with her arms open. "And our guests!" She made her way to them, greeting the dwarf Rider enthusiastically, then turning to Amarose, grabbing one of the girl's hands in her own. "Ah, my lovely guest of honor. I do hope you enjoy yourself tonight. There are many festivities to participate in, and I'm sure you and your dragon Veravada would be very happy to join!"

Amarose greeted her in formal dwarvish (really the only thing she knew how to say) and presented her gift, explaining the enchantment she had cast upon the flower.

"Oh, how splendid!" Queen Tylok exclaimed in response, expressing her thanks and passing it off to a male dwarf nearby. She moved to Fela then, extending an arm out to shake his hand. "Fela Turin," she nodded, "It's a pleasure seeing you again. How is that black dragon of yours doing? You don't look a day older since I last saw you." A smile graced her face, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. She seemed cordial enough, though, and patted him lightly on the cheek.

Fela gently shook her hand bowing to her then presented the rainbow crown. "Greetings to you great Queen Tylok from both myself and Eragon Shadeslayer. He wishes to extend the offer to come visit Lifa Skulblaka at some point. We would be honored to greet you as friend."

Once he had been thanked and dismissed with great politeness but a clear lack of emotion he took his place at the table. He sat near the far end by the dragon's plates as the three came through their own door.

Jurizen was walking beside Veravada. He had explained to her that he and Fang had never mated. He considered her too much of a nest mate and did not feel the desire for it nor did she though she had born eggs of her own.

The black dragon took his place beside the elf who winked at the scaly beasts. "Hello my dears." He then turned as Tylok, having lead Amarose and Hvedra to her end of the table took her place and with a wave of her hand the feast began accompanied by a lovely musical group. The dwarf lords, all thirteen of them, were spread along the table and they mixed between talking to the elf when their Queen was occupied and trying to talk to Amarose while Hvedra talked with anyone and everyone.

Fela caught Amarose's eye and winked. "Expect similar treatment throughout the land. And don't worry about me. I don't want to annoy our hostess anyway."

Amarose shot Fela an alarmed look as Queen Tylok lead her to be seated at the right of the head of the table. Hvedra was invited to sit on the left, but the queen had no invitation for the eldest guest, letting him sit where he chose.

"So Amarose," the queen started, pouring the girl a generous cup of mead. "Tell me how you came to travel this journey...and with Fela Turin. I'm sure Hvedra here would've had no problem showing you around Alagaesia."

Shaking her head and taking the cup, Amarose shook her head, explaining what happened. Fela was not a choice for her; Eragon had chosen him to take part in the journey. Not that she had a problem with it, though. He was an excellent teacher, and while he couldn't quite be called a friend yet, he was a good person to talk to.

The air seemed to get heavier as the night wore on...or was that just the mead in her? From across the table, she could sense Veravada's satisfaction at Jurizen never having mated with Fang. She caught Fela's words as he winked, frowning in response. One one level, she loved meeting new people, but on another, she hated not having Fela there as a median to get rid of any awkward conversation. And on an unrelated note, she found that the longer she stared at him, the more attractive he became. Hmm...she liked the way his hair smelled...

"Amarose," the queen interjected, pulling her out of her silent reverie. "Are you enjoying yourself?" A twinkle sparkled in her eyes, though the associated emotion wasn't placeable.

"Hmm...yes, I am," the girl giggled out, swirling the glass of drink in front of her. "The mead...the mead is excellent! And the food, and the music!" She still maintained an air of poise around her, even as she tipped the glass back to down the mead.

Fela had been chatting with several of the clan leaders, who had begun to question him about his adventures in far distant lands including Alalea and the other lands that the elves, Urgals, and humans had come from. Jurizen and Fela had seen magicks, peoples, and creatures beyond imagination. They had fought and killed Theldor the Grey a supposed descendant from the Grey Folk, they who had created the Ancient language itself.

Fela did not tell the dwarves that he had done so by using the name of names itself nor did he tell Amarose as she was not of sound mental judgment because of the powerful dwarven mead though he did let Veravada know. Fela had learned the name from his travels having found a trove of ancient tomes far to the north. He had gone back to the north, after Galbatorix's to begin bringing them back when he had met Jurizen's egg. he had also fallen under the king's spell that had made him forget the name so when he could remember the first thing he had done had been to visit Eragon, even before the egg had hatched, and they had discussed what was to be done with the knowledge. Because of his age and knowledge Fela could have been a dangerous foe but Jurizen hatched before Eragon could make a true decision on what was to be done. When they had arrived in Lifa Skulblaka Eragon had had long talks with the pair and sworn them to secrecy about the name of names. With only Murtagh, Eragon, Arya, and now Fela knowing it it gave the Rider's an infinite advantage.

Fela shared all of this while still discussing the battle against Theldor telling them of how he and Jurizen had destroyed the creature's citadel and felled his armies, then told them that Theldor was no Grey Folken but an albino human who had used magicks and potions to extend his life for several centuries but he was certainly not older that Fela, who had come to Alagaesia as a baby before the Du Fyrn Skulblaka in which he had fought even killing several dragons. This more than anything had been why he had become so solitary after receiving the dragons' gift of immortality to his own race.

Jurizen of course knew of all this as did Fang and they, like Glaedr and Umaroth, did not hold it against him. he had fought hard and well to protect his nestmates and had proven himself a mighty hunter and warrior. All of that Jurizen shared with Veravada, as did the two Eldunari who had many memories of the elf in battle both from their own memories and from the gifts of memories from elder dragons who had fought or been present during the first dragon war.

Fang observed that the elder four were always teaching and Fela smiled. "Sharing knowledge is the duty of the elders. To forget the past is to repeat it. If you learn from history you can change the future."

Noting Amaroe's state Fela gently touched her mind. "Little one you must take care. The queen has set her sights upon you. If you succumb it could do irreparable damage to your reputation. i do not mean to deny you enjoyment but you must be aware that you cannot allowed yourself to be influenced more by one race than any other. You must make a careful decision. If you need help we shall give it."

He was eating his fruit happily teasing the dragons who were snatching heavy bites from the pair of massive Nagra the dwarves had brought just for them, while he also kept talking to the dwarves though he also kept a careful eye on the young duo under his charge. he was especially worried about Amarose as it would be very easy for Tylok begin to manipulate her just now. "veravada...please speak to your Rider. It is up to the two of you but I don't trust Tylok or any other race with your loyalties. You are of the Riders. Your loyalty should be to peace, the Riders, and your fellow dragons nothing else."

"The day I was chosen as a Rider, all of the instructors threw me into training right away. History, philosophy, fighting...all of it. But the most exciting this was the test. 'Tuatha du orothrim,' or 'tempering the fool's wisdom' in this language."

"The impossible feat they expect you to accomplish in order to unlock your magic?" A nearby dwarf asked, his face lighting up in interest.

Amarose laughed heartily. "Yes, that's the one. Typically they do something to severely infuriate children...filling a tub with water when it had a drain, moving a pile of rocks without the use of their hands...but mine was special. You see, one of the Elders who trained me wanted me to get him to move without physical contact or verbal communication. Every day we would do it for an hour, and often times I just resorted to giving up. But the second week, I had about enough and when he told me to start the exercise, I just sat there."

"And then? What did you do? How did you move him"

"Well...I made the ground underneath his feet cave in." A grin spread across her face. "I screamed out in anger and the next thing I knew, he was six feet in the ground. Not dead, though, he was just very upset I had it cave in so deep."

The dwarf and his friends around him laughed along to the story, and the queen herself gave a tiny giggle. Hvedra's lips twitched in amusement, but she showed no emotion otherwise.
Amarose had been entertaining them with stories of her training, as many of the dwarves had never met a Rider so young. Most of the Riders that had been there were on official business, ambassadors of some sort or were old and traveling around for leisure. It was refreshing to see people appreciate her, and the girls couldn't help but smile at the acceptance of the dwarves.

Even in the happy haze that settled in her mind, she could pick out her instructor's mental presence, frowning at his words. "What do you mean?" she asked back, slightly confused. "Has plans? What kind of plans? What kind of decision? Why would I need your help?"
She shut her mind then, continuing her enjoyment, though she stopped accepting more alcohol.

Amarose, dear, Veravada entered her mind now, a careful, soothing tone about her voice. Fela wishes me to tell you to be careful and make the right decisions...Need I say more?

I know, I know, Amarose reassured her. Mmm...have you noticed that his hair smells like pine trees and the sea?

Who's hair, youngling?

His hair...

Cautiously, Veravada removed herself from her Rider's mind, notifying Jurizen of Amarose's impaired state of mind. It worried the female dragon, and the sparkle in the Queen's eyes worried her even more.

Glaedr and Umaroth were very displeased with being dismissed and spoke to Amarose. "the Queen wants to take you as a mate youngling. Fela is too polite to say so but such a thing is not only foolhardy but for you very dangerous. Tylok is a very powerful monarch and will quite readily use her influence with you to take more power. She is already angry enough that Hvedra refuses to serve as her vassal. You cannot let yourself be influenced so. To do so is a failure as a Rider."

Fela tried to soften the blow. "Now that-"

Fang cut him off. "Amarose you must listen to your teacher. Tylok has a lengthy reputation for using her sex. if you do allow her to seduce you very well but if so then you must find a way not to let her take control of you. You are losing your inhibitions and that is very dangerous state. Don't forget she would if nothing else like to learn more of the Ancient language. She is a very powerful magic user in her own right. and possessed of a remarkable ability to learn and guess true names."

Hvedra caught Amarose's eye and nodded not letting her eyes display anything still. Fela spoke to Amarose again but this time out loud. "Amarose which trainer did you have for your knife skills?" As he asked he made his eyes very wide and open letting the alien musical allure of his consciousness spread toward her inviting her in.

He was planning on getting her full attention so she could think clearly then letting her handle it. She was doing very well but the queen had altered her mead to heighten her endorphin and hormone centers increasing her sexual attraction and lower her inhibitions even more than usual. It was an old trick of hers and as it was not truly dangerous was impossible to detect.

Fela smiled offering more and more of is mind to her showing her beauties that he had seen throughout his long life but only a hint giving her the option to see more but only by following him deeper into his mind.

"Amarose dear, more mead?" Queen Tylok offered, holding up a large pitcher to fill her glass.

"No— I mean, that's much too kind but I don't think I should have anymore," the girl implored in response, trying to take her glass away.

"Nonsense! You're like family here...like part of our clan. Besides, you seem to be enjoying the drink, dear."
The queen poured another glass, handed it over to her, then reached up to stroke her cheek. "You are a very, very special Rider, I can see that."

"Do you think so?" asked Amarose, taking a sip from the drink, lost again. "So many elders think I don't really care about being a Rider. But I do, I really do."

"I know that, and some of us will know how to appreciate a talented, young Rider like yourself."

Amarose opened her mouth to answer when the voices of Glaedr and Umaroth filled her mind with their deep, rumbly voices. At their words, the girl gripped her gold cup so tightly that her knuckles turned white.
"...to do so is a failure as a Rider."
No...she wasn't a failure, was she? She hasn't agreed to anything...not yet at least. And she thought upon the issue of Tylok wanting to take her as a mate, which wasn't good at all. Not only did the thought make her feel uncomfortable, but it also made her feel guilty for some reason she couldn't explain...
Nevertheless, she listened again as Fang spoke to her, warning her of the queen's intentions. It was a struggle to get past the haziness of the mead, but she was able to comprehend everything, including Hvedra's discreet nod.

"Dear, are you alright?" Tylok's eyes searched her own, a hand reaching to stroke her arm this time.

"Yes, I'm, um, fine...it's that I— uh..." Amarose looked down, incoherently forming sentences to give her an excuse to not speak, ashamed at the woerds of her teachers. It wasn't until Fela asked her a question a minute later that she looked up, grateful for the normalcy of the conversation topic.
"Fela, I thought you knew? Different instructors, but I was mostly taught by Orianthe and Gjurza— elf and urgal. Orianthe taught me accuracy with the throwing knives and Gjurza taught me combat with the long-knives...they are both excellent teachers. Of course, Orianthe taught me all the grace to go with fighting, the delicate dance that one must go through with her opponent. And Gjurza taught me the ruthlessness in fighting, the little surprising edge to throw someone off...sometimes I think she taught me a little bit too well." She finished and grinned at him.
Through the haze, her mind touched upon a presence that seemed familiar...but it was much more open, somehow more vast as if a never-ending pool of knowledge streamed from the consciousness. Connecting eyes with Fela, she knew it to be him. Was he...inviting her inside? For what?

Tentatively, she reached out with her own consciousness, her own jumble of cloudy discordance meeting the almost music clarity of an elf's mind. She smiled, seeing landscapes of Alagaesia, his meeting with Jurizen for the first time...the images were beautiful, and she dove deeper into the vast area of his mind, wanting to see more. Along the way, she accidentally let go of some of her own memories whether she was aware of it or not— Veravada's hatching, the first time she had ever used magic, her first kiss with Anduin, her most recent encounter with Anduin and how she viewed Fela, her attraction becoming apparent. Granted, her sexual state was intensified at the moment, but there was no way to mistake the memory or thoughts. Faint attraction, but it was there.

"Fela Turin, I believe you are stealing my guest of honor," Queen Tylok said coldly to him, though it didn't break the connection between him and Amarose. "May I ask what exactly you are doing? You seem to have stolen all her attention!" She gave a sharp laugh that held no emotion.
All around, conversation between the dwarves fell silent as they watched their queen's state. The music still played, but everyone could see the irritation in her eyes that signified that something was wrong.

Smoothly, Amarose turned to her, her consciousness still within Fela's. Ceravada gave her an easy lie, and it came out flawlessly. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but Fela was just telling me about a fun little story about Gjurza and— and how she became to be one of the main weapons trainers."
The little stumble was the only indication of a lie, but it seemed too be believable as the queen visibly relaxed.

A bit of a paused and then... "Answer my question," Tylok demanded, looking at Fela.

Amarose looked at him, brows furrowed slightly as she cocked her head to the side. Why did he invite her in? She took another sip of the mead, though considerably smaller, thoughts of desire and confusion mixing in her mind.

"Your Majesty, I was simply speaking to her in her mind. her teachers were dear friends of mine but sadly dear Gjurza was killed before I returned. We were consoling each other about the fact."

This was entirely true. Fela smiled at the Queen daring her to call him out as he funneled some energy to Amarose and Fang and Hvedra spoke to her mind. "Use it to clear your haze dear. In this state Tylok is more than dangerous. While Fela has her attention gather yourself. And there is no need to feel bad. Your feelings are only natural."

While the dragons, Eldunari, and Hvedra spoke to Amarose Fela continued to grin at Tylok. "And we were also discussing some Rider's matters especially that if she imbibed too much of your most excellent mead she would be unable to travel tomorrow or to endure her training. She is still young and she has much to learn. She also has not had much experience with strong drink. i was simply helping her understand that she must be careful. A powerful magician has to take care when drinking."

his eyes were just as cold as Tylok's and though he did nothing to truly challenge her he made the danger of her position quite clear. he was an ancient beyond ancient elf and a Rider and in addition to that a guest. If she wished to remain Queen she would have no choice but to back down. He had presented his reason very calmly, reasonably and most importantly politely.

She had nothing with to attack him and no reason the clans would accept, especially the Ingeitum and Az Sweldn rak Anhûin who until recently had remained unfriendly to the Rider's but had signed a treaty with Hvedra and the clans that they would never again attack the Rider's. In fact they had been startled to find that a few of their members had become Riders and this had allowed them accept the truth that their near extinction had not been the fault of the Riders and had sworn a new oath to protect the riders as they had of old. The other clans also had a great liking for Fela and Hvedra who had both fought hard for them making firm friendships that not even the Queen could overcome.

The most important of these was the immensely powerful Dûrgrimst Quan, especially their Grimstborith, Kuthvir, who had first ascend to the position in the wake of a brutal attack on their homes by a Shade which Fela and Hvedra had jointly destroyed, and after which Fela had revived the badly wounded dwarf at great cost. The two were old friends and Kuthvir did not like how the Queen was acting.

So it was that of the twelve clan chiefs there eleven were watching their Queen concerned as they were not pleased with her actions.

Fela continued to smile warmly though his eyes were holding a deep danger. He just waited calmly for Tylok to react silently and with provoking her in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom