Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Riders' Legacy [ Ariamella & Greeneyed23 ]

RE: Into the Riders' Legacy [BlinkyWinky & Greeneyed23]

The wave of energy sent from Fela was like a douse of cold water, hitting the girl squarely in the deepest parts of her mind. The effect was almost instantaneous and the haze from her mind was lifted, leaving her in an (almost) clear state. She smiled at Fela, giving him a smile of gratitude, though it quickly turned to a look of confusion, then horror as she saw the silent battle between Queen Tylok and her instructor. A look to all of the other dwarves told her that Fela had the upper hand, but still she could see the hardness and distaste in the queen's eyes.

Then, in a moment of relief, Tylok smiled at her guest and relaxed in her chair.
"You are quite right, master elf. How silly of me to think that you would ever try to take away my guest of honor! I'm sorry about your loss of a friend, and I should've known that Amarose would have much to do tomorrow. Although...Amarose, dear?"

"Yes?" the young Rider answered, switching gaze to her left side.

"Would you like to stay a couple more days? There's much to see within my city and I'm sure you would like to explore the halls and caves. Would you be so kind to accept the offer?" She reached for Amarose's hand, holding it within both of her own.

Amarose, flustered from the question, detached herself politely and shook her head. "No, thank you. I would love to explore your grands halls but unfortunately I have other places to see at the request of Eragon himself. I do, however, await the day when I can be graced with your presence again." She smiled genuinely and then took a slice of one of the pies set out on the table, effectively ending the conversation.

No doubt she was trying to ensnare you. But I'm proud of you, and I hope you know now not to drink so much, Veravada said, the tone of her voice reflecting curiosity and the thought of laughter.

Yes, well, I don't drink often. The mead was quite excellent, to be fair. Amarose grinned and continued conversation with those around her.

The night wore on and a little past midnight, Tylok dismissed her guests. Little by little, conversations ended and the clan leaders trickled out of the dining hall. When Hvedra stood to leave, Amarose did as well, motioning Veravada to come with her.

Fela cut in. "Your Majesty next we are going to Surda to visit King Horace and the new Surdan Rider. We then will head north to visit Queen Tamar of the Empire. We also need to head even further north and visit with Murtagh. Then we are going to go see Arya Drotting and my brethren. Then we are going to see our fellows in the Hadarac. We will continue south and plan to come visit Farthen Dur. We will of course let you know when we are in the area and if such a visit would be timely for you."

Fela stood as did everyone else and left with Jurizen the two going on a hunting trip. In reality they were just ensuring they were well away from Tylok. Hvedra would protect Amarose from the Queen and Fela stayed in mental contact with the two in case he needed to return.

As he left the other clan leaders followed him out making their farewells to Amarose as they left but ignoring their Queen. This furtehr enraged the Queen as her little ploy with Amarose had not only failed but also made her appear weak to her subjects as well as making her seem rude to a guest. She would have to work very hard to make up for it and she could not dare to insult or challenge Fela ever again. This was the biggest reason he had left as he knew well that few persons were more dangerous than a monarch in danger of losing their support and thus their crown.

He was carefully contacting the other clan leaders convincing them to show their support to the Queen and to assure her that she was in no danger. it took some work but they agreed and slowly they began to rebuild the Queen's confidence.

Fela also presented another series of gifts from the Rider's.

"Hvedra? Where is Fela-elda going?" Amarose asked the elder female Rider as she watched her instructor fly off on his massive black dragon.

The dwarf-woman just smiled, a look of fondness crossing her face as she directed Amarose to a hallway on the left. "He is just taking a late night ride, probably to gather more food for the long trip ahead of you...and to evade Queen Tylok for the night. She is upset, and who's to say she won't try to harm him in his sleep? Of course, it would be a brash and ridiculous move, but you know what they say: hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
She chuckled lightly and took a right, pulling the girl along with her.

Amarose smiled. "So is the queen often like that, then? Does she...always try to take mates in that manner? I'm not trying to speak I'll of her or anything, I'm just curious..."

"I understand, child. Anyway, she does try to take many, especially if they're a person of unique importance. She has tried to seduce me as well. Do not feel bad that you were almost seduced by her. Her own magic within the mead is strong. You are also a very beautiful young woman, Amarose. She simply couldn't resist."

The duo neared the base of the small mountain that held the rooms, and Hvedra and Fang made their goodbyes, watching as Veravada took her Rider to the top floor. There was no room for the dragon, however, as Veravada was meant to sleep in the dragon hold, which was the small mountain on the left. After saying goodnight sentiments, Amarose laid her head down to sleep in the warm bed.

The night was carried with dreams of Tylok flitting in and out of her mind, and each time she saw her, the Queen would try to pull her into a room. It was a strange dream, and Amarose spent much of it running, in search for someone to escape with. But she found no one.

Whatever short of a time she had been sleeping, it was interrupted by a group of men, who were rough-handling the girl, binding her arms and legs. It was with difficulty that they managed to gag her with a thick rope, but they accomplished it after she left out a high pitched scream of terror. Without a dragon and without Fela, she was left to her own devices. Sadly, that didn't include magic as the girl was taught very little non-verbal spell casting. She didn't know how to focus her mind enough to think the spell without some part of it changing, and she struggled against her kidnappers. They held her down with force, their strong grip bruising her wrists and arms. Muffled sounds left her throat, and she could tell they were picking her up and transporting her somewhere.

"The Queen would like a word with you, young Rider," said the man who kept her feet up. He had a gruff voice, one that she had not heard before. But her eyes widened at the mention of the queen, afraid of what the monarch wanted with her.

Glaedr, always more attuned to the nature of mortals, and Umaroth who had nearly become one with the movements of the land sensed the violence and sent a probe to Veravada and Amarose waking the dragon but unable to reach the Rider. They sent Amarose to Hvedra and fang who began to search for her as Fela and Jurizen turned guarding themselves as they prepared for battle with the Queen.

Her trap had been clever and well concealed but the vanishing of the girl's mind was seen wholly as an attack and as such Fela was not only compelled but expected to destroy all in his path in rescuing her. In her anger and lust the Queen had made a serious error. She had never in her life seen an angry elf nor an angry dragon. Now Fela, Jurizen, Glaedr, and Umaroth were in a towering rage and they would not be stopped. They focused their minds together emptying them of all thought letting their compunction guide and fuel them.

Jurizen began to speak and Fela began to channel the energy into himself and the dragon as well as the Eldunari, using the magic to place their armor upon them. Fela's was jet black and covered in wicked looking spikes and plates so thick and well made that they had stopped even dragon claws from striking him, his elven strength and abilities allowing him to move perfectly in it. Some of the other Riders believed the duo's armor was made of brightsteel which was why it was never damaged nor scratched but neither gave answer of any sort letting them speculate. as for Jurizen his armor was also jet black and covered his entire body from snout to tail even encasing his legs and wings when he wanted it to as he did now as just as the magic finished they landed before the Queen's manor Fela running down Jurizen's neck and leaping off his head to land before the terrified guards.

Before them stood what seemed to be two dragons, one bigger than a mountain, the other big as a Kull. The smaller one wielded a blade black as death and spoke in the voice of the gods while the mountain dragon, encased fully in seemingly impenetrable armor walked forward letting each step shake the ground beneath him. The voice was that of all four elders and contained such power the dwarves did not dare lie or attempt to argue.

"Where is Tylok?"

"Within masters..." The guards knelt as the two rushed on.

Glaedr and Umaroth well padded and protected by the armor, served as rear and flank guard subduing any living creature to their sides and rear, while also commanding those ahead to stay out of the way and sending everyone they found away. Fela ran roaring for everyone to flee this place and at his word every servant and guard fled in terror even the Queen's private guard as Fela carefully promised not to harm the kill thus not invoking their own oaths to die for her.

Fela kicked open the door to her bedchamber startling the Queen who had been to focused on Amarose and her captors. The doors did not swing open but exploded into fragments. Jurizen barked a word and the captor's knees buckled and Amarose's bindings fell away. Fela stood in a quaking rage glaring at all of them.

He did manage to speak calmly but their was no tone of subservience or politeness in his tone. "Why have you done this? Why have you laid violent hands on a youngling? You have broken oaths dwarf. You have broken faith. Explain. Or be damned to you all."

The room was filling with the immense energies that the four brought to bear. Fela stood waiting but was also crafting a mental spear that would kill everyone in the room except for Amarose. There did not exist in all of dwarfdom a magician who could match their skills, experience or knowledge not even Hvedra who arrived with Fang and Veravada also in a towering rage melding their efforts to the elf's.

Hvedra also spoke. "You fool. You have attacked a guest and Rider. Insulted another and invoked the power of a Master guarding his student. Explain for your very life. I assure you your crown is no longer yours." The clan leaders sat upon Fang and Veravada's back watching their Queen in horror and shame.

Kuthvir gripped his beard and with a savage cry ripped it from his face. "You have destroyed us!! All for a few hours of pleasure?!! You fool!!!" The other ten began to sob and wail tearign at their hair and beards begging for forgiveness from the now silent Fela.

Fela and his companions stood like a mountain, power immeasurable, secrets unfathomable, and with mental defenses so mighty as to be entirely unassailable. The elf and his three dragons as they were now were not angry. They were apocalyptic and only blood would truly satisfy their fury.

Tylok's two handmaiden's, young dwarves of great beauty, began to convulse under the weight of their combined assault and anger and Fela swept them out of the room and out of danger without uttering even a word.

But despite their rage no one could compare in anger to Veravada. She was beside herself, roaring and screaming for Amarose longing to rip, tear, and burn her way to her beloved Rider who she did not dare contact with her mind. Fela and the others did not stand in her way nor attempt to calm her but for now she satisfied herself by sitting watching the dwarf Queen like a cat who has cornered the mouse and is simply waiting for the right time to pounce.

There was no escape for any of them and only a very very very good reason would allow the queen or her foul servants to survive this encounter. No one had faith that such a reason existed.

The way to Tylok's chambers was a journey that Amarose had difficulty remembering. Then again, it wasn't as if she wanted to remember it anyway. During the entire way there, the men had been slowly been unbuttoning the lavender dress, no doubt in preparation to be brought to the queen. Her struggles did little against the group of men, and each of them carried her along as if she were little more than a sack of potatoes. Hair was pulled and bindings were tightened, but she finally made it to the queen's chamber. It looked to be an image out of a dream, as the handmaidens had set up a warm bath and fresh linens on the bed. Queen Tylok herself bore a look of serenity and kindness, one that reflected the current situation very badly.

"Amarose, dear," she said, taking in the girl's gag off. "I was so worried you wouldn't make it! I had this set up for the two of us, isn't it wonderful?"

Amarkse could only look on in fear, trying to back away from the monarch. But it was her captors who stopped her, pushing her forwards.
"Um, I— Well, it certainly is nice..."

"I do hope they weren't too rough with you. I would never actually want to hurt you. Ever. I just...you're a very beautiful woman. Wouldn't you like to be with a beautiful woman as well?"
The queen stroked her arms, slowly moving her hands up and down, eyes on the half open dress.

"While it is a tempting offer, I—"
Her voice was cut off by the sound of an exploding door causing the queen and the group of men to take a large step back. And when she looked to her left, Fela was standing there along with Jurizen, Hvedra, Fang, and most likely the two Eldunari as well. He looked furious beyond measure, and after a single word that sounded more like a roar than anything else, Amarose's bindings fell away. The men let go of her, and she sunk to the floor with a small umph! sound, rubbing the red marks on her wrist before scurrying over to the group of people at the door.

A glance at Fela told her that she probably shouldn't run over to him; he was suited in armor she had never seen before, and he looked menacing. She ran to Hvedra instead, who enveloped the girl with warm arms.
"There's no reason to be afraid of your master. He's trying to protect you, look." Hvedra offered a warm smile as she whispered this to Amarose, and the girl watched Fela with curiosity, wonder, and appreciation.

But what really caught her attention was Veravada, who's eyes held a fire that Amarose had not seen before. The great purple dragon was taking steps toward the men who kidnapped her Rider, growling and baring her fangs. Then, in a moment that seemed like a blur, Veravada picked up one of them (the man who had unbuttoned the dress) and swallowed him whole, letting out a mighty roar afterwards. She turned her attention to Tylok, who was now cowering in a corner.

"O great dragon, I didn't mean to upset you!" she squeaked out, holding her hands in front of her face as if it would sheild her from the dragon. "I did not wish harm upon your Rider! I wished only to show her love and tenderness, and for her to also sate my need for love and tenderness..."

But you would have her touched and disrobed by men, afraid for her life, all while you would force yourself on her? You disgusting pig of a dwarf-woman! I'll tear you to pieces for what you've done! Rip you apart! Burn you with the hot fire from my maw!
Veravada took a step forward , extending her neck, but Amarose rushed forward, placing a hand on her dragon's side.

"Do not, Vera. I'm alive and well because of you and Fela. You have already taken one life tonight, do not take a second. I'm okay, alright? And besides, bringing death to Tylok would be putting her out of a life of misery. Humiliation, loss of the crown, and being shunned by her own clan and people is a much worse fate than death." She said the end words to Tylok, her voice cold and face expressionless. The monarch's face paled and silent tears streaked down her face.

"Please!" Tylok called out, face twisted in a snar. "The girl is barely a youngling. By human standards, she is well past childhood, and she has a right to know the ways of the world. You can't shelter her forever!"

The clan leaders and Hvedra only shook their heads, and each of them filed out, the weight of the shame hanging over their heads.

"Come, Amarose, you may sleep in the dragon keep or with one of us if you'd like, if you feel uncomfortable with staying by yourself." Hvedra gestured to herself and Fela, started to lead the girl away, but Amarose stopped, turned and walked to Fela.
"Thank you," she said, hugging him. "I'm so sorry I didn't keep better watch or keep myself wary of such a trap. I couldn't even perform magic... It was something that was not yet taught to me, and I panicked...please forgive me, ebrithil."

Fela snarled at Tylok's words. "You forced yourself upon her. And her choices of mate are hers to make not yours. You are only not guilty of rape because of our intervention." he then spoke in the ancient language marking her hands and forehead. her hands became bright bloody red and her forehead was imprinted with the word 'Rapist."

He turned walking out with the others his armor, as well as Jurizen's, faded. Fela was surprised but pleasantly so by Amarose's hug. "We shall work on such things my dear. I am just glad you were not hurt. And that you talked Veravada down."

He held her close for a long moment then released her. "You should come with Hvedra and me to the Dragon's keep. Help us keep an eye on Veravada. She is still very angry." the violet dragon snorted pushing out flames the same shade as her scales.

Jurizen nodded as well. "You only need to know one thing about silent magic casting hatchling. You do so by focusing on the word to exclusion of all else. In such situations it is best to use simple words that cannot harm you should they have wards."

Fela nodded. "But that's the only lesson for now. Now we are all going to rest. Tomorrow we leave for Surda."

He crawled up Jurizen's side into the saddle as did Hvedra on Fang's and the two took off for the keep leaving Veravada and Amarose some privacy to speak together.

After everyone had gone, Amarose approached her dragon carefully, laying a hand on a bulky shoulder before slumping down, a sob tearing from her throat. She was afraid; afraid as she'd ever been in her entire life. The two comforted each other for a time, sending soothing images and thankful thoughts between the mental bond they shared. Amarose sank onto the ground, feeling so child-like for falling for the queen's trap and causing such a commotion within the coastal city. But then, if Tylok had her way, it would have started something long and evil between the dwarves and Riders, and what then? The same held true for the situation of Veravada bringing harm to the dwarf queen.... She came to realize that her four instructors saved her (and the rest of Alagaesia) from something that could've gotten out of hand. They provided companionship, safety, comfort...

But no matter how comforting Fela's hug was, it was nothing compared to the presence of Veravada. The great violet dragon snaked her neck around to look at her Rider, blinking a great orb of an eye before her serpentine tongue flicked out to lick Amarose on the cheek. Both were happy to be alive and well, and after some time, they decided to follow to the dragon's keep.

"Someday, this will make an excellent story that will be laughed upon in good nature. But...that day won't be for another 50 years, I think." Amarose jumped off her dragon's back when they arrived at the Keep, sniffling lightly and rubbing the last of the tears away from her eyes. Hvedra and Fang were on the opposite aide of the room, and the dwarc waved at her. Amarose smiled a bit as she spotted Fela and Jurizen, walking over to them. A blanket and pillows had been conveniently laid down next to a larger section for Veravada, and she sighed happily, laying herself down. It wasn't long before the girl fell asleep, experiencing a comfortable and restful night.

The next morning, Amarose woke groggily, stretching and letting out a yawn. Everyone else was still sleeping, including her own dragon. She had something to do this morning...what was it?

Oh yes. The Rimgar.

Internally groaning, she stood and went to the nearest washroom to freshen herself up before heading out the the open courtyard near the Dragon's keep. Fela had saved her, so the least she could do was go through the movements of the exercise. It was good, anyway, to stretch and wake up her body. After all, there would be more flying ahead of them. Starting with the first position, she gradually got to the third position, her flexible body almost pushed to its breaking point. As her mind was already open to what was going on around her, she could sense that others were beginning to wake as well. She paid it no mind, however, and continued the pose, a thin sheen of sweat appearing on her brow.

Hvedra and Fela silently joined her in the poses Fela still so much more advanced than even the dwarf who was startling flexible able to touch her heels to her head from either direction and do full extension splits. Fela could do all of that and more laying his entire torso on the ground doing a split or his back if he so chose.

Fela held a handstand for a full twenty minutes doing lengthy pushups throughout the wait stretching every lithe powerful muscles.

As they finished he looked at Hvedra and nodding they both moved in grabbing Amarose gagging her. Before she could react Glaedr, Umaroth, And Jurizen spoke both calming Veravada and beginning to educate the young human.

"First of all you should fight very very dirty when you are being carried off. Strike however and wherever you can. While you do that you are to focus on a spell a single word. We advise you form a shield against personal contact."

Amarose opened her eyes, heart frozen in fear. She felt like she could barely breath, smothered by the memory of groping men and a lecherpus queen.

She struggled heavily, fighting against the gag, twisting her body this way and that to escape the iron grip of both elf and dwarf. She was already at a disadvantage, being that she was human. Most humans couldn't overpower a dwarf, and never before had she seen one overpower an elf. Her struggling was futile, but still she thrashed around, hoping to hit either one. After some time, anger that had been kept inside burst forth in the form of a shield the moment her mind focused on one word: skölir.

Both Fela and Hvedra were pushed back by some sudden, invisible force that kept them at bay, allowing Amarose to launch a mental attack. It was simple, not that strong and not meant to actuallly harm, but she wanted to get across that she was angry. They could probably shield themselves from it. Easily.

Tumbling away from them, she shouted a spell in the ancient language to summon Pride, her two long knives, and she caught them flawlessly in the air. Without bothering to sheild the edges, she whirled on Fela, holding the blades close to him while she crouched in an attack stance.

"Do not comfort me and then do the same as Tylok mere hours later." Amarose's eyes flashed dangerously in a way that no one had ever seen before. She herself hadn't known this side of her even existed. "And to think, I thought you would be the very first instructor I even bothered to respect." A snarl of disgust washed over her face, and she turned away, running back to Veravada. The girl clambered up the dragon's leg and slid herself into the saddle, preparing to take flight.

Child, I do not think this is wise... Veravada hesitated for a moment. Don't you think you should go back and apologize?

Fly, Vera. I already strained myself doing the Rimgar, and then they throw that at me. Technically, I am past the apprentice stage of Rider training. I have earned my weapon, therefore I am a Rider who can make her own decisions. Fly.

Veravada leaned on her haunches, raising her wings, but something was holding her back...probably fear of being reprimanded by Jurizen and the two Eldunari.

Veravada was stopped.

Fela grabbed her foot and pulled her back knocking her blades out of her hands.

"You should consider your words before you speak them. Child. Your actions were excellent until then. We had no choice. Tylok was the least of the dangers you will meet during this trip. And let me make this clear. If you ever speak thusly to myself, Hvedra, Jurizen, Fang, Glaedr or Umaroth again you will learn just how truly dangerous I am."

His eyes blazed at and Veravada actually trembled. As angry as he had been with Tylok her words had mad him even angrier. Even the dragons and Hvedra were frightened off by the sheer depth of his rage.

"We were training you to protect yourself and you proved yourself beautifully. I shall forgive your foul words and foul manner this tie because of what you have been through. But this is the final time."

He turned scooping up her blades and handing them to Veravada who hid them under a paw. "And you have these weapons because you needed them. Not because we had to give to you."

He walked to the door and out and the tension faded immensely.

Hvedra sighed. "He may have been heavyhanded with it but he is right Amarose. We never get the chance to react at the best times. You needed to feel the same thing. But you should have been able to know you can trust us. Good morning."

She marched up Fang's foreleg to her saddle and the two left without another word. Jurizen turned his back to the young Rider and curled into a ball quickly going to sleep. The two Eldunari did speak to Veravada but only to her. "You showed good restraint little one. Well done. Speak to your Rider." They told Veravada about how they had all planned to train Amarose thusly. They had expected her to be angry but not for her to hurl such invective. The rudeness especially offended the elf as it was such a breach in etiquette and being what he was he could not handle it well.

They both went silent. They would be speaking to Fela about his method of punishment as stripping of her blades, even as in this case on temporarily and as an example, was far too harsh. He knew this but he had never been spoken to in such a way.

The thing that had made Amarose so upset was that Fela forced her to relive the situation. Granted, she had sense now to fight but the memory was still so fresh...did he just not care? No, he did. Hvedra had just told her so. He was doing what he could to make sure that she was able to defend herself. And yet, she remained upset. The feeling was only natural, of course.

Veravada turned to her, a stern look upon the dragon's face. She tentatively reached a mental touch toward her Rider, cautiously testing how the human girl felt. The touch was warm, understanding, and comforting...Amarose could feel it within her soul and relaxed a bit, asking Veravada to lift her paw so she might retrieve her weapons.

The purple dragon blew a puff of smoke and shook her snout, denying the girl access. She wanted the Rider to apologize to Fela.

Amarose's anger was then redirected to her dragon. Fine, don't give me my weapons then, she said coldly, briskly walking in the opposite direction. She remained alert at all times, making sure she wasn't going to run into either the dwarf or elf. She had no desire to talk to anyone. Eventually she was going to have to apologize, but she was still far too upset to do it. After feeling her stomach rumble a few times, she went to the common dining hall to take care of her hunger. She got plenty of fruit and sat down at an empty table, eating in silence, closing her mind off to everyone, even her own dragon.

While she at a small pair of dwarf children, both of the Ingeitum, came and sat by her to eat their breakfast. They did not pester her just sat eating. They were each adorable with sky blue eyes deep golden hair and soft pale skin. They ate quietly, politely, and quite daintily and the boy, clearly the elder, was very careful to help his sister with her food and keeping herself clean.

The little girl sneezed and knocked over Amarose's glass. Whimpering she began to cry begging for the Rider not to use magic on her. Her brother replaced the liquid wiping up the spill. "Please great Rider do not harm us...it was only an accident."

They both stared at her in shock. Glaedr, used to teaching, broke through her defenses and spoke. "No one has told of last night's events. These two are but innocent children. Watch yourself hatchling. They, like so many others, hold the Riders and Dragon in terrified awe. It is up to you to fix that image. You must begin to repair the damage Tylok caused last night."

He retreated from her mind pulling up his own defenses which were much more formidable than her own.

Even without Glaedr's prodding, Amarose knew that she would have to take care to be kind to the girl. Her anger melted away as she looked down at the dwarf children, and her heart reached out toward the girl. Amarose pulled her onto her lap, hugging her, displaying warmth and kindness that belied her previous state.
"It's quite alright, child. It know that you are not at fault. Accidents happen. Do you have a name?"

"Geneve...My brother is Heldin." Her lower lip quivered, threatening tears, but she relaxed when Amarose hugged her tighter. She gave a small smile. "I am sorry, Rider. Did it spill on you? I'm sorry if it did..." She looked down, keeping her eyes to the floor.

Chuckling, the female Rider answered, "No, it did not, but even if it did, I have plenty of clothing. You...remind me of myself, Geneve. When I was little, I went around doing much worse things." She laughed, thinking upon memories. What she told Geneve had been true, however, as Amarose was often labeled as a naughty, poor child who didn't have manners, but was fragile and easy to cry. "Besides, when you grow older, you'll be a beautiful woman with grace and poise. I can see it already."

"You mean like you?" The dwarf girl's eyes sparkled, enthralled with the idea of growing up to be like Amarose.

"Well, I...thank you, Geneve." A sad smile appeared on her face, knowing that that she hadn't acted with grace and poise earlier that morning. She set Geneve down beside her so the three could continue their meal. Time passed as the Rider told the two children about funny stories from her days as an apprentice, making them laugh with delight. After an hour's time, a woman came to collect her children, and Amarose bid them farewell, hoping to see them later on.

She walked then, admiring the city's halls and stalling going back to the dragon keep. But...she did feel bad, and wanted to apologize for her actions. Seeing Grunel in a hallway, she stopped him, asking if he had seen Fela.

"I'm sorry, lady-Rider, but I haven't seen him since he walked into the courtyard this morning. He seemed a bit off-put. Is everything alright?" He face expressed genuine concern, but Amarose waved it off, assuring him that everything was okay. It wasn't that she was trying to hide anything, but she was the type to not want a private matter turn public.

Returning to the Dragon's Keep, she sat by a sleeping Veravada and a resting Jurizen, waiting for her master to return. In the meantime, she thanked Glaedr for his advice (as was proper of an apprentice) even though his mind was shut, and she went through words of the Ancient Language out loud, practicing even the most simple of spells to those more complicated.
Behind her, Veravada woke but said nothing, just watching her Rider, knowing she was calm now.

Fela meanwhile was outside the city training with his blade. Hethdar seemed to repel all light and like most elven blades had a single hand hilt, based with a jet black diamond, and a curved blade though it was odd in that both edges were sharpened, and also had another secret that only Fela and Jurizen knew about. They had forged the weapon together the stone at the base etched with the rune for darkness. At the name of the blade the stone and the rather thick blade split down the middle splitting the stone as well. He began to dance through his selfmade form his now dual blades whirling and dancing about in a tornado of death.

With dual edged blades and the knowledge and experience of millenia he could make the blades do literally anything he want. He flipped, spun, and rolled slashing, cutting, and stabbing his way along coming upon a number of thick trees. He hissed seeing them and with a pair of wicked slashes he cut down each one. He then slashed each falling tree into short logs splitting the logs into small sections. When he surveyed the damage he saw that he had created a circle of kindling around him revealing the badly rotted innards of each tree and the grubs that were killing the grove and the grass within it.

Snapping his blades to angles beside him as he bellowed, "Brisingr!!!"

The grove and kindling burst into jet black flames devouring the wood, the stumps, the grass, the grubs, and even burning the ground beneath clean of the filth. He stood in the center of the burning dipping his blades into the flame resuming his forms moving into his favorite. The Flame Dance. Eragon had used Brisingr to develop the basis of the form using the blade's flames as well as it's other parts to destroy foes, and Fela had found it quite useful as well.

After the flames had finished their work he extinguished them and repeating the blade's name he made it one again then out of habit wiped it though the flames had cleaned it entirely, then sheathed the blade.

Reaching into the energy Jurizen had made for them both he revitalized the earth and regrew the now thick lush grass, and with a smile watched as the trees were replaced growing even larger than before but now full and healthy each bearing a different kind of succulent fruit. Picking some from each he thanked the trees then taking the fruit he went up to the Dragon's keep.

Seeing Amarose he nodded and set the pouch before her. "Enjoy."

He walked over to Jurizen and scratched the dragon's horn. "Hey big fellow." The dragon growled happily seeing him.

A pang of guilt washed through Amarose as Fela gave her the pouch of fruit, and she bowed her head as a way of thanks while he walked away. She inspected the pouch out of curiosity and noted that most of them were things she loved— berries, apples, peaches, and quite a few others that she knew would make for a nice meal or snack. Why did he do this? Give these to her even though he was upset with her? It was baffling for her young mind, and she put the fruits back and stood up.

Fela was greeting his mighty black dragon. She looked on, unsure how to approach the duo...they were having a private moment, so would she be rude to interrupt it? But, she knew what had to be done, and she knew it had to be done sooner rather than later because if she didn't, it would be pushed back and it would eventually never get done. Fruit pouch in hand, she walked to her instructor, head bowed down out of respect.

"Here," she said, offering him the pouch. "This is yours...I cannot accept it, not after what I have done. I am thankful though, and touched that you thought of me even when you were angry. It's actually a nice array of fruits, the aroma is wonderful and it's also pleasing to the eye and—" Amarose paused, taking a deep breath. She was getting off topic. Apologies had never been her strong point, and it was uncomfortable to admit she was wrong...especially to Fela, who had praised her multiple times.

"Anyway, I came to tell you that- that I'm sorry. I'm sorry for my actions this morning. They were uncalled for, and I broke the etiquette that my masters have worked hard to train me in. Please take my apology...I hope my image has not been too tarnished in your eyes, but I understand if it is already ruined. I also know that I have caused us to waste time here, and I'm sorry for that as well." The girl looked into Fela's eyes, her own watering up with glistening, unshed tears. Stepping past him for a moment, she placed the fruits with the rest of his belongings, then gave him a small smile and promptly turned away.

Amarose couldn't help the feeling that she was going to cry for the second time within a period of 24 hours, but she tried to hold it in. Years of hardening herself up were suddenly gone, replaced by a vulnerability she hadn't felt in a long, long time. She couldn't believe it; for all the sarcasm and attitude she showed to her elders, only one had been able to break it, and it was the one she had known for less than a week. Refusing to seem weepy, she bit back tears of shame and focused on packing her belonging, relaxing against the bed of blankets and pillows.

Fela gently took her hand stopping her from leaving. He put the pouch back into her hands. "Listen. We both acted rashly. You were disrespectful and I overreacted for which i apologize. You had every reason but you must realize that Jurizen and I would never harm you. If nothing Glaedr and Umaroth would never allow it."

He gently pulled her into a hug.

"We will pack and fly to Surda. Once we leave Surda you should prepare for the spontaneous training exercises such as the one this morning. You must have the knowledge and ability to protect yourself."

He gently stepped away from her going to finish packing his own things.

Jurizen winked at Amarose.

"We will not return to Farthen Dur until they decide upon their new monarch and this should take some time. When we reach Surda expect some severe attitude. The current King Horace is married to their young Rider Samantha. He detests elves, is notorious for finding ways to enhance his power. He will try to influence you and convince you to help them increase their power. He means well but Samantha is very protective of her husband and people and has been known to overreact. So watch yourself with the King and Queen. She is a Rider but she has withdrawn from our order as she is far too busy defending Surda to do the usual Rider's duties."

Fela said all of this mechanically.

Glaedr filled in the blanks. "Samantha is a very young Rider. She is two years younger than you actually. She refused to come train with the other Rider's and she does not treat her dragon like a partner but like a pet or some beast. Fela has never been kind to such Rider's nor ahd he had much use for them. nor have I for that matter."

Umaroth rumbled, "Nor I."

Veravada and Jurizen agreed.

"So unless she is much different it is best we get there and leave rapidly."

The best part about having an instructor like Fela Turin was that he was just as stern as any other Elder but also compassionate as any friend. And god knew Amarose needed friends...she tended to scare people away with her straightforward personality, save for those who could match her fire with their own. The hug was startling in a way, but she gladly accepted it, smiling against Fela's chest and grinning still when he let go. She ran off to freshen up, ridding herself of the sweat from the Rimgar and putting on fresh clothing (this time fitted pants, a lowcut tunic and vest, and leather traveling boots). She left her usually tied-up hair hanging down on her back, leaving the damp light-brown waves to air dry. Now she was completely relaxed as she packed her own things, rolling up her blankets and other various items, attaching them securely to her dragon.

Veravada was happy to present her Rider with the long-knives, lifting her paw and pushing them forward. Amarose thanked her dragon and took them, securing them on the belt that hung about her hips. In this preferred attire, she looked like the a perfect image of a Rider, and she was proud to be one. As she packed the last of everything, leaving the fruit pouch in a convenient spot so she could just reach in and grab one, she tightened Veravada's saddle so it was snug against her body. Turning around, she saw the many clan leaders and dwarf families gathering to see them off and wish them a safe journey. Suddenly, a small blonde girl bounded forth from the crowd, crying, "Amarose!" She tugged on the Rider's sleeve, a bright smile on her face.

"Geneve!" her mother exclaimed, running after her daughter.

Laughing, Amarose picked the child up and hoisted her on the dragon's saddle. "It's quite alright. Come, Geneve, Veravada won't bite, I promise."

"I want to be a Rider, too!" the dwarf child exclaimed, wide eyed and giddy as she bounced up and down on the saddle. "Momma, when I grow up, I want to be a Rider."

Amarose smiled and brushed a strand of hair away from the girl's face. "Well, if it is the will of the dragons, I'm sure you would make an excellent Rider. I'll tel you what. When I come back, I'll take you to fly with me. How does that sound?"

Geneve eagerly nodded her head, giggling from excitement.

"Good. Atra ilian tauthr ono." May happiness follow you. With that, Amarose sent the girl to her mother, smiling as she heard the woman express her thanks. She turned to Fela and Jurizen. "Thank you, ebrithil. Shall we go?"

Grinning, Amarose waved a final goodbye and launched into the afternoon air, clenching her dragon as she got the familiar feeling of her stomach dropping. She turned west, planning to follow the southern shores of Alagaesia to get to Surda. Her mind raced with questions about Samantha, including several about her marriage and status as a Rider, but she decided it would be better to save them for a later time, when both Fela nd herself were cruising comfortably above the clouds.

Fela watched Amarose with the dwarf child proudly smirking as her brother spoke up. "And I shall take you my dear friend. But not until we return. Perhaps by then the eggs will be here."

He knew that two eggs had been set aside for the dwarves and he had a odd feeling about these too children. So did the dragons. But for now they kept their peace though they looked at Amarose thoughtfully and Glaedr spoke only to the other three elders. "She is much like Eragon. Everything she does has a touch of history and destiny."

Fela nodded and bounded into the saddle with a smile and a farewell wave.

Jurizen took the chance to perform a number of acrobatics and blew a jet of black fire in salute before crying out vocally. Fela stared at his dragon in ecstatic awe as the dragon said,"Farewell dwarvikim. Made the stones under your feet never crumble."

His words shook the air about him and the very stone beneath the dwarves indeed seemed to grow stronger turning into a jet black stone that the dwarves had never seen. One of the Ingetium produced a pick and struck a blow. The stone did not show any sign nor make any sound. Jurizen blew more flame laughing and flew off as the dwarves exclaimed over the stone and Fela exclaimed that Jurizen had actually spoken himself though Jurizen reminded the elf they had students to instruct.

With a huff Fela explained to his students that Jurizen had in fact made the stone a number of times, it was even part of their armor and Hethdar held quite a bit of it. The flames needed to melt it had been so hot that they had discovered a number of advanced magics and fire breathing techniques to achieve it and by combining it with brightsteel giving it the flexibility it needed to be used and worn it achieved remarkable results. They theorized the stone was an earthly form of the brithsteel itself and they intended to make a large gift of it to Rhunon for her forging as she had so little brightsteel and though she had managed to work around her oath she could still not forge weapons herself so now had turned to shaping armor for all races.

Fela sighed as he heard Amarose's and Veravada's interest in Smaantha and her poor dragon. "Ask away my dears. We shall endeavor to answer any question you have truthfully. But we cannot not tell you all for we do not know. Should that occur you shall have to be satisfied with our ignorance."

While he said this Umaroth spoke to Veravada though he let Amarose hear. "You should learn more from Jurizen, try to speak vocally. If we all learn to do thus our power shall grow even more as we may be able to control the infinite magics that forge our bones."

Seizing the seeming silence Fela was, with Jurizen, positively beaming about the dragon's latest act. Jurizen just smiled clearly pleased and perhaps a touch embarrassed. "It's not that big a deal."

Fela made a number of dismissive noises at this while Umaroth chuckled to himself and Glaedr happily reported that though he had done his very best he knew of no time when any other dragon in history had spoken aloud. The possibilities had all four dragons in the purest of ecstasies until Fela remembered. "oh dear... You can't do it again in Surda...Not with Samantha around...such power..."

He looked over at Amarose but all four spoke as once. "Veravada and Amarose. You will both swear not to speak of this incident to anyone....Hvedra is already gaining oaths from everyone present to the same effect..." Umaroth spoke only to the elders for a moment and Fela nodded. "But should you prove worthy we shall endeavor to teach Veravada to speak and perhaps harness her magics. But you must give you word. Immediately."

RE: Into the Riders' Legacy [Ariamella & Greeneyed23]

The sun was beating down with a subdued sort of heat as the pair of Riders plus the eldunari flew west along the coast, the blue seas on one side and the Beors on the other. They would hopefully make it to Surda either that night or the following morning, though Amarose hoped they would arrive swiftly. "Yes, of course, Fela," Amarose nodded, giving an oath in the Ancient Language. It was indeed a treat to see so much power in the hands of a single dragon, weilded into an almost magical stone. Veravada expressed her own thanks for the elder pair's display of strength as well as their offer to teach her how to speak. The purple dragon flew smoothly, thinking to herself about what might happen if she released magic whenever she spoke. But, that day was far off, and the dragon wanted to discover all that she might accomplish little by little.

After a few minutes of mental silence, reflected by the quiet wind and the dull thuds of the dragon wings, Amarose casually took out an apple from the pouch Fela had given her, and bit into it. A satisfying, crisp crunching noise met her ears, and she swallowed the bite before asking, "I thought that once a Rider was chosen, they had to train as one. Why was Samantha not brought back for her training?" This was the biggest question she wanted to ask, but there were others in addition to that main one. "And the way she treats her dragon...did she even give her companion a name? Or taken it out to fly? Or spoke to it through their shared mental bond? Doesn't she...doesn't she love her dragon, as you love Jurizen? Or as I love Vera?" Amarose's hand subconsciously reached out to pat a softer spot on her dragon's neck, and she sent forth feelings of love and friendship.

She wondered about other things, such as whether Samantha was pretty, if the Surdan King was handsome, and what kind of power he would want with someone like Amarose. The girl kept those thoughts hidden though, from everyone save Veravada, for these thoughts were things only a young woman would care about. She finished off the apple, taking out a handkerchief to wipe some of the juices from her mouth and fingers. It truly was a delicious fruit; she would have to thank Fela for it later.

"Have you met the royal couple, then? What are they like?"

Upon gaining the oath from his students Fela sighed touching Jurizen's shoulder. "Will you ever stop surprising me my friend?"

"Probably not elf."

Fela laughed and rubbed at the space between two neck spikes making the huge dragon shudder happily.

Amarose's question did startle them both a bit but not badly. They had slipped into a reminiscence about an old friend, the same friend who had told them about Samantha and her poor dragon.

"Samantha refused to come train with us. Apparently the king also refused to let her go. Surda has long had issues with dragon since Galbatorix and Shuriken and then later Eragon and Saphira. They do not trust us. I suspect that if she is exposed to the true nature of the dragons we may be able to jolt her out of her fugue. At least I hope so. I do not know/ We shall speak to the dragon as well as to her immature Rider. if she is open to us then i expect you to serve as the proper example of a loving Rider and her excellent dragon."

Jurizen growled but Fela ignored this. "Scaletongue here and I are a bit odd for the Surdans. They do not fly according to reports. Everything else we shall have to see. I hope I am wrong about her and maybe she is just too scared or maybe she has been doing more with her dragon than the reports say. Either way we will be polite and as helpful as we may be."

"Remember Amarose I have not been in Alagaesia in more than a century. When i was last here Orran great grandson had just died in battle."

He sighed. "Fool of a boy. But very brave. Very kind to Jurizen. Gave him a whole cow." jurizen grunted. "Very tasty. Young tender meat. Hooves good fiber."

Fela laughed rubbing the space between the neck spikes again. "So when we arrive I will distract Horace. You five speak to the dragon. Learn about her."

"I would imagine that lifestyle isn't very healthy for both the girl and her dragon," the young Rider commented. "If I ever treated Vera as I would an unintelligent beast, she would probably have my head right then and there!" Amarose laughed heartily and leaned forward to rest her body against her dragon. Veravada simply blew out a puff of smoke, sending feelings of both amusement and irritation through the mental link.

Only nervous thoughts flitted through the girl's mind, lingering on how King Horace and his wife would receive her. If the experience was to be anything like with Tylok, then she had much to worry about. And if it wasn't... Well, she would still have much to worry about. She chewed lightly on her bottom lip, both excited and nervous that Fela-elda would put so much faith in her being a proper role model for Samantha, considering that she was even with him because she had been deemed a "problem apprentice" among the other elders. What advice could she possibly offer the girl, other than the basic responsibilities toward her dragon? Oh, her dragon... How sad it seemed, to not know the expanse of freedom that every dragon had rights to since the beginning of time. Amarose felt an awkward rustle from Vera as she flew, reflecting the thoughts of Samantha's dragon.

"Fela... How will you distract Horace? And what do I learn what about her?" Amarose asked, head cocked to the side in minor confusion. "And what of Samantha? If she decides that she doesn't want anything to do with me, how do I assess her dragon?" Questions filled her mind, and she sighed against her dragons neck. It was good that they were quite a ways away from Surda, as it gave her more time to think. But being herself, it was only natural that she felt compelled to wing it more than anything... While managing to not make Horace or Samantha upset. Hopefully, she could pull enough charm out of her character to negate Horace's disliking for the elves, putting him and Fela on better footing.

In front of them, the sun had begun to set, bringing a slight yellow-orange tint to the sky. And slightly to the left of the sunset were a think bunch of nimbus clouds hovering over the sea, darkening up the area.

That storm... Once it is here, we must continue on foot and make camp once night falls. I am young, and my wings may not match the gales of the storm that approaches. Veravada said this calmly, spreading her thoughts over to Fela and Jurizen.

Fela sighed. "Horace entirely my problem my dear. He will not treat with you so do not try. Be polite and respectful but no more. He is a very proud man. As with Samantha i do not want you to approach her as a Rider. Nor her Dragon. I want you to become her friend. Simply be a friend to her and she will tell you far more than if you tried to worm it out of her. Besides you do not have the full authority of the Riders behind you in this matter."

Jurizen grumbled again.But we do. My elf and I are to be the overwhelming storm like the oncoming hurricane. You hatchlings are to be the peaceful garden in the center. We are to strike fear and awe. You will provide refuge from us. We will not attempt to harm or even feign it but I am certain that the sight of us alone will be most alarming to the young pair. You will help them see both the wisdom and foolishness of their fear of us. No Rider or Dragon should have cause to fear another. If they do then they are not true to their purpose and that MUST be remedied.

Fela nodded smiling and after some while pointed at a large valley road that was currently empty. "Tuck wing and land there. We shall walk on as Veravada suggests. The valley will protect us from the worst of the winds and when even those come we will find shelter in a large cave i recall near here."

Jurizen let his wings empty of air and quickly lowered himself to the ground carefully folding his wings in place so the wind would not catch their mass while Fela walked along the Dragon's back applying a soothing salve to his joints the Dragon explaining that walking was aggravating to th3 large Dragon and offering some to Veravada.

Being polite and respectful was often synonymous with holding her tongue, Amarose noted, face expressionless as she nodded to her instructor, only replying, "Yes, Fela-elda."

Friends. That couldn't be so bad, could it? She smirked to herself; just because she didn't have many friends didn't mean she was an unfriendly person. All she had to do was find things to talk about. Men? She shook her head, remembering that Samantha was protective of her husband. Her dragon? That too was a bad idea. Amarose sighed quietly, making a subtle hand gesture to direct Veravada to the valley road. The mild wind that preceded the storm had already begun to arrive, and she shivered as it made her honey-brown hair whip around her shoulders and into her face. She quickly tied it up with a spare leather string before hopping off her dragon, allowing Vera to accept the salve from Fela while she paused to rework her hair in a loose but intricate braid. Amarose grinned at her dragon's reaction to the medicine, seeing her stretch happily before taking a couple steps forward.

"You're prepared for everything, aren't you?" she asked Fela and Jurizen. "Thank you. I didn't even know such a salve exists. But I apologize for the inconvenience. I know you are much more accustomed to flying, Jurizen."

It was only five hours past noon, but the sky was darkening with the looming thunderclouds that had yet to shed their rain upon the earth. The air was awfully humid, almost sticky, and Amarose knew the downpour was... 10? 15 minutes away? Taking a mostly water-resistant traveling cloak from the saddle bag, she donned it, the emerald green cloth striking beautifully against her violet eyes. Those eyes scanned the area, alert even though the road seemed empty. Various trees filled the area, some places thicker with the greenery than others. The valley was large, large enough to know that there was a possibility of other travelers in the area, and on either side of the valley expanse were two slopes that lead upwards to above the small mountains. It was quiet, probably because of the oncoming storm, but it was relaxing in a way. The only sound that could be heard was the breeze that grew slightly stronger with each minute, and the solid thuds of both dragons' claws padding against the dirt road.

Soon enough the rain started, beginning as a light sprinkling then growing into a large downpour. The deafening sound of water against the earth drowned out all other noise, and the ground seem to rattle with the boom of thunder, and flash of lightning. Not wanting to raise her face into the onpour of rain, the young Rider kept her head down but reached out a tentative thought to her master. Like before, her own consciousness felt small and isolated compared to the vastness of Fela's mind, but she sent forth her message without violating his privacy: May we converse this way? The storm is... Loud. Her tone held the hint of a smile, and her own mind opened up its thoughts while skirting and dancing on the edge of Fela's mind. Although he was her mentor, it was only proper for her to maintain formality and respect when seeking permission to enter another being's mind. The pattering of rain drenched her unprotected extremities, and a shiver ran up her spine. It was an odd sensation: the air was warm, but the wind against her wet skin made her feel cold... She didn't mind so much though, and continued walking with her dragon.

RE: Into the Riders' Legacy || Ariamella & Greeneyed23

Fela smiled while Jurizen grumbled speaking top all three in their minds. "it is best to be prepared as best as possible hatchlings. And the salve is a special blend made by the Old Ones."

Fela smiled as he carefully wrapped the saddle and other things down tightly to ensure they would not get wet and cause blisters or rubbing on Jurizen's heavy scales then carefully set to work helping hsi partner to push his wings down into place along his back making it safe for him to walk. As they work Jurizen spoke to his students Fela too busy. "it is fine young one. I would not wish to fly in the oncoming myself and I will never risk you or Veravada. Especially not for my own comfort."

Fela nodded as he gathered his weapons and his jacket, a slicker that would repel the rain perfectly and pulled them on then pulled out an odd hood that hooked onto Jurizen's highest neckspikes and the 'horns' on his head, and then smile as Jurizen now had a sort of hat to protect his eyes from the rain. Of course the water would not actually hurt the huge Dragon in anyway but it did make him happy and Fela explained. "No point in enduring anything without cause. Would you like one as well Veravada?"

He held out a slicker in a much smaller size to Amarose. "Please. Just in case i don't want your weapons wet."

When the rain started and they had walked already some distance Jurizen having fallen silent his huge eyes probing the world all around them his massive tail flicking back and forth sweeping over the road behind them like a broom brushing away the signs of their passages that were even thicker because of their talons and weight in the thick mud. When Amarose made her request Fela smiled and replied in kind. But of course. What is it you wish to discuss? Jurizen broke in. Yes. you both must have questions.

RE: The Riders' Legacy || Ariamella & Greeneyed23

Amarose gladly took the slicker and hood, fastening the jacket upon herself and the hood upon Veravada just as Fela had done with Jurizen. The purple dragon found it awkward at first, fidgeting with the part that clasped around one of her headspikes and shaking her head side to side in weak attempts to free herself from the hood. But after some light enncouragement from Amarose, Veravada accepted it and was at least grateful for the shield against the splatter of water. Amarose laughed when her dragon grumbled upon what a pain it would be to clean the mud off her giant claws, growling slightly each time her talons sank into the dirk. At least you're no where near as heavy as Jurizen, the female rider reminded her dragon, Though I'm sure he doesn't even complain half as much as you do.

But they remove the shine from my claws and muddy the scales on my foot. It's not beautiful, the dragon countered, snout high in the air.

Vain as ever, Vera?

Not as vain as you, love. Amusement colored the dragon's tone as she walked on, slightly behind and to the right of Jurizen.

The young rider's face reddened for a moment before she shrugged, brushing it off even though she knew it to be true. It wasn't so much vanity as it was pride, but the origin of the two feelings were the same. Turning her attention to Fela, she said, It's not so much of Surda that I want to talk about. I was wondering if you could tell me more about your culture... I mean, we're required to know some of it because of Rider training, as you know, but I've never actually stepped inside Du Weldenvarden. It must be a blessing to have magic run through your veins. The girl laughed for a moment, a melodic, genuine sound in comparison to her usual sarcastic chuckle. It was funny. When we went through our first magic training, it took me longer than most to find my magic. I was always envious of my elven friends. She shook her at the memory, smiling to herself.

Back
Top Bottom