Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Superheroine Peril / Mutants and Masterminds

experimenter73

Super-Earth
Basic Concept:

The players would be between 2-4 female college students in a world where superheroes and supervillains are real. They become the newest targets of a strange villain who is infecting people with a serum that gives them strange superpowers. The news coverage of these infecrted people has shown them going crazy and attacking innocent people around them. For some reason, it is different with these heroines.

Despite this, they find themselves hunted by both the government, who fears them, and the villain, who wants to study them.

Themes and Important Elements:

Bondage, Peril, Torture, Torment, Death traps, and wicked predicaments will be the name of this particular game. Their likely failures when faced with the odds stacked against them will see them suffer at the hands of vile people who will delight at their tears and ignore their pleas.

Mutants and Masterminds, 3rd Edition:

Previous knowledge of the game is unimportant. You don't need to own any of the materials. This will not be a game that rewards power-gaming and point maximization. The game itself plays very smoothly and allows for fun super-heroic action. The only challenging part to the learning curve, really, is character creation.

If you've never made a M&M character, then you can just let me know the sort of character you'd like to make and I can do the creation for you and then go over what it all means.

The Heroines:

Your character will be created in two steps. First, you'll need to decide who you were as a regular student on campus. What were you studying? What are your hobbies? How do you dress? What makes you who you are? After all of the characters are created, you can decide if any of you know each other and whether you're friends.

Then, we will create your character's heroic profile. For this, you basically just need to describe what sort of powers you want your character to have. For game purposes, they will be Power Level 7, which is the typical power level of side-kick-type characters. The initial powers should be a little erratic and challenging, but there will be room for these heroines to grow into their potential!

Logistics:

Right now, I am thinking this will be run in a play-by-post system. I am thinking we'll set up two or three days per week to work as deadlines for everyone to post what they will do. That will give us time to contact eachother with questions or coordination between those times. It will make for a slower paced story, but if we each put in a good amount of story with each post, I think it will move forward at a reasonable pace.

But, I'm open to other ideas on that front as well! If we all decide to play live once a week on Discord or something, that could work, too.

Interested?

If you're interested, drop a comment here to let me know your thoughts on how it would run... and, more importantly, let me know about the chracter you would like to play... both as a regular college student and a heroine to be.

I feel this is a bit closer to the idea, though I see a definite foundation from the one built by Experimenter73. Though I want the hair continuous and separate, Please.

I want to give a better understanding of the prehensile hair idea. Her discovery of her hair power is going to be as she rushes to get ready for some important event, she dashes into the shower and as she dresses afterwards, she has to brush her teeth and do her makeup, fix her hair and adjust her blouse, and she freezes as she sees herself in the mirror, her hands adjusting her blouse, a thick band of hair working a toothbrush, while another strand of her hair is putting on eyeshadow and another lipstick, the towel is being hung up by yet another strand, while the rest is working itself into an intricate braid. Or something like that. I think precise, multiple actions is more where I was going with this, though being able to elongate and strengthen it to grapple would be a nice add on later if I can't start with it. Mobility was never a thought, though I like the idea and if we can keep the points to make it happen great. This could be her only power to start with or some strength enhancements or such.

Variable sounds closer to what I was thinking, and yeah mostly chitin armor, scorpion tail, cat's claws. Running on all fours like a cheetah for extreme bursts of speed, mimicking a flea's leg structure for jumping several stories vertically. I really see things like wings needing to grow to, that is actually adding limbs, not adjusting them. As I don't see her giving up her hands to make wings of her primary arms. Perhaps a limiter that I can only make 2 mods at a time, like ant strength and armor. One that I can buy off at a later date.
The only thing I would note is just that I think the gm has a plan in mind for how our powers first manifest so it might not be the event thing you had in mind initially

From what was mentioned it seems we'll probably be all near each other when we get our powers, and it'll probably be off the cuff.

Yeah, I kept experiementer73's main build and just adjusted a few things. Like, giving Close attack instead of the Close Combat skill, since CC (Unarmed) wouldn't apply to attacks with Tiger Claws, or a Shark's Bite for example.

We can try that, though, we'll likely have to take points away from Variable. We'd have to see if @experimenter73 thinks that flaw is enough of a flaw for a drawback. If I have to pull a rank out of Variable, you'll only have 20pp anyways.

How many limbs do you want to be able to make from your hair? If you want them to be Continuous, it costs 2pp/limb. Taking 1 rank from Variable power would let you buy 3 of them.
Three would be beautiful, yes. With precise can I use them like extra hands? Like have two typing while a third puts on my lipstick, all while I use my hands to work on the truck or something?

I want to double-check continuous means always active, correct? Like I have to actively suppress it? I almost want it to have a mind of its own. Not sure how far I want to push that. More over, I will play it like it has a mind of its own, but not problematic. Yeah, I like that.

I am so good with the precise extra, and I am not trying for extra actions during combat. That would be super speedster kind of things, I was just hoping to do lots of mundane thigs outside of the combats. Though in certain situations, possibly speed up repairs on the truck or assembly of the wonder tool that our tech genius designs or something. Situational circumstances. If I learn to fly I can run both the pilot and copilot position, etc.

Do we have a few points for mechanic? And possibly an old work truck? Say a 1969 Dodge Powerwagon with the extended cab?

@The Harbinger

Extra Limbs default to Permanent, meaning that they always exist. Like Goro from Mortal Kombat always having 4 arms. Nothing short of having your power Nullified stops you from having these arms. (And with the Innate Extra, they can't be nullified either)

Sustained (which costs the same as Permanent), requires a free action each round to keep them in existence. So, if you're knocked out or otherwise unable to take a free action, your hair would stop being limbs and turn to normal hair. You could also just stop sustaining the power.

Continuous is like Sustained, except it doesn't require that free action, so, if you get knocked out, they still exist. The problem is, that if you're unconscious, they wouldn't be able to take actions to like, drag you away to safety or anything. So, mechanically, I don't think you're really getting anything out of them being continuous, and should probably just be the default Permanent, perhaps with Precise and Subtle 2, so, no one could tell you have hair limbs until you use them, which would be like turning them off. That would cost the same 6 points as having just 3 continuous Extra Limbs.

In terms of speeding up things outside of combat, that would just be the Quickness power, which you might be able to manifest with your Variable.

When you say Mechanic, do you mean like for a skill to repair vehicles? That would generally be Expertise (Mechanic), and the Vehicle would be bought with the Equipment advantage. I'd need about 4pp for that. Unless I lowered your existing skill ranks, as a bonus of +5 is considered a professional, so we could steal a few points from those.

Then I would just need 2 points for the Equipment advantage to get your van. And then you'd also have 3 equipment points left over for stuff. As each rank gives 5 equipment points to spend, and a truck costs 7.

Yes, let's find those points, because
@The Harbinger

Extra Limbs default to Permanent, meaning that they always exist. Like Goro from Mortal Kombat always having 4 arms. Nothing short of having your power Nullified stops you from having these arms. (And with the Innate Extra, they can't be nullified either)

Sustained (which costs the same as Permanent), requires a free action each round to keep them in existence. So, if you're knocked out or otherwise unable to take a free action, your hair would stop being limbs and turn to normal hair. You could also just stop sustaining the power.

Continuous is like Sustained, except it doesn't require that free action, so, if you get knocked out, they still exist. The problem is, that if you're unconscious, they wouldn't be able to take actions to like, drag you away to safety or anything. So, mechanically, I don't think you're really getting anything out of them being continuous, and should probably just be the default Permanent, perhaps with Precise and Subtle 2, so, no one could tell you have hair limbs until you use them, which would be like turning them off. That would cost the same 6 points as having just 3 continuous Extra Limbs.

In terms of speeding up things outside of combat, that would just be the Quickness power, which you might be able to manifest with your Variable.

When you say Mechanic, do you mean like for a skill to repair vehicles? That would generally be Expertise (Mechanic), and the Vehicle would be bought with the Equipment advantage. I'd need about 4pp for that. Unless I lowered your existing skill ranks, as a bonus of +5 is considered a professional, so we could steal a few points from those.

Then I would just need 2 points for the Equipment advantage to get your van. And then you'd also have 3 equipment points left over for stuff. As each rank gives 5 equipment points to spend, and a truck costs 7.
This sounds good, how can we find the 4 points as I see the skills sitting very well for her background so far. Quickness power can come with growth as she learns to coordinate her limbs.

Yes, Mechanic for vehicle repair. Equipment for the truck is great, Cool, then equipment will include a 1980's walkman, a collection of '80s music on tape, a laptop, a hibachi grill, a chimanea and some cookware. IF this is too much it is RP description. Aside from the laptop. If not enough, add a cell phone?

Yes, let's find those points, because

This sounds good, how can we find the 4 points as I see the skills sitting very well for her background so far. Quickness power can come with growth as she learns to coordinate her limbs.

Yes, Mechanic for vehicle repair. Equipment for the truck is great, Cool, then equipment will include a 1980's walkman, a collection of '80s music on tape, a laptop, a hibachi grill, a chimanea and some cookware. IF this is too much it is RP description. Aside from the laptop. If not enough, add a cell phone?

And sorry, which version of the arms are we going with?

One place we could grab a point woukd be to sack the Connected feat. With no ranks in Persuasion, it doesn't really do much for you.

Also, I wasn't saying that we'd remove any skills just lower their ranks. In the rulebook, a +5 is considered a professional, since with an average result of 15, you can complete tough tasks easily. So, we could shift things around there and not have to spend extra points, then we'd just need 2pp for gear.

Which I'm not sure where to get from yet. Give me an hour or so, lol.

And sorry, which version of the arms are we going with?

One place we could grab a point woukd be to sack the Connected feat. With no ranks in Persuasion, it doesn't really do much for you.

Also, I wasn't saying that we'd remove any skills just lower their ranks. In the rulebook, a +5 is considered a professional, since with an average result of 15, you can complete tough tasks easily. So, we could shift things around there and not have to spend extra points, then we'd just need 2pp for gear.

Which I'm not sure where to get from yet. Give me an hour or so, lol.
should probably just be the default Permanent, perhaps with Precise and Subtle 2, so, no one could tell you have hair limbs until you use them, which would be like turning them off. That would cost the same 6 points as having just 3 continuous Extra Limbs.

I agree, she isn't connected to anyone except maybe North Atlantic Fishermen. Not going to play a big place in this game I don't think.

should probably just be the default Permanent, perhaps with Precise and Subtle 2, so, no one could tell you have hair limbs until you use them, which would be like turning them off. That would cost the same 6 points as having just 3 continuous Extra Limbs.

I agree, she isn't connected to anyone except maybe North Atlantic Fishermen. Not going to play a big place in this game I don't think.

Alright, here's the new version.

Name: Becca "The Harbinger" Harrigan
PL 7 (105pp)

Abilities (46pp)
Strength 3
Stamina 7
Agility3
Dexterity1
Fighting 4
Intellect 0
Awareness3
Presence2

Skills (22pp)
Expertise [Biology] (Int)+8 [8]
Expertise [Fishing] (Int)+6 [6]
Expertise [Mathematics] (Int)+8 [7]
Expertise [Mechanical] (Int)+8 [8]
Expertise [Prosthetics] (Int)+8 [7]
Vehicles (Dex) +9 [8]

Advantages (7pp)
Chokehold, Close Attack 3, Equipment 2, Power Attack

Powers
Extra Limbs (1pp/rank) 3 (6pp)
-If you make a grab attack, for every limb you use beyond the required two,get +1 on the check, (max +5)
-Extra: Enhanced Advantage (Benefit [Ambidexterity])
-Extra: Subtle 2

Variable (Physical Traits; 7pp/rank) 4 (16pp) – Animal Mimicry
Gives a pool of 5 x rank to spend on powers. Standard Action to change
-Alternate Effect: Morph 3 (Animals)
-Flaw: Limited (Only traits possessed by animals) (-1pp/rank)
-Flaw: Check Required (DC 18 Expertise [Biology] Check) (-9pp)

Equipment
Truck (7ep), Smartphone (2ep), Laptop (1ep)

Combat
Attack +0 (Melee +7, Ranged +3); Initiative: +3; Hero Points 1

Defenses (1pp/rank)
Dodge (Ranged Defense): +5, Parry (Melee Defense): +7, Fortitude: +7, Willpower: +5, Toughness: +7

Complications
Family Criminal Background
Religious Code
Motivation (?)

Cost
Abilities 46 + Skills 22 + Advantages 7 + Powers 23 + Defenses 7 = 108

Now I know this seems like a push, but how far can the hair reach? Melee range, ten feet? I think the next step would be elongate to get some reach, but afraid that elongate was described as rediculous.

AS far as motivation, she is a student, once the powers set in, her motivation I guess, will be, 'To not become a villain'.

Currently, the hair would be normal melee range only (5ft). Not that you couldn't Variable power up some elongation, like an octopus or something. As an elongation user, it just provides the maximum you can stretch, you can always do less than that. 1 rank of elongation allows for 15ft, 2 for 30 ft. Flexibelle, with rank 7, can stretch 900ft.

Doing Good is my character's motivation, and I think that's a fine one.

I'm glad we were able to find a design you liked for the character.

I had a question about Insubstantial 4. When it says to 'choose one other reasonably common effect or descriptor that works on you while you are incorporeal.' What would be 'reasonably common'? I was originally thinking that Temperature and the environment would still affect me, but I don't know if that is necessarily 'reasonably common'.

Depends on what your descriptors are really. How are you becoming Insubstantial? Are you turning into a ghost? are your atoms separating just enough that other things pass through you? How do you see that occurring?

Now I know this seems like a push, but how far can the hair reach? Melee range, ten feet? I think the next step would be elongate to get some reach, but afraid that elongate was described as rediculous.
I won't have access to my book for another day, but I believe there's an extra designed specifically to give just a little bit of range to melee attacks - "reach" or something like that. It depends on how far you want it to go.

There is, but it's 1pp/5ft of reach, so, Elongation is better bang for your buck if you can finagle it.

Depends on what your descriptors are really. How are you becoming Insubstantial? Are you turning into a ghost? are your atoms separating just enough that other things pass through you? How do you see that occurring?
I was thinking more along the lines of the second one. It's got Subtle 2, so she looks wholly normal, and whenever she goes for something solid that isn't her, she goes through it.

Okay, so maybe like, Gravity based effects could force you back together and hurt you? or perhaps light based effects since they are also immaterial? That's something you'd need to talk with the GM about.

I wish I wasn't the type who had tons and tons of character ideas floating around in my head at all times. I have so many that could be fun for this game >.>

Okay, so maybe like, Gravity based effects could force you back together and hurt you? or perhaps light based effects since they are also immaterial? That's something you'd need to talk with the GM about.
Sounds like gravity would probably be the most reasonable. I'll probably go with that for now, lest @experimenter73 has any better ideas for what could be the weakness to the Insubstantiality.

I just wanna pop in here and ask if this is full? I'm super familiar with MnM 3rd and I would probably play a support character of some kind.

Happy New Year, everyone! It’s been a busy couple of days for me, but I will definitely get caught up and respond where needed!

From what I’ve skimmed, it looks like things are really coming together!

Back
Top Bottom